Luna and the Dreamscape - Episode 6: Swift Squall

Hippo

banner_luna_zpsd0aade62.png

"No, it's fine. Keep it."

"Are you sure, Princess? We can always push it back fifteen minutes."

"I cannot expect ponies to sleep when I need them to. The time is good as is."

Princess Luna's helper had wondered when she was going to bring up to the Princess that she has been late several times in the past month to enter the dreamscape. She suggested to push it back in the schedule in order to lessen the stress of being punctual. "But Princess, you've been late seven times this month, and the moon isn't even full yet."

The Princess sighed as she sat in her dreamscape chair, and then quickly drank the necessary potion to prepare lucidly for the sleeping journey ahead. "Yes, well. I shall work harder on that. It is very important that the moment is scheduled when it needs to be, not when it's convenient for me." The stewardess stayed silent as Luna lectured back a respectful but regretful response, even though this conversation has happened several times before. "Let's just hope that I didn't miss anything." Luna shooed her helper away as she quickly drifted to the dreamscape.

Luna stood up from being prone, and she was in a very large plain of browned grass as tall as her own legs. And in the distance, she could see a fire burning through the dried brush. Luna gasped. "What did I miss!?"

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

No...! That wasn't how it supposed to happen! swordstallion thought as he galloped through tall grass. It, a cloud of gray smoke and air shimmering from the heat of the inferno before him.

They were heret to stop Doing Thing Done from escaping. But they...the thing that the done, setting savanna, the forest and village ablaze ...it was unforgivable! Even if zebras were evacuated beforehoof...destroying all of their worldly possessions like that. Swift clenched his teeth and speed up even more...

Only too suddenly realize that grass ended and Squall found himself on large open space just before the burning village... One second later, swordstallion was forced to dodge javelin thrown at him! Flying spear missed just by the inch and got stuck in the dry ground.

Rolling out of the harms way, unicorn gave a still vibrating tribal weapon, before shifting his gaze at pony who thrown it. Of course...he was looking for him. And he looked as furious as Squall himself.

"You...! What have you done?!!" noblepony spit the words at his former employer. The were almost literally dripping with anger and venom.

"Have you lost your mind? Burning the village to the ground spreading the flames to it..just to SPITE ME?!" pony screamed and drawn his sword, unable to hold out his righteous anger anymore. Everything was burning - the sky, the ground, the village and right now, his spirit too...

"CONDOTTIERE!!!" Squall roared and both ponies leaped at each other. There was no room for words anymore. The spear of the older pony, and the sword belonging to the younger clashed against each other. Both the ponies and their weapons moving at near blinding spears. Rarely was such display of skill seen in Equestria or Unyasi...and ferocity of the duel was unlike any other in the span decades. This clash was as unavoidable as ones on the arena of the coliseum. Only one of them will trot from here in one piece....

Luna flew with haste to the burning village, and as she approached she could hear clanking of steel and iron. Metal against metal as if two ponies were fighting. When Luna got to one of the buildings that was ablaze, she walked around it to see in the open area of the village, what remained of a central location for a township so remote, two ponies were throwing metal weapons at each other with anger and resentment on their faces. What's going on? Who are they? Luna pondered to herself, thinking about hastily intruding on their conflict. However, as she would soon choose, she waited to see what would happen between these ponies.

It was odd to Luna. She couldn't even tell who's dream this was. Assuming both ponies couldn't possibly be lucid, one of them had to be having the dream. But the environment, the sounds, the emotion, it was all so real, and it even fooled Luna into reading this dream like a book--the way she always has in the past. For now, she would wait to see what would develop in the conflict. Maybe she could get a clue with what they screaming at one another.

Applejack.pnglunabuttonsig_zpsc23a2b97.pngshiningbuttonsig_zps6d87c176.pngflaxseed.pngGranola_Gracie.pngArrow_Plain.pngMiracle.pngRemington.pngSugar_Rush-1.pngCoconut_Lime.png

Not only the screech of clashing metal didn't get any lighter, fight got more physical as both ponies started to use their hooves for some heavy blows and even throwing small rocks with their magic.

