(Canterlot) An Eventful First Day (Open)

Conor Colton

Sterling Silver, proud Equestrian and one of the newest ponies to sign on to be a Royal Guard. Though, only just an adult, Sterling has always made it his goal in life to excel past his age in almost anyway he can, which has led him to the grand capital city of Canterlot. The Ponyville born stallion had always dreamed of one day being able to rise to the rank of being a Royal Guard, ever since he first laid eyes on one of them back home. To this unicorn, everything just seemed to fit; the armor, the authority, the respect, the responsibility, even the stance at which they constantly stood, he just loved everything about the job.

And after years of preparation and a fair bit of paperwork, the young stallion unicorn finally found himself where he had wanted to be; in Canterlot, on patrol, wearing the coveted armor he had seen all those years before. As soon as he was assigned his first duties and given that symbol of everything he ever wanted to be, the picturesque capital became a home away from home.

On his first day of patrol and assigned duties, Sterling took his first steps from his barracks out onto the rough dirt and then lovely paved stone of the city, feeling it under his newly acquired boot, grinning lightly as inside he was nearly exploding with enthusiasm. He kept his cool though, on the off-chance he seemed weak to his superiors, and possibly local trouble makers. He levitated out an issued map of the city and located his first post, roughly around main street and began a brisk trot there.

Once reaching his intended location, he looked around for anything that looked remotely like a guard post. Seeing nothing in the immediate area, yet being told there was a post there, he merely found a nearby wall and made his stand there, keeping the same stance he had seen when he was a young colt, feeling rather proud on the inside.

The stallion had been told that there would be another guard nearby, but seeing none at that moment, he opted to stay put and not risk something so early on the job, "[colour=#8b4513]Okay...first day...make it count.[/colour]" Sterling directed to himself as he looked at a nearby window, seeing his reflection and smiling back at himself. Whether or not this unicorn's first day at his dream job if eventful or not remains to be seen...

Radiant Steel was kind of excited. Something she had done must have impressed the upper brass, as for once she had been given a guard shift that wasn't at the deadest of dead hours in the middle of the night. It was a small thing, but to her it was evidence that maybe, finally, she was starting to move up in the world of the Guard. At the very least it was an important first step along her path to the greatness she desired. She was confident that soon she would be serving at the side of Princess Celestia herself.

To make things even more interesting, she was serving at this post with a trainee, a new recruit. She was a private herself, not too long past her trainee days, and most of the other guardsponies considered her something of an over stiff yet somehow still under-disciplined neophyte. She had never actually served with someone she actually had superiority over. This was going to be kind of different, but in an odd way she was looking forward to it. It was her opportunity to set an example for a new, fresh face. She hoped it went well.

After flying around her guard post a while, suddenly Radiant spotted a pony in armor. This had to be the one she was stationed with. He was a unicorn stallion with a silver coat, not too far off in age from her. He seemed to be staring into window for some reason. She gave a nod to herself and then flew down to meet him.

[colour=#ff0000]"So, you must be the trainee stationed to this post with me, huh?"[/colour] Radiant started in a stern voice. [colour=#ff0000]"What exactly are you looking at?"[/colour] she asked, nodding toward the window he had been looking into. [colour=#ff0000]"Being REA isn't about invading the privacy of others, cadet!"[/colour]

Sterling wasn't sure what to expect when he arrived at his first post when his partner got here, a pat on the back maybe? Some words of encouragement? Sufficed to say, Sterling can be ignorant at times. When Radiant dropped down next to him and began speaking directly to him he was compelled to jump out of his skin. Instead he opted to keep his form and turned to face the seemingly imposing pegasus and answer her questions promptly, "[colour=#8b4513]Yes, trainee Sterling Silver.[/colour]" He replied quickly, but wasn't as prepared for her neck question.

"[colour=#8b4513]Um, nothing. I was just looking-[/colour]" Then Sterling was at a loss of things to say. What could he have said? His own reflection? That would have been the truth but would he want to risk sounding so potentially pompous, or worse, invasive? He luckily didn't get a chance to answer since a rather direct statement was hurled in his face soon after, to which he responded, "[colour=#8b4513]Well, I wasn't, I mean, I wasn't doing that I, can't, wasn't...wait a second.[/colour]" He stated as he turned to look at the building he was looking into, and to his luck, it wasn't a place of residence, but rather a cafe, "[colour=#8b4513]Oh thank you, Celestia.[/colour]" He thought as he pointed to the window.

