[Sweet Apple Acres]...The More Zap Apples Stay the Same. [PM for invite/Apple family welcome]

Hippo

banner_applejack_zpscd51b6b0.png

Applejack returned to the main yards near the barn where everyone seemed very productively doing nothing. Braeburn approached her and questioned the task of watering. She looked back at her empty water wagon and proudly stated, "Actually, it looks like we've been able to water it all in the past two days. What's everyone else doin'?"

As she started surveying the ponies, she realized that everything seemed to be in order minus a few arbitrary character clashes happening on awkward levels. Poor Big Mac. "Well boy howdy! It looks like all of our teamwork is paying off!" She shouted across the yard hoping everyone would be able to reflect on the success. It was still around midday and most of the daily tasks of rushing around to prepare for harvest had been completed, with the exception of a few touchups here and there. And since everypony was ahead of the harvest, Applejack figured it well enough to wrap everything up in terms of doin' and allow the ponies who are helping the orchard family with their chore with a lovely farm picnic.

Applejack walked inside and saw the little ponies tasked with painting the pink polka dots on the walls. To be honest, Applejack would be willing to try the harvest without the polka dots to see if it made a difference, but not this year. This year was too big. "Hurry up and finish paintin' youngins. Granny, Everyone is ahead of schedule, so I think we should have a picnic out in the yard to celebrate everypony's hard work. I'll get the supplies, you work up some quick treats and pies."

Applejack grabbed a basket full of picnic materials and once she returned outdoors, made her way towards the wooden table that was long enough for a large family, or about one forth the size of the apple family. She took out the red and white checkered table cloth and spread it over the wooden table. "Soups on guys! We're way ahead of schedule, so lets relax and enjoy a treat or two."

Wrap up all the tasks that are going on within the next cycle or two.

On March 31, the day will turn again to the 5th day (Harvest day).

Reminder: this thread does not end after the harvest. There is still the jam-making and the selling of the jam and then the thread will end.

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bramble Rose was happy to keep going on about his work, but he threw himself into watering the trees along with everyone else, which stole a bit of his breath away. He reassured Presteza that there was no need to worry. He was here to chip in just like everypony else. He also assured Cheerilee that he wasn't a professor yet, though he certainly hoped to be one someday once his research paid off, and tried to explain the idea of researching just because he didn't know what he would find, but there wasn't a lot of literature on zap apples. And he would also be delighted to join her for a drink after the day's work was done.

He was pleased to see that as the day went on, the extra help from all the ponies combined to make sure the orchard was properly watered with all the ABC'd water, and he was more than ready for a break as lunch rolled around. He wiped at his forehead, panting, and leaned against one of the zap apple trees, grinning proudly at all the work he'd accomplished. It reminded him a lot of his time every summer with his father's side of the family, and how much work they put into the agave harvest - days and days of hard work before they even touched the plants, just to get ready.

He settled in at the table with a big grin and a hearty appetite. "I'll have one of everything, Applejack! Sure works up a hunger, this sort of work!" he said proudly. "Come on, everypony! Time for a legendary apple family feast!" He looked over to Presteza and Cheerilee. "You two have heard why I'm here ... why are you two non-apple mares helping out with an apple family harvest?"

Braeburn

Braeburn stomped along after Applejack, trying to minimize how much he was huffing and puffing. "So y'all won, but only cause y'all cheated with that water cannon. Ah didn't even know y'all were allowed t'deliver th' water th' foals jumped over wi' a water cannon!" He grumped a bit, but it was good-naturedly. Not that he'd given up - he'd given his all hauling water as fast as he could, despite the odds being stacked against him.

He followed her back to help set up the picnic tables, commenting, "Ah reckon it's a sure bet that Apple Pie made some of her amazin' apple pies! Ah can't wait t'dig in, ah'm hungrier'n th' princess at a cake competition!" He helped pull the tableclothes snug and straight. "But ah gotta ask y'all... what's up wi' that mare followin' Big Mac around? Ah reckon everyone kin see she's twitterpated o'er him ... 'cept maybe Big Mac. He ne'er seems t'notice that... is he jes' dense? Or is he not interested? Should we team him up wi' that lil' purple stallion t'morrah?"

Cheerilee

Cheerilee was in a pretty good mood. It was a great day, and the only mildly annoying thing was how often Presteza kept apologizing, no matter how much Cheerilee tried to assure her that it was all right. These things happened! What kept her so giddy, though, was how much information Bramble seemed willing to share all about what he was learning about Zap Apples! She was going to be able to teach a class on zap apples, now! He'd promised to send her a copy of his paper, once he was ready to publish.

Of course, it was a little hard to hold a conversation after a while, what with her breath coming short with all the work. She liked to think she was doing a decent job of keeping up ... until she looked over at Apple Bumpkin, who didn't even seem to be breathing hard, the Apple family veteran having been doing this sort of thing since she was a foal. Still, for someone unused to the work, she wasn't doing BAD, plus Bumpkin kept showing her support through the occasional hug and nuzzle, which made the whole experience that much more pleasant.

