Daring Do and the Author of the Little Barn (ATTN: Mojo, Open)

Bellosh

30bp6ir.jpg

Every cantina on Equestria’s western frontier needed a mysterious patron, who sat in the back corner all alone and shunning nearly all contact. The Salt Block in Appleloosa was in fact housing a customer of this sort today, although said customer was by no means just another drifter cowfilly. Rather, the mare’s cloak and large floppy hat made her look dreadfully out of place; a city pony in the heart of the Frontier.

There was a time when A.K. Yearling would have prefered pouring over old maps and lore in the solitude of her own room or any other deserted location. After a few run-ins with some… let’s just say unsavory characters, the author figured out that paradoxically, her research of ancient legends was more likely to go undisturbed by the wrong ponies if she conducted it right out in the open.

And so here Yearling sat in the Salt Block, her table all cluttered with old tomes and scrolls as she analyzed each and every one of them for clues on where to find… an object of significant interest. So absorbed in her work was the pegasus that she didn’t bother taking too much heed of everything else inside the cantina.....

lgcFVs.jpgLouise LaMare

Sitting at the bar of the Salt Block was famous Pioneer Pony Era author Louise LaMare in her brown cowboy hat and boots. The brown pelted Pegasus mare was enjoying a tall glass of water and talking to the barkeep, an Earth stallion with a handlebar mustache.

"No more for me, thanks," Louise said with a sigh. "Y'know, I moved to Appleoosa a few years ago and although I do love living here, there's times when it's so... boring. It's like nothing ever happens around here. Don't get me wrong, I don't regret moving here for a single moment, but once, just once, I wish there was some pony here that I could... say, looks like we have a lost tourist over at that table. Maybe I can help her out."

Louise walked over to the busy newcomer who seemed so lost in her thoughts that she might not notice her.

"Excuse me miss, I can see you look rather busy with all those scrolls and such, are you lost or something because.." Louise stopped speaking when she got a good look at the stranger's face. She smiled widely when she recognized a fellow author.

"A K Yearling?" the happy Pegasus mare asked timidly. "A K! I never thought I'd ever see you visiting our fine town! I'm Louise LaMare, I don't know if you remember or not but we were at a book signing a long time ago, Your first book was published at the same time as my novel "Lonesome Saddle" and we were at the same bookstore signing together! We didn't have a chance to chat much back then, but since you're here in Appleoosa, mind if I join you?"

30bp6ir.jpg

A.K. Yearling’s memory allowed itself to get a bit rusty concerning events that didn’t directly concern the mare’s adventures as Daring Do, and that first booksigning event of hers indeed seemed like a million years ago. The author did remember it took place in a Cloudsdale bookstore, and that there was a veteran author also who signed books that day. This was back when Quest for the Sapphire Stone was just another book by a first-time author, before Daring Do became a nationwide phenomenon. And so Yearling’s first booksigning was more of a warm-up act for the headliner event than anything else.

Remembering that Little Barn on the Prairie had been published even before her first expedition, A.K. Yearling felt that Lousie LaMare was likely that author the younger author “opened” for that one time. LaMare looked vaguely familiar enough, at any rate. Not necessarily minding LaMare’s interruption but still absorbed in her scrolls, Yearling smiled even if she did not bother looking up at the new arrival; “No no, I don’t mind at all, Ms. LaMare. Have a seat.....”

Louise LaMare was delighted as she took a seat beside A K Yearling. The middle aged Pegasus mare tried to hide her excitement, not wanting to make A K feel awkward. Though Louise had written more books in her career, Miss Yearling's works were much more popular, especially with younger readers. The brown Pegasus mare truly admired her younger colleague, and hoped they could at least be friends since she had come such a long way to visit Appleoosa.

"So, Miss Yearling, if I may ask, what brings you to Appleoosa? Do you have a book signing going on? Are you on vacation, because if you are, I'd gladly show you arould town. I've lived here in Appleoosa for the past two years, and although it's a quiet frontier town, it has a lot to offer!"