"[colour=#8b4513]With all due respect, I was merely...looking at these...lunc- dinner deals.[/colour]" Sterling saved himself, not even knowing if they had lunch hours. The unicorn brushed that off as a bad first impression, and now had a goal of fixing that if possible. The last thing he wanted was a partner that disliked him, so he decided to be a gentlecolt and introduce himself.

"[colour=#8b4513]My name's Sterling Silver, as I said, and I'm guessing you must be Radiant Steel, I saw your name in the assignment folder. Pleasure to meet you.[/colour]" He stated, extending a friendly hoof, hoping to Celestia that the stern exterior he saw wasn't the full embodiment of Radiant's personality, and hoping they could put this embarrassing incident behind them and work to become friends.

A few days ago, Night Watcher received an interesting assignment, one that she did not know what to make of. The Staff Sergeant was tasked to oversee the first day of a new recruit and his mentor. The mare typically didn't have much interaction with new recruits other than those placed in her squad. Usually other lower ranked ponies handled the training. But she was prepared to oversee what she needed and assess the two ponies under her charge. If anything it would be a diversion from her usual nightly patrols

The jet black pegasus donned her silvery Lunar Guard armor and proceeded to the guard post twhere she saw that the recruit and the mentor were there.

[colour=#800080]"Troops, attention," [/colour]she gave as a order, hoping that the two would follow suit.

"[colour=#8B4513]Yes, trainee Sterling Silver.[/colour] [colour=#8B4513]Um, nothing. I was just looking-[/colour] [colour=#8B4513]Well, I wasn't, I mean, I wasn't doing that I, can't, wasn't...wait a second.[/colour] [colour=#8B4513]With all due respect, I was merely...looking at these...lunc- dinner deals.[/colour]"

Radiant stared scrupulously at the young cadet. Okay, this guy was definitely suspicious. He fumbled through the lines he gave. At one point it looked like he didn't know what building he had even been staring into. How very curious... For all she knew, he had just spotted some pretty mare out of his corner of his eye in this cafe and been lustfully eyeing her not even sure where he was. Either way, it definitely caused Radiant to raise an eyebrow. She would have to watch this one like a haw and make sure he stayed in line! Being a soldier was not about flagrant delinquency!

"[colour=#8B4513]My name's Sterling Silver, as I said, and I'm guessing you must be Radiant Steel, I saw your name in the assignment folder. Pleasure to meet you.[/colour]"

The trainee spoke as he offered a hoof. Radiant opted not to take it, instead just offering a stern nod. [colour=#ff0000]"Correct! Private Radiant Steel, at your service!"[/colour] she said, raising her hoof in salute.

[colour=#ff0000]"You may be new to this, cadet, but if you hope to stay around, please make sure you have fully familiarized yourself with the REA code of conduct! Illicit behavior will not be tolerated and shall be dealt with accordingly!"[/colour] Radiant continued, keeping her strict tone, not buying into his fumbled claims.

[colour=#800080]"Troops, attention," [/colour]

The mare's focus was wrested from the trainee suddenly at a call to attention. She turned quickly around and at the site of a mare gave another stiff salute. it was a mare wearing the armor of the Lunar Guard, who's emblem indicated a rank of staff sergeant--not an officer, but still a superior. As such, Radiant kept fully at attention. She was used to seeing Lunar Guard being she mostly had been tasked with night posts and while it was her dream to serve at Celestia's side rather than that of her sister, she had a definite respect for the distinctively armored Lunar Guarsdponies.

[colour=#ff0000]"Yes sir, Sergeant!"[/colour] Radiant called, standing tall, still saluting. She wasn't sure what this mare had to say to them, but she was ready to listen.

Sterling admittedly didn't feel the most welcome at first, but he quickly decided to throw that schoolyard mentality out of his head, realizing this wasn't the time nor place for it. This was the military and right now he didn't have time for idle fascinations or making friends...though he did hope the latter would eventually come, after all if he had no friends then this job wasn't going to be as comfortable as he originally thought.

Sterling merely nodded at Radiant and didn't bother coming back with a fumbled reply, he saluted her as she saluted him, "[colour=#8b4513]Yes, Private Steel, won't happen again.[/colour]" he replied as professionally as he could. What he didn't expect next was seemingly a lunar guard walking up to them. He opted to give a similar approach like he did with Radiant.

He saluted promptly and stood at attention, "[colour=#8b4513]Yes, Sergeant![/colour]" Sterling said with Radiant, keeping his stance similar to hers.