She was eager to eat, but before she could do that, she had to make sure the foals were all right. She walked over to the kitchen, taking the time to catch her breath, and then stepped in to see the pink-spotted walls and the pink-spotted foals. "Hello, my little ponies! How's everything going in here? You look like you're doing a wonderful job!"

Apple Susie slightly jumped in surprise after Apple Jack barged in to tell the fillies to finish up on the polka dots. She turned back around and hopped over towards her can of paint and sat down before placing her hooves in the paint and putting bunches of polka dots on the wall but made sure not to clash her dots with anypony sitting/standing next to her or make any smudges that could possible destroy the jam, it was her first grand family activity and she didn't want to end it too early by having everypony chase her off the farm for messing up the whole apple harvest. She turned her head at a new mares' voice and spotted a purple mare standing in the doorway, she seemed to have been the random voice, " wella hi miss... We're doin fine, but What's your name exactly?". She looked back at her cousins to see if any of them knew her name.

TczjcS9.png

Granny Smith continued to supervise the work in the kitchen. Hearing Apple Susie's question, so smiles at the filly.

"Well, if'n you kin paint better with yur hooves, I say go fer it, but keep in mind, we're gonna be eatin' soon, so ya better be able ta wash all that thar paint off'm before ya sit down ta eat."

Haywire felt bad about her accidential paint slip up until AppleBloom's comment perked her up.

"Thanks AppleBloom! I got luck all over me, but most of the time, it's bad luck rather than good. Anyhow, how am I doin' with the paintin'? I think I got the hang of it."

The painting job was nearly finished when Granny Smith heard AppleJack remind her about starting to prepare the next meal.

"Jumpin' Gee-hoss-o-fat! I plumb furgot about fixin' more food! We gotta lot of troops out thar ta feed! Would all you fillies like ta help me with the vittles? We got taters ta peel, soup ta stir and salad fixin's ta git prepared! I gotta bake some fresh hayloaf and pies fer dessert too!"

"I'll help ya, Granny!" Haywire shouted, raising her hoof in the air, "I kin peel taters real good, had a lotta practice. When I git caught prankin' mah older sister, she usually makes me peel taters fer supper. She calls it "KP Duty" and I git that duty quite a bit!"

Meanwhile, back in the barn, Uncle Apple Strudel found an easy job for the injured Flam to perform.

"Alright, Herr Flam, set up another set of jars for mein next lecture, please," the bearded stallion wearing the Germaney spiked Army helmet neighed.

"Yes sir," the lanky unicorn stallion said as he used his horn magic to levitate 'lectured' jars off the table and into boxes and then moving dozens of 'new' jars unto the tables. "These are the last bunch of jars, Apple Strudel."

"Dunka, Herr Flam, und I am grateful for your help!"

"I owe you for taking care of my bee stings. Thank YOU for showing me kindness."

"You vill find dat if you are kind und nice to other ponies, day vill be nice und nice to you in return!"

"I must confess, I misjudged you, Apple Strudel. You truly have wisdom beyond your years. I certainly hope I will be fully recovered by tomorrow so I can help out with the rest of the harvest."

"You vill be fine by den, Herr Flam. Und speaking of visdom, I must begin mein next lecture," Uncle Apple Strudel said as he got a stern look on his face and began to lecture all of the assembled jars.

iBpctF8.png

Meanwhile, Ms. Harshwhinney continued to 'water' the angry skunk until she heard Big Mac's subtle warning and turned her head around in time to see the black and white striped skunk's tail high in the air and aimed at her! Letting out a scream so loud it could almost shatter glass, the frightened mare galloped away quickly, just in time to avoid getting sprayed. The orange pelted Earth mare made a mad dash for Big Mac, hiding behind the huge stallion as she shook in fear and fright.

"Is.. is that nasty creature... gone... yet?" Ms. Harshwhinney nervously stuttered, her heart beating a mile and minute as the wide eyed mare wiped the sweat from her brow.

WWWXRbf.jpg

“Every time she drops by the school, your mother never stops talking about how amazing you and your brother are. Sometimes, it comes off rather like bragging… but I have to deal with those sorts of parents all the time, you know.”

The young mare smiled a bit hearing that her mom still talked about her, in the many letters she'd sent back to her family she didn't really ask if they'd mention her travels to their friends. As she watched Cheerilee sweep both Ingrid and another pony into hug she walked over to the tutor's side and continued to talk abit," I hope it doesn't mess with 'er lectures... she can be really longwinded y'know..." the painter looked around and laughed nervously before whispering an additional statement,"Please don' tell 'er I said that..."

Since Cheerilee was looking a bit preoccupied, Presteza decided she might as well get to work with the watering. While she was in Ingrid's view she took a watering can in her teeth and tilted her head a bit until water began sprinkling from the nozzle. After eventually getting as many trees watered as she could she grinned as she heard Applejack declaration of food arriving.

