Snowdrop (Fan Animation)

rjrgmc28

First off, apologies in advance if this thread is in the wrong section, so mods feel free to move it if you can.

Anyway, if you haven't yet known by now the team at Silly Filly Studios (link) premiered their new fan made animated project titled "Snowdrop" earlier today with a premiere stream on Bronystate. For those who aren't in the loop, [colour=#000000]Snowdrop is a story about a young, blind pegasus who, long ago, changed Equestria's winters forever on her quest to find herself. [/colour]

I watched the premiere this morning and well.....I'm lost for words. The feels, emotion, liquid pride and even a little bit of being emotionally attached to Snow Drop. Especially in the scene in my opinion that stole the show (spoilered for anyone who hasn't seen it yet):

The scene involving Snow Drop on the cloud and feeling upset over the project really hit me hard. Hearing her speak while literally being on the verge of tears and crying got me a bit weepy, especially when she does the wish:

"I wish, I hope, I dream, I pray."

Those words felt to me that this was her "hour of need". I've been in the same situation before many times during my life and I could totally relate to what she was going through at the time.

But with her back against the wall and the odds stacked against her she prevailed through in the end, abit a sad ending.

Overall, this fan animation project has to be one of the best I've ever seen. If you haven't yet seen it, do so, but bring a box of tissues along just in case the liquid pride starts to show.

• Like 1

That was amazing... So powerful and emotional. I really felt for Snowdrop. I think we've all felt like that at some point in time. Hopeless, useless, and alone... It was a story with such a bittersweet ending. Thanks for taking the time to post this, I might have missed it otherwise...

That was amazing... So powerful and emotional. I really felt for Snowdrop. I think we've all felt like that at some point in time. Hopeless, useless, and alone... It was a story with such a bittersweet ending. Thanks for taking the time to post this, I might have missed it otherwise...

This is like my life exept im not blind

Decided to give this a watch since I heard it was the big thing right now... and... uh... I don't know. :|

Well, I commend the animators who worked on this for doing an excellent job. It looked pretty smooth and approaching show quality. The voice acting was hit and miss, but generally okay too. I'm glad to see the fandom attempting big projects like this, and I think there was a good amount of talent involved in making this.

For me, this was a pretty big failure though. I'm probably too jaded or something. The story just felt trite, overwrought and manipulative. The fandom can produce impressive, inspired content, but this... it just felt like a turgid, mopey celebration of someone's mary sue OC. I dunno. Just totally not for me. Sorry. :/

• Like 6

Decided to give this a watch since I heard it was the big thing right now... and... uh... I don't know. :-|

Well, I commend the animators who worked on this for doing an excellent job. It looked pretty smooth and approaching show quality. The voice acting was hit and miss, but generally okay too. I'm glad to see the fandom attempting big projects like this, and I think there was a good amount of talent involved in making this.

For me, this was a pretty big failure though. I'm probably too jaded or something. The story just felt trite, overwrought and manipulative. The fandom can produce impressive, inspired content, but this... it just felt like a turgid, mopey celebration of someone's mary sue OC. I dunno. Just totally not for me. Sorry. :/

I'm glad I'm not the only one. We just can't take snowflakes seriously, huh?

• Like 7

Star Swirl must be kept from watching this movie at all costs. :o

That said, it really annoys me when Equestria of a 1000 years ago looks similar to modern Equestria. Other than that, I didn't care for this video at all. And now I'm tempted to make a joke app based off Snow Drop. :(

Animation was fantastic. Voice work was good. Now that I've said some good things, I feel comfortable in saying that stories like this and fanfics like MLD are popular for all the wrong reasons. At least this has animation deserving of praise.

Overall, this fan animation project has to be one of the best I've ever seen. If you haven't yet seen it, do so, but bring a box of tissues along just in case the liquid pride starts to show.

Just watched this & have to say you're 100% right. This got me rite in the feelbox.

I really liked the Luna parts in it especially.

