Daring Do and the Several Signatures (Ended)

Lux

Lore Weaver spent the last crucial minutes checking to make sure that everything was ready. He was fortunate enough to have the privilege of hosting his first ever book signing at his store, and it was going to be great. He was going to host none other than A.K. Yearling author of the famous Daring Do series. He knew that it was an honor to meet an author like her and her presence perhaps would help get his store more coverage.

"Ok, the table and chair for miss Yearling is out, as are books of her latest novel as well as some past ones. Quills and ink pots are ready to go too."

With the final checks, Lore readied himself for A.K. Yearling to make her entrance before the store opened up to the other ponies looking to meet the adventure author.

Welcome to this thread! Here ponies will get the chance to meet with and have signed things by the author A.K. Yearling. Please follow these rules for a better role playing experience: 1) Lore will meet A.K. first, so please wait until I give you the go ahead to post. 2) Please RP your character accordingly so they don't know A.K. is Daring Do as hardly anypony except for the mane six know. 3) Above all, have fun!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

33op7ch.jpg

Today was another big day for author A.K. Yearling. Her newest book in her long-running franchise, Daring Do and the Ring of Destiny, would finally be released to the general public. Of course, if it were up to Ms Yearling, she’d already be back on the outskirts of civilization, figuring out where the adventuring services of Daring Do might be most needed. But as she accepted long ago... with great literary power came great responsibility.

For the promotional event advertising the official release of Ring of Destiny. A.K. Yearling’s publisher had arranged a book signing event that day at a Ponyville bookstore. There wasn’t anything the mare needed to do herself to prepare; as usual, her publisher would make all the arrangements with the bookstore's owner beforehoof, meaning all Yearling had to do was show up and interact with her legions of fans for several hours.

In the author’s experience, occasions like these either turned out to be smashing successes or abominable failures. As part of Yearling’s agreement to sacrifice adventuring time for supporting the Daring Do franchise, Yearling received essentially free reign to make as many demands on promotional event organizers as she pleased. When things worked out and the event organizers promptly attended to her requests, the author ended up relaxing enough to have fun writing personalized messages to everypony who dropped by with a book. However, all it took were a few rude fans who broke their boundaries or incompetent service to remind the author that she had more important things to do than play foalsitter, making the remaining duration of such events a tedious grind to get through.

Dressed in her flowing cloak and floppy hat, the bespectacled A.K. Yearling arrived at the designated bookstore ten minutes before the establishment opened, pleased to see that everything appeared to be in order so far. Aside from a colorful Ring of Destiny poster and a small signing table (complete with a dip pen and a well-stocked ink bottle), her requested royal guard for providing crowd control services was also already there. He’d come in handy in case a fanatic or two needed to be swiftly ushered out of the premises, although something about the armored light orange pegasus made him look... inexperienced. It was as if the Royal Equestrian Army decided to spare their least useful soldier for this humdrum assignment. That wide-eyed stare of the stallion suggested that he may also be a Daring Do fancolt himself.

With time to spare before the book signing began, the author shrugged off her concerns about the guard and used these final minutes to make a final check over with Lore Weaver, making sure that he could attend to her needs. If he could not, this would become a very long day. “Good morning Mister Weaver,” Yearling got the proprietor’s attention in a professionally-forceful manner, walking over to briskly shake the other pony’s hoof; “I see everything looks just about ready. Is there anything I need to be notified about before the book signing begins?”

The sound of the bell above the door ringing signaled the arrival of A.K. Yearling to Lore Weaver's shop. He made one final check before greeting the mare. Lore only had a picture of the mare provided by the publisher but it was enough for the stallion to get a sense of what she looked like rather than some random pony sneaking into the shop to try and be the first in line. As the author approached, Lore realized that there was something strange about the mare. She looked young, about his age and yet she dressed like perhaps an old pony would or at least trying to cover as much of herself as possible. He could only guess that perhaps she was just a more reclusive writer. Interestingly enough also was that she had a yellow coat similar to Daring Do that shown in the places not covered with the dress and hat. Lore guessed that it was no accident that her main character had similarities. After all, writers tended to use what was around them to create characters, settings, and events.

"Good morning as well, Miss Yearling," Lore said shaking her hoof noticing how direct and down to business the mare was, "Welcome to my shop, Textual Treasures. I have to say it is great to meet you and for you and your publisher to choose my store for this book signing. I am also a fan of the series myself, having read each new book as it came out. Perks for being a book seller I guess. Your publisher did provide a great deal of information and advertising which helped me to prepare. As for anything to note, I basically set up things so that ponies would enter and following along the outer walls until they reached your table. After getting a signature and speaking with you they will proceed to wither the rest of the shop if they want to look at other books or to the checkout. So before I open the shop to the ponies, do you have any questions for me?"

33op7ch.jpg

“No,” answered the author matter-of-factly, sitting down in the seat she’d be sitting at for most of the day; “That should just about do it. Just make sure my ink bottle and water glass don’t run out, and that my lunch is served at the proper time.” Lore Weaver would have been instructed previously that A.K. Yearling was to have a large garden salad with shredded cheese toppings at precisely high noon. Seeing all that Mr. Weaver accomplished so far, Yearling trusted that her lunch would arrive on time, and that everything else would be in order (especially with that guard standing at attention to keep the peace).

