(Golden Oaks Library)A Spark of Intrest(SteelEagle, Open)

IceStorm

[colour=#008080]"Oh... this is going to be so much fun,"[/colour][colour=#000080] Ice said to herself as she ran around her home looking to make sure she had everything that she needed. [/colour][colour=#008080]"Quills, check. Scrolls, Check. Bottles of water for practice, check. flavourings, check. Looks like I've got everything,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she said happily as she made her way down stairs and made herself a quick snow cone to take with her. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]As soon as she walked outside, she felt the warmth come over her and it was a slight bit uncomfortable. [/colour][colour=#008080]"Good thing I made a snow cone!"[/colour][colour=#000080] she smiled and took a bit of the frozen treat. She began making her way towards the Library. The walk itself wasn't anything out of the ordinary and she gave a gentle wave to others as she passed by. For everypony else it would be a nice day regardless of it being a bit warm for her tastes. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]Without much of a delay she was at the Library and she was so excited. [/colour][colour=#008080]"Oh I can't wait for all of her experience!!! Hopefully I don't end up wasting her time..."[/colour][colour=#000080] Ice said to herself as she knocked on the Library Door. [/colour]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Learning was a lifelong mission, the sort that when done correctly opened up avenues in the mid previously closed. The expansion of one's intellect and the exploration of what you were capable of was one of those pursuits that was forever enriching and never ending, and the time Twilight was under Celestia's care and was given free reign to learn and explore her mind was one of the cornerstones of how she had become the mare she had become. A mentor or guide was important to every pony who wanted to learn as much as possible as safely as possible, doubly true for unicorns who often had such unknown depths that a slight error could turn into disaster. It was with this mindset that Twilight had agreed to help a local filly foster an increased sense of focus and aptitude in her magical studies, and hopefully this leads to a bright magical future.

Of course she wasn't going to become the little filly's mentor or go as far as Celestia did. She had the right to do so of course, but she knew she wasn't ready for that sort of responsibility and the filly wasn't in possession of the devastatingly powerful potential that in many ways demanded royal supervision to foster and nurture. Twilight would be a guide, an aide, but the filly would have to do the bulk of the work like every pony throughout history. Twilight gathered several books, papers, quills and inks, cleared out the basement-slash-experiment room, and moved an hour of her schedule free so the little filly could get her aid. Twilight hoped she didn't make a habit of this, because she wouldn't have any time at all to learn herself if she spent all her time teaching!

Twilight heard the knock and instinctively knew who it was, telekinetically opening the door.

[colour=#4b0082]"Please come downstairs!"[/colour]

[colour=#000080]When the door opened and Twilight answered for her to come downstairs, Ice Storm did so without hesitation. It would look horrible if she kept her tutor waiting after she agreed to help her with her issues. Once she had made her way to the basement of the library, she spotted the Lavendar Alicorn. It was still some getting used to in order to see Twilight with wings. While she didn't know her while she was a unicorn, she had at least seen her around Ponyville on occasion. Oh no... what if she thinks that I only approached her because she's a princess now.... What a horrid first impression... she thought to herself as she approached her.[/colour][colour=#0000ff] "Hey Twilight! Or... Princess Twilight... Thank you for agreeing to help me! It means so much to me. I had meant to do it sooner... but my shop had been a lot busier than I expected, thankfully,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she said looking at all the quills scrolls and Made her way over to them and sat down. [/colour]

Twilight smiled as the mare made her way to the quills, attempting to excuse her slight tardiness while seeming a bit conflicted on how to refer to her. That was more excusable than being tardy- even her friends sometimes had difficulty with it, especially when they actually saw her taking care of royal business. The tardiness however was a bit more of a problem, but at least it was for a good cause. Twilight had no idea her newest student was a small business owner, and that only made it all the more likely that the mare would stick to the work Twilight would give...or more likely for those duties to be shirked in the name of livelihood, so Twilight felt the slightest bit apprehensive about the deal.

