Love and Other Awkward Emotions (Ended)

Lux

Carrot Top gleefully hopped along the road with a smile on her face as wide as a mile. Today she was going to see a very special pony, Hayseed, whom she met only about a week ago and yet for some reason it felt like that they had known each other for a while. She remembered when she met Hayseed in Mr. Rich's store and for some reason not only did they become friends, but they became something more. Her mind still spun with that meeting as she still couldn't believe how fast things went! When speaking with other ponies who were friends or couples, she always heard that friendships and relationships took time. Yet in the orange manned mare's case things jumped from being friends to a relationship is ten seconds flat! Carrot never really believed in love at first sight, but in this case it actually worked.

She walked up to the farm house, hoping that she remembered which farm the Hay Family lived in. Pausing to collect herself, the mare hoped that everything would go well.

"Here does nothing but hopefully something," Carrot Top said softly as she knocked on the door.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

med_gallery_475_9_15266.jpg

As Carrot Top knocked on the door, much noise and commotion could be heard inside the barn. Suddenly, a giggling Haywire leaped out a side window.

[colour=#800080]"GIT BACK HERE, HAYWIRE!" [/colour]the booming voice of Haymaker blared out as the older red maned mare popped her head out the window. [colour=#800080]"I KNOW YA PUT THAT THAR ITCHIN' POWDER IN MAH BATH TOWEL!"[/colour]

[colour=#b22222]"Can't prove it," [/colour]the rust coloured filly snickered as she galloped towards the front of the barn, stopping when she saw Carrot Top at the door. [colour=#b22222]"Oh, hi thar Miss Carrot Top! Betcha wanna see mah brother, I'll git'm over here fer ya."[/colour]

Haywire took a deep breath before she yelled out, [colour=#b22222]"HAY BIG BROTHER! YUR GAL'S HERE!"[/colour]

Suddenly, Hayseed opened the door. He looked a little nervous as he cleared his throat to speak.

[colour=#0000ff]"Hi there, Miss Carrot Top," [/colour]the brown furred Earth stallion said with a big smile. [colour=#0000ff]"Yur lookin' real perty ta-day."[/colour]

Before he could say another word, a furious Haymaker bolted her way past him and stopped in front of a stunned Haywire.

[colour=#800080]"AH HA! NOW I GOTCHA YA LITTLE.."[/colour]

[colour=#b22222]"Er sis.. we got company," [/colour]the blank flank filly said softly, pointing over in Carrot Top's direction. This caused the lanky older mare's mood to change from anger to happy in less than a second.

[colour=#800080]"Why hello thar, Miss Carrot Top!" [/colour]Haymaker neighed with a wide, welcoming smile. [colour=#800080]"So good of ya ta pay us a visit! How have ya been?"[/colour]

There was no doubt in her mind that this was the Hay Family house as suddenly Haywire bounded out a window as Haymaker shouted something about itching power. Then Hayseed showed up at the door. The poor stallion looked like a strong breeze was going to blow him over like a leaf as he nervously greeted her. The mare didn't know why Hayseed was so nervous around her except for messing up. So far nothing he did was an indication that it would happen.

The mare's creamy cheeks blushed a bright red when hayseed said that she was pretty.

[colour=#ff8c00]"Awww thanks Hayseed! That's really nice to say that. But I just look like I normally do though. You look quite handsome yourself." [/colour]

Suddenly Haywire went past Carrot and a furious Haymaker almost literally shoved Hayseed out of the way to get to the filly when she stopped and noticed Carrot. Immediately the lanky mare's demeanor shifted from an angry look to a happy one.

[colour=#ff8c00]"I'm fine, thanks for asking. I see that you're having fun chasing each other around the house. How have you've been?" [/colour]

His sisters' actions made Hayseed even more nervous, but this wasn't the first time his two siblings managed to embarrass him in front of other ponies. The farmer Earth pony just smiled as he tried to make the best of the situation.

