Lost and Hunted

Monochrome

This is a story of long ago, when there were not two sisters ruling Equestria, but four rulers- one for the earth, one for the sky, one for the sea, and one for the realm of dreams. There was, however, one more. He was a dark force, his world the shadowy counterpart of the dream world, and was normally only dealt with by the ruler of the dream realm. However, at night, his ranks creep into the lands outside of their own and devour dreams, creating what is commonly referred to as "bad dreams" or "nightmares". But now, as the sun rises at the bidding of the sky princess, there is one nightmare lost and afraid in the streets of an Equestrian town- none other than the daughter of the ruler of the darkness of dreams. This is good-natured Nao.

She dashed along the streets, the portal to her own world closed off for the burning hours of daylight. She pulled the hood of her black cloak over her curled horns and mane of flames, hoping nopony would notice her sharp teeth, or that nopony would notice her at all. Not many had seen her kind before, and they would most certainly be frightened, possibly into outright violence. She shuddered at the thought of it as she moved on.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ooc: okay :D If Elphie is the princess of the sky, is that okay?

It was a bright day and Elphaba had to squint to see. She walked slowly, not sure of where she was going. Elphaba was an Alicorn princess, princess of the skies. She walked about equestria with caution. She looked over to see a sprinting figure dashing through the streets. "Hey wait!" She called after the mysterious pony, and began to follow.

Nao jumped, startled, and ran faster. Somepony was following her! Had they caught a glimpse of her horns? Her flaming mane? Her pointed teeth? Nao glimpsed back at the pony chasing her, and immediately became even more worried. An alicorn?! Nao had to think fast. She could transform into a pegasus or something, but the alicorn would simply fly after her, would she not? She could turn into a shadow, but that would leave her cloak behind and confuse her pursuer. She could- Before Nao could think of anything else, she tripped over a fallen branch, her cloak slipping off as she landed on her face. All of her was exposed without the cloak; after realizing that, Nao quickly covered her face with her hooves, trembling with fear as she waited for whatever would happen next.

Elphaba skidded to a stop, almost hitting the pony she was pursuing. Her eyes widened slightly at the sight of the pony before her, she had horns and a flaming mane! She wasn't sure of what to make of all this but she quickly grabbed the cloak and threw it over the mysterious ponies head. "Get up and come with me." she whispered to the pony, helping her up. Elphaba was a little frightened at the ponies sight, but she didn't let it effect her.

Nao stood up with some unexpected help from the alicorn and froze for a moment, her soft yellow eyes glowing and fearful in the shade of her black cloak. "Wh-who are you? You're not afraid of me? You're not... Angry?" she stuttered, gingerly stepping forward.

Elphaba looked at Nao. "Why would I be mad? You didn't do anything wrong." She said. "Ill have to admit your apperance did startle me a bit." She laughed a little. "My name is Elphaba, princess of the skies. Who are you?" She asked.

Nao sighed with relief, but immediately tensed up again at the alicorn's mention of who she was. A princess! But how does she not recognize the traits of my species? The princesses are nearly the only Equestrian ponies who have full knowledge of my kind... she thought. She blinked her luminescent yellow eyes a few times, then shook her head to clear the fog of shock and confusion from her mind. "Oh, uh.... I'm Nao." she said softly, not mentioning the part about being the princess and harmony-keeper of the nightmare dimension to avoid sudden fearful or violent reactions from her fellow princess.

"Er... Maybe..." Nao said unsurely. Her kind was never very social with the other species, but she had occasionally had encounters with the ruler of each land as a filly. She racked her brain for any small memory of this princess. She suddenly had a realization. This was the sky princess; one of the ponies whom good-hearted Nao had played with within their dreams when she was little.

Elphaba nodded. "Now I remember, sorry I didn't recognize you right off. I don't have the greatest memory..." She trailed off. "Why are you here? And not in the dreamland?" She asked.

Nao was relieved that the alicorn showed no anger. "The portal has closed off until night. I didn't quite make it home in time from my nightly rounds." she said softly.

Archived