A Tour of Canterlot (Raridash, Rabukurafuto)

Rabukurafuto

Wheat Grass

Canterlot. Graceful, towering alabaster buildings topped with golden conical roofs loomed over well-dressed ponies of all kinds. Shops catering to the wealthy elite enticed with their pricy wares. Everything was big there, big and sophisticated, yet there was an elegance to it all, the layout almost organic the way it sprang from the mountain.

Wheat Grass was thoroughly intimidated by it. Compared to their little farm and the woodlands surrounding it, Canterlot was just too much to take in, too materialistic, too artificial. She didn't know where to begin in such a place, and it felt so cold compared to the natural splendour of the forest. In addition, Wheat was obviously an outsider; a glance at her worn poncho and dusty coat separated her from the Canterlot natives.

So this is how our Goops for Stuff will find its appreciators, Wheat thought, pulling the old cart full of Goops for Stuff samples behind her. What would she do if Goops became a best-seller in Canterlot? Would she need to move to Canterlot, overseeing some huge factory endlessly churning out Goops? It seemed to her that manufacturing Goops on such a large scale took the charm out of it. The stuff was hoof-made from all-natural products. Surely a factory couldn't replicate that quality!

"Where do I even begin, though?" Wheat asked herself. She had to admit, it was foolish to arrive alone. Was there anypony who would help her though?

The majesty of Canterlot was not something Rarity could ever truly tire of. As her star continued to rise in the fashion world, she had been spending an increasing amount of time in the fair capital of Equestria. She was there on business at the moment, meeting with some of the contacts she had made through Fancy Pants about one of her ensembles being featured in a coming Canterlot fashion show. With her business completed, she wasn't intending to stick around all too long as she had much to do back at the boutique, but just as she was making her way through the city streets, she happened to catch sight of an all too familiar friendly face.

She had met Wheat Grass at the "spa" she operated with her husband Flax Seed. After an unusual and not entirely pleasant series of events involving the two free-spirited ponies and their friends, Rarity utilized her business acumen to help revitalize their woefully misguided business plan into something that would turn a profit, focused on their Goops--stunningly effective and refreshing beauty products. She had taken the couple to Canterlot for a show and their product had been a smash hit that night.

She was sure that that would have been enough to set Wheat and Flex right for life. It seemed they had met the right ponies and would have made the right connections to market penetration... and yet here was Wheat Grass, pushing a cart and looking all too aimless. Rarity supposed she hadn't gone far enough with these two after all; it was apparent to anyone that, despite their excellent product the two of them didn't have a lot of sense-- that was at the root of their predicament in the first place. The least she could do at this point was offer a helping hoof.

"Wheat Grass, darling. It's been far too long!" Rarity called out to the mare as she made her approach. "What a surprise it is to run into you here in Canterlot."

Wheat blinked at the familiar voice, and noticed Rarity of all ponies trotting up to her. She gave a relieved smile—there was nopony else Wheat needed more than the white Unicorn from Ponyville when it came to traveling in Canterlot!

"Rarity!" she greeted, moving forward a few steps closer. "I'm so glad to see you here! I just—well, Canterlot is a bit frightening to me. So many offers for Goops and I don't know who to trust."

She gave a heavy sigh, her shoulders sagging. "I just haven't been able to find my inner peace here. It's effecting my judgement."

Wheat perked up a bit and looked straight at Rarity. "I'm sorry; I must sound selfish going on about my problems like that. What brings you to Canterlot?"

Rarity smiled and nodded to the concerned mare. She supposed she shouldn't have been too surprised. Wheat Grass had long lived her life on that goop farm without any real need to face society. It made so much sense that she wouldn't even know where to start. Canterlot was a big place, and to a pony so unfamiliar with it, it was doubtless to be a daunting place to be. Really it was a relief that she was simply lost and not being taken advantage of by some shifty somepony only out to profit.

"I'm here on business, darling. I just secured a spot for one of my ensemble designs in a major upcoming fashion show!" she said excitedly, nodding her head.

"Of course, that's all taken care of now," she added, smiling. "So, it would be my absolute pleasure to help you find your bearings here in Canterlot."

She gave a fond laugh and nodded. "Don't think it selfish either. We all need help when faced with something so new, and as a friend, I'd be nothing but pleased to offer you a helping hoof."

It was exactly what Wheat needed to hear. A friend intimately familiar with the ins and outs of Canterlot offering to help her. While the accumulation of karma wasn't good in the long run, she must have built up some good karma to be so blessed.

"Oh, bless you, Rarity!" Wheat told her, throwing her forelegs around Rarity in a friendly embrace. "That would help me so much. I promise to repay you!"