[colour=#4b0082]"Twilight is quite alright, Ice Storm,"[/colour] Twilight answered with the slightest of chuckles, closing the door in the room above with barely a thought, [colour=#4b0082]"I just have one question. Why'd you choose me? I mean, sure I'm a Princess, but there are ponies who've dedicated their lives to teaching others. Is it because I'm a Princess?"[/colour] She asked somewhat absentmindedly, though it was the sort of thing she had come to expect. Ever since she had become a Princess everypony had been treating her different in ways both subtle and overt and as time drew on it was becoming something of an annoyance. She was the same pony she had ever been, just with wings and a title. She wouldn't treat Ice Storm any different no matter the answer, of course- who wouldn't jump at the chance to be taught by a Princess and the Element of Magic to boot?

Twilight next hovered some tea and biscuits over to the pair, laying it on the table.

[colour=#4b0082]"If you get hungry or thirsty, feel free. Now, time to get to work- what do you need help with?[/colour]

[colour=#000080]Ice Storm shook her head when Twilight asked if the only reason she asked her was because she was a princess. [/colour][colour=#008080]"Not at all. The reason I decided to ask you was because I don't think there's a pony alive that knows magic like you do. So I knew that if anypony would be able to help me, it would be the pony who's the best at everything,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she smiled. [/colour][colour=#008080]"Like I said, I had planned on making this visit a lot sooner. My shop just wouldn't let me,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she explained to her. Twilight then levitated some tea and biscuits over to them adding that if she got hungry or thirsty to feel free.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]She then asked what it was that Ice wanted to work on. [/colour][colour=#008080]"Well, My Ice magic is really strong, but I feel it to be a bit inefficient, as It's my primary source of my frozen treats at my shop. I would like to refine that a bit more and make it more efficient. However if we don't make it to that I won't be upset. What I really need to work on are my other basic spells. I can't use anything other than basic levitation with getting sick. I can teleport, but every time I try, I get nauseous for a good few hours. A basic light spell will make me sick for about short while, and any sort of detection spell is as bad as teleportation. Even Telekinesis will make me sick after a while and I'll have to take a break at my shop. I need to know why and how to fix it so I'm not making myself sick anymore."[/colour][colour=#000080] Ice explained.[/colour]

At least she seemed to have a good head on her shoulders that weren't home to eyes that latched onto signs of royalty. Twilight had encountered that far too often too quickly and too soon in her 'reign', and it was grating. Luckily the mare had a ready-made answer, truthful or not though Twilight was inclined to put stock in the honesty of others. Still though, Twilight didn't consider herself the best at everything- she didn't even think she was the greatest in regards to magic. Surely there was a pony before her time or soon too arrive that would outshine her in the realm of magic. Failing that, Ice Storm would just have to settle for Twilight Sparkle. Ample enough consolation prize.

[colour=#4b0082]"Well then, I'm happy to help you Ice Storm. I just had to verify- you wouldn't believe the amount of letters I get asking for personal tutoring or help since I became Princess. Responding to them all is quite the task, let me tell you,"[/colour] She finished, not mentioning that it was equally tuckering for her assistant. Twilight listened to Ice Storm's concerns, taking them as receptively as any teacher could. The question wasn't power, which relieved Twilight considerably. So many ponies sought power when that came not through practice or learning, but your basic biological capability. You couldn't train to become more powerful, but you could learn how to harness it, how to become more efficient and direct it's application to the smallest internal detail.

Of course, it was the rest of what she said that thre Twilight off. Most unicorns knew basic levitation as well as a spell more closely tied to their cutie mark, but she had a stable of them! That was exceedingly rare, amazingly rare- in all of her time in Canterlot, she had met only two other ponies who could boast it. And according to her reports so far, there were fewer than a hundred in all of Equestria. In short, Ice Storm just got a lot of Twilight's vast attention turned to her.

[colour=#4b0082]"Come again? You know all those spells?! That's amazing! Fewer than a hundred unicorns in all of Equestria know so many. That already means you're very unique," [/colour]Twilight said, eying up the horn and getting far too close. It seemed rather normal, maybe a few more ridges in it but nothing too abnormal. Twilight shook her head- quid pro quo if she wanted anything, first she had to give sincere effort to Ice Storm.

