A Guard in the Garden (Open)

Lux

The Gala was in full swing within the castle as Night Watcher walked through the garden dressed in a silvery looking dress. It was an odd experience, going to a major event without being assigned to it to guard, especially since the Gala lasted through the night. But the powers that be decided that some guards would have the night off, and so the jet black Pegasus was now here in this event feeling very awkward.

"Why is this so hard for me," she said, "I know I have the night off but I can't seem to enjoy myself. Even being in this dress feels weird, like I feel more comfortable in armor. Am I that devoted to my duty as a Lunar Guard that I can't relax for a night? Do I need to learn how to loosen up?"

She sighed as she looked at her reflection in a pool, wondering if there was more to her than a guardspony, waiting to be revealed.

sml_gallery_475_9_8090.jpgMojo

All of the commotion inside of the Royal Castle proved too much for Mojo. The hippie brony normally shyed away from big parties, but he came to support his nervous friend, Starflower. Wondering out into the garden area, the Paint stallion spotted a jet black furred Pegasus mare in a silvery dress. The sight took Mojo's breath away. Such a beautiful mare! He just had to meet her! Trotting casually up to Night Watcher, the observant Earth Pony noticed she seemed to be a little sad. Mojo decided to try to cheer her up.

"Greetings, ma'am," he spoke softly. "Mojo's me name, and forgive the forwardness, but ya seem a little down. Perhaps I can help, I've been told I'm quite a dandy listener."

Night Watcher heard the sounds of hoof beats approaching and instinctively she looked up to see who it was. Granted she didn't think it was a threat, but her military side wasn't about to take any chances. What she saw was an earth pony stallion who looked as out of place as she did. She had her doubts that this pony was trying to flirt with her, something that a few Private ponies tried until they found out that she was their commanding officer! Yet this pony was willing to listen, so she had to give him credit for caring.

"I'm Staff Sergeant Night Watcher of the Lunar Guard," she said before realizing how much she sounded like introducing herself to another REA rather than a casual introduction, "But you can just call me Night Watcher. This isn't really a place for formalities like that."

When asked what was bothering her the jet black Pegasus wondered if it was a good idea to bear her soul to a stranger. Yet the pony did have an air of calmness to him, making the young mare who always seemed to be on high alert feel at ease.

"I'm not sure you can help Mojo, as my problem is complex. I'm a Lunar Guard, like I said, and I've devoted much of my life to it. I'm happy to protect Canterlot and the Princesses, but I realize that I don't know what life is like not being a soldier! I know it may sound silly, but I have trouble relaxing or having fun, or making friends or even a romance as my mind is always on military time. So, again I appreciate you listening, but I'm not sure how you can help."

Mojo gave Night Watcher an understanding smile.

"I do a lotta travelin' in me line of work, miss, and I've seen many a pony who shares your dilemma. Nuthin' wrong with bein' dedicated to yur job, that's groovy and I can really dig it. But there's gotta be some time ya need ta take every day ta relax, unwind, mellow out, if ya get me drift. Have ya ever taken the time to sit, look up inta the night sky, and just count the stars? Have ya ever taken a quiet walk in a garden like this, and admired all the flora and fauna around ya? Believe me, Night Watcher, as the Pony of Peace, I'm quite the expert on takin' it easy."

Night Watcher listened to the stallion's advice, wondering what help he could give. It wasn't like her problem could be fixed instantaneously.

"Well, I'm usually preoccupied with my guard duty, however there are times that I do look at the night sky and the town. So, I guess I'm not totally busy, but still it's hard to for me to relax."

Something struck her as odd about the pony standing before him, something that he said.

"Wait,how are you the Pony of Peace? Are you a soldier?"

"Not at all, love, I'm no soldier," Mojo confessed, "I kinda got the rep for bein' a Peace Pony back in me foal days. For some odd reason, everytime I'd walk over ta feudin' classmates, they'd stop fightin' and listen to the things I'd have ta say about mellow'n out and seeking peace. As I grew up inta stallionhood, that same thing would happen a lot. See me peace sign cutie mark? All I'm tryin' ta say is, ya gotta learn how ta relax. If ya ;like, I can teach ya a few yoga stances that'll help ya chill out."

Night Watcher thought about what Mojo said. It was a great gift, helping ponies to remain peaceful, one that she didn't take lightly.

"Well that is a great talent you have. I believe we have this in common, promoting peace. Even though that isn't my talent, as a soldier I'm not interested in making war but in keeping the peace in Canterlot, especially at night. anyway, yes I'd like to learn how to relax if you can teach me. I'm not sure what this yoga is though, or what stances you want me to do."