[colour=#0000FF]"Thank ya, Miss Carrot Top," [/colour]Hayseed said shyly, [colour=#0000FF]"I got somethin' ta show ya over in mah work shed 'round back, if'n ya wanna see it. Its a surprise I've been a-workin' on fer a while. I kin show ya while mah sisters keep PLAYIN' CHASE 'round the barn, right sisters?"[/colour]

[colour=#B22222]"Oh yeah, sure!" [/colour]Haywire neighed with a wink, [colour=#B22222]"we're jist PLAYIN' cause it'd be real embarrassin' if'n we was fightin' or somethin' like that, ain't that right big sis?"[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Oh yeah, of course!" [/colour]Haymaker added, forcing a wider smile on her face. [colour=#800080]"Me and Haywire PLAY very often here at home, don't we sis? Sis? Haywire?"[/colour]

The clever rust coloured filly had used this opportunity to scamper away from her angry sister. What infuriated the stunned Haymaker the most was the fact that her younger sister seemed to simply vanish with no trace or trail, causing the lanky red maned mare to cry out so loud it echoed in the surrounding hills...

[colour=#800080]"HAYWIRE!!!!!!"[/colour]

Carrot Top could see that Hayseed's embarrassment was growing. It was bad enough that he was nervous around her, something she didn't fully know why, but add to the fact that his sisters were nearby.

[colour=#ff8c00]"Well, I'd really like to see this surprise you have in this shed of yours," [/colour]she said liking the mystery of it all.

Before she could do anything else, the two sisters were at it again, Haywire suddenly disappearing and Haymaker suddenly shouting so loud that it left Carrot's ears ringing.

[colour=#ff8c00]"Um... so... about that surprise?" [/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Oh yeah! Sounds like a good idear!" [/colour]Hayseed neighed with a nod, happily leading Carrot Top away from his feuding sisters. [colour=#0000ff]"Don't pay mah sisters no mind, they're always bickerin' and fussin' amongst themselves. I can't wait ta show ya mah surprise! Been workin' on this since we met up back at Filthy Rich's Barnyard Bargains store! I like doin' projects out here in mah shed, away from Haywire 'n Haymaker. Don't git me wrong, I love mah sisters, but sometimes they get git on mah nerves. Well, here it is!"[/colour]

Hayseed opened the door of the shed to reveal a table covered by a white tablecloth, hiding a large object beneath it.

[colour=#0000ff]"Now it's time fer the grand unvealin'!" [/colour]the brown furred stallion neighed, grabbing the top of the tablecloth with his teeth and then pulling it away with a mighty yank. Underneath, sitting on the table was a nearly lifesize wood carving in the shape of Carrot Top. The craftsmanship was incredible, a very skillfully carved likeness.

[colour=#0000ff]"Really hope ya likes it, Miss Carrot Top," [/colour]Hayseed said with a toothy grin, just as Haywire galloped by the shed and snatched the white tablecloth with her teeth as the rust coloured filly ran by.

[colour=#b22222]"Need ta borrey this, thanks big brother!" [/colour]she quipped, running seconds ahead of the fast pursuing Haymaker.

[colour=#0000ff]"Er, jist ignore them two, what do ya think of it?" [/colour]the farm stallion asked when suddenly in the distance, Haymaker let out a loud scream as the lanky red maned mare was seen galloping in the opposite direction.

[colour=#800080]"SCARY GHOST! BIG SCARY GHOST! RUN FER YUR LIVES! HEAD FER THE HILLS! EVERY PONY FER THEMSELF!" [/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Wait a minute, there ain't no scary ghosts round here," [/colour]Hayseed said sternly when he heard a familiar laugh nearby. It was then he spotted Haywire, taking off the white sheet she'd been wearing before the blank flank filly begin to roll over on the ground laughing herself silly.

[colour=#0000ff]"Oh boy..." [/colour]Hayseed sighed, rolling his eyes in bewilderment.

Carrot Top eagerly awaited to see what was in the shed. Her curiosity was peaked when she learned that not only was this project not in his house but also that it was something that he had been working on since the last time she met him. She could only guess it had something to do with her, but what exactly it was she could only wait and see.

