[Canterlot] Wonderous Art (Open, PM to join)

mjt014

6983dff0-0cb4-466e-9f96-3e5f3d84e540_zpsfd99a2d0.jpg

[colour=#0000ff]Thunder stands outside of his house, painting a magnificent view of Canterlot's scenery. The young artist stopped to look at the landscape and back to his work. He wanted to catch every detail, every little object. He would switch between his assortment of colours to carefully work on another part of his painting. Every stroke he did was with great concentration and caution. He wanted his work to be amazing; To 'wow' even the best artists. He didn't want to make any mistakes, not one wrong brush, not one [/colour] [colour=#0000ff]misplacement of colour.[/colour][colour=#0000ff] With the finishing touches and final stroke, Thunder lay his tools down to look over his masterpiece. It was magnificent, the texture was right[/colour][colour=#0000ff], the colour was the perfect shade, and the background was beautiful. It was truly a work of art. The chocolate-coated unicorn took down his newest painting to begin with another[/colour][colour=#0000ff] as he set up a new canvas. With his tools ready, he began painting once more.[/colour]

• 3 weeks later...

[colour=#212121]

201px-This_One%27s_Too_Old_2_S2E17.pngMr Waddle[/colour]

[colour=#212121]

250px-Ms._Harshwhinny_id_S3E12.pngMs. Harshwhinney[/colour]

Walking near Thunder Stroke's home are two older Earth Ponies, one a stallion with big glasses while the other, a stern looking mare.

[colour=#696969]"It's so good to be in Canterlot again," [/colour]Mr Waddle said with a smile, [colour=#696969]"I was here for the Royal Wedding, y'know."[/colour]

[colour=#FF8C00]"Yes, I was here too, Mr Waddle," [/colour]Ms. Harshwhinney said as she continued walking with him. [colour=#FF8C00]"Say, what is that young pony doing over there?"[/colour]

[colour=#696969]"He appears to be painting something."[/colour]

[colour=#FF8C00]"Ah! I do love art, let's go over and see what he's painting," [/colour]the orange mare in the purple blazer said as she and Mr. Waddle walked over to where Thunder Stroke was working.

[colour=#696969]"Hello young unicorn!" [/colour]Mr. Waddle said with a smile.

[colour=#FF8C00]"Greetings," [/colour]added Ms. Harshwhinney, [colour=#FF8C00]"what, may I ask, are you painting?"[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]As Thunder was busy creating another masterpiece, two older Earth ponies[/colour][colour=#0000ff] walked up to him.[/colour][colour=#0000ff] He turned to them as they introduced themselves.[/colour]

[colour=#696969]"Hello young unicorn!" [/colour][colour=#0000ff]The grey one with hardly any hair for his mane or tail[/colour] [colour=#0000ff]said with a smile.[/colour][colour=#0000ff] [/colour]

[colour=#ff8c00]"Greetings,"[/colour][colour=#0000ff] [/colour][colour=#0000ff]The stern-looking mare added, [/colour][colour=#ff8c00]"what, may I ask, are you painting?"[/colour][colour=#0000ff] [/colour][colour=#0000ff]Thunder turned to the Earth Ponies, stopping at his current painting. He set his tools down on the canvas stand as he spoke to the mare to answer her question.[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Hello, it's nice to meet you, my name is Thunder Stroke. I'm making a painting inspired by the Everfree Forest at night. I have already finished a painting partaking in the scenery of Canterlot. Do you want to see?" Thunder said, turning to his latest work as he surrounded it with a blue glow. He levitated it off the ground, next to him to show it's beautiful texture. "So, what do you think?" He wondered what impact his art will have on them. The perfect shade of colour, the smoothness of the edges, the texture, and not one mistake present on it.[/colour]

Mr Waddle and Ms. Harshwhinney examined all of the paintings Thunder Stroke showed them.

