The Doors Are Always Open (Open; Ponyville)

SteelEagle

mayormarerevectorizedby.png

OOC- Please read the OOC thread here for rules.

Mayor Mare took a deep gulp of her morning brew, trying to kickstart her sluggish brain with little luck. The day was fairly clear, only a few appointments were made which meant her schedule was open for walk-ins. Eventually she'd take a break and wander the town but that was far off. No, the firs few hours of her day was filled with paperwork, open times, and meetings. It was going to be a great day and it started with a whimper, some lackluster morning brew not doing her any favors. She wondered if she could fire anypony or if a quick jaunt out to the market to find a more agreeable blend was in order. Neither option was off the table as she downed the rest of the mournful brew. Better times were to follow.

She checked the clock on the wall- 8:00 AM. Not a minute late, either. She trotted to the door of her office and opened it to her attendants outside.
[colour=#ff3399]"You may open the office now," [/colour]She stated plainly and yawned, a stack of papers being telekentically transported past her and into the office. Nothing absolutely vital was on the paperwork schedule, but then again, the most mundane of things could become the most pressing of issues if left unresolved. They fell on her table with a thud and she nodded her thanks to her assistant before closing the door and starting to go through the day's minituia.

But if you would indulge her, the mayor will see you now.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

24e6csw.jpg

They were an odd bunch.

The leader of the pack was a young filly with wild curly red hair and big purple glasses. She adjusted her glasses and sneezed, continuing to trot cheerfully down the hall. She was off to talk to the mayor! It made her feel so important and so old! She stood tall, leading the others behind her with a stride that was meant to be official. It came across simply adorable. Peppermint Twist was off to make Ponyville History.

Behind her was an old gray mule who yawned as he walked. His creaky joints were bothering him immensely and his tail twitched in irritation. He had met this young filly early on during his days in Ponyville, and he quite liked her dedicated spirit. Cranky was well respected, a senior citizen, and would make the mare listen if she didn't like what Twist had to say.

Lastly, Split Pins was dragging behind them. Despite it being an important date, he'd slept in. Oh well. He hadn't dressed up to see the mayor either, he hadn't combed his hair or beard or anything. He'd just thrown on a shawl and tumbled into the mare's office.

[colour=#ff0000]"Mith mare? We'd like to thpeak to you!"[/colour]

Twist called, entering the office. She was followed by her companions, and they looked like three Ponyville misfits, three equine that you would never see together. But they had a purpose, yes. They wanted to start a Ponyville Bowling Team and compete in an Equestrian competition.

Mayor Mare smiled as she saw a trio of what could adequately be described as misfits enter her office. It was a mite unusual to see a stalliop, a filly entirely unrelated to the stallion, and a donkey enter her office together. Heck, it would have been unusual for some of their type to enter her office individually. At least the first order of business for her day wouldn't be so predictable, she supposed. On the other hand, while she was open-minded and willing to help with just about anything, she hoped whatever was on their minds wasn't entirely too silly. After all, she preferred that her little ponies solve most matters on their own and came to her only when the office of the Mayor was required for whatever cause.

Despite that small worry, the smile that exploded on her face was genuine, as the filly was adorable and she had every desire to see yet another problem solved. It sure beat sitting there staring at a progress report on fundraising that was already breaking all of it's set goals into tiny little pieces, yet still required her to go over the tiny details to ensure fraud wasn't a part of the operations.

[colour=#ff33cc]"Well, take a seat you three and tell me how I may serve you today,"[/colour] She said, beckoning to the chairs splayed out in front of her, "and if you'd like something to drink, we have rather average coffee..." then she remembered there was a filly present and a filly hopped up on coffee was a hard thing to deal with early in the morning, [colour=#ff33cc]"and some delicious milk, too."[/colour]

24e6csw.jpg

Twist, Cranky, and Split Pins all looked at one another individually, not sure who wanted to explain why they were there first. Twist felt insecure, her lisp always seeming to make her words sound funny. Cranky knew that Twist was very inspired and assumed she would say things first. Split Pins didn't care, but he didn't want to make an effort by speaking first. They took a seat when directed, and were offered drinks. Split piped up a little bit. Yes! Free food!

[colour=#008080]"I'll have some of that milk, please, coffee upsets my stomach," [/colour]Split said, realizing he hadn't grabbed breakfast that morning.

