The Soul of a Town (Closed; PM for entry)

SteelEagle

The pink mare shivered as the Mayor yoinked out of her grasp. She tapped the door closed with a hind-hoof, instantly dispelling the cold, howling wind from outside. The soft smells and sounds of the bakery took over. The warm creaking of the wood-fired oven, the bubbling of vats of pastry cream, the crackling of the wood beneath the hearth. Several thumps, followed by the giggling of young foals, echoed from upstairs. Maybe a few choice words might have slipped out from the parents above as well, but they were quite muffled. [colour=#ED458B]"Sounds to me like Pumpkin is having another magic spurt!" [/colour]Crash. Shatter. [colour=#ED458B]"Yessiree!"[/colour]

Pinkie Pie returned her attention to the Mayor, who was just relaying why she wasn't here. Her jaw dropped to the floor in disbelief. [colour=#ED458B]"Waaaait a second, Mayor Mare! If you're not here to take Sugercube Corner, we have to make an appointment before you do it?! That's silly! Why in Celestia's sparkly mane would we do that?" [/colour]She flopped on her back, looking exhausted. She peered past a dollop of her poofy pink mane with one of her large blue eyes, blinking at the Mayor in earnest confusion. [colour=#ED458B]"So if you're not here to do that, why are ya here? Of course you're welcome anytime, but you wouldn't be using your power of Mayor to get the baked goods earlier than everyone else, would you?" [/colour]Pinkie give her a stern look, putting her hooves on her hips. [colour=#ED458B]"Gloomy business? I guess doughnuts could be considered gloomy business if you're trying to watch your figure. I mean golly Mayor Mare, I know it's hard to give up on pastry. I have to work out for two hours a day with the Twins to keep it all off! If you ever wanted to come do that, I'm sure the foals wouldn't mind. Sometimes I like to lay on my back with both Twins in my hooves and lift them like little giggling weights! Heehee! One two, one two, one two!"[/colour]

She paused. Blink. [colour=#ED458B]"Oh, right? If you Pinkie Pie Swear you're not here to abuse your political powers to get a doughnut before anypony else, I'd be happy to give you one, gratis! You do know how to Pinkie Pie Swear, right? As for our selection, we have hay-custard creme, chocolate fudge grass ripple, oatmeal honey jam, apple fritters -- I daresay better than Sweet Apple Acres [/colour](she whispered) [colour=#ED458B]-- and of course our super deluxe cereal nut crunch with chia seeds. Mr. Cake says they're very trendy! Swear first!" [/colour]Pinkie Pie sat on her haunches straight-faced, looking expectantly to the Mayor.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

mayormarerevectorizedby.png

Pinkie Pie was like a rocket of barely contained energy that was firing off in all directions randomly at all times with nary an igniter in sight. It was scary to think that she was a normal pony like everypony else, meaning that conceivably should she ever have foals they would each have a little sliver of her spark and such a thing was the stuff that madhouses were made of. It was still charming though, her bubbly and attractive personality a bright beacon at all times and one of the few ponies in town who could turn a frown upside down without even having to try all that hard. And it was that very skill that brought the Mayor Mare freezing and hungry into Sugarcube Corner that morning, even if Pinkie Pie didn't seem to suffer from the morning doldrums like everypony else. She truly was unique, wasn't she?

[colour=#cc00cc]"If I am going to take somepony's livelihood away, I'm going to do it during my business hours since it's business. This trip is not that sort of business, gloomy as it may be, it is in regards to the-" [/colour]She was about to reveal why she was there, but Pinkie launched another endless diatribe regarding her political power and doughnuts as well as weight loss and babysitting? The Mayor barely followed along, eventually abandoning that hope as foolish. When Pinkie was done, the Mayor laughed nervously as her brain tried to compute what had just happened. Again, foolish hope- Pinkie Pie had happened and that would have to be enough for her as little description otherwise was needed or sufficed. She sighed- she knew the Pinkie Pie swear well enough by now.

[colour=#cc00cc]"I Pinkie Pie Swear. Cross my heart and hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye," [/colour]The Mayor motioned along positively, stopping short of jabbing her eye out. She then smiled.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Pinkie, I'm so hungry I'll take anything. I'll trust your baker's instincts on this. Anyway, I'm here for a very important task that only you are capable of doing. I have already met with Rarity and Applejack and both have agreed to do their part, but it's just the start. As you know, the shelter for the less fortunate thrives on the generosity and kindness of the townsponies, but recent mistakes have made it so that by tomorrow night, the shelter will not have food or warm clothes for the last part of winter. Rarity has agreed to make clothes, Applejack to provide food. I was wondering if as Ponyville's most lovable and delightful mare if you could perhaps provide them with some entertainment, perhaps a party exclusively for them? I'm no good at ideas to be frank, but I know if anypony would know how to turn their frowns upside down it'd be you."[/colour]

• 2 weeks later...