[colour=#696969]"These are quite remarkable, young stallion!" [/colour]Mr Waddle neighed with a smile. [colour=#696969]"Oh, by the way, I'm Mr. Waddle and this is my good friend Ms. Harshwhinney. She's the official Equestria Games Inspector! Tell us, Whinney, what do you think of all these paintings?"[/colour]

Ms. Harshwhinney examined all of them carefully. The orange Earth Pony had been an art critic much longer than she's been at her present job. But looking up at the two stallions, Ms. Harshwhinney realized that Thunder Stroke had worked very long and hard on these paintings. She wanted to be truthful, but she also didn't want to sound too discouraging to a younger horse with much talent.

[colour=#FF8C00]"These paintings show a great deal of promise," [/colour]she began to explain. [colour=#FF8C00]"I do like your choice of colours and scene selection. But may I suggest you touch up the leaves in this first painting? Adding a bit of swirl to them could make them look even more lifelike. And the painting of the river could use a few more wild animals to enhance the realism. Perhaps a white bunny or a raccoon in the background could help the overall effect."[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]Thunder waited as they examined his paintings carefully. If there was something more he needed to add, he'll take any advice that he can to make them seem like angels made them. The young Unicorn smiled as Mr. Waddle told him his art was remarkable. He turned to Ms. Harshwhinney as he introduced her. Hearing that she's the official Equestria Games Inspector amazed him.[/colour][colour=#0000ff] Mr. Waddle told her what she thinks of his paintings. Thunder stood calm, ready to make any changes that she would point out.[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]She began with his paintings showing great promise and her likeness for the colours and scene selection then, she started with pointing out the things he can improve. Thunder used his levitation magic to turn his painting towards him, so he can inspect the things she pointed out. He put his left hoof under his chin and squint his eyes for an inspection himself. The young Colt nodded as he agreed with her. "Your right, the leave could be more lifelike and the scenery can use a river with animals. I was too caught up in the background to focus on these details. Thank you for pointing them out. I can easily take care of this in an instant." [/colour][colour=#0000ff]He then, levitated his paint brush with his magic along with the desired paint. He levitated the art supplies to him and grabbed his paint brush. He dipped it into blue paint and immediately began [/colour][colour=#0000ff]adding what Ms. Harshwhinney pointed out. Swirls on the leaves and a river with animals for more realism. The Unicorn Pony had finished immediately as he had started, in less than one minute. The extra details he added were flawless and superb.[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]Thunder levitated his paint supplies safely back near his unfinished artwork of Everfree Forest and turned the his painting of Canterlot around to show them the extras. "So, what do you think now?"[/colour][colour=#0000ff] He said with anticipation and a hint of excitement in his voice. It was amazing that Unicorn can add details to a painting that fast.[/colour]

Luminous Charge let out a wide yawn as he sauntered through the sun soaked streets of Canterlot, taking in every vibrant detail of the city. It was indeed a lovely and bustling hub, if only a little too posh at times. That seemed an odd thought to be coming from a pegasus as perfectly groomed and impeccably dressed as he was, however it was only Lume’s tastes and impression that had taken on an expensive flair in his time as a successful artist – he still could not keep up with the stuffy attitudes of the “Elite,” despite the fact that a great deal of their money was sustaining his comfort

As he passed by a shop window, a quick glance confirmed that his clothing still lacked any sort of wrinkle; he was sporting a bespoke vest of inky-black worsted wool over a grey button-up shirt with the sleeves rolled up high for a “casual appearance,” all finished off by his brightly shining golden pocket watch chain that stretched from his break pocket into the middle of his shirt. A quick toss of his short mane and he was off again, meandering over the warm cobblestones.

Another yawn escaped the Pegasus, and he furrowed his brow ever so slightly; he had had an extremely early morning overseeing the transport of one of his more delicate and whimsical sculptures to a private garden belonging to one of Canterlot’s Elite where it would be on display for the next year or so. It was sturdy enough standing outside in the weather, but transport was always a much iffier situation, and one the artist always made sure to be a part of. He had lost a sculpture to a clumsy moving team once before, and ever since he has insisted he be present at every move. It has made him quite busy!