[colour=#696969]"I'll have some coffee, please Mayor," [/colour]grumbled Cranky, happy to finally be offered some caffeiene. He was so tired, he hadn't been up this early in a while. His bones were old and creaky, he couldn't run on nothing.

[colour=#ff0000]"I'll have some coffee too!"[/colour] Twist chirped, trying to look impressive and official. She had never had coffee before, but all the adults drank it. Maybe it was tasty. As a lover of food and confectionary, Twist figured she ought to try all the flavours available. The three ponies looked at one another again, awkwardly. Twist, feeling a bit more confident, decided to speak up.

[colour=#ff0000]"Mitheth Mayor, we're here today to inform you of thith bowling competition that's happening thoon. Almost every city and town in Equethtria hath a team, but Ponyville hath alwayth been left out of the rothter. We haven't got a bowling team, you thee, and I think we could win for thith town! Cranky, Thplit and I all like bowling and I think if we had the thupport of the mare we could compile a bigger team. We have our own alley, after all, and ponieth go all the time."[/colour]

Twist tried to use as many big words as possible. Inform, roster, compile. Maybe the mayor would be impressed with her vocabulary if nothing else.

Mayor Mare didn't really know the one with excellent snout-based hair features, but good drink was way to pierce the veil of any mystery an it didn't take long for him to make his request known. She hadn't expected him to pipe up first, nor ask for milk, but she supposed somepony had to save her the coffee. It would be a hard day otherwise.

[colour=#cc0099]"Of course,"[/colour] She said as she got up, just as Cranky spoke up. Made sense- he seemed the type who'd need a constant stream of stimulants to be anything other than near immobile, just like her last coltfriend. Celestia above, her choices in stallions weren't exemplary, unlike her governance. In her mind anyway. She nodded at Cranky as she started pouring milk for Split Pins as well as some for the coffee. Then the little one asked for coffee and she stopped for a moment before putting some milk in a third cup. She had offered, after all.

[colour=#cc0099]"Well, such a choice for a little filly!"[/colour] She giggled as she started making three cups of coffee- average or not, she was going to have it. It wasn't wise, but then again, it wasn't her filly. Her parents should have been here if they didn't trust her and as Mayor Mare listened to her speak, she felt that the filly wouldn't be a problem. She was trying to be a bit too impressive and it came across as such, but the effort was honest. She finished the drinks and handed them out, Split Pins, Cranky, and then Mayor Mare circled back around to her seat before hoofing over a cup to Twist as she sipped her own.

[colour=#cc0099]'Ahhh, average..." [/colour]She said with a smile, eyeing them up. Their request was simple, and in all honesty she didn't know why they need Mayoral aide. They could print up flyers and build a team, but the bowling association likely needed some sort of official recognition. She should know; her last coltfriend had been a bowler. Celestia above, her choices in stallions weren't exemplary, unlike her governance.

[colour=#cc0099]"Well, a very interesting proposal you have there little Twist, and quite well spoken!"[/colour] She winked and chuckled, before taking another sip of the average brew,[colour=#cc0099] "and one I see no problem with,"[/colour] She finished with a smile. Truth be told, the town ran a pretty nice surplus when it came to event budgets. Most events were organized without the town's funding needing to be leveraged. It may have been unwise to spend it on silly endeavors, but those were the only endeavors that came to her.

[colour=#cc0099]"I'll give you ten bits to make some flyers. Tell them Mayor Mare sent you and you'll get a nice discount. If you three organize a team, I'll sign any paperwork needed to get Ponyville into the competition and I'll budget some uniforms and equipment. However, if the city is involved in anything that turns the profit, I need to make sure the city receives a percentage. For something like this...twenty percent would be ideal-" [/colour]truth was she should have said eighty percent but who cares if this silly group made some money while they had fun, [colour=#cc0099]"and with that, just direct the bowling competition's paperwork here. Here's your bits-" [/colour]she dug into her own bit purse under her desk, hoofing over ten bits, [colour=#cc0099]"and good luck, my little ponies! Who do you have in mind to join your team?"[/colour]