And now… the event could properly begin; “I think we can start letting my fans in, Mister Weaver.....”

sml_gallery_475_9_45345.png

Standing at the door, the first first pony in line, was a green goggled blonde mare whose nose was pressed against the glass. It was Tankena, affectionately known as 'Tank Mare' who had traveled all the way from Stalliongrad and had even camped out overnight to make sure she was first in line this morning. As the door was unlocked, the excited green Earth Mare bolted inside and trotted right up to the table where A.K. was standing behind.

"Comrade Yearling, my name is Tankena! I come all the way from Stalliongrad to be first to shake your hoof and buy your latest book! I am big fan of your work! You are signing them as well, yes?"

The happy mare was SO thrilled to be first, she was shaking all over with nervous joy! Her smile got wider having now met her favorite author face to face!

gEkbASV.png

This was so exciting! A.K. Yearling was in Ponyville having a book-signing and the painter couldn't be help but feel ecstatic. it seemed at this point that Ponyville was becoming a regular stop for the peppy young painter from Trottingham. She'd met many interesting ponies here and had been involved in many interesting and exciting events in this town... but as much as she loved this place she couldn't keep that room at the local inn forever. She had to get to the road and start having the adventures she'd dreamed of and seeking those fantastical sights that she so longed to paint.

The Daring Do series had actually been a catalyst for sparking her desire to travel as a filly. Exciting adventure, dangerous traps, ancient mysteries, and incredible sights that begged to be brought to the public eye; those were the prospects that called her to the road far away from her family's extravagant manor back home. As a filly Presteza had spent many a late night in her bed with a flashlight reading those exciting stories of a pegasus overcoming incredible odds.

It seemed that she was lucky today as the only pony ahead of her was a green mare with an accent belonging to an inhabitant of Stalliongrad. For now Pressy was alone with her thoughts as Tankena talked to the ... slightly mousy looking author.

"This is so bloody cool! J-just calm down pressy, ya can't look like a crazed fanmare in front o' yer favorite author... jus' play it cool!" she thought to herself as she waited

33op7ch.jpg

The first pony who got the honor of getting a book signed was Tankena, who based on her accent alone, did not need to tell A.K. Yearling that she came from Stalliongrad. Those goggles on the mare's head told Yearling that Tankena worked in an industrial occupation, and that she was highly proud of what she did for a living. The author was actually a bit surprised that a pony like Tankena wound up first in line, namely because she was not one of the usual suspects that Yearling encountered at almost every other one of these book signings. Looks like the obsessive fans couldn’t win every time, after all.

“Yes I am signing books today Tankena,” Yearling answered with a gentle smile, her assigned royal guard meanwhile making himself useful by hoofing the author a new copy of Ring of Destiny from a tall nearby stack; “Hmm, I see you couldn’t wait for the book signing event in Stalliongrad next month. You must be a big fan indeed!” In a merry mood and with the faintest of smirks, A.K. Yearling reached out to Tankena with a hoof to oblige the earth pony’s first request.....

Lore Weaver was taken aback by the directness of A.K. Yearling. It wasn't that the mare was mean, but she certainly didn't win the prize for being the most warm and fuzzy pony in town.

"Water and ink, got it," Lore said as A.K. took her seat. That was easy to remember, and Lore was prepared for both. The kitchen was nearby in the back of the store, ready for any water filling. As for the ink, being that the stallion also sold stationary materials for aspiring writers there was a generous supply of ink available for the author. As for the salad order, Lore realized that this was a crucial thing to remember. The pony appeared to be one who would not accept if things were substituted or missing. This was to be his first test in having writers appear at his shop and Lore was determined to ace it.

"Alright then Miss Yearling, let's begin," Lore said flipping the wooden sign from Closed to Open. Immediately a pony appeared, ready to meet the author. It didn't take a genius to know that this pony was not from Ponyville or even Canterlot with her accent.

"Hello," he said as the mare made a beeline to the author's table. He knew that A.K. Yearling could handle herself and this mare didn't look like some crazed fan pony. Lore remembered reading a book about a writer being taken to a house of a crazed fan who forced him to rewrite the recent story that the writer had a draft with him. Lore made a note not to tell A.K. about that story until perhaps after.

A second pony crept in, this one a little more shy than the first. He thought that he can try and put the mare at ease.

"Hello there. Welcome to my bookstore. You are looking to meet A.K. Yearling, right? Well, she is a nice pony so don't worry about meeting her. Do you have something that you want her to sign like a book? If not there are several books she wrote available here, including many of her newest book, The Ring of Destiny. Of course if you are interested in other books, feel free to browse the store afterwards."

Tankena squealed with delight as she shook A.K.'s hoof with much enthusiasm.

"Da, Comrade! I could not wait till you came to Stalliongrad because I love your books SO much! I read them for pleasure back when I was attending Canterlot University. Daring Do was big inspiration for me while I was earning my degree. Many of my unicorn classmates looked down on me and would tease me because I wasn't rich and cultured like them. But I didn't let their mean words stop me! I vowed to be like Daring Do, to work hard and use my mind to solve problems! When I got my degree, I graduated top of my class. Those unicorns classmates of mine were angry about that, but I worked harder and smarter than they did! And I owe my success to you and your books! That is why I travel long distance to be first in line today! Thank you, Comrade Yearling, for bringing Daring Do into the life of this quiet, shy Stalliongradian mare."

Tankena then turned to Lore Weaver who was nearby.