So I saw Snowdrop a week ago, and I have to say I like it. The animation was good and the voice acting ok. Now as for the elephant (or pony) in the room: Snowdrop. Yeah, she's blind and she's has a case of being perpetually sad, things that many see as "Not MLP." Well first of all this is a fan made movie. If we all tried to be like the show 50% or more of out fan art and fan fiction wouldn't exist. We have things where ponies are different from what we see in the show. Some things are dark and sad, some involve ponies in other worlds/ realities. So we can't really compare anything fan made to the show.

Maybe I'm just a fan of stories of people or in this case a pony overcoming disabilities or challenges. Maybe I like sad fiction like Dashie that tugs at your emotions. I just can't say that this character is "just another fan creation of a Mary Sue character" and toss it into the rubbish bin of some things that should belong there.

This begs the question of whether OCs should be in fan films, comics or fiction out of the fear that they may be a Mary Sue. But that's another thread for another time.

But if I were to give this animation a grade, I'd give it a B. It's by no means perfect, but it's not horrible either.

If we all tried to be like the show 50% or more of out fan art and fan fiction wouldn't exist. We have things where ponies are different from what we see in the show. Some things are dark and sad, some involve ponies in other worlds/ realities. So we can't really compare anything fan made to the show.

It's not so much that Snowdrop wasn't like the show, but that it had nothing to offer for those unaffected by the animation's blatant emotional-pandering. If there had been some form of comedy or shock or ect., there would have been some stuff to obscure the "FEEL SORRY FOR HER" message the short tried to convey. As it stands, I didn't care for Snowdrop's "plight" at all, and no amount of good animation can make me ignore that.

I think it's hard for some of the RP management team to swallow Snowdrop as a character, because we see that her fundamental design as a character isn't very good when paired with a story that we've seen -- in one way or another -- throughout our experience critiquing characters for our very own roleplay.

• Like 1

It was great :D

Very touching, fantastic animation. Snowdrop was a bit of a Mary Sue, and yeah, it was pretty cliche. Nonetheless, I actually cried when that last snowflake fell. So I wont completely discount it, it was very nice.

Was not impressed, the animation? Beautiful, the voice work? very good, the story? No, just no.

Too much focus on the characters disability, too much focus on her being an outcast, the sudden "bbffs" with Luna? Just no.. :/ MLP is about the story at the very core, and this story was weak, phoned in, and just trying to make you shed tears.

I actually saw this a few hours ago...It's in just about every recommended section for each pony video on YouTube.

Anyway, I can't say it was good, but it wasn't terrible. I've seen plenty worse animated fanfics, and this is by far the best for me. Does anyone else think some of the ponies just look like OC's at a glance? Or is it just me?

The animation was great for the most part, slightly choppy at a few instances. And while the little fillies and colts are exiting the classroom, (around 3:45) you can see a few of them vanishing before they completely go off screen. That's what is bothering me the most about the entire video...It's very upsetting.

The voice acting could have been improved. It sounds to me as if someone should step back from the mic ever so slightly. Or get better recording equipment. Or, what ever is in their budget.

The story, while touching it was a bit Mary Sue-ish...Blind girl does something inspiring / touching / feels inducing and becomes instant best buddies with Luna AND basically gets her own celebration of sorts. :roll: I do not approve. Seriously, that is one *Pinkie Pie is best pony* of a speech for a foal.

Show analysis time!!

So according to the teacher, Celestia and Luna have been in power for 100 years already. Assuming that's 900 years before the canon date, that's impossible. Luna should have been, IN THE MOON!!

Unless of course this wasn't canon dated at all or it wasnt using anything canon for that matter...

On another note? Is that Surprise, the original character design for PinkiePie, walking alongside HoityToity at 0:27?

Yeah, I agree with you all.

In terms of telling a story that adds some depth into the world of Equestria that we know, it fails.

In terms of providing an emotional response, it succeeds.

Of course it would have been better to have both emotional response and plot.

What I give credit to is the fact that it was made. Few artists would not even consider tackling a challenging task of gathering together artists, VAs, writers and animators for a cause. So for better or for worse, they made it and their attempt was noted by me.

I thought the animation and VA was top notch...As I watched this, I kept getting old Strongbad E-Mail flashbacks where Strongbag creates a character just for the purpose of making Homestarunner cry...And really...Bullies...I've known a few..Generally I think even the bulliest of bullies would probably leave the blind kid alone.....

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...