[colour=#4b0082]"Well, you certainly have a lot of avenues for learning. Basic Levitation and telekinesis are making you sick? Sounds like it could be an issue with aura dispersion, relatively common issue that I can help you with. Teleportation sickness is commonly caused by too little or too much concentration, forcing the aura deeper into your nerves. Same with a light spell. All of those issues aren't too big a concern at the moment, however. If you're using ice spells for your business, we need to focus there," [/colour]Twilight rambled, removing books from the library upstairs and laying them on the table as she physically re-adjusted her papers. After the books were laid down, an obsidian ball on a stick made it's way into the room. Twilight nodded towards it.

[colour=#4b0082]"If you could show me your ice magic on the ball, please."[/colour]

[colour=#000080]Ice Storm blushed when Twilight mentioned that she knew all of those spells. [/colour][colour=#008080]"Aww, it's not really that many... aside from my Ice Spells, I only know four others..."[/colour][colour=#000080] she blushed not really thinking it was anything special. She listened then as Twilight had previously mentioned that she was just verifying. That she wouldn't believe the amount of letters she'd gotten wanting this study session. Ice smiled thanking Celestia inside herself for being one of the ones that Twilight decided to take a chance on. From the sound of it, she was quite skeptic of most of the others for wanting actually study, which, Ice could understand why.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]When Twilight started talking about her magic though and acknowledged that basic levitation and telekinesis were making her sick sounded like it could be a problem with Aura Dispersion, something that she said that she could indeed help her with. This made Ice clap her hooves happily and listed as she continued, stating that Teleportation sickness is common from concentration, Either too much or not enough, which forced the aura deeper into her nerves. Ice grabbed a pencil with her magic and began writing everything that Twilight said so she could have something to reference later if she needed it. She said that the same can be applied for the light spell. She then added that those weren't too big of a concern at the moment, adding that if she was using her Ice magic for her shop and means of business, then it was the priority thing to work on. [/colour]

[colour=#000080]With a nod, Ice Storm did as Twilight had instructed her to do, using her horn to channel one of her ice spells at the obsidian ball and coated it with a sheet of ice that was perfectly spherical around it except for the handle.[/colour][colour=#008080] "How was that?"[/colour][colour=#000080] she asked wondering if anything had been noticed yet. It was only the second spell cast but she was hopeful that maybe she'd spot something and either tell her that her Ice was fine and it was just the extra Levitation and telekinesis that was making her winded, or if there was actually something she was doing with her Ice that was making it so. [/colour]

Twilight watched as Ice Storm did as instructed. She did it relatively easily, which didn't come as a shock as she was experienced with it and it was her bread and butter spell that made her unique. In just a few short moments the ice formed around the obsidian ball, perfectly spherical and smooth. It was an impressive spell, and she seemed to have good control over it. But if she was seeking to make it more efficient, something had to be wrong somewhere. She didn't seem to have exerted a great amount of effort nor did she mention it knocking her for a loop, so Twilight shelved the possibility of it for a little while and turned her attention to the ice itself. Her horn lit up, lightly and then darker as the moments passed. Internally, the obsidian ball grew hotter and hotter until the ice started to melt, and after about ten seconds there was a concise puddle on the ground. Twilight washed it up as a small line of thin paper started to fall out of the obsidian from the handle opening. It fell to the ground and Twilight picked it up, dropping it into a clear solution.

As the paper floated in the solution, Twilight studying it intensely, her mind wandered. Magically created artifacts of the elements were inherently different from naturally occurring instances of elements, whether by strength or intensity or depth. Or, sometimes, ability to endure. After all, elements produced by magic were connected to the auras of the ponies who created them, directly linked to the pony's innate talents and skills. Naturally occurring instances were slower to form, but were of usually much stronger making and held no greater flaws than the nature of it's element. And as the ticker tape started to form patterns, Twilight had a good idea as to what the problem was.

