Reluctant ballroom dancing. (private, pm for invite)

Gerrard

The dull roar of party ponies filled the air of Canterlot Castle's ballroom. The rarely used section of the castle was brimming with well dressed ponies looking to score points with their equally dressed counterparts. The party had been proceeding according to plan, the strict dress code managing to spare it from some of the riff raff who were taking advantage of the open invitation.

A tall unicorn made with a pelt of darkest night stood off to the side of the event, her keen crimson eyes studying the fancy spectacle before her. Her scarlet mane was carefully placed to the side of her face while she patiently waited for ponies to approach her for conversation. Her form was draped in a dazzling white dress that was smartly accented with rose colored fabric and ornate rubies. It drew much attention to the stoic unicorn, the normally silent mare having to explain how she had come across such beautiful garb.

"It is a custom tailored dress that was crafted at the direction of my mother, Lady Star. She wanted me to obtain additional attention at these types of occasions and designed this dress to help facilitate that," she explained in her brutally honest manner. A few ponies were shocked at her frankness, taking their leave from the strange unicorn.

The few remaining older ponies gave her skeptical glares, their brows raised in disbelief. Their younger counterparts were confused by the name, unfamiliar until an elderly stallion explained things. "Ah, Elegant Star, an actress without equal in talent and beauty. You resemble her, perfectly. Farewell Miss Star junior," the well dressed stallion mused aloud before sarcastically dismissing her explanation and leading the crowd away.

"Thank you for the clarification sir. Your assistance is welcomed," Asteria replied in her signature deadpan delivery. It was unclear to the onlookers if she was oblivious to the sarcasm or in on it, her expression completely static for the ordeal.

ewJVfs.jpg

The grumpy blue Earth pony entered the Gala. Normally, he would never take part in such a public event, but this year, he had a very special reason for coming. He longs to see a lady friend he had met a few months ago, a certain black furred unicorn mare who came to his home to deliver a package. A mare, though lacking in emotions, still went with him to his favorite restaurant to dine together, stunning nearly every pony in that restaurant. Saddlesore hoped the elegant mare would be attending the Gala, since after all, she did live in Canterlot. The blue Earth stallion darted from room to room of the royal castle, desparately searching for Asteria Stillheart. They shared a friendship, and perhaps, something a little more.

When he poked his head in the Royal Ballroom, he did a double take when he spotted the unicorn mare wearing an elegant dress that made her look even more lovely than ever. Wearing an uncharacteristic smile on his face, Saddlesore galloped over to her.

"Miss Stillheart!" he neighed happily. "I am so glad to see you again! How have you been? Are you enjoying yourself tonight?"

These events were always troubling to the scarlet maned mare. Normal ponies used such events to drum up support and business. For Asteria though, advertising herself to the public as a courier seemed self defeating. Getting work would mean nothing if everyone knew she was a courier.

No, she wasn't here for business, Asteria was here because her family threatened to disown her if she avoided yet another gala! Their argument against her was solid, something she had trouble debating. She owed her family a payment of her time in exchange for everything her family had given to her. As to be expected, she wasn't visibly distraught, the strange made not allowing business or anything to sour her seemingly static mood.

Her soft black ears perked up when her former date called out to her. The unicorn slowly panned her head over to see Saddlesore. She wasn't used to people calling her name out in public, but this was an occasion where she had no cover to blow. "Hello Sir Saddlesore, I am honored to be graced with your presence. May I ask what brings you to Canterlot? Are you simply a person who enjoys social gatherings," Asteria replied in her signature deadpan delivery. Her expression did not visibly change with his arrival, her her tall frame remaining inside of her ornate dress while she spoke to him.

"I must confess, Miss Stillheart," Saddlesore began to explain, "that I came to the Gala hoping I would find you and spend some more time with you. I value you as a true friend, and I enjoy the pleasure of your company. If I may be so bold, may I have a dance with you? I would be deeply honored if you would accept my offer."

Yes, Asteria was still her emotionless self, but as the old saying goes, absence DOES make the heart grow fonder. Saddlesore still had an array of emotions going on within him when it came to the elegant black pelted unicorn mare. She was fascinating, mysterious, lovely. The blue Earth stallion truly loved her, but understood that this, like other emotions, could not be returned by his lady friend. That didn't matter, the night was young, and just spending time with Asteria would be satisfying enough to him.