Morning gets up early to go to work, he stretches and yawns. Morning eats some breakfast, starts to stretch for what he's about to do, and gets some water into his system. Morning grabs his work clothes and hastily puts them on. He opens the door in front of him and starts to gallop down the road, halfway down the road he jumps into the air taking off. He stops by Cloudsdale and grabs some packages and letters, his last stop for grabbing packages and letters is in Ponyville. Morning flies back down into Ponyville, he gently lands on the ground feeling the adjustments. Morning walks over to the Post Office and walks inside, he see's some other ponies there, like Derpy, but he just grabs his usual packages and letters. One strange letter goes to Mayor Mare, is it not simple to deliver the letter by hoof? Morning shrugs and just gets on with life. He opens the door and walks outside. Morning checks most of the letters and packages, " Lets see here...Now, now, now. It seems that i would go with the farthest ones." Morning gallops down the road and jumps into the air triggering flight. He flies to Canterlot and stops by a small house. Morning puts the letter and package in the mailbox and moves along. He gallops, jumps and returns to flight. Morning delivers the large bunch of letters and packages, the last one goes to Mayor Mare. He decides to give it to her, but before he does that he checks the clock, 8:10. Morning smiles, " Not bad MorningDawn, you just beat one of your records." Morning smirks and walks over to the Mayor's. He opens the door, and he is instructed to wait, for there is already a pony talking to Mayor Mare. Morning decides to relax, so he lies down on the soft long chair which is now a bed.

[colour=#000000]

S02E16_UUS1.pngDr Stable[/colour]

[colour=#000000]

150px-Too_smelly.pngPigpen[/colour]

[colour=#000000]

SilverStar.PNGSheriff Silverstar[/colour]

[colour=#000000]Three stallions walked over towards the Mayor's Office: Dr. Stable, Pigpen and Sheriff Silverstar, who was visiting from out of town.[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"I'm telling you gentlestallions, I'm right about this!" [/colour]Dr. Stable insisted.

[colour=#0000FF]"And I say you're wrong, doc!" [/colour]Pigpen answered back.

[colour=#8B4513]"That's why we're goin' to the Mayor's office to git this settled once and fer all!" [/colour]the mustached lawpony neighed. [colour=#8B4513]"Like we say back home in Appleoosa, if'n ya don't know the answer to a question, ya find out."[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"Good idea, Sheriff! Because once we have our audience with the Mayor, then we'll all know I'm right about this!"[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]"No you're not, doc! I'm right!" [/colour]

[colour=#8B4513]"Now don't y'all git into a frecus out here in the street! Best ta let the Mayor decide this!" [/colour]

When the trio of stallions enter the Mayor's office building, they can see there's several ponies in front of them. Each of the ponies quietly take a seat to wait for their opportunity to approach her.

• 2 weeks later...

24e6csw.jpg

Twist, Cranky, and Splitty all exchanged glances, smirking knowingly. Twist was still a bit nervous, but she was pleased to have impressed the mayor. Cranky just wanted to be done in the office, and Split couldn't care less about talking to the mayor any longer. Twist spoke up.

[colour=#ff0000]"Well you thee, Mith Mare, we were hoping that maybe you could join our bowling team," [/colour]Twist said, looking for confirmation from her comrades.

[colour=#008080]"It's a great activity for us senior citizens. I mean, I'm not saying you are or anything, I'm just saying that I, a senior citizen, like it." [/colour]Cranky said, stumbling a little.

[colour=#696969]"It's cool, man, bowling is all...you know, cool and whatnot."[/colour] Split added, stumbling worse than Cranky. Twist's smile became a little forced.

As solid as their presentation had been, their pitch to get her out to the lanes was awful. The only one who hadn't made the Mayor groan internally was the filly, and it was only through practice with a thousand disappointments provided by running a town that she didn't break her jovial exterior or betray any negative though. Cranky had tried to cover himself well, but he did more damage by doing so than his initial words did, and Split Pins had basically moved the ball not an inch. Still though, she liked balling, even if not enough to immediately join their team.

[colour=#cc0099]"Well, I'll have to check my schedule on that. A rain check, perhaps?" [/colour]She smiled, getting up out of her chair and walking towards the door,[colour=#cc0099] "I enjoy bowling quite a bit, actually. Did you know I was Northlands Regional runner-up in Beakbreak twenty years ago? But it may not be possible with my-"[/colour] just as she was about to finish, the trio of loud and vexing stallions entered. Hairs on her coat raised, the Mayor still didn't change her expression.

[colour=#cc0099]"Well, I suppose other business must be attended to, I thank you for visiting me, especially with such a unique proposal!" [/colour]She finished, opening the door and taking a look out. She knew two of the three who were staring at one another, but ahead of them was Morning Dawn, relaxing on a bed.