[colour=#4b0082]"That spell is quite unique, Ice Storm. You're quite right to come to me for help making it more efficient, though. As you can see, it isn't cold enough- it does the job, but it melts quicker than naturally occurring ice. This could be a bit more difficult than I had figured, but if worst comes to worst it shouldn't be a cause for worry. It's still a powerful, useful spell either way,"[/colour] Twilight smiled, levitating a reflective panel in as goggles snapped on her head. As this happened, Twilight daubed Ice Storm's horn near the base and near the tip and attached two very tiny circular pads to the wet areas. They were connected to small wires that trailed into the room where all the items were coming from.

[colour=#4b0082]"But we need to test more. If you would, levitate the obsidian ball for twenty seconds, then place it back on the handle stand. After that, tell me how you feel. Then use your light spell on that surface for a full minute. Then tell me how you feel. We should have some solid readings to judge what's going on with your aura, and from that we can come up with a good lesson plan to help you. Begin when ready."[/colour]

[colour=#008080]"Ah... that,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she started in response to the ice melting sooner than naturally occurring Ice. [/colour][colour=#008080]"I've actually done some research on that myself. It turns out there's actually a lot of science behind that. It turns out the very thing that makes Ice magic stronger structurally, also significantly lowers it's melting point. Simply put, water in it's purest form, which is the water vapor that's in the air, cannot naturally freeze regardless of the temperature. It's why that the entire atmosphere isn't frozen when it's winter time. Water naturally has to have an impurity to crystallize,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she told Twilight with a smile. [/colour][colour=#008080]"The fact that my ice magic forces water to freeze in it's purest form, automatically gives it a lower melting point than naturally occurring Ice. The instructors at the school of magic have told me that I'm always going to have that issue. If you know of a way that I can get around that, then I would be most grateful,"[/colour][colour=#000080] she smiled to Twilight.[/colour]

[colour=#000080]She then remained perfectly still as Twilight began to apply some more hi-tech scientific equipment on her horn. They felt a bit funny, but it was necessary. Then Twilight gave her the instructions that she needed to follow. She did so first with the Levitation. She picked up the obsidian ball and held it to approximately eye level for the appropriate amount of time. When she released it she felt a slight bit winded but not really sick yet. When she cast the light spell though, she could only keep it lit for about half of the time that she was asked before she began getting dizzy. She pressed though it though but still fell a few seconds short as she went down to her knees to keep from falling over. [/colour]

[colour=#000080](OOC: Actually a true fact BTW. Pure water alone cannot freeze.)[/colour]

Twilight half-listened to Ice Storm as she detailed her knowledge of why ice was ice, or why she thought ice was ice. It was mostly incorrect, mind you, and was actually reversed if anything, but her knowledge of the magical aspects of ice were lacking in a more severe manner as they had far more to do with what they were there for. It was somewhat disturbing that she didn't once mention why it was that her ice melted quicker than it should auras. Auras could shield ice, and by doing so prevent melting. But then again few ponies had Princess Celestia as a mentor and thus many lacked the same understanding of the nuances of magical auras that she had. One of many things that must change under Princess Twilight! Regardless, she allowed Ice Storm to finish and then start doing her appointed tasks.

The first task was the easiest, but endurance of the aura was already a noticeable problem. Still, winded or not, she did it. Now came the harder task, a light spell. The light reflected off of the mirror well enough, and Twilight's goggles came into play. However, Ice Storm was already tired and out of the game. The light died and Twilight trotted gamely to the back of the mirror, checking a few panels. Some tape fell out, and she levitated it into the solution. She then trotted into the next room and read off some readings, then removed ticker tape and dropped it in the solution.

She removed the glasses, levitating tea to the unicorn who was on her knees.

[colour=#4b0082]"Take a rest. We need to test your teleportation, but that can wait a few minutes. I'm starting to have an idea of what we need to do, and yes, I can help you. Your instructors, like most of their grade, do not understand auras like I do, so it is understandable that they have not been able to inform you of what you could do with your ice magic. Rest up and when ready, teleport to the bullseye in the next room. I can take your readings there,"[/colour] Twilight stated with a bit of a bounce in her step, indicating a small area in the next room that was encased in glass.

• 1 month later...