Pinkie Pie sat quietly before the befuddled Mayor. Her normally smiling pink face was locked into a mask of neutral expectation, leaving nothing but bakery sounds and the odd thump from upstairs to the ambient noise of the bakery. Her lips curled into a terrific grin as she heard the Mayor recite the sacred words. The promise was set, and her intentions were revealed to be truly vanilla. The pastry cream and chocolate would flow. [colour=#ED458B]"Eeeeexcellentimoondo! If you're hungry, you're definitely in the right place!" [/colour]

When Pinkie Pie said "a doughnut," she actually meant "a dozen doughnuts." The pink mare did an expert backflip behind the bakery case, grabbed a pink box stamped with a sugar-white lacy motif -- one of Sugarcube Corner's trademarks -- and began to pile freshly-made pastries into the container. Apple fritters, grass ripple fudge doughnuts, rainbow-hued crunchy cream puffs -- she piled in one of everything. She shoved the overstuffed box down the length of the counter, where it came to rest just shy of the edge, where Mayor Mare was standing. [colour=#ED458B]"She shoots, she scoooores! Waah! The crowd goes wild!" [/colour]Pinkie raised her arms up, cheering. A giggle, crash, and splash of water echoed from upstairs, almost as if in reply.

She listened intently as Mayor Mare relayed her real reason for visiting. She nodded knowingly as she stuffed a fudge-hay chocolate cake doughnut in her face. Chocolate dribbled down her pink chin as she chewed noisily. [colour=#ED458B]"You need a party?! Of course I'd be happy to throw one on for everypony! I'll talk to Mr. and Mrs. Cake about donating some extra-extra food too! Cupcakes! Cakes! Pies! Oh yes indeedie, this will be so much fun, even the fun will be having fun!" [/colour]She paused, tapping her chin with a fudge-covered hoof. [colour=#ED458B]"Fun...having fun? Does that make any sense?" [/colour]She tweaked one of her ears, lost in serious thought. [colour=#ED458B] [/colour][colour=#ED458B]"I'll say yes...yes, even fun can have fun! Ooh, we'll make balloon animals, and have a conga line...I'll call up Vinyl and see about getting some cool pony beats goin' down! Awww yes!" [/colour]She continued on like this for...a while. A long while. She noticed Mayor Mare after a time, grinning.

[colour=#ED458B]"I'm glad you're not taking Sugarcube Corner. I didn't vote for you last time, but I think you're pretty swell! How are the doughnuts, mmm?"[/colour]

mayormarerevectorizedby.png

The sacred oath fulfilled, Pinkie Pie went about giving Mayor Mare the deliciousness she so well deserved having worked her flank off that morning. Mayor Mare didn't think herself a glutton, but by Celestia Sugarcube Corner's freshest productions were worthy of the mouth-wettening saliva that they produced against everypony's will. These things were going to get eaten, and they were going to get eaten hard and and fast and without any mercy. The box might even get eaten if any chocolate or apple-creamy deliciousness was left over. The only thing stopping her from eating everything right then was basic decency and a calculation of the cost. With everything in the box, including specialty items, it came out to around sixteen bits- maybe a tad more. To be safe, the Mayor started fishing out some bits while Pinkie energetically described what she had in mind for the party.

No reason to give her any hints or tips for the party. She was the party master of course, the pony anypony went to for advice and the sort of pony who could make a party out of a rainy day on a sinking ship. And what she was planning for the less fortunate of Ponyville was one of her classic, all-out extravaganzas that would be sure to put their minds at ease before slapping on smiles that wouldn't cease until the party was through. Only she could do it, a unique gift of spreading the very lifeblood of a pony's soul, happiness and joy, friendship and love, and through their enrichment everypony they would meet. That was in all actuality what she meant to this town. Through Pinkie Pie, a thousand ponies would feel her personal touch, and ten per everypony she touched directly would launder her influence in the currency of a town's unspoken aura that was the truest judge of a populace. Perhaps more than anypony else, more than the Mayor, Twilight, Rarity, or Applejack, Pinkie Pie was vital.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Thank you so much, Pinkie Pie. I am sure you will do incredible, as you always do with parties. It means a lot to me- it will mean more for them. You're a super special mare!"[/colour] The mayor offered with a small laugh, laying seventeen bits on the table, [colour=#cc00cc]"I think that should cover it. Thank you for the delicious box, Pinkie Pie,"[/colour] another small giggle, [colour=#cc00cc]"I doubt I'll make it to Rainbow Dash's with any of these left. Have a wonderful day, Pinkie. Give my regards to the Cakes,"[/colour] and with that she trotted out with a wide smile.

• 3 weeks later...

