Official Discussion Thread - S04E18 Maud Pie

It is that time of the week again when we all huddle around our computers and televisions and watch adorable ponies do adorable pony things. In this week's episode, we meet Pinkie Pie's third sister, Maud Pie. What is she like? How will she fit in with Pinkie's friends? Is she part Crystal Pony from an affair? Seriously, she kinda has a crystal pony eye design going there. Well, find out more in just a few hours! Please discuss the episode, but remember to keep the spoilers in the spoilers bracket. Episode airs Saturday 10:30 AM EST on March 15th.

Maud_Pie_EW_promotional_image.jpg

Okay, Rarity?

;) What the hay are you wearing on your head?!? :-| No, just.. No. :shock:

I liked this one! There's still some unanswered questions (like Pinkie's other sisters we saw in a S1 flashback). It was fun, involved all Mane Six, and presented more of Pinkie Pie and her family as characters. She wasn't over the top this episode as she tends to be, especially with fourth wall/random shenanigans. I give this episode a rock-solid 8/10.

when maud saved her, and when she saved pinkie from the rocks

this was a good episode i liked it very close second to pinkie pride for me i almost cried and i'm a guy lol almost sad tears WHEN...

This one was hilarious. :D

And it really all begins and ends with Maud herself. We've had some good new characters this season, from Coco and Suri to Cheese Sandwich, but Maud Pie is probably the best so far. Whoever the voice actress is, her delivery is absolutely perfect and the way the character is written is just spot on. Almost everything she said and did drew a laugh from me. I don't recall the last time I've found a guest character so entertaining. Just the way she interacted with the mane six was delightful, especially since most everyone was very well written.

It was kind of light on plot. Certainly mostly a showcase for the guest character. The story unfolded in a nice enough way though and had a lot of cute moments. I'm not really finding as much to say as usual though. It was all just really pretty good and hilarious.

It's another new writer Noelle Benvenuti. I definitely am interested in seeing more from her. Would love to see more Maud too.

Oh, but what was up with Rarity's hat? That was just ludicrous....Intentional reference by a storyboarder to the FiW giant hat thing, perhaps? I dunno, I just wish this trend of giving Rarity somewhat questionable fashion choices would stop...

Ok, this episode was a bit interesting to me. It started out hilarious with Ben Stein, er, I mean, Maud Pie and her 'reactions' to everything. Somehow, her having a pet rock named Boulder makes sense to me! But after Maud saved Pinkie from the rock slide, the whole flow of this episode faded fast. If I had to give a grade to this ep, I'd go 9/10 for the first two-thirds of it, and then 2/10 for the last part. This was a good episode, but not great. Maud Pie's deadpan demeanor is what makes this episode watchable. Overall, 7/10.

For once I am completely dumbfounded by an episode of FiM. I legitimately don't know what to think about it. I've watched it twice and my mind is just blank. I need some time to think about this. I will say however that Maud has one of the best character designs ever.

Whew! Nothing like a good hot cuppa to start the morning. So with that, it's time for the usual post episode write up.

To sum up my tweet from this morning:

"Well, the guess I was made was right. Maud Pie has entered the fan favourite character ranks! A great episode!"

Again, like the Apple Bloom episode last week the story centred around a topic that is close to home in the form of siblings and family. While I didn't reach for the headphone volume switch as much, there were a few moments where the PTSD flared up and the volume went down on a few instances.

Anyway onto the episode itself and as always, the thoughts of the episode are spoilered below:

I guess the main part and highlight of this episode was the debut of Maud Pie, and what a first time appearance it was!

I was mainly impressed with her personality, hence the tweet above about becoming a fan favourite character and seeing what she can do also gave a few "wow" moments that made the episode just a little bit more special.

I mean, is it that she ate a whole rock without having any regard for their dental hygiene and at the risk of breaking a tooth or two?

Is it the ability to drill and break up rocks with their bare hooves to save your younger sister's life after setting up a Double Dare style obstacle course which went almost fatally wrong?

Is it the ability able to write such brilliant poetry and put her full literature skills to the test despite being a little on the bland side, but yet provide words of wisdom?

Is it the ability to carry around a pet rock everywhere she goes despite the risks of being picked on and bullied?

I often wonder if Cloudy Quartz (Pinkie's mother) brought her daughters up in a special way on that rock farm. I mean, what else could Maud do that Pinkie and the sisters can't do by those three things that she did? Maud really shone in a big way in this episode.

Speaking of Pinkie, she was a lot better in this episode despite the past performances this season where she copped a lot of flack for the stuff she said and did. Sure she may have made Fluttershy cry twice in Filli Vanilli, but I just put that down as a lapse of good judgement and write it off as a life experience.

Another scene that I was blown away by was seeing the tradition of the Pie family rock candy and also being demonstrated through the art of traditional paper animation was also a nice nod to the styles of the past. Although it was simple and not to the renaissance standards that the likes of the big "D" experienced during the late 80's and early to mid 1990's, this small sample of animated brilliance despite being only for a few seconds really goes to show that the DHX team isn't afraid to try new things to make the episode go the extra mile or two and to also impress the viewer.

But with all of the traditions that a family can have, there has to be a down side to it all and the one scene that is now etched into the minds of the fans came when Pinkie had her heart ripped out emotionally by the Mane 6 when they decided to be blunt about Maud.

"Ouch! That has to hurt. Poor Pinkie."

Seeing Pinkie's mane deflate (but not into full blown Pinkamena) and biting her muzzle in an effort to try and not start crying was a heartfelt moment that was translated well to the viewer. I don't know if the writers this season have an agenda to put Pinkie against the wall and try and fight through the odds, but it seems to be having an impact.

Apart from that, Maud Pie is one of those episodes that I consider a must watch and being the second of the three sibling themed episodes this season, this has set the stage for Rarity and Sweetie Belle to tell their story next week.

I also have written my full thoughts on the episode itself on my blog, which can be viewed here.

Maud made Rarity babble which was rather funny :P

And the rock eating....well maybe there is a gene or something in Pinkie's family that lets the Pie sisters do these strange and at times physically impossible things. Pinkie has her Pinkieness and Maud has her obviously super strength which is far higher then an average earth pony. Heck, Maud threw a rock father then Applejack kicked a football. Obviously Maud is stronger then normal.

The lesson for that is, don't get kicked by Maud in the stomach. You'll be in traction for a year.

This has to be one of my favorite episodes so far. (Pinkie Pride being my favorite.) I found Maud to be a very interesting and strangely adorable character. In my opinion, she'd be a blast to RP. Probably because I adore characters who behave so oddly. This episode was thoroughly entertaining and I was smiling throughout. The bond between Maud and Pinkie was also very sweet. Namely the part where Maud rushed in to save her sister. It was both touching and awesome.

Over all I think it was a great episode with a good lesson. And I loved the mane six in this one too. Especially Dashy and her super heavy cutie mark shaped rock candy necklace. XD

I can't say much about that episode, the story maybe strong, but it doesn't excite me.

Maud reminds me of Teen Titans' Raven. Yeah, grey skin and purple hair (Raven's strong purple though, not dull purple) and with the straight short hair design. Maud's emotion