Trotting With Zebras (PM for Invite)

Bellosh

52njo0.jpg

For time immemorial, ponies have praised the savannas of Unyasi as one of the most naturally-beautiful places on the face of the planet. While many ponies would say that that lack of tightly managed weather and extensive wildlife control characteristic of Equestria rendered this southern land a harsh land as well, those who live on the savanna would happily say otherwise. For those folks that live on the plains and other regions throughout Unyasi, no other home other than that which let nature free to find its own way could ever satisfy them.

And for one tribe of zebras living off the savanna, another day has dawned. Like always, there was work that had to be done in their village; farms to manage, cattle to milk, baskets to weave, and foals to rear. The village of huts, located within a sparsely-wooded area to the south of a worn-out mountain chain, was in the midst of another rainy season. Only a few more weeks, and the entire savanna would be teeming with greenery.

In the midst of these busy happenings, one elderly zebra found a little time for some rest and relaxation. This old mare was no other than Zeti; chief of her tribe and ranked among the wisest of zebras in the region. As she lay on the grass and sipped on a herbal tea, the chief casually speculated on how this day would proceed. Probably nothing out of the ordinary for this time of year; a sudden storm perhaps, but that was about it. Musing silently, Chief Zeti took another sip of her drink as she awaited the all-but-inevitable delightful intrusion of a fellow member of her tribe.....

• 5 months later...

It was a long trip here but she finally made it to Unyasi, the home of the Zebras. She barely could tolerate the ride here though, The unfortunate mare had finally had her first bout with Seasickness... and my was that a losing a battle. When she finally made it ashore she leapt off the gangplank and showered the dirt with Kisses and affection, stating she'd be staying away from the water and boats for as long as she could. After a lot of confused stares and giggling from the mixed crowds of zebra and pony she pulled herself up and dusted herself off with a cough, going on her way with heavy blush of embarassment and her hat pulled down to hide her face.

The trek to her destination was one of the most incredible experiences she'd ever gotten through. The magnificent mountain Range that separated this land from the rest of Unyasi was a beauty to behold, in fact Presteza had taken a bit of time out to find a good looking place where she memorized how this place looked and what she would use to paint it later. Now was not the time for that though. The Mare could almost feel the Mwamba calling out to her and she didn't intend to keep her waiting!'

The descent from the mountain seemed a lot more dangerous than the initial climbing, she'd almost fallen a few times but she managed to get herself out of the tight spots with some ingenuity and some quick reflexes. The Mare went wide eyed at the sight of the many dormant volcanoes and the wide open plains, some teaming with life ,others areas with mineral deposits to make any griffon's head spin, but while those held their appeal to those who sought them the excitable mare only saw two things in this magnificent place she wanted a part of: A big adventure waiting to be found and a beautiful painting waiting to be made.

52njo0.jpg

It wasn’t everyday that the zebras of Mt. Vukizo saw a pony in their neck of the woods; let alone one who aimlessly wandered through the mountainous wilderness. So it was only natural that when a forager first spotted the wanderer somewhere near the outskirts of the village, they came to alert Chief Zeti first. The chieftain's instructions; to prepare a humble welcoming meal right now should the traveller be hungry from their voyage. Should the pony decide to decline the offer of hospitality… then nothing would be lost because others could make a tasty lunch out of it instead. Win-win situation!

As her wishes were carried out, Zeti slowly walked towards the village’s edge to see if she could get a glimpse of the newcomer. The old mare couldn’t see anything yet, but she was a patient zebra, and so would keep scanning the area as long as she needed to.....

The traveling unicorn soon appeared over the horizon. She had seen the incredible mountain in the distance and heard of it's magical "Shrouded lake", it sounded like it would be a truly great site to paint in the future. She had also heard about the local Zebra tribe and greatly wanted to meet them; Unsure if they would be willing to let her paint this landmark she intended to ask their chief. Eventually she noticed what seemed to a be a Zebra mare in the distance.

Trying to be friendly she waved to the Zebra in the distance and began to trot towards the village, eager to meet this tribe. What would they be like? did they like strangers? these questions and more were just buzzing around in her mind.

Kutula was a perceptive zebra, she could hear, and feel someone coming from further than most could see. Though the chief gets notified, usually the mediator wasn't notified of issues outside of tribe, only within. However she got her news anyhow. Zebra talked and she could hear usually. Most in her tribe didn't question how she got the information she did, nor did they really care, as she was a benefit to the tribe.

She took note of everything, the wind, the air, the sounds around her. Kutula trotted over to her chief, as if it were any other day. "Shikamoo, Chief Zeti." The young mare greeted her chief who went to the edge of their settlement to see who their would be guest was. "The winds have brought word of an unexpected guest from the west. When was the last time we had an outsider visit us?" She inquired, rarely does she expect someone as far out as they are, and the fact that they are nomadic makes it even harder to run into outsiders.

52njo0.jpg

"Shikamoo, Chief Zeti."

Chief Zeti grinned as her trusted mediator trotted by and provided the traditional greeting to an elder. “Marahaba, Kutula,” Zeti instantly responded to the younger mare as also per tradition. As the elder expected, Kutula revealed that the winds revealed the presence of the traveler nearby, who just now finally appeared in the chieftain’s line of sight.

“We haven’t had outsiders come by... for several moons now,” Zeti continued the conversation; “Not since the safari group during the second-to-last dry season.” The elder zebra chuckled at that memory, for not everypony who came from the north were… adequately prepared to handle a voyage through unfamiliar Unyasi. Zeti remembered how many from that prior particular company of ponies fussed over the lack of various conveniences that only Equestrians seemed to need, although the chief had to commend that expedition for showing courtesy throughout their stay.