[colour=#cc0099]"The Mayor will see you now," [/colour]She said gently, retreating back into her office and taking her seat as she waited for Morning Dawn.

"[colour=#ff8c00] Morning....[/colour]" Morning got up and stretched a bit, " [colour=#ff8c00]this'll be quick...just a letter that needs to be delivered...[/colour]" Morning walks into Mayor Mare's office and takes out the envelope, he placed it on the table, " [colour=#ff8c00]Look I don't really understand it either, i get the job done..."[/colour] Morning leaves her office expecting to be of no more use since he just delivered the piece of paper, nothing more than just a deliverer. But at the bottom of his gut, he knew something was up. He tried getting a peek at the address, but couldn't see much legible writing. As if the pony never went to school. What Morning didn't know about that envelope, was the fact that he was involved in this. On the envelop, on the letter reads a state of address, a pony's moving into town. And that pony was Morning's big sister. Morning continued walking until he reached the door.

As Sherrif Silverstar, Dr. Stable and Pigpen continued to sit in the Mayor's office, the pungent odor of the unkempt, dirty brown Earth Pony began to quickly fill the room.

[colour=#FF0000]"EGAD!" [/colour]Dr. Stable neighed, [colour=#FF0000]"would somepony kindly open a window? The air in here is becoming quite foul!"[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]"I don't notice anything, doc," [/colour]Pigpen answered with his trademark grin.

[colour=#FF0000]"Yes, you wouldn't notice, would you."[/colour]

[colour=#8B4513]"I'll git the winder, I'm closest to it!" [/colour]the mustached lawpony said as he quickly pushed the window open, when he did, several of Pigpen's fly friends flew in and began circling his head.

[colour=#0000FF]"Hi guys! Missed ya!" [/colour]the shaggy stallion neighed.

[colour=#FF0000]"Oh, wonderful Mr. Pigpen. When our Mayor sees your, less than neat appearance and those, er, pets of yours, I am sure to win my argument!"[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]"No you won't, because I'm right!"[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"No, I am!"[/colour]

[colour=#8B4513]"Simmer down you two yahoos!" [/colour]Sheriff Silverstar snorted. [colour=#8B4513]"We ain't gonna settle this till we git in ta see the Mayor, so till then, shut yur yaps! Both of ya!"[/colour]

24e6csw.jpg

[colour=#ff0000]"Rain check?" [/colour]Twist asked Cranky, not knowing what the expression meant. Either way, she was ecstatic. Ponyville had just assembled it's first bowling team! She couldn't wait to get out on the lanes and try her best at it. Even though her depth perception wasn't fantastic, Twist had already proven a bit of talent while at the alley.

[colour=#696969]"It means no, basically, but whatever, man." [/colour]Split explained to Twist, not really minding that the mare and pretty much said no to their proposal. Maybe she'd come around later, Split simply liked to go with the flow.

[colour=#008080]"Who knows,"[/colour] Cranky muttered, slightly irritable but still pleased that the mayor had given them bits for flyers and official support of the team. They certainly were going to need it if a bowling team were to assemble correctly. However, that was a job for later. Cranky intended to take the two youngins out for some ice cream.

[exit]

The pegasus who entered was a bit off-kilter, probably not of the area(she certainly didn't know him) and unsure as to what his role was supposed to be, but he did what he had to do regardless. She took the letter in unofficial yet urgent letterhhead, written with energy and excitement and apparently little scholastic touch or proper form. Not a big deal to the Mayor, of course- the number of farmers in the area who had difficulty with proper paperwork was a bit stunning, all things considered.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Well, thank you very much, mister...?"[/colour] The Mayor offered pleasantly as she around her desk, opening the letter as she went with a determined two legged bounce before resting against the wall. The letter was ripped open, revealing an even more ill-put together occupation letter. They were commonly sent to her. Supposed to be a law that they must be, but it was so rarely an issue that as a law it was never enforced. A simple letter stating that a pony or ponies were moving into town within the week, and needed to set up an appointment with the Mayor for information regarding the town.

