Love and Other Awkward Emotions (Ended)

Lux

Receiving a kiss from his very special somepony lit up Hayseed's face like a roomful of fireflies! He smiled so widely his teeth glowed with radiance. He tried to surpress this sudden rush of joy he felt, but he wasn't succeeding very well.

"It would be mah pleasure ta show ya 'round the rest of the farm! ANYTHING ya want, Miss Carrot Top!" the happy stallion neighed as he began to ramble excitedly. "I could take ya to the swimmin' hole or the duck pond or to Haywire's treehouse. Oh, I fergot, she accidentally blew that one up tryin' ta mix her chemicals fer them firecracker rockets she makes. Boy was Haymaker mad THAT day! Lucky Haywire used her escape hatch ta git outta thar before it went ka-blooey. Er, maybe I shouldn'ta said all that. Anywho, was thar any particular place ya wanted ta go, Miss Carrot Top?"

If Hayseed could float, he'd be on Cloud nine looking for Cloud Ten at the moment....

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The kiss seemed to light a fire under the stallion as Carrot Top watched her special somepony start to rattle of several places where the two could go. She laughed at the sudden display of joy that Hayseed felt at such a simple act of love and happy that for him even the smallest things made him happy. Love in all its complexities was made simple between these ponies.

"I'll go wherever you would like to take me Hayseed," Carrot Top said, "Don't worry. I'm sure we'll have time for everything you want to show me, and then after that I'll show you where I live."

Gradually, Hayseed started to calm down. The brown farm stallion was still a little nervous, but was now more relaxed than before. He wanted to show his very special somepony everything. He wanted this to be a day she'd never forget.

"Well Miss Carrot Top, we're closest to the duck pond from here, we could go thar next," Hayseed said as he led the love of his life towards the pond. "I'm sure glad ta have met ya! Kinda funny we got together like that at Rich's Barnyard Bargains. But I'm really happy that things ended up the way they did."

"That sounds like a good place to go," Carrot Top said as she followed her special somepony to the next place on the farm. In reality she didn't care if he showed her a mud puddle as long as she was with him. The stallion appeared still nervous as she tried to make their time together as best as they could.

"Yeah, it was hard to believe that I met you there, too. Then again I was looking for bargains rather than a special somepony. I guess we were both given a friendly surprise."

The two then approached the pond which true to its name had a few ducks quacking and swimming. Carrot Top stood on the edge to look at a pair of ducks, one male and one female that reminded her of her relationship with Hayseed. Unfortunately the feelings were short lived as the mare lost her hold on the slippery edge of the pony and fell face first into the water!

Hayseed neighed loudly when he saw Carrot Top fall into the pond.

"Don't ya fret none, Miss Carrot Top! I'm a comin' ta save ya!" the brown stallion shouted, tossing off his hat as he dived into the water. Hayseed knew he had to act fast since the love of his life had fallen into the deepest part of the pond. Swimming up to her, Hayseed sat the upper body of Carrot Top up on his back as he paddled gently back towards the shoreline on the other side. Rolling the mare gently off of his back, Hayseed looked down at her.

"Are you alright, Miss Carrot Top?" Hayseed asked as his sisters quickly galloped over to them.

"What did you do to her, brother?" Haymaker said before landing a punch on the unsuspecting stallion's jaw.

"Hay stop that!" Haywire shouted, "that ain't helpin' Carrot Top! Quick Hayseed, better give'r mouth ta mouth recessatation like we learnt in school!"

"You're right, sis, gotta save her!" Hayseed neighed, positioning himself, ready to give mouth to mouth to the motionless mare.

Carrot Top was a little surprised falling into the pond, but she was in no way in fear. The Earth Pony mare was actually a fairly good swimmer, at least in the respect that she she felt comfortable in a pond or a river. Before she could react, Hayseed dove in, pulled Carrot Top on his back, and carried her out. The mare heard Hayseed ask her if she was ok, but then the stallion's sisters suddenly chimed in saying something about mouth to mouth. She half opened her eyes and saw Hayseed standing over her ready to resuscitate her. She decided to play a little trick on the caring stallion so she kept her eyes closed, ready to be "rescued."

"Don't jist stand thar, brother!" Haywire shouted, "she could be dyin'! Give'r mouth ta mouth now! Yur bigger than I am!"

"And you have more hot air than either of us!" Haymaker laughed.