Louise wanted to be helpful, but not come off like a typical 'fangirl' trying to overwhelm the young celebrity.

• 2 weeks later...

30bp6ir.jpg

A tour of the town did sound tempting; Appleloosa had only been around for a few years, and A.K. Yearling was curious to see how the culture of this town differed from a place like Dodge Junction. But right now however, the author was hard at work making arrangements for her next voyage, and so preferred not to get sidetracked by a friendly walk-through of Appleloosa.

“I’m doing research for my next book,” a smiling Yearling stated truthfully… from a certain point of view; “I go through hoops and hurdles to ensure that each Daring Do adventure feels as authentic as possible. I imagine you do the same thing with your pioneer books Ms. LaMare. You do a very good job of not letting anachronisms seep into your material.....”

Louise LaMare definitely understood the value of research when writing a book. Sometimes for the writer, that can be a very grueling task. The brown cowpony hat wearing Pegasus mare couldn't help but notice that some of the charts A.K. was examining seemed familiar. Could it be that Miss Yearling's next Daring Do book could take place in a frontier town setting? That would be quite a twist, considering the nature of the previous books in the Daring Do series. Louise wanted to be helpful, but not come off looking too eager. The brown pelted Pegasus mare has had to deal with overenthusiastic fans herself over the years, and the last thing she wanted to do is act like one of those now.

"So, Miss Yearling," Louise began, "are you researching this particular area of Equestria? If you are, I and several of my friends could help. Sheriff Silverstar has probably explored more of the outer regions of Appleoosa more than any other pony, except for maybe Doc Holly Day. Doc is a nature lover and often ventures out of town to explore. True, they're not exactly the Daring Do type of ponies but then again, who is?"

SGUBEl2.jpg

Appleoosa, a true "western" town if there ever was one. This was the kind of place a particular young painter loved; a place full of hard working ponies living off the land. It was not too dissimilar Presteza's home city of Trottingham, so She couldn't help but feel Appleoosa was a sort of 'home away from home'.

Presteza had come to the town earlier in the hopes of meeting with the local Buffalo tribe and offering to paint their chief a portrait. Ultimately that self imposed mission hit a rather pleasant snag when she got excited by the prospect of helping out in the local harvest. That was a fun time, Pressy had gotten to buck several apple trees, speak to an energetic friend she hadn't seen since she'd helped out in the Zap apple harvest, and she even got to see the Buffalo running through the orchard as per the agreement with the town. Today this painter came to try and fix that past... well it might not have been a mistake as she really had fun last harvest so it might be more accurate to say she was trying again.

But seeing as she had really tired herself out on the long trek here she could use a bit of relaxation. The Cantina or Saloon seemed like a perfect place to relax. Walking calmly through the double doors she looked around at the several patrons in the place. Of all the ponies who could catch her eye, pressy had found the one she recognized; a pegasus in cowmare boots, none other than Lousie LaMare! Presteza had met Miss LaMare during the previous harvest. It seemed she was with some other pony who looked a bit familiar but since she was in the darker corner of the room her features were hard to place she wasn't sure who it was yet.

After ordering a cup of apple-tea the mare made her way over and waited for a break in the conversation. Once she found one she chimed in,"Afternoon, Miss LaMare! How have ya been and who's ya friend? oh um... also would it be okay if I joined you two?"

• 2 weeks later...

30bp6ir.jpg

"So, Miss Yearling, are you researching this particular area of Equestria? If you are, I and several of my friends could help. Sheriff Silverstar has probably explored more of the outer regions of Appleoosa more than any other pony, except for maybe Doc Holly Day. Doc is a nature lover and often ventures out of town to explore. True, they're not exactly the Daring Do type of ponies but then again, who is?"