Rental agreements, open land and their values, where to look for support and available job openings, the Mayor's office could hook a new townspony with a place to live, a job, an education, and just about anything else one needed in a matter of an hour or less. It was a fine system that Mayor Mare was happy to lead, and happier was she when the smiles of her fellow townsponies were returned with all the vigor of a new life begun. And today, it looked like they could welcome somepony else into

the fold.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Ah, how wonderful. Iris is moving to town? Sounds like a wonderful new addition to Ponyville!"[/colour] The mayor exclaimed proudly, putting the letter into her Appointments Needed folder.

Morning walked outside and past multiple ponies. He walked back outside and over to his house, where his little sister was. Morning opened the door and was greeted by his little sister, " [colour=#a52a2a]Morning, Morning! You're here! You're here![/colour]" Jesse hugged Morning.

Morning smiled, " [colour=#ffa500]Of course I am, did you think i would be late?[/colour]" Morning put her down and started to make her some dinner. He let her play outside until dinner.

Iris strolled into Ponyville, thinking, "[colour=#696969]This place is great![/colour]" Immediately she was greeted by Pinkie Pie. Iris smiled and after the little encounter was over, she needed to see the mayor. Iris was thinking of either buying land, or just living with his little brother and sister. Iris should live with MorningDawn until she has enough money to get her own house, she still needs to see the mayor, though. Iris walks into Mayor's and waits her turn like every other pony.

Meanwhile, Dr. Stable, Pigpen and Sheriff Silverstar sat in the lobby patiently waiting for their turn to go into the Mayor's office. Thanks to the open window, most of the unkempt stallion with the trash can cutie mark's odor had left the room, but not all of it. The unicorn physician watched nervously as Pigpen's pet flies began buzzing all around the room. When he levitated a flyswatter up in the air, Pigpen tackled him to the floor.

[colour=#0000FF]"Leave my pals alone, horn head!" [/colour]Pigpen shouted.

[colour=#FF0000]"They are a flying menace, just like YOU are a land menace!" [/colour]Dr Stable neighed as he levitated the shaggy stallion into the air.

[colour=#8B4513]"Stop it, fellers!" [/colour]the mustached lawpony yelled. [colour=#8B4513]"if'n y'all keep actin' like that, the Mayor's gonna toss us out on our keisters!"[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"You are right of course, Sheriff," [/colour]Dr. Stable said as he lowered Pigpen gently back on his four legs. [colour=#FF0000]"I do apologize for my rash behavior."[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]"If you have a rash, write a prescription for some rash creme!" [/colour]Pigpen laughed.

[colour=#FF0000]"Your jokes are as rancid as your smell..."[/colour]

The Mayor took a deep breath as she composed herself for the ruckus outside her door. She was pretty good at helping situations stop devolving into pure anarchy, but truth be told it was too darn early and the fight seemed so entirely silly from what she overheard that she didn't really have the desire to deal with. Little patience meant her demeanor would be a bit sterner, though fairness and justice was ingrained too deeply in her to do anything that wouldn't pass her integrity test any day of the week. After a few more moments, she opened the door.

She knew three of them off-hoof. Dr. Stable was the lead physician at the hospital, and one of the very best she had ever dealt with. He had always struck her as fair and the fact he was involved seemed odd. Pigpen wouldn't win any awards at anything at anytime anywhere, but he was a sweet enough stallion and the fact trouble followed him as closely as his flies was a sad state. Mostly she beliebed it was other ponies drawing the wrong conclusion, but the frequency of that made her doubt that. Sherriff Silverstar she knew less well, but had several run ins with him during various functions between the two towns due to their close ties. Yet again, he seemed like a stand-up stallion and here he seemed to be playing peacemaker. She was starting to fear that of the three, the one most likely to cause trouble of this level was Pigpen, which was a sad likelihood. There was a fourth pony, an unfamiliar one. She nodded towards her but she would have to wait a little bit.

[colour=#cc00cc]"The Mayor will see you three now,"[/colour] Mayor Mare said sternly, but with a genial smile on her face,[colour=#cc00cc] "but I will have to demand that you cease making such a racket,"[/colour] she added as she entered her office and sat down, waiting for her guests to make their way in. She waved them to their seats.

[colour=#cc00cc]"So, what has the three of you arguing up a storm and causing a racket that requires the Mayor at this time of the morning?"[/colour]

Hearing the Mayor calling them into her office, Dr. Stable, Pigpen and Sheriff Silverstar entered and took their seats in front of the Mayor's desk.