When Twilight tile Ice Storm that she could take a break, she didn't hesitate in obliging. She was already starting to get a bit tired from her previous exercises and considering that the one that she was testing next was the one that made her the most sick. Twilight continued to say though that her instructors most likely didn't understand auras. At least not to the extent that she did. So it was understandable that some of the information that they had given her could have been lacking. She told her that she could help her and that she already had an idea of what they needed to do. This was relieving, and perhaps she might finally be able to do things without getting sick.

She then watched as Twilight trotted with a bounce into the next room and told her to teleport into the area with the bullseye whenever she was ready. It took a few moments for Ice to build up the will to do it, as she knew what was going to happen as soon as she did, but after that few moments, she began to charge the teleportation spell and then teleported right into the enclosed area collapsing onto the ground immediately as she had appeared. Her eyes began spinning, and she was already starting to turn the most not-so-lovely shade of green, She didn't even know what was was up or down at the moment. "I... think I'm.... just going to sit here... for a bit..." she said shakily.

Shining Armor wasn’t in Ponyville often, but when he was, he did his best to make time to stop by the library to see Equestria’s newest princess. It was a big job being a princess; Shining Armor would know since he was married to one. The captain figured it would be good to give Twilight all the support he could give her while he was in town.

“Twilight?” he said as he rapped on the door.

No answer. She must have been busy with something or other. Armor waited for a few minutes before growing curious. Where was Spike? He was usually around to take care of things that Twilight forgot. Which was far more often than Twilight would care to admit. Armor chuckled to himself. Finally fed up with waiting, Armor nosed the door open and let himself in. With how Twilight had monopolized the great tree, it was easy to forget that it was still technically a public library.

Armor trotted into the ground floor of the library, gently setting the little brown bag he was carrying down on the center table. He could hear faint voices coming from somewhere, but they were muffled as if behind tons of wood and dirt. Armor spied a door cracked open just a hair. This must have been Twilight Sparkle’s famous (or infamous, depending on who you asked) basement lab. Opening the door, Shining Armor gingerly trotted down the steps, calling out as he went.

“Twily! You in there? I brought your favorite noodles from that Manechurian place down the street!”

Twilight waited patiently, assuming that she would have a minute or two to prepare for Ice Storm'e eventual teleportation. It was a demanding task and so soon after the other spells it was doubtful she'd have the energy to go ahead so quickly, and if she did Twilight wouldn't be on the hook for what happened. In any case the answer to their questions seemed to materialize just as suddenly as Ice Storm materialized in the room, her broken power base and weakened aura no longer keeping her body from committing to it's oh-so desired action. She finally gave in to the desire for rest and utterly exhausted. Twilight nodded and levitated some tea and biscuits towards ice Storm, who had landed off-center on the bullseye.

"Take a rest. You sound exhausted- you look exhausted! Luckily, I think I have enough information to come up with a plan for you. What it appears-" She began, slowly levitating the tools off of her and getting a pillow, forcing it under her for comfort before the sound of her brother's voice shook her out of work mode. She beamed as she nearly pranced out of the room.

"I'll be right back! Don't go anywhere!" She muttered with excitement before trotting out of the room. As she turned to go up the stairs, she saw her brother and her wings flapped awkwardly in excitement.

"Shining, it's great to see you!" She gave her brother a hug, pulling him down onto the laboratory floor with some of her unnatural alicorn strength, "It seems like forever! How is Cadence? How is the Crystal Empire?" Twilight asked, putting the noodles on the table and taking in the aroma. It was a small little shop and she had asked the owners to not make a big deal of her shopping there, but they made what was simply the best noodles in all of Equestria. She couldn't help but imagine how they were swooning over meeting a Prince!

"Thank you for bringing these, Shining. I wish I had something I could give you!"

• 4 weeks later...

Dizziness and nausea were a constant for Ice Storm after she had teleported into the designated area that Twilight had instructed her to do so in. Everything was upside-down and spinning to her as her body recovered from the teleportation process. It was something that she had grown to dislike doing a lot and it was beginning to get to a point to where she almost wished she didn't know how to do it. She vaguely managed to hear Twilight mention something about having enough information for something but she couldn't really make out anything after that as she was too focus on not making a mess everywhere. She didn't even know that somepony else had come into the library, much less who it was that entered. She barely heard Twilight tell her to stay put, and that she would be right back. "Don't.... worry" she said through a gag. "I had.... no... intention... of moving..." she finished.