"Forgive my bad manners, Comrade! You have lovely book store! It is credit to bookstores in all of Equestria!"

Then she turned to Presteza.

"And I greet you also, Comrade. Please take no offense of what I said about my college classmates. I know all unicorns are not like they are, in fact, some of my best customers are very nice and polite unicorns. I am Tankena, pleased to meet you!"

Pathfinder.png

Pathfinder woudn't dare miss a book signing. She would risk the very darkest death in the darkest, dankest cave before she risked missing just one event. She would risk the most boring existence imaginable, that of a dreary accountant working for dreary clients, before she dared to have such a nightmare as missing an event would entail. She had attended upwards of ninety percent of all signings and other events since she had become a fan and the scant few times she hadn't attended had to do with her time in Talinopolis and the accompanying oubliette time or trapped by various forces across the world. She lived a life of action and sometimes action meant she was just a smidgen too knocked out or prisonfied. Prisonfied was the worst. Well, actually it was cool because a unusual amount of them were created on top of buried cities.

But she was a few minutes late and that was just as bad! She often tried to be the first one in line because she had a lot to say and a lot to talk about with Yearling every time they spoke, even if it was through lawyers. But today was different. She had just got out of a few hairy situations in the Everfree and reached Ponyville early in the morning as a gentle rain roiled over the area invitingly. It was the perfect situation and time for a quick little nap, seeing as sleep had evaded her just as easily as she evaded bills and liens against her. But when she did sleep, boy did she. She sawed all the logs in the forests of dreamland on a cloud far above, missing the earliest part of the ceremony. She woke up and mourned her lateness before bucking up, bucking out, and racing to the store where it was to take place!

Of course she was late and there were others in front of her, fellow Daries having THEIR WHOLE LIVES VALIDATED BY YEARLING'S SIGNATURE. Not Pathie of course, she had loads of signatures from the author. Most of them were even willing! Pathfinder tore the skies towards the shop, cracking the sky with her energetic speed before landing with a thud, four hooves each about a full hoof into the ground, immediately leaping up and down in position for a second before removing her hat, setting her mane, and entering the store.

30bp6ir.jpg

A.K. Yearling did not want to be too much of a fuss ball towards her fans, but she couldn’t help but feel that several things were off about what Tankena just said. For one thing, the author was vaguely familiar enough with the Canterlot elite to know that plenty of earth ponies comprised its ranks too (upper-class pegasi admittedly were not as common in the Canterlot area). Secondly, Yearling personally knew no unicorn at all who expressed prejudice against earth ponies for whatever reason. Either Tankena held Canterlot ponies in low esteem on account of a couple of bad apples, or she was envisioning false memories of being mocked by her peers. Yearling did know for certain that a rambling mare who viewed herself as quiet had to be pretty misguided.

Yet A.K. Yearling kept a smile on her face; her ability to get reads on ponies served her well on adventures, but it needn't affect the mare’s ability to exhibit professionalism. Paying close attention to Tankena the entire time, Yearling waited for the other mare to finish before self-deprecatingly chuckling; “If you read the interviews I’ve given, you’ll know that I never finished college. Who knows? I might have gotten my degree if I had written Quest for the Sapphire Stone earlier, and got the inspiration to stick it though.”

After stifling another chuckle, Yearling opened the book in front of her to the blank inside cover. Grabbing her dip pen in her mouth, the author then began the process of writing her personalized message to Tankena. The other mare however passed the time by chatting it up with the customer behind her and Mr. Weaver; shy Stalliongrad mare indeed.....

Fun fact: next time you analyze the background Canterlot elite, note how one can easily find unicorns and earth ponies, but no pegasi.

Tankena could sense that her story had either offended or upset her favorite author. She didn't mean to do that, not at all, and this worried the green Earth mare.

"Comrade Yearling!" she neighed as the glasses wearing author signed her book, "please forgive me for upsetting you. I did not mean to imply that I was superior to you or anypony else because I have college degree. My parents are wonderful, smart, creative ponies and neither of them had much formal schooling. Comrade Yearling, you have superior natural writing talent! You are remarkable mare! The insight you write with, its almost as if you are a part of each of your stories! That is a great gift that I can only dream of possessing! You are greatest fiction writer in world! I salute you in song!"

Immediately producing her ballilaika as if from thin air, the green Stalliongradian mare began to play and sing.

"A K Yearling, you are the best!

No pony ever wrote with such zest!

A K Yearling, I love Daring Do!

And now I do my dance for you!"

Now Tankena started to do the traditional hiskop (sp) dance of her native land as a tribute to A K Yearling. Up on her hind legs, she kicks out one leg at a time in rapid fashion. She is quite skilled in the dances of her native Stalliongrad!

WWWXRbf.jpg

"Hello there. Welcome to my bookstore. You are looking to meet A.K. Yearling, right? Well, she is a nice pony so don't worry about meeting her. Do you have something that you want her to sign like a book? If not there are several books she wrote available here, including many of her newest book, The Ring of Destiny. Of course if you are interested in other books, feel free to browse the store afterwards."

The mare looked to Mister Lore Weaver and gave him a smile,"That's right, I uh... sure am. I'm a li'l nervous ta meet 'er actually..." she said in a slight hesitant tone. I was obvious she wasn't from around ponyvillle, her voice bearing the distinct local flavor of a pony from trottingham. With the bookstore owner bringing up that Miss Yearling's newest book was on for sale she smiled a bit wider,"Oh yea! Could I get a copy o' the new book when I'm up?"