Pinkie Pie was still chattering as Mayor Mare made for the door. She looked almost sad to see her go. [colour=#ED458B]"Waaaait! You can't leave these bits! You Pinkie Pie Swore that you weren't abusing your Mayoral Powers to get pastries earlier than the earliest early customer, and I said they'd be free!" [/colour]With a grin, she shoved the modest pile of bits across the table. Several clinked to the floor. Another crash came from upstairs. Pinkie paused for a moment to look up. [colour=#ED458B]"Oh good, I think the Cakes're almost done getting the Twins ready. Pumpkin especially can be a real hoof full!" [/colour]

She glanced back to Mayor Mare with her large, blue eyes. Her cheeks were somewhat flushed from the warm mugginess of the bakery. She turned her attention to an oven, yoinking out several trays of chocolate cupcakes. [colour=#ED458B]"Put the bits towards those that need'um! I may not be the Element of Generosity, but I believe everypony can take a lesson from my dearest dear friend Rarity! It's the right thing to do! Whew!" [/colour]Pinkie mopped her brow, sighing. [colour=#ED458B]"Be sure to share a few doughnuts with Dashie! I think she's fond of the fudge grass ripple ones!"[/colour]

With that, Pinkie returned to setting up the bake shop for the obligatory early morning rush. She waved an overstuffed pastry bag in the Mayor's direction, squirting globs of pink frosting in random directions. [colour=#ED458B]"Toodles! See ya! Stay warm! Have a super great day full of bright sunshine...if the sun decides to stop hiding!"[/colour]

mayor_mare_revectorized_by_kna-d4v3hue1_zps84340de8.png

Her energy reserves were hovering near completely expended, her older body not really holding up. At this stage she was held up by will, a mission, and chocolate. Delicious, delicious chocolate. Sugarcube corner was probably the greatest lifesaver in history, above and beyond the local Hospital. It also made the Mayor calm down a bit. Ever since she had first woken up her mind had been a blizzard of issues and possibilities ranging from success to failure and all points in between and beyond. Her leadership was hardly ever taxed. Her ponies were by and large reliable, capable, independent and responsible, with the exceptions generally being more carefree and excitable than dramatic and worrying. And on the rare occasion that something big did happen, it was far above her level or capability to respond to. Nothing she could do about Nightmare Moon, Discord had turned hr world upside down and she had no idea what had struck until afterward, and the contingencies for a Changeling invasion never had to be implemented, though how effective they'd be should Canterlot fall was a matter of some speculation...well, none. Everypony knew there was nothing they could do.

Of those who understood the qualities of leadership, she had many options to choose from...and had promptly spoken to or was planning on meeting them later anyway. But Rainbow Dash was unique. Applejack was a great leader, but sudden threats to her livelihood were rare thankfully and her only real challenges came from within. Twilight Sparkle was a generation defining leader both in scale and quality, but the Mayor couldn't use her in this situation and the Mayor wanted to keep her pleas to Royalty to a minimum. Didn't want them thinking she was out of her depth and somepony else was better for the position, now did she? No, her options were many but few, wide but narrow. Luckily, in the narrow spaces she had the perfect option, the perfect pony for the perfect storm of problems. And if anypony could stop the perfect storm, it was the pony perfect for Mayor Mare at that moment. Rainbow Dash was a leader who had to deal with both long term planning and sudden changes and drastic circumstances being thrust upon her. She didn't always win, but she never let the Mayor down with her effort. She was well-respected within her team and the Mayor didn't doubt that Ponyville would count itself lucky once more thanks to her.

So she trotted to the cliff that was close to her amazing cloud mansion, which acted as the best method of getting in contact with the daring mare most mornings. Though this time the Mayor came equipped with gooey delicious deliciousness from Sugarcube Corner, the surviving doughnuts still beaming with all of their dastardly goodness still as fresh as the morning sun which at seven in the morning was just starting to fight to rise. They were still some time off from it's actual rise, but sometimes you could actually feel it- maybe more so for a pegasi.

[colour=#cc00ff]"Rainbow Dash, might I have a word with you?!"[/colour] The Mayor exclaimed from the cliff, promptly chowing down on another doughnut, leaving two for Dash. Bribes were always useful.

A proper snowflake took an inordinate amount of time, skill, and patience to create, and was absolutely vital for a proper winter season - constancy of snow cover, staying power, coating potential, drift mechanics - Dash could list out most of the reasons why, in the preparation for winter snowfall, it was required to spend such an inordinate amount of time carefully crafting such tiny, crystaline architectures of which she'd never been able to summon up the patience to perform more than adequately.

Crafting snow, on the other hand, was easy. One didn't need a perfect crystalline structure or staying power or anything like that - one didn't even need to be awake. Dash's wing flickered at the shouts, freed itself from the thick blankets, and reached out to scoop a chunk out of the wall of her home. Only changing the pattern of her snores, Dash rolled onto her stomach to free her other wing, which sprang loose and worked with the first to pack the large chunk of cloud down into a small ball of snow, hauled back, and flung it right through the wall to fly out into the winds. Not being awake, her aim - thankfully for the mayor - was not that good, and the snowball went wide the mark.

