Typical Day at the Library (Open)

Mojo

Tilly Tome was giddy with glee! Even getting 'Shhh-ed' by the Crystal Princess did little to dampen her spirits! So many ponies visiting her library today, and she so wanted to help each one of them find what they were looking for! As the elderly Crystal Pony librarian finished assisting Tourmaline and was about to return to Garrett, another pony approached her, a blue Pegasus who requested help with finding books on Crystal Empire architecture.

"I will be happy to assist you, sir," Tilly Tome said to Dashing Blade, "but first, I must assist Garnet. Please be patient, I will be right with you. In the meantime, since you did say you wanted to see books on Crystal Empire Architecture? See the blue pony sculpture on the far side of the room? Next to it on the right is our library's Architecture section. Please feel free to browse and I will meet you there as soon as I finish helping Garnet."

Tilly Tome casually walked back over to where Garnet was standing. Passing by the Reserve Room, the elderly Crystal mare poked her head in long enough to say in a hushed tone, "If there is anything you need, your highness, just call for me and I will come galloping to your aid!"

Reaching Garnet, Tilly Tome was happy to see that he was talking to Tournmaline. Oh, young love! She hadn't been THAT young in what felt like eons. Smiling, she approached the two.

"Garnet, Tournmaline, is there anything I can help you with?" she said in her kindest, gentlest voice.

For a moment Garnet stood waiting for some kind of acknowledgement by the strange black crystal filly. It almost felt like there was a wall between each other of some kind for the way that Tourmaline treated him. At last he thought there would be an opening to get into a conversation with his fellow classmate when she opened her mouth to speak. If there was anything Garnet wasn't it was being shy.

"We're classmates," was all the filly said about him before continuing with whatever boring research she was doing. He could almost feel like he had been slapped in the face and a door closing at the same time. What was this pony's deal? Was she like this to everypony? It must as all Garnet did to her was say hello.

"Double dose of crazy," he muttered while waiting for the Princess to accept his idea.

"Garnet, Tournmaline, is there anything I can help you with?"

Great, now the librarian who was probably as old as the Crystal Empire was talking to both of them. It didn't take a genius to see what she was doing, seeing the two ponies together. She was trying to encourage conversation as if something was going to happen, perhaps a friendship or even (gulp) a crush!

"Nah, I think I'm ok Miss Tome. How about you Tourmline, are you ok?"

He didn't need to give the filly a second chance to talk with him, but he was feeling somehow generous.

2w6dy09.jpg

"So what do you think, Princess? It's been over 1000 years now really? Do you think we might see the next Sombra level unicorn rise in the modern era?"

Word to the wise: encyclopedias made for very dry reading. Princess Cadence would do anything to serve her subjects: even reading through a dull tome written a thousand years ago. Studying through piles of books had always been the province of Twilight Sparkle, who had the unique personality required to enjoy that line of work. Now, Cadence was an intelligent mare in her own right, but times like these made her wish that she could be at least half the scholar her sister-in-law was.

To provide some welcome relief, Touralime as promised sat down with Princess Cadence in the reserve room. Granted, her interrogatories still unnerved the pink alicorn to some extent, but maybe speculation was in order to make reading her encyclopedia more tolerable. “Well you see,” Cadence spoke in a hushed library tone; “The Equestria of a thousand years ago was a far different place than it is now. Back then, ponies of one species didn’t trust each other as easily, and not everyone enjoyed plenty and safety equally. Nopony felt the permanency of two alicorn sisters ruling over them, and that emboldened more bad people back then to think that they ought to rule instead. Bad people like King Sombra.

But today, things are far different. Celestia has protected ponykind for so long and so effectively that hardly anyone can now imagine a world without her. Ponies throughout the land live comfortably, and have no convincing motive to crave more power. Those rotten apples who do tend to get noticed before they cause any real trouble. It’s up to us princesses to make sure... that we use our knowledge of the past to make sure it doesn’t repeat itself.

So no, I don’t expect we’ll ever see another Sombra emerge in our lifetime.”