"And I greet you also, Comrade. Please take no offense of what I said about my college classmates. I know all unicorns are not like they are, in fact, some of my best customers are very nice and polite unicorns. I am Tankena, pleased to meet you!"

It seemed that the green mare in front of her had taken an interest in Presteza for the moment, she really hadn't been paying much attention to her and Miss Yearling's conversation but from what tankena said it seemed it had something to do with a bad impression of unicorns. The only ponies she knew who had given her a bad impression were some of the snootier members of the Trottingham upper class and even then there were quite a few snooty earth ponies in that mix. Really all she could bring herself to say was,"Oh uh, Non taken... anyway It's nice ta meet ya too. I'm Presteza, Adventuring artist and Equestria's future greatest painter." Seeing as she had a momentary opening she gave a shy wave to the slightly mousy looking author ahead.

Suddenly Tankena returned to speaking to Miss Yearling and began to sing a song for her... well she was lively if anything. Seeing as she had nothing better to do she sat down and waited in line enjoying the performance while it lasted. While she listened to the music she failed to notice the entrance of a familiar pegasus entering the bookstore...

138656489620s.jpg

Spitfire flared her wings and relaxed, allowing her momentum to glide her the rest of the way to the packed earth below. With a soft skid transitioning into a relaxed gait, the pegasus shook out her windblown mane and started down the main boulevard into Ponyville. Today was one of those rare days: no training and no public appearances. As such, she didn't wear her iconic uniform and had merely mussed her tail and mane before heading out.

While Cloudsdale was great, it was a little sparse on the diversity aspect: only pegasi lived there. Thus nearly every product and service was geared toward the winged ponies. Today Spitfire wanted an in-depth reference book on the best ways to brew hearty ales, and frankly she thought earth ponies were much better at it. So here she was, no all she needed to find was a bookstore.

"That was easy," she muttered, watching two fillies dash past, squealing about some bookstore just down the road.

Following their retreating forms, her eyes fell upon just the place: Textual Treasures. It sounded a bit airier than what she was looking for, but it never hurt to check. After all, the owner might like relaxing drinks like she did. With a shrug, Spitfire trotted down the lane and shouldered the door open to be greeted by an unexpected sight. A.K. Yearling was signing copies of her newest book today, apparently. The pegasus knew many ponies who were rabid fans.

With a smirk she slipped past the ponies waiting in line and moved toward the rows of books beyond, resolving to get a signed copy of Yearling's novel before she left. Those things always made great gifts, after all.

"Forgive my bad manners, Comrade! You have lovely book store! It is credit to bookstores in all of Equestria!"

"Oh no need to apologize," Lore said to the green earth pony who was first in line, "I'm glad that you like my bookstore. I can't say if mine is the best in all of Equestria, but I try my best to make it nice for customers."

Lore found it a little unsettling to hear Tankena talk about Canterlot ponies since Lore was born and raised there. He tried his best to show that not all were the stereotypical snooty rich ponies from Canterlot. But now was not the time. Right now he had to make sure the lines were ok and that ponies were having a good time. More ponies started to file into his store, waiting to meet the author. One in particular was a Pegasus that strangely looked like A.K. Yearling's eponymous character Daring Do. Naturally, fans of the series came in all types, but Lore wanted to make sure that this one wasn't some crazed fan.

"Good morning and welcome to my store," he said to the Pegasus, "It looks like you're ready to meet A.K. Yearling, aren't you?"

The unicorn then spoke about her nervousness regarding meeting the author and inquired if there were books available. From the looks of things, she seemed like a shy pony.

"No need to be nervous. Just talk to A.K. Yearling like you would with any other pony. She's very nice to get to know. As for books, there are several copies of all of the Daring Do series on sale, including her latest book The Ring of Destiny."

Lore then noticed a new pony entering the store, and from the look on her face she had never been there before. Even more so, the Pegasus didn't seem to know that there was a book signing going on until she stepped in line. But the biggest surprise came when Lore realized that this pony was none other than Spitfire, Captain of the Wonderbolts.

"Welcome to my store, Spitfire. I must say it's a real treat to meet you. I've watched the Wonderbolts perform in Canterlot as a colt and loved seeing all those neat aerial stunts. Are you here to meet A.K. Yearling or is there some kind of book that you need?"

30bp6ir.jpg

Busy writing her message, A.K. Yearling wasn’t able to pay close attention to Tankena like she could earlier. As a matter of fact, the other mare’s racket seemed to only get louder with each passing second, at least in Yearling’s mind. The author tried nodding here and there to act like she was paying attention, but found her concentration almost broken when Tankena broke out into a Stalliongrad dance. If Tankena behaved this poorly mannered when she was a student… Yearling could see how that mare may have rubbed other students the wrong way.

Yet for all that loud noise, Yearling kept her cool and resisted the urge to yell at the fan to quiet down. Unless Tankena had stalker tendencies, this was very much likely the last time the Daring Do author would meet this pony in person, and there wasn’t much reason for an outburst yet. In a stroke of good timing, Yearling finished her message just as the dance ended:

To Tankena:

Thank you for being a dedicated fan of my Daring Do books. May they continue to inspire you in every manner of your life, and may your boisterous voice never fade away.

