A Fair Faire Proposal (Closed: Phil, Steel)

SteelEagle

“Oh, zat is good! It involves prêt-à-porter designs based off of elite haute couture designs, few ponies who know the specifics help production at high level. Zat why you can sell prêt-à-porter to stores and make lots of money. Funnel that into your haute couture productions, get bigger. Self-sustaining cycle! Very many specifics in plan. Even your own fashion house in Manehattan would be fun good, da?”

"Oh, but Valen, I'm already doing a lot of that," Rarity said, nodding. "With the buzz from Fashion Week, not to mention Sapphire Shores continuing to wear my designs on tour, the demand for designs by yours truly is at an all time high. While, I'm far from a household name just yet, I do have arrangements with a number of department stores to carry prêt-à-porter designs already. The trouble is in keeping up with the demand."

"I have definitely considered hiring some ponies to help with production," she said, looking downward. "But that's the thing... I'm just so used to doing it myself. Sure, in a pinch, I'll turn to my friends for help, but that's only because I trust each one of them completely. I'm just a little nervous, I suppose, about letting someone else in..."

"As for a Manehattan fashion house," Rarity said, giving a short giggle. "i suppose anything is possible. I made a promise to myself to keep Carousel always where my roots are in Ponyville, but if there is expansion in the future, who knows what might come."

“I am confuse. Vhat do you mean he prefers his mares younger...?”

"Oh, darling... did you not see the wink or note that he called you pretty?" Rarity said, shaking her head. "I suppose it only follows. You have only been a filly for just a few hours now. You don't quite know the signs to look for..."

“Da, da, zis is good. Vant some of ze vichyssoise? Simple spoonful? So good! I could eat it up all day!”

At this, Rarity shook her head. "I think I'll pass dear. I'm sure it's quite lovely, but I want to enjoy these delightful crystal berry crepes and I do believe the taste of leeks would throw off my palate," she explained as she cut a perfect bite of her sweet and succulent breakfast with her fork.

Valen listened to Rarity's slight rebuttal of his idea with very little down-trodden emotion seeping through. She was of course perfectly right. She was making a name for herself, something that was well-earned. Valen had proselytized Rarity's cult of fashion on more than a few stages and for good cause. She simply was the best, from head to hoof and all around the greatest designer of her age. Her name was bound to get out there. But she also knew her limits, which was what his business plan hit. Demand was up up up. And up. Up some more even. But time did not suddenly stretch out to accommodate schedules. The busier you got the more cruelly short the days became and no doubt time was a limiting factor on how much she could do. Hiring ponies- the right ponies- to learn her techniques and recreate her original designs en masse so she could surpass even a greater demand would ensure that she not only exceeded by a great deal what she was doing now, but even had far more free time to flex her well honed creative muscles.

“Da, I figure as much. You vill see vhat I have set up when we see plan together, da? Zen we see what future hold for Miss Rarity,” Valen ended hopefully. His plan would have flaws and maybe she wouldn't go for it, but he was confident in what he had used his education on.

More confident than he was in trying to figure out what Rarity meant vis a vi the waiter. What signs about what? He was troubled by the implication that being a filly for only a few hours dulled Valen to some signals being sent his way. Was there a class he could take about secret signals or was Rarity missing something herself? That wasn't likely. She was a sharp mare and he didn't mean her horn, even though he was sure that was sharp too. Valen tilted his head to the left side, locks of hair curling around to hide his betrayed right eye as if it was a bashful little playmate seeking shelter from ridicule, continuing to process as Rarity turned down his offer of sharing the most delicious of soups. But Valen was still a stop or two behind.

“Vhat do you mean signals? He was polite being, da? You called me beautiful, he just doing ze same. Vhat I miss? Ohh...you don't mean...” the answer slowly dawned on him, eliciting a blush and a sy retreat behind the mane, “I suddenly not want zis pie...as much anyway...” Valen whispered lowly before returning to his soup slowly, making quick work of it even then...it was just that good!

Archived