Mission accomplished, her wings burrowed swiftly back down under the blankets, and Dash remained blissfully unaware. [colour=#0000cd]"SNNNNRRRRRZKZZZZKZKKRarblegarbleZZNRRRRRKKKKSKSKKKRK"[/colour]

Just like with a filly feeling her oats for the first time and realizing she could struggle against her mother who was attempting to feed her, you had to work with Rainbow Dash to actually wake her up. Not only was she Ponyville's best weather mare, but she would win a world championship of sleep if such a competition were to be held. It was rather infuriating at times, more than once the Mayor found herself in desperate need of contact with the napping mare and found herself yelling up at clouds like an elderpony at the home raging about the young fillies and colts in town ruining the front lawn of the building. At least they had an excuse! Well, nopony was perfect. She had to remind herself that more than once she had fallen asleep at her office, and that was during business hours!

In any case, now her bribes came into play.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Rainbow Dash, I must speak with you!"[/colour] She began with some authoritarian flair, if only to stoke the fires of Rainbow's rebellious lesser nature. Hopefully with her mind momentarily attuned to the waking world, the Mayor re-opened the box of doughnuts and allowed the deliciousness to infect the air around her and the mansion as she gently cooed the winged beast out of her bed.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Rainbow Dash, I have fresh doughnuts from Sugarcube Corner! Pinkie Pie made them absolutely scrumptious! Hmmmmmmmm!" [/colour]The Mayor cooed, taking a doughnut out and preparing to take a bite slowly.

The snoring continued unabated, as Dash remained quite firmly asleep. And yet, another snowball, and then a third, hurtled through the cloud wall of Dash's home, thudding into the snow around Mayor Mare. Dash made an annoyed noise, turned over in her sleep, and started into a resonant repeat of the previous verses of snoring, this time with feeling and extra intensity. The clouds and rainbows making up her home shuddered and trembled for a moment under the onslaught.

The Mayor sighed, dodging the incoming snowballs with ease as aimless and expected as they were. She had been expecting something like this when she walked up but that didn't make it any easier to deal with. She was tired. Insanely tired. Upset and in the throes of a crisis, and now having to deal with an unruly pegasus. Not for the first time did she dearly wish to have be a unicorn and levitate the mare out, or have wings and get Dash out herself. Instead, she would simply have to fight tit for tat to get Rainbow Dash up and out of bed and into a position to help the Mayor solve another crisis that threatened to ruin somepony's life in their little town of Ponyville.

Of course, she had a more effective projectile. She reached in and grabbed a doughnut as Rainbow Dash's snoring shook the heavens and took a few seconds too consider the angles of where the snoring was coming from. She had one shot of getting Rainbow Dash up, and by Celestia she was too tired for this tomfoolery. She got her angle right and tossed the doughnut through the window, and didn't waste a second in following it up.

[colour=#cc00cc]"RAINBOW DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAASH, THE EQUESTRIAN GAMES ARE COMING TO PONYVILLE!"[/colour]

Rainbow Dash rolled over in her bed as the donut came flying in through the hole in her wall left by the exiting snowball, hurtling through the air to land right in her mouth. Her loud and resonant [colour=#0000cd]"SNRRRKKKKKKKRRRRRRAAAAAARRRR-"[/colour] was suddenly cut off and replaced with the sounds of[colour=#0000cd] *mmmph* *nom* *mmph* *snrmph* *rmf*[/colour] as she chewed on the sweet confectionary.

The sleeping pegasus rolled over again as the donut disappeared, rolling out of bed and falling to her hooves. Her eyes still not open, she stumbled forward towards the window, ran into the frame, and toppled tail over mane out of it to land on one of the rainbows curling around her home. She slid down the multicoloured slide to almost the same level as the mayor, landing on her hooves once more. She started off in the general direction as the mayor, ran face-first into a cloudbank, turned, took another few steps and walked face-first into a different cloudbank, reoriented herself, and made her slow, stumbling way down the front lane of her home, her eyes still not open.

Finally, she just about had reached the cliff face when she tripped and fell, landing just a foot or so short, into the cloudy path. She gathered up the clouds under her, hugging them to her chest to make herself comfy, and proceeded to start snoring again.

Small baby steps, little victories that you could use to build a great foundation from. Mayor Mare knew them well, had built a life out of orchestrating them and didn't fret when the path ahead swerved in an unusual directions. So it was with her as she watched the most famous pegasus in town and one of the finest in the land sleepwalk around her own house, cracking herself against cloud forms and rainbow roads and everything else she could before falling on top of a cloud and puffing the rest of it nearby under her like a gigantic snowball and promptly resuming the important task of sleeping. Her snoring was now public, a few early birds- literally in a few causes, figuratively in most- turning around and about to see the Mayor of their small town with a nearly empty box of doughnuts and the town's lead weather pony nearby snoring into a cloud. Typical Ponyville.

