[Gallopocus Seas] The Lost Library - Sinister Sweetness

Bramble Rose

Doctor Whooves grinned a bit, never one to be immune to the joys of flattery. [colour=#8b4513]"Oh, well, you know, in my line of work, you have to pick up a little bit of everything, and you get so widely travelled... As for Prench, well, I'm actually more familiar with ancient Prench than modern Prench, which does atrocious things to my accent, which brought about the most /amusing/ circumstances..."[/colour]

And he was off on one of his stories, chattering on the entire time the three ponies were heading to the bridge, and not really letting Merlot get in a word forward, backwards, or edgewise, his foreleg companionably about the unicorn's shoulders except for when he had to gesture dramatically.

[colour=#8b4513]"And at her question, _I_ said, 'And that's why you should never underestimate a banana!' "[/colour] He gave a soft laugh, and smiled. The three of them were on the highest level of the cruise ship, looking out over its entire length, with the bright sun shining warmly overhead, reaching it at exactly the same time as a shorter, more rotound dark blue stallion with a sea-green mane - Truffle Shuffle. He was scowling up at the hot sun and trying to shade some of the chocolates with an umbrella as he pushed his trolly along, but his face brightened at seeing the rest of them.

[colour=#008080]"Ah!"[/colour] he cried happily, offering some misshapen lumps that [colour=#008080]"Wonderful! You lucky ponies get to try my chocolates! Here, have some chocolate!"[/colour]

[colour=#8b4513]"Chocolate!"[/colour] Doctor Whooves cried happily, immediately grabbing one of the small misshappen ones, one that looked like a hippo ... no, a sheep ...[colour=#8b4513] "I love chocolate!"[/colour] He popped it right into his mouth, then paused, his face contorting, staggering backwards a step as his hoof went out to the side. His mouth worked, dropping several pieces of barely chewed chocolate out of his mouth onto the deck, then scrubbing at his tongue with his forehoof, grimacing. [colour=#8b4513] "Blech... ach! That chocolate's rubbish! Are you trying to poison me?"[/colour]

Truffle Shuffle let out a soft cry, protectively ducking down to scrabble at the chocolate bits, and glaring up at Doctor Whooves with a fierce glare. [colour=#008080] "Philistine!"[/colour] he cried out, scooping the bits into a small garbage bag and putting it away under the trolly.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2gtydsh.jpg

Just his luck, Dr. Merlot picked a fight of witticisms versus somepony who might very well have been an absent-headed professor. The brown stallion failed to comprehend his gentlecolt companion’s true intentions to belittle him, so he went on pattering about Celestia knows what. Everytime Merlot tried to question the other pony’s nonsensical ramblings, he just kept on talking and talking and talking...

Merlot truly despised those who proved inept in the art of socialization. Most ponies enjoyed the ability to understand when they have been outwitted and thus admit defeat, but there were always those aloof few who lacked such qualities. They do not know humiliation, they do not know fear, they often do not know sanity; these ponies Merlot consistently found it hardest to “humble”, and thus deal with when conducting his business and social affairs.

Yet another recent menace reemerged as Merlot and the unknown weirdo made it to the top deck; the menace of horrible chocolate. The khaki unicorn quickly identified the newcomer as that zoned out chocolate maker from the convention yesterday. Contorting at the misshapen travesty of a dessert, Merlot nearly gawked in terror as his foolhardy companion blindly took a hoofful into his moth. To the good fortune of all things sensible, the earth pony suddenly found the brains to spit it all out.

As the disturbing chocolatier sulked off with his cart of dreadful goods, Merlot at last smirked as he found the audacity to ask the other stallion; [colour=#0000ff]“Do you ever find time to actually see what garbage you put in your mouth before consuming it, mister... errrr.....?”[/colour]

BonBonPostBannerwithtext.jpg

Bon Bon's plan was undone by the mere fact that Trixie herself hoped for a spell to cure seasickness. Geez louise, how useless was this pony? She was a mean, rude, and overall vexing pony to deal with. Who spoke in the third person like she did? Lunatics and madponies, that's who, and Bon Bon could stand a useful lunatic but one without any real use? Yeah, not nearly as fun. At least she could have some company on this cruise, because between her seasickness and the strain of oddness she was detecting Bon Bon doubted she would have much fun with the other ponies. Trixie at least she could poke and prod and have her mischievous fun with as time warranted.

And that would start with a little poking of the ursa minor, as it were.

[colour=#0000cd]"Well, and here I thought The Great and Powerful and Flexible and Queasy and Inspiring and Storm-Tossed and Cute and Entertaining Trixie would know a measly seasickness spell. Tsk tsk, imagine my disappointment Oh well, I suppose that's something for Twilight to look into when I get home..." [/colour]And she let that hang as they dealt with the nurse, which sent red flags running up and down her spine, the chills she got making her hair stand on end. This was wrong. It was just like that other stallion- even the misshapen chocolates and odd demeanor were the same. You didn't need to be a detective to see that the two were related in some way, and that familiar itching of her hooves whenever something odd was happening came back. After she left, Bon Bon turned to Trixie.

[colour=#0000cd]"You know, that's really weird. I ran into a stallion earlier with some of these exact same chocolates, and he acted just like the mare there. Do you think something's up?" [/colour]She said, knowing the answer but feeling the tiniest bit bad for her earlier ribbing. She'd allow Trixie to feel awesome this time. Then the ship rolled over a big wave and the seasickness returned.

[colour=#0000cd]"Uggh, can I have some of that root? I saw you and thought maybe you'd have a cure for seasickness."[/colour]

Trixie held the ginger root a moment as she stared after the strangely acting nurse, torn. Should she go after her, see what was happening? Or ... she looked at Bon Bon, standing next to her. Weirdness, or cute mare in stockings.

Well, that wasn't a hard deci- What?! That name! Twilight. No matter where Trixie went or who she ran into, she always heard that name, over and over again! How long would she have to suffer in that purple mare's magical shadow? Trixie was determined to prove herself - not by cheating, like with the Alicorn Amulet, but by discovering and learning the most ancient of magical secrets to improve her certainly limitless potential! She was, after all, The Great and Powerful Trixie!