Shining Armor could not help but chuckle at his sister’s enthusiasm, even more so while being pulled down the stairs. It was a little less comfortable, of course, when she decided to squeezehug the life out of him, but it was all in good fun Armor should have figured that becoming an alicorn gave her more than just a pair of wings. They were after all, representative of ALL species of pony!

“Cadence is great!” he managed while grappled by the Twi-hug of doom. “Can I breathe yet?”

On cue, Twilight dropped him, prompting a deep breath followed by a sigh of relief. She dropped the noodles on a nearby table before turning back to her brother and listening intently. Armor smiled. “Don’t worry about the noodles! I figured we could crack open the takeout box and have a proper snack just like we did while I was in school.”

It was then that Armor noticed all the equipment in the basement, equipment which was no longer covered in dust sheets and mothballs but beeping and buzzing and gurgling excitedly. “Unless you were already busy, of course...”

• 2 weeks later...

She nearly forgot her own newfound strength, releasing her brother who was then free to breathe. It had come in handy in fewer occasions than it had been a dreadful bother, leading to accidentally destroyed tables or friends tossed casually while joking around. But if it meant anything she did think that a hoof wrestle with Applejack was in order eventually, if only to get her to stop asking for one. Afterwards, Twilight didn't think she'd field another request. She chuckled as her brother took a deep breath and enjoyed his company, and the noodles, for a few moments in silence. They were all so busy these days and that would not let up, possibly ever. Having even a small meeting with him was beyond exciting, but she had to contain herself if only because a thousand burning questions didn't come out very intelligently most of the time.

Then she remembered she was helping somepony as he came to realize that he wasn't in some mad scientists' defunct laboratory, but an active one!

"No, it's fine. I'm sure she won't mind a breather anyway. I'm helping her work out the kinks in her magic ability," Twilight offered up quickly, putting the noodles done through great personal effort.

"Her name's Ice Storm. Should be in the other room taking a rest after executing a teleport spell...kind of, anyway," She chuckled, trotting over into the room. As she expected, Ice Storm was having trouble even moving. It made sense- teleportation was a spell that required a great expenditure of energy and mental acuity. Without a doubt, casting multiple spells beforehoof didn't help matters much either.

"You don't have to get up if you don't feel like it, but if you would like something to eat my brother has brought some fantastic noodles. I'd be willing to share!"

• 1 month later...

Everything was still spinning as Twilight made her way back into the room. To say that she was dizzy was an understatement. She felt like the sun seeing everything orbiting around her. Only thing was, she wasn't supposed to have things orbiting around her. At least as far as she remembered she shouldn't. There was another pony with her that Twilight starting to introduce, and through the spinning it was sounding like she said that it was her brother. "It's a... pleasure to meet you... I'll... have to do so again when everything stops spinning..." she said shaking her head to try to speed up the process of making the dizziness go away. It wasn't helping much, but it was helping, as she heard Twilight ask if she wanted some noodles. "I would love some... perhaps will help me recover faster," she said now at least breaking up her sentences.

• 3 months later...

banner_shining_zps335c7546.png

"Hello, um, my name is Shining Armor. Maybe you've heard of me?" It was hard for Shining to talk to other ponies in public without sounding like he was some famous celebrity that was expecting all kinds of adoration, but a setting like this in which it was just the three of them? Shining would entertain it. "Teleportation huh? I was never really able to master them myself. Of course, I don't rely on that school of magic in order to accomplish what I do daily anyway." Shining grabbed some noodles and ate them without much care for proper eating etiquette. "You learned any protection spells yet?"