"This ain't no time fer jokes!" a worried Hayseed yelled back, "the mare I love's in trouble, I gotta save her!"

With that, the brown furred stallion carefully tilted Carrot Top's head back, cleared her mouth and then began to do mouth-to-mouth resusitation on her.

"That's it, Hayseed! You kin do it!"

"Good technique, brother," Haymaker admitted as Hayseed continued, unaware that Carrot Top was ok all along..

Carrot Top could feel the tone of concern in the Hay Family's voices, as she felt her head being tilted back. She wasn't going to delay things much longer in revealing her secret as she didn't want any unnecessary stress on the ponies, especially her special somepony who was upset that his love might be hurt. As she felt his face touch hers, she opened her eyes, wrapped her forelegs around the stallion and gave him a long kiss! After holding him there for what felt like an eternity of bliss, she let go of him.

"Thanks for rescuing me," she said with a wink, "I feel much better now. How about you?"

• 3 weeks later...

"Miss Carrot Top!" Hayseed neighed, offering the wet mare a gentle hug. "I'm so happy yur ok! Don't know what I'd do without ya!"

"Good work," Haymaker said as she turned to her younger sister, "Our guest is soaking wet, would you go fetch one of our horse blankets for her from the barn?"

"Yes ma'am!" Haywire neighed with a salute as she dashed off.

"I'll prepare some hot soup for Carrot Top. Brother, while I'm gone, you need to tend to her, ok?"

"Anything ya say, sis!" Hayseed replied, unable to look away from the face of his very special somepony. "Don't ya worry none, Miss Carrot Top! We're gonna take good care of ya!"

"Thanks for being so concerned," Carrot said, "Actually I can swim pretty well, as I been taking a dip in a stream or a lake ever since I was a filly. Great way to cool off during those hot summer days."

Suddenly Carrot felt like she was the center of the universe with everypony seeming to attend to her needs.

"Well, I'm shocked at all this attention I'm getting! I'm feeling like I'm about to be pampered like a Princess. Of course you don't have to do that though, but a blanket would be nice to warm up. Do you have any place in particular you want to show me Hayseed while we're here waiting for your sisters to return?"

"Well Miss Carrot Top, I'd like ta show ya the.." before Hayseed could finish his sentence, Haywire had tossed the blanket over Carrot Top's back.

"There ya are, Carrot Top!" Haywire neighed, "that'll keep ya warm till we kin git a campfire goin'! I kin do that mahself!"

"OH NO YOU DON'T!" shouted Haymaker from a distance, "I DON'T WANNA SEE YA ANYWHARES NEAR FIRE! HAYSEED, YOU START A FIRE TA GIT CARROT TOP WARMED UP! I'M STILL WORKIN' ON THE SOUP!"

"GOT IT COVERED, SIS!" Hayseed shouted back before turning to his very special somepony. "Reckon big sister's right, we best git ya warm and dry first before I give ya more tourin'."

The brown pelted farm stallion quickly gathered up firewood, placed stones around them and then rubbed two sticks together to ignite it. Soon, there was a nice warm, roaring fire.

"I ain't gonna let this here oppertunity go ta waste! I'll fetch us all some marshmellers and stuff ta make s'mores with!" Haywire neighed as she galloped up to the barn.

Before she or Hayseed could resume their tour, a blanket was suddenly draped over her as Haymaker began to dole out orders of getting a fire ready. Much as the mare felt a little uncomfortable being the center of attention, she knew it was useless to resist. In fact this was a very nice gesture on the Hay Family's part to see that she was comfortable. With the fire going Carrot Top inched nearby it to warm up but far away enough to be safe.

"You know, this fire feels pretty good. Reminds me of those winter nights when I'm at home watching the snow fall outside with a mug of hot cocoa. Those are great nights!"

"Yep," Hayseed said as he sat beside Carrot Top, "winter's such a perty time of year. But it kin be kinda rough on us farmin' folk. Shucks, every winter Haymaker gits cabin fever real bad. Little Haywire jist loves the snow! She and I go outside ta build snowponies an' have snowball fights. I meant ta ask ya, Miss Carrot Top, have ya got any brothers or sisters?"

As he spoke, Haymaker arrived with a large cup of hot soup.

"Ya need ta warm up yur inside as well as yur outside, Carrot Top," Haymaker said sweetly as the lanky red maned mare gave her the cup. "It's tomato soup, I always can plenty of it during the fall."

