Frequently Asked Questions & Guidelines for Asking

GhostGirl

Hi there! If you’ve found your way here, you probably have a question, and you’ve come to the right place. This section is where you can ask the staff as a whole questions in regards to the board, and someone will be along to help you in no time. We do have a few guidelines we’d like you to follow, though, so please keep these in mind when you have a question.

• Your question may have been asked before. It’s no fun for staff to have to answer the same question two days in a row, so do a quick sweep of the first few pages of this section to see if anybody else has had the same question recently. There is also a list of Frequently Asked Questions further down in this thread.
  • There is a sub-section for RP-related items. The general questions section is specifically for forum-related issues.If your question is about roleplay materials, be sure you post your thread in the correct section. If you need help with breaking into roleplay, please let the Welcome Wonderbolts know in this thread.
  • Your question may be covered in the rules or other materials. Please make sure you’ve read through our rules before asking your question. If your question is about species or locations in RP, check through our lore. There may be a document in there that could answer your question.
  • The title of your post should be relevant to your question. If the title of your post either is your question or includes information about your question, it makes it easier for help staff to know which questions they can answer and which they can't (We each know some things, but I don't think any one of us knows everything! Except maybe Rosie.). It also helps other users who are having the same problem or have the same question find the solution/answer more easily.

That should cover everything. As mentioned above, we’ve included a FAQ. If you think something should be added to this list that isn’t here, please let a staff member know so we can edit accordingly!

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: How do I edit the title of a thread I started?

A: Go to your original post in the thread. In the lower right corner of your post, there should be an EDIT link. Clicking that link will bring up the quick editing window. Click on the FULL EDITOR button to bring up the full post editor. In the full post editor, there will be a field above the post body that will contain the current title of the thread. You may change your title here. Click on SUBMIT CHANGES to save the edited post.

Q: Why can I not edit my posts?

A: You probably don’t have three posts yet. An easy way to get three posts is to post an introduction, or say hello to some other new members in the intro board. Basically, make some friends! :)

Q: What are member titles and how do I get a new one?

A: See on my sidebar profile above my avatar where it says “Spirit Guide?” That’s my member title. If you’re a brand new member, yours is probably Blank Flank or Rock Farmer. As your post count goes up, your member title will change, or, if a staff member with the appropriate power sees fit, you may get a custom member title tailored to your personality, interests, or characters!

Q: Why can’t I post in the Canterlot Chronicles or World of Equestria roleplay sections?

A: Have you had an accepted character application for one of these sections? If not, you won’t be able to post in either of them. If you have, are they your first character for that section? It might take a bit for the admins to change your account permissions so that you can post in those sections. They work as quickly as they can, though, so be patient and your permissions will be changed soon enough.

Q: What are the little symbols under everyone’s posts, and how do I get one?

A: Those are awards! I have two awards that show what my job as a staff member is. One of them says that I’m an RP Helper. That means if you have any questions about the site, you can ask me, and I’ll do my best to help you! The other is a Lead Pony Badge from the Wonderbolts Academy, and it says that I’m a member of the Welcome Wonderbolts. The various Elements of Harmony are awarded for exemplifying that element, and other awards are for participation in events! As you spend time on the site and engage in roleplay and interact with the community, you’ll be presented with many opportunities to get awards, so don’t fret if you don’t have one yet.

Q: Why do my gallery pictures not show up?

A: Our gallery is under strict moderation, so your pictures won’t be visible to the public at first. When a moderator or administrator has had a chance, they’ll approve your picture, usually within 24 hours.

Q: It’s already been 24 hours! Why isn’t my picture there?

A: It may have been rejected for a number of reasons. We maintain a PG-13 rating here, so anything that would go beyond that rating would not be approved. We also do not approve art that doesn’t belong to you. Anything that you didn’t make, buy, or were gifted cannot be kept in the gallery on-site. Finally, we do not approve recolors or traced images.

Q: Why can't I post anything to the gallery?

A: As with editing your posts, posting to the gallery requires that you have three posts elsewhere in the forum. Make sure you have those three posts, and if you're still experiencing problems, please let us know!

Q: Why is there a donator member rank if there isn't any way to donate?

A: Before the administration change, there was a donation option. If someone donated to the site, they were helping to pay for monthly server costs, and they earned the ability to change their username once a month and access a special donators-only section of the forum. Rosie and Dio have decided, however, that they want to overhaul the donation system, so it's currently not available. Keep your eyes peeled, though! There'll be an announcement when they've finished overhauling it.

Q: What's the difference between the RP Certified and RP Apprentice member ranks?

A: Anyone with the RP Apprentice member rank has a character approved for the Canterlot Chronicles roleplay section, and has the ability to post in that section. Anyone with the RP Certified member rank has a character approved for the World of Equestria roleplay section (which they can also use in CC), and has the ability to post in both the WoE and CC sections.

Q: Why can members with a WoE-approved character post in CC, but not the other way around?

A: World of Equestria has stricter rules than Canterlot Chronicles does, so WoE characters are approved on a stricter standard. This means that they can be used in CC, which has more relaxed rules and approves characters on more relaxed standards. It's kind of like how all squares are rectangles, but not all rectangles are squares. All WoE characters are CC-approved, but not all CC characters are WoE-approved.

Q: How do I become helpstaff?

A: Sometimes when we find we need help, the administration will put out a call for applications. At that point, any registered member of Canterlot.com is welcome to follow the procedures laid out in the call for applications and apply to become a member of staff. Sometimes we're looking for RP Helpers and sometimes we're looking for Moderators. The call for applications will lay out which positions the administrators are looking to fill. Aside from that, if we feel a user properly exemplifies what a roleplay helper should be, we may extend an invitation to them to join staff. So, basically, even if we aren't accepting applications at a certain time, always be as helpful, friendly, and involved as you can, and you may still be considered to be added to the team.

Q: I've made changes to my character. Do I need to re-app them?

A: Ask yourself something first. Are the changes major? Do they change the core concept of the character? If the changes are as simple as adding a pet, changing an eye color, gaining a new occupation, or moving to a new city, then, no, you really don't need to. You can just edit the app and it won't have to be re-evaluated. If your character is growing through RP (for example, maybe they were really mean and insensitive before, as a plot hook for RPs, but as you've RP'd with them they've grown into a more understanding character), you can make note of that in your character log, rather than changing your application. If you want to change the core concept of the character, though, you will need to re-app it so the character can be re-evaluated by helpstaff.

Q: I need to re-app my character. How do I get it moved out of the Accepted Apps section?

A: Normally it's as simple as posting in the application thread to request that it be moved back. If nobody responds, though, you may need to send a polite message to a moderator or admin. They'll have the powers necessary to move your application.

Q: I think this FAQ list is missing something. What should I do?

A: Send me a message! I'm happy to hear all suggestions for what you, the people actually using this FAQ list, feel like I should add to it. I promise I don't bite. ;)

• Like 1