Official Discussion Thread - S04E14 Filli Vanilli

It is that time of the week again when we all huddle around our computers and televisions and watch adorable ponies do adorable pony things. In this week's episode, Fluttershy, everyone's favorite background pony, will step up with her voice talent to help a group called the "Ponytones". Will there be a musical number? Actually the real question is, where there be more than one musical number? Find out in just a few hours! Please discuss the episode, but remember to keep the spoilers in the spoilers bracket. Episode airs Saturday 10 AM EST on February 15th.

Fluttershy_hugging_Big_Mac_and_Rarity_promotional_S4E14.jpg

We swear this isn't a new ship!

:-|

Or is it?

:shifty:

I went in with low expectations of yet another Fluttershy-is-scared-of-social-situation episode. We did get that, but it was delivered quite well with an interesting story and situation to back it up. Pinkie Pie felt horribly out of character with her comments to Fluttershy; she seemed almost mean about it, in an ignorant kind of way. The other girls were good about checking her, though. The music was really nice, especially the quartet singing. I loved the Cheerilee swoon; CheeriMac shippers rejoice!

Overall this episode was fun, watchable, and delivered an interesting story. I'd give it a 7.5/10.

6/10 (my rant pretty much is a spoiler)

Who knew Fluttershy's mind was so... full of fear and terror. Pinkie Pie went WAYYY out of character, Twilight actually flying without fail, Flutterguy is a canon name. Cheerlie Swoon, and the many faces of Fluttershy updated for season 4! That's a good bit of continuity for one episode. But sure, I'll take the episode as one whole character development cycle. Oh, did I mention those eyes?, and the various new Flutter<inserthidespot> nicknames?

Score down due to Pinkie Pie breaking character. Never pull a character breaker. Not even when inherent 4th wall breaking is there. Oh, and Rarity totally understanding that Fluttershy doesn't want to go on stage to sing so it's a waste of talent. It was an episode for the artsy types though, showing that talents are better when shared with others.

First major misstep of season four for me. Big step down from the last three weeks.

And it's not just because it's a Fluttershy episode, though I suppose that does make it an uphill battle for me. Everything was just setup awkwardly, from the very beginning. Fluttershy sings all the time around her friends. They know what she sounds like. Why are they so surprised here? It's just completely overblown. And then we find out that Rarity and Big Mac are a part of a seemingly popular vocal group together; where did this even come from? When did that start? Who are the other two ponies? I was not someone who had any trouble adjusting to something like Shining Armor's existence when it was revealed, but this seems like a sudden thing to have just exist for this episode, especially since I fear it won't last beyond the episode.

Then there was the characterization. There have been a lot of complaints about Pinkie Pie this season, but other than Rainbow Falls where everyone was off slightly, she has mostly been used in more or less the right way. This episode was just completely wrong. She was outright mean to Fluttershy. Give those lines to Rainbow Dash. Pinkie Pie has been established since very early on to be acutely aware of Fluttershy's sensitivities. This was really too much, and the rest of the characters seemed either flat or forced as well, especially in the aforementioned overreactions to Fluttershy at the start.

The plot was simple and exceedingly obvious. Not always a bad thing, but unlike with the brilliant episode last week, the core performances weren't near as much fun to watch. Nothing in the story succeeded to impress me. I actually struggle to have much to say about it. It seemed maybe a little set up. Zecora can fix a chipped tooth instantly with a potion, but a lost voice takes several days? Did Big Mac even take a remedy. His voice might have came back on its own by how much time we saw pass. Seemed a little like the situation was being forced there.

Sure, there was some cute in it. I always adore seeing Zecora. Cheerilee swooning over Big Mac was great. Big Mac in general in a role like this was pretty good. Brining back Flutterguy was an interesting and kind of fun little move. Ultimately though, when the episode is only making me smile when it panders, when it recalls something familiar I've enjoyed before, that can hardly be called a success. The only new thing I enjoyed really was the singing; I didn't mind hearing the Ponytones one song repeated so much, since it was genuinely pretty charming.

