Crashing is a Good Thing Sometimes (Bellosh101 & Rackenhammer)

Bellosh

1zq8oio.png

Just a few hours ago, Sugar Apple had struggling through what might have been the most stressful day in her entire life. Most of the workforce at the Royal Weather Factory got sick, right on the verge of a vital seasonal deadline. By virtue of being the sole supervisor not infected with the feather flu, it was up to her to look after the entire group of untrained volunteers brought in to resolve the crisis.

It was only after a long day on the job when Sugar Apple finally remembered something else; her plans to visit her coltfriend Earth Writer’s home in Canterlot that evening… and she was already a hour overdue! Hesitant to blow Earthy off just this once, the pegasus hastily prepared to fly out of Cloudsdale. There was no time to waste; none for getting her mane brushed, none for making a characteristic batch of frosting-coated apples, and none for whatever else she promised to bring tonight but couldn’t remember.

A hour or so of flying to Canterlot later, the mare finally reached her destination in the Old Quarter of that district. She visited the section once before with Earth Writer, although not to his house. Either way, Sugar Apple did not get thrown off too much by the narrow and winding streets that defined this section of Canterlot. As the sun finally went down in the west, the tired, unlively pegasus at last made it to her special somepony’s address. Without any hesitation, Sugar knocked on his door, hoping if nothing else to get the chance to crash on a couch and maybe eat something, anything later… maybe.....

It was one of those odd happenstances of life that, just as his special somepony was seeking for a place to crash and rest, Earth Writer was just getting up. Guards and journalists catch sleep when the can, as it isn't unusual for them to be called at any hours to do their duty, and last night had been a doozy. He'd actually gotten his copy in at the last minute from an interview he'd managed to snag with Maximilian Rockefilly, which he hoped would do much to clear up many circulating false impressions, when an 'all hands on deck' had been called in the printing office.

One of the large presses had gone off-line, and the other would have to be double-ponied if the morning edition was to get out in time. Of that long and harrowing night we draw the curtain of charity for now, only revealing that upon looking at himself in a mirror after sleeping off most of the day, Earth Writer discovered that his left cheek had been printed with the letter T in large-point gothic typeface.

He was conscious, as he pottered around his small city home, of having forgotten something important. It was in the middle of a very belated breakfast that he happened to glance at a clock, and found that it was half-an-hour after he had agreed to meet Sugar Apple. He bolted up in a panic, soon submitting to a kind of despair. *She's probably been here, and left already. What must she think of me? I must have looked like I stood her up.* It was a horrible thought.

At last, just as he was beginning to compose a very groveling letter, he heard a knock upon the door and ran to answer it. And there she was! Sugar Apple, the sweet pegasus herself, looking about as much of a wreck as he did, only not so well rested. He looked over her once, and then invited her in. "Yeah... One of those days, eh?" He pointed towards the couch, a little mussed in the cushions, but it must have looked really good to her about now. "I think you could use some rest. Don't strain yourself, you can tell me about it later."

1zq8oio.png

“Errr, uhhh,” Sugar Apple mumbled, trying to think of something that she felt she forgot. Her subconscious remembered there was something she usually did every time she visited somepony’s house, but for the life of her, just couldn’t remember what it was. The only things the pegasus could clearly at that particular moment was that she worked at a weather factory, that her name was Sugar Apple-

Aw drats, the sugar apples! “Oh no,” she sighed; “Ah forgot mah sugar apples at home! Curses. ah knew ah forgot somethin’.” Already, Sugar failed to recall that she didn’t get the chance to make any earlier. The mare was so used to bringing her treats over to places that her instincts automatically kicked in just like that. Turning around, the worn-out pegasus prepared to head back out; “Ah’ll be back; et should only take... two hours t’ come back with mah snacks. Ah’ll be back before you… zzzzzzzzzzzzzz.” Even as she stood, Ms Apple drifted off into sleep.....

Hoo, boy, Sugar Apple was really out of it. Sure, he thought it was really sweet the way her first thought, even exhausted as she was, was for a forgotten courtesy, but the pegasus clearly needed rest before any other consideration. Certainly, she wasn't in any condition to go back outside.