[colour=#ff8c00]"Well I can understand having this project somewhere safe especially from your sisters," [/colour]Carrot said as they journeyed around the house, [colour=#ff8c00]"They seem really good at getting in trouble and having fun!" [/colour]

Carrot then saw the mysterious object that was under a sheet. The stallion certainly had a great sense of mystery! She waited with the excitement of a filly during a birthday party with all her presents. Finally she thought she was going to explode with anticipation if Hayseed was going to hold her in suspense any longer. With a pull of the cloth, Carrot gasped at what she saw.

It was her... well... a model of her done in wood. It wasn't just her head, but her entire form! Hayseed seemed to have an eye for detail and a photographic memory as the stallion seemed to capture the most minute of details. Every curl of her mane and tail, every curve of her body, even her cutie mark were artfully copied over. Carrot wondered what was going on in the stallion's mind when he was shaping her form out of wood. She could only imagine the rosy cheeks he'd have considering how embarrassed he was just meeting her. Although she wasn't an artist she knew that figure drawing or sculpting was one of the most personal forms of art.

[colour=#ff8c00]"Do I like it," [/colour]she said to Hayseed, [colour=#ff8c00]"I love it! It's exactly like me! Come here you."[/colour]

Carrot wrapped her forelegs around the stallion and gave him a big hug of affection as Haywire grabbed the white sheet and ran around like a ghost. She really didn't pay much attention to the two sisters playing. All she could think of was him and that wonderful gift he made.

Hayseed gave out a sigh of relief that his sisters' crazy antics hadn't spoiled the moment. The brown furred stallion blushed a bit in Carrot Top's embrace.

[colour=#0000ff]"Ah shucks, Miss Carrot Top," [/colour]Hayseed said with a beaming smile on his face, [colour=#0000ff]"sure am happy ya like it so much. I'll even help ya carry it home with ya, when ya wanna go, that is."[/colour]

Haywire continued laughing, rolling around in the grass until the blonde filly roll was stopped, by a pair of familiar looking forelegs. Looking up at her angry sister, all the rust coloured filly could mutter was [colour=#b22222]"Uh oh!"[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Uh oh is RIGHT, Haywire!" [/colour]Haymaker snorted. [colour=#800080]"I'm gonna ground ya fer so long, yur gonna have ta have yur weddin' at our barn!"[/colour]

[colour=#b22222]"Nevermind all that, LOOKIE OVER YONDER!" [/colour]Haywire neighed, pointing over at the shed where both ladies could now see Hayseed getting hugged by Carrot Top.

[colour=#800080]"Well, at least our brother's havin' a good time today, right Haywire? Haywire?" [/colour]the lanky red maned mare asked as she looked all around for her little sister, who had mysteriously vanished again. [colour=#800080]"HAYWIRE!!!!!"[/colour]

[colour=#ff8c00]"Well I'm happy that you're happy that I'm happy," [/colour]Carrot Top said with a giggle, [colour=#ff8c00]"And thanks for helping me carry it. I think that might be too heavy for me to get home safely without aching later on." [/colour]

She then looked around the farm to get a sense of the place. It was a very big farm, not as big as Sweet Apple Acres, but definitely bigger than her small carrot farm.

[colour=#ff8c00]"So, can I have a nice stallion show me around this farm," [/colour]she asked with a wink.

[colour=#0000ff]"Why sure, Miss Carrot Top! I'd love ta show ya around!" [/colour]Hayseed neighed happily. [colour=#0000ff]"We kin start over yonder with mah workshop!"[/colour]

The brown pelted farm stallion led Carrot Top over to a smaller looking barn that had it's door swung open. Inside were several wheeled pieces of farm equipment including two large plows and one mechanical haybailer. Along the walls hung many tools, belts and pulley assemblies.

[colour=#0000ff]"Here's where I work on all our equipment! You'd be surprised how much maintenance them things needs throughout the year! I even worked on the haybailer so it'll work a whole lot faster! The more haybales we kin make, the more we kin sell!"[/colour]

As Hayseed finished speaking, Haymaker trotted inside and began searching the barn.