"Soups on guys! We're way ahead of schedule, so lets relax and enjoy a treat or two."

if there was one thing that could excite this pony more than a beautiful landscape and chance to paint it was good food and since arriving to help this moringin she'd come to realize if there was one thing the apples had (besides a lot of apple trees) it was good food! Galloping toward the table with her watering can still in her teeth she made sure to put the can on the wagon before taking a seat beside Bramble and patting an empty seat next to her and yelling towards Miss Marie, "Miss Marie! Wanna sit next ta me?"

"I'll have one of everything, Applejack! Sure works up a hunger, this sort of work! Come on, everypony! Time for a legendary apple family feast!"

"You two have heard why I'm here ... why are you two non-apple mares helping out with an apple family harvest?"

The painter smiled at Bramble Rose's initial statement, "I'll have wot 'e's havin'!" she said excitedly. The mare inhaled deeply of the lovely smell the food gave of and looked like she could just jump for joy. It didn't take long for Presteza to state her reason for helping out in this harvest, "Well I've read about the Zap apples since I was li'l. Since I left home and started travelin' I've wanted ta see them and paint 'em throughout their stages... "

30nhgfm.jpg

"That's right! Gotta let everypony know that. Ah know Valen and ya, but what 'bout that third member? Remmyton? The pegasus? He's not as good as Scootaloo, right?"

“Ah, don’t say ‘dat!” Babs Seed chided her cousin, who did not like picking favorites; “If Remington wasn’t a good pal like Scoots, he wouldn’t be a Cutie Mark Crusader.” Privately, the Manehattan filly admitted that Scootaloo was probably the cooler of the two pegasi, but not everypony could be as cool as either Scoots or Babs herself. That’s just how things worked in life. Meanwhile, Rem had been a friend to Miss Seed long enough to earn her complete trust, while Scoots was more or less a friend of a friend at this point, even though they were part of the same organization.

When Applejack made the call for everypony to eat lunch, Babs set aside her paintbrush and waved her cousins over as she trotted outside; “Come on guys, I wanna get somethin’ to eat!”

14aittd.png

"Miss Marie! Wanna sit next ta me?"

Having reassured Presteza that she wasn't excessively mentioned during her mother's lectures, Ingrid Marie took her sweet time to get to the picnic area. It looked like the other mare saved a seat for the magic counselor however, and Ingrid decided to accept the offer; "I'll be right there, mmkay." Once she was settled in, the unicorn helped herself to various pie slices, all the while talking with her friends and the Presteza girl.....

Mac, being entirely oblivious to anything Braeburn might have observed from his vantage point, was finding himself in a rather interesting predicament - he wasn't exactly a stallion to tolerate fools for too long, but at the same time he didn't really have it in him to tell this rather baffling mare that she was probably barking up ALL of the wrong trees with her interests...he wasn't really that kinda pony, and he suspected that was probably the reason why she was still here.

Still, the amusement at having seen her almost wind up a skunk to bursting point by mistake managed to coax an amused chuckle from him, and he shook his head as he looked back over his shoulder at her with an eyebrow raised. " Gotta be careful 'round these parts - ah once almost had a hoof bit by a snake as a foal when ah was doin' this way back when...not a lesson ah'd reccomend folks t'be followin' in the footsteps of! "

Anyway, her question prompted for a response, and he gives it with no further hesitation. " Eeyup, ah 'ken ya'all bugged him good enough, he's long gone! "

Just about then, as if on cue, a most welcome interruption presented itself in the form of Applejacks announcement of pending dinner!

"Soups on guys! We're way ahead of schedule, so lets relax and enjoy a treat or two."

" Aaaah, good ol' AJ! " Mac says with a small chuckle, before glancing back at Harshwhinney with a quick nod.

" Well, ya'all heard the mare - let's go meet up with 'em - ah'm sure ya could do with a nice somethin' to eat right about now, am ah right? "

Bramble Rose smiled to Presteza, reassuringly, as she worried about what her mom might say about her. "I know the feeling," he confided in her quietly, "Of worrying about that. My dam is a professor at Canterlot University, and all of my professors knew her. I was constantly on edge thinking about how every little mistake I made would go right back to her. Some days I was so nervous I couldn't even cast basic spells. But I would love to see your artwork some day!"

Then he turned to look over to Ingrid Marie. "And you, Miss Marie? What brought you to teaching young minds as your calling in life? Quite a challenging task, I must say, especially precocious young unicorns at that age." He dug eagerly into his own slice of pie - but by 'eagerly' he meant floating out a fork from his saddlebags and eating politely and with small bites, but swiftly. Marie's Canterlot accent was triggering just such self-conscious thoughts of his mother...

It wasn't really a thing. Since it was such short notice, Applejack had already considered such an event and was ready to pull out the emergency picnic basket from the pantry. The basket was huge, and was filled with an assortment of jams and jellies, along with peanut butter and honey. Potato chips and mashed corn meal, all prepared and ready to eat. Applejack pulled out a large carafe of milk from the ice box as well and included in the basket. "Don't you worry, Granny, I got it all covered. Maybe you can heat up a couple things, but all the snacks here are ready to eat!"