Sadly, Lousia LaMare’s version of research contrasted dramatically with A.K. Yearling’s. If Yearling had been any other author, she would have gladly appreciated having other ponies around to assist in her fieldwork. But living the double-life of an adventuring idol, the less who knew that Daring Do and her adventures were real, the better. "I appreciate your offer Ms. LaMare," Yearling graciously responded, looking up at the other author for the first time today; “But to make sure my stories remain a surprise, I keep my research as confidential as possible.”

"Afternoon, Miss LaMare! How have ya been and who's ya friend? oh um... also would it be okay if I joined you two?"

A.K. Yearling sensed something a little bit familiar about this apparent friend of Louise LaMara, although she couldn’t quite put her hoof on it. There was no way this unicorn came from the Wild West though, if that Trottingham Cockney accent indicated anything. Having no objection to the presence of the new mare, Yearling subtly nodded her head in an affirmatory gesture towards LaMare, indicating that she could introduce the young unicorn mare to the pegasus.....

Louise LaMare was delighted to see her good friend Presteza and even happier to introduce her to the town's famous visitor.

'Miss Yearling, I'd like you to meet Presteza, Presteza, this is A.K. Yearling, famous author of the Daring Do series of adventure stories! I'm sure you've heard of them, they are quite popular throughout all of Equestria. She is visiting Appleoosa for the first time and she's doing research for her next book."

Louise remembered fondly how the young unicorn mare helped out with the recent Appleoosa apple harvest. Though Louise was tempted to share the story of how the Appleoosans made peace with the buffalo, she wasn't sure if A.K. wanted to hear it right now. The famous author mare seemed to be very engrossed in her work and Louise didn't want to 'bug' her too much.

SGUBEl2.jpg

'Miss Yearling, I'd like you to meet Presteza, Presteza, this is A.K. Yearling, famous author of the Daring Do series of adventure stories! I'm sure you've heard of them, they are quite popular throughout all of Equestria. She is visiting Appleoosa for the first time and she's doing research for her next book."

Wait a tick... Miss Yearling? as in A.K. Yearling, author of one of Presteza's favorite book series? The same Yearling the painter had only recently gotten a signed copy of her latest book from? Looking a bit closer at the pony in the shadows her eyes widened when she noticed it was her!

Presteza was about ready to shout out that the famous author was here... but after a moment of deliberation she realized if Miss Yearling wanted her presence known to everypony she likely would have announced it herself. It was also possible she just felt like being away from the majority of the bar patrons out of the feeling she didn't really fit in... while Presteza was probably wrong, such a sentiment was not beyond her understanding. Taking a seat beside Miss Lamare she smiled at the two, "Nice ta see ya both again. Miss Yearlin' I guess ya don' remember me but I was at yer book signin a while ago."

30bp6ir.jpg

"Miss Yearling, I'd like you to meet Presteza, Presteza, this is A.K. Yearling, famous author of the Daring Do series of adventure stories! I'm sure you've heard of them, they are quite popular throughout all of Equestria. She is visiting Appleoosa for the first time and she's doing research for her next book."

"Nice ta see ya both again. Miss Yearlin' I guess ya don' remember me but I was at yer book signin a while ago."

Ah yes, A.K. Yearling remembered. Presteza was that one pony who unintentionally showed the author an amulet from Unyasi. Presented with this opportunity to touch base after that event in Ponyville, Yearling replied to the young unicorn mare; “Oh yes, I signed your book at Textural Treasures. You were that one pony with the fruitbat who showed me an amulet of some sort. By any chance, did you get the chance to consult a professional about that artifact?”

Louise LaMare was very relieved that Miss Yearling was getting along so well with Presteza. The brown Pegasus mare was concerned that the famous author would be so focused on her research that she might rudely dismiss the young unicorn mare. Why was A.K. so interested in Presteza's amulet? Could it be for her research, or was there a deeper reason for the author's curiousity?