[colour=#800080]"Have y'all seen Haywire?" [/colour]the lanky red maned mare asked. [colour=#800080]"I'll show HER fer tryin' ta scare the livin' daylights outta me!"[/colour]

[colour=#0000ff]"Nope, she ain't in here, sis, jist me'n Miss Carrot Top!"[/colour]

[colour=#800080]"Well, if'n ya DO see her, TIE'R UP TIGHT WITH ROPE TILL I GIT THAR!" [/colour]Haymaker roared before leaving the barn.

[colour=#0000ff]"Er.. reckon I kin show ya some other places round here.." [/colour]Hayseed said, trying his best to hide his embarrassment of his sisters' antics.

Carrot Top followed Hayseed into the one building which the stallion said was his workshop. From what she could tell, this was his favorite part of the farm, apart from being with his sisters. The place was very orderly for being a large shed, everything in its place and very little if any dirt or grime. Her main attention was directed towards the large hay baler that was supposed to operate faster thanks to Hayseed's ingenuity.

"Wow, I can see how you love working here. I understand how things can break down or need to be resharpened or fine tunes. This baler is really neat! If only there was something to pluck carrots from the grounds and I'd be able to work in half the time!"

The two ponies' time together was broken by Haymaker asking about Haywire appearing.

"I guess you'll have to keep Haymaker away from the baler then if she wants to tie up Haywire," Carrot said with a chuckle seeing how embarrassed Hayseed was getting with his sisters interrupting him being with her, "Anyway, where to next?"

Hayseed was very pleased that his sisters' 'normal' behavior hadn't dampened Carrot Top's mood. He also smiled when he heard her mention wanting to have a farm machine that could pluck carrots.

"Y'know Miss Carrot Top, I love a good challenge!" the brown pelted stallion neighed. "If'n I put mah head ta it, maybe I could come up with a carrot pickin' machine of some sort! But fer now, how about I show ya the main storage barn?"

Hayseed led the way to a much bigger barn many paces behind the main 'farmhouse' barn. Grabbing one of the ropes holding the swinging doors with his teeth, he quickly pulled it open to reveal that the spacious barn was about half full of square haybales.

"Here's where we store our hay! Got a good bunch of it to deliver still, most of what's in here's going ta places in Ponyville. I done took a big load over ta Fillydelphia last week, they're one of our biggest customers! I've hauled our hay as fer away as Manehattan and even ta Canterlot a few times. Our Hay Family hay's the highest quality, care ta sample some?"

As he spoke, there was a sudden scream that filled the air.

"Sakes alive! That thar sounds like Haymaker agin! Foller me!" Hayseed shouted as he trotted off in the direction of the screams, only to discover his oldest sister, suspended by one of her back legs by a rope, dangling from a sturdy oak tree.

"Whatcha doin' up thar, sis?"

"I must be in another one of Haywire's stupid traps! GIT ME DOWN NOW!" the red maned mare yelled as Haywire rushed up to her.

"Hay sis! Whatcha doin' in mah Timberwolf trap? Didn't ya read the sign I put out in front'a it?"

"I'll Timberwolf trap YOU, ya troublemakin' filly!"

"Er, uh oh, gotta go y'all! I think I need ta go feed the chickens er, er somethin' like that!" the blank flank filly neighed as she scampered off.

"COME BACK HERE HAYWIRE!" Haymaker yelled before turning her gaze back to her brother. "Don't jist stand thar, git me down NOW!"

"But sis, I gotta do this careful like er ya could git hurt and.."

"CUT ME DOWN NOW! I DEMAND IT!"

"If ya say so," a relucant Hayseed said, instantly biting the rope in two and bringing his older sister down to the grass in a heap.

"HAY YA CLUMSY OX!" Haymaker shouted before getting back on her four feet. "I'll deal with ya later, AFTER I catch that renegade sister of mine!"

Carrot Top smiled at Hayseed's interest in helping her, even making the proposed carrot picking machine.