Squall clenched his teeth as he barely evaded a spear thrust that still managed to graze his cheek. Their battle was quite even and both ponies were about equal when it came to the fighting skill. However slowly but surely, Swift started to gain advantage. He was younger, bigger, stronger and faster the Condottiere, who while still more experienced started to peter out. Squall anger didn't subsided either - opposite actually - older unicorn defiance seemed to only fuel it. With still strong blows noblepony started to overpower the mercenary leader.

"AAAAARAAAH!" series of strong slashes fueled by fury pushed gray pony to the defensive, forcing him backwards. Just enough for Squall to gain enough momentum.

"GREED SEVER!" Swift cried when doing a front flip combined with a weapon strike. The attack infused with both additional momentum and magical energy was too much for Condottieri spear. When green glowing sword struck the other weapon, it shattered like glass and made mercenary stumble.

"Got you!" swordstallion lunged forward, slashing one of his foe's leg and knocking him down with a tackle. It was a light strike that will heal, but seeing that older pony weapon was broken and his movement were now limited and on the ground, he was at Squall mercy....almost.

Condottiere horn lighted up but again, Swift was faster. Hammering appendage with one of his hooves, swordstallion stunned his foe and made him massage his horn as he rolled in pain.

"This is the end of the line Condottiere, your villainy ends now...." drowning more hate filled words. So...what now? The guards will swoop in and take this criminal? After all that his done? Maybe if he was repentant but...he wasn't. This last act only proven it, destroying lifework of not only this generation of zebras, but their ancestors as well. It will take years since the forest and surrounding savanna will recover enough to once more sustain the lives of Kuibu tribe.

Swift gave his hated nemesis another furious glare, and slowly rose his sword....

Luna watched as one of the ponies overpowered the other, smashing their weapons and magic and pinned them to whatever fate he deemed necessary. But this made Luna extremely uncomfortable. In fact, Luna wasn't even sure which pony was the dreamer. Should the pony who was defeated be the dreamer, their dream is probably going to end soon. Should it be the greater combatant, they would still have lots of explaining to do. And with words spoken aloud like 'villainy' and 'greed sever', Luna decided to do just that.

Luna summoned herself battle armor. She wanted to fit the part, in case it would ever lose meaning to the dreamer. This was obviously a war of some kind. Her armor was mostly gold plated, hugging the edges of her extremities, and shaping around her neck to protect from blows to the shoulder and neck region. Her hooves plated with golden plated slippers, that tangled around her legs to her knees.

armored_luna_by_gimlas-d696bch.png

She came out of the veld and approached the two ponies. Her pensively frowning face of suspicion wore thick. "What is going on here?"

And as Squall lifted his sword and struggled with himself - like he did for many night over many years - something went...different.

A royalty, clad in golden gear arrived out of nowhere , just as younger unicorn was standing over his beaten enemy. Swift was frozen in surprise as his gaze run from Luna, back to Condottiere and back to Luna again.

"What?.....Who...what are you doing here? It wasn't...it wasn't how it...." swordstallion stammered in confusion and still present but subjugated anger. But as his eyes were the eyes of the pony who lacked any idea of what's was going on, a moment later a glint of enlightenment appeared in them, which soon was followed by the realization "....It wasn't how it went. Of course, it all makes sense." he said dryly, any feeling of fury gone. Squall gave older unicorn one more look and he just....disappeared, scattering like a mist. Even flames seemed to die out, but the orange glow and smoke remained.

"A dream....like most of my nights...well not just a dream but..." stalliont shook his head. At that moment Swift realized that he was 'wearing' a completely ragged clothes - not surprising seeing that he just had a really close duel to near-death. With a deep breath he 'wished' for a better clothing. And voilà, here he was clothed in expensive white and light green Inverness coat.