Her mother had always said - Trixie shook her head swiftly to shake off those painful memories, and turned to the ignorant pink and blue mare. [colour=#6699cc]"I would not expect a mere earth pony to understand the subtleties and nuances of the mystic arts, but luckily for you, the Patient and Tutoring Trixie is here to help you! There is no magical spell that simply cures illnesses or nausea! If there were, we would not need nurses and doctors, chemists and herbalists! All unicorn spells can do is help to urge things along. Go ahead and ask your precious Twilight Sparkle when you return to your little hamlet - she won't have a better answer for you! Or you can chew some ginger root and settle your stomach."[/colour] With that, she popped the lid off and took out a decent sized chunk for herself, popping it into her cheek and starting to lightly gnaw.

Trixie felt much better after that admonishment, instant magical spell to cure seasickness indeed! Magic wasn't everything after all, just.. Almost everything; and as cute as the earth pony was, she was now getting on Trixie's nerves, which made the decision to discreetly follow the nurse all that much more intriguing. "[colour=#6699cc]The Great Pony Detective Trixie, mistress of sleuth and investigation, is going to carefully follow that most peculiar practitioner of the nursing arts to see what she is up to; you can follow if you want provided to stay quiet."[/colour] The azure unicorn magically broke a chunk off the remaining root and shoved it into Bon Bon's mouth before returning to her sleuthing. She shouldn't have even bothered with that, why has the Great and Powerful Trixie become such a softie?!

• 2 weeks later...
Doctor Whooves gave a soft laugh. [colour=#8b4513]"Well, I can hardly see it when it's in my mouth, can I? Unless I had eyes on my tongue! Not many ponies who have that! Well, there was that one mare, and whooo! That was creepy, let me tell you. But no, no, putting it in my mouth is usually how I find out what it is. Unless I just lick it. But that's hardly polite to do with chocolate, is it? Shocking of you to suggest it!"[/colour] He clasped Merlot on the shoulder, and his other forehoof came up to give a shake. [colour=#8b4513]"I must say, Professor Merlot, you're just the sort of gentlecolt I'd heard you to be. Smith! Hop Smith. Cruise inspector!"[/colour]

He gave a small smirk, stepping away from Merlot. He wondered if Merlot had the wits to tell when he was being belittled... but he was very much enjoying the frustrated expression on the other stallion's face as Whooves seemed completely oblivious to the other's own barbs.

Turning away from his subtle teasing, Doctor Whooves stepped forward into the bridge, and into a wave of sound. The sailors here were all boisterous, cheerfully laughing and joking and teasing each other. Truffle Shuffle and the scrawny white unicorn ensign started moving among the sailors, handing out free samples, as Doctor Whooves stepped up to the Captain.

[colour=#8b4513]"Good morning, Captain! A glorious day it is, too!" [/colour] Let's see, how to approach this? Could hardly say 'A couple hours ago, there was a massive magical surge, do you know why?' [colour=#8b4513]"Hop Smith, Cruise Inspector!"[/colour] He flashed the scrawled bit of paper with the shiny wax seal for a moment once again, then tucked it away. [colour=#8b4513]"Anything particularly interesting happen last night or this morning, eh?"[/colour]

The Captain peered curiously down at Doctor Whooves, a suspicious look on his face. [colour=#006400] "I wasn't told of an inspec-"[/colour]

Doctor Whooves patted the Captain's cheek cheerfully. [colour=#8b4513] "That's rather the idea of a surprise inspection, innit it?"[/colour] He circled around the ship's wheel, admiring it. [colour=#8b4513]"Now, that is a nice wheel..." [/colour]he mused softly, eyes alight. [colour=#8b4513]"Can tell a lot about a ship from its wheel. Where's it worn? How well's it taken care of? Oiled every week, I'd say, from the look of it, but worn from long use. I approve!"[/colour]

The Captain smiled a little, stepping forward and nodding. [colour=#006400]"Well, the big things are all made up of smaller things,"[/colour] he admitted.

2gtydsh.jpg

Dr. Merlot just couldn’t understand the point of the stallion’s ramblings. There was seemingly no way this pony lacked the ability to see or smell, so all that nonsense about using the tongue was just that... nonsense. And wait... this demented pony was employed as a cruise inspector? Suddenly, Merlot no longer felt safe on this passenger liner; he’ll be complaining to the proper authorities once the ship headed back to port.

Yet for the time being, Merlot couldn’t really do anything as Inspector Smith trotted into the bridge and did whatever job he was supposed to do. The khaki supposed that the one saving grace of the inspector’s so far was that he did not appear criminally insane... at least so far. Remaining within earshot, the gentlecolt used this moment outside to fetch his pipe and blow bubbles to soothe his nerves. In a little bit, he’ll head back down to the bar with the other elite passengers.....

Trixie needed to stop finishing every sentence like she was making an announcement of a performance. It was sort of annoying to deal with and Bon Bon was tempted to pull her tongue out and see if that would slow down the loud motor-mouth for a spell. Not that it would in all likelihood, Trixie could probably use a ventriloquist doll or some other parlor trick to annoy her no matter what valiant effort she summoned. Oh well, she'd just have to stomach her arrogance- even if she was no longer consumed by evil, that left a whole lot for her own ego to roll over. No matter, Bon Bon took the root and chewed on it vigorously, allowing it to fight the seasickness. Placebo effect probably, but she'd take anything at this juncture. Even if it had been shoved into her mouth by an overbearing and rude unicorn, bit heck, that came with the territory it seemed. Than Celestia she was cute or Bonnie would bail.