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

SparkleforSteelmedium_zps4c73fc7b.png

Twilight knew the after effects of a particularly fierce teleportation could be felt for many hours afterward. Teleportation Cranial Slagging it was called, and it was something to be dreaded terribly. After a somewhat shaky teleportation, the brain could suffer a little bit of damage. Everything would arrive safely at the destination in working order but the fissure in a pony's perception of time and space was not so easily welded tight and shut and almost every time a headache would be the reward. But even that was when a generally good job had been done. If there were flaws, Cranial Slagging would only get worse. The worst cases would end with a floating sensation and a loss of balance as well as great dizziness that could last in varying amounts. One case even lasted a week! Luckily, Ice Storm seemed to improve her condition relatively fast and it wasn't long before she was taking Twilight up on her offer of noodles. And who could blame her- they were fantastic. Twilight levitated an extra bowl and laid half of her noodles in it with a utensil as she considered what to do.

She could not help Ice out with teleportation. It was clearly too far a reach considering her abilities and pushing it more would only lead to further heartache. She would have to simply stop using it and let her aura eventually thicken as it consolidated around her superior magics. She would eventually lose the ability to teleport but would gain superior competency at her other spells and, with training, may even improve to a great deal in a few of them. The linchpin of it was that she simply let go of something out of her reach and give herself the small mercy of restraint before bounds were broken and she took a step too far. No need to tell her just then, however- these noodles were tasty and she needed a break.

"These noodles are really good!" Twilight said, stuffed mouth and all as her brother spoke about protection spells. Ice wouldn't be able to use them, but it wouldn't hurt to show her a bit of a demonstration.

"Ice, do you want to see- *slurp*- Shining give a little demonstration? Nopony is better at protection spells!"

• 2 weeks later...

When the Captain of the Guard introduced himself, Ice couldn't help but let out a small giggle. "Of course I've heard of you. You'd be hard pressed to find a pony who hasn't," she replied as he commented on teleportation and asked if she knew any protection spells. "Kind of, I think? I'm not really sure if it would count as a protection spell, though I rarely ever have to use it. And I don't rely on teleportation that much at the moment either, but might be something I'll need a bit later given a few recent events if anything just to keep from getting overwhelmed. But at the moment, I've only used it three or four times, not counting the time that I just used it, and I've only used it once without suffering any sort of backlash. I wish I could remember how I did it, but you know how those things go. As far as the protection spell goes, I'll let you be the judge," Ice told him as she used her Ice magic to manipulate the air around her to form Icy plates around her body that turned into a full set of ice plate armor. "Not really a protection spell as it is me just manipulating ice into the shapes I want it to be in," she added as Twilight set some noodles in front of her. They smelled amazing and after the first bite, she was hooked. "You weren't kidding about these noodles. Where did you get them?"

Shining slurped up some noodles and then swallowed before enthusiastically attending to a demonstration. Seeing Ice Storm's set of ice armor was pretty cool but he could already see the flaws. "That's really neat, but it's ice, so it'll probably melt. You are pretty good with ice magic, but you would have to keep recasting in order to maintain any kind of protection. Here, let me add something." Shining's horn glowed brightly slowly but then had a sudden burst of magic shot at Ice Storm's ice armor. After the beam had subsided, a magical aura was seen surrounding the entire integrity of the armor Ice had made. "See, there. It's not a very powerful cast, but that aura will last several minutes and will keep the ice from melting." Shining sat back down to grab some more of the tasty noodles. "Or as my ol' pal Gaffer would say, a plus four resistance against fire." Shining smirked and grabbed more noodles, pulling them to his mouth using his magic.

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

Ice smiled and let off a small giggle when Shining Armor mentioned that the armor was just Ice, and that it would eventually melt and she would have to recast it for any decent protections."Well, it's not meant to be a permanent protection thing. It's only something I cast if I'm in immediate danger which would help cushion impacts. Not to mention I can change how thick the armor is as well. If I need it to last longer, I can just make it denser. I also use a much lighter version of this on the hot summer days. Because it's made of Ice, it acts as a personal cooling unit, so I never have to worry about being too hot. It's quite useful actually," she smiled as she slurped up some more of the noodles.

