Welcome to Boot Camp - [Open - See OOC thread for sign up]

Imagination

[sign your life away! Come on, it'll be fun! http://www.canterlot...ake-2-sign-ups/ ]

Ah, Canterlot.

The bustling capitol of Equestria, home to the beloved princesses Celestia, Luna, and Twilight Sparkle! The streets are filled with happy ponies, some rich, some poor. It almost seems impossible that there could be any place in this city a pony could be miserable, unhappy or defeated. Though there is an exception to every rule and in Canterlot's military district is one very loud, bustling exception.

The Royal Equestrian Army Recruit Depot: Canterlot.

Sounds of marching and shouting filled the air for quite some distance around this place, violent choruses of 'sir yes sir' and 'jodies' as platoons of starry-eyed young recruits are molded into defenders of Equestria.

One such batch of recruits was rounded up from all over Equestria, being brought to the main gate in a large white carriage pulled by guardsponies. Above the gate was a sign that almost mockingly read 'Abandon Hope, Ye Who Enter Here'. A guard checked the carriage to make sure it's passengers were still there... and supposed to be there. But what pony in their right mind would want to sneak IN to Boot Camp? "Keep your noses clean, do as you're told, and you'll do fine. Welcome to Canterlot" the guardspony said in a short address to the recruits before stepping off and waving the carriage in.

As the carriage rolled closer and closer to the receiving building, those inside could look around to see what was in store for them. There was an obstacle course where ponies struggled to get over all kinds of silly things. Logs, nets, under briar vines, and all the while an ornery pony in a funny hat shouting at them for moving too slow. Past the carriage came a small group being led by another Drill Instructor, marching. They almost looked like robots. Expressions frozen, all in step and unwavering. In an open field was another group of recruits doing pony push-ups, while another poor recruit was getting a verbal beatdown by not one - not two - but three Drill Instructors. Gives a new definition to the phrase 'surround sound'.

At the receiving building at last... The doors of the carriage open, one of the drivers calling back for everypony to get out.

Time to go to work!

Prince Blueblood had held himself aloof from the other passengers, both enlisted and civilian, on the journey to the depot, but as they approached he could see looks of doubt and regret on the faces of some, and the unicorn was not without empathy. Really, what had possessed him to go, of his own volition no less, to the sign-up station as a civilian trainee, and put himself through what everypony cheerfully agreed to nickname "Tartarus"?

He couldn't even blame his aunt for this one. Or maybe he could, but not directly. Ever since she had taken an interest in his character, the Prince had had to deal with a year of, "I think it would be good for you to try this," or, "Would you kindly do that," all rather tiresome after a while. The only way he could think of to make it stop was to take initiative, and as he had thought, a masculine voice booming clear and direct orders would break the monotony.

Actually seeing the camp, and the forced labor within, made Blueblood begin to suspect that it wasn't worth it. Everypony was forced to decamp at once, and there was a general confusion and milling about with packed bags and luggage. His own bag had been put on last, and was easily retrieved, so he was able to stand aside, once again aloof and superior to the madding crowd. In other words, an easy target for a drill sergeant...

Snowfall had to say she was most excited for the opportunity she had before her. The REA's Citizen Leader's Camp was a valuable chance to make herself a better pony, both mentally and physically. The corporate world was certainly no cakewalk after all, countless ponies were employed at or invested in her company, Northern Storm Industries, and they all depended on her as CEO to makes shrewd and worthwhile decisions to ensure prosperity. If this camp could make her a better leader than she was, it would be invaluable.

The pegasus mare was perhaps even more eager for the opportunities for physical training it might offer, however. It was an REA enterprise after all, so she was expecting to have to get physical during the challenges. As it were, she had to admit she was fairly soft. She had lead a privileged life that didn't demand from her extensive physical training or exertion. She was eager to change this. Her beloved fillyfriend Pathfinder lead a demanding life as an adventurer, never shying for an instant away from great danger. Snowfall hoped someday to join her on an adventure and not just stand around while she was gone, waiting for letters. She didn't want to be holding Pathfinder back either.

Snowfall was not without her anxieties as the carriage her and the rest of the recruits were on carried them into the camp. As much respect as she mustered for this program, she was probably just a silly rich girl who didn't quite fully understand what she was getting herself into after all. All the same, she did her best to stay composed, her conviction on display. She perhaps didn't know the full of what boot camp would entail--all she knew of such things were from secondhand stories and dramatizations, but she was not going to put any less than her all into it. She hoped that that would prove to be enough.