"Well Night Watcher, how about I teach ya an easy one first," Mojo said as the Paint stallion as he assumed a seated position on the ground and crossed his hind legs. "Just follow me lead, you'll catch on quick as a whip!"

Mojo next closed his eyes, raised his front hooves up in the air and began a simple chant, repeating the word "UUUUMMMM!" slowly as he sat down, hoping the guard mare would join him there.

Night Watcher followed suit as she sat on the ground, taking care not to mess her one and only dress while doing so. The jet black Pegasus was by no means a girly mare, but she did like to be nice. She then crossed her legs and held out her forelegs. She then closed her eyes and began to chant like Mojo was doing. The mare was certainly disciplined enough to carry out a simple exercise, yet in her mind she wondered how humming and sitting a certain way would help her relax and get more out into the world. And so she continued, hoping that there would be a change or that there was something else that the earth pony wanted her to do.

"Clear your mind," Mojo said bewteen the repetitive chanting, "think of nothing else, feel the serenity of peace flooding in.."

The Paint stallion continued the stance and the chanting, hoping the uptight mare would learn to relax and release her inner tensions. The hippie brony was patient, knowing that yoga takes time to perfect and a lifetime to master.

"Feel the peace, release your stress....." he added.

NIght Watcher listened as more instructions came from the Paint pony. Clearing her mind was going to be a monumental task as her mind was always busy thinking about tasks for the day while ever on alert for a pony in need. But she tried to clear those thoughts out, of drills and deadlines, and her daily training and just be her. At that point she felt a strange sense of nothingness, just her with nothing else attached. As she concentrated, she tried to let the stress out of stressful life.

"Release the stress," she said as she let the daily stress roll off her, hoping that she was doing this right.

"That's it, doll, yur doin' it," Mojo said gently, "let all that stress and tension float away... away... away..."

As the Paint stallion peaked at the guard mare, still in his own yoga pose, a firecracker rocket streamed high above the garden and then exploded with a loud and colorful BOOM!!!!!!

The force of the sound spooked Mojo, causing him to yell out and jump up into the air before landing rather awkwardly on his belly, his four legs stretched out.

"Whoa! Wonder what that was? Maybe that winged mare with the rainbow mane's crackin' more Sonic Rainbooms! You alright, Night?"

If you want to know where the rocket came from, read here: http://www.canterlot.com/topic/16337-hhh-fillies-and-colts-at-the-gala-open/page__st__20

Night Watcher was finally feeling the stress in her body leave her, that whatever she was doing was working. Then something caught her attention, a certain word that the pony named Mojo uttered.

"Wait a minute, did you just call me doll," she said opening her eyes and looking over at the stallion who was staring intently, "Is this something you do to attract mares, get them alone in a place like a garden and try to sweet talk them with your words and this yoga thing?"

Before he could say anything, something flew overhead and exploded. Her mind went into alert mode, thinking the worst case scenario that Canterlot was under attack during such a big event. As she looked it looked like the thing that exploded was a firework.

"Yes, I'm fine, although you look like you saw something terrible."

"Sorry love, er, I mean, doll, oh dash it all, I meant ta say, Night," Mojo said as he got back up on all four feet. "Ya got me all wrong! I'm not tryin' ta charm ya. That'd be really square of me ta do that. Normally, I only teach yoga ta groups, but I saw ya hadda need ta relax and unwind. I was only offerin' help, but if ya think I'm tryin' ta put me moves on ya, I'll split the scene an' leave ya alone."

The Paint stallion looked sad, Night's words had hurt him to the core.

Throughout her time as a soldier, Night Watcher had developed an act of seeing whether ponies were being truthful to her or not. There really wasn't anything magical about this, just through keen observation with things like facial expressions, body language, and how a pony said things. It didn't take a genius to note that not only was Mojo telling her the truth, but she had hurt his feelings.

"I'm sorry, Mojo," Night said as she placed a reassuring hoof on the stallion, "You were nice to try and help me relax and learn to interact with others, but I pushed you away just like I've done before! I can't blame being a soldier and the strict rules I've learned for how I acted. This was all me. No wonder why I have trouble making friends, and forget having a special somepony if I can't even see somepony is trying to help without pushing them away. Maybe I'm just too broken to be fixed."

With that the mare turned and sat on the ground, her back towards the stallion. Though she was trying to hide it, it was clear that she was crying for what she did and what she didn't have.