[colour=#8B4513]"Reckon I best be the one who tells ya the story, ma'am, since these two's feudin' like the Hatfoals and McColts," [/colour]the mustached lawpony began to explain. [colour=#8B4513]"I had jist stepped off'n the train here in Ponyville when I came across the Doctor and Pigpen arguin' somethin' fierce. Seems the good Doctor thinks Pigpen orta be declared a public health hazard'n be forced ya bathe."[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"I implore you, good Mayor Mare, simply sniff the air around him and you'll agree with me!" [/colour]Doctor Stable neighed.

[colour=#0000FF]"But I've broken no law currently on the books in Ponyville or Equestria for that matter," [/colour]Pigpen declared. [colour=#0000FF]"I work hard everyday to keep the city cleared of trash and sometimes I have to get dirty in my line of work.."[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"Dirty? DIRTY! You take getting dirty to a whole new level! Given the choice between spending the day with a skunk and a few hours with YOU, Mr. Pigpen, I'd have to flip a coin!"[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]"Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never harm me, Doc! I know my rights and I know the Mayor will argee with me!"[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"She'll agree with ME, stinky! Give the word, Miss Mayor, and I'll have this wretched creature hosed down and cleaned with soap!"[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]"SOAP!" [/colour]Pigpen shouted as he quaked with fear, [colour=#0000FF]"how DARE you use such four-letter words like that on me! Such language!"[/colour]

[colour=#8B4513]"See what I mean, Miss Mayor," [/colour]Sheriff Silverstar said as he quickly placed himself between them. [colour=#8B4513]"I figgered the best thing ta do was ta bring'm here and let YOU decide this once and fer all!"[/colour]

Mayor Mare facehooved halfway through the discussion, already feeling as though she was dealing with an issue far below her station. Really, pony hygiene was a topic for her to take an official position in? And coming from two ponies of such different stations in life it seemed an unusual debate all the way around. And why was Silverstar here? There were questions she had beyond the ones she'd be answering here, and whether they liked them or not, they took precedence But if she had learned anything, answering their silliness evenly before continuing with her line of thought was vital. When they finished, she looked up at the collection with a smile.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Well, it seems both of you take this issue very seriously and I appreciate that you value my opinion enough to bring this to me. Truth be told, I can see both points of view, but the official position of the office of the mayor has to be simply..."[/colour] She laughed and shrugged, [colour=#cc00cc]"Pigpen's hygiene does not represent a public heath threat, which you of all ponies should know, Dr. Stable. In order for him to qualify, I'd need proof from the hospital that illnesses or threats of illness can be linked to Pigpen. Then I'd need to approve the order, and fact is that while there are problems, he doesn't present a threat,"[/colour] She said confidently before lowering her glasses at Stable, [colour=#cc00cc]"we deal with horseflies all the time, and Pigpen's flies are even less of a nuisance than they. It is Pigpen's personal right to practice poor hygiene and as long as it does not harm others, I cannot and will not declare him a public health threat,"[/colour] She held her hoof up to silence any claim of victory from Pigpen.

[colour=#cc00cc]"That having been said...on a personal, pony to pony level, it IS a problem, Pigpen. I am sure Dr. Stable can tell you all of the health risks that they pose to yourself over th long term and on a more shallow level, it's hard to be in the same area as you. My nose stopped working about a minute ago. I am sure there is a way to improve your hygeine while keeping your fly friends happy, yes?"[/colour] She offered positively, smiling for a moment before taking a sip of water and taking a gander at Silverstar.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Now that we have that solved, I have to ask why you are here. Not that I mind, Sherrif, but it's a long way from Appleloosa!"[/colour]

[colour=#0000FF]"Ah, HA! I was right!" [/colour]Pigpen cheered as the delighted shaggy stallion shook the Mayor's hoof. [colour=#0000FF]"Thank you so much for your wisdom, Mayor Mare, and may I say you toss out some of the finest garbage in the entire city! I've even build a small fort in the back of my junkyard out of all the empty mane dye bottles you've thrown out over the years!"[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"My dear smelly fellow, I was right that you are a hazard to your own health!" [/colour]Dr. Stable announced, [colour=#FF0000]"And as our fine Mayor has directed me, I wlll lecture you on the medical advantages of, personal hygenie and cleanliness."[/colour]

The flies circling Pigpen's head started to buzz angerly and fly loops around the physician unicorns head instead.