And typical Ponyville was right. She had places to go and things to do and now that Rainbow was nearby, her job was finally a little easier. She worked her way down closer to Rainbow Dash, making sure to keep her hoofing. A tumble down a cliff might get Dash's attention, but at her age a jaunt down to the bottom would do more harm than good. Besides, they wouldn't dye her mane at the hospital and that was simply a dreadful thing to consider. She worked her way closer, confident of herself as she was now less than fifteen feet from the sleeping snore monster. Maybe by slaying that beast the little kids would finally think she was hip and cool ad totally 'with it'. Probably not, so she'd annoy her awake. She grabbed a rock, judged the angle and distance, and launhed it at Rainbow Dash.

[colour=#cc00cc]"WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP RAINBOW DASH,"[/colour] she started up, throwing more rocks, [colour=#cc00cc]"WAKE UP WAKE UP WAKE UP RAINBOW DASH!"[/colour]

Rainbow Dash came awake quite suddenly as the first rock hit her, letting out a fierce *yelp* and rubbing at the bruise it left. Still sleepy, but with her heart suddenly racing, she dodged the next couple of rocks, a perplexed and angry look on her face.

[colour=#0000cd]"What the HEY!? What the?! Who the-?! Steaming piles of horse apples! Who throws *ROCKS*?! Mayor?! What the hay are you doing?"[/colour]

The Mayor sighed contendly as Rainbow Dash wpoke up in a tizzy, as she had imagines she would. Not exactly a morning pony, only made worse by the fact she had been pelted by rocks. But for all of that the Mayor was not a villain, not this day. No, she was a brilliant anti-hero dealing with a lazy but equally brilliant anti-hero who thought herself a hero but was simply too lazy to be anything more than she was. And what she was was the greatest pegasus in town, and the only pony the Mayor could turn to now.

[colour=#cc00cc]"I'm sorry, Rainbow Dash. Well, about the rocks at least. If it's any consolation, I threw doughnuts first. Speaking of, one left- all yours, if you want it,"[/colour] She opened up the box and waved it enticingly in front of the pegasus. Pastries and assorted deliciousness could bridge the gap between any ponies, especially ones from sugarcube corner. They could stop wars, the magical ponies of that little shop.

[colour=#cc00cc]"But if you'd rather get down to business, I have a good reason to get you up at such a terrible hour, Dash."[/colour]

• 3 weeks later...
Rainbow Dash stared in disbelief at the mayor, her jaw dropped, stunned beyond belief at the gray mare's words...

"A-buh ... gaaah... you ... dug down through the snow, then took the time to chip out rocks from the frozen ground... and under the snow ... so you could throw ROCKS at me?! WHO THROWS ROCKS?!" She stalked up and down, pausing every so often to gingerly raise a hoof to her twinging head. "Why didn't you just *call*!? Talking works pretty well, you know! Or perhaps, if you really had an urge to throw stuff, oh, I don't know ... snowballs! Snowballs are good." She grabbed the donut almost violently from the box and savagely took a large mouthful. "Mmmph. Rocks." she muttered darkly, glowering at the mayor.

The Mayor sighed once more, increasingly frustrated. Rude awakening or not, Rainbow Dash had at least slept the night previous. The Mayor hadn't and her mood was souring by the half-second as the impertinent pegasus continued complaining about how she had been awoken. Perhaps it had been rude but time was of the essence when it came to the weather and the Mayor didn't see much need to tarry any further. She was about to light into the pegasus, more due to her own bad attitude than anything else, when Dash took the doughnut begrudgingly. It'd have to do. The Mayor smiled after she sighed, letting the fuming mare stew in her juices like any good roast a few seconds longer before speaking.

"I am quite sorry Rainbow Dash but to be fair, I did try and yell first. And then I threw a doughnut after you threw snowballs at me, so 'twas just a natural progression. Entirely your fault, I believe," She coughed for effect and then hurried to begin the next sentence, "but I didn't wake you up simply to share with you such delicious, fresh goodies from Sugarcube Corner. This is a serious matter that I must speak with you regarding, and as one of Ponyville's greatest ponies it is something you are uniquely qualified to handle.

The shelter for the poor, needy, and unfortunate is running on empty. This is an error that I cannot, will not, stand for- somepony made what I assume to be an innocent clerical error, but now we face catastrophe. It is run down, has almost no food, nor warm clothes for it's occupants and portions of it are about to fail. I have spent the entirety of this early morning trotting about town to find solutions to the problems facing the ponies of out town. Rarity has generously offered to crate warm garments for the needy despite spending the whole of her night working on an important order. Applejack has offered up her personal family storage to the town, rendering her own family almost foodless for the coming weeks, which is another problem I'll be working to solve in the next few hours. Pinkie Pie has agreed to lift the spirits of the occupants with a party, which I'm sure comes as no surprise. All of this is well and good, but the end of winter is approaching and we both know how the weather gets before Winter Wrap Up in order to ensure winter is entirely spent, and the shelter is near collapse. All the food, warm garments, and good tidings will not help them should the weather batter them so, or worse bring the shelter down.