"So Presteza, you have an ancient amulet? That's wonderful! If you haven't had it examined yet, the closest thing we have to an expert in Appleoosa is Doc Holly Day. He studied at both Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns and Canterlot University. He also has a number of books on ancient pony history too. Miss Yearling, are you sure there's nothing more I can do to aide your research?"

SGUBEl2.jpg

“Oh yes, I signed your book at Textural Treasures. You were that one pony with the fruitbat who showed me an amulet of some sort. By any chance, did you get the chance to consult a professional about that artifact?”

"So Presteza, you have an ancient amulet? That's wonderful! If you haven't had it examined yet, the closest thing we have to an expert in Appleoosa is Doc Holly Day. He studied at both Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns and Canterlot University. He also has a number of books on ancient pony history too. Miss Yearling, are you sure there's nothing more I can do to aide your research?"

The silver maned unicorn grinned happily, "Awesome! Ya actually remember me... but then again it'd be hard ta forget a pony who dropped a fruitbat on yer desk." said the mare with a chuckle. "Speakin' o' which" she continued before lifting a flap on her saddlebag.

After a couple moments passed a small face with two leaves for ears and a pair of inquisitive eyes peaked out with a squeak as the aforementioned fruit-bat took flight and landed on the table. Rooting through her bag, Presteza pulled out an apple and after a few seconds cut the fruit into sections with her telekinesis. Once the fruit was on the table the creature began to happily nibble on the snack, "Sorry, It's 'is lunchtime." admitted the mare with a chuckle. "Anyway, ya don't need ta worry Louise. I've actually gotten the amulet appraised by a professional already. It turns out it was a real abada artifact!... although I knew that already." chuckled the mare in a slightly mischievous tone.

• 2 weeks later...

30bp6ir.jpg

"...the closest thing we have to an expert in Appleoosa is Doc Holly Day. He studied at both Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns and Canterlot University. He also has a number of books on ancient pony history too. Miss Yearling, are you sure there's nothing more I can do to aid your research?"

While Presteza’s fruitbat used this moment to snack, Louise LaMare asked one more time if there was anything she could do to help. A.K. Yearling once again felt inclined to politely decline, but hearing about this expert fellow made the adventurer want to reconsider. If it turned out that Yearling’s scrolls contained incomplete information, she may have to take a trip over to this Dr. Holly Day gentlecolt.

“There’s nothing more you can do for me personally Ms. LaMare,” Yearling firmly informed her counterpart; “But if I need more sources for inspiration, I just may pay Dr. Day a visit. If visiting him proves fruitful, I’ll be sure to credit the two of you in my next book.”

Oh, Presteza’s artifact proved to be of Abada make after all according to the young mare. “Aw, how wonderful!” A.K. congratulated after taking a drink; “I’m sure a museum would love having that amulet donated to them.”

• 2 weeks later...

Louise LaMare tried her best to hide her disappointment. Though A.K. Yearling was very polite in turning down her requests to help, the brown pelted Pegasus mare was beginning to get the impression that the famous author was trying to get her to leave her alone.

"Alright then, Miss Yearling. But for the record, I'm not looking for any credit in your next book. I simply recommended Doc Holly Day because.."

"Well now, I reckon I came in here at jist the right time, didn't I?" a gray pelted mustached unicorn stallion spoke. Turning her head in the direction of the voice, she saw it was Doc Holly Day himself speaking.

kVfbss.jpgDoc Holly Day

"Doc!" Louise neighed in complete surprise, "I didn't know you were here."

"Jist finished my last housecall fer the day and decided to come in here fer a drink. Hi there Presteza! I remember you from our last apple harvest! So good ta see ya agin and ..."

When Doc Holly Day spotted A.K. Yearling, the older unicorn had recognized her face from an old photo he had seen years ago in a newspaper.

"A.K. Yearling? Yur A.K. Yearling! The author of the Darin' Do series! Miss Yearling it is a real pleasure ta meetcha! Welcome ta Appleoosa! I'm the town physician, Doctor Holly Day but most ponies jist call me Doc. I'm a big fan of yur books, yur mah second favorite author, behind Miss LaMare here, of course."