Upon giving her command the two ponies immediately snapped to attention and saluted to the jet black pegasus. This was good sign that the two were able to follow simple commands at a moment's notice. This was the most fundamental piece of being a soldier, following order not from each other but from superiors. Even though she wasn't an officer, she still was their superior.

[colour=#800080]"At ease soldiers. My name is Staff Sergeant Night Watcher, leader of the first squad of the Lunar Guard."[/colour]

The mare noted that there was one error that the private made, which although trivial should be addressed.

[colour=#800080]"And that should be 'yes Sergeant' or 'yes mam' private. You are excused for that slip in your address this time, but do make note of it for the future."[/colour]

The Sergeant produced a clipboard and studied it for a moment before resuming addressing the other soldiers.

[colour=#800080]"My purpose here is to monitor the activities of Cadet Sterling Silver and his mentor Radiant Steel. Now cadet Silver, I will be examining your activities of your first day activities. Being that this is your first day of active patrol, you actions will not be as severly judged as it would be being in the service for a longer time. Nevertheless, I expect you to maintain what you have learned in training. Now private Steel, I will be examining how you instruct and guide cadet Silver. i will be making sure that you lead as a good example in your practices and in the way you teach him. Any questions from both of you?"[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"At ease soldiers. My name is Staff Sergeant Night Watcher, leader of the first squad of the Lunar Guard."[/colour]

Radiant lowered her hoof and gave an affirmative nod. She was more than ready for anything this mare had to say.

[colour=#800080]"And that should be 'yes Sergeant' or 'yes mam' private. You are excused for that slip in your address this time, but do make note of it for the future."[/colour]

The mare gave another nod. Superiors were always correcting her on her manner of address. Growing up in the household of the esteemed Major Steeledge, "yes sir" just became second nature for those she meant to show respect to. She now found herself using it for higher ranking soldiers regardless of gender. A lot of mares didn't bother to correct her, but every once in a while it evidently struck a chord as it had now. It was a habit she would really need to try and fix someday.

[colour=#ff0000]"Yes sergeant! Understood!"[/colour] Radiant called back staunchly, giving another affirmative nod.

[colour=#800080]"My purpose here is to monitor the activities of Cadet Sterling Silver and his mentor Radiant Steel. Now cadet Silver, I will be examining your activities of your first day activities. Being that this is your first day of active patrol, you actions will not be as severly judged as it would be being in the service for a longer time. Nevertheless, I expect you to maintain what you have learned in training. Now private Steel, I will be examining how you instruct and guide cadet Silver. i will be making sure that you lead as a good example in your practices and in the way you teach him. Any questions from both of you?"[/colour]

Radiant listened closely as the sergeant explained how things would work. In a way, this was beginning to sound like more of a chore. Evidently, she wasn't just stationed alongside a trainee, she was expected to actively mentor him and all of it was going to be monitored. it sounded like this was going to be just as much a test for her as it was for him. That was troubling... though she supposed if it went well it could very well be a valuable opportunity to prove her mettle. She had to just make sure everything went well here.

[colour=#ff0000]"All understood, sergeant! I'll do my part to shape this unremarkable cadet into true REA material!"[/colour] Radiant declared boldly, stomping a hoof and nodding.

• 2 weeks later...

Sterling held his stance and salute, answering his superior's superior quickly.

"[colour=#8b4513]No, ma'am. No questions required, ma'am. Ready to serve duties to the best of my abilities, ma'am![/colour]" Sterling stated clearly, as a small inner conflict in his head was wondering if he did indeed have any questions. He looked quickly at the two ponies with him, one was a Lunar Guard, and the other was a superior Sterling hadn't gotten off to the best of starts with. He would have gulped nervously had he the good sense not to.

He wasn't exactly surprised that Radiant was going to be his instructor, but that didn't make it any less daunting. For his first day, he prayed to Celestia that he wouldn't screw up. He put all doubt aside though, kept his chest puffed out and remained ready for anything.

Night Watcher awaited for any questions the two ponies might have. She noticed that the private seemed shocked that she was being reviewed by a superior officer. Nevertheless Night felt that all guards should do their duty as if an officer was watching them the entire time. At least, that was the theory. The Lunar Guard knew that often this wasn't the truth.

[colour=#800080]"Very well," [/colour]the guard said to her, [colour=#800080]"Now the first thing will be on presentation. The armor that we wear and the way we carry ourselves not only represents ourselves. It is a representation of the entire Royal Equestrian Army. So Private Steel, do inspect Cadet Silver's armor before we proceed on patrol." [/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Very well. [/colour][colour=#800080]Now the first thing will be on presentation. The armor that we wear and the way we carry ourselves not only represents ourselves. It is a representation of the entire Royal Equestrian Army. So Private Steel, do inspect Cadet Silver's armor before we proceed on patrol."[/colour]

Radiant gave a resolute nod. [colour=#ff0000]"At once, sergeant!"[/colour] she called, stomping her hoof and marching right up to Sterling.