"Now we both curious, and you are just confused as I was moment ago Night Princess. But seeing as I am a host, my question comes first. Which is...why gold if it doesn't suits you?" noblepony asked in deadpan voice.

Luna stood there pensively. Although the pony seemed to cognitively realize Luna's presence, Luna didn't budge her expression. She had the look that appeared as if she would strike down the pony who deserved punishment as soon as her suspicions were confirmed, which for the moment, she barely had any at all. But then the pony seemed to escape his intensity long enough to see his adversary disappear in a burst of dreaming mist, a sign which immediately told Luna that the still solid pony was the dreamer, and that the dream was definitely a situational moment possibly from memory. Eventually, after a few words of hearing, Luna dropped her expression with interest. "So, you're lucid?"

"Suit me?" Luna exhaled a scoff or two. "What difference does it make what I wear? Perhaps you're just a little upset that you cannot control me like you can almost everything else." Luna stepped forward, giving more dimensional angle to her height against the swordspony. "My question. If you're lucid, why are you having such an awful dream?"

Squall shrugged upon first question of the Princess.

"At least I feel that way. But I can't be sure. Of us two, you the expert."

As the alicorn trotted closer , swordpony stranded firmly. Despite the height difference Squall wasn't intimidated at all.

"You pretty judgmental You Highness, I though the mare like you had a little wider perspective. I just tried to relive the tension... and besides, I am the one of the last ponies that should control anything." he murmured, his expression turning into somewhat dejected one. Swift wasn't old, even in the dreamscape - but now he appeared really, really tired.

"And about a lucid part...I wasn't. Not until a moment ago. As I said earlier, I am no expert but it's apparently because of your presence here Luna. This....vision you saw is the one that I had thousand of times, but never before I had control over my subconsciousness. As such when you interfered it changed the pace and that - I think - made me lucid." Squall explained as best as he could.

"But that doesn't really explain your very first question, isn't it?" stallion said and smiled sadly.

The pony was very calm for being in a violent dream he couldn't control until Luna walked up. Luna was frustrated with the environment. Here they were in a dream that depicted a land away from home, tall grass ablaze, a burned down village, and a pony who said he's relived it thousands of times before. "So this dream is a memory of yours? Who was that pony you had pinned?" Luna was indifferent about the purpose of this dream. It was possible it was just a bland memory of a fight long ago, something that had long been forgotten by everypony who wasn't this pony. But if this 'tension' Swift speaks of was needed to rectify a real life issue, Luna would be curious enough to eventually find it out. And since the dream seemed fizzled already, she might as well ask as many questions as possible.

It seemed that their surroundings distracted the Princess. Was that because of unfamiliarity of Unyasi land? Or more probable, the blaze and destruction that surrounded them.

"Maybe there would be a better place to talk..." Squall said, and with that words everything around them turned into the whirlwind of colors. Soon the red, brown and black of the inferno and ruin around them was displaced....by purest white of snowy wastes and light blue of sharp ice.

Now Swift Squall and Luna were standing on the top of the icy mountains. But that wasn't the any range in either Equestria or Aquelia. It seemed that those frozen highs were somewhere in the Badlands, very far in the north. Quick look around showed that so far in fact that no trees or vegetation were anywhere in sight. Instead, over the horizon a large body of water could be seen. On it's sparkling waves a icebergs could be observed, their sharp peaks pointed upwards like a fingers in rage against the heavens. Overall a very beautiful if merciless landscape.

"This place is northernmost known mountain rage in the known world." Squall explained to the obviously confused Luna "I believe it's called Rimethorn Peaks and the sea we see is known as Sea of Ghosts. They are even farther then Crystal Empire which we would be able to see behind us. if I was to venture here by the time it was restored. Only once I traveled so far, chasing the bounty over some outlaw head. If not for the hot springs in caverns below us, as well as the strange mushrooms that grow there I would surely perish." he explained. It appeared that this was another recollection from the unicorn mind. The distance between their present location, and the place they were just a moment ago revealed that he was a type that traveled a lot.