[colour=#0000FF]"Looks like my flies friends don't like your attitude, Doc!"[/colour]

[colour=#FF0000]"Shoo! Get away from me you crazy flies!"[/colour]

[colour=#8B4513]"Ta answer yur question, Mayor Mare, I decided to take me a vacation in duh East," [/colour]Sheriff Silverstar said, [colour=#8B4513]"Been kinda borin' in town since Miss LaMare went on her tour ta promote her latest novel. I think she's supposed ta come ta Ponyville, have ya seen her?"[/colour]

v3gfue.jpg

Filthy Rich wished he could claim that he was visiting Mayor Mare under happier circumstances. Most of the time, happy meetings were indeed the norm for the two. Mr. Rich made every effort he could to keep tabs on the machinations of city government, plus he counted the Mayor as a wise leader and a good friend; so much so in fact that the stallion in election after election willfully served as Mayor Mare’s biggest donor. And with Ms. Mare winning election after election, Filthy felt comforted that most of Ponyville thought the same way as him too.

This day however, Filthy Rich was here on a very serious matter. Last week, a kid foolishly fired off a hoofmade rocket in Rich’s Barnyard Bargains (using items purchased in his store no less) and set fire to two aisles. Of course, the foal had been repeatedly reprimanded in the past about using fireworks, but it seemed like the parents of the child in question weren’t doing enough to correct this misbehavior. Hence, it was time to take the law into the law’s hooves.

Namely, Mr. Rich desired to have fireworks banned in Ponyville once and for all. Sure, he’d lose the profits the store got from selling them each summer, but paying damages for two burnt-out aisles could do wonders in reshaping a store owner’s priorities. If Mayor Mare agreed to set the process of establishing a fireworks ban in motion, it was Filthy’s hope that parents would no longer be lenient with their children on this matter, least they pay an outrageous fine.

Sitting outside Mayor Mare’s office, the moneybag-flanked stallion tried deciphering the rancor coming from the room as he waited for his turn to speak to the mayor.....

The fact that Pigpen knew her garbage so well was disconcerting on so many levels that it tied her stomach in knots. She knew through experience that he didn't mean to sound so, hmm, highly unusual, but it was exactly these sorts of encounters that led him to be such an outcast. And it creeped her out, not that it showed in her smile as she shook the stallion's hoof- she was going to require a good wash after this meeting, but such was the work. It didn't stop the argument at all, the two of them still at each other's throats, with the flies a third party with bias. She felt the need to quash this once and for all- even if all she was going to do was stop it from vexing her a moment more.

[colour=#CC00CC]"Dr. Stable, Pigpen, stop. Dr. Stable, please respectfully work with Pigpen to help him and Pigpen, please show respect for a stallion whose job it is to ensure your health. Stop acting like foals,"[/colour] and sometimes giving them both a pony to be annoyed at would unite them. Hopefully, all would work out. She stood up, trotting slowly to the door

[colour=#CC00CC]"As for Madame LeMare, I do not know where she is right now. But I would trust that she is doing her publicity tour- Bookmark is one of our most prestigious bookstores and it is just around the block. I would try there firs, my good stallion,"[/colour] She finished, opening the door.

[colour=#CC00CC]"Now if you'll excuse me, I have more constituents to meet. Good day, gentlecolts,"[/colour] She said cordially, allowing them to leave. Once out, she nodded towards Filthy Rich- good to see him- and smiled at the mare who had waited patiently.

[colour=#CC00CC]"The Mayor will see you now," [/colour]She said sweetly, trotting back to her chair.

( Sorry that I've been gone, I've been busy the past couple of days. ) Iris stepped into the room and took a seat. She didn't know what her facial expression was necessarily, but I must've not looked pretty. She was nervous, yet trying to keep a smile on her face. She looked up and coughed a bit to try and get herself together. Iris looked up and softly said, " H-h-hello....I've been wanting a house for quite some time....since my brother lives here and all.....He's been sending me letters saying this place would be nice," She paused and took a breath, " One house is really nice and pretty, and I have to money right here. I've got the paper work and such.." She looked away, " If you need it."

Poor mare was almost as shy socially as Fluttershy, which was something the Mayor didn't really think possible. Fluttershy had required all sorts of maneuvering to get the proper place for her, and the Mayor didn't think she had it in her to spend another four weeks getting another pony to open up enough to get a place to live. Luckily, she was able to get the information out well enough so the Mayor was saved the indignity of having to ask. She assumed this was Iris, but what house was she referring to? Hopefully it was one of the ones owned by the city and not a private residence and they could get this done quicker. Even if it was private, she'd still have all the information on-hoof but she worried about this timid pony dealing with a profit-driven stallion. She didn't like the odds.