~A.K. Yearling

“It was a pleasure meeting you,” Yearling concluded the meeting, hoofing the signed book over to Tankena; “I hope you enjoy Ring of Destiny, Tankena.” When the first fan in line moved on, the author warmly signaled on over an orange unicorn with a distinctive hat; “Next please.....”

Tankena can now browse through the rest of the bookstore; Presteza's next up to meet A.K. Yearling.

Receiving her signed copy from A K Yearling, Tankena gave the author a polite bow.

"It is honor to receive this! Thank you, Comrade Yearling, for everything!" the green Earth mare neighed as she leaped up and down in delight. "I hope you will come back to this great bookstore when you write next book! That will give me time to write new songs to sing about you! Maybe I even invent new dance too! The Daring Do hiskop! Da! That would be fantastic! I know! I could reread all your books and then come up with the steps for the Daring Do hiskop!"

Now taking her book, she walked over the Lore Weaver.

"I know you sell wonderful books, do you also sell books of sheet music?"

jz52ugu.jpg

Ponyville was always such a nice town, lively, full of colorful characters, and once in a while even exciting. Silver Belle's carriage route always came through this place when she was asked to hold a lecture at Celestia's school for talented unicorns.

The Noblemare's carriage was being pulled by a pair of armor clad stallions, obviously belonging to the ranks of the R.E.A. She honestly would have preferred a more inconspicuous mode of transportation but it seemed her slightly hard headed husband in the guard had arranged for a small escort to bring her home. The two stallions seemed pretty happy to be of assistance and said to tell them if they needed anything. Their hearts were in the right place but going through the same trip back and forth between Canterlot and home could be so terribly dull since on the way she rarely had any chance to stop anywhere in the city for her own benefit and when she got out of her lecture she was usually too tired to do anything but rest on the way home. Today however was a bit different as the lecture had ended a bit earlier than she had expected and in a certain letter she found out that her daughter may very well be in Ponyville ... and speak of sombra, there she was entering a quaint looking bookstore with a banner over it; apparently there was some sort of event!

It took a while to get the guards to agree to let her get out and wander the town but she proved to be very persuasive. A few sweet looks and sad eyes in the guard's direction and they decided they could use a bit of a break.

Soon the carriage pulled up before the small bookshop and out came the mare within, her coat was a beautiful silvery grey and her mane an almost ethereal silvery white. It was obvious how she got the first part of her name. She covered up some of her body in a very expensive, but not flashy looking cloak that now hid her tail and hind legs from view for the most part. "You two, take the carriage somewhere out of the way so it doesn't disrupt the owner's business... and thanks again." Said the mare with a wink before the two guard ponies and her carriage took off.

Once she entered and saw exactly what was happening she let out a nostalgic chuckle while she checked out the various decoration,"Daring Do... Of course that's what she'd be here for." The most this pony knew about Daring Do was the name of the series really... despite having read quite a lot in her life, Belle really hadn't gotten to read A.K. Yearling's famous series... but her daughter seemed to positively love these books. It seemed she even was planning to make a purchase as she was talking to somepony who seemed to work there.

It seemed two others ponies had come in before her and seeing as her daughter had been called she would have to kill some time until her daughter finished speaking with the pony in the floppy hat; presumably she was the author of the books. There seemed to be at least two three ponies Belle could chat with, one of her choices was definitely somepony worth chatting with. She nonchalantly took a pair of the latest Daring Do books and levitated one into her own saddlebag and the other toward Spitfire as Lore weaver greeted her.

"Welcome to my store, Spitfire. I must say it's a real treat to meet you. I've watched the Wonderbolts perform in Canterlot as a colt and loved seeing all those neat aerial stunts. Are you here to meet A.K. Yearling or is there some kind of book that you need?"

The book soon floated before Spitfire engulfed in a bright blue aura as the owner of said aura came forward,"I apologize for butting in. But you wouldn't happen to be after one of these would you, Miss Spitfire?"

WWWXRbf.jpg

"No need to be nervous. Just talk to A.K. Yearling like you would with any other pony. She's very nice to get to know. As for books, there are several copies of all of the Daring Do series on sale, including her latest book The Ring of Destiny."

“Next please....."

The last two words were like music to the peppy paint pony's ears, a bright smile spread over her face before she turned to Lore Weaver and spoke to him in a quick tone."Thanks, Mister! I'll remember that! Looks like I'm up!"

She looked like she was ready to gallop over to Miss Yearling's table but instead took a moment and breathed deep to calm herself. She didn't want to look like a crazy fan in front of her favorite author, so she calmly stepped forward and smiled,"Uh... H-hi, Miss Yearling. It's nice ta meet you in pony. Daring Do's awesome adventures are what made me wanna start explorin' and findin' all the cool stuff in the world so I can paint it and show everypony wot's outside Equestria. She's so cool and strong... one day when I'm more experienced I wanna be a lot like her!" While Presteza was managing to hold back the manticore's share of her enthusiasm she was starting to speed up her speech but before she could embarass herself a sound came from her saddlebag.