Asteria listed as her earth pony friend explained his reasoning for coming to the event. It seemed strange to her that someone would go to an event in hope of meeting a specific person who was not scheduled to be there. While she probably would have avoided making such a random attempt, it was clear at least that Saddlesore had picked correctly. Perhaps there was a value in making whimsical choices that were seemingly irrational?

"I was required to come here out of familial obligations. Regardless, it is an honor to meet you again Sir Saddlesore," Asteria explained in her standard nice, yet disinterested voice. "I was told to socialize with other guests here and since you qualify as such, I will accept your offer of a dance. Dances can be used for expression, exercise, or enjoyment. I am familiar with only the basic styles of dance. Is there a particular one you wish to emulate," Asteria explained in a way that very few would observe his offer. Her fiery eyes looked over her well dressed stallion in her usual probing manner while a lurking unicorn mare seemingly stalked the pair of ponies.

Saddlesore was delighted with Asteria's answer.

Sure, she was as emotionless as ever, but that suited the blue Earth stallion just fine.

"Could we waltz? That seems to be the most popular dance among the guests here tonight," Saddlesore offered. "It would be logical to follow their style since it seems appropriate for the type of music being played on the stage at the moment."

"Waltz, I am familiar with that routine. Would you do me the honor of starting us off," she politely remarked, her voice keeping her usual tone. The tall made looked across to her stallion, her ruby eyes drifting down to follow the movements of his hooves.

Before they could being though, a strange unicorn made barged in on the pair, "accidentally" bumping into the pair. Asteria did not seem surprised by the sudden startling intrusion, but then again, she never really seemed surprised. Asteria took one step back and looked upon the intruder in her usual probing manner.

This new unicorn was a mare with a snowy white coat and a beautiful blonde mane. She was as tall as Asteria with eyes just as fiery. Her lithe form was draped in what could only be a maid's outfit. The maid glanced at the now divided couple with an aloof smile on her face. "Hello lovebirds, I can see that you two are having a fantastic evening. Could I interest you two in a cup of wine, or perhaps some hors d'oeuvres?" she asked in a French accent as she flaunted her form for the pair.

Asteria merely blinked at the spectacle, saying nothing to the made before drifting her eyes over to Saddlesore. "I do not require any sustenance at this time ma'am. Do you, Sir Saddlesore," she politely remarked, the odd courier not seeming bothered by the sudden intrusion.

Saddlesore was surprised at the sudden intrusion of the anxious waitress pony. Under normal circumstances, the grumpy blue stallion would tell such interlopers off and he had the urge to do precisely that. However, glancing up one more at the lovely black pelted unicorn mare, who looked even more ravishing in her elegant evening gown, all of his inner anger vanished.

"No thank you, miss," Saddlesore said in such a syrupy sweet voice that it pained him to speak. "Perhaps later, if you'll excuse us,"

Instantly, Saddlesore turned his attention back to Asteria.

"Now, we waltz," the blue Earth Stallion said as he took the lead in the dance, just as his lovely mare friend requested. Soon every eye in the room was upon the couple who had now maneuvered themselves to the center of the dance floor, dancing so brilliantly it caught others' attention.

"Oh you don't need anything at all? That's fine I suppose. Just make sure to treat Asteria right or I will buck you where Celestia's sun doesn't shine. Tootaloo you two," the blonde made replied in a suddenly normal, if not fancy tone. She turned to walk away, stroking the chin of Saddlesore with her blonde tail as she suddenly left without explaining how she knew the name of Asteria.

Asteria maintained her composure and followed the lead of Saddlesore as they began a slow waltz in the middle of the dance floor. The black mare was quite the dancer, her long legs mirroring the steps correctly as they paraded around the dance floor.

The unicorn had learned to ignore the gawkers after their last date. She simply followed the simple routine in her usual mechanical manner. Her fiery crimson eyes peered across to Saddlesore while they shared the dance. Asteria spoke no words, the mare seemingly leaving the rest of the interpretation up to her date as they shared the moment.

Saddlesore pondered the words of their uninvited visitor. How DID she know who Asteria was? Was she a family member, a sister or cousin perhaps? Of course, the blue stallion didn't take her threat seriously. After all, Saddlesore was used to getting yelled at and threatened, but now, in the presence of this elegant black furred unicorn mare, the blue Earth pony seemed to no longer be so grumpy. As he continued dancing with the emotionless mare, Saddlesore could only smile warmly. It was always a pleasure to be with her, even if it would be for just one evening.

"You dance divinely, Miss Stillheart," Saddlesore said, "have you ever taken any lessons?"

Archived