As Ponyville's elite weather control pegasus and one of the most respected ponies in all of the land, only you can prevent this. I realize this may make the schedule worse post-repair, but I ask- no, I BEG- that you find a way to give us clear skies for the next few days while the shelter is repaired. If you do this, then the poor and needy will not suffer and you will prove, once again, why you are the greatest pegasi in our fair town," The Mayor played her role well enough, laying it on a bit thick with the expectation of a relatively captive audience to her flattery. Of course, that was to butter up the fact that what she was asking could potentially thow the schedule into chaos, but it was an unenviable situation in any circumstance.

Rainbow Dash gaped helplessly at the mayor... half the donut laying forgotten in her hoof. She... she... buh... "You want us to *clear* it now?!" she cried in exasperation. "And this couldn't wait till morning?! I was up way past midnight helping get this snow storm set up in the first place, for the last several nights running!" She shoved the rest of the donut into her mouth and dropped her face into her hooves, groaning as she ground her hooves into her closed eyes. "NNNnnnngh... yeah yeah yeah... clear skies now... but I hope you don't expect it to happen immediately. I gotta let my team rest first, they were up all night, too... this isn't just changing a schedule, you have exhausted ponies trying to clear a storm, you could have deaths on your hooves... "

She let out another soft groan ... "OK, here's what ya gotta do. Till we can shift things around best we can, you're gonna need to get ponies up on those roofs to clear off the snow... that should take care of things all right, for now... " Her baggy, bloodshot eyes looked up at the mayor, then, and she gave a reassuring grin. "Right. Gotcha covered, Madame Mayor. That all? Can I go back to sleep?"

The Mayor couldn't help but breathe a sigh of relief as Rainbow Dash saw what needed to be done and agreed to do it, even if it frustrated her. She had been certain of the outcome as Rainbow Dash was nothing if not loyal, and that extended to the ponies of the town- or at least that was what the Mayor had counted on. And for all of her brash, unforgiving nature at times she was one of the town's most reliable and greatest ponies. Of course, the weather team had just finished setting up for a storm and they were at the end of their ropes. So had Rarity been, so was the Mayor, and it had just started. Sacrifices needed to be made but that didn't mean she would be callous and demanding about it.

"That will be fine, Rainbow Dash. I would prefer it if we could get it done quick enough to forestall any stormy weather tonight, but I do have a plan in place should tonight's storm be required to continue. I already have plans in place to clear the roof-" a lie, but she was getting to that later anyway even if she had to do it herself, "-so you and your team do not need to get to right at this second. I just realize how difficult it is considering how hard you and your team have worked," She smiled, "you know best when it comes to the weather systems, so I won't rob you of sleep any longer. Thank you and Sleep well, Rainbow Dash," The Mayor finished, bowing to Dash's superior knowledge of his weather team and the weather. She could now rest, but the Mayor still had many stops to make.

• 2 weeks later...

Dash nodded, and gave a wave of her hoof, and floated off with her wings slowly, sluggishly beating to keep her - barely - in the air., floating over her front ... 'lawn'?

Erg... if the storm had to be delayed... diverted, more ... which surrounding areas could handle all that snow without getting overwhelmed and running into their own problems with collapsing buildlings? ugh. This was not something to wake her up for. All that math to do now ...

She paused by the new hole in the side of her house, created by her emergency sleep-snowball creation. She glowered at the hole, saw her bed on the other side... then just floated on through the hole, reaching out to grab the side of the hole and slam it shut with a puff of mist that swiftly faded. It wasn't ten seconds before loud snoring rocked the cloud house again.

The Mayor had succeeded rather well so far, above and beyond her expectations if not her dream. Point by point she had met the challenges by using the greatest resource available to her, and the ponies of her town had come through. The less fortunate would not be clothed were it not for Miss rarity's overwhelming generosity and care for her fellow ponies. Applejack would not let anypony starve under her watch, and under her guidance the Mayor knew that food problems were in the past for the shelter and that as an issue it could be crossed off. Pinkie Pie was unique and gifted and the only pony that the Mayor could fathom doing what she dd, and the entertainment and morale of the ponies was well in hoof. And thanks to Rainbow Dash, the poor weather was going to be dented in it's approach to the town long enpough for her too solve one of the few crisis' that remained, and despite her progress towards victory a few did remain rather troublesome.