Applejack winked at all the ponies who were started to congregate around the picnic table. Some of them were already sitting and enjoying conversation while the waiting for the food to come out. In a flash, Applejack threw out everything onto the table, portions hitting each end of the table equally in large dishes and bowls and jars. "Don't be shy, dig in!"

"So Bramble Rose. What kinds of experiments did you find out about the zap apples trees?"

((Thread will transition to next day on March 31st, which is two weeks from this post.))

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

Mac had arrived in good stead for some lunchables - the watering of the zap apples had proceeded well enough, and he knew that there was plenty of time left to tackle anything else that needed doing, which pretty much boded well for the whole harvest timetable as a result. This was always a very hard-worked period of time, and this particular year was no exception...although Mac had to admit that it seemed as though more and more ponies were helping them out with each passing harvest - not that he was gonna complain about it, considering it helped smooth things along.

He'd worked up something of an appetite, and as such was sat down amongst the group of ponies with a small pile of the delicious foods in a bowl. Reaching over to serve himself a glass of milk from the carife, he glanced over at AJ and decided that he was curious to know just how things had gone on her end of the schedule.

" So AJ, how's everythin' workin' out for ya so far? "

Truth be told, he was also curious to know about how Applebloom was doing also, considering she was working on her own too - the two sisters were no doubt very competent at what they were doing, and he knew that they were both likely just as on time as his group had been...it was just that he hadn't seen either of them the whole morning, and was mostly just curious to know if anything interesting had happened with them during the days activities. Although in Appleblooms case, it was probably more likely that she was the cause of her own interesting distractions, or at the very least one of her two friends in the Crusaders.

Hopefully, though, things on their end were doing just as fine as things on his own...it wasn't like they wanted anythin' particularly dramatic to delay them, after all!

TczjcS9.png

Little Haywire followed Granny Smith into the kitchen after overhearing what AppleJack had said about the snacks. The blank flank filly's eyes nearly popped out of her head as she watched the green elderly mare moving much faster than normal as she put pots of soap on the stove and tossed salad in a large bowl.

"Never mind them taters, Haywire, I need ya ta keep the bellows goin' on the stove fer me. If'n you kin do that, I kin git the rest of the food done,"

"Yes ma'am!" Haywire neighed as she jumped on top of the bellows and kept jumping to keep it pumping up the fire in the stove. In an amazingly short time, Granny Smith had prepared plenty more food to feed all of the hungry workers just as Uncle Apple Strudel and a still visibly bandaged up Flam entered the kitchen.

"Ah! You two er jist in time ta help me git all this here food out to the troops!" Granny Smith said to the two arriving stallions.

"Javol Granny!" the bearded stallion said as he started taking pots of hot soup out to the tables.

"And I will be happy to assist you, dear Granny," Flam added as his horn glowed and the lanky unicorn stallion levitated the rest of the food items out to the waiting ponies.

"Wait jist a minute! How come yur actin' all nice all of a sudden? You better not be up ta somethin'.."

"I assure you, Granny, I have no alterior motives. Your brother has shown me great kindness, and I want to repay the favor to him."

"Alrighty Sonny, but jist remember, I'm watchin' ya!"

"An' I'm watchin' ya too!" added Haywire as she continued jumping up and down on the stove bellows.

iBpctF8.png

Ms. Harshwhinney was very relieved that the skunk she nearly had a close encounter with was gone. She was even happier that the group was being called to eat since the orange pelted earth mare was hungry.

"HAY! WAIT FOR ME!" Ms. Harshwhinney shouted as she galloped to catch up to Big Mac. The blonde mare was determined that she was going to sit with the burly stallion and dine with him. Not exactly a 'private candlelight dinner for two' but this situation would do... for now.

Apple Susie turned from her polka dot duties when she heard the voice of her cousin Babs," I'll be right with ya cuz hold on!", she then proceeded to gallop over to the sink and hoop up onto a stool and washed her hooves before galloping back over towards her cousin, "alrighty let's go get some munches!!", she galloped over towards the table and hopped up and slid down the table before bumping into some ponies flank, she glanced up and looked wide eyes at whoever pony she bumped into "Sweet Celestia I'm sorry!". She partially started looking around for the cousins that she had previously abandoned back towards the kitchen, she spotted Babs "Hey Babs, you guys come ova here!!".

Braeburn

It didn't take long for Braeburn to realize Applejack's mind was elsewhere, in this particular case, lunch. Normally he would feel a bit more slighted by his orange cousin's lack of courtesy in this regard, but if there was one thing that could distract the goldenrod stallion from friendly competition with his relatives, it was food. Besides there was little else he could do; Applejack's contraption had allowed her to water so many of the trees so quickly, he was already out of the job for the day. Score one for Applejack, that made them even: He won the basket placing, she won the watering, it all would be decided on the last day with bucking! He was sure he could win that one, having his own orchard to care for without an older sibling to divide the physical work with; Applejack was practically pampered in comparison!