“Well you see, The Equestria of a thousand years ago was a far different place than it is now. Back then, ponies of one species didn’t trust each other as easily, and not everyone enjoyed plenty and safety equally. Nopony felt the permanency of two alicorn sisters ruling over them, and that emboldened more bad people back then to think that they ought to rule instead. Bad people like King Sombra. But today, things are far different. Celestia has protected ponykind for so long and so effectively that hardly anyone can now imagine a world without her. Ponies throughout the land live comfortably, and have no convincing motive to crave more power. Those rotten apples who do tend to get noticed before they cause any real trouble. It’s up to us princesses to make sure... that we use our knowledge of the past to make sure it doesn’t repeat itself. So no, I don’t expect we’ll ever see another Sombra emerge in our lifetime.”

Tourmaline listened patiently to the alicorn's explanation. it was respectful, if somewhat glossed over, she thought. She nodded when the princess seemed done. "But is that necessarily a good thing, princess?" she asked, cautiously. "Is it truly a bad thing to want to do more, to want to be more?"

"Is it really better for us to just live small and comfortable lives at the mercy of those who do have the power?" the filly looked down and sighed. "I don't know. It just seems like things were so much more fantastic in the age in which I was born. Even Sombra, as terrible as he was, was proof of how far aspirations could take a pony. But this modern age we were brought to it...it just seems so..."

Tourmaline trailed off. She couldn't find a word that fully expressed her sentiment. She glanced back toward the others in the library.

"Garnet, Tournmaline, is there anything I can help you with?"

"Nah, I think I'm ok Miss Tome. How about you Tourmline, are you ok?"

Tourmaline could detect something very odd in the tone of the old librarian, but she had no idea what she was trying to get at. She was often quite oblivious when it came to dealing with others. Garnet seemed kind of off as well. He was looking at her strangely, almost expectantly. She had no idea what any of it meant.

"I am fine now as well, thank you," she said simply, not really sure what to think. She glanced at the two and then toward the princess, confused. She felt as if she was missing something crucial in the implications.

Having visited with all of the other patrons of the library and with each one telling her they were fine, Tilly Tome quickly returned to Dashing Blade.

"Thank you for your patience, sir," the elderly Crystal pony librarian said calmly. "Now I stand ready to assist you in your quest for knowledge. You did mention something about Crystal Empire architecture, There are plenty of old books and scrolls on that topic here in the main room and over in our Reserve Room. Was there any particular type or time period of architecture you were looking for?"

2w6dy09.jpg

"Is it really better for us to just live small and comfortable lives at the mercy of those who do have the power? I don't know. It just seems like things were so much more fantastic in the age in which I was born. Even Sombra, as terrible as he was, was proof of how far aspirations could take a pony. But this modern age we were brought to it...it just seems so..."

“Constraining?” Cadence attempted to finish the sentence for Tourmaline. The princess reminded herself that the crystal filly lived in a time when everything was in flux. Right outside one’s home town, danger could be found literally around every corner. Back then, when the Royal Sisters shared the burden of defending ponykind against its biggest threats, ponies in every corner of Equestria needed local heroes too, who whether they be skilled with the sword or in the arcane or even just knew how to command people, could ward off everything else that the Princesses were too busy to handle. In other words, Tourmaline’s past world could have been lifted straight out of Oubliettes & Orges-

That gave Princess Cadence an idea, actually. “I think I know what you’re going through. The world a thousand years ago wasn’t anywhere near a paradise,” the pink alicorn put a reassuring foreleg on Tourmaline’s back; But it was still the home you came from. All your expectations about how to live life were formed in those times. So when one day, things go ‘poof’ and you find yourself flung a thousand years into the future, the world has become a stranger place. Where everything to you seems... artificial. Even saccharine, compared to everything you were accustomed with.”

Princess Cadence let go of the crystal filly; “We can never change things back to the way they were, but there might be one way for you to reexperience the fantastical past you lost. Meet Prince Shining Armor when you can and get him to talk about the game he plays; it’s called Oubliettes & Orges. If Shining Armor can give you tips on how to start out, then I think you’ll grow to really like O&O.”