As the carriage came to a halt and they were made to disembark, her eyes found and stayed with a certain other recruit for a time. He was a unicorn who's bearing and appearance suggested true privilege. It was reassuring in that Snow wondered if it didn't mean that she wasn't so out of place here after all. There was something perhaps even more curious about it though. This stallion looked familiar. The mare racked her brain for a moment, trying to place him. Her eyes widened when she realized he looked uncannily like none other than Prince Blueblood himself. Surely that couldn't be. Somepony with a royal connection wouldn't be here, would they? Snow laughed heartily as she concluded it wasn't truly any more unusual than the CEO of a major corporation signing up for such a thing. She was sure the Prince was here because he was eager for the experience it would provide, just as she was.

Nodding, Snow grabbed her bag and got off the carriage. She lined up with the others and did her best to stand proud and straight. REA types appreciated good posture from what she understood. As eager as she was to learn from the ponies here. she hoped to get things started on the right hoof.

30jk84h.jpg

Not everypony among the Citizen Leaders’ group was deficient of knowledge about the workings of the Royal Equestrian Army. One such pony, Dr. Spin Tale, had run for a few years now the Canterlot Army Historical Society; the city’s premiere source for historical knowledge about the Royal Guard. As such, Dr. Tale stayed very much privy to REA developments, and so it didn’t take long for news of the Citizen Leaders’ Initiative to reach his ears.

Spin Tale didn’t have to think things through a lot before signing up for the program. True, the museum curator didn’t handle discomfort very well, which boot camp of course had plenty of. And yet even he had to admit that for all his military historical knowledge, in many ways it couldn’t match first-hoof experience. So now, Dr. Tale had a chance to learn all about what recruits go through without merely reading or asking about prior stories after the fact. As President and Curator-in-Chief of the CAHS, it’d be an academic crime NOT to attend the program.

The earth pony however wasn't allowed to simply trot a few blocks over from his museum over to the local Recruit Depot; like everypony else, he’d need to go all the way to the train station and get inside a carriage before entering boot camp. A mild inconvenience to be sure, but Dr. Tale knew much worse would be coming his way very shortly. To his surprise, the red stallion spotted a couple of very important ponies among his Citizen Leader “squad” riding in the same carriage. There was Prince Blueblood of course, somepony of such high stature yet so little official responsibilities (if any) that Spin couldn’t even believe Blueblood bothering with the program… the doctor guessed that the prince lost a high-stakes bet somehow. Spin Tale also figured out via recollection the identity of the snow blue regal-looking pegasus mare; Snowfall, CEO of Northern Storm Industries. Snowfall intrigued the stallion, if only because some time ago, a wacko wearing a Daring Do outfit boasted how she loved the famous businessmare; that infatuation clearly had to be unreciprocated by the saner Snowfall, obviously.

Once bidden to exit the carriage, the red earth pony grabbed his saddlebags and lined up with the others. Looking around the Recruit Depot, Spin briefly wondered if he had what it took to not make a fool of himself as a Citizen Leader. If he did have one advantage however, the curator had a slightly better idea than the rest on what to expect, and what the inspectors will expect of him. Like Snowfall off to his side, Dr. Tale did his best to stand rigidly despite his eyes betraying his uneasiness.....

It wasn't long before the double doors of the receiving building opened at last, releasing a stone-faced white and blue pony in the familiar Instructor garb they may have seen on the way in. Behind him was the dark innards of the building, likely containing another cadre of Drill Instructors just waiting for their chance to jump out, like hungry wolves.

Upon his head rested the famous 'smokey-bear' cover and the golden sun badge of the REA pinned to the center. Around his neck was a pressed tan collar and tie. Pinned to this uniform collar was his rank: Three stripes up, three stripes down. A Master Sergeant of the Royal Equestrian Army. He stopped some ten feet away from the recruits, looking up and down the line. The first thing he noticed right away: The Prince. What in Celestia's name was he doing here? He didn't let his confusion show, but even so he was having a hard time wrapping his mind around it. He'd find out... Or at least be able to take the elevated pony down a notch.

Among the rest... He could clearly tell who was there for recruit training and who was a Civilian Leader. The younger, more anxious ones were the fools roped into the Army, while one ones standing tall with something to prove and/or learn were his CLs. Fair enough. He started pacing up and down the line, projecting his voice with great force in giving the introduction he could probably recite in his sleep:

"You are now standing at the Royal Equestrian Army Recruit Training Facility in Canterlot! You are now apart of the 75th Recruit Training Company, with the end goal of becoming a member of our nation's proud and mighty military, or to better yourself as a citizen and as a leader! Over the next several weeks you will be put through trials I promise you have never faced before! Everything about every single thing you do will revolve around teamwork! You will live, eat, sleep, succeed, and FAIL as a team! You cannot, I repeat, CANNOT make it through this depot on your own!"