So yeah, probably the worst episode of season four for me by a considerable margin. A rare misstep from Amy Keating Rogers, who's only other episode I didn't really like was Cutie Pox. I may not be a huge fan of Fluttershy, but I don't set out to dislike her episodes. According to the synopses we have coming out, we have another Fluttershy episode in just two weeks. I sincerely hope that one is better than this.

Flutterguy is a canon name

It's always been a canon name. "Spike: This is hilarious! [laughs] Look at all of you! We got: Hairity, Rainbow Crash, Spitty Pie, Apple Teeny, Flutterguy, and... uh... I got nothin'... Twilight Sparkle. I mean seriously, I can't even work with that."

EDIT: I'll have my own opinion soon. The story was OK, but after Pinkie Pride, I was trying REEAAAAAAALLY HARD to not hate Pinkie with every fibre of my being. I mean, she was the main conflict in Castle Mania, an otherwise hilarious episode. Ugggggh, I cannot stand her anymore.

7/10. It was okay- the songs were nice, Fluttershy was fine, I liked AJ's bit near the end of the episode with Big Mac. The major problem was Pinkie Pie- three times I went, "wtf, Pinkie Pie?" and she seemed out of character by a large degree and it really hurt the episode. With a normal Pinkie Pie this is an 8, a solid episode. I like the Ponytones as a concept and for Big Mac I really like it, gives him a bit of character outside of, "such hard work, much family, so silence, wow". I do agree that Rarity's inclusion seems a bit odd. Anywho, perfectly fine, fun episode, but soured by Pinkie.

3 out of 5.

Pinkie Pie's behavior was too OOC, and Fluttershy fighting her fears is tired territory by now. The episode was mildly enjoyable though, thus explaining the average-level score.

Other than Pinkie being painfully out of character and Fluttershy's fear being done to death, it was a cute, fun episode. I know a lot of people think Fluttershy is a boring, basic character, but I love her to death anyway. Sorry. :/

People keep mentioning this Cheerilee swoon, but I couldn't find it. Only scenes with her in it was her talking to the Ponytones and later being happy they performed for the school. She seemed happy but not swooning. Did I miss a scene?

People keep mentioning this Cheerilee swoon, but I couldn't find it. Only scenes with her in it was her talking to the Ponytones and later being happy they performed for the school. She seemed happy but not swooning. Did I miss a scene?

it was during the Ponytones first performance with Fluttershy singing, I believe. It was cute. :)

The favourite episode of the season for me keeps changing with each one that goes to air and this morning, this was no exception.

So with that said despite this write up being a bit shorter than usual......

"Another great episode is in the history books! One word, outstanding! Especially with @AndreaLibman's voice work. Well done!"

Now for those who haven't seen the episode just yet, I have spoilered my thoughts on the episode below out of respect:

It has been a while since a single episode centred around Fluttershy has been done and when this episode went to air this morning, it did not disappoint.

Now just for curiosity's sake, the Ponytones name for me is actually a play on word of Australia's very own Delltones (link) who for those aren't in the loop are a rock and roll band who were very famous in the 70's and 80's. The Ponytones in this case aren't actually rock and roll performers like the Delltones but are actually a singing group like a barber shop quartet or mini choir and they are really good as per this tweet below:

"Catchy, toe tapping and actually pretty good! These Ponytones are outstanding!"

Hearing Big Mac sing for the very first time and also the return of Flutterguy also made for the outstanding musical performances in the episode itself and seeing Fluttershy in the Ponytones outfit towards the end of the episode and performing on stage actually to be honest, got me a bit teary eyed knowing that she finally did it and overcame the odds once again.

Another part of the episode which also struck a chord is the reference to Hurricane Fluttershy when she was exposed during one of the performances and her anxiety kicked in resulting in her running from the stage in tears.

Seeing Fluttershy being upset, especially towards the end where Pinkie pushed her to the emotional limits got me a bit teary. I know what it's like to be pushed to the limit and have my anxiety and stress levels tested to the breaking point and eventually breaking down in tears, so I can easily relate to Fluttershy's situation as a whole.

Apart from that, this episode is a high ranking one in my books. The story was also well written and the lesson at the end was also a nice touch.