FlnbVAt.jpg

“Aw, how wonderful! I’m sure a museum would love having that amulet donated to them.”

Presteza smiled and nodded, "Yep I asked my special so-- um friend in Manehattan ta donate it once he's finished with 'is translating o' the symbols n' stuff on it." She wasn't really sure why she stumbled upon saying that this same pony who was appraising her artifact was now also her special somepony... maybe she was the tiniest bit embarassed she'd come to get swept up in the stallion's charms... but then again at least he seemed to be in the same boat. "I wonder if it's make a better tool fer future expeditions rather than an exhibit though..." she said, thinking out loud. Soon there was the sound of a familiar voice approaching them, a voice it didn't take long for the painter to place; it belonged to doctor Holly Day!

"Hi there Presteza! I remember you from our last apple harvest! So good ta see ya agin and ..."

"Hiya, doc!" said the mare cheerfully, "Nice ta see ya too! Thanks again for your help when I got hit by those apples back then. I was wonderin' how was that filly Sorgh--" before she could finish though it seemed the doctor had rather loudly announced A.K. Yearling's presence to nopony in particular...

"A.K. Yearling? Yur A.K. Yearling! The author of the Darin' Do series! Miss Yearling it is a real pleasure ta meetcha! Welcome ta Appleoosa! I'm the town physician, Doctor Holly Day but most ponies jist call me Doc. I'm a big fan of yur books, yur mah second favorite author, behind Miss LaMare here, of course."

Scooting a bit closer to Miss Yearling she whispered something into her ear, "Uh... I'm assumin' ya didn't wanna be found out... should we try and exit?"

30bp6ir.jpg

"Yep I asked my special so-- um friend in Manehattan ta donate it once he's finished with 'is translating o' the symbols n' stuff on it."

Now that was an odd way to refer to an archaeological expert. Maybe Presteza was in fact a good buddy of a doctor, which wasn’t implausible if her personality had anything to say, but A.K. could not get the vision of a shady alley deal going on. Her Daring Do danger senses tingling, the author questioned; “May I ask who this friend of yours is, Presteza?”

Looks like A.K. Yearling would be meeting Dr. Day sooner rather than later. A quick look of his form suggested somepony getting on into old age, but remained active enough to starve off the decay of one’s joints and other bones. He also seemed to be a congenial pony too, explaining his friendship with the similarly-minded LaMare and Presteza. “It’s a pleasure to meet you too Doc,” Yearling kindly welcomed on her stallion fan over; “Ms. LaMare was just telling me that you read up on ancient pony history.” The adventurer hiding in plain sight wondered if he knew anything about her objective out in the desert.

"Well ma'am, I did Minor in Ancient History at good ol' Canterlot U," Doc Holly Day said with a smile, "it's sorta a hobby of mine. You'd be surprised at all of the local folk legends ya hear round these parts. Between all the tales our buffalo friends have shared with us ta all the weird kinda relics me and some of the other townfolk found while explorin' the countryside."

"It's true, Miss Yearling," added Louise LaMare, "I must admit, I used one of the local folk legends in the plot of my latest novel, 'The Mystery of Horseshoe Canyon.' Supposedly, according to buffalo legends, there's a hidden storehouse of valuable gems hidden somewhere in the hills surrounding Appleoosa. A few prospectors have come to town to search for it, all of them were not successful."

"Yeah, kin ya imagine that? Hidden treasure in them thar hills? Kinda puts me in mind of the story of the Diablo Dora, but that's an even wilder tale!" the mustached unicorn laughed. "Thar jist can't be such a magical charm like that! It's gotta be pure myth! Then thar was that odd carved stone that some fillies found while playin' in the Town Square. Kinda strange how every once it a while, that rock'll float in the air and turn, like it's pointin' at somethin'. Has some ancient writin' on it, words I can't decipher too well."