"Whoa there, that's alright. You don't have to... get me anything." Earth Writer finished his sentence as Sugar was literally falling asleep on her feet. Yes, clearly a change of station to the couch for some serious R&R was in the orders. Of course, that confronted the unicorn with a little problem. How was he to get the pegasus from his front door to his couch, without waking her up?

He sat down to ponder the question for a few moments, noticing as he did so that his special somepony was standing right on his welcome mat. *Eureka!* He bent over, gently tugging at the edge of the mat with his mouth and magic, dragging it slowly across the floor until she was standing right in front of the cushions.

"Arrrh..." He stretched and popped his neck as he got back up, shaking his head a few times to restore flexibility, before setting to the next part of his task. Settling most of his weight on his back hooves, he lifted Sugar Apple with his front ones, setting her down as nicely as possible onto the couch. Earth gave a sigh of satisfaction. "Mission Accomplished. Rest well."

The stallion went back into the kitchen, getting out the tea for when she woke up. He was prepared to wait as long as was necessary for her to recover. *And if her day was anything like mine, she'll need it.*

1zq8oio.png

When Sugar Apple regained consciousness, she found herself laying down on a couch. The last thing the pegasus mare remembered, she was going to head out again to retrieve her sugar apples. If Sugar was back here at Earth Writer’s, that must mean that even without her recollections cleared up, she must have gotten back from her trip a while ago!

“Hnnnngh,” moaned Ms Apple, rubbing her head as she slowly opened her eyes; “Hey Earthy, uhhh, could ya’ bring me a couple of them sugar apples ah brought back? Ah’d most appreciate et, hun.” In due time, the pegasus would remember that she didn’t even get around to making them before she arrived in Canterlot.....

Sugar Apple's timing was serendipitous, as Earth Writer had just finished getting the tea and biscuits ready. Not 'biscuits' as most Canterlot and all Trottingham ponies understood them; the Ponyville-reared unicorn still persisted in calling those cookies. No, these were what he would call proper biscuits; buttery, flaky pan-baked circles of dough that made for solid nourishment.

He'd just finished setting them out on a tray with butter and jam when he heard Sugar Apple stirring in the next room. "Just a minute!" He called out, levitating the tray with care and bringing it to the couch. "Sugar Apples? No, you brought those last time. It's my turn to cater. With biscuits!" He showed the tray with a proud grin, which faded by degrees. "Though, I kind of didn't make them myself. Never quite got the knack; mom sent them from home." His smile now quite thoroughly sheepish, Earth Writer pushed a cup of tea towards his marefriend. "Here, you'll feel better after a cup. You looked a bit the windingoes had been hounding you when you came to my door."

• 2 weeks later...

1zq8oio.png

"Sugar Apples? No, you brought those last time. It's my turn to cater. With biscuits! Though, I kind of didn't make them myself. Never quite got the knack; mom sent them from home."

Sugar Apple could have sworn that she was supposed to have brought some of her treats over to Earth Writer’s. It’s what she always did when she came over to somepony’s home, ever since she learned how to make them as a filly. But any food was good food in the mare’s book, and Sugar thanked her coltfriend for the biscet offering by immediately shoveling one into her mouth. “Thnks hunmm,” she intelligibly mumbled in the middle of chewing, not bothering with manners.

"Here, you'll feel better after a cup. You looked a bit the windingoes had been hounding you when you came to my door."

Washing out her mouth with a drink of tea, Sugar Apple now felt just good enough to let off a tired sigh; “Ah reckon we actually could have summoned th’ windingoes back t’ Equestria t’day ett work. Pretty much ev’rythin’ thet could git wrong, did go wrong.....”

The lack of manners didn't bother Earth Writer much; he wasn't inclined to count the fallen crumbs himself as he had his own biscuit. "If you want, I have some jams sent by my aunts and uncles. All kinds of fruit, heck, even got an 'apricot jalepeno' variety." He raised the jar label with short laugh. "I'm the only one who eats it, though." His collection of condiments and seasonings was indeed impressive, and since he lived alone, they weren't used up very fast. Over time, he'd accumulated such a stock that it dwarfed the actual varieties of food he kept. At least no meal was ever bland in his flat, though on occasion he'd cooked up messes that even he could not stomach.