Stepping back, she looked around a bit, glancing at her supplies. Perhaps she would let Rarity use the Goops in any way she wished. "So, what do you like to do in Canterlot?" she asked. If she was going to be there she might as well learn from the expert about all the good things to do.

• 3 weeks later...

Rarity grinned and gave a soft nod. She was tempted to insist again that there was no need for Wheat to repay her, that one friend choosing to help another when she needed it was entirely natural and needed no reward, but she could tell she'd just end up having to repeat herself. It was quite likely that Wheat was still too unaccustomed to anyone outside the small familiar community of the goop farm going out of their way for her. She supposed she could understand and respect that, even if she truly acted without expectations of getting anything in return.

At the other mare's question, Rarity smirked and gave a small laugh. It was certainly a broad question. Canterlot had been a transfixing place for her throughout her life. There were few parts of it she didn't personally enjoy. It was kind of hard to give a definite answer since so many things came to mind all at once.

"Well... Canterlot is truly a city of innumerable possibilities. Personally, when I'm in town I can't help but scope out the boutiques--it truly helps to know what approaches other designers are taking, and sometimes I'll see something so adorable I simply can't resist buying it for myself!" Rarity started eagerly. "I also enjoy breaking bread with friends and colleagues here, attending art shows, watching the Wonderbolts ... oh and the libraries in this city are unreal! Every time I visit one, I find a new reference that leaves me absolutely inspired!"

"Oh my," Wheat chuckled nervously, "that's so much to start with! This truly is your city, Rarity."

Really, it was almost too much choice. Wheat couldn't understand how everypony was able to make up their minds on what to do. It made her all the more grateful for her simple life. She was still rather curious about what Rarity liked to buy though. Perhaps it would help her understand how to sell their product in Canterlot.

"Do you think it necessary for me to blend in better?" Wheat asked. "I might want to see one of these 'boutiques' and find out what you think is adorable. This could be helpful in bringing attention to Goops."

• 1 month later...
Rarity smiled at the comment that Canterlot was her city. She supposed there was some veracity to that. The city certainly suited her, and she did feel very much at home there. She knew Ponyville was her true home though. As great as Canterlot was, she would never think to leave behind all that she had built back home with Carousel.

At the question of blending in, Rarity shook her head. "I don't think anypony should ever have to change herself just to fit in. Be yourself, darling. Maybe the ponies here won't ever truly understand you, but that's better than pretending just to make a sale."

"I would be more than pleased to show you to one of my favored boutiques in town, however," she said with a nod and smiled. "Just follow me. There's one right near by with just gorgeous designs!"

Thinking it over, she was quite excited to be showing a friend around Canterlot. Maybe she'd find something nice in the process too? She'd be sure to keep her eyes open. Either way, she was sure this was going to be a fun time.

Wheat nodded a Rarity's response, thinking it over. "You're right; by standing out I'll be bound to bring more attention to myself. Not everypony may like me, but at least a few will be curious!"

Still, she was interested to see what the boutiques were like, and what Rarity would dress up in. She followed after her, knowing an inventive pony like Rarity could put together interesting combinations. Glancing at her own dusty clothes, she wondered what they would look like on Rarity.

• 4 weeks later...
Rarity nodded at the mare as she continued along.

"That is entirely the right spirit, darling," she said in a warm tone. "I'm sure there are many ponies in this town who would find a mare like you downright charming, just as you are."

After trotting a short distance more, the two of them found themselves in front of a small but classy looking building with a large glass window. Set up in the window was a dress form wearing a flowing red dress and a quite small matching hat. It was simple and elegant design, smooth shape, bold red color with a few highlights of white.

"Here it is, Contour. One of my favorite boutiques in the city. They have a bold approach, quite similar to what I try and do with my Carousel in fact. Their designs are elegant, with a keen eye on the classic looks, but they're not obsessed with excess, nor are they afraid to try new and different things," Rarity explained with a nod. "And while they're not one of the biggest, most trend setting names in the Canterlot scene, all the magazines agree they're one of the best shops in the city for the money."

"Shall we take a quick look inside?" Rarity then asked, wanting to make sure she had her friend's attention as she grabbed for the door.

So this is like what Rarity makes...

Wheat looked at the dress in the window with awe. It was so excessive by her standards, but Rarity claimed they weren't obsessed with going overboard! All that work for just a dress, and they probably were difficult to clean and maintain compared to Wheat's pancho. Was that worth wearing? Yet, the craftsmanship on it was immense. Whoever made the dress clearly had skill. Perhaps a rich enough pony had an army of workers to carry out the making of dresses, but did Rarity make them all by herself? That was truly awe inspiring. In a way, Wheat saw the dresses not as clothing but as art pieces.

"Shall we take a quick look inside?"

"Yes, let's," Wheat answered, curious to see more. Rarity claimed they did different things. what sort of variety was there?

Archived