"Oh that was just thinking out loud about having a carrot picking machine," she said to the stallion, "I don't want to bother you with all the work you have here on the farm, especially this place is way bigger than my little old carrot farm."

The orange manned mare then followed him into a storage barn filled with stacks of hay piled to the ceiling in some places. She listened as Hayseed with pride spoke about his business.

"Wow, you deliver hay all the way down to Fillydelphia? That's amazing! I guess I'm just not used to that, going to other places, as what I sell is mainly to ponies in Ponyville, and maybe a few in Canterlot, Solstice Heights, and Trottingham if I'm lucky."

Before she could sample the hay, she heard a scream. It wasn't the ones she was now accustomed to of her sisters yelling and chasing each other but one where somepony was in danger. Following Hayseed, she could see that Haymaker was tied up in what Haywire said was a Timberwolf trap. Quickly Hayseed's sister was freed, albeit not the most graceful way.

"Are you sure that wasn't a pony trap Haywire," she said with a chuckle, "Are you ok Haymaker?"

Haymaker's rage soon vanished at Carrot Top's question about her well being.

"Oh, yes, I'm fine, Miss Carrot Top," the lanky red maned mare said, trying to force a polite smile on her face.

"Good ta hear that, sis, and I'll bet Haywire'll wanna thank ya fer demonstratin' her Timberwolf trap fer her, right?" Hayseed asked, giving her a quick wink.

"Oh yeah, right. Sure! Had that planned all along! Hope ya enjoyed that, demonstration. Now if y'all will excuse me, I need ta, REPORT ta mah little sister," Haymaker said as she slowly backed out of the barn and then galloped off in search of her elusive younger sister.

"Well, anyhow Miss Carrot Top, wanna see our grist mill? It's not all that big, but it works real well. I designed it mahsalf!"

Carrot Top smiled at the mare happy that she was ok. The orange manned earth pony didn't want to belabor the point further as she could see that Haymaker was already annoyed and embarassed.

"Alright see you later Haymarker," she said as the mare galloped off to find her sister.

Hayseed then explained the next place he wanted to show her. She was about to follow him when she stopped.

"Oh wait, before we go I want to try something," she said as she returned to the hay barn. Selecting a few strands of hay from a nearby bale she tasted the fruits of the stallion's efforts. The hay was very fresh and crunchy, not exceptionally chewy and very sweet like candy.

"Wow, this hay tastes amazing! It so sweet like the baby carrots I grow. I'm sure lots of ponies will love this batch you have stored here."

Hayseed smiled at Carrot Top's compliments about the family hay.

"Glad ya like it, Miss Carrot Top," the brown coated farm stallion said dreamily, "I'll give ya some bales ta take home with ya. Hay! Where are mah manners? If'n yur hungry, I kin go inta the kitchen an' fix ya some food. Usually I do all the cookin' here since mah sisters ain't all that good at it. Haywire tries, but her last attempt at bakin' biscuits blew up our oven. Said it was somethin' ta do with mixin' up the Bakin' Powder from her own black powder. Oh boy was Haymaker MAD! She startin' thrown them survivin' biscuits at Haywire, but she quit when she saw'm explodin' on impact! And Haymaker does try ta cook, but her last attempt at hayloaf was so bad even our critters wouldn't eat it when we tossed it out in the yard. So, like I say, if'n ya want me to whip up a snack fer ya, or if ya wanna stoip here and jist eat some more hay, that's fine and dandy with me!"

Hayseed wanted to make the Earth mare happy, and he hoped that his sister's horseplay wouldn't ruin their time together.

Carrot Top stared dreamily at the stallion who was so nice to her. Granted the orange manned mare knew kindness from others in Ponyville, but nothing like this! The earth pony had fallen head over hooves for her, like everything she said or did was magic. Every compliment and loving gesture made her heart flutter a little as the earth mare felt like a Princess.

She noticed though that Hayseed was getting now too nervous, offering bales of hay and a dinner as he spoke nonstop to her. It was as if he was afraid of losing her, that one false move would mean the end of their relationship.