SparkleforSteelmedium_zps4c73fc7b.png

While Ice Storm made many critical mistakes when it came to magic, namely trying to do far too much when she was a specialist, Twilight was impressed with what she saw when Ice decided to showcase a more signature part of her capability. There was no doubt to have as she looked on at Ice Storm as she casted her spell, creating a aromor out of ice. Not a bad concept, if a somewhat inefficient use of magic. But the point was rthat it worked, and even as her brither started up twilight could see where Ice could defend herself. The aura dispersion Twilight felt at the second of casting as well as in the underlying aural current that provided the even flow needed to sustain and transform materials such as ice delivered a clear message, one of capability and modularity. She was more than capable of changing the shape and thickness of her ice to fit a variety of scenarios, making it a very versatile use of her magic.

Of course, it came with one large flaw that neither of them could have known. Twilight was so steeped in the understanding of magic as well as ability to faintly feel the aural flow between ponies and their magic that only a specialist in magical detection could match her, and neither one of them was remotely near even an amateur in that highly specialized field of study. On point, the issue with that spell was that transformation of any sort took a heavy hit on the aural dispersion and connection with the aether that provided the basic building blocks of magical ability. Quick, rapid fire changes could and would swiftly render moot her capabilities and tire her out, turning her own magic into an ineffective mish mosh of effects and fizzling magic. There was little Twilight could do to help that except basic medical practice to strengthen the aural connection to the aether and the flow of the aural dispersion across her field of magic.

"Impressive!" Twilight said as she slurped some more noodles effectively, one sneaking above her lip and slapping her snout after an aggressive suck, "though I'd be careful in any situation in which you need to change it up swiftly. That could quickly see your magic rendered ineffective. When did you start using this spell?" Twilight said as she finished her noodles voraciously, burping in the most Princess like fashion afterward.

"Oh, excuse me!"

Razor opened the door to the library and quickly slipped in before closing it behind him. He took deep quick breathes as he tried to relax. He hope that this sneaking around he had been doing wasn't going to be a normal thing, but he didn't exactly trust that he wouldn't run into a certain pony in this town.

'And I really don't want that today.' He thought.

Razor blinked and notice nogriffon was around...or nopony at least. Though he could hear some muffled voices. So obviously there were ponies here, but not in the area he was.

"Better. I can find the books I want, read them a bit and then leave. No distractions, obstacles and no one to bother me." He said and flew over to a shelf. First he had to see if this place had the latest book of his favorite fantasy, romance, drama novel. War of the Seven Roses.

Ah there it was! He quickly scooped it up and popped it open. He kept himself up in the air. One, it would keep his presence hopefully quiet, or at least that was the excuse he gave to justify staying up in the air which was just fun. Two, because if someone did show up he could hide the book quickly by staying near its source of origin. No one could know!

In the back of Shining's head was the contemplation of a possible curse. A curse that basically involved trouble always surrounding him and his loved ones every time Cadance and he spent any time with sister Twilight Sparkle. And of course, he would never blame his sister, nor would he ever bring it up. He wouldn't want to jinx what might be a perfect time to spend with his beloved sibling, but also because he didn't want to have another argument with Twilight on the legitimacy of curses and their existence. She played the best skeptic Shining has ever known.

Instead, when Twilight gave small a princessly belch, Shining smiled at the elegance of his sister. It wasn't as traditional as Celestia and Luna, but he rather enjoyed the lower key tone that both she and Cadance brought to royalty. It brought a relaxed tension in Shining's ability to play his own role, but of course, he figured it also brought identity to towns ponies and lit inside of them that they can truly be whoever they want to be. Shining was proud of that honesty, even if a burp wasn't really intended. "Twilight, you got something on your... here, I'll just get it." Shining levitated a napkin, dipped it a cup of water, and wiped Twilight's face where a little sauce from the pasta dish had been accidentally slapped onto her face. The moment brought back so many memories.

Suddenly, Shining heard something going on in the next room. Something was going on. Shining immediately stood up from the table and walked towards the room slowly. He turned the corner with his horn glowing to ready a powerful protection spell. When he jumped through the doorway, he spotted a griffon looking at a book. Shining had no conclusions to jump to, but he would take the precaution. "What are you doing!?" Shining stood there in an attack stance, his horn ready to shoot at any moment.

Archived