First, she had to get a team to clear the roof. She had lied and told Rainbow Dash she had it all ready to go, but she had little doubt she'd find trouble there. She knew a dozen stallions off of the top of her head who would d it, and a few mares to boot. Heck, even fillies and colts could be used as long as they were supervised. The second issue that remained was of slightly more worrying stature. Portions of the facility were close to collapse and if it did, every other problem that was solved was rendered moot. She had somepony in mind, quick on his hooves with a strong back and sharp mind. He would also need help and some funds but she could provide both with relative ease, getting him going would be the important part. That left the last problem, and one of the least important- at least on the face. While Pinkie Pie would show the less fortunate the time of their lives, it would be a one-off experience. Grand and incredible, but the Mayor needed to find an experience for the ponies that would last longer and be deeper. She had the pony in mind.

The trot across town wasn't getting any easier, her old bones and muscles sagging under the near constant strain the morning had placed upon her. Even as a younger mare she was no spring chicken and as an older mare she was starting to get more and more comfortable with silken sheets and warm blankets. But how many ponies would still feel a spring in their step after four and a half hours of near constant running about in weather that had only recently stopped being a blizzardy mess? Not many and she most of all didn't really prepare for it. But still she made her way through town which was just starting to wake up from the early morning doldrums, businesses kicking off and ponies going about their daily routine. The Mayor slinked past, waving and shaking hooves occasionally but moving all the while towards the edge of town.

It wasn't long before she found her target, Fluttershy's house. It was unassuming, out of the way, and a beacon in the rising sun to the weakening Mayor. After a few rather pitiful steps in front, she knocked lightly but quickly on the mare's door.

Fluttershy lay near the fireplace in her cottage, one ear listening for the whistle of her tea kettle. She had just finished her morning feeding, and she was surrounded by many of her animal friends. She'd invited many of the non-hibernating creatures to stay the night, knowing that there was a snow fall scheduled. With the weather, she was planning to stay inside for the day with some tea and a novel that Rarity had recommended.

Fluttershy blushed a little, admiring the handsome stallion on the cover of the book. She was about to get started reading when she heard a faint tapping at her door. Odd, she didn't think anypony or any creature would be out and about this early in the morning, especially in the cold weather... She quickly grabbed her housecoat before heading to the door.

The pegasus opened the door a crack and peered out. She recognized the older mare, of course. Her animal shelter received some support from the town, so she had met with the Mayor before. "M-miss Mayor?" she said, opening the door wider. "What brings out here so earl..." Fluttershy stopped, taking in the condition of the Mayor. The mare looked terrible, and seemed to be sagging before Fluttershy's widening eyes. "Oh my goodness!" Fluttershy cried out. "Miss Mayor, are you all right? Quickly, come inside!" she said ushering the grey-maned pony through the door.

Closing the door tightly, Fluttershy called out "Angel Bunny! Fetch a blanket for the Mayor!" The bunny looked up at his name, a scowl on his face, but seeing Fluttershy's expression, he darted off to do as the pony had asked. Fluttershy guided her charge to a chair in front of the fire. "Now, sit down, Miss Mayor, I'll get you something to help you warm up!" she instructed, before zipping off to the stove to make a cup of hot tea. When she returned with the cup, Angel had dragged a blanket into the room. Fluttershy tucked the blanket around the other pony, and put the hot cup between her hooves.

Fluttershy stepped back, allowing the Mayor to get herself warmed up. "Miss Mayor," she asked, concerned, "How long have you been outside today? It's freezing out there!"

The Mayor didn't normally allow herself to be led around like she was a little filly in need of mother's aide as they traveled across the nation. She was as strong as her age and lifestyle allowed and had a certain degree of independence, a streak of spiked individuality that the elderly seemed to hold that the younger generation lacked. Or so she told herself over a hot cup of coffee, which she would kill for so early in the morning. But she felt so poor and so run down that she allowed Fluttershy the renown caretaker, animal or not did not matter, to more or less 'guide' her in. Guide may have been a bit of a de-exaggeration- she allowed Fluttershy to lead her as the Mayor felt the work of the morning start to pile on top of her near frozen shoulders.

"I'm f-fine, Fluttershy. Just a bit of a cold, I think. ACHOO!" The Mayor sneezed, her glasses rocked almost off of her snout. She pushed them back up, covering her mouth as she coughed.

In a flash the Mayor found herself under the care of Fluttershy, a hot cup of tea in her hooves before she could even dare to ask for it. A blanket was retrieved by one of her animals, the lot of which crowded around the scene with equal parts concern and curiosity. Good, no hungry faces- the last thing the she wanted to witness was an early morning feeding that had the Mayor as the Pièce de résistance. The blanket soon snuggled held her tight against the inviting folds of the chair which seemed to sink her a few inches deeper into it's smothering kindness. Even though it was simply the placebo effect, the mayor felt better within moments of this treatment. It would fade just as quickly as it came however, and the Mayor had no intention of wasting Fluttershy's kindness with her illness. She had a mission and nopony could help the Mayor more than Fluttershy. As soon as Fluttershy spoke, the Mayor opened.