[colour=#0000cd]"Yeah, yeah. I'll be quiet as long as you stop screaming like you're on the stage, filly," [/colour]She admonished lowly, retorting swiftly as they followed the otherwise oblivious nurse. Even the way she walked was odd. Stiff like a puppet, legs moving far too high and everything happening at seemingly eighty percent speed. She would walk past a pony and smile, but the smile would stay on for a full twenty seconds afterwards as if something was trying to work the controls of the pony's mind or she was the worst nurse ever who had the reaction time of a pony five times her age. She then came across a pony whom she offered the chocolates too, just as insistent as before. This time the pony accepted and one misshapen, awful looking chocolate was floated up and into his mouth. Then Bon Bon spotted it- this orange-ish glow from the chocolates that seemed to burn bright for a second and then as it was eaten, the eyes of the pony followed suit. His expression dulled and he nodded silently to the Nurse, who nodded slowly and silently back. Thet both continued down the hall.

[colour=#0000cd]"Well..." [/colour]Bon Bon stated, shaking her head as she tried to piece together the looniness she had just seen, making sure she was behind Trixie as she slowly started to back away.

[colour=#0000cd]"Y'know, magical chocolates aren't my forte. I'm willing to barricade my room and survive on the bonbons I have stored until we get close to Equestria and then make a swim for it. Wanna join me? I'm sure having cute company would make the time fly," [/colour]She offered, looking for exits- and having a unicorn with talents would certainly be a boon.

Trixie followed the strange acting nurse, mindful to always stay several steps behind and around the corner, so not to be spotted, as least that is what she hoped. The truth was Trixie wasn't very adept at either sneaking or the cloak and dagger routine, and her erstwhile earth pony companion wasn't fairing any better. The seemingly possessed nurse should have noticed them, but remained oddly oblivious to the duel following her; oblivious, or choosing to purposely ignore them.

Bon Bon wasn't helping, what with her ill-timed retorts! Trixied looked back, astonished at the insinuation, [colour=#6699cc]"I, scream-"[/colour], she suddenly placed her fore hooves over her mouth realizing how loud she indeed was speaking, before continuing in a much more hushed tone, [colour=#6699cc]"screaming? The Great Detective Trixie does not scream, she simply speaks with elegance and presence, that's all! The last Ponyvillian that I was with never was so unfairly critical, yet again she was a unicorn of fine taste and exquisite harmony!"[/colour] Of course the unicorn, Lyra, looked good too, so did Bon Bon, at least she dressed well, but Celestia, that attitude!

Trixie was fortunately astute enough to realize whatever it was that was wrong, it had something to do with those weird chocolates as she watched some other pony try the same cocoa based mesh-mash that was offered to them. Suddenly there was a sense of magic, malevolent and strange, that spiked in her head. [colour=#6699cc] "Did you sense that? There is some kind of magic in those… eh, truffles. Maybe a spell! Or worse…" [/colour] Trixie couldn't quite sense what the magic exactly was, but it was distinctly there.

Bon Bon appeared to use that moment to offer a way out, and Trixie was momentarily inclined to take it; sure the earth mare was a bit inimical, but she was cute and spending time in her luxury suite surely sounded nicer than creeping along corridors.

It was also the chicken way out, and Trixie figured if she can stare down an Ursa Minor, well, sort of, she can get to the bottom of this! Besides, there was magic involved! Magic that could be learned, used; she needed to know!

[colour=#6699cc]"You can go back yo your room if you want, but something is up and being the great detective and expert at magic that I am, I Trixie, seeker of knowledge, am going to find out exact what is gong on!" [/colour] Trixie then sneaked along the wall in an overly dramatic sort of way, as if in a play reenactment of a bit store detective novel, following the strange nurse and her new possessed acolyte as they walked up stairs.

• 2 weeks later...
Doctor Whooves spoke loudly to get over the noisy hubbub of the bridge in a ship on calm waters, the crew happily joking with one another, delighted to get some free chocolate.

[colour=#8b4513]"Oh, yes, small things are terribly important! It's always found in the little details!"[/colour] he cried happily. He peered closer at the wheel, ran his hoof over the polished surface. [colour=#8b4513] "Mmm, that is a fine wheel..."[/colour] He shook his head. His cart's wheel was finer, though! Mostly! He looked longingly at the wheel, concocting situations in which he could confiscate it for his own cart... he shook his head again.

[colour=#8b4513]"Anyway! So, I'm looking around the ship on my way up here, and I heard the oddest vibration in the wall... come on over here!"[/colour] he called, a little too overloud over the quiet murmur of joking voices. He led the captain over to the wall, and planted his ear right up against it. [colour=#8b4513]"Hard to hear, gotta get just the right place!"[/colour] he cried, and slid along the wall, tapping it with his screwdriver.

Luckily, the room had pretty much quieted down, and he was able to find the right place. [colour=#8b4513]"Here, Captain, take a listen to that! Do you know when that started?"[/colour] The captain looked a bit perplexed, staring at Doctor Whooves in confusion. He hesitated, then shrugged and put his ear up against the wall in the same place, and Doctor Whooves tapped the wall again. [colour=#8b4513]"There, here how the resonance shifts?"[/colour]

The captain shrugged. [colour=#006400]"Can't say as I ... really have ever heard the difference?"[/colour] he admitted, then got briefly distracted. [colour=#006400] "Oh, thank you."[/colour]

Doctor Whooves looked confused, and leaned in to the wall again. [colour=#8b4513] "Really? But it's so obvious. It's why you gotta pay attention to the little things,"[/colour] he started in.

[colour=#006400]"Well, I really do need to get back to work,"[/colour] the captain said blandly, in the silent room. Doctor Whooves looked up. [colour=#006400] "But you go ahead and inspect, and I will captain."[/colour] He turned back to the wheel, and lifted his hooves onto it. [colour=#006400] "Try some chocolates before you go."[/colour]

Doctor Whooves looked around at the dead silent room, full of ponies concentrating very hard on their jobs ... even though there was nothing to do with the sea as calm as it was. Such a very quiet room ... and Truffle Shuffle and a young white unicorn sailor he had as an assistant was just leaving.

[colour=#8b4513]"Right!"[/colour] Doctor Whooves said quickly. [colour=#8b4513]"I'll go inspect!"[/colour] he said, backing up. [colour=#8b4513] "Good idea! Because I'm an inspector!"[/colour] He closed the door, and breathed a sigh of relief. He threw a leg around Truffle Shuffle's shoulders. [colour=#8b4513] "Hey, I recognize you. Sorry about the chocolate. Look, be careful, all right? Something weird is up, and you gotta keep you know what in the you know where!"[/colour]

Truffle Shuffle looked at the Doctor in confusion. [colour=#008080]"I do?"[/colour] he asked in bewilderment.