Braeburn trotted over to the kitchen and peered inside, "say Apple Pie, lunch is on! Be sure to bring out yer treats from back home in AAAAAAAPLELOOSA! They'll need to try yer latest creations!" He was sure there would be all kinds of great apple themed deserts, but the pies; well that was just the Applelossian specialty! They had to represent!

The goldenrod stallion sat back down a before the checkered spread as the food was being served next to his large blonde maned cousin, Big Mac. He watched in amusement as the older pumpkin orange mare galloped up to park herself on the opposite side of the huge red stallion. Braeburn couldn’t resist, he had to know what was up and he was more than happy to ask publicly, but first he had to find out who she was. He leaned forward in front of Mac towards Harshwhinney with a huge grin, holding his forhoff out, “howdy! Ah’m Braeburn, cuzin’ to Applejack and Big Mac here! Ah noticed y’all and mah cuzin’ here are quite close so Ah figured Ah’d introduce mahself!”

Cheerilee

Cheerilee smiled and rubbed her forehoof against her chin as she looked at the colorful job the fillies did with the now pokadotted colored kitchen. It was typical of such young ponies work, messy, but creative and colorful. “Great job my little fillies! I’m sure it will help a lot in the harvest and making of the jam!” She had no idea how it would help in either, or both, but it was part of the mysterious tradition. She had to find out though, hopefully Bumpkin would know, or if not, then Applejack or Granny Smith.

Before she had a chance to walk back out of the kitchen, Cheerilee was bumped into by a small cinnamon brown filly with red and yellow locks. She must have been an Apple relative, as the school mare didn’t recognize her at all as being a local, “well hello there little filly, my name is Cheerilee, I am little Applebloom’s school teacher and Apple Bumpkin’s fillyfriend, what's your name? Are you a member of the Apple family?”

• 2 weeks later...

-Apple Bumpkin-

With a wide grin Apple Bumpkin stood next to Cheerilee as she introduced herself to the filly. It was an interesting sight to see even a filly that she hadn't met.

"Welcome to Sweet Apple Acres!" She beamed at the little filly. Perhaps she was working with Apple Bloom in the kitchen and wandered away to get some more paint and got lost or something? Who knows, but as far as Apple Bumpkin was concerned as long as she was here and wasn't causing trouble she was sure a Family Member. Like the old qoute on her room wall, "treat strangers like friends and friends like family." Bumpkin also wondered where she had heard that accent before, it sure sounded like Babs'

"Did ya' come here with Babs? 'Ah think she might still be in the kichen." Bumpkin nodded her head a few times hoping that the information she was giving was still accurate, but who honestly could keep track of all the foals running around the farm doing what they could to help.

-Apple Pie-

Apple Pie had finished with her few perfectly circle dots in the kitchen before she had even noticed that the others had left the kitchen. She had a small itch behind her ears telling her to go look for Braeburn thinking that he is most likely doing what he does best and hype her up rather then let actions speak for her. She would rather be known for what she has done to help ponies rather then what they say about her. It was a small tick that she had that she knew every time he was either talking about her or would soon be. She trotted out the door as fast as she could almost as if she was in fright or flight mode. She ran smack dab into him. He had mentioned something about lunch being on and that she should go get the treats from her cart and as quickly as she had shown up she was gone then back with them.

"Here. I saved a few just for you." She spoke softly to Braeburn knowing fully well that unless he ate one of the ones she was baking without her noticing he had yet to try her newest creation of pie where she used apple slices as the top of the crust rather then actual crust. They were much smaller then her normal pies but they were just as good!

• 2 weeks later...

As all the family members, close friends, and new friends all got together to eat a well deserved supper, Applejack couldn't help but notice, and take great joy in, the lack of snags occurring in this year's preparations. It had started with a situation in which she wasn't sure if it was possible to fill the amount requested by Filthy Rich and her extended family who wanted a chance to distribute the sometimes fabled jam in Equestria's more distant cities. But now, after a lot of hard working and muscle coming from several ponies who wanted to help, Applejack was confident that they would not only be able to fill orders, but might possibly fill them fast enough to make even more zap apple jam than was ever thought possible! "Ev'rything's all right, Big Mac."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

zappreharvest_zps47481788.png

As the sun set, a rolling storm cloud shrouded the orchard. Rain spat on leaves and saturated the paths into mud, the grass fleshing out a dark green color that sprung with the flashes of lightning. The wind was straight, blowing out of the Everfree like it had a sneezed a moment of fixable terror across the land. Nothing unusual for Ponyville's apple orchard.

As night grew on, Applejack invited all of the volunteers to stay at the barn if they wanted, however she understood if they had living arrangements at the inn in Ponyville. She only had one thing she wanted from everypony, and that was to be on time in the morning when the storm stopped so they could start bucking as soon as the light revealed a rainbow that would rippen the trees' apples. At that moment, the clock would start ticking.