FlnbVAt.jpg

Now that was an odd way to refer to an archaeological expert. Maybe Presteza was in fact a good buddy of a doctor, which wasn’t implausible if her personality had anything to say, but A.K. could not get the vision of a shady alley deal going on. Her Daring Do danger senses tingling, the author questioned; “May I ask who this friend of yours is, Presteza?”

The cream colored pony nodded, "O' course ya can. Nopony's stoppin' ya" she said playfully before continuing, "Anyway, 'is name's Doctor Merlot. E's a close friend o' my family and often works fer my mum- ya met her at yer booksignin' too- and he runs plenty of other archaeological digs across the Country, and I think even a few beyond it too." Closing her eyes a moment the mare's horn began to glow and a light blue aura engulfed her cup she smiled a bit as her continued practice with her levitation was paying off before she took a sip of the delicious beverage.'

"Gimme a sec..." she said before taking out a small piece of paper and pencil and took the pencil in her teeth before quickly sketching out a picture of the stallion in question. In a matter of moments the sketch was done and she slid it next to Miss Yearling

1hiKGyz.jpg

"Sorry fer the lack o' color. His mane's usually a shade o' brightish blue, 'is eyes are grey and 'is coats a rich Khaki shade, almost like yers but not as lively!" she said cheerfully before resuming to sip her tea.

"Well ma'am, I did Minor in Ancient History at good ol' Canterlot U," Doc Holly Day said with a smile, "it's sorta a hobby of mine. You'd be surprised at all of the local folk legends ya hear round these parts. Between all the tales our buffalo friends have shared with us ta all the weird kinda relics me and some of the other townfolk found while explorin' the countryside."

"It's true, Miss Yearling," added Louise LaMare, "I must admit, I used one of the local folk legends in the plot of my latest novel, 'The Mystery of Horseshoe Canyon.' Supposedly, according to buffalo legends, there's a hidden storehouse of valuable gems hidden somewhere in the hills surrounding Appleoosa. A few prospectors have come to town to search for it, all of them were not successful."

"Yeah, kin ya imagine that? Hidden treasure in them thar hills? Kinda puts me in mind of the story of the Diablo Dora, but that's an even wilder tale!" the mustached unicorn laughed. "Thar jist can't be such a magical charm like that! It's gotta be pure myth! Then thar was that odd carved stone that some fillies found while playin' in the Town Square. Kinda strange how every once it a while, that rock'll float in the air and turn, like it's pointin' at somethin'. Has some ancient writin' on it, words I can't decipher too well."

The painter's eyes widened a moment at the sudden mention of a hidden storehouse of valuable gems... Normally she didn't care much for gems to be honest, her family was already already rolling in bits so seeking treasures was hardly on her priorities list. However she always did have an exploratory inclination and she did have another trip to Pponyville planned to visit a friend, Picking up a few fancy gems from this hidden trove would surely be a great gift! Coughing a moment she looked to the doctor and Miss Lamare, "Ya guys wouldn't be interested in showin' me those tablets sometime would ya?"

• 2 weeks later...

30bp6ir.jpg

"O' course ya can. Nopony's stoppin' ya. Anyway, 'is name's Doctor Merlot. E's a close friend o' my family and often works fer my mum- ya met her at yer booksignin' too- and he runs plenty of other archaeological digs across the Country, and I think even a few beyond it too."

“Merlot, you say.” A.K. Yearling grimly reflected as she saw a sketch of the well-known archaeologist. The author didn’t care for Merlot one bit, and not just because he frequently used articles to dismiss Yearling’s books as harmful unreality. The pegasus had always felt that somehow, the good doctor was more in his profession for fortune and glory instead of a genuine sense to educate ponies, and to inspire them. And if those rumors were correct, most of everything valuable Merlot found ended up in the hooves of an elite few; private collectors with no intention of sharing their ancient possessions with the general public. Depriving ponies everywhere of a chance to gaze at the relics of bygone cultures Yearling felt would only make the public less interested in the world in the long run.