Doctor Whooves grinned. [colour=#8b4513] "That's the ticket!"[/colour] he said, and then grabbed hold of Merlot and started dragging him along. [colour=#8b4513] "Come along, quick now!"[/colour] he said to Merlot. [colour=#8b4513]"Things just got... *interesting*! Allon-zy!"[/colour] he said in an extremely excited tone.

2gtydsh.jpg

Even though blowing bubbles was supposed to make Dr. Merlot feel more relaxed, he sword feeling more ill at ease with every moment. The khaki unicorn’s thoughts would have ordinarily remained preoccupied on the eccentric cruise inspector and how awful of a job he’s doing… if it wasn’t for other things he started noticing. Namely, the chilly silence descending on the once-noisy bridge. Taking a slight peek, Merlot to his discomfort noticed the crew adopting the same lifeless demeanor as that of that blasted fool of a chocolate maker.

Realizing that maybe he would be better off leaving the inspector to handle the situation, Merlot made an attempt to quietly back towards his- nope, too slow! Concluding another exchange with the oafish buffoon hoofing out his atrocious chocolate, the Inspector set his sights on the gentlecolt and proceeded to drag him off someplace. Hearing that things had somehow gotten more “interesting”, Merlot demanded explanations at once! The uptight archaeologist wouldn't have let the Inspector get away with handling him like a ruffian otherwise. [colour=#0000ff]“Sacrebleu, what is the meaning of all this?”[/colour] growled the stallion, a twinge of fear seeping into his voice; [colour=#0000ff]“I’m no idiot Inspector; I saw what happened to those sailors when you waltzed in there. An entire room going quiet for no discernible reason is not normal.”[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]~Neither is the Inspector for that matter.....~[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

Trixie had the sort of confidence that only the truly mad, arrogant, and idiotic could claim but it helped her sleep at night, so who was Bon Bon to judge? Besides, who didn't spend at least some time in front of the mirror admiring themselves in the mirror, having debates against invisible foes and winning them easily? Everypony did it, sure, but then again nopony seemingly made a play of living out those self-aggrandizing late-night ramblings as consistently or effectively as the most magical mare in all of Equestria who didn't sprout a pair of wings very recently. Her decision to play detective was charming, but a bit silly.

[colour=#0000cd]"Trixie, powerful magic or not, you're not the sneakiest pony around. You're gonna get caught,"[/colour] Bon Bon cooed gently, trying not to slap Trixie across the face like she honestly wanted to do.

[colour=#0000cd]"Besides, what about that stallion who came up with you? He seemed quick-witted enough. We'll find him, he'll tell us to not do anything stupid, and we'll go back down to my room to eat away our worries until morning," She paused and took a breath, the seasickness in choppy seas starting to rear it's ugly head, "when we get past the fierce chop we've had so far and really get out to the sea,"[/colour] Bon Bon offered in a whisper, not wanting the nurse to overhear. Her and her companion continued down the corridor before stepping down some stairs, slowly and deliberately and most importantly very creepy.

[colour=#0000cd]"Besides, I've seen this moving picture before. I'm not going to hold you like I hold Lyra during the scary parts, filly."[/colour]

Trixie moved with an exaggerated "tip-toe" fashion as she followed the nurse down the various corridors of the ship. The azure unicorn wasn't sure what was really going on, but something was up! Something had to be! That nurse was acting very peculiar, as was everypony she gave a chocolate too. That alone would be enough to set off Trixie's alarms, but the fact she was here with Whooves left no doubt in Trixie's mind she was onto something. That weird earth stallion attracted trouble like moths to a flame, it was almost.. magical, in a twisted sort of way; never had she seen anything like it. Monsters and the Doctor, it seemed like you could not have one without the other.

What wasn't helping the situation any was Trixie's erstwhile companion, Bon Bon, offering her "commentary" on Trixie's sleuthing skills. [colour=#6699cc]"Hmph! The Great and Cunning Trixie knows how to remain in the shadows when she wants to, unless your cacophonous voices gives us away!" [/colour] Trixie turned back around, only to notice the nurse turned the corner out of view, [colour=#6699cc]"ugggggh, we're going to lose her! C'mon, this way, and beeeeeequiiiiiit!" [/colour]

Trixie turned the corner as quietly as she could, the nurse was once again just in view, about to turn down yet another hallway; how many did this crazy boat have anyway? This was becoming frustrating! Bon-Bon's insistence on continue to talk, peppering Trixie with "alternative suggestions" only added to that frustration, especially when she suggested Whooves would want them to hide in safety! Trixie turned around quickly to face the earth pony, a wicked smile on her face, [colour=#6699cc]"ha! Shows what you know my naive, mundane accomplice! Whooves lives for danger! For adventure! For mystery solving! Why else would he assist the Adventuresome Trixie in her ques-"[/colour]. Trixie just shook her head before giving away too much, [colour=#6699cc]"ugh, never mind! C'mon already!"[/colour]

Trixie turned about around and galloped down the hall in a desperate attempt to relocate the now elusive bizarre chocolate serving nurse unicorn, unsure of what side corridor to take in what felt like an endless labyrinth. Why did Bon-Bon have to talk so much!? Forcing Trixie to answer, and even tricking her into momentarily praising that nutter Whooves! Thank Celestia he wasn't around to hear that, the earth pony's huge ego would never allow Trixie to live it down!

As Trixie looked around desperately for any clues of the medic's whereabouts, she became more frustrated as Bon-Bon continued her exhortation, [colour=#6699cc]"like a movie?!? That's just sil-"[/colour] Wait! Did she say Lyra? She couldn't mean… Not that same voluptuous mint green unicorn Trixie met at the shoreline the other week? Nah, it couldn't be.. But didn't Bon Bon say she was also from Ponyville?