So the following morning, Applejack got up before dawn, as usual, and prepared several to go breakfast items that ponies could bite into with a quick step into the kitchen. It was tim for everything to be quick as a whip! Applejack especially awaited for Bramble Rose, as she knew this was also his moment he desired most of all--to see the zap apples take their final form. (Final form on the tree, that is.) "I hope ya'll are awake and ready. That cloud is going to broken by a rainbow so big you believe your eyes." Applejack shouted across the raining land at ponies who were outside with her, and the ones who remained inside to keep from getting wet. The barn door was open for a shelter until it dried up. "Keep yer eyes peeled on the sky guys, you're not going to want to miss this!"

Mac was always an early morning pony, and today was no different...having made his way down to the breakfast selection in the kitchen.

This was where things were starting to pick up the pace, and he knew that AppleJack would be keeping her hooves on the ground and her eyes on the sky in anticipation for this rather large and glorious rainbow once the storm finished up. The ponies in the barn seemed to all be in high spirits, and he had somewhat noted that everypony was in a positive, workfriendly state of mind that would work wonders for this rather unorthodox farming session...when Zap Apples Bloomed, there was nary a second to waste and the Apple Stallion was all too aware that this was the case.

" Guess this oughta be an interestin' event for all involved! " he says, looking around for a moment at the other ponies with a small chuckle.

" Folks...Try not t'be tempted to eat 'em off the tree...ah tried that once, was a pretty shockin' experience all around - tasty, sure, but they really gotta kick to 'em raw! "

WWWXRbf.jpg

"I hope ya'll are awake and ready. That cloud is going to broken by a rainbow so big you believe your eyes." Applejack shouted across the raining land at ponies who were outside with her, and the ones who remained inside to keep from getting wet. The barn door was open for a shelter until it dried up. "Keep yer eyes peeled on the sky guys, you're not going to want to miss this!"[/bg]

Normally Presteza was not an early rise kind of pony, but this was a special occasion! She had missed the previous first moments of the new stage of the Zap apples but she was sure as sugar not gonna miss this one! She was the next one out the door right after Big Mac and left a cloud of dust behind her as she dashed out into the rain,"This is gonna be so bloody cool!" she said in a super fast tempo, with her voice cracking as she bolted out the door and sat herself down beside a certain red stallion.

She had to make sure her view wasn't the last bit obstructed so there was no way she was hiding in the barn, not when there was gonna be such an incredible scene about to unfold before her very eyes! Until the show started she figured she may as well chew the alfalfa with the stallion beside her. "So... Mister Mac. sorry again about yer mane yesterday... how it holdin' up? any lingerin' poofiness?" she asked playfully with a hint of concern in her cracking voice.

AppleBloomATTEMPT3final.png

Finishing the job had been easy enough, ensuring a smooth transition to night. It sure as rain didn't take her long to fall asleep this time and ensure a lovely night's rest. It was the most important part of the working process by far and the thing that separated an Apple from a normal pony for one very simple reason: Apples needed that sleep. Sure, everypony else may sleep just as long but Apple Bloom thought nopony slept as well as they did under a warm roof made warmer by the love shared by those inside. It didn't hurt that they were tuckered out every night and their bodies welcomed the rest. Even Apple Bloom's normal energetic form couldn't wait to dive into another night of sleep so she could feel refreshed and ready to kick flank all season long. Apples, go!

And Apples did indeed go- Apple Bloom specifically! She fot out of bed in a flash and with all the flash and power of a lightning strike went to the bathroom, got herself prepped for the day, and found herself in the kitchen even before her mind could register how exciting today was historically. Zap Apples bloomin' on the trees, ready to be bucked and prepped. So close to the finest day of the year when ponies from all across Equestria would marvel at what Sweet Apple Acres made. Nowhere else did it. Nowhere else could. Only the Apples at Sweet Apple Acres and at least once a year Apple Bloom was one of the coolest ponies in all of Equestria and everypony else would have to admit it. She grabbed a piece of toast and jumped on top of Big Mac, bouncin' up and down in excitement.

"Ah'm so excited Ah could grow wings and fly around like a dang Wonderbolt!" and she lived up to this reputation, continuing to leap up and down on top of her mountain of a brother.

TczjcS9.png

It was now the next morning and already Granny Smith was busy in the kitchen preparing breakfast for the entire crew. In the kitchen this particular day was a very special helper, Flam! Taking the sage advice he received from Uncle Apple Strudel, the lanky unicorn stallion volunteered to help out, though Granny was suspicious of his motive.

"Alrighty now, Flam! If'n ya wanna help out here, that's fine and dandy. But I'm gonna be watchin' ya! In this here kitchen, I'm the boss! Got that?"

"Yes Granny Smith, of course!"

"Now, make that thar horn stuck on yur head useful! Float all these here bowls over to the tables so our crew kin eat!"

"Your wish is my command, oh great leader..."

"Can the bugle oil, bean pole, and git ta magicin', NOW!"