The Daring Do author’s face grew even more intense as Ms. LaMare and Dr. Day talked about local Appleloosa tall tales. Or what the residents believed to be tall tales anyway. A.K. Yearling knew for a fact that the Diablo Dora existed; that was why she was out here to begin with. But up until this moment, the trail had gone cold for the secret adventurer. But now, she had her most strongest lead yet.

Only thing was, Presteza expressed an interest in the magic tablet too. Yearling kept a close watch on the girl, and also noticed her excited reaction to the story. And Yearling knew for certain too, that Presteza was a wanderer at heart. The pegasus had no choice but assume that the young mare would eventually go after either the gems or the Dora itself. Therefore, Yearling would have to throw the apparent painter on the wrong scent to ensure the secrecy of Daring Do’s next quest.

Her mental calculations finished, A.K. Yearling announced in a dead-serious tone; “I’d also like to see this tablet if you'll allow it, Doctor Day.”

Both Louise LaMare and Doc Holly Day smiled when both Presteza and A.K. Yearling expressed an interest in viewing the ancient tablets.

"Why sure, ladies, I'd be pleased as punch ta let ya both study all the old relics I got," Doc Holly Day neighed.

"Yes," Louise added with a nod. "Doc doesn't allow just anypony to examine the relics. Many ponies have come here, pretending to be historians or professors and have attempted to see them, but since we know you, Miss Presteza and of course, who can deny the great A.K. Yearling!"

"That's right, here in Appleoosa, we had ta take precautions ta make sure no pony makes off with our relics. When yur both ready, Miss LaMare and I will take you to them."

• 3 weeks later...

VdxHNYE.jpg

“I’d also like to see this tablet if you'll allow it, Doctor Day.”

The freckled unicorn shot Miss yearling a playful look, "Miss Yearling..." she began with a playful grin," If I didn't know any better by that serious tone... I'd say a fellow artist might be lookin' fer somethin'" Levitating her drink to her lips once more she took a sip and scooted closer to the mare,"Somethin' special and not easy ta come by... and reaaaaaaally valuable" she continued with an almost devilish tone as she drew closer to Yearling's notes and before anypony knew it she looked right back at Miss Lamare and Doctor Day, "I think Miss Yearlin' 'ere is lookin' fer... Inspiration!" she with her usual peppy voice.

If this relic was indeed what was going to spark Miss Yearling's creative flame and perhaps help with the creation of another book in the Daring Do series than it seemed she was in luck as their two friends spoke up and said...

"Why sure, ladies, I'd be pleased as punch ta let ya both study all the old relics I got," Doc Holly Day neighed.

"Yes," Louise added with a nod. "Doc doesn't allow just anypony to examine the relics. Many ponies have come here, pretending to be historians or professors and have attempted to see them, but since we know you, Miss Presteza and of course, who can deny the great A.K. Yearling!"

"That's right, here in Appleoosa, we had ta take precautions ta make sure no pony makes off with our relics. When yur both ready, Miss LaMare and I will take you to them."

"Well then wot're we waitin' for?!" said the mare before getting up from her seat and downing her apple tea. With an elated look on her face the mare trotted to the door and looked to the rest of the party,"Let's go see that Relic! I'll only 'ave ta see it once ta know from head ta hoof... or top to bottom." she admitted proudly to the group. "Hay, maybe if we get on the right track we can find that treasure cache taday!", If anything this pony was optimistic. This was already shaping up to be a fun day!

• 2 weeks later...

30bp6ir.jpg

"Miss Yearling... If I didn't know any better by that serious tone... I'd say a fellow artist might be lookin' fer somethin'... Somethin' special and not easy ta come by... and reaaaaaaally valuable."