He sat back with his own tea, levitating the cup for a sip as he began to hear about Sugar Apple's day at work. Unconsciously, he began to rub the large letter printed onto his cheek. "Heh, I think I know what you mean." A memory of hastily-set type bubbled into the front of his mind, and he blinked. "That... wouldn't have anything to do with the multi-colored rain they were getting over by the Western frontier?" The reporter had the stories in that morning's paper printed upon his mind almost as firmly as if they'd been stamped by the very presses he'd manned in the night. He hadn't thought about them much at the time, but now certain ones relevant to his special somepony's workplace began to come back to him....

• 2 weeks later...

1zq8oio.png

"Heh, I think I know what you mean. That... wouldn't have anything to do with the multi-colored rain they were getting over by the Western frontier?"

“Uggggh,” Sugar Apple didn’t want to recall that bad work day, but she should have known that Earth Writer would bring that incident up somehow. If he didn’t, it would have made him a very poor journalist, after all. But hey, maybe it was also a good thing to get everything off her chest. Sugar always felt better after a hard time after confiding in somepony, and she was sure that Earthy would make a good listener to her story. The unicorn journalist would have made a poor journalist otherwise.

But first, to take up the offer for a snack. “Once ya’ git some jam, ah’ll tell ya’ all ‘bout mah day,” replied the pegasus, with slightly more strength than earlier.

"All-righty, then!" Having had the advantages of rest and nourishment over Sugar Apple, Earth Writer was considerably more chipper as he went about his task, bringing out the assortment of fruit spreads for his marefriend's pleasure. "Let's see... Wild Blueberry jam, blackberry jelly, and blackcurrant jelly, which I have to say is my new favorite." He chuckled, bringing out the rest. "Strawberry, raspberry, and orange marmalade. Enjoy! From what I suspect, you have more than earned it."

From the tone of her voice, the unicorn had gathered that technicolor precipitation wasn't the half of what the weather manager had had to deal with in the factory. He hoped that he wasn't stirring up anything too traumatic, but he was curious, partly about the situation itself, but partly because it was something that had happened to his own special somepony, and therefore, it mattered to him.

• 2 weeks later...

1zq8oio.png

With fruit-flavored sustenance finally entering into her system, Sugar Apple felt agreeable enough to start her mild-mannered rant; “Eff ya’ know ‘bout thet feather flu outbreak in Cloudsdale, ya’ll know thet means nearly all th’ workers an’ supervisors at th’ factory are out sick. So ah had to look after a bunch of untrained volunteers...” A couple minutes of strained storytelling later; “...And thet’s how Vapor Dep got covered in rainbows. Princess Luna had t' sort th' whole mess out herself in th' end.” With the most stress-inducing part of Sugar's day now explained, now was time for a jam break.....!

It was said that stressful experiences, once survived, made great stories that could be told and listened to with enjoyment. The events surrounding the weather factory, however, still seemed a little too raw for Sugar Apple to contemplate them calmly.

Earth Writer could picture it, an expert in the field watching a bunch of amateurs make the sort of mistakes that she didn't think anypony would have to warned about because they were just so obvious and all the little issues snowballing into one big disaster. He could well understand a desire for jam after being through that. "I hope nopony holds that against you on your record. Still, thank Celestia it's over, right?" He raised his teacup in a kind of toast, sipping it.

"I've a had similar kind of day, or rather, night, myself. You wanna hear about how I got my new tattoo?" The journalist smiled as he pointed to the capital T printed on his cheek.

1zq8oio.png

Joining in Earth Writer’s toast at the end of her rant, Sugar Apple gulped down her entire cup of tea in one sip. She might have done it a bit sloppily too, as a couple drops missed their mark and fell on the couch the pegasus sat down in. Indifferent to the small mess, Sugar wiped most of the spilled tea drops with a swipe of her foreleg, although it wouldn’t get rid of the stain. Ah well, hopefully the boyfriend wouldn’t mind having to clean that up later.