"Yes ma'am," Flam said as he started using his magic to levitate bowls of oatmeal, eggs, biscuits, toast and other breakfast foods out to the tables as more ponies began to arrive for the morning meal. Meanwhile, Uncle Apple Strudel and Haywire walked over to where Big Mac and Applebloom were standing.

"I can hardly vait to see dee next sign of dee zap apples!" the bearded stallion said as he munched on a biscuit, "I have seen many of dese und day fascinate me every time I see it!"

"Gonna be mah first time see'n all this stuff!" Haywire neighed as the hapy filly jumped up and down with excitement. Then she looked up at AppleBloom who had found a good place to observe the sky from. "Hay Applebloom, Big Mac, ya got room fer one more pony up thar?"

iBpctF8.png

After quickly devouring her breakfast, Ms. Harshwhinney started searching the crowd for Big Mac, finding him easily with Applebloom perched on his back. When she overhear Haywire's question, it caused the blonde earth mare to chuckle a little.

"Oh, THERE you are, Big Mac!" she said dreamily as she now stood right next to the huge stallion. "Looking up into the sky, oh, isn't this, romantic?"

Ms. Harshwhinney slowly moved closer to Big Mac, so close that they were now almost touching. Haywire's eyes grew huge at the sight as she whispered up to Applebloom.

"Hay Applebloom, ya think Ms. Harshwhinney's gotta crush on yur brother?"

-Apple Bumpkin-

Bumpkin wrapped her hoof around Cheerilee as she looked out at the sky, this was sure going to be a sight for her to see. Perhaps she could even take a picture of it with her camera if she was fast enough.

"See Cheerilee, this is the last step of the Zap Apple Harvest, before the harvesting and the jam making of course." She spoke softly to Cheerilee trying not to distract anypony from conversations they were having. "If you can get some pictures of this I am sure that it will be quite the feat and the chapter closer for your lesson on Zap Apples." She looked out at the fields, the rain was picking up and the wind was blowing nice and hard.

"It should happen anytime now." She grinned, a sense of peace and subtle romance in the sky despite the harsh weather.

-Apple Pie-

Apple Pie sat atop Braeburn as per the norm and looked out at the sky. A soft grin on her face as she let her eyes close and her nose take in all of the smells of the rain, wind, and the earth. This, this is what made all of her hard work worth it when she could take a break from it all to just enjoy the peace and serenity that it brought to her knowing that she lent a helping hoof in this.

"So what do you think Braeburn? Is it going to be a good haul this year?" She nodded her head clearly knowing the answer was going to be yes. The whole family and then some had come together for this harvest and Apple Pie was going to cry if it didn't yield as big of a haul as they had ever seen before.

30nhgfm.jpg

"'Dis is takin' too long." Babs Seed wasn't exactly a patient filly, especially when she had nothing to do. Tapping her hoof ceaselessly, Babs waited in the barn for the storm to pass. Apparently, this storm was essential in getting the zap apples to ripen, or something like that. Alone with her thoughts, the filly then started wondering if there was ever a time when the sequence of events during the zap apple harvest didn't go as planned. Was there ever a year when the storm failed to materialize? Or when some other sign didn't show up? How much longer until the rainbow appeared? Babs Seed was a bored filly indeed, who at least stayed dry under the roof.....

Braeburn

As a member of the Apple family, Braeburn was naturally up before the dawn on the final day of the Zap Apple harvest to catch the final ripening of the magical fruit. The last time the goldenrod stallion witness the legendary Apple family spectacle was when he was a small colt; a fond memory that had never faded with time. So it was no surprise that he quickly swiped some apple fritters right off the kitchen table and trotted outside just as the first light of the morning was peering over the horizon. On his back was his ward and cousin, Apple Pie, who as far as Braeburn knew, had never actually seen the unique apples gain their rainbow sheen. “Well Apple Pie, from wut cuzin’ Applejack said, it’ll be ah bumper crop! Bigger than the usual harvest, at least Ah hopes so, since w’all have 400 jars worth of orders to fill and take back to good ol’ APPPPPPLELOOSA!!”

Braeburn trotted over and stood to the left of Big Mac and Applebloom with a large grin on his muzzle, “so Abby, y’all want to help Apple Pie and Ah buck the most Zap Apples? We can get cuzin’ Babs, and even that lil’ Haywire filly to come with too; w’all be the best buckers in Equesrtia!” He adored all his foal cousins, but other than Apple Pie, never really got to spend any time with them.

As if on cue, that strange older mare called Harshwhinny appeared right on the other side of Braburn’s large cousin and was leaning up next to him in a way that was obvious to all but the daftest pony. Fortunately for the goldenrod stallion, he didn’t even have to broach the subject; the little red filly did that for him in asking the most obvious question in a forward fashion. With a sly grin, he added in his own two bits, “that’s ah good question, lil’ Haywire! Say Mac why dontcha introduce yer filly friend here before you two run off together among the Zap Apples at dawn.”