*Squeak!*

Suddenly a fruit bat pulled itself from her bag and flew over to Miss yearling, dropping something he held in his mouth. The item he dropped appeared to be some kind of Unyasi Artifact although the tiny inscriptions on the trinket were in a language not seen in Unyasi for thousands of years... there was two words that could be made out to anypony who could read the Native written language of Zebra Tribes; "Mbili'Pembe" and "Abada". Both of those terms relating to an ancient myth in Unyasi about a race of ancient two horned unicorns and their secret magic city. After a brief pause as the silver maned unicorn tried to process what just happened... and praying that she wasn't thrown out because of her little flying friend, she took the amulet back and hung it around her neck then whistled to the Bat on Miss Yearling's desk. Soon the creature flew over and rested itself on his master's back,"Sorry about that, Miss Yearling. Fresco can be kinda... excitable."

Pathfinder.png

There was song and dance around the store as some Stalliongrad mare sang the praises of the author! Of course it was an ear bleeding ballad but that meant it was right up Pathfinder's alley. She boogied woogied her bum to it, losing herself in the music for a bit before it died off. That was awkward and cool, which were often married in Pathfinder's mind. The song ended and she was given to looking at what else this book store had in store besides Daring Do. It always shocked Pathfinder that things other than Daring Do existed, let alone were popular enough to sustain as series that had multiple installments. Who the heck would want to read about hairy-hooved micro ponies in odd languages when you could read about a super awesome and cool pegasus mare adventuring in semi-mythocal lands? There was even a fair deal of history in these myths! Humor, adventure, coolness, epicness, history- this story had it all! But she couldn't blame the bookstore owner for trying to get her to give a serious look at his other wares. He ha to make bank somehow! But maybe there was something else here for her...

She ruffled Lore's mane.

"Awww, I got all the Daring Do book already so I don't need anything else book wise! I've never understood why anypony would need anything else. BUUUUT maybe you have something ELSE! these sorta stores often have collectibles and comics, too. I'm missing the limited edition series six Derring Do, Sister of Daring, collectible figurine with holographic foil collectible card. Do you have that? Do you have the latest edition of Power Ponies Unlimited? I've been the Everfree for about sixteen weeks and I'm probably behind. Do you have any replacement binding for notebooks? I'm having trouble keeping mine all together. They don't react well to the stomach acid of Hydras, I've noticed," She blathered on in a stream of consciousness, unabashadly stealing the personal space of Lore Weaver as her barrage of questions continued. Then she saw Spitfire and her attention turned to the Wonderbolt.

Unlike a lot of pegasi, Pathfinder didn't fawn over the Wonderbolts. They were super cool and all, don't get Pathfinder wrong, their daring tricks and moves a wonderful display sure to impress. But they didn't adventure enough to worm their way into her heart of hearts and she saw them at one too many high society functions to find them relatable. But they were still pretty cool and despite pathfinder keeping creepy tabs on all the meeetup groups and fan meetings, she had never thought that Spitfire was a big fan. That made her ten times as cool as she was previously, so she siddled up to the Wonderbolt.

"So cool to see a WONDERBOLT here! I guess Daring Do must be an inspiration for you too, huh? Can't blame you, she is super cool and awesome. Not to mention totally dreamy! Unnf! I bet that you take some hints and tips for some of your cool moves, right? Do you attend any of the Cloudsdale meetups? I've never seen you there but then again I spend most of my time outside of Equestria, adventuring amnd getting poisoned and such. Do you ever get poisoned by zebra mercenaries?" She asked earnestly, nodding her head emphatically as she asked her questions, all buddy buddy like for the Wonderbolt. And then Pressy in front of her was called up and that left space. A Pathfinder sized and shaped space.

It was immediately filled by Pathfinder, who zipped over there in such a flash that she was shocked the building withstood it! Three copies of Ring held in her mouth as she galloping energetically in place, eyes closed and humming the happiest tune as her wings flapped constrained. It was almost time!

Spitfire raised an eyebrow with a friendly smile as a pony, apparently the shopkeeper, trotted forward and greeted her. When asked about the newest Daring Do book, she shrugged slightly and gave a soft nod.

"Thanks, always fun to meet someone who has seen us in action," she responded automatically. "Yeah, I wasn't planning on getting one but since she's here and all... A lot of my friends would die to have a signed copy. I originally came for a book on earth pony ales and brewing techniques, if you have anything like that."

Before she could question further, a tome of the aforementioned A.K. Yearling bestseller levitated before her muzzle, settling right in front of her eyes. A polite question followed, coming from a rather stately looking mare. At the same time, an enthusiastic green earth pony bounced forward to converse with the owner. With a smirk and a wave of a hoof, the Wonderbolts captain tilted her head at the Stalliongrad student.

"I'm fine, not really in a hurry. Go ahead and take care of her, I'll be around." She turned to her new silver haired companion. "Thanks, saves me the trouble of going to pick one-"

Before she got any further, she was besieged by what looked like Daring Do's very energetic twin sister.

"Yeah. Totally. Sometimes. Can't say I ever have. And only once at a show in Saddle Arabia," she answered calmly, not batting an eye at the barrage of questions that came her way.

Before she could go any further, the pegasus had bolted back into line and was vibrating in place. Spitfire faced the noblepony again, grabbing the book from the air in her mouth and stuffing it into a saddlebag.

"So, didn't catch your name."