When the two foals and the librarian started talking with each other, Cadence felt something off between them. She didn’t get the sense that the two kids jived well together. That was fine; sometimes, ponies were just too different from one another to form especially-close bonds of friendship, even though Twilight Sparkle would earnestly argue otherwise. “I think Garnet is interested in getting back into his students, Ms. Tome,” the princess said to eliminate the tension from the study area.

The librarian went on her way to take care of another patron, leaving three ponies alone in the reserve room. Out of curiosity, Cadence quietly asked Garnet; “What are you studying today?”

Garnet Facet let out an annoyed sigh, maybe a little louder than he intended. He had a plan that would have worked perfectly, but there was one problem: Tourmaline. The inquisitive yet strange pony insisted upon holding a debate with Princess Cadence about the safety of the Crystal Empire, going as far as to mention a name that even gave the confident black stallion chills: Sombra. It wasn't like he'd ever return to threaten the land, right? Even worse was the fact that now the old librarian seemed to have some plan of her own, something that although unsure exactly what it was involved both him and Tourmaline from the way she looked at the two of them.

"I am fine now as well, thank you,"

Well, there was something that at least the spiky red manned pony could agree with his fellow classmate. Still she looked as though he was as just as part o the problem as the meddling librarian. Still Tilly Tome moved onto another pony visiting the librarian making it one step closer to meeting the Princess.

"Um... do you know why the librarian was acting so strangely at us?" Garnet said to Tourmaline while checking his body to make sure there wasn't something out of place. Sure it was yet another long shot trying to get the filly to at least say hello, but it was worth a try.

“What are you studying today?”

"Well Princess Cadence," Garnet said while trying to turn on his charm, "My teacher wants me to do a bor... I mean a book report on the history of the Crystal Empire, but I don't know where to start. History really isn't my strongest class. Can you suggest where I can start?"

• 4 weeks later...

"Um... do you know why the librarian was acting so strangely at us?"

Tourmaline shook her head at once. "No, I noticed the oddness too, but I haven't the faintest idea what it's about," she said dismissively. The old librarian was probably just assuming things that weren't to be assumed. She quickly looked back toward

“Constraining? I think I know what you’re going through. The world a thousand years ago wasn’t anywhere near a paradise, But it was still the home you came from. All your expectations about how to live life were formed in those times. So when one day, things go ‘poof’ and you find yourself flung a thousand years into the future, the world has become a stranger place. Where everything to you seems... artificial. Even saccharine, compared to everything you were accustomed with.”

There was comfort in the princess' words and in her hoof on Tourmaline's back. She was surprised, but the first time she felt somehow actually impressed with this new princess. She might have even smiled in earnest for a moment as her sweet voice put to words the matter at the heart of Toutmaline's dissatisfaction with where she was now. She was struggling to adapt. She had been learning all her short life, only for the things she learned to be turned on their head just as she understood them. She had been through so much, seen such darkness, and now here she had been thrown into this world where it all seemed too easy, like they everything was being done for her. Something in her just couldn't reconcile that, so she looked to more challenging worlds, both in the distant past and in her fantasies.

“We can never change things back to the way they were, but there might be one way for you to reexperience the fantastical past you lost. Meet Prince Shining Armor when you can and get him to talk about the game he plays; it’s called Oubliettes & Orges. If Shining Armor can give you tips on how to start out, then I think you’ll grow to really like O&O.”

Tourmaline stared with uncertainty at the alicorn as she spoke those words. "I have heard of the game. Someone told me I should try it, a bookstore owner when I visited Canterlot. He said I'd likely enjoy Oubliettes and Orges since I enjoy the work of writers like E.W. Moon, V.T. Skybrand and G.S.S. Feathersquall," she admitted, recalling much. "I saw some guide books there... and it did look interesting... but..."

She looked down, a sadness clear in her. "It's not like I've ever had anyone to play games with..." she said more quietly. She was surprised she said it at all, but the kindness of the princess had somehow reached even her.

“What are you studying today?”