Lume’s quiet afternoon walk was soon to become much more exciting, however, as he stumbled upon a young colt displaying his work to a mare and elderly stallion. Immediately, Luminous Charge approached the painting and absorbed all of the details. It was quite the feat for such a young pony! It was unpolished, yes, but still at the level of one who was destined for a successful career. A quick look at the lad’s cutie mark confirmed that painting was indeed his calling.

[colour=#800000]“Impressive work for your age, if still a little tight and inhibited,”[/colour] the stallion said in his deep voice as he moved from the magically suspended painting of Canterlot to the unfinished piece on the easel, [colour=#800000]“What is your name? Have you any formal training?”[/colour]

No introductions, no greetings – no wonder the tall, dark brute was often considered so cold.

Mr Waddle and Ms. Harshwhinney watched as their new friend touched up his paintings.

[colour=#696969]"These are quite good," [/colour]Mr. Waddle said with a smile. [colour=#696969]"I truly admire your style!"[/colour]

[colour=#FF8C00]"Ah! You've taken my advice!" [/colour]the regal Earth pony mare neighed. [colour=#FF8C00]"Much improved. Don't you agree?"[/colour]

Soon they saw that a Pegasus stallion had walked over to express his thoughts.

[colour=#696969]"Hello there young stallion! I'm Mr. Waddle and this is Ms. Harshwhinney, pleased to meet you!"[/colour]

[colour=#FF8C00]"I see you also have a keen eye for art. I believe more ponies should take the time to appreciate fine works of art, don't you?"[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]As Thunder was showing the Earth Pomies his painting, a tall, dark pegasus came up to him to examine his art himself.[/colour][colour=#0000ff] He told him it was impressive work of someone his age. His voice was deep, which made his appearance more ominous. To other Ponies his appearance would make him uneasy. Thunder was an exception as he didn't mind the tall pegasus looming over him. He thought you shouldn't judge someone just by how they look. He moved from Thunder's magically floating painting and to the unfinished one of Everfree Forest. He asked for his name and if he has any formal training. "My name is Thunder Stroke. I don't have any formal training. I really just practice my skills myself." [/colour][colour=#0000ff]He said, turning his head to see the pegasus looking at the canvas behind him. [/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]Thunder turned back to Mr. Waddle and Ms. Harshwhinney as the complemented his painting, Ms. Harshwhinney for his improvements. The young Colt smiled when Mr. Waddle told he he admired his style. His happiness increased as Ms. Harshwhinney voiced her own for his improved work. "Thank you, that means a lot."[/colour]

The looming stallion was in his own world, taking in every detail of the unfinished painting with a quiet sense of appreciation. He was so lost in his thoughts, in fact, that he almost missed the conversation happening around him. As though it was an afterthought, he turned to face the other two admirers and looked them over with his bright, green eyes.

[colour=#800000]“A pleasure, sir,”[/colour] he said quietly to Mr. Waddle before turning to address Harshwhinney,[colour=#800000] “My name is Luminous Charge, and I suppose I do have an eye for art.”[/colour]

He turned back towards the young unicorn, then, a stern expression on his face as he sized the aspiring painter up. [colour=#800000]“No formal training, hm? That is quite impressive for one your age, and could liberate you of the burdens of academic pretentions. Not to mention you are free to discover your own style if you continue independently. That is entirely your choice however.”[/colour]

For one so normally quiet, it would shock those who knew Lume to see him so talkative. But that was to be expected, wasn’t it? The topic of art was the quickest way to breathe life into a conversation with the sculptor. He turned back towards the painting of the Everfree forest, then, and found himself compelled to speak yet again. For talent so fresh and ready to blossom, he wanted to offer up as much advice and criticism as he could for the young unicorn – having a great deal to think about and mull over was healthy for an artist at any stage of their career after all!

[colour=#800000]“You strive for perfection?”[/colour] he asked, again turning his critical eye towards the unicorn. He could sense it from the brushstrokes – careful, tight, and aiming to flawlessly capture every character of his surroundings. From what Lume could sense, the young pony could certainly due to loosen up. Perfection and realism were valuable qualities, but one must learn to explore and experiment as well!