Soon, Haywire arrived with loaded saddlebags. The blank flank filly took a seat near the fire and then popped a few marshmellows on a stick.

"And jist what do ya think yur doin', young lady?" Haymaker asked sternly.

"I'm gonna roast some marshmellers an' then make some s'mores!" Haywire answered happily.

"Yur gonna spoil yur supper eat'n all that!"

"But this here fire ain't gonna last past supper! Besides that, I was gonna make enough ta share with y'all."

"Sounds like a good plan ta me! Thanks, Haywire!"

"Don't encourage her!" Haymaker snorted, folding her forelegs and looking upset.

"Yeah, winter is kind of tough for me. I have to try and make sure I can sell as many carrots as possible before the freeze gets them, and i make sure I have some stockpiled for me during that season. I just like to walk around outside in the winter or watch the snow fall from my house. But no, I don't have any brothers or sisters. Just me!"

The mare was then given a warm cup of soup that Carrot sipped, feeling the warm liquid coat her throat.

"Wow, this has to be the best soup I tasted. Hey, maybe I can trade you some of my carrot soup in exchange for a few of those tomato soup cans if you want."

The orange manned earth pony watched as the filly brought a saddlebag full of things before preparing some marshmallows.

"I had roasted marshmallows before as my parents would sometimes have a bonfire at nights. I don't think I ever had a smore though. What's it made of besides marshmallows?"

Haymaker's tone softened when she saw that Carrot Top was eager to accept Haywire's antics and how the farm mare had complimented her soup.

"Why thank ya Carrot Top!" the red maned mare neighed. "I would be pleased as punch ta swap recipes with ya! Carrot soup sounds mighty good ta me!"

"So, you were an only foal?" Hayseed asked as Haywire moved closer to Carrot Top.

"Glad ya asked!" the blank flank filly neighed, opening her saddle bag, "Ta make a good s'more, ya need melted marshmellers, graham crackers and chocolate! They're real easy ta make, and even more fun ta eat! Wanna roast some marshmellers with me? I gotta extra stick!".

"Great," Carrot Top said, "Well next time we meet bring some."

Hayseed then asked to make sure that he heard that Carrot Top was indeed an only foal.

"Yep, it was just me. I always wondered what it would be like to have an older or younger brother or sister like you have."

The more that Haywire explained what a smore was the more Carrot grew excited having one.

"That sounds delicious! I'll definitely try one. How long do you roast the marshmallow for the snmore?"

"I like roastin' mah marshmellers till they burn!" Haywire neighed, "but that's jist me. Most ponies like roastin'm till they melt a little."

"Well, havin' sisters kin be a lotta fun!" Hayseed said to his very special somepony, "I do love mine!"

"An' we love ya too, big brother," the blank flank filly said as she placed a marshmellow on a stick and gave it to Carrot Top. "Here ya go, ma'am!"

"I must admit, I do love mah family," Haymaker said as she sat down near the fire, "but sometimes they can be a real pain in the tail!"

"Roasting them until they melt huh," Carrot said looking at the marshmallow on the stick, "I guess I'll try that."

Placing the stick in her mouth the orange manned mare placed it above the flames. After roasting the marshmallow slightly she then added it to the rest of the items to make a smore before eating it.

"This tastes great! It's sweeter than baby carrots! Thanks for letting me know about this yummy treat."

She smiled seeing the affection given off by the three sibling ponies and how they interacted with each other.

"These is good, ain't they, Carrot Top?" Hayseed asked as he started to eat his s'more.

"Reckon these is the bestest s'more ever!" Haywire announced as she nearly swallowed hers whole.

"Chew yur food, young lady!" Haymaker warned, "Ya don't wanna tummy ache, do ya?"

"I gotta good idear," the blank flank filly said as she turned to Carrot Top, "how would ya like ta see mah treehouse?"

"Yur treehouse?" Hayseed asked in amazement, 'but ya never let nopony ever visit yur treehouse!"

"That rickety old thing," Haymaker snorted. "besides that, Carrot Top here still needs to rest after her near drownin'!"

"Well, ok..." Haywire said, "but if'n ya feel up ta it, Carrot Top, I'd love ta show you and Hayseed around."

"What about me??"

"You called it rickety, you ain't invited!"