"Sorry for giving you some fright this morning, dear. I've been up for several hours, since two or three I believe, trotting about town, trying to solve a serious issue facing this town," She sneezed, sending some tea spraying mid sip all on herself. Without hesitation two hummingbirds tore a napkin and started to go about cleaning her up. It was weird, if not unpleasant or unwelcome. The Mayor allowed the two to finish and they dumped the used napkin in a recycling basket. All she could was weakly giggle.

"My my Fluttershy, you do seem to have many creatures in today. Is this your normal in-door crowd or do you have some invited guests?"

• 3 weeks later...
The Mayor definitely seemed to be coming down with something, judging by her sneezes and coughs. While being out in the elements like the Mayor had been couldn't really give anypony a cold, it could certainly speed up the illness, or make it worse. Fluttershy debated getting a thermometer, but that really ought to wait until the Mayor had at least finished her tea.

At the Mayor's question, Fluttershy smiled at the animals that crowded the room. "Oh, I have some extra friends staying with me today," she explained. "Normally, I'd only have this many animals around at mealtimes. It's just so cold outside today, I couldn't leave anyone outside! Plus, since there's so much snow scheduled today, some of my friends could just get buried!"

Deciding against the thermometer, Fluttershy instead pressed her pastern against the Mayor's forehead, feeling a bit of a fever from the older mare. "Hmm, I'm afraid you may be getting sick, Miss Mayor," Fluttershy told her. "What was the issue that got you up so early this morning??"

The Mayor admired Fluttershy's commitment to her animal friends. It wasn't the biggest cottage in the best of times and it was downright small when the whole place seemed overbooked with animals, wild and otherwise. The Mayor couldn't do it, she knew that much. So much as a single uninvited spider in her room was enough to qualify as a town emergency, and the thought of so many animals so close together drew red flags in the experienced administrator's mind. That usually meant trouble but for Ponyville, they had the single greatest animal lover and wrangler in history residing in a little cottage over the creek. It was a warm thought, almost as warm as the tea she finished as Fluttershy fretted over her. She truly was quite kind, and that kindness would find a new way to shine every soon for those who needed it most if everything went to plan.

The Mayor gave a soft chuckle, ending with a hacking cough as she waved the pegasus kindly off.

"I'm fine- well, no, you're right. I'm probably ill with something but my dear mare, Ponyville has an excellent hospital and what I need to talk to you about supersedes my silly little illness. I at least have everything I need to get better," She smiled, "including your sweetness and care, thank you. But there are those who are much less fortunate who are in dire straights. I received a report a few hours ago that due to a paperwork error, the ponies that use the local shelter for the needy and less fortunate are in dire straights. They are running out of clothes- I spoke to Rarity about that first. They are almost out of food- I spoke to Applejack about that as well. They are down in the dumps for obvious reasons- Pinkie Pie is on it. The shelter is falling apart and the poor weather will put them in danger- I just came from speaking with Rainbow Dash, so that's solved. I still have some stops to make to discuss repairing the shelter, but I need your help.

While Pinkie Pie is hosting a party for them, we all know one of the most uplifting experiences for ponies in need is a new companionship. You have many fine animals that want to be pets, yes? Well, I'm sure you will find willing families if you host a special day for them. I can waive the city's taxes on adoptions during the trop if it'll help you and the less fortunate."

• 2 weeks later...
Fluttershy felt herself frown a little as the Mayor dismissed her obvious illness. She couldn't tell the older mare what to do, but Fluttershy felt the need to advise the Mayor, firmly, that she needed to go home and rest. However, as the Mayor continued, Fluttershy became increasing concerned with the situation at the shelter. Each time the Mayor described one of the problems there, it felt like a hammer-blow to her chest. The pegasus' eyes filled with tears. "Oh! That's terrible!!" she cried out.

Fluttershy was comforted that her friends were helping out, but still, she felt like she was somehow responsible. Was there something she could have done to prevent this? "W-what do you need from me, Miss, Mayor? I'll do anything I can!" she cried out.

"While Pinkie Pie is hosting a party for them, we all know one of the most uplifting experiences for ponies in need is a new companionship. You have many fine animals that want to be pets, yes? Well, I'm sure you will find willing families if you host a special day for them. I can waive the city's taxes on adoptions during the trop if it'll help you and the less fortunate."

Fluttershy felt her resolve firm at the Mayor's request. This was definitely something she could do. It was almost too little, even. "Oh, certainly, Miss Mayor!" she said, confidently. "But are you sure there's nothing else you need? Food? Blankets? Pillows??" Without waiting for a response, the pegasus turned to the white bunny, who for once looked ready to help. "Angel, I need you to gather up all the spare blankets, I'll get the animals ready, and then go get what I can out of the pantry! This is an emergency!"

Archived