A short pause to let their potential futures sink in, and he continued. "I am Master Sergeant Reveille, your Senior Drill Instructor! I've been in this Army a looong time, starting in the same exact place you're standing this instant! I will make every effort to train you, to mentor you and to mold you into moral, patriotic and useful soldiers and citizens! I will make every possible effort to pass on what I know so that it is clear and concise! My staff and I will treat you fair! My staff and I will cut NO corners in making sure that the proper training is instilled in you: the willing volunteer! Let nopony's ghost say 'I wish my Drill Instructors taught me better'! I don't care if you're rich, I don't care if you're strong, smart or dumb! I don't care if your daddy was a soldier, I don't care if your mommy was an officer-" He stopped before the Prince, having to look up at the stallion to give him a hard glare, "I don't care if your close relative is the Princess of Equestria!" he said in a totally not-specific-to-anypony way before moving on. "You will ALL receive equal and fair treatment! Now you know what I will do! From YOU, I expect the following! You will regard eachother with fairness and respect AT ALL TIMES! You will give 100% of yourself, no matter the circumstances, AT ALL TIMES! From now on you will carry out all orders with vigor and speed! You will speak when we say, you will MOVE when we say, and the first and last words out of your pie-holes will be 'SIR' or 'MA'AM'! Do you understand me, recruits?!"

He stood by, awaiting the hopeful chorus. Nothing in his speech was at all false, as he hoped these ponies would come to understand in due time. He could remember getting that very same speech when he was just a wee Private, scoffing it off in the back of his young mind.

A harsh intro, but things can only get better. Right?

Right on cue, out came the Drill Sergeant, primed right out of the gate and gunning for 'greenhorn.' *Oh my sainted aunt, that hat. Does he really think it makes him look more dignified in any way?* Prince Blueblood couldn't discover any indication one way or the other, and set his teeth and faced the shouted speech like a gale at sea.

The proud Prince was slightly struck by the implication that he couldn't handle whatever the Boot Camp would throw at him, though he would have had to admit that he had no experience in forced marches, log-jumping, and Luna-knows what else. As for his team, that would be the other civilian leaders. He cast a quick eye over them as the Sergeant paused in his speech.

First there was Snowfall, of NIS industries as he recalled correctly. Sometimes seen doing a company sales pitch around Canterlot; not exactly highborn, but very rich. Not unsuitable company, though probably just as new as he was to whole business.

And then, there was this weedy-looking academic fellow. No name came to mind, but he was pretty sure he ran some kind of museum. What that stallion could possibly be doing here Prince Blueblood couldn't imagine. Maybe he was trying to get away from his aunts, too.

*Oh, the sergeant's speaking again. I suppose I'll have to pay attention.* Without any kind of visible enthusiasm or hustle, he turned back to look at Master Sergeant Reveille, just in time to meet his glare, which did cause him to shy back a bit. Yes, as if there could possibly be another pony here with family connections to the Princesses! *A commoner with a chip on his shoulder. This is going to be a long six weeks.*

It was at the end of the sergeant's speech that Blueblood made his first mistake. He spoke. "Alright, sir, yes." It was said clear enough to be audible, but had nothing of the promptitude expected of the dewy-eyed recruit, and the 'sir' was in the middle rather than at the ends.

• 3 weeks later...

Shadowe had disembarked the train last, making his way to the others as quickly as he could. The white sight-stick he bore bounced off the ground and off of the leg of a pony in front of him, his violet eyes widening in shock.

"Sir, I'm sorry, Sir! I did not mean to hit you, Sir!" He said, knowing who it was from the tone of the voice. He sighed mentally, kicking himself for thinking the REA would train a blind volunteer cadet, especially a blank flank colt like him.

"Sir, yes, sir!" Snowfall called out stiffly to the Senior Drill Instructor.

Already she was impressed. This Reveille was everything she expected in an REA drill instructor. He was tough, unyielding and satisfyingly loud. He was certainly intimidating, but this was exactly what Snow had come there for. She expected to be trained and trained well and would have been disappointed if the Master Sergeant went easy on any of them on the basis of who they were. She was especially glad to see Reveille acknowledge the prince but make it clear he would be receiving no special treatment. Noting his limp, almost dismissive sounding reply, Snowfall anticipated he would be getting an earful very shortly.

She took the brief moment then to make note of a few of her fellow recruits. At her side was a fairly unassuming looking earth stallion who seemed to be doing his best to present himself. Another cadet to disembark the train was far more concerning. Snowfall was quite shocked to see a young colt get off the train, stumbling out and inadvertently bumping his way into the sergeant. Noting the stick he used, the only conclusion was that this colt was actually blind? Surely he couldn't have volunteered for something like this given that? Snow didn't know what to make of it, but she was quite interested to see how the REA ponies would address such a thing.