I also have written my full thoughts on the episode itself on my blog, which can be viewed here.

This was a fun episode, but it's only one step ahead of Rainbow Falls for me. Which isn't great, as Rainbow Falls has no qualities that make me interested in ever rewatching it. Filli Vanilli might get a rewatch if only because of the catchy music.

Big Mac singing and Cheerilee swooning were the best moments in this episode. I liked the callback to the poison joke, as well. But aside from this I was just bored for the same reason I find Fluttershy a boring character. Her episodes just feel like rehashes every time. This wasn't an exception. She should do a thing - she is too shy to do a thing - she does a thing anyways - lessons are learned. Yet she never feels like she grows as a character. This would have been a success for me if only they had had her join the Ponytones even if just for smaller performances as her first baby step because as it is, just singing in front of her friends and animals was no different from a regular day for her apart from costumes, a stage, and a few other ponies to sing with.

Also what even Pinkie?

Still a fun episode that I enjoyed watching, but because of all the issues I have with it I doubt if I'll want to rewatch it.

Another thing that bothered me about the episode:

How in the world could Fluttershy melt down over the thought of performing in front of an audience, yet showed no such problems in "Rainbow Falls"? And Flutters isn't even good at sports. <_<

First major misstep of season four for me. Big step down from the last three weeks.

And it's not just because it's a Fluttershy episode, though I suppose that does make it an uphill battle for me. Everything was just setup awkwardly, from the very beginning. Fluttershy sings all the time around her friends. They know what she sounds like. Why are they so surprised here? It's just completely overblown..

Twilight says its the first time they've heard her sing a solo like that which is true She is usually singing with the entire group or singing a song in private

Anyways I like the episode Fluttershy is my favorite and I thought it was funny

Twilight says its the first time they've heard her sing a solo like that which is true She is usually singing with the entire group or singing a song in private

Anyways I like the episode Fluttershy is my favorite and I thought it was funny

Perhaps it's not quite as much as I stated, but they've heard her sing solo at least. Seven episodes back, in Bats, Fluttershy sang a solo part counterpoint to AJ with all the group there. Going back further, Rainbow Dash at least got a very good look at her full vocal range in May the Best Pet Win in their duet and in Best Night Ever, all six got a solo vocal part.

I ended up liking this one a lot, maybe because of the negativity I saw here giving me lower expectations. I just wish Fluttershy's voice stayed male for the rest of the season and future episodes explore how that would affect her and the perception others have of her. Also, I liked weird nasty Pinkie and Fluttershy's nightmare scene.

Perhaps it's not quite as much as I stated, but they've heard her sing solo at least. Seven episodes back, in Bats, Fluttershy sang a solo part counterpoint to AJ with all the group there. Going back further, Rainbow Dash at least got a very good look at her full vocal range in May the Best Pet Win in their duet and in Best Night Ever, all six got a solo vocal part.

Most of the time, I assume they aren't actually singing, especially with "Bats", that the whole song was in Fluttershy's imagination and what really happened was just them debating. Only when the song is stated to be a song that I think they are singing in-story.

I dunno. Fluttershy showed off her voice a lot during the pet song, I thought. Maybe more of a showcase for Rainbow, but still...

And yeah, I get the idea that maybe they're singing, maybe they're not, but so often they do lampshade it in the episode that I'd just as soon assume they are most of the time, I dunno. Either way, even if they hadn't heard her sing like this, they should have a general idea of how she sounds. The wide eyes and slacked jaws at the beginning just seemed a little bit too much for me is all I'm saying.

especially since, in my opinion, Fluttershy has like the fifth best singing voice of the group. :twisted:

I found Pinkie Pie not only out of character, but creepy. I know the writer intended for her to be obliviously making the situation worse, but it was so negative and aggressive that it came across as intentional to me. If her hair was deflated it would have made a lot more sense. :mad:

And aside form Fluttershy overcoming her fears again, I liked this episode. Especially Cheerilee swooning and the scene between AJ and Big Mac near the end. The turkey calling bit was pretty funny too.

Archived