Two Pegasus ponies entered the book store. One was an red coated adult mare dressed in a festive green sweater, and another, a blue filly adorned in a red jacket. While the older pony was calm and rather relaxed, the little filly appeared to be moments away from exploding.

dxr0.jpg

Oh wow!”, the filly gasped, “I can’t believe it! We’re finally gonna get to meet Miss Yearling! This is so exciting! Are you excited? Cause I'm excited!", she bounced a little before catching a slight glare from the older pony, "Sorry Sis. I remember. No jumping. No bouncing. And polite conversation." Thankfully, it was rather early, so the line to get their books signed was still rather reasonable. "Oh lookie! It's her!", she raised a little hoof towards the end of the line where the famous writer was there signing books for her fans. "Didn't she wear the same clothes in the photos they have in the book of her novels? She's kind of frumpy looking, and those glasses...She could probably see Luna's hoof prints on the moon with those things."

qwkf.gif

"Wind.", the elder pony was not at all pleased, "Please don't make fun. Writers spend so much time stuck in their rooms staring at typewriter paper for so long, they tend to hurt their eyesight a bit. And remember, when we get to the end of the line, you smile, say hello, and thank Miss Yearling after signs your book. I'm sure she's a nice mare, but I don't believe she wants to be yelled and or hugged. Just act like a little lady and we'll have fun!", she smiled at the filly before turning her attention to the ponies already in line. "Good day Miss Presteza.", she smiled at the pretty artist mare.

(Insert Response From Presteza)

As the two sisters passed their old friend, the filly noted the mare dressed as Yearling's most popular character, "Ooh! She's smart.", the filly whispered, "She got all dressed up like Daring. I should have done that! I could have been like Daring Do when she was younger, but still just as brave. Or maybe Daring when she got hit by that magic and got all shr...", she frowned a little as she noticed her sister was now holding one of her hooves towards her lip. "Yesh.", her ears flopped down as they continued to walk towards the start of the line.

Once there, the mare known as Fire Walker took notice of Spitfire as she waited patiently for her turn. "Good morning Captain.", the First Lieutenant greeted the mare with a friendly smile. She was not at all surprised to see another member of the R.E.A. in line, considering that there were a good deal amount of her fellow officers that were fans of the Daring Do novels, as many were inspired by the fictional character's bravery enough so to join the service. The mare noticed that her little sister was about to pop after catching sight of yet another one of her heroes, "Wind Walker. Please. Behave yourself. This fine lady might end up being your commanding officer one of these days."

Wind Walker nodded her head, "Yes mam.", she gave off her best smile before turning her attention to the end of the line.

30bp6ir.jpg

The next pony in line was a curious mare. A.K. Yearling could tell from the other’s accent that she came from Trottingham, lending some credence to her claim that she could travel all across the land. Yet very few were the number of ponies who were known explorers outside the bounds of Equestria, and the author did not recognize any explorer who wore a, *SNIFF* *SNIFF*, a straw conical hat. Yearling doubted that this mare could ever be somepony who ate treasure for dinner and danger for breakfast like Daring Do, but the author appreciated all who took a serious interest in world travel.

And then something strange happened; the unicorn's fruit bat pet snatched an amulet from his owner (Yearling ascertained the bat’s sex in a cinch) and brought it over to the signing table. A.K. Yearling had to lift her glasses up to get a closer look and stare at it for a dozen or so seconds, her giant spectacles being only for show and all… what she saw caused her eyes to widen a little bit. Judging by the two barely translatable inscriptions, the unicorn’s trinket had to do something with the lost city of Mbili'Pembe and its mythical Abada people.

Without enough time to glance at the amulet before it was snatched away, Yearling guessed that due to its nearly-untranslatable nature, there was no way the painter simply purchased or received the object. While Yearling would have loved to grill the unicorn about the subject... she had a public persona to maintain. “Oh, what a lovely memento you have there,” the author attempted to warmly comment, sounding a bit too forced in the process; “Where in your travels did you purchase it, Miss.....?”

WWWXRbf.jpg

"Good day Miss Presteza."

Well there was a familiar voice! Fire walker was part of Presteza's competition during the Running of the leaves which was where they officially met. Presteza had heard a lot about the Lieutenant in her big brother's letters. He would often go into detail about the better and more dependable members of the REA that she would be fortunate to meet, honestly Fire walker seemed the kind of Officer she could get along with a lot easier.

Seeing as the mare was still involved in conversation with Miss Yearling she decided she needed to make her response quick for now,"Oh, G'day Miss Fire! Ya still owe me that pizza y'know! " speaking of Miss Yearling, Presteza couldn't help but notice she took a short interest in her amulet.

“Oh, what a lovely memento you have there. Where in your travels did you purchase it, Miss.....?”

The mare gave pause for a moment, would Miss yearling honestly believe her entire story of how she and a certain pegasus behind her found the mythical lost city of the Abada? It then occurred to her she really didn't have to tell the entire story... just how she learned about the amulet and how she acquired it, "Well since there's a line behind me I'll give ya the abridged version. I'd been lookin' into an unyasi Myth about this cool species of unicorns who had two curved horns on their heads! They hadn't been seen in a real long time and according ta the stories they all would wear amulets let this one when they left their home in the Brackenweald. After some Zebra stole this amulet off of one of their messengers, he stole their greatest potions from 'em n' they dissappeared... but I managed ta find that zebra's descendant and get him ta tell me what he did with the it ... which took a few drinks. I managed to track it down and buy it off a griffon who obviously didn't know how much it's really worth. The pony sold it to the griffon like it was a piece of cheap jewelry, can ya believe that?" Well, that explanation turned out longer than she expected... however it was a pretty long story and at this signing the author clearly didn't have time to hear the adventurous painter's tale in it's entirety.

jz52ugu.jpg

"Thanks, saves me the trouble of going to pick one. So, didn't catch your name."