Squall faced away and made a few steps, - his hooves creaking over the snow - as Luna asked her question.

"Indeed. I would go so far as to say it was the worst day of my life...but I don't want to tempt fate." swordstallion confirmed bitterly as the arctic wind billowed his mane and clothes.

"And him...my former employer turned worst enemy...It doesn't explain much isn't it?" he gave a mare lampshade over his answer, still gazing at the cold sea.

"I know why you here. You're trying to help me. But neither have I earned such kindness, nor you can change the memory. What's done is done and cannot be undone." swordstallion continued before pausing for the moment. The wind intensified and from the gray sky, first snowflakes started to fall.

"But it will not stop you Protector of the Dreamscape, isn't it?" Squall asked rhetorically as he turned around.

"...Very well then. Of all Equestria Princesses you are probably the one that can understand. I am Swift Squall of House Squallcoast. Descendant of Platinum, Heir of the last surviving Founding Family of Fillydelphia. Would you like to hear my tale?"

It was apparent to Luna that not everypony could understand her socratic method of speaking. Not every question was starving of information and clarity. Instead, Luna would occasionally ask questions to her subjects not as a query, but as a statement that will help lift the pony out of their own issues. And when they do, they can feel as though they did it themselves as they answered their own questions.

Swift Squall changed the arena completely. Luna was impressed, but she was visually unphased. Not only was Luna one who constantly shaped and shifted her own dreams and dreamscape realities to her liking, but she also was more interested in communicating with the pony's inner mind rather than marvel at the sparkles and auras a dreaming pony can develop.

In a blink of an eye, Luna re-positioned around her what looked like the inside of a log cabin, still located on top of the snowy cap. Next to her was a pillow and a healthy fire burning with artificial warmth. Luna lay down on the pillow and decided to let the pony entertain her for a bit. Maybe through listening to his story, she can better understand him, and attempt to help him with whatever dangerous recurrences he might have. "Go ahead, pony," she said flatly as if she was asking for it to not be a waste fo her time. "Tell us your story."

Squall...wasn't exactly pleased with appearance of the cabin. Not that he couldn't understand the need of warmth. Unlike him, Princess apparently felt effects of the weather - fitting, after all she had closer ties to the Dreamscape. No what really ticked Swift was nonchalance with which Luna approached the upcoming life-story. Did she realized that it was important for him?! A sign of trust from stallion, opening himself like that?!? And yet she was treating this as something boring, not worthy enough to take seriously.

An sign of anger flashed through swordstallion face, his jaw clutched. It was his dreams after all. How dared she....?!!

Squall turned around and took a deep breath. Maybe he was approaching this from the wrong side. How many dreams, issues like his this mare seen? Hundreds if not thousands. It's true that she returned only 'recently' but no matter the time or epoch basics of all problems remained the same. Years can go by but basic emotions remain the same. It was unfair of thinking about himself as somepony special, one that couldn't be understood by anypony else, foolish pride once again blinded him temporary to that. Isn't that was reason why he was trying to speak with her for this very reason....because he saw her and himself as birds of the feather? Swift turned around, his composure regained. His gaze calm with a hint of..pity? Understanding? It was hard to tell.

"....Very well. This will be a long one...although time seems to have no meaning here."

So he spoke, all of this truthfully, without sweetening any details. About fall with his parents - famous ponies in their own right - his fallout with father, running from home, joining REA Academy pretending to be older then he was, quiting just before graduating as the Honor Guard. Swift paused for a moment when he came to the part about his Master, one that tempered his swordponyship. Should he tell her? Ultimately he decided that he will, although he left his teacher species vague. After all he made a promise. Stallion the passed forward with his story, his mercenary days, mercifully however leaving his numerous adventures aside. While worth remembering they were not important. And then his life-story arrived to it's turning point. Squall's mother stopped sending financial support. Green-maned stallion no longer was able to pick contracts freely....