"Hayseed," Carrot said putting her forehoof lovingly on his muzzle, "I like you, a lot actually, and I know you're giving me things and such, but if you're worried about doing something that'll make me upset, I want to let you know that I'm not going anywhere. It takes a lot for me to get upset, and how can I be with such a nice stallion? So don't worry Hayseed, you already won this mare's heart!" <3

Apologies for the sappy romance. I was working on a romance fanfic and I guess i was on a roll with this one.

"I did?" Hayseed asked in nervous shock. "Wow Miss Carrot Top! That's the nicest thing any mare's ever said ta me."

The brown farm stallion smiled widely.

"I'm really fond of ya too! I really likes bein' around ya! I ain't never felt this way about a mare before!"

As he stared lovingly into her eyes, The mood was broken as a galloping Haywire darted between them.

"Cuse me, Comin' through!" the filly quipped as she ran towards the stacked hay bales just as her furious sister followed her inside.

"THIS time I gotcha!" Haymaker yelled, following the blank flank filly to the stacked haybales. Looking up, she spotted her sister standing on the top of the stacks.

"Can't catch me, sis!" Haywire announced.

"Ya onry little filly! I'll git ya down the HARD way!" the lanky red maned mare shouted as she punched the bottom of the hayhale stack.

"STOP SIS! YUR GONNA TOPPLE THE WHOLE THING!" Hayseed shouted just as his older sister gave the stack one more powerful hoof punch. The haybale stack Haywire stood on top of began to fall. Haywire just shouted "WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!" as the haybales fell. The rust colored filly landed softly on a big haybale while Haymaker ended up buried beneath a pile of haybales.

"Haymaker! You alright?"

"GIT ME OUTTA HERE!" the muffled voice of Haymaker shouted out.

"I told her not to do that," Hayseed said, shaking his head in anguish.

Carrot Top smiled at the stallion's response. Although she was never somepony who devoted her life to finding love, there were times when she was alone that she wondered about having a special somepony in her life. It appeared that she was given a gift, a chance to meet the wonderful stallion in front of her now, and even better that stallion loved her as much as she loved him!

"You know, I'm very fond of you and like being around you too. And I've never felt the same way with anypony like you."

As the two stared into each other's eyes, Carrot Top wanted to be in that state of love and bliss forever. Yet the sounds of Haymaker and Haywire squabbling broke the mood. She quickly jumped out of the way as a hay bale fell inches away from her! She could see the mounting frustration on her lover's face that his sisters were ruining the romance.

"Hang on Haymaker. I'll help get you out."

With that the earth mare started to remove a hay bale from the pile, getting ever closer to freeing the mare.

Hayseed let out a heavy sigh as he watched Carrot Top begin to move hay bales to free his unlucky sister.

"Stay still sis, we're gonna git ya out," the brown stallion spoke out as he helped move more of the haybales out of the way until between himself and his very special somepony, they reach a very embarrassed looking Haymaker.

"Carrot Top, Hayseed, I'm awful surry to have messed up yur time together," Haymaker said as the red maned mare got back up on her feet.

"I'm surry too, guys," added Haywire, who came out of her hiding place with her head bowed low.

"Look, can't y'all jist git along fer one day? One day soes I kin spend some time with Miss Carrot Top in peace? Please?"

The two siblings look up at their brother and his lady friend, then at each other, and then back at them.

"Ok we'll do it, won't we Haywire?"

"Sure thing, big sis!" the rust colored filly neighed as they shared a warm hug.

"C'mon sis, you kin help me bake some oat bread."

"You got it!" the blond filly said as the two left the barn together.

"Whew! That's a relief," Hayseed said as he gazed upon Carrot Top. "Mah sisters ain't so bad, and they really do love each other. But thar's times they do have their, disagreements."

Carrot and Hayseed managed to remove the hay bales from Haymaker who appeared very ashamed that she acted out especially in front of the orange manned mare.

"That's ok you two," Carrot said to the two sisters, "I know you two were just playing."

