Alright, it is time for the discussion about Power Ponies, the sixth episode of the fourth season! Finally we get to the much anticipated superhero episode of the season with our first new big bad villain. What will happen? Will the villain become a fan favorite with a million pictures about her? Will we see a ton of power ponies fan comics? Will Pinkie use her powers for other than trolling? Well, watch and discuss, or if you haven't seen yet, guess and discuss! :D We just ask that if you want to discuss said spoilers, please use the spoilers tag. For the rest of us, the episode is of course at 9am (CST) December the 21st.

tumblr_m4tgc3L1jZ1qklcrto1_1280.jpg

This image is 100% canon

The Good: All Mane Six in attendance again, new setting, an over-the-top villain, and new roles for the girls. Continuity with the Everfree Castle was also very important. There's a huge subplot at play, and this continues to keep that story simmering in the background. The focus on Spike was unexpected, but welcome.

The Bad: The explanation at the end was disappointing.

The Ugly:

Flutterhulk! She seriously made the episode. Omg!

7/10, would watch again. It wasn't the best this season, but it offered something new and interesting, especially in terms of character roles, setting, and a villain we probably wouldn't see in any other script.

So...I'm probably going to be in the minority, but other than The Mane-iac and Fluttershy at the end...this episode didn't really do anything for me. The whole thing just fell kinda flat to me. I was more interested in the Castle's Restoration than I was in the storyline about the comic book. Also, the pacing was very rushed. I'd hope we left that behind in Season 3.

Sorry DHX, you bombed out on this one. 1/10.

So the unusual Power Ponies concept we have known about for months now turns out to be a Spike episode? Interesting. I wasn't sure at all what to exect from this, but yeah, after a couple watches I can say it's an effort worthy of our thus far excellent Season four. My full thoughts:

I have always been fond of superheroes and comic book stuff (despite not starting to read the comics themselves until more recently ). That makes it particularly fun to see an episode like this one. Previously, I've been one to give Mare do Well some measure of credit because I thought the superhero references were fun, even with the episodes myriad of flaws. Considering that, I'm glad this episode exists now so I have a fun comic referencing episode I don't have to feel guilt in admitting I like even parts of. As superhero themed episodes of pony go, Power Ponies is simply better.

Now, granted, that's not saying much. Is it a good episode more objectively? Yeah. I'd say it was. I'd probably put it about even with last weeks at the bottom of the season four eps so far, but it was still a lot of fun. It was ultimately a Spike episode as earlier said and just like CMC episodes those can bottom hit or miss. Unlike the CMC, there's yet to be a Spike episode that I consider one of the best; most of his episodes are fairly middle of the road. This would actually probably be upper tier for Spike.It was fun and had a lot going on.Spike himself was about pitch perfect as both an excitable comic book fan and reluctant sidekick.

Of course it helped that all the Mane Six were along and had super powers. Lots of fun references and nicely selected power matches for our ponies. Rarity with her Green Lantern inspired powers was a true scene stealer but I thought most of the powers and costumes were great on the girls. fluttershy was absolutely ludicrous and hilarious at the end with her Hulk form. Poor Twi seemed to fair the worst; almost seemed she was less powerful than before. :razz:

The episode looked great and had a lot of fun action. The Maneiac was silly fun and I liked how they animated her. I thought the episode was well paced too. It was a rather successful little homage to comic books. I like how it worked in the continuing castle plot line too. This season loves its continuity. No episode so far has not referenced an earlier from episode. The explanation for the comic at the end was one of the weaker things. This is a hard thing to just brush off.

All in all though, I think it's mostly because it's a Spike episode that it didn't ultimately resonate with me more than it did. It was a good episode, but despite what nice things I have to say about it, I can't call it any kind of amazing. Still loving the hay out of season four. :)

Cute episode. Loved how the background shots of the 'Shampoo Factory' reminded me a ton of the backgrounds from Batman: The Animated Series.

Pros:

Costumes. The Main Six being versions of comic book characters..Rarity is best Star Sapphire. Spike's Bucket. Applejack slapping that poor minion in the hinder with her rope. Yipes!