Sugar Apple’s mouth dropped as she finally noticed the capital T on Earthy’s cheek. How did she fail to notice that thing WAY earlier? Good thing she already swallowed her tea moments ago; otherwise, she’d have to do a spit take. After the shock of the revelation came confusion, and the pegasus mare just had to ask with a deadpan expression; “How in th’ wide world of Equestria did thet happen? Surely, an interesting tale would explain just how somepony wound up tattooed with a T.....

Honestly, Sugar Apple's spill wouldn't be the first stain the couch had picked up over the course of Earth Writer's occupancy of the flat, though these others were hid by strategically placed pillows. He didn't pay the spill any mind, only offering a napkin by magically lifting it over to his marefriend. "Sorry I forgot to get you one of these."

The unicorn cracked up at seeing the pegasus' reaction when she finally saw his facial decoration. "You don't like it?" He said, with a mock hurt expression, before laughing again. "Well, here's what happened: the feather flu actually hit us too, though not so hard, since most of us on the paper aren't pegasi. Still, it left the printing room understaffed, and then, just as I was turning in my copy for the morning edition, we got an SOS: one of the presses had broken down, and we'd need to double-pony the other if we were to have any hope of meeting quota. Well, the editor got up and press ganged everypony in the building to work the press."

He sighed, and laid back. "It was pretty awful at first. There were really too many of us crowding around one machine, getting in each other's way. It didn't help that the editor was yelling at us, without any clear idea himself of what we ought to be doing. Well, he got his tail caught in the mechanisms, and we had to put it on a hard shutdown before he was flattened out and shipped to the newsies. The sudden stop caused the inked type to fly everywhere, and one of the title letters hit me." Here he indicated the 'tattoo' with a hoof, draining his cup.

"Well, after that, we calmed down, and the editor went over to the crew dawdling over repairing the other press and put the fear of Celestia into them, and sometime around 3 AM they got it working again, and we managed to get it all printed and shipped by sunup." It was easy to relate the tale now, though at the time it all had seemed like a never-ending nightmare. "So yeah, my day was a bit like yours; it all worked out, though I couldn't tell you how."

• 2 weeks later...

1zq8oio.png

Snatching Earth Writer's levitating napkin with her muzzle, Sugar Apple made good use of it to wipe her foreleg clean. Even though it felt wrong to do so, the pegasus delighted to hear how her coltfriend's day paralleled her very own. Even right down to a manager who lacked a clear idea on what he was supposed to do; at least, if those complaints about Col. Pummel from the Vapor Dep volunteers were legitimate. But thankfully, Earth's story had a happy ending to it too; learning that rose Sugar's spirits up considerably.

But now the mare had a big question to ask; "So hun, how are ya' gonna' git rid of thet dang letter tattoo? Ya don't wanna have t' explain t' yer folks about why ya' have it all th' time, right?" To be blunt, Sugar Apple would also think it odd if Earthy's face looked like that for the rest of his days. And she was sure that her special unicorn felt the same way too.....

"Hummm...." Earth Writer rubbed his facial decoration ruefully with one hoof. "I was hoping it would wash off easily, but it may take a few days for the ink to wear off. The smudge will last a lot longer, but I've already got a black muzzle, so it won't look too bad, hopefully." His eyes grew thoughtful for a moment, though, as if actually considering the prospect of making his accidental adornment permanent. "I've grown to be fond of old-fashioned typefaces though, and I've seen worse tattoo designs. Not on my face, though, I should think. Maybe I'll get a t-shirt with it or something."

He sighed, and stretched out on the rug beside the couch, looking up at Sugar Apple. Worn out as she might feel right now, she was still a pretty sight for sore eyes right now, after the sort of day it had been. He stayed quiet for a moment or two, just content with her company, before remarking, "You know, I hadn't thought about it before, but our work's quite similar. Both the weather and the morning paper seem to arrive like clockwork, the most routine things in Equestria. Yet, both have to go through hairs-breadth adventures just to arrive at all. Just goes to show, eh?"