Cheerilee

Cheerilee often got up early due to her profession, but very rarely did it, or anything else, require the mauve mare to drag herself up well before dawn early. Despite her initial grogginess, Apple Bumpkin managed to wrestle her out of bed and to Sweet Apple Acres in time to witness what no doubt would be one of the most magical moments know to Ponyville. Cheerilee was prepared, she had her straw hat, and more importantly, she had her camera. Capturing a few of the moments when the apples ripen would certainly impress future classes far more than just a lecture, no matter how interesting the subject may be.

She wrapped her foreleg around Apple bumpkin and gave a warm hug, “well I have the camera here all set up on the tripod, so hopefully it’ll capture at least a few of the Zap Apples changing when the sunlight hits them; some of the pictures are guaranteed to come out right” Well, at least she hoped so, the film roll was brand new and she made all the adjustments, now it was just luck. Cheerilee didn’t have any idea how fast or slow the change would be, but was reasonably sure she could get at least part of the moment on film.

What the mauve teacher was less sure of was her bucking skills. She had volunteered to help with the harvest, it was the least she could do in exchange for Applejack letting her stay daily on the farm during the five day affair. Although Cheerilee was sure the farmer pony would have asked for noting in return, she felt it be best that she should help, "hopefully Bumpkin hon, I won't fall too far behind the rest of you when it comes to getting them down off the trees." She may be a school teacher, but she was still an earth pony; surely that will count for something when the harvest begins.

Apple Susie never really liked waking up early in the morning but she knew that she would have to in order to catch the amazing view that was going to happen today with the Zap Apples. Apple Susie definitely without a doubt had fun the day before painting the kitchen and hopping over water cans with her cousins but today was hopefully going to top all of that combined for her. Apple Susie ran to the bathroom and freshened up and the proceeded to zoom down the steps where she bumped her rump at least three times on the last four steps, she completely let it slide and ran to the kitchen table where she sat down and started to stuff her face on some brown sugar oatmeal that had seem to come out of nowhere, she was too excited to wonder why any pony would leave behind breakfast and seriously just wanted to get outside. After she was done with her mini-breakfast she looked up and noticed Granny Smith and Flam making breakfast, or more like Granny telling Flam what to do in order to make breakfast for every pony, "Mornin' Granny! Mornin Flam!" She noticed that the breakfasts seemed to be being levitated towards the table by Flam's horn magic, "Thanks Flam fo' the breakfast! It sure was tasty but I gotta go look for a great spot to look at the Zap Apples changin' Cya!".She didn't wait to hear a response before running towards the kitchen door and bumping into a large red rump, she looked up and noticed it must have been Big Mac's butt because of his signature cutie mark. She looked further up onto Big Mac's back and noticed Apple Bloom and Haywire where standing on his back for a better view of the fields, She then noticed that Braeburn had a filly on his back as well and there seemed to be some sort of flirting going on between Big Mac and a random mare but it seemed more liked the mare was flirting by herself and Big Mac wasn't really paying attention, instead he seemed to be focusing on the fields. Susie soon noticed that she wouldn't have a good view from down near the house she was just too excited to miss a once in a life time experience "Mornin' every pony!" , Susie then proceeded to scoot in between Braeburn and Big Mac's thighs and popped out and then galloped towards the barn to get a better look out at the scenery. Once she arrived at the barn she noticed she wasn't alone, she saw Babs sitting there and not looking very happy the moment,"Hey Babs why ya look so down in the dumps? The Zap Apples are about ta' bloom aren't ya excited!?!!"

Bramble Rose was waiting outside with Applejack, an umbrella floating over his head as the rain fell all around them - not so much to keep him dry, because more than half of him was very thuroughly soaked, but more to keep his notepad dry, tucked in close with the notepad and quill floating there carefully, too. Bramble wasn't all that good at floating multiple objects, but he'd mastered these three objects a long time ago.

And his mane and head were one of those 'very wet' parts, his mane sleeked across his shoulders, like his tail was across his haunch, as he kept impatiently peering out past the umbrella and up at the sky, biting at his lower lip in a not-very-repressed huge grin as he waited eagerly for the event, wanting to cause it to happen now out of sheer excitement.

He wasn't sure how much she had understood about his babble about his discoveries so far. He really wasn't sure entirely about the 'what had he discovered'. There were REAMS of data to be had! He could hardly have gone through all of that data already! He hoped he'd explained that sufficiently ... but she seemed to have gathered enough understanding to know that he was EXTREMELY excited about this morning!

He peered down at the recording device - nicely tucked away under its own little hastily-constructed shelter - to see if he could see any sort of building magic. Oh, man... something was really coming to a head! Those swing arms were going like crazy!

He tucked his arm over Applejack's shoulders, hugging her close without really thinking about it. "Oh, stars above, this is so exictin'!" he drawled in his father's western. "Is it always this excitin'? Ah can't wait! Can you? Y'all don' think it'll forget t'happen, do y'?" He bounced up and down next to Applejack, his sopping mane and tail bouncing with him.

Archived