[colour=#6699cc]"Your friend… She isn't a unicorn is she? Minty green coloured? You two are just friends right?" [/colour]Trixie shook her head, there wasn't time for this! She galloped forward without waiting for an answer, turning the next corner only to find a dead end! The stymied unicorn had no idea were to go from here, [colour=#6699cc]"oh great! Now look what you did! We lost her! Now what is Trixie supposed to do??!"[/colour]

A nice drink and being slavishly attended by beautiful waitresses sounded really good right about now.

Doctor Whooves paused a moment, grabbed hold of the very, very large sailor that had led them to the bridge, and hauled him away, just as he was reaching for some chocolates. The very large stallion made 'grabby motions' at the chocolate as he was dragged inexorably backwards, then sighed, rolled his eyes, and followed after.

[colour=#8b4513]"That's right, it's not normal!"[/colour] Doctor Whooves was saying the whole time, his voice racing as if to try desperately to keep up with his flitting thoughts. [colour=#8b4513]"Well spotted, good eye, Merlot! Isn't it exciting? Now to just figure out why... could be a number of different vectors, Saddlenarian Bottle Bugs? Hasn't been an outbreak of those in thirty years, but it's possible ... spreads by pelt-to-pelt or hoof-to-hoof contact. Bristlejuice Mind Spores? But no, where would the central mushroom be? And we'd be affected already. Spectral possession? But we'd have seen something, wouldn't we? And that'd be so boring, I've already done one of those in the past year. Oh, now it might be Blinders Eyeworms - passes just by looking someone in the eye! That would be interesting, it's been a hundred and fifty years since we've had any of those around. I'd go with the Earworms, but no one was singing anything, so it couldn't be that. Curse? Could be a magic curse, but what's the vector?"[/colour]

He just kept dragging them away, and his eyes kept darting around, noting all the not-smiling ponies on deck in this bright and sunny day, just going about their business with a dull, empty look in their eyes. Except they were all stopping in their tracks, and turning to watch them pass. Doctor Whooves gulped at the stares of so many eyes. [colour=#8b4513] "Right, we're too exposed up here, we've gotta get belowdecks. We'll meet up with my assistant, she's got some useful talents, and I'd rather not have her infected by whatever it is ... come along, come along."[/colour] He ducked through the nearest door and was in a narrow hallway. [colour=#8b4513]"Oh, goodness. This is a pleasant morning, isn't it? Gorgeous weather, new adventure ... really gets the blood pumping, doesn't it? Now, think, Merlot! Have you spotted anyone ... *odd* ... around here, the last few days? Anyone acting in a peculiar way? Someone who just ... doesn't seem normal? Perhaps who keeps poking their nose in where it doesn't belong?"[/colour]

2gtydsh.jpg

How was any of this supposed to be exciting? Not only was something creepy happening to the bridge, but Dr. Merlot still found himself dragged along by an excitable Inspector Hop Smith. For a pony who was only supposed to have a simple job, that stallion could sure prattle on about all manners of terrible things. How in the world could a mere cruise inspector like Smith have the qualifications to deal with spectral possession anyway? What sort of inspector was he?

As if the day couldn’t get any worse, Merlot gulped as he saw many of the passengers affected with the same zoned-out trance as the crew. How horrifying to think that all so suddenly, he was more or less the only sane pony on this blasted ship! And of course Hop Smith was also showing himself to be one of those especially crazed adventure-seeker types, although Merlot could somewhat forgive the earth pony’s attitude as a coping mechanism to deal with his humdrum plebeian-level job.

Once the inspector led the khaki unicorn and the sailor below-deck, he began interrogating the archaeologist on any weird occurrences.[colour=#0000ff] “Well Inspector Smith,”[/colour] Merlot hastily tried to think back on the events of the last 24-48 hours; [colour=#0000ff]“There was this dunce of a mare last night who got in my way and made me fall into the pool on deck. Got my clothes wet and everything; truly an abysmal tragedy. And then that fool you saw earlier with those horrendous chocolates; he’s been out of it this entire voyage. I don’t know how anypony with eyesight and taste buds could even eat the utter garbage he shovels into ponies’ mouths.....”[/colour]

Watching Trixie blather and blunder about into stupidity as she showed the sleuthing skills of a cartoon character. If the nurse or whatever compatriots she had that were similarly involved could summon up anything beyond basic hearing, then Trixie's anything but deft hoofsteps, cracking against walls to hide, and generally making a small racket would have attracted attention. That meant that their enemies- targets- she didn't know what to call them, maybe just nutjobs would suffice for the time being. Anyway, that meant their favorite nutjobs were off the rocker and unlikely to be tough when the time came. And stuck on a cruise ship with no escape with Bon Bon having to babysit a magician with delusions of mediocrity and a friend who by all descriptors was equally batty, Bon Bon was sure that it would come to high adventure at some point. Darnit, why was everything always about craziness? Her town was the center of all things interesting and a simple chocolate convention on a cruise was going to be weird too.

And what about Lyra? That description was spot-on. Bon Bon's eyes cocked as she studied Trixie with a naturally jealous eye.

[colour=#0000cd]"Yeah, that's Lyra. We've been a couple for a little over a year now. How do you know her?"[/colour] Bon Bon asked, perhaps slightly more aggressively than she had intended. Lyra had many, many friends and Bon Bon was happy for her, but you couldn't trust a magician farther than you could throw them and Trixie much less than that. When had they met? What was the nature of their friendship? Bon Bon hadn't had to kick anypony's flank over Lyra since the nascent stages of their relationship, and truth be told few things had made her feel better than in a somewhat liberated state getting into a rollicking engagement over her fillyfriend's imagined honor over even more so imagined slights. The salt bar hadn't even made her pay for the damage since the stallion refused to press charges- what big ol' member of the REA wanted to admit that he had been whooped soundly by a country town mare? Well, maybe she was remembering it all wrong since it was she and Lyra who had been kicked out, but fantasy was superior to reality especially when the reality involved a few days of bedrest.