[colour=#FF8C00]"Charmed to make your acquaintance," [/colour]Ms. Harshwhinney said to Luminous.

[colour=#696969]"Pleased to meet ya too, sonny!" [/colour]added Mr. Waddle.

[colour=#FF8C00]"We all strive for perfection, in all our endeavors, sir," [/colour]the orange blazer wearing mare said as she turned to Thunder Stroke. [colour=#FF8C00]"Is painting a hobby or a vocation for you, Thunder Stroke?"[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]Thunder turned back to the pegasus as he looked him up and down with a stern look. He told him it was impressive for a Pony at his age to be this skill in the works of art. Liberated from academic pretensions; Free to discover his own style as he continue on his independent path[/colour].[colour=#0000ff] Still, the choice is his as the pegasus had said recently[/colour][colour=#0000ff]. The pegasus turn his gaze to his unfinished painting once more. He found himself compelled to speak. He asked a question about Thunder wanting to strive for perfection as he turned towards him again. The Young Unicorn turned his body entirely towards the paegsus as he was ready to speak. "Well yes, but it's not just perfection. I want to be a great artist someday and be known by many across Equestria. From your question, you could understand my need for my paintings to be great. I'm take careful strokes, because I'm worried I'll mess up all my hard work. I sort of get nervous on painting something which results into what you see now." [/colour][colour=#0000ff]As he finished explaining his style of paint, Thunder awaited the pegasus's response[/colour][colour=#0000ff].[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]Thunder turned back ti Ms. Harshwhinney, his painting still floating in the air. He wanted to answer her question on his painting being a hobby or vacation. "Painting is a hobby for me, Ms. Harshwinney. It's also my talent, in fact, my talent is not just in painting but in all art as well."[/colour]

[colour=#800000]“Hmmm,”[/colour] Lume said with a nod,[colour=#800000] “I see. Well, Thunder Stroke, I would like to offer you some advice.”[/colour]

Before continuing with his little speech, the sculptor allowed his stance to relax a little. He realized that he was probably acting a little too stiff and intimidating for one so young, and didn't want to make the professional art world seem too scary.

[colour=#800000]“First off, I would like to let you know that I’m not just blowing off hot air. I myself am a professional artist and have been working as one for years, so my knowledge must be somewhat credible,”[/colour] he began with a bit of a playful grin,[colour=#800000] “Ms Harshwhinney, you are indeed correct to say that we all strive for perfection in what we do, and to a certain point that is healthy. With art, however, one mustn't always obsess over creating the perfect image. If we limit ourselves by merely obsessing over how to create the most technically profound image, then we are never really pushing ourselves. With enough time and dedication, one with little technical skill can train themselves to copy reality perfectly on a canvas or a slab of rock. But an artist learns to push past those boundaries.”[/colour]

The Pegasus lifted his wings a little as he spoke, the glossy feathers shining a rich chocolate brown in the sunlight. He began to pace a little as he spoke, and there seemed to be some endless energy welling in him as he spoke – a font of passion.

[colour=#800000]“Thunder Stroke, you are a young unicorn with very impressive talent, but from one artist to another I challenge you to push yourself. Move beyond your canvas with a perfect image – forget about wowing your viewers with breathtaking realism. Try exploring all that you can do with art, trying experimenting – be prepared to make mistakes and most importantly, ready yourself to learn from those mistakes. Much of the joy of art is trying and failing, and learning just how far a piece can go before it falls apart.

Keep in mind that I’m not saying your current approach to art is wrong: there are innumerable masterpieces in Equestria which are realistic and stunning paintings on a canvas. All I wish to communicate with you is to try loosening up and forget about perfection from time to time. Learn as much as you can in order to find yourself as an artist and open up a future of limitless options and potential.”[/colour]

Luminous Charge stopped pacing, and as he turned to face the small gathering of ponies he folded his wings neatly against his back again, the movement precise and swift as he took care not to wrinkle his clothing. A very uncharacteristic look of bashfulness swallowed the artist, then, and he sheepishly turned his gaze to the horizon.