Cons: It was cute, but it's one of those episodes I'll probably be happy just watching once.

I'd give this 6.5 Tacos Out Of 10. p53j.gif

1. Good grief, that comic book's a Horcrux!

2. So, Fluttershy was the Incredible Hulk all along! That ought to even the odds!

3. I can pin down that, and Pinkie being Flash, and the Maniac being both the Joker and Doc Ock... I'm not entirely sure about the others though.

(Sighs).....I do not, and I mean do not talk about the show or any of it's episodes in a negative light.

I mentioned previously that I was not looking forward to this episode, and after watching this one this morning. I can only say this.....

I did not enjoy this episode one bit. That's right, I did not like this episode. While there are people who loved it, I hated it. There, I said it. I hated Power Ponies. It is not everyday you see me angry over an episode of a TV show, but this episode actually made me angry at what they did.

I don't want to go into full details, but this episode was all over the shop.

I couldn't keep up with the story, I did not like the Flutterhulk (why they did this I don't know) bit and by the end of the episode I was confused to no end and wonder what the heck happened.

I would continue on at this point, but I just want this episode to be forgotten from my memory.

I'm sorry to those who liked the episode, but as the saying goes:

"You can't please all the people all the time."

:x

This episode was okay, but I was entertained by other S4 episodes more. Plus it seemed like they rehashed Spike's anxiety issue again, or maybe it's just me. Either way, today's episode gets a 3 out of 5.

1. Good grief, that comic book's a Horcrux!

2. So, Fluttershy was the Incredible Hulk all along! That ought to even the odds!

3. I can pin down that, and Pinkie being Flash, and the Maniac being both the Joker and Doc Ock... I'm not entirely sure about the others though.

RD was Thor which i thought was AWESOME Rairity was just a random one they thought up. not sure about Twi. and i think AJ was SORTA Captain America. and of course Flutter-hulk.....

BUT PINKIE SHOULD HAVE BEEN DEADPOOL!!!!!!!! DEADPOOL IS AWESOME WHEN HES NOT BEING EVIL!!!!!! i mean seriously?!?! RD should have been flash!

and yeah. Maniac is Doc Oc and the Joker

This episode was okay, but I was entertained by other S4 episodes more. Plus it seemed like they rehashed Spike's anxiety issue again, or maybe it's just me. Either way, today's episode gets a 3 out of 5.

Actually we've never really seen focus on his feelings of just being there as a supporting character, which he IS, he is always in the background, or left behind, The other spike episodes were about him fitting in/being a Dragon, or him proving how dedicated he was to helping someone, or helping him overcome an aspect of his personality he didn't like (greed) but this was the first time we've honestly gotten a look at how he sees himself, and I'm glad the other ponies assured him that while he IS a supporting character that they both 1: appreciate him and 2: sometimes need him, and it's a very sweet thought =)

RD was Thor which i thought was AWESOME Rairity was just a random one they thought up. not sure about Twi. and i think AJ was SORTA Captain America. and of course Flutter-hulk.....

BUT PINKIE SHOULD HAVE BEEN DEADPOOL!!!!!!!! DEADPOOL IS AWESOME WHEN HES NOT BEING EVIL!!!!!! i mean seriously?!?! RD should have been flash!

and yeah. Maniac is Doc Oc and the Joker

..Rarity was a Green Lantern parody, and Apple Jack was Wonder Woman... :|

I guess saving the entire Crystal Empire wasn't enough for Spike to feel appreciated/needed when it matters most. :ftired:

Yeah, I mean, how many of us have our images forever immortalized on stained glass windows in Canterlot's castle? :shock:

Yeah, I wasn't a huge fan of this one either. It was like the writer had a great idea, but had to rush and finish the script in like an hour or something. And the Flutterhulk and Pinkie jumping into the comic book parts made me roll my eyes a bit. Seems like they're awkwardly trying to mimic everyone's favorite moments from Season 1.

Also, the castle restoration project? Considering how messed up that place is right now, I think they'd need a few construction crews at minimum...

Archived