She began to examine him closely. He was visibly nervous, but he seemed well prepared. This was his first day on a guard shift, so she supposed he'd have to be a fool to not do it right. Of course, given their rocky introduction, she wasn't entirely convinced yet that this wasn't some kind of fool. A lot of that remained to be seen. He passed the armor inspection though. All the pieces were there, worn correctly and well maintained. It looked well on him really. Some pony's just looked right in the armor of a guard, and this was probably one of them.

[colour=#ff0000]"The cadet passes armor inspection, sergeant! All is in order!"[/colour] Radiant declared after a few moments, nodding to the Lunar guardsmare.

• 2 weeks later...

Sterling would have breathed a sigh of relief, had he the good sense not to. He continued to stand at attention after being examined, thankfully all the times he had checked his armor prior to patrol had payed off. It was at this point Sterling wondered exactly how this day was going to play out. He mused over some possible outcomes, thinking to himself, "[colour=#8b4513]Well, you're being told what to do by a Lunar Guard and somepony higher ranking than you...surely things can't go wrong...right?[/colour]" Sterling wondered.

He knew he had not got off to the best of starts with Radiant but hoped that it was just a passing occasion, that wouldn't hinder any future success they would have as fellow guards, or even friends. Never the less, he stood at attention, not saying a word, ready for new orders.

Night Watcher stood with her eyes focused as Radiant Steel inspected the cadet's armor. Naturally REA members didn't go inspecting each other before heading out on patrol, but in the case of a new cadet one had to be sure that he or she understood one of the most fundamental tasks. Thankfully the cadet passed this test according to the private.

[colour=#800080]"Very well private Steel. Now with the preparation aspect taken care of, we will now embark on the patrol. Where I will be watching you two in action. Cadet Silver, you know the area of your patrol, correct?" [/colour]

• 1 month later...

((ooc:sorry for the delay and for such a short post. Really had no idea at all what to do with it. :/))

[colour=#800080]"Very well private Steel. Now with the preparation aspect taken care of, we will now embark on the patrol. Where I will be watching you two in action. Cadet Silver, you know the area of your patrol, correct?" [/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"Yes si-..."[/colour] Radiant started but caught herself, recalling what she'd been told before about how to address this mare. [colour=#ff0000]"Sergeant!"[/colour]

[colour=#ff0000]"Ready to embark!"[/colour] she added, stiff and focused, not really sure what to expect from the day.

Sterling nodded to Night Watcher, recollecting his intended patrol path and replying, "[colour=#8b4513]Yes, Sergeant.[/colour]" it was then that Sterling was slightly confused on what happened next. He knew what he had to do, and where he had to go but in terms of whether or not he should it at this very moment was called into question in his mind. He had heard horror stories in the past about military discipline, and even though he usually brushed it off, when he was in the thick of it it was hard to see reason, even when blatantly in front of him.

Upon hearing Radiant say there were ready to embark though, it kicked Sterling's mind back into order, past all the worries and anxiousness to get his military mind going strong. He put his best hoof forward and started patrolling, keeping himself presentable and authoritative at all times. Honestly, he felt pretty good.

Night Watcher cringed slightly as Radiant almost was about to say "sir." Often times she had been mistaken for a stallion, particularity due to the armor masking her feminine form and that she was definitely not a frilly girly pony. Still she wanted make i clear that she wasn't some carbon copy soldier, having her own talents and personality.

Thankfully the guardspony corrected herself, a good sign of self-discipline.

Night then noticed that the new cadet Sterling hesitated when going out for patrol. She knew from experience what it was like second guessing one's actions out of fear of punishment. Nevertheless, he did respond to Radiant's command which did help. Yet Night felt it was best to use this as a teaching moment.

[colour=#800080]"Thank you Private Steel for giving the order. Actually this is a very important lesson for both of you. While it is understood that soldiers should follow orders from higher command, in the end it is your decisions that can make the difference between success or failure of a mission. When I went through training, I learned that you should never hesitate. When the time comes where there may not be a superior around, you will have to be the one to decide and act. This is especially true for the Lunar Guards that serve with me as often times they are on patrol alone. Do you understand what I am saying?"[/colour]