"It came to the point that I was desperate for job. What use is for all the skills when only options before you is...corrupt, dirty. Back then I was thinking that I will become...I don't know? Homeless? Last decent meal came two months ago yet...yet I was too thick headed to come back to my father. Blinded by my foolish arrogance and pride I would rather starve to death then yield!" for the first time during his story Squall showed emotion, his glare throwing lightning. And again it was anger...but it was clear that it was not directed toward his parent but....himself.

"Then....he appeared..." he murmured in dark tone.

Luna immediately started recognizing that this pony was very much affected by something that had happened in his life. Perhaps even a number of things. When the pony looked at Luna with an almost distaste for her arrangement around her, she couldn't help but notice some kind of resentment, as if Luna was trespassing on his dreams. This would definitely be something Luna would be conscious of, as she didn't truly want to intrude on a pony's dream if they didn't want her around. But at the same time, Luna wasn't going to keep a chance of enlightenment from a pony if they refused her services only once. It would take much more rejection before Luna left the pony to suffer in his dreams, by his own choice.

As he told his story, Luna grew compassionate for his perspective. He seemed like a pony who did what he felt he needed to do when the time was right. But something was mysterious about the way he spoke of his troubles, not that Luna thought he was lying. "Was it your father?" She asked curiously. Much of a twist in the story would it be if it was, but Luna could only identify what she thought would make it so hard on the pony even now. and maybe what would explain such a tormenting dream.

"No..." stallion said dryly, giving Princess a look with corner of his eye. "It was a pony you saw already." Swift quickly added.

Afterwards unicorn felt silent for a moment. Few moments later however he picked up from where he stopped.

"Grey Condottiere....although I believe it's not his real name, as false as many I myself used in the past. He is...used to be charismatic leader of group called 'Doing Things Done'. A mercenary of clear sight, a stallion who knew what he wanted. Excellent in many skills.....among them eye for talented ponies. And he found me to be one such pony. I....accepted. And I didn't regretted it...at first. We got through many jobs together...until it come to the series of contracts in Unyasi." he explained, his last words dripping with bitterness.

"At first it seemed it was just an cargo-escort jobs. The situation in zebra lands back then was...ugly. The zebras are peaceful kin but at that time differences and issues stopped being resolved with words and started being fought upon." Swift kept going with the story.

"For year and a half I seen situation becoming worse and worse. But I ignored it. While I always opposed eveil when it was before me, who I was to mess with a local matters? It disturbed and...and saddened me but I had a job to do. ot to mention that under 'DTD' I had a best pay I ever had as a sellsword. Enough that I didn't knew what to do with it anymore. I grew in luxury but years as a vagrant though me frugality." unicorn explained. But strangely he stopped standing in a place, instead walking along the cabin door.

"But one nigh...I found out that one of the crates from Equestria was damaged. So I went to check it out. Do you know what was inside?" Squall voice has gone husky as he stopped in his tracks, before turning around and leaning towards Luna.

"Weapons....weapons that I seen before. In the hooves of zebras. And do you know what I found in crates that were going towards Equestria? Medicine. Medicine that was needed there and instead was swindled from zebras for laughably small prices! Swift Squall almost yelled the last part, obviously outraged by the memory.

"I done a little investigation after this discovery. And it turned out...it turned out it was mercenary companies...among them my own that was envenoming conflicts in Unyasi..and then selling weapons in profit. And 'DTD' was first one....the first one which do so, and others followed this precedent. I confronted Condottiere about it...and he didn't denied it. He apparently didn't care." the unicorn now was trembling in fury, his eyes throwing lightning at the thought of the injustice. His hoof smacked wood beneath his, sending splinters flying. Venting some of his anger on non-existing floor swordstallion continued.

"I quit on the spot. I was furious. I was horrified. But most of all I was disguised and ashamed of myself. The very fact that I ponysonaly had small part in every bit of suffering that transpired during that time. I didn't now...but lack of knowledge isn't a justification."