1zq8oio.png

Oh that's right; that tattoo was created by ink. Earth Writer would certainly be rid of it in a few days, barring him being inflicted with a curse out of one of those storybooks. As Sugar Apple's boyfriend laid down on the rug, he mused about the similarities that there jobs shared. "Heheh," chuckled the pegasus; "But ah imagine our days ain't usually as dreadful as today either. Ah don't think ah've had an adventure at th' weather factory since like... forever. Ya probably have more on-th'-job stories ah bet, hun." Mirroring Earthy, Sugar laid down on her belly like a couch potato, not eager to do much more than talk or listen.....

Earth Writer grinned when Sugar asked him about on-the-job stories. "Hm, was that a pun?" He asked, somewhat teasingly, before leaning to the side on the front of the couch. "Actually, there aren't really that many 'behind-the-scenes' stories that I've got; most of the exciting things that happen to or near a reporter go into his articles. Of course, I've only been on the job a little while. Besides the Saturday column, which is pretty much about anything that comes into my head, I've only got the coffee shop crime that started my career, the interview with Max Rockefilly, and this latest weather story under my byline. I'm still a colt to the old hooves of Fleet Street."

The unicorn yawned and stretched, climbing up beside his marefriend on the couch. "I guess that's the good part about my job, at least. Distractions from the routine are part of it." He nodded over to the window. "If a migrating dragon crashed through that, I would grab my notebook and interview him, and it would be just one more thing a reporter would do in his work day."

1zq8oio.png

Sugar Apple cracked a grin at her boyfriend's quip. Technically, his job was to write stories for a newspaper, so she could appreciate how her statement could have had a different meaning other than the one she intended. About a minute later, Earth Writer decided to crash on the couch too next to his pegasus companion. "Ya' think et's possible t' catch a dragon fo' an interview hun?" Sugar asked out of jest more than anything else; "Ya'd think he wouldn't stay put long enough fo; ya' t' come and talk t' th' big guy...... uhh, do dragons even speak, Earthy?" Sugar Apple had never seen a real dragon up close before, so all she knew about them was that they were big, had wings, breathed fire, and occasionally wound up destroying things during fights with other dragons.

"Whether or not I could, my dear, it would be my duty to try. The RAF aren't the only ponies honor-bound to face danger." Earth Writer responded to his marefriend's jest with a mock seriousness and dignity, before collapsing into a chuckle. "In all seriousness, though, I can't name a reporter that wouldn't be willing to risk having their mane scorched off in order to be forever known as the one who interviewed the dragon. They'd never have to buy drinks again."

Earth Writer hadn't had any more personal experience with dragons that Sugar Apple, but he'd known a few who studied their ways at University. Not that there was much known about them. "Dragon's can speak, but they're like a perpetually grumpy neighbor. They're not sociable creatures." And that was about the limits of his knowledge.

He scooted a little closer to her on the couch, looking out of the window he mentioned earlier. It didn't offer a view of much more than the building across the street, but he didn't mind so much. The best views in the city were mostly in the public places, and having to go out to them made him not take the sight of all Equestria spread out before him for granted. The stallion stayed quiet for a little bit, before saying, "I've come to really love what I do. It was just supposed to be something I did to earn my daily bread until I could find something better, but now the ink's gotten in my blood, as they say in Fleet Street. How about you?" He turned to Sugar Apple inquiringly. "Do you see yourself making a life in the weather factory, or is there something else you'd like to move on to someday?"

1zq8oio.png

It was when Earth Writer scooched a little closer again when his marefriend came to the conclusion that he’d make a comfortable little pillow. Repositioning herself, Sugar Apple’s head now laid down on the stallion’s side, and she relaxed herself as the other pony kept talking. “To’ bad about them dragons,” Sugar reflected absent-mindedly; “Ya’ know, now thet ah remember, ah saw a few dragons from far away th’ last time I visited Stalliongrad. But them folks seemed to stick t’ th’ factories, and ah didn’t go down over there fo’ obvious reasons.” Who wanted to breathe a whole bunch of smoke on a vacation?

Shortly thereafter, Earthy’s questions made Sugar Apple giggle for a little bit, “Well hun, if it’d be up t’ be, ah’d be makin’ sugar apples ev’ry day of th’ week, heh heh heh,” here, the mare became somewhat more serious; “Ah think ah have several moar years of factory life ahead of me. Once ah git old enough, ah’ll retire with a generous pension, and ah’ll do nothin’ but see th’ world! Go t’ all th’ places ah can’t get t’ now. Maybe ah’d not return t’ Equestria until ah git feeble enough t’ be put in a retirement home.” That thought induced another chuckle from the purple pegasus.

