Fighting is Magic?

kinkamina

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about Mane6 or The Fighting is magic Game since the Cease and Desist order from hasbro.

I know They said they would continue it with different characters instead, (and I think I remember something about Faust helping them out...),

but since then... I haven't heard nothing.

Chime in wit comments/questions?

o3o

Basically what happened is that after Mane6 got Hasbro'd, Lauren Faust offered her help in creating entirely new, uncopyright-infringe-able ponies that Mane6 could use. Straight after that the developers of a crowdfunded game,Skullgirls, made one of their stretch goals to allow Mane6 to use their engine free.

So far, with Skullgirls hitting their stretch goal (their game is actually quite fun, the engine works fine), nothing else (as far as I can Google-fu) has been revealed since.

Basically what happened is that after Mane6 got Hasbro'd, Lauren Faust offered her help in creating entirely new, uncopyright-infringe-able ponies that Mane6 could use. Straight after that the developers of a crowdfunded game,Skullgirls, made one of their stretch goals to allow Mane6 to use their engine free.

So far, with Skullgirls hitting their stretch goal (their game is actually quite fun, the engine works fine), nothing else (as far as I can Google-fu) has been revealed since.

Hm. Sounds like everything is workin out fine with them.

Gonna miss Twi's Ubber magic cannon. And book slap. XD

* nostalgic mode activated*

... Remember when They Debuted at Evo?

Still love watchin the Videos.

Applejack was so Op.

o3o

Hm. Sounds like everything is workin out fine with them.

Gonna miss Twi's Ubber magic cannon. And book slap. XD

* nostalgic mode activated*

... Remember when They Debuted at Evo?

Still love watchin the Videos.

Applejack was so Op.

o3o

Good times, good times. They never even finished Fluttershy.

Nah... Then I think they woulda got slapped with a lawsuit.

Better they did what they did.

No.

There are many, many fan games that are made and in the wild, some of which feature terribly objectionable content that Hasbro could sue over but haven't. Cease and desist is meant to stop a game from seeing the light of day in the end, and in that way Fighting is Magic failed. If you want to complete a high level fangame, you need to just not say anything until you're ready to at the very least release something to the general public.

No.

There are many, many fan games that are made and in the wild, some of which feature terribly objectionable content that Hasbro could sue over but haven't. Cease and desist is meant to stop a game from seeing the light of day in the end, and in that way Fighting is Magic failed. If you want to complete a high level fangame, you need to just not say anything until you're ready to at the very least release something to the general public.

Okay. Fine. They Screwed up.

But there could have been a number of reasons for their decision.

So we really don't know.

It got too big, too public, and in some minor way could have potentially possibly caused an issue with copyright.

I'd be entertained if they were just working on it, secret and safe, and then just released it under some other psuedonym or another, and disowned any part in the finished product. Sure, they wouldn't get the credit for it - but for some people, it's more about the work rather than the recognition you receive for it. Seeing it out there, and knowing people're enjoying it, I imagine that'd be recognition enough in and of itself.

Of course, this is playing with the idea that they'd try that approach - which I doubt they would.

I completely agree Mane6 went way too public with it. It's not like Hasbro wants to kill off stuff like this, they have to by law in order to maintain rights to the property, not to mention keep their investors happy. Bringing a game like this to a big public event like EVO literally gave them no choice but to swing the axe.

I'm on death watch for other hyped projects that are fan-made, like that pony MMO (Legends of Equestria?). That game is begging for a C&D with a big, blinking sign.

However, Mane6 is developing a completely new game with Lauren Faust heading character design. I think birthing a new property that could be potentially amazing -- not to mention a higher-quality end product since they they were given a professionally developed engine by the Skullgirls developers. It sucks that Fighting is Magic was euthanized before it could be fully realized and embraced, but as a result we'll get something completely new.

I completely agree Mane6 went way too public with it. It's not like Hasbro wants to kill off stuff like this, they have to by law in order to maintain rights to the property, not to mention keep their investors happy. Bringing a game like this to a big public event like EVO literally gave them no choice but to swing the axe.

I'm on death watch for other hyped projects that are fan-made, like that pony MMO (Legends of Equestria?). That game is begging for a C&D with a big, blinking sign.

However, Mane6 is developing a completely new game with Lauren Faust heading character design. I think birthing a new property that could be potentially amazing -- not to mention a higher-quality end product since they they were given a professionally developed engine by the Skullgirls developers. It sucks that Fighting is Magic was euthanized before it could be fully realized and embraced, but as a result we'll get something completely new.

I'm sure after the new game by Mane6 is release, we'll soon see a mod that puts the ponies back into the game. :)

Yeah, that MMO actually looks interesting - now to just hope that the fandom learns from the Fighting is Magic case.

Once the MMO is out of beta, I'll be playing on it. :D

• 4 weeks later...

For another example of a great game that got axed, check around for the Streets of Rage Remake. They got up to V5 before SEGA jumped on them with both feet. It was all over a donate link on Bomber Games' website that was completely unrelated to SoRR. They thought they were profiting off the game when they weren't at all. Still V5 is quite complete and runs beautifully.

Archived