Alexandrite Tilt had been quite content with her being assignment to Canterlot to act as a drill instructor to help out with the Citizen Leaders Camp. She liked the spirit of the camp, encouraging normal ponies to step up and make better ponies of themselves. There came a time when every pony stood to have need to find inner strength or else fall under the weight of what faced them. The fact was that, if the Crystal Empire had had more "citizen leaders", they might have been able to resist the evil of their oppressor King Sombra longer.

Seeing the Master Sergeant conclude his address, Alexandrite decided it was time to say a few words herself. She stepped toward the group, and began walking past all of the recruits, looking them over. She could see different emotions in their eyes, but most of them seemed like they wanted to be there, which was encouraging.

"Listen well, everypony. The journey you are all about to embark upon will not be an easy one. You will be tested, and at times you may feel as if you want to go home. Don't let yourself take the easy route, the lazy route. Don't give in to weakness. Listen to us and let us guide you! Listen well and you will find yourself a stronger pony, a better pony! Whether as soldiers or as civilians, the strength you'll find if you follow us will prove invaluable for your futures!" she spoke in a strong, steady voice as she moved down the line.

Stopping just to the side of Reveille, she gave a final nod. "I am Sergeant Alexandrite Tilt of the Imperial Palace Guard, here from the Crystal Empire. I will be assisting Master Sergeant Reveille in instructing you through the course of this camp. I look forward to seeing you all blossom into the soldiers and leaders you can be! I expect not to be disappointed."

It was an interesting idea, training civilian ponies to become Citizen Leaders. From the moment the concept was addressed, Night Watcher's interest was peaked. If more ponies could become leaders in their community, then in times of crisis they could help assist the REA. Every helping hoof was a benefit in times of need, but it was even better to have ponies step up and become the leader of a group while the REA organizes the entire operation. As a personal note in her service, the black Pegasus wondered if having more of these Citizen Leaders would have helped to hold off the Changeling Invasion in Canterlot, a dark day in her service.

As she stood next to the other instructors, dressed not in her usual silvery Lunar Guard Armor but in her formal military dress, she wondered how successful this training was going to be. It took a special type of pony to join the military, and she knew from experience that even those who thought they could be a soldier, there were always some that couldn't make the cut. This boot camp was not to create soldiers, but Night Watcher wasn't going to water down the exercises. These ponies wanted an authentic military experience, and that was what they were going to get.

With her superior Master Sergeant Reveille giving his speech as did another pony, a Crystal Pony named Alexandrite Tilt who she met for the first time here, it was time for her to address the group.

"Good morning ponies. I am Staff Sergeant Night Watcher of the Lunar Guard. You are about to embark on an authentic intensive military training course with the goal of becoming Citizen Leaders. I have been tasked to guide you through this training with that goal in mind, but I will say that I will not be successful if you are unwilling to devote your time, energy, knowledge, strength, will and most importantly passion into this course. You will be tested and pushed to your limits, and some of you may feel like giving up. Don't take the easy route. Find your inner strength and move on, and I will promise you that if you follow my guidance and never quit you will become a better pony, for yourself and others."

EjczhWO.jpg

Last out of the building was what seemed to be a unicorn mare levitating a clipboard at her side. It wasn't likely at this point the attendees would be able to tell though that the mare before them wasn't a mare at all. Silverheart look very punctual and uptight as he inspected the attendees and checked off a list. upon the list was a series of check boxes with the names of the participants next to them. On another sheet of paper below the one with the checkboxes was a performance sheet where he intended to mark down how each of these ponies did in the exercises and how they could improve. While these papers looked official they were actually for the unicorns own benefit and desire to keep everything in order.

The Master Sergeant's opening speech was absolutely perfect, a fine mixture of authority and the hint of intimidation and power one would expect from a veteran of the Royal Equestrian army. Seargent Elaxandrite Tilt's speech was shorter but equally impressive and Miss Night Watcher's did not fall short either.

It seemed to be his turn so after a taking a moment to collect his thought's he spoke up, "While all of you have quite different motives and backgrounds, None of you will receive special treatment. All of you -Will- follow the rules and instructions of your instructors. There's not much I can say that will sound much different that any other member of the staff here but I can say That I personally expect you to take the lessons you learn here at heart and use them to help your fellow citizens accordingly." The stallion's voice did not help his case as a stallion at all. His tone was very feminine sounding but leaned towards androgynous, almost sounding like a mare that was trying to pass herself off as a stallion.

"I am Lieutinent Silverheart and I come from Trottingham. I came here to help promote order in our homeland and I believe this camp shall be a major step to help achieve this goal." Calmly trotting over to the attendees he looked over each of them and began checking off their names and descriptions for his list.

The first pony he came to was prince Blueblood, which made him do a double take before he had a look like he'd stepped in something unpleasant. SIlver had attended the Grand Galloping Gala quite a few times in his life and while he hadn't met Blueblood in person, he had heard of his behavior towards a certain mare one night that ended with him pushing her in the way of a cake to protect himself.