A. K. Yearling didn’t like where Presteza was taking this conversation. Narrowing her eyes, the author apprehensively glared at the painter, wondering if somehow she managed to put the pieces together and figure out Yearling’s secret identity as Daring Do. With that nefarious grin of Presteza’s, the pegasus was sure that either the young unicorn mare wanted to expose her, or sought to blackmail the author for some unknown purpos-

""I think Miss Yearlin' 'ere is lookin' fer... Inspiration!""

No kidding; did Presteza really have to make a production out of figuring out the obvious (at least to anypony without a secret adventuring alter-ego)? Breathing a sigh of relief, Yearling started the process of clearing off her table and putting her belongings away; “Give me a minute, and we can get on our way.” It was too bad that Doctor Day needed to safeguard those relics the way he did, but in a business where Daring Do never found a single artifact not sought after by someone of evil or deluded heart, she supposed it didn’t hurt to be too careful.

When ready to leave, A.K. stated with authority; “Alright, we can go now, but don't be disappointed if the treasure turns out to be only a local tall tail.”

"Alrighty then ladies, follow me," Doc Holly Day said as he led the group outside. "Miss LaMare, take a look topside ta make sure we're not bein' followed."

"Will do, Doc," the brown pelted Pegasus mare said as she took flight, hovering above as the mustached unicorn physician continued to lead the way.

"Ok, so fer, so good, we're headin' fer the well house behind the Sheriff's office. Jist act casual and play along in case we meet any ponies on the street," Doc Holly Day said as the group neared the well house, a rather ordinary looking shack constructed of graying planks with a simple padlock securing it. :"I know it don't look like it, but this is a magical gateway. It was something I learned while I was still a student at Princess Celestia's school. If'n ya wanna enter in, ya gotta stay close ta me."

As Louise landed, she got close to the red maned unicorn as his horn began to glow. The padlock uncoupled and the door creaked as it opened.

"Hurry now, gallop inside, thar's a ten second delay seal," the stallion whispered as he rushed into the shack followed close behind by Louise LaMare. Inside, the shack looked much larger than it was outside. The floor had black and white checkered tile and the vast room appeared to be completely empty.

VdxHNYE.jpg

When ready to leave, A.K. stated with authority; “Alright, we can go now, but don't be disappointed if the treasure turns out to be only a local tall tail.”

Presteza was already aware that the treasure might not be real, but there was a saying she remembered in her prench classes that perfectly summed up her feelings about that ,"Qui na tente rien n'a rien" she said to The mare behind her. She wasn't sure if Miss yearling had studied Prench, but if she had she'd realize that this young mare definitely was one that had the ethic of an adventurer: Nothing ventured, Nothing gained. Planting her hat back on her head she waited calmly outside of the cantina for the rest of the party and reared back in excitement once everypony was out, "Alright! Ta.. wherever it is that relic thingy is! lead the way Doc!"

The way to the artifact was sure under some pretty unique security. Hidden in a well house that looked like a shabby looking shack was pretty smart, this was probably the last place an evil archeologist or stone hearted treasure hunter.. unless they operated under the logic to look in the least likely place first! Than it would be the least safe place to be-- actually can't worry about that now, The good doctor had only just opened up a portal.

"Hurry now, gallop inside, thar's a ten second delay seal," the stallion whispered as he rushed into the shack followed close behind by Louise LaMare. Inside, the shack looked much larger than it was outside. The floor had black and white checkered tile and the vast room appeared to be completely empty.

Quickly the mare hopped in to the portal along with everypony else, prepared to be amazed once she got in. Once she got a look at the room she was only mildly dissapointed, she wasn't sure what she was expecting really but the rather plain looking room with the checkered tile floor wasn't it. Looking at the floor more closely she noticed something off,"Um... Doc, are these tiles 'ere supposed ta be out of sequence?" she asked before trotting towards one area of the room and thumping her hoof down on the tile she was talking about.

Archived