Earth Writer gave a happy sigh as his special somepony leaned into him. Trying not to disturb her too much, he shifted slightly so that her head was resting on the crook of his neck; it gave her more support, and allowed him to lean down and nuzzle Sugar Apple's mane as she giggled.

The laughter was contagious, it seemed, as her chuckling so close to him set him resonating to her humor. "All the international destinations, eh? The Crystal empire, Unyasi, Aquellia... heck, maybe even a few undiscovered countries across the sea. Or even under it!" Picturing the pegasus' reaction to all those wonderful sights gave him a warm feeling inside, as if he were showing off old family treasures. "I hope to be there by your side when you do. Probably still be writing, though. You never really retire from it; just slow down a bit."

1zq8oio.png

"Slow down from it?" Sugar Apple asked quasi-quizzically, not being all that serious; "But thet means ya' couldn't keep yer newspaper job. Ain't thet all 'bout writin' fast? What kin a slowpoke write anyway? Memoirs? Travel articles? Ya' sure won't be able t' cover anotha' Runnin' of th' Leaves as an old stallion, ha ha." Teasing Earth Writer could be very gratifying at times, especially when it made her forget about awful days at work.

But another comment from Sugar Apple's coltfriend deserved greater introspection. So... Earthy was at the stage where he relished the thought of them being together for a very long time. That meant only one possible thing: marriage. With such thoughts running through the unicorn's head, it was only a matter of time before he popped the question. Maybe a year or two from now at tops. Now, Sugar Apple loved her stallion to bits and cherished all the time they spent together, but would she have the conviction to say "yes" when that time of destiny came? No matter how much Sugar thought about their relationship and how much Earth Writer was everything a pegasus mare could ask for, the mental vision of the two of them living together didn't come easily for her.

Perhaps it would later in a few months, but for the time being, envisioning that future remained difficult for Miss Apple. While she thought about what laid in store for the couple, she spaced out and stared into space, acknowledging nothing that happened around her.

Earth Writer laughed along with Sugar Apple. "Oh, by that point, I'll probably be writing books rather than articles. Heck, maybe I'll even branch out into fiction." He was somewhat less facetious than the pegasus; in fact, the journalist had more than once started on writing novel manuscripts, but had never stuck it out beyond 3 or so chapters. "You know, something I'd like to do, but probably won't, is to become the world's greatest hack writer. Take a steady paycheck on some pulp magazine that just churns out stories of chiched characters, and write them better than anypony else. I think that was how A.K. Yearling got her start, speaking of travel in faraway places."

As for himself, Earth Writer hadn't subjected his own remarks to any kind of self-introspection. Perhaps it was simply because he was a stallion, or because this was his first real relationship, but he simply didn't entertain the thought that this was anything but a permanent relationship. Perhaps experience might teach him better, or perhaps it would justify him. He had certainly given a bit more practical thought to the concept of living together, in so far as actually supporting a living.

On the other hand, Sugar Apple did live and work in Cloudsdale, and was likely to do so for some time. Thus, their relationship would probably be long-distance for some time, and closing that gap would not exactly be an easy issue. All that, however, was for a later day. For today, it was enough that they could enjoy each other's company after some very stressful work days.

1zq8oio.png

"...I think that was how A.K. Yearling got her start, speaking of travel in faraway places."

Lost in her own thoughts, Sugar Apple hadn't realized that her coltfriend kept on talking meanwhile. By the time Sugar zeroed in on Earth Writer's words again, he had been speaking of how A.K. Yearling apparently got her start. The tired Sugar was too embarrassed to have Earthy repeat himself, so the mare tried to think of something related to the subject to pretend that she remained attentive; "Oh uhh yeah, thet Daring Do author. Ah might not be a big fan of those sorta' books, but ah like how she encourages ponies t' go out an' travel a lot. Ah think all ponies need t' git out thar' an' broden their horizons, ya' know."

Archived