"At first I wanted too throw it all to Tartarus and forgot about it. But I couldn't. I was responsible for this mess. Not wholesomely - I am not arrogant enough to claim this - but still I had my part. So instead I decided to stay." Squall paused, his face again calm, yet frowning.

"Stay and fight it."

After Swift revealed what looked to be the rest of the story up until now, explaining that this whole dream was his recollection and a strict memory of his past and inability to cope with his guilt, Luna decided to go ahead and treat him to as much comfort as possible, but in a non-cuddly way, as he seemed to be more of the rugged type. "As Princess Luna, I hereby pardon you of your military transgressions in Unyasi. You will not be confronted for your willingness to help Equestria, and therefore will not be punished." Luna said this in a monotone voice. She didn't think it would settle the pony down completely, but it was worth a try to distinguish some of the tension and stress the pony was facing. A lot of it appeared like post-traumatic stress, too, which made Luna feel like it was almost futile to try and help him. But of course, she was stubborn enough to keep trying to help.

She stood up and walked over to the pony, who looked like he had his fair share of battles, even in his dreams. She rested a hoof on his shoulder. "You need to let it go." Luna smiled. She wanted to keep it simple. She wasn't sure how else she could simplify the issue. If he was haunted by a moment of regret, the only thing he could do is forget it and move on. But since he cannot forget, he must push past it and realize his future is always more important than his past.

• 2 weeks later...

"No...you still don't understand. With a crime such as this I could live...but my discovery of illegalities in Unyasi wasn't an end but just a beginning." Squall shook his head sadly.

"After I left Doing Things Done I used those...dirty...filthy money to form a militia. It turned out that I wasn't the only one that mercenary companies got under skin." stallion continued.

"And I say 'companies' because DtD wasn't the only one. Condottiere set a precedent for other such groups and now may of them was pillaging the zebra lands. I...changed my 'name'....again, and recruited willing and like minded zebras, ponies, griffon's...it didn't matter as long as they opposed this injustice. And we were doing good...very good, we steadily pushed out sell swords from many regions, sometimes clashing with Condottiere himslef . But all those money I earned while hefty wasn't infinite. We needed supplies and support from the mainland....But not many wanted to hear about this. The best way would be nobles and I tried it at first, but they were too busy being locked in their golden cages without trouble, concern or heart to care. I concluded that maybe if I would write an articles about Unyasi...about real Unyasi, that of the present day I would gain much needed attention. But newspapers and publishers claimed it wasn't a good topic to write abut. I...we kept being rejected...but one pony listened to us. Do you know who it was?" Squall asked, but it was obvious he didn't expected the answer.

"Of all ponies a one media magnate got interested. My very own father. How ironic it was, isn't it? He didn't knew that this writer...this 'Persistent Quill'. Why I didn't revealed myself to him back then? I don't know. I think I was afraid....but not about confronting our issues, no. Back then I only had in mind the fact that he spread our word and for good of zebra lands I couldn't afford to lose that support."

For a moment Swift felt silent...perhaps to catch his breath...even through it wasn't needed obviously. It was more likely he tried to put rest of his story into right words.

"So I kept my mouth...or quill at a time, shut. They were more urging matters then my own ponysonal problems. And finally, finally we caught both government and public attention. We got funds, and may months later - after all diplomatic issues were taken care of - a whole legion of REA came to assist us. They could as well not bother, by the time they got to the continent only Condottiere and his 'DtD' remained, but still it was a huge morality burst. We cornered him. Him and his croonies, between mountain rage and a jungle, on a belt of savanna only 5 miles wide. A perfect place for a trap. A place and trap that I choose...." unicorn words turned bitter and his gaze became vacant. It was obvious he wasn't with Luna at the moment, his memories consumed him completely. So completely in fact, that landscape behind windows once again burst into flames. He seemed to do it subconsciously.