"There there, Night. Don't be so hard on yourself, that's not cool," Mojo said softly as he walked over to block her path. "Some famous pony once said, 'Roam wasn't built in a day.' It's groovy that ya love yur job and have a sense of duty. But now, at this moment, yur not on the job. I have another idea, if yur up for it. I've often found that a pony can relieve stress by running. Shall we take a gallop around the garden, ta see if me theory works?"

"Thanks," Night Watcher said drying her eyes, "You're right, I am off duty, but I guess my brain doesn't get that sometimes."

She thought about what Mojo said about relieving stress by galloping. Being an athletic mare, Night Watcher did like to do so not only to stay in shape but to clear her mind.

"Let's try that, only maybe just a trot. I don't think I can run in this dress."

"Sounds groovy ta me, Night," Mojo said as the two ponies began their trot around the garden. "There ya go, release all that built up tension! You can do it!"

The Paint stallion was determined to help this lovely guard mare. He wasn't trying to get romantic, he was genuinely concerned for her current state of mind. Mojo could remember how he had to help his traveling companions Jubilee Flyer and Starflower to relax when he first met them. This would prove to be the ultimate 'test' for the Pony of Peace.

The black Pegasus started to walk around the garden, taking note of how beautiful the scenery was. Most of the time she was so fixated in making sure the area around her was safe that she didn't see the beauty of where she lives and protected. But now she looked at the beautiful flora that spread out before her, the animals that scampered about unafraid by her and Mojo's presence, and even the lights of the city beyond the castle. As she walked though, she felt the stress that was in her body even during such a fun event was slowly leaving.

"You know, this is actually working Mojo. It's funny though since being a soldier I do exercise to keep my strength and being on patrol means lots of walking. So what is it about not exercising, like going to this Gala, that makes me stressed. Is it I'm just so used to trotting to clear my mind?"

"Beggin' yur pardon, Night," Mojo began to speak, "in the short time I've gotten ta know ya, I'd guess that yur sorta on guard all the time, even when yur off duty. Take it from me, Night, there's a whole big wonderful world out here to explore and enjoy! Take the time ta smell the roses, even while yur defending them from harm. Take some time to be you. If I may say so, miss, yur quite a lovely lookin' mare! Betcha you'd have the gents linin' up a mile long ta have the chance of bein' with someone as charnin' as you. It's good ta be dedicated to yur job, but when yur not on duty, take some time to be, yurself."

Night Watcher knew that Mojo spoke the truth about the fact that she was always a guard and never simply a pony relaxing. She became so devoted to her job that it seemed to take a life of its own, replacing her life with the full time life of a soldier. She tensed slightly when Mojo called her pretty, but instead of lashing back like she did before it actually made her feel good, like she was seen more than just an authority figure.

"You're right. I shouldn't be on guard all the time. I guess I let my job become my entire life. Thank you for calling me pretty, it really means much to me. As for stallions lining up to meet me, there were some that I've met but once again I guess I didn't stop to notice. You know, you're a very nice stallion, helping others to relax. I bet you have a whole herd of mares vying for your attention!"

"Oh no, not me, Night," Mojo said shyly. "Guess I travel too much to find a mare of me own. It's just me lot in life ta help other ponies. Someday, I hope ta find a very special somepony, but till then, I'm cool with just bein' me."

The Paint stallion smiled at the guard mare.

Night watcher could clearly see that the stallion was shy when it came to talking about a special mare in his life. From the way that he presented himself to her, the jet black Pegasus assumed that he was a very social pony.

"Well, guess I thought that since you're a nice pony that there would be a mare who would fancy you that's all. I think that you'll find a special somepony someday, just I will too. So, besides helping ponies find ways to relax, what else do you like to do?"

"If I may say so humbly," Mojo said with a wide smile, "I am a stallion of many talents! I'm an artist, musician and poet! I make groovy lookin' throw rugs and other crafts. Once in a while, I can make some funky lookin' lava lamps, when I git me mitts on some lava. I also compose and play folk music, though I'm no Saphhire Shores. Written more than me share of poetry too, most of it around peace and love. I sell books of me poetry at me peddler's wagon. Do you have any hobbies, Night? Things ya really dig when yur off duty?"

"Wow, sounds like you have a gift for making things," Night Watcher said recalling everything the paint pony said. She wondered what lava lamp was and why the stallion would risk finding lava for it, but she chose not to ask.

"I guess if I see you around then I'll be sure to buy a book or a rug. As for my hobbies, I don't really have that much free time but I do like flying, reading and sometimes even dancing. I also like to go for a swim some times."

Archived