"So -you- came, huh... I hope you know this place may require you to get a bit dirty."

With only that remark he went on to the next pony, a pegasus mare who seemed dedicated to looking how a REA officer should look despite not being;which was something Silver could appreciate.

"If you can perform as well as you keep your posture, I'm sure you'll do well here."

Next the grey coated unicorn moved on to a bespectacled earth pony he looked more like the intellectual type so if anything he seemed like he would be helpful when it came to the problem solving exercises the camp had planned.

"I can admire those who step out of their element. Good luck."

Last was a grey unicorn who seemed to be having trouble seeing. Was he blind? would that be a problem? After going through his thought for a moment Silver decided it was likely the little colt wouldn't be in danger here and if he came her to improve himself as a pony, who was he to say he had to go home?

"You made an admirable choice coming here. Way to go, little guy." he said trying to give the colt some encouragement.

After addressing everypony present and marking down their names he returned to the lineup of Drill instructors.

Fire Walker stood silently with the other young officers as she watched the new recruits slowly cantered through. She was quite surprised to have received the invite to join this little recruitment and training camp, but after spending years helping to train the next generation of Royal Equestrian Army fighting mares and stallions, she knew her time would come soon, but not as just an drill sergeant or instructor, but as an actual Company Commander! At first, she assumed the letter was meant for one of her older brothers, one who had served longer and more constant than she, but after checking the proper paperwork, it appeared that she was the new Company Commander, at least for this exercise. She silently began to wonder if this was her father's doing. She was well aware that he father was not completely keen about her wanderlust. The mare often took extended leaves from the R.E.A to go on adventures with her like-minded friends. Maybe this was his way of trying to keep her grounded in Canterlot a little longer with such an prestigious assignment.

She watched as Master Sergeant Reveille went into his introductory speech to the war recruits. She wanted to smile, if not chuckle during the whole thing, but kept a professional and proper neutral expression on her face throughout the deliverance. As brash as Reveille was, he was downright gentle compared to her first instructor all those years ago. Her jaw nearly dropped when 'Princess of Equestria' and 'close relative' was mentioned. What in the world was Prince Blueblood doing here?

Once it was her turn to speak, the uniformed mare did so. "I am Senior First Lieutenant Fire Walker, Company Commander. I am here to make sure everypony involved with this does their job not only correctly, but on time and just as your trainer has instructed you to do so. We do not do things halfway or partial in the R.E.A. It does not matter if you are instructed to properly demonstrate a series of tasks you were ordered to do, or you were instructed to clean the latrine, it's all to be done one way. Correctly. I am also here to make sure once you are finished with training that you are prepared for anything. Along with your readiness, I cannot stress that you will properly maintain and account for any equipment that is given to you, from your training uniform to your mock-pole-arm. I have faith that our staff here will be more than capable of training you into becoming part of a proud tradition of protectors that has been looking after our proud lands for many generations."

Once finished, she returned to her spot, and made sure to double-check Officer Silverheart's chart once she was finished with it.

30jk84h.jpg

“Sir, yes sir!” Dr. Tale cried out, louder than Blueblood but not as loud as the others.

So far, MSgt. Reveille lived up to Spin Tale’s expectations on how a drill instructor acted. Surprisingly though, the curator thought that Reveille’s opening speech wasn’t as… daunting as anticipated. Sure, the instructor sounded like someone who shouldn’t be crossed, but Spin Tale didn’t witness anything that put him off guard like some of the other recruits. Maybe Spin had simply spent too much time around military types to be phased too much by Reveille. And so, he stood still to the best of his ability while the other instructors introduced themselves.

2zel84w.jpg

Off to the side of the assembly area, Col. Pummel stood alone as he watched the scene unfold. Having signed off on the Citizen Leaders Initiative, he would see to it that the program worked as advertised; that the civilians who came out of army-style basic training would have the know-how to respond to any emergency scenario. With the Royal Equestrian Army as small as it was, Pummel deemed it doubly important that citizens have this ability.

At this time however, the towering pegasus cast most of his attention on the speaking instructors, scrutinizing each and every one of them. MSgt. Reveille played his role perfectly, authoritatively setting the recruits into their place as pieces of clay ready to be molded as the senior drill instructor saw fit. Next up was Sgt. Tilt of the Imperial Guard, who sounded a bit too much like a high school hoofball coach for Pummel’s tastes, but at least her millenium-old motivational sensibilities complement Reville’s more modernized approach. SSgt. Watcher’s speech needed improvement, lacking in both forcefulness and majesty. And WO1. Silverheart... she actually faltered when addressing Prince Bloodblood; very clumsy of her. Last one up was 1Lt. Walker, who while not sounding quite as forceful as Reveille, didn’t prance around with her words either; a good quality for a commissioned officer to have.