"You see, a zebra tribe lived at that belt. Ojambe Clan was...is unique. It was one of a few zebra tribes who kept their own history records, they had their very own scripts. They written on the bark of the trees in the nearby jungle, keeping their centuries long history." swordpony paused once more, gathering strength to go on with what was haunting him,

"Condottiere..he knew it was over. That he had no chance to escape.....so...so he set both savanna and jungle aflame. Why? Too spite me I believe He had no other reason and nothing to lose. I...I wasn't expecting it...but I should...I was the leader of the militia for so long that I should. And I failed." Squall gnashed his teeth, furious at himself even through those events were long past.

"The flames....flames spread to the history trees...and later to the village. No zebra was harmed, we managed to evacuate them. But..but in one night...in a single night Ojambe lost their all earthly possessions and their culture. But I wasn't there to comfort them. I never after had a courage to look into their eye's and apologize for how much I SCREWD UP!" he screamed the last part, furious at his past failure.

"No...back then I had one pony in mind. Him. I wanted to find him, just for myself. I wanted to punish him. I wanted to hurt him. I hated him....I hated him so much that I wasn't planning to capture him, no. I wanted to commit the unspeakable. And never....never before I was consumed by such powerful vice. I...I sorry to make this comparison but if...if we would switch worst day of our lives I would go the same path as you did Princess. So much I was consumed by fury." stallion voice was dripping venom, even through he himself was trembling. If just memory could induce such strong feeling in otherwise stoic stallion, then how he had to feel back then? Only one pony in the world could know, and she was just next to him.

"You...you understand, don't you?" it was more a plea then a question. A craving for confirmation that he wasn't only pony who could be consumed - even if only temporary - by such strong vice. Unicorn shook his head dejectly and sighted before picking up where he left.

"You saw what happened when we met. No doubt that he shared my feelings that night, but mine were apparently stronger....strong enough to overpower him. But...but maybe it would be better to show instead to tell what happened afterwards...." Swift asked bleakly.

Luna was taken into the story of the dream, both socially and metaphysically. It didn't phase her at all, however. Her senses were pretty attuned to dreamscapes by now. She didn't control everything, but it always seemed like she knew where everything was at all times. Awareness was definitely a subject too, as the dreamer seemed overly frustrated with himself about his story and his outcome. The path that lead him to almost a self-exile, trying to seek stability by reacting to pure fury. And then, when Luna thought this pony couldn't really come to terms with who he was, he seemed to compare himself to the Princess. According to what the Princess had understood, he was saying that being overcome by a nightmare who would manipulate you to resent your princess sister and be encased into the self-torture for a thousands years isolated from everypony and everything was a less torture than the one he was experiencing having a feud and fury with a single mercenary pony. Luna was so taken away from that though that she couldn't even verbally respond to that just yet. The only thing she could say was to help the pony understand her take on things so far, and to allow him to conclude his story.

"Tell me what happened then, and I'm afraid I must go. I fear there is little I can help you with this evening, and many ponies are struggling with spirits of failure and fears around Equestria that require my presence. Even in dreams must my schedule be well kept."

• 2 weeks later...

"Your right" Squall nodded in agreement. The scenery changed once again, returning back to the moment Princess decided to make her presence known. The only difference was the fact that there were two Squall's now. One standing close to her, looking somewhat dejected and the other, younger one - the twister of fury standing over his beaten opponent with a raised sword. Luna and swordstallion watched as sword moves backwards to gain momentum. Eyes in past Swift glints dangerously.....his magic swings a blade with an furious cry.....

To strike ground next to the Condottiere.

Just a second later two ponies emerge from the grass, and hey see mercenary leader and next to him, a younger unicorn, breathing heavily and shaking so much that he leaned on his sword for support.

"Mister Quattro?! Oh my gosh, you beat him!" young mare proclaimed with excitement.

"Take him away...." Squall growled.

"Mister...Quattro?" a second pony, an earth pony stallion asked.

"Take him away, quickly. Deliver him to the REA expedition. Now.....before I do something I regret." past Squall hissed. It became clear that he wasn't shaking because of the exhaustion.

