A What If Scenario - What If Twilight Actually Died in the Season 3 Finale?

brianblackberry

I found this image through Reddit today which offered an interesting alternate theory to happened to Twilight Sparkle when the magic from the Elements of Harmony all hit her and gave the appearance that she was destroyed.

oh_what_a_beautiful_mourning_by_pluckyninja-d5wog74.jpg

In this scenario the Magic from the Elements accidentally destroyed her as the end result of her attempt to solve the spell of Starswirl the Bearded and underestimating the sheer power of the elements. Her spirit was brought into the afterlife by Celestia, who is essentially a god (in the ancient pantheon sort of way) and showed her life before her in the ethereal realm before taking Twilight to an afterlife where she is given a heavenly world to "live" in so her spirit will be happy. Meanwhile in the mortal realm she had passed away, her friends left to morn.

I realized that this scenario will never happen in the show for obvious reasons, but it is definitely a plausible alternative 'what if' given what we saw in the finale of season three; at least the idea would serve as an interesting basis for an alternate universe of fan driven stories and art/comics.

In short, what do you all think of this as an idea?

I think....I think I wont be able to get this theory out of my head.

It's very probable, and it makes a lot of sense. But grief is a feeling I know well, and I like to imagine that the ponies...the ponies are safe from grief. They're safe from horrible pain like that. In the past two years three friends of mine have died. It's the worst feeling in the world. You wake up every morning and you think about them. In whatever you do you think about them.

They can't avoid Twilight's memory, they would have to face it every single day. She changed Ponyville forever, she had the world on her shoulders. She an exceptional pony with a life ahead of her.

This has been an extremely disturbing little train of thought for me :(

However, I'll enjoy reading the fanfictions for this. They'll definitely be amazing :)

i agree, just the thought that twilight is dead, and she will no longer be with her friends, is just a very odd concept for me. I mean the show would have that gloomy feel around it, i remember when my parents died my house and everything around me just felt, well, sad.

not to mention those few fanfics that i will wind up reading where the rest of them die off or commit suicide because of a broken heart..

But it would be a VERY interesting and stupid, thing to do i actually wonder if the show will ever do a whole "death in the family" of one of the ponies as an episode, i would be very interesting to see how that would play out...

(not that it WOULD happen, but hey, im jus' sayin)

I think....I think I wont be able to get this theory out of my head.

It's very probable, and it makes a lot of sense. But grief is a feeling I know well, and I like to imagine that the ponies...the ponies are safe from grief. They're safe from horrible pain like that. In the past two years three friends of mine have died. It's the worst feeling in the world. You wake up every morning and you think about them. In whatever you do you think about them.

They can't avoid Twilight's memory, they would have to face it every single day. She changed Ponyville forever, she had the world on her shoulders. She an exceptional pony with a life ahead of her.

This has been an extremely disturbing little train of thought for me :(

However, I'll enjoy reading the fanfictions for this. They'll definitely be amazing :)

It's very doubtful "death" would actually strike in a show like MLP. To be honest, if this wasn't an "all aged" show, I wouldn't mind actually having death; not because I'm sadistic and I like it, but because it makes it more realistic, if they used it properly at the right times, that is.

i remember when my parents died my house and everything around me just felt, well, sad.

Your parents died?

That's just really tragic and sad. I hope you're still okay.

...I feel so different, having everything I need when someone doesn't have enough.

I do not partake of My Little Pony products to get a miserable, morbid ending. There's quite a lot of other stories out there that deliver that sort of thing much more marvelously. But I won't stand for it here, and especially not with Twilight's death. So unless this is a prelude to her friends venturing into the underworld to bring her back to the land of the living, I'm going to have to pass on this one.

Actually, that's not a bad idea. I want to write a story about that.

• Like 1

I do not partake of My Little Pony products to get a miserable, morbid ending.

It doesnt have to be morbid though. It's not always the worst thing in the world when characters die off. Sometimes it promotes a certain goal the show would have. I think its not fair to discount the feels and meaning a tv show or screenplay tries to illustrate just because a character dies. Simba's dad died in Lion King. It was sad, and it was heart-wrenching, but it was necessary to tell the story the way it needed to be told.

They never address death in FiM because its a kids show. But we are all assuming AJ's parents are dead. And thats not morbid either, its just character background.

1986 Transformers movie. That's all I'm going to say.

Oh and if they do it well, and reboot the show with a new "mane 6" with different personalities, it COULD theoretically work out for the better ;)

• Like 1

'Hot Rod'-style character gets in Princess Twilight's way. She gets magically sealed in a crystal for 'the rest of time' (or until they need to resell Princess Twilight toys around Season 10).