"Well Princess Cadence,My teacher wants me to do a bor... I mean a book report on the history of the Crystal Empire, but I don't know where to start. History really isn't my strongest class. Can you suggest where I can start?"

Tourmaline listened in as Garnet spoke of his assignment. "Oh, that report for history? I finished that days ago," she said. "It was really quite easy. Our teacher only wanted three pages, but I gave her twenty four. A full critique of the past three ruling regime, their historically relevant decisions and their ramifications."

She nodded, but then looked toward Cadance, recalling she was one of the leaders of said regimes. "Though I may revise it some later.... I may have been a little too harsh in parts," she said, looking away kind of shyly.

• 2 weeks later...

2w6dy09.jpg

Judging by the sound of it, Tourmaline didn’t have any friends to play with. Princess Cadence understood that any number of reasons existed for the crystal filly’s lack of pals. So she’d start her additional inquiries with a softball question lacking any negative connotation. “Hmmm, do crystal ponies your age not share the same interests as you?” Cadence asked, hoping that Tourmaline would open up with a more detailed response.

A smile escaped Princess Cadence’s lips as Tourmaline revealed how she went above and beyond in her history assignment. That filly and Twilight Sparkle would definitely get along well together. But Garnet needed to know how to start out with his own report, and Cadence was very willing to set him on the right path. “Have you asked the librarian to help you find a book about the Empire’s history, Garnet? I’m sure Ms. Tome could find something for you that can be read by ponies who have trouble with history.”

"No, I noticed the oddness too, but I haven't the faintest idea what it's about,"

Garnet merely shrugged off the strange antics of the librarian. Maybe it was her oldness that made her act that way. why the red manned crystal pony didn't even have the foggiest idea what Tilly was getting at. Unless... Nah! How could she even consider that because they were in the same class that she and him were... Garnet shook off tho notion as that really wasn't on his mind. What mattered was this report.

Oh, that report for history? I finished that days ago It was really quite easy. Our teacher only wanted three pages, but I gave her twenty four. A full critique of the past three ruling regime, their historically relevant decisions and their ramifications.Though I may revise it some later.... I may have been a little too harsh in parts, "

Garent for a moment stared blankly as the filly explained her super over achieving project. The colt wondered if this was just her stating the fact about her project or to just rub it in his face that he didn't even have the project started.

"Twenty four pages! That must have taken... forever. Did you do anything else during that time like sleep of have fun?"

“Have you asked the librarian to help you find a book about the Empire’s history, Garnet? I’m sure Ms. Tome could find something for you that can be read by ponies who have trouble with history.”

Ugh, Garent felt blocked from his scheme. He wasn't going to give up hope though as there was more than one way to approach getting what he wanted.

"I'm sure that Miss Tome has many ideas in mind of where to find books, but right now I need a topic before I go searching the shelves. Tell me Princess Cadence since I'm sure you have a great grasp on the history of the Empire, what would be your favorite part of the Empire's history to study?"

Although she was very busy at the moment, Tilly Tome was besde herself in joy! It wasn't often the elderly Crystal pony mare had so many library patrons to assist at the same time, so she was doing her best to attend to all their needs. After directing Dashing to a section of books he was interested in, she immediately galloped back to the others, arriving just in time to hear Princess Cadance's comment about Garnet getting back to his studies.

"Oh course!" the Crystal pony librarian commented as she carefully listened to the rest of the conversation going on in this section of the room. Tilly Tome realized that it was always best to allow visitors to narrow their subject of research as much as possible in order to minimize book searching time. Her face brightened and her eyes lit up when she heard the subject of history mentioned.

"History!" the elderly Crystal mare neighed. "Our library has a vast section of history books and scrolls! There's even books written right up to the time of.. well.. the reign of King Sombra. We recently added books from around Equestria in order to bring our history resources up to date with the one thousand years of history we Crystal ponies missed during our, exile.."

Speaking of that dark time in Crystal Empire history caused Tilly Tome's body to fade a shade in luster. She tried not to let those terrible memories of the past affect her, but this exact moment in time, they did.

Archived