All in all, the 75th Recruit Training Company would be making do primarily with the personnel Col. Pummel had on hoof, and not the personnel he wanted. MSgt. Reveille’s subordinates were all going to be tested over the next few weeks; in fact, they had as much to gain from the next several weeks as the recruits they were obstinately training. Those instructors who faltered would be earmarked for a decrease in pay grade; those who proved their merit would earn their rightful place in the reshaping of the Royal Equestrian Army.

As the company commander finished speaking, Pummel marched on towards the rest of the instructors. Soon enough, the towering uniformed pegasus stood sternly in front of the recruits, his icy glare penetrating through every mare and stallion standing before him. As this introductory ritual was running somewhat overdue, Pummel kept things strict and simple; “I’m Colonel Pummel, commanding officer of the 75th RTC. For those who come as Citizen Leaders… do not waste our time. If you’re not serious in making use of this commitment-free military training so generously funded to you by your fellow taxpayers, then leave now. Basic training does not exist to enrich your life with so-called experiences... it does not exist because you’ve lost a bet... and it certainly does not exist to cure you of boredom for a couple months."

"The lives of ponies you know and cherish may one day depend on what you learn here; the moment any civilian loses sight of this fact... he or she be swiftly shown the exit. ..........That is all.” With his address concluded, Pummel walked away to join the assembled instructors, content that he set the record straight with any Citizen Leader who dared take this boot camp lightly.....

Reveille wasn't at first going for shock-and-awe, making the passing along of clear and concise expectations the priority. But, now that they had been told what was expected of them, and what lie ahead of them... Hey, they can't say they didn't know, right? It was the usual plan with new classes, and how the SDI usually chose to 'flip the switch'. Things would be kept calm and organized... Until somepony messed up. This year's lucky winner happened to be Blueblood. Not sounding off, and doing it improperly to boot?

It only took the smallest mistake in the field for a situation to erupt into total...

Utter...

Chaos.

"Blueblood I KNOW I just told you what was expected-!" The poor Prince would've found the Master Sergeant in front of him like a shot, his face already marred with rage. It was like the DI didn't even stop for a breath as he fired off a verbal chewing at him "-If that is 100% of the monarchy then Celestia HELP this country and the R.E.A! YOUR FLANK BELONGS TO ME NOW, BLUEBLOOD! WHEN I TELL YOU TO SOUND OFF, YOU WILL SOUND OFF! OPEN YOUR FAT MOUTH AND SCREAM! SCREAM OUT OF YOUR FACE!"

This display would've been more than enough of a signal for his Drill Instructors to 'fire at will'. While he was busy attempting to grill the Prince, he was bumped with something! About to unleash the fury on another recruit, he gave pause when he saw it was a blind colt. He said nothing, but rather the little pony could probably hear his teeth grinding in frustration. The colt had every right to be there, and hopefully it would give the participants more motivation to utilize teamwork... But that didn't mean it was going to be easier on the staff. Once the staff had finished their introductions, he went right into it. "Alright, you parasprites have already ticked me off today and we haven't even started! New rule! You will maintain ONE-LEG-DISTANCE from myself and my instructors AT ALL TIMES! Your will not break this bubble! I like my personal space, understand?! It will be perceived as a threat, and we are authorized to DESTROY YOU! Is that understood, recruits?!" Hey, everypony likes physical training, right? Though the true purpose behind this silly little rule was, of course, safety.

"Drill Instructors! Get them into the receiving building and in their places! Quickly!"

Begin Phase 1: Chaotic Breakdown. Tear recruits apart physically and emotionally to test their resolve, and leave a foundation for a disciplined build-up.

Depending on how long it took the instructors to get them inside (hint hint, it will always takes too long), would depend on how much things would improve for the class... And the class would probably want to keep the Senior Drill Instructor as happy as possible. Directly inside the receiving building would be several kiosks, with enough space for ponies to work with their luggage. Looks like it was about time for a baggage check.

Night Watcher could tell from Colonel Pummel that her introductory speech was not the best she could give. She was typically good with giving orders, but the Pegasus found it at first difficult to address these civilians like soldiers. It was a mistake, one that would not be made again. If these ponies were going to get the authentic military experience, then she was going to give it to them.

She witnessed a certain white unicorn make a fatal error by not following the direct order of how to respond. There was always one pony who thought they could do things their own way, and from the moment she caught a glimpse of this pony, Night watcher could tell this one would be difficult. But the black mare wasn't going to back down from this challenge.

"Let me tell you all something," Night said to the group after Master Sergeant Reveille finished chewing out the stallion, "There are three ways that things work here: Our Way, Our Way, Our Way! Anypony that has problems with that, there's the door! Don't let it hit you on the flank on the way out. Now line up and follow!"