She let her special somepony handle what was to happen next as after all it was his sisters. Yet it seemed that that Haywire and Haymaker were able to settle their differences and would be giving the two some space.

"Oh I don't mind them at all. I can see they love each other just as they love you. Actually it's fun to see. I don't have any brothers or sisters so it was just me and my parents growing up, so seeing how siblings interact is neat."

She looked at the hay bales and a thought came to mind.

"Speaking of hay, how did you realize that hay farming was your talent and what got your cutie mark?"

"Well Miss Carrot Top, me and mah sisters have always worked this hay farm," Hayseed started to explain. "An' I was always follerin' mom and dad around when they was workin' in the fields. I always felt like hay farmin' was mah destiny, kinda like the way birds know thar job's flyin' and beavers jist know they're supposed ta build dams. How I got mah cutie mark was the day long ago of our hay harvest an' mom and dad were so sick they couldn't git outta bed. The harvest hadda come in and it was up ta me and Haymaker to bring it in by ourselves, Haywire wasn't born yet. I knew we couldn't do it without help, so that's when I build our first haybailer. With me and Haymaker pullin' it together, we got the job done and that's when I got mah cutie mark! Haymaker got really jealous cause I got mah cutie mark before she did, and she punched me. Course, she got hers at school later that week, but that's another story."

Hayseed smiled at Carrot Top before asking, "Fair is fair, Miss Carrot Top, how did ya git yur cutie mark?"

Carrot Top listened to Hayseed tell his story about how he got his mark. She could almost picture her special somepony as a colt, which made her smile a little imagining him galloping through the fields of hay. She heard a couple of times when ponies at that age were forced to prove themselves in the most dire of times and upon succeeding got their cutie marks as a reward. Hayseed seemed to be like that, using ingenuity to fix a problem.

Wow, that's a great story. I guess it was your inventing that helped you save the day and get your mark."

Carrot Top smiled when Hayseed mentioned something about getting back at her sister, but that would have to wait as it was time for the mare to tell her story.

"Well Hayseed, my story about getting my mark is kind of the same. My family lived here in Ponyville, just mom, dad, and of course me. My parents own a vegetable farm, which not to toot my own horn is the best in the area. We grew everything like cabbage, potatoes, broccoli, and of course carrots. I guess like you I figured that my cutie mark would be something about farming. I thought that maybe it would be related to my favorite vegetable, the carrot, so one day I asked my parents if i could have a little spot on the farm to plant my own garden of carrots. They were happy to honor my request and I set to plowing, planting, weeding, and watering my little garden. Days passed and I didn't see any carrots and thought that maybe my hoof wasn't as green as I thought. Then sure enough one day I awoke to see all these little carrot shoots popping up! My parents were amazed that so many carrots grew, and these were the biggest carrots they've seen! Well after that successful harvest I got my own carrots right here!"

With that Carrot turned to proudly show her mark of three carrots.

Hayseed listened intently to the love of his life as she spoke. The more Carrot Top spoke, the wider the brown farm pony's grinned.

"That sure is a wonderful story, Miss Carrot Top," the stallion said as moved closer to her. "You an' me sure got a lot in common. I hope yur likin' this here tour of the farm so far. Jist bein' with you is makin' this the best day of mah life!"

Now Hayseed was as a loss for words. He was so charmed by the farm mare's beauty and thrilled by her presence that he was all nervous inside, not sure what to say or what to do next.

"Awww thank you," Carrot Top said as Hayseed commented on her story, "I agree that the more that I get to know you, the more we seemed to share a lot of things. I have to admit that I was never the type of mare to believe in love at first sight, but you sure broke that idea! I definitely like learning about your place and family. tHis has been the best day for me."

She could see the stallion standing close to her, at a loss of anything else to say while admiring her beauty. As if on instinct, Carrot turned and planted a kiss on his cheek, one that was quick, but enough to let him know how she felt about him.

"So, how about you show me around the rest of your farm," she said acting like the kiss was no big deal even though she knew to him that it was.

Archived