It doesnt have to be morbid though. It's not always the worst thing in the world when characters die off. Sometimes it promotes a certain goal the show would have. I think its not fair to discount the feels and meaning a tv show or screenplay tries to illustrate just because a character dies. Simba's dad died in Lion King. It was sad, and it was heart-wrenching, but it was necessary to tell the story the way it needed to be told.

They never address death in FiM because its a kids show. But we are all assuming AJ's parents are dead. And thats not morbid either, its just character background.

Just out of curiosity, would you say the same thing if, say, Applejack had an accident with her tractor and became character background for a story about Apple Bloom dealing with the trauma of losing her beloved older sister?

That's probably a little harsh, and it's pretty ridiculous that I'm so protective of my favorite pony, but it's just how I feel. And please reread my post on this subject again. I clearly said that there are many wonderful, beautiful, quality stories that hinged on death, grief and coping out there which don't rely on a beloved character getting killed by the Outer Limits fairy.

1986 Transformers movie. That's all I'm going to say.

Oh and if they do it well, and reboot the show with a new "mane 6" with different personalities, it COULD theoretically work out for the better ;)

I also seem to remember the fans getting pissed off when Hasbro tried to brush over Optimus's death with whoever was supposed to replace him. I would be mad too if the inevitable passing of the torch from Twilight to whoever's next had happened with her dying thanks to miscalculating a spell. She could have given her life to save her friends, the princesses, and all of Equestria, but no. The greatest magical talent Equestria's seen in years forgets to carry the two and blows herself up, and her friends might be guilty of mareslaughter too. Joyous day.

• Like 1

Would FiM explore death? I'm not sure. I'd say probably not. There are certain things that parents should be left to teach their kids, and that is one of them. That's a bit outside the scope of this discussion. I know we've seen a funeral in FiM, but it was never a focus.

That comic is theoretical hyperbole to the events of S3 -- then again, so are a lot of things surrounding Princesses and their roles in Equestria, and how they work, exactly. Is Celestia immortal? Is Twilight, now? What about Cadance? More questions and no answers, at least for a while!

Just out of curiosity, would you say the same thing if, say, Applejack had an accident with her tractor and became character background for a story about Apple Bloom dealing with the trauma of losing her beloved older sister?

It would be tragic. But I think I would be more outraged that the family has had a tractor this whole time and I never knew until now, lol.

• Like 2

Will the show explore death? No. Could it? Sure, it could. Would it under different circumstances? Possibly, with the right idea. Should it? I don't think it is infantile enough to do a poor job and Hasbro wouldn't get a toy out of it so any idea involving it would come those with creative muscle, but at the same time, I sort of watch FiM for the whimsical and light-hearted narrative.

As for the theory, I like the theory. It's rather popular. I just hope it doesn't inspire a very small group of annoying Twilicorn deniers to postulate that everything we see from here on out is canon-Twi afterlife. (It's fandom- we've seen odder).

Personally, if anypony was most likely to die in a FiM episode, it'd be Princess Celestia. Mentors (especially if they're old) always have a high chance of dying, and most FiM viewers won't care all that much for Granny Smith kicking the bucket. :razz:

Interesting idea and we have already had a funeral in the show :razz: (Would Sweetie Belle attend?) Could they do it? I have no doubt the writers could handle it well. but I hope they do not broach the subject. As well as introducing death such a show may (have to?) discuss after death. It is one thing to hint at it (Apple family reunion) but if, as the comic, there is going to be a large discussion on it... Well, there are smaller cans of worms.

Is Twilight in [religion] [good place]?

Does she, as per the show, believe her friends are with her? (Implications for every pony who has passed on)

Would two friends who have passed on meet up or live in their own [good place]?

On and on and on....

Would FiM explore death? I'm not sure. I'd say probably not. There are certain things that parents should be left to teach their kids, and that is one of them. That's a bit outside the scope of this discussion. I know we've seen a funeral in FiM, but it was never a focus.

That comic is theoretical hyperbole to the events of S3 -- then again, so are a lot of things surrounding Princesses and their roles in Equestria, and how they work, exactly. Is Celestia immortal? Is Twilight, now? What about Cadance? More questions and no answers, at least for a while!

Actually, if we proposed Twilight is immortal, it'll start ANOTHER fandom idea.

What if, say, Twilight found out that she would be immortal for the rest of her life? (or at least live for an extremely long time like Princess Celestia) She'll have to face the pain of losing her friends and every pony she know from the bitterness of being mortal, or make the decision to give up her powers so she could be "mortal" like her friends.