The pair didn't needed to have the order repeated. They quickly tied older unicorn up, even placing restrictive ring on his horn before taking Condottiere away and disappearing into the grass.

The Squall was left alone with himself, slowly calming himself his breaths becoming more harmonious and his trembling ebbing away. After that stallion rose his head and gave a good look at the destruction around him. The flames almost completely consumed the zebra houses that surrounded him. His face twisted in anguish and he sit down burying it in his front hooves, just as first heavy droplets started falling from the sky. The scene melted away into heavy downpour and gray colors and Luna and Squall founded themselves....at Baltimare train station?

"This was the final day. It was over. No more struggling, no more chasing. The main wrongdoer was caught. But while both my comrades in arms and REA expedition members prised me...it didn't felt like a victory. And it wasn't. Because nopony won. All of us lost something without gaining anything in return. But at least they could sleep peacefully again....but I couldn't. Not only my botched ambush had cost Ojambe tribe everything. I myself almost did something terrible. That day I was taken by the vice so powerful that I almost ended the life of other sentient being. And the one that was at my mercy and no longer posed any danger. You understand do you? How it is to be lost in negative emotion...if only for a moment. I...." swordstallion wanted to say more but the voice failed him. Partialy of overwhelming emotions...but also because he didn't wanted dragging the topic any further. It was enough that he felt horrible, reminding Luna of her darkes momet would serve nothing but upsetting her. So instead he stood silent for a moment before picking up from where he left.

"As of Condottieri....I don't know what happened with and honestly I don't care. I wasn't present on his trial, they allowed me to present testimony on paper. I heard they thrown him to the jail to rot. Rightfully so I think. Not for once he shown any contriteness for anypony else but himself. As of Ojambe tribe... Swift sighted heavily "I heard that they rebuild their lives. I hope that it's true. Since that time I made many donations for they cause...but never once I found courage to return to Unyasi and check on them. I believe they still blame me for their loss. Of course they are correct." Swift stated in sad voice.

"The only bright part was...when I meet with my father. He's....he's the only pony I told that I was both Quattro Badge and Persisted Quill. Never before I saw him so...proud of me after I confessed that." for the first time since Princess entered Squall's dreams he smiled. The memory of reconciling with his father had to mean a lot to Swift.

"A-and I was proud of him too. Other press titans ignored the plea's for help but he....He didn't. Dad did the right thing and reminded me why I looked up to him so much. We were both so stupid, we hurt ourselves with our stubbornness. But in the end we ended up learning important lesson....Now that I think about, we weren't quarreling from this day since." stallion said with amazement and his smile got a little wider.

"Funny...I said you couldn't aid me but...I feel a lot better now. I guess you helped me after all." unicorn looked straight at Luna, with a sparkle in his eyes that wasn't there before.

• 3 weeks later...

The troubled pony was interesting to watch, as his dream argued with himself over what happened and how he should organize his thoughts. Towards the end, the pony seemed to gain much more composure and was seeing things from a brighter angle, even admitting that he wasn't sure if Luna could help, but that he felt better about it now than he did before. "Sometimes spilling your comprehension of a situation and reliving the memories with integrity and honesty is all that is needed to feel better about something. I recommend you do it more often. You might be more sane than you know." Luna gave a playful wink, which she hoped would send the right message. The message that said that he would be OK, even without her presence. Luna would spend every day with every pony if she was physically able, but even alicorns are not capable of such power.

Luna spread her wings against the brisk breeze of the dreamscape. "Well, Swift. I must say your dreams are very interesting. I'm sure we'll meet again some other day. But for now, I think I have a little filly in Ponyville that is having the same reoccurring nightmare, and she needs some help. Dream well!" Luna smiled and began glowing with the essence of the dreamscape, her body sparkling into magical dust before it was dissolved within seconds in the dreamscape wind current. And just like that, the princess of the night was gone.

Archived