princess celestia's mane

what shape is princess Celestia's mane? how does it work?

is it just made up of stuff-ness, like nightmare moon's?

is it just like any other hair, just it's constantly blowing in the breeze?

is it sort of a combination of the last two?

what would happen if we rotated the camera around her a full 360º?

would it be flat like paper?

does it just look the same no matter what angle you look at it? like the food items on super smash bros?

does it actually have a three-dimensional shape?

reference pictures so you don't have to look:

celestiamistake.jpg

mlpfim_ep0263.png?t=1298574126

mlpfim_ep1351.png?t=1297182433

there's also a shot of her from behind in "a bird in the hoof", but I couldn't find any pictures

I'm not talking about her tail, even though they should work the same way :) her tail seems more free to move and change shape than her mane does

this is 3/4 joke, 1/4 serious question ._.

Since Nightmare Moon's mane seems to be a physical manifestation of space and the astrological bodies within it, Celestia's is probably a physical manifestation of the visible light spectrum created by the sun. I figure that she can control it similar to NMM's but doesn't get many opportunities to use it like that in the show(or the the animators just find it easier to animate unicorn telekinesis than a freeflowing mane as an extra appendage :) ).

Since Nightmare Moon's mane seems to be a physical manifestation of space and the astrological bodies within it, Celestia's is probably a physical manifestation of the visible light spectrum created by the sun. I figure that she can control it similar to NMM's but doesn't get many opportunities to use it like that in the show(or the the animators just find it easier to animate unicorn telekinesis than a freeflowing mane as an extra appendage :) ).

I can't even tell you how hilarious I find the idea of Celestia having a prehensile mane. There is so much Trollestia potential in that I don't even know where to begin.

also another thing, why does so filly celestia have pink hair in so much fan art? is there a fanfic or something out there I don't know about? or is it just a thing? or what :D

these are just some pictures that I found when I searched "filly celestia". there wen't very many rainbow-haired ones

filly_celestia_display.jpg

filly_celestia_by_nullh-d3hszot.jpg

celestia_filly_by_moongazeponies-d3daq60

celestia_filly__except_pink_by_moongazep

tumblr_lmtn3c731R1qczvpto1_500.jpg

19370%20-%20artist%3Amihaaaa%20celestia%

18048+-+artist+Blackm3sh+celestia+filly+

31583af44f940001eedcf2c1dae157a9.png

also another thing, why does so filly celestia have pink hair in so much fan art? is there a fanfic or something out there I don't know about? or is it just a thing? or what :D

these are just some pictures that I found when I searched "filly celestia". there wen't very many rainbow-haired ones

Probably because of the story told way back when about Mare in the moon, as you can see in our banner she had pink hair 1000 years back so maybe it has something to do with that. That's what I gathered anyway.

Well, as you can see from the show, it appears that, at least as Fillies, both Luna and Celestia did not have the whole 'wavy hair' thing. Nightmare Moon's hair is much like Celestia's, however, Luna's is more the standard that everypony else has. Also, as BlindJester mentioned, in the very beginning of the first episode, Celestia appears to have pink hair in the story/book, before she defeats Nightmare Moon, after which she gains her wavy sky hair.

hi hi

I'm in the process of drawing a comic that contains my take on why her mane changed color -among other things. The way I see it, Celestia's crown, collar, shoes, as well as Nightmare Moon's old armored crest are/were infused with magic that amplifies their magic power, thus enabling them to raise the sun and moon. Their larger size and billowing hair is a side effect of the amplified magic. (they also amplified emotions, which is why Luna's jealousy turned her into Nightmare Moon, and why she turned back into Luna when the armored crest was destroyed.)

At least, thats my take on it.

I always figured nightmare moon's nightmare-moon-ness is just what happens to an angry pony when you leave it on the moon for too long :? and I never even thought about the storybook XD even though the banner at the top of the site shows them in storybook form :D

NANOBOTS

Her mane and tail are entirely made of nanobots. She's a construct of a robotic overlord who drives a spaceship called the sun that is fueled by kindness and friendship, so in order to dupe the ponies into being good the overlord formed a benevolent leader for the ponies to keep them happy.

From what I can gather, there are three possible explanations:

1) Her mane is the source of her power, and therefore is the epicenter of all her magicalness.

2) Her mane is a mystical mind control device that keeps all the other ponies from challenging her unquestioned authority. Remember, Big Sister is Watching You!

3) Magic. Yep, just the default explanation for anything unexplained in the show. Seems to be the most likely answer considering that they have curling irons, and "electric" ovens.

• 2 weeks later...

She's constantly casting epic level magic. All day erry day. She's moving the sun and moon, after all.

If we look at Boast Busters, we can see that Twilight's mane billows much like Celestia's as she's fixing the problem Snips and Snails made and showing up Trixie at the same time.

• 6 years later...