"Yeah they are really good," Carrot said finishing hers. The hospitality was all around her with a warm fire and a blanket, good food and not to mention great company. Haywire then mentioned visiting her favorite spot on the farm, a treehouse she had.

"It's ok. I'm actually much better. At any rate I didn't really come close to drowning. I'm used to swimming in ponds and creeks and things. But yes, I'd love to visit your treehouse after i finish my soup and maybe another smore if you don't mind."

"You got it, Carrot Top!" Haywire shouted as the happy filly quickly prepared another s'more and handed it to her.

"I'm glad you're feelin' better," Hayseed said with a wide grin on his face. "You really have a knack fer spreadin' happiness all around. Look at how happy ya made Haywire!"

"I'd be careful if I were you," Haymaker warned, "I wouldn't be surprised if her treehouse is loaded with zany booby traps."

"Nah! I wouldn't prank a guest like that, especially one who's sweet on mah own brother. I'd never even prank any stallions that came ta visit YOU here, sis."

"Thanks, sis," the lanky red maned Earth mare said, lowering her head as she was reminded of her lack of a boyfriend.

"Cheer up, Haymaker. Thar's bound ta be a great guy fer ya out there somewheres. and you'll find'm, jist have faith!"

"I sure hope so. Miss Carrot Top, would you like any more soup?"

"Thanks," Carrot said to Haywire as she roasted the marshmallow, blowing out a little flame that appeared before assembling her smore.

"Aww you're so sweet," she replied to Hayseed who commented on how she brightened up a day, "You do that too you know."

Upon the mentioning of a special somepony, Carrot Top could see that Haymaker looked saddened. It didn't take a genius to know that the mare was upset that she didn't have one, and the fact that the orange manned earth pony was there with Hayseed didn't help things.

"I know that you'll find a special somepony. I didn't have a stallion in my life either for a while, and I began to wonder when it would ever happen. But if there is one thing I learned, it's that sometimes love can come unexpectedly. So you can look for love, but sometimes it'll find you! Are there any stallions in town that are catching your eye?"

Upon offering of another bowl of soup, Carrot Top said, "thanks but no thanks. The last bowl was really yummy and it filled me up. I fear if i had another, I wouldn't be able to move! Then I'd have to be rolled into the tree house."

Haywire and Hayseed giggled at Carrot Top's comment about being 'rolled up' to see the treehouse. Haymaker smiled, she wanted to laugh, but she was still thinking about not having a boyfriend.

"Ya gotta great sense of humor thar, Miss Carrot Top!" Haywire shouted, :"I can't wait ta show ya around mah treehouse!"

"I'm lookin' forward ta that too," Hayseed said as he turned to Haymaker, "ya coming with us, sis?"

"No, y'all go ahead, I have to clean up the kitchen, do the dishes and then go fetch the mail. I'm expectin' some more hay orders."

"Well, I reckon it'll be the three of us then," Hayseed said as he looked lovingly at Carrot Top, "anytime yur ready, Miss Carrot Top!"

Carrot Top hoped that her words towards Haymaker were good. She didn't want to just make her feel good but to let her know there was hope for everypony looking for love. The orange manned mare didn't want her relationship with Hayseed to be one of hope rather the jealousy.

"Well, I just have to finish this smore," she said before having the last of the sweet treat, "Alright then, let's go to the tree house."

"HORRAY!!!" Haywire snouted, leaping up in the air as she started to lead her brother and Carrot Top down the path towards her treehouse. "I can't wait ta show ya around! Parden me while I git the stairs lowered down fer ya!"

As the two approached the treehouse, they could see it's a very large structure, two whole floors in the upper part of a very large oak tree. It is also plain to see that one half of it had been recently rebuilt with a few burnt pieces of lumber laying on the ground at the bottom of the tree. The nimble Haywire jumped on a nearby rope swing, and after getting enough swing momentum, let go of it to launch herself upward, landing on all four hooves on the upper deck. The giddy blank flank filly then slid down a rope ladder to reach the bottom floor. Finally, the blonde filly reached a large spool-type gear lever and began to crank it downward until a lage wooden panel slowly lowered down until it touched the ground.

"There ya are! C'mon up! Ain't often I git ta show this here place off ta guests! Mah brother helped me build the basic structure, but then I added a few more touched of mah own!"

"Ladies first, Miss Carrot Top," Hayseed said with a smile, pointing a hoof at the stairway.

Archived