But she was here to help, and if there was one thing that Mayor Mare knew for certain, it was that helping ponies settle down in Ponyville and experience the love and friendship that coursed through the town and supplied it with the energy and possibilities that defined it. Nopony under her watch would go hungry or know the fury of the storm unaided and today she would help this mare settle in like countless others before.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Well, I'm very happy that you've chosen our fine town to plant your roots. We're not as big a city as Manehattan or Canterlot, but you'll never find yourself wanting for anything. My name is Mayor Mare, and I presume you are Iris? A pleasure to meet you. Now, what can you tell me about this property?" [/colour]The Mayor offered her hoof as she contemplated the mare's answer.

[colour=#8b4513]"Thanks a whole heap, Mayor Mare!" [/colour]Sheriff Silverstar shouted as he, Dr. Stable and Pigpen exited the room.

[colour=#ff0000]"And NOW, Mr. Pigpen," [/colour]the unicorn physician declared, [colour=#ff0000]"I will schedule an appointment to see me in my office later in the week to discuss your, personal hygenie."[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Well, alright Doc, I'll come but I won't guarantee I'll follow your advice," [/colour]Pigpen said with a smile.

[colour=#ff0000]"Now now Mr. Pigpen, you might like being CLEAN for a chance, the magic of SOAP and WATER!"[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"PLEASE don't say such horrible words to me!" [/colour]Pigpen shouted as he galloped away.

[colour=#ff0000]"Huh? What did I say?"[/colour]

[colour=#8b4513]"Nevermind Doc, they's some ponies that jist ain't gonna change," [/colour]Sheriff Silverstar laughed.

Meanwhile, three more figures entered the Mayor's office lobby and had a seat.

GrannySmith1WithText.png

150px-AppleStrudel_ID.png

201px-This_One%27s_Too_Old_2_S2E17.png

[colour=#00ff00]"Strudel, Waddle, thanks a whole heap fer comin' to the Mayor's office with me!" [/colour]Granny Smith neighed.

[colour=#006400]"It vas mein pleasure, Granny," [/colour]added Uncle Apple Strudel.

[colour=#696969]"Glad to be here with you," [/colour]Mr. Waddle said, [colour=#696969]"after all, each of us has a stake in seeing more done for the elderly here in Ponyville."[/colour]

[colour=#00ff00]"That's right, and besides that, we all have a stake in seein' more done fer the elderly here in Ponyville too!" [/colour]the elderly mare said without flinching.

[colour=#006400]"Javol!" [/colour]the bearded stallion replied with a nod.

[colour=#696969]"Whatever you say, Miss Smith," [/colour]Mr. Waddle said with a grin.

• 2 weeks later...

The mare in front of the Mayor just sort of sat there and did nothing at all. It was a bit unusual; even upon her arrival Fluttershy managed to stammer out a few words in response. Not this mare; she just sat there and did nothing. After twenty seconds it was awkward. After a minute it was a little weird. After two it was disturbing, at five it was scary, and after ten minutes the silence nearly drove the Mayor mad. She stood up in a huff.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Okay then! Well, I have other ponies to see, so when you're...with us...feel free to come back in," [/colour]The Mayor said before pushing the chair that the mare was in outside of her office and into the front waiting room. It took a solid minute, but the sacrifices she would make for her townsponies were immense. The awkwardness of the situation only increased as it took a full minute to get across the doorframe. By the end, she was huffing, puffing, and sweating- undignified all the way around, but it was what it was.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Alright, well...Filthy...you...oh Celestia I'm too old for that..." [/colour]She braced herself against the frame and took a few deep breaths. She then rearranged her glasses and smiled.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Filthy, come in,"[/colour] She stated plainly, trotting heavily back to her desk, finding her chair, and plopping down on it.

[colour=#cc00cc]"Celestia above, that was unexpected. So, what can I help you with today?"[/colour] She asked, an air of friendly chatter overtaking her. Filthy Rich was a good friend, one of the first ponies she had met when she moved to Ponyville. They had many disagreements but he was a reasonable stallion who didn't come to her with silliness. Often.

Archived