The mare began a swift trot, following close behind the Colonel and Master Sergeant. Occasionally she would look back to make sure that the ponies were following and not goofing off.

Shadowe gathered himself into place, snapping to an attention as soon as he could. He had already made a grave error in bumping into their Drill Instructor! He focused ahead, listening intently for every order given. When told to follow, he kept pace and followed as close to the pony giving the order as he could. He didn't want to rely exclusively on his sight-stick the whole time he was here. His ears flicked back occasionally, liking the sounds of military movement around him. So long as he didn't suddenly stop cold or trip over a stone, he would be fine.

As soon as he thought it, a stone cropped up in his path. A hoof caught, his balance skewed as he realized only a second too late that he was tripping. He sighed mentally, focusing what magic he dared use to stop his descent and move the stone out of the path of the ponies behind him.

You would have thought that by now, Prince Blueblood would have been used to ponies yelling in his face after some social transgression or another. But no, no matter how many faux pas, no matter the number of failed dates, he always managed to recover some measure of vain dignity, which was then to be punctured anew.

But Master Sergeant Reveille was something else. Where the rest had been pinpricks, he was a wrecking ball. When he got into Blueblood's face, it would try to retreat to the back of his skull. It was quite true that, up until this point, the Prince had gone through life on the path of least resistance. And right now, that path was doing exactly what the sergeant said, pronto!

"SIR, YES SIR!" It was more like a squeal than a scream, really; but it did possess the virtues of promptitude and volume, which Blueblood hoped would be enough. Fortunately, another transgressor of sorts, this time of the sergeants personal space, got the alabaster unicorn out of the way of Reveille's wrath, for now.

The breathing space was enough for him to contemplate his other instructors, and the likely future he was to face under them. Unless he was counting incorrectly, they outnumbered the civilian cadets, never mind the fact that any one of them was probably a match for them all. They all had a speech to give, which pretty much amounted to the same thing: "This is going to be the hardest six weeks in your life, and you are going to like it."

At any rate, the sergeant didn't have to tell him twice to keep out of the instructor's personal space. He picked up his bags with promptitude and carried them towards the building indicated. In his rush, he almost tripped over the young colt. "Do watch it!" He snapped, before realizing that this was a particularly senseless thing to say to young Shadowe. "Ah, sorry, but could we get a move on, please?" The apology was a little sour, maybe, but it was a heck of a lot more than the Prince would have given half a year ago, so there was progress.

• 4 weeks later...
Snowfall listened well as all of her new instructors introduced themselves. Reveille had been exactly what she had expected from an REA drill instructor, but what of the others? She found something quite magnetic about Alexandrite Title, the mare from the Crystal Empire. She spoke with a certain eloquence and carried herself with intensity. Having visited her empire once on business, this mare about matched the spirit she had seen in the ponies there. Following her was a mare called Night Watcher who gave a similar set of speeches. After hew was an androgynous pony named Silverheart. Snowfall spent most of this pony's speech trying to decide whether s/he was a mare or a stallion, but by the end had no conclusive answer. She responded with a nod when this pony singled her out for some encouragement though, complimenting her posture.

Moving on, the officers took their turn to speak. The company commander, Lieutenant Fire Walker was first to speak. Snow was impressed. This mare had the perfect air of a to-the-point REA officer. Something about her was very easy to trust and respect. Following her then was the commanding officer, Colonel Pummel. She knew of this stallion; he had a very long reputation. If she recalled correctly her mother was friendly acquaintance with his wife. She had never actually met him before, but immediately she took note of how imposing he was. He had this aura about him of respectability and command that reminded Snow of her father in a way. The few words he gave to them were the most chilling. Listening to them was enough to make even Snow assess what she was doing. She wanted to be here though and wouldn't be deterred. She kept standing there strong.

After the Master Sergeant spoke again, setting a rule about personal space in response to the poor blind little colt--Snowfall had to pity him, but admire his bravery--the ponies were made to follow him and the others into a building with several kiosks where their belongings would be found As Snowfall moved to retrieve her modestly packed bag, she decided to speak to one of the other citizen leaders. She looked toward the unassuming earth stallion, giving a short laugh.

"Well, that certainly set the mood," she said in a steady voice. "After that, I certainly don't believe we can anticipate this to be easy." She had no intention of wasting her own or anyone's valuable time, but she couldn't resist making a little small talk. It would be important to get to know the ponies she'd be undertaking this with, after all.