The stately looking unicorn gave Spitfire a smile,"Duchess Silver Belle. It's a pleasure to speak to you up close, Captain. Me and My husband took our foals to see your team's shows every chance we could. You said you were lookin' for books on Earth pony Ales and such? That sounds wonderful I haven't had ale in ages..." Ale had such warm memory's attached to it. Most of what she had to imbibe back home in Trottingham was some fine wines and other things. The last time she had ale was when she first started courting her now husband among the common ponies of Trottingham.

Soon Spitfire was approached by a pair of pegasi, these two looked somehow familiar. Soon she heard the two's name spoken as they conversed with each other; Fire and Wind Walker . Now she remembered, Fire Walker was a part of R.E.A. and a colleague of her son. Hearing the red pegasus greet the captain she stepped forward and spoke, "Doesn't the mother of one of your colleagues and wife of one of your superiors deserve a hello?" she asked in a playful tone, leaving a pause so Spitfire could reply to Fire first.

As Tankena waited for a response from Lore Weaver about whether or not the bookstore carries sheet music, a loud sound came from outside the store. It was the sound of many screamed words in a Germaney accent followed by a crash into a tree just across the street from the bookstore. The elderly green Pegasus stallion who's forward momentum was stopped by the tree now got back up on all four hooves, staggering to get back on all four hooves.

gI0gbs.pngProfessor Clyde Krashkop

"Day say dat any landing you can valk avay from is a good vone!" Professor Clyde Krashkop neighed as he slowly walked across the street to enter Lore Weaver's bookstore. The Professor carefully checked his saddlebags before walking inside. "I hope I am not too late for dee A K Yearling book signing! I tink her Daring Do books are SO VONDERBA!"

Lore Weaver could see that the first pony in line had happily accepted her book signature, the first in what the stallion expected would be many to come. The mare then asked him for some sheet music.

"Well I do not have as much sheet music as a music store would have, but I do have a music area where certain songs are bound into books. Maybe they'll be something you're interested in. They're actually one aisle over. You'll see a sign that says Music and in there you'll find those song books."

The purple unicorn realized that being a bookstore that tried to meet the needs of a number of ponies' needs he couldn't possibly satisfy the needs of everypony's requests. His store was already packed with books, but perhaps there could be room in the future for adding more shelves along the walls. Or maybe a little cafe. The possibilities were starting to swim in his mind as he thought about future expansion. His thoughts however were interrupted when he heard a pony shriek. He turned to see the shy unicorn he was speaking with have a fruit bat fly out of her bag, presumably her pet, dropping something on A.K. Yearling's table! He could only hope that the author wasn't flustered by this. There were many things the young stallion could prepare for, but there was always the element of surprise,

Before he could react to that thought, Lore came face to face with the pony dressed like Daring Do. As she ruffed his mane, A tidal wave of words flowed from her, something about not wanting books but collectables, a Power Ponies comic, and about replace bindings for a notebook. Interspersed were mentions of facing hydras and living in the Everfree Forest. Lore though that maybe this pony was too involved with Daring Do that she thought she was the eponymous mare from the series. He read a book before about a similar case called Don Quipony where an older pony thought he was a knight. Perhaps afterwards Lore thought he should show this pony that book.

"Well you seem to be a mare on a mission," Lore said as he tried to organize the pony's requests standing in front of him, "Ok, so you're looking for something Daring Do, but not her books. I don't really have many comics or collectables here, but I did manage to get a few along with my recent shipment of books. I think I might have Derring Do there as well as a few comics. I know that A.K. Yearling's publishers have sent several Daring Do merchandise here in anticipation of the author being here. Maybe there are some things that you are looking for there. As for a Power Ponies comic, again I'm not sure. I do have a corner of the store dedicated to some comics. If that was a new one it may be there, but if it's an older one then I can't be sure. As for bindings, yes I do have replacement ones in my stationary area as well as binding glue. I'm always happy to supply future writers with things. So you said that you stayed in the Everfree Forest and faced a hydra? Isn't that forest dangerous for ponies to enter much less live in?"

Next up was Spitfire who waited patiently as Lore took care of the others. Interestingly enough the pony received a copy thanks to the silver manned pony that looked perhaps of royalty like near the Wonderbiolt.

"Hey thanks for helping her out miss," Lore said to the pony with a bow just to be sure before turning to Spitfire again, "Well, I can honestly say that there are times that I wonder what it's like to fly so freely like you and your team do. I know that there's no way that I'm going to magically sprout wings, but you know a stallion can wonder about things like flying. Anyway, if you're here for a signature, you've come to the right place. As for looking for a book about earth pony brews, I'm sure we have one in the food and drink area. Just come see me after meeting A.K. Yearling and I'll be happy to show you."

The next in line was a colorful pair of ponies: a cute pony barely a filly and a young mare who appeared to know the silver manned pony. The most recent pony was a familiar one he saw in town, a green Pegasus with a white mane and tail.

"Hello you two and welcome to Textual Treasures. I am Lore Weaver, the owner of this humble shop. Are you three excited to meet A.K. Yearling? Of course if you are looking for other books too I'd be happy to assist you in finding them too."

Achievement Unlocked - Longest RP Record! Awesome!

Archived