Finally, Chief Zeti could see the figure waving a hoof in the air. The aging mare responded by raising her free foreleg straight up into the air, but refrained from waving it around. Zeti however still couldn’t clearly make out who the equine trotter was, so she asked Kutula; “What else can you sense about our outsider?”

The young artist trotted eagerly at first slowed down a bit. She didn't want to seem hostile after all, The tall mountain was practically looming ahead of her.. or at least it looked that way due to it's immense size. The mare paused a moment as she memorized the mountain from this distance, even this far from it it would make an incredible painting!

As she continued her fairly long trot her features would eventually become clearer for Chief Zeti to make out. She was obviously an equestrian pony, not a single stripe to be found on her. Her blue scarf lightly tussling in the wind and a small horn poking through her hat.

Eventually she neared the edge of the village and waved to some of the Zebra's there,"Um, 'lo there! nice to meet ya!"

• 1 month later...
“We haven’t had outsiders come by... for several moons now,” Zeti continued the conversation; “Not since the safari group during the second-to-last dry season.”

Kutula smiled at her chief's response. Kutula made connections with anyone she could, because to her it meant more friends she could help. She really didn't mind friends or strangers, after all, she couldn't make judgements based on looks only sounds and how the pony felt to her. She was always happy to meet new ponies any time. "That safari group seems like forever ago now. It will be good to meet some new visitors, Chief." Kutula gleefully responded, showing her excitement of meeting someone new.

“What else can you sense about our outsider?”

Most in the village liked to see how far Kutula's sense of perception could go, to the children of the tribe, her perceptions seemed endless, the elders of the tribe, Zeti included, knew better. However they did always respect her input, even without her eyes, how Kutula percieved things became an integral part of the village, and even how some made their decisions. "The earth seems confused, and I'm not sure what to make of it, a second ago, I would have sworn they were eager to see our small tribe, but their hoof steps have slowed considerably approaching the village." Kutula began. "The approaching visitor also appears to be wearing something around their neck that is flapping in the wind." Kutula smiled as she continued to tell her chief little details that she was able to hear and feel around her. "Unfortunately, my chief, that is all nature is telling me right now."

Not too much time passed before the visitor reached the edge of the village.

"Um, 'lo there! nice to meet ya!"

The sound of the voice told Kutula that it was a young mare, certainly from mainland Equestria, but she couldn't place the exact accent she had. Kutula gave a smile, then bowed her head. "Greetings traveler." Kutula greeted the guest. "I am Kutula, the tribal mediator. And it is a pleasure to welcome you to our village." Kutula still hearing the flapping scarf, not being sure if the scarf was heavy or not, decided to ask. "Pardon me for being forward miss, but is it not too warm out to be wearing a scarf?"

• 3 weeks later...

OOC: Bleh, I swore I had a response written days ago, but for some reason it didn't get posted. Since that's lost, I'm only going to do a short post, because I'm not rebuilding my old post over again.

52njo0.jpg

"Um, 'lo there! nice to meet ya!"

Chief Zeti didn't think anything odd with Kutula's observation that the traveler slowed down; it was common for anyone to hesitate when approaching a totally new person. At any rate, it didn't take long for the newcomer, a unicorn mare with a curious hat, to make her greeting. "And I am Zeti; chief of those who live... under the shadow of Mount Vukizo," the elder zebra announced after the mediator had spoken; "We are well met, visitor. You must be weary... from your journey."

"Come," the chieftain beckoned with a hoof as she headed back towards the village, her eyes gleaming with excitement even if the rest of her aging body couldn't express it these days; "Our people are cooking... quite a fest. Please join us....."

• 1 month later...

WWWXRbf.jpg

"I am Kutula, the tribal mediator. And it is a pleasure to welcome you to our village. Pardon me for being forward miss, but is it not too warm out to be wearing a scarf?"

"And I am Zeti; chief of those who live... under the shadow of Mount Vukizo, We are well met, visitor. You must be weary... from your journey."

"Come, Our people are cooking... quite a fest. Please join us....."

This was a much warmer welcome than she had expected... but then again Presteza wasn't sure what she was expecting. She obviously didn't think that she'd be greeted by both a mediator and the chief though. Both of theses Zebras seemed really friendly. One was an adult mare, her eyes having a sort of fade in them... her eyesight must not be very good, but that raised the question of how she noticed the scarf she wore. After a moment of thought she realized the answer was her scarfs noticeable flapping in the wind. Speaking of her scarf, it -was- actually pretty hot out to be wearing it, but where was she going to put it? her saddlebags were already mostly full with her paint supplies, so stuffing her scarf in there seemed impractical.

"It's nice ta meet ya both! I'm Presteza from Trottin'ham ... which is in Equestria... but I guess ya could already figure out I'm from Equestria." she said with an embarrassed chuckle. Looking to Kutala she nodded,"And yea yer right about it bein' kind hot out but I don' have anywhere ta put it fer now."

When she looked towards Chief Zeti next and gave a deep bow to the two zebras after taking off her hat and letting it hang from her neck via a string," It's a pleasure ta meet both of ya!"

As soon as the elderly chief brought up the subject of food Pressy's ears perked up. She hadn't had any decent food since the boat ride to Unyasi! Grinning ear to ear her head darted back up into it's default postion,"Really?! I'd love some food!"

Archived