In better tidings though they lost the nurse and Trixie put the blame on Bon Bon, even if it was mostly because Trixie had the attention to detail of a foal painting for the first time. Pinning the blame on another pony seemed to be her modus operandi, just like the foal previously mentioned. But now wasn't the time for an argument on the matter- they were secluded from most other ponies, which in a horror story was the worst possible thing. Better to get back in front of some public eyes, and what better way to do that, get Trixie to lower her guard, and spill the beans about Lyra than heading down for a few drinks?

[colour=#0000cd]"I'm sorry, but I'll make it up to you. The main bar and restaurant, my treat."[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

Trixie flared with annoyance - they had lost the nurse and, with her, whatever clues they had to the mysterious cocoa flavoured malaise that appeared to be inflicting crew and passenger alike. Still, there was little she could do now, and it wasn't as if the nurse wouldn't eventually turn up. There was only so many places on a cruise ship that anypony could hide.

And distracting her besides was the reference to Lyra, the minty green unicorn that Trixie and Whooves met on the beach at Bridlebank. The same minty unicorn who had told Trixie quite plainly that she was single. [colour=#6699cc] "Why, the lovely and generous Trixie met the adorable Lyra on the beach only a couple days back! She was on holiday, and, if Trixie recalls, all alone."[/colour] Trixie gave a devious smirk, [colour=#6699cc]"we had such … Exquisite adventures together on the beach that day! Such a romantic place, the beach, don't you think?" [/colour] There were no need to mention the Clockwork ponies, or the battle for their lives - such was trivial.

Trixie turned around and began to head back the way she came. [colour=#6699cc]"Now, I believe you said you would treat Trixie to some of the fine food and drink of which she is, of course, most accustomed. Shall we?"[/colour]

Doctor Whooves glanced over his shoulder at the deck, and down each side-corridor, before letting out a soft chuckle. [colour=#8b4513]"Ah-hahahaaaaa, no. That's not quite what I mean... ah well. My magic detector went wonky when I came near this ship, completely threw us off course. Something like that. But no matter, no matter. The important thing is that you're trying."[/colour]

He continued on down the corridor, taking turns that seemed just about random, his head tilted to the side. [colour=#8b4513]"So, Doctor ... are you the same Doctor Merlot that was associated with that dig where the workers accidentally burrowed into a gorgon's lair? Terrible tragedy, that. Rockefilly getting anywhere with his research to changing them back from stone? Lucky thing you weren't on site at the time. Woo! That was quite an interesting one. Took me a couple months to find my way back to the surface again, after the cave-in!"[/colour]

Then he turned a corner and ran headlong into Trixie, thudding into her and stumbling back. [colour=#8b4513]"AH!" [/colour]he said, cheerfully, [colour=#8b4513]"Trixie! Wonderful!"[/colour] He rushed towards her again, getting his face within an inch of hers, staring deep, deep into her eyes. [colour=#8b4513]"Are you all right?" [/colour]he asked, quietly, then perked up. [colour=#8b4513]"You are! You're still you!"[/colour] He hugged her merrily. [colour=#8b4513]"Fantastic!"[/colour]

2gtydsh.jpg

[colour=#0000ff]Magic detector?”[/colour] Dr. Merlot incredulously exclaimed; [colour=#0000ff]“How in the world do-?”[/colour] Before the gentlecolt could ask his question, Inspector Smith infuriated him even more by referring to... that incident. Not so long ago, Mr. Rockefilly commissioned Merlot to excavate a suspected temple and secure for him some of its relics. The business that followed was... regrettable to say the least, and Merlot spared no effort in keeping such an embarrassing story out of the newspapers. The only journalistic outlet to dig deeper into that event had been The Daily Turnip, but nopony took that laughing-stock tabloid seriously anyway.

Nonetheless, the good doctor felt the need to immediately silence his companion at once. [colour=#0000ff]“For your information Inspector,”[/colour] Merlot growled; [colour=#0000ff]“Those workers are now unpetrified; no expense was spared in curing them. You know, for a simple cruise inspector, you have a rather troublesome knowledge of my private affairs-”[/colour] The khaki unicorn found himself interrupted again when the other brown stallion collided with a blue unicorn mare... a mare that Inspector Smith seemed quite intimate with.

Merlot by now had enough of this miserable charade. First Hop Smith implied that he had trespassed on one of his subterranean dig sites, and now he was hugging some girl named Trixie, who just so happened to be accompanied by the very same clumsy mare from last night! Either that stallion was a lousy inspector... or a poor liar. Glaring at the other ponies, Merlot adjusted his tie while stating in a forceful accusatory tone; [colour=#0000ff]“You’re not actually a cruise inspector at all, are you Smith.....”[/colour]

Bon Bon wasn't a violent mare by trade, just by design when it came to wanting to make Trixie's whole face fit into the size of a pon. Look at that cocky grin and her smirk and her whole attitude made Bon Bon want to crush her into a cube. She probably could, too. Look at how weak she looked! Blubbery and malnourished and generally unimpressive in most ways a mare could be. No wonder she was so crushingly alone and in need of speaking in the third person like she was trying to convince herself of what she was saying. The only thing that prevented her from beating Trixie in every way possible was the fact that by the end of the day, she was a pathetic, lonely, sad little magician who couldn't even farm rocks well enough to earn a decent living. For all of her flaws, Bon Bon was successful. And such a thought kept Bon Bon's face relatively amused throughout Trixie's attempts at rocking Bon Bon. Bon Bon smiled and was way too cheerful.

[colour=#0000cd]"Well, I'm happy you like her! I helped pay for that vacation. She probably didn't trust you enough to tell you the truth- you know, after the last time you were in Ponyville,"[/colour] She added with a smirk,[colour=#0000cd] "so come with me and let big Bonnie treat Trixie to some good food and drink. Why, looking at you, I doubt you've had good food in...years!"[/colour] She added expectantly, trotting past the magician vindictively with her head held high. Just then, two stallions appeared, one of them trotting into Trixie and getting way too familiar. Under normal circumstances Bon Bon might have thought they were special someponies, but considering Trixie was a moving bag of dung and nopony could ever love her, that thought perished in it's infancy. celestia above, she hated Trixie.