[colour=#800000]“I apologize for my ramble. Discussions of art…sometimes do this to me.”[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]After hearing Thunder's explanation, Luminous Charge offered him some advice. Before he continued, the pegasus relaxed a little to continue his speech. He told Thunder that he is a professional artist and has been working as one for years. It made since of is knowledge towards art. He began this speech with a playful grin as he spoke to Ms. Harshwhinney that one mustn't always obsess over the perfect image. Luminous was right, you'll never be able to push yourself just by focusing on perfect imagery. [/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]Thunder nodded to Luminous, agreeing that he should push himself further through the obsession of perfection. Luminous lifted his wings as he spoke, pacing with a font of passion. He challenges Thunder to push himself beyond the boundaries of the perfect image and into exploration and experimentation. He said for him to be prepared to make mistakes and more importantly learn from them. After all, there hasn't been an artist who's made a mistake with a painting before. All he was saying is for him to loosen up and forget about the perfect picture from time to time. He was right, he should search for other inspiration and learn as he can in order to find himself as an artist and open up to a future of limitless options and potential.[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]Luminous Charge stopped pacing as he turned to a small group of ponies. Thunder looked to the group then, back at Luminous. The said pegasus folded his wings, neatly against his back again. A look of bashfulness spread on his face as he turned sheepishly to the horizon. He apologized for his ramble, however Thunder thought it as a well thought out out speech. The young Unicorn shook his head to disapprove of it as a ramble. " It's alright Luminous, right, I don't think of it as a ramble. In fact, your speech has encourage me to look at the other aspects of art other than perfection. Your right, I should explore and experiment than worry on the perfectionism of my paintings. I'm going to make mistakes, right, every artist makes mistakes and if you mess something up, you can learn from it. Also, I should loosen up. Everything doesn't have to be perfect. I'll learn all I can to become even better." Before going up to Luminous, Thunder levitated his magically suspended masterpiece safely to his other art and supplies. The Colt walked up to the Stallion and held out his right hoof for a shake. "Thank you for those words you said, from now on I'm going to work on my art differently."[/colour]

[colour=#ff8c00]"The advice you've been given is quite sound," [/colour]Ms. Harshwhinney said. [colour=#ff8c00]"But remember one thing, your art is your own. Don't let anypony change your vision or dissuade you from painting what YOU want to paint. Artists will always seek inspiration from outside sources and that's fine, but this art is YOUR art, Thunder."[/colour]

[colour=#696969]"Whinney's right," [/colour]added Mr. Waddle. [colour=#696969]"Paint what's in your heart. You can never go wrong that way."[/colour]

[colour=#ff8c00]"I admire your skill. I wish I had your level of talent in my filly years. I could never seem to get the knack for painting, though I grew up being an art critic."[/colour]

The tall stallion nodded his approval at the aspiring artist and rolled his shoulders slightly, fidgeting a little in order to try to fully regain his composure. He found a small smile wanting to come out in his expression, and it turned into a full beam as Ms. Harshwhinny spoke. When she and Mr. Waddle had their say, he gave Thunder Stroke an enthusiastic nod.

[colour=#800000]“Ms. Harshwhinny is indeed correct, young one. Your sense of individuality is extremely important, and not just to your art.”[/colour]

Lume turned towards the caramel coloured mare then, still grinning his approval.

[colour=#800000]“I should have guessed that you are employed in the arts,”[/colour] he said,[colour=#800000] “You are, after all, quite well informed. Do you still paint, by any chance? And how about yourself, sir?”[/colour]

He smiled inquisitively at the elderly stallion. The afternoon sun was falling from its zenith, casting rich golden hues across the colourful city of Canterlot. Luminous Charge forgot, sometimes, the beauty of the city when he came in for work. Perfectionism and stress ruled him more than he himself would like to admit, and he realized that he should learn to take his own advice from time to time. Perhaps, when the sun set, he would take the time to enjoy a leisurely flight around the city – it had been days since his last pleasure flight as he organized the move for his sculpture from Trottingham to Canterlot. And when he returned home, he felt like he had new inspiration to create another sculpture!