Alexandrite stood still and watched as her fellows gave their own speeches. It seemed little had changed in the last one thousand years in regards to addressing those you aimed to guide. The others had their own quirks and styles, but she couldn't say she found fault with any of them. Truly she had been unsure about coming to this foreign land to spend months participating in this camp, but it would probably be a useful experience for her all the same.This was her second time meeting the colonel actually, he having visited the Empire once before and ended up on a tour with her. He was a very serious, staunch stallion which made him difficult to figure out in a way; in Alexa's opinion, she wondered if it wasn't important for leaders to be more open with those who followed them.

At the word of the Master Sergeant, Alexa gave a nod."At once, Sir!" she said promptly. She then turned toward the recruits. "Inside, recruits and gather your things. Do be quick, you'll not want to make us wait!" she called out with another nod as she walked along, into the receiving room where the luggage awaited.

• 3 weeks later...

30jk84h.jpg

Just when Spin Tale thought he accurately predicted the opening routine, up came Col. Pummel with a speech aimed specifically at the civilians themselves. In all honesty, Dr. Tale’s rationale for signing up was for exactly one of the reasons that Pummel so harshly derided. Was it fair for the citizens of Equestria that he was here just to satisfy his curiosity about the experience? If he wasn’t planned on making good use of what basic training could offer, should he really be here?

Those thoughts proved enough to question the curator’s resolve, and his face sunk as he dwelled upon the consequence of failure. As much as he liked to heed the colonel’s advice and march straight out the training center, something kept Spin Tale from doing so. Probably because everypony else stayed put, and Spin did not want to be that one pony who quit before things even began. At the very least, he could stick through boot camp before being defeated by his own inability.

"Well, that certainly set the mood. After that, I certainly don't believe we can anticipate this to be easy."

In the midst of being shouted over towards the receiving area, Dr. Tale heard the sound of Ms. Snowfall unmistakably talking to him. With their shared… “predicament”, the stallion didn’t think to commune with the CEO with the deference he would have used at any other time. “Tell me about it,” a not-as-steady voice replied, taking one last peek at the glaring colonel who remained silent through this process; “And I’ve actually studied how basic training works before.” This was a fact that Spin felt would be unwise to reveal to the drill instructors, least they turn their scrutinizing attention on him too.....

Once inside, the Master Sergeant would stand at the front of the room and try to hurry the group along. Once everypony was at their kiosks, he would begin! "Lets see how many of you actually followed the packing list! All of you, empty all of your bags on the counters in front of you You will COMPLETELY empty these bags! My instructors will check every pocket, every crevice of these bags! Absolutely NO contraband will enter my depot!"

They should only have with them some basic clothing items, basic hygiene products, and no more than 20 bits.

"Once you have emptied your trash, and my instructors take whatever they must, we will repack your bags and move on with the rest of in-processing! We need to get you all your uniforms, get you fed, and you will ALL write a letter home! No exceptions! Once all that is done, you will be moved to your barracks, and the rest of the day will be spent properly organizing your trash, and learning how to keep your racks made! You no longer sleep in a 'bed', it is now a RACK!"

Celestia help them if they forgot their new vocab. It was like an incredibly aggressive grade-school teacher.

"DO NOT pack anything back in your packs until I say so. If you are MISSING anything, you will inform my instructors! We will get you whatever you are missing later this evening!"

Blueblood had often been told that 'Duke' was essentially the same word as 'Colonel,' in old and dead languages. Often, this was used to mean that Dukes had, or ought to have, the same military virtues as Colonels. Privately, the Prince had wondered if that actually meant that Colonels had the aristocratic vices of Dukes. The particular sample set before them seemed to have the same cowing effect on commoners, at least. Well, one commoner at any rate.

Actually, everypony was pretty cowed, and the sergeant wasn't letting them have any pause to collect their thoughts as they were hustled into the receiving area. Blueblood, for one, emptied his pack before he even finished listening to the Master Sergeant's discourse. Of course, the Prince had only packed the necessities; two of every conceivable type of toiletry, full changes of clothes with a silk dressing gown, some books, an extra pillow, and various odds and ends. For him, it was packing lightly.

Well, he was due for another chewing-out, even if he didn't realize it yet. You couldn't have had a better plant to make for a demonstration of what not to do in basic training. The insistence of new terminology didn't bring out anything good in him either. "And I suppose if we call it a bed, he'll stretch us on it." Not that he expected the sergeant to be familiar with old griffonian torture devices... though perhaps it was unwise to presume, given his rate of disciplinary infractions.

Shadowe was glad that he had insisted on only being read the list instead of having his mother pack for him as she had offered to do. He made sure he only packed what was vital for his ongoing survival--a cloak in case it was cold, a tooth brush and travel tooth paste, a bar of plain soap, the case that would house his mobility cane and just fifteen bits for the things that he might need that weren't included. He stood stock still, ears flicking back to the one that had stumbled into him after he had tripped over a rock commented. It was the only movement he dared to make.

Archived