The weird stallion seemed to see the same things they saw- referencing the fact that Trixie was who he thought she was. Did he think she was a pathetic piece of dung? Because Bon Bon did. Okay, so maybe Trixie had gotten to Bon Bon a lot more than she had let on. Attention focus on the rude stallion from earlier.

[colour=#0000cd]"So, you two saw the weird magic happening as well?"[/colour] She asked off-hoofedly to Merlot, bracing against the wall as the ship swayed.

Trixie stopped in her tracks, the mention of Ponyville visibly shaking her for a moment, but Trixie was not going to let this clod get the best of her in a war of words! If Bon Bon wanted to go there, then Trixie was going to be all too happy to oblige! [colour=#6699cc]"Well, if you must know, she certainly felt she could confide enough in the Stunning and Elegant Trixie to give Trixie a warm and passionate-"[/colour]

Before the unicorn mare could finish her sentence, that bumbling lunatic Whooves, whom many would call Trixie's companion, managed to come literally crashing in to the point Trixie barely managed to keep enough of a footing to not land on her flank.

Before she could justifiably protest the brown earth pony's ineptitude, Whooves was muzzle to muzzle with her, looking straight at her with a look of sincere concern before wrapping his forelegs around her affectionately. Trixie blushed and started to smile before catching herself and pushing him back, [colour=#6699cc]"of course Trixie is Trixie, you incompetent bumbling lunatic! Who else would Trixie be?! Why you are the most ridiculous-"[/colour]

Trixie became wide eyed and embarrassed as she noticed she and Whooves had an audience, [colour=#6699cc]"er, I mean cruise inspector Whooves, please. I mean, Smith. Be. More. Careful. Uhh.. You. Almost. Ran. Into. Me."[/colour] That sounded authentic didn't it?

Whooves blinked in momentary confusion at Merlot and Trixie. [colour=#8b4513]"Cruise Inspector, what? Trixie, whatever's gotten into you? Have you both-"[/colour] then he paused, stopping himself. [colour=#8b4513] "Ohhhhh, riiiiight. The ruse! To keep us getting thrown off the ship! Yeah, no. Not a Cruise Inspector at all. Well! Not right now. Well! Not and being on the job. I'm pretty sure my credentials are *technically* still valid. But that's neither here nor there! Much more of an *Emergency* Inspector. Which we now have."[/colour]

He threw his leg over the shoulders of the very, very large crewstallion that was standing right there. [colour=#8b4513]"You don't mind so much, do you?"[/colour] The stallion inhaled in preparation for saying something, looking very sternly at Doctor Whooves, but the smaller brown stallion went smoothly on, [colour=#8b4513]"Didn't think so!"[/colour]

He grinned and waved to Bon-Bon. [colour=#8b4513]"Nice to see you're OK, too, Bon Bon! Wouldn't want my favorite source of chocolates to go wacky-go-nuts on me!"[/colour] He waved his hooves next to his head and made his eyes start swirling like spirals for a moment, then went back to normal with his hooves on the deck. [colour=#8b4513] "But - hrm. Public corridor, not so great."[/colour] He grabbed them all, selected a random doorway, and yanked everyone inside. It was a stateroom, and a blank-stared mare was looking up at them in what would normally have been surprise, but right now was more like apathy.

Whooves grabbed her, shoved her into the hall, and said, [colour=#8b4513]"Captain wanted to see you! Go along, now, good job!"[/colour] and closed the door again, locking it this time.

[colour=#8b4513]"Right. Oh, introductions. Merlot! My name is Doctor Whooves, and it's my job to deal with situations like..."[/colour] He gestured vaguely around towards the rest of the ship. [colour=#8b4513]"This. Now, pony minds are being tampered with at this very moment! Our priorities are clear, and here's the plan: I'll figure out the vector of mind-alteration. You lot, don't get tampered with. I'll do something clever, and we'll all save the day! Now, then, Trixie, Bon-Bon, what did you see belowdecks? Every little detail, mind, it could be very important!"[/colour]

2gtydsh.jpg

So that was that... Dr. Merlot should have figured something was wrong with the fake cruise inspector upon their first encounter. At least the khaki unicorn’s instincts haven’t steered him wrong yet, but there was no time to celebrate that. Because these weren’t quite ordinary circumstances however, Merlot lacked the drive to protest the brown earth pony’s deception as he, Trixie, and Bon-Bon were herded into a stateroom.

Once the room’s sole occupant was ushered out, Merlot finally learned the full truth about the mystery pony. Evidently his name was Dr. Whooves, and apparently his occupation was seeking out disturbances like what was happening on the cruise liner right now. Of course, Merlot in no way would give the Doctor any benefit of the doubt; if that guy actually was a very special... ‘trouble-shooter’, then why hadn’t the archaeologist ever heard of a pony supposedly up to Whooves’s caliber? It all smelled fishy to the high society gentlecolt, who feared he really was dealing instead with yet another thrill-seeking adventurer type; as if that feathered rat Pathfinder wasn’t enough!

Before any of the other mares could voice their findings, Merlot took the opportunity right now to badger Dr. Whooves. [colour=#0000ff]“Now wait a moment,”[/colour] the glaring unicorn pointed an accusatory hoof at the Doctor; [colour=#0000ff]“First off, I’d like to know what type of doctor you are and who employs you. I just find it rather suspicious that somepony like you, and whoever Trixie is supposed to be, just happen to stow away on a ship with mind-altered passengers and crew. It certainly raises questions... doesn’t it?”[/colour]

Bon Bon watched the unusual stallion as he practically inhaled the scenery, chewing it as he was. Certainly a fun character to listen to and the fact that he and Trixie shared a history was soothing, mostly because the image of Trixie having to deal with him at all times was delicious. Hopefully they are forced to bunk together in the middle of the woods while it rained, just to make her infinitely more miserable. The Great and Powerful Trixie was probably a Great and Powerful Whiner when she was uncomfortable. Celestia above Bon Bon hoped so, because the only thing that was preventing her from reaching over and slapping Trixie until she felt as air-headed as a pegasus was the comforting thought that in a few days Bon Bon would be at home snuggling with the love of her life while Trixie wasted away in the woods. Maybe that was a bit mean. In fact it was. But until her mood grew a little it was all that she could think about.

She grinned and waved back at him, not really sure how to respond. She knew him somehow perhaps? Well, she didn't remember him but she played along anyway. "Always good for a few more, you bet," She stated with a bit of energy,[colour=#0000cd] "but it does look like today chocolates are not really the best thing to be making. Some of them seem to be doing the whole-"[/colour] she waved her hooves next to her head and made her eyes start swirling like spirals for a moment and then stopped, [colour=#0000cd]"thing." [/colour]

And with that they were shuffled into the room slightly against their will by the strange and erstwhile stallion. Sweet celestia, the whole situation was weird and so was this stallion but he seemed comfortable enough with it and if her experiences told her anything, getting cozy with those comfortable in chaos was a good idea.

[colour=#0000cd]"Well, whatever is happening, it involves those chocolates. We were almost force fed some by the nurse and she seemed awfully sore about us not taking it in, though it seemed less like anger and more like..."[/colour] she rolled a hoof in the air as she sought the right word, snapping it towards hoof when she got it, [colour=#0000cd]"persistence. Annoyed persistence, like she couldn't understand why we weren't wanting it. And before I ran into The Excessively Vexing Trixie, a stallion tried to give me some as well. The chocolates looked awful except for the truffles, but the rest looked awful. It seemed weird to me that he'd try and sell them when they looked so cruddy, but I guess if he was being forced to make them by something that it wouldn't matter. They did smell good though, so if he had been a little colt I would have given him an A for effort and sold them for a quarter-bit," She finished, doing the math, "...make it a half-bit,"[/colour] she turned to Merlot, laughing heartily, [colour=#0000cd]"as for Trixie, she's a hack magician. Has a penchant for the dramatic, but at least she's cute so she has a fallback when her sparkling personality fails."[/colour]

Maybe a little vicious.

• 2 weeks later...

Trixie face hoofed as the Doctor fragrantly blew their cover story right out of the water! Does this stallion ever think ahead before he opens his mouth? She wagered in her mind the entire cruise inspector idea itself was made up on the fly the very second he said it, and now he just as mindlessly gave up that very same ruse! There goes all the drinks, fresh fruits, and beautiful dancers!

He's infuriatingly impossible!

Before Trixie could justly protest, or somehow salvage their story, she found herself shoved right into the ship's stateroom along with Bon Bon, and some other unicorn who she had no idea about, was he part of the crew!? The azure unicorn wanted to say something, to chew Whooves out for his gaffs and idiocy, but she couldn't get a word in edge wise as Whooves kept on gabbing. A situation made worse when this Merlot character dismissed her as some unknown! The nerve!

The azure unicorn's frustration only grew though when Bon Bon spoke, not only was this admittedly cute earth pony the one telling the tale of her and Trixie's adventure against the confectionery danger, she then called Trixie a… A.. Hack!!! That was the last straw!

[colour=#6699cc]"Hmph! Now you listen you two bit candy maker from a one horse town, the Great and Magnificent Trixie is world renowned for her expertise in the field of thaumaturgy, why Trix-"[/colour] Before she could finish her self-exonerating rant, the door busted wide open behind the quartet, revealing a group of blank starring ponies lead by that same mare they tossed out of the room a moment ago. As obvious as it was that there was something far more wrong in regards to pony crew reaching for them than trespassing would suggest, Trixie felt something even more emanating from emotionless forms. She shivered from the malicious chill of diabolical magic that now permeated the room, and wondered if that Merlot unicorn was attuned enough to sense the same fiendish aura.

There was no time to ask the unicorn stallion, as the possessed mob was about upon them, they had to get away now! But how?! Then Trixie spotted it, the escape route. There was no time, or way really, to grab all three other ponies, besides Whooves always had his own way to get out of the most impossible of situations on his own. So Trixie did the next best thing, at least in her mind; she grabbed Bon Bon and leaped right out the large port window!

As insane as the stunt appeared to be as the two mares plummeted towards the ocean below, Trixie wasn't that unprepared. Using her magic, her hat lifted, revealing a rope that uncoiled upward in an aura of purple light to wrap around the railing above and secure itself just in time for Trixie to not only catch the bottom of the rope in her teeth, but to catch Bon Bon in her hooves.

She was indeed great! A great escape artist, and magician! Who's the hack now?!

• 3 weeks later...
Doctor Whooves scoffed and shook his head. "Not likely, Bon Bon, but first ..." He turned to Doctor Merlot. "No coincidence at all! Really must learn to listen, Doctor Merlot, I just told you we didn't stow away, we boarded when-"

He jumped as the door crashed open. Ah, yes, of course ... putting the mind-controlled pony out to the other mind-controlled ponies might have a bit of a negative side effect there ... Luckily, it seemed Trixie had a plan! He had no idea what it was, but it involved flinging one's self out a window with no immediately apparant landing point except the cold and unforgiving sea, so he was all for it! He grabbed hold of Merlot, grinning like a madman. "Come along, Doctor! Allon-zy!" And with that, he leaped out the porthole after Trixie.

Oh, good, a rope! He swung Doctor Merlot to the uncoiling rope, letting the archeologist grab hold just under him, as he grabbed hold of the rope himself with his teeth, bracing himself against the side of the ship with his hooves. He glanced down to make sure everyone was there... yup! Himself, Merlot, Trixie, and then finally BonBon dangling far below from Trixie's hooves. And then that quite large ships crewstallion leaped out after them, grabbing hold just above Doctor Whooves! Excellent plan!

His eyes darted up to the rail ... riiiiight, the rail, where all those mind-controlled ponies were milling about on deck. Hrm. He glanced left, then right, and his eyes sparkled all the more. "ollow me!" he said around his teeth, then pushed left off the wall.. then ran to the right, past the open porthole where the other threatening passengers were filing in, then back to the left again. Right, left, right, left, each time a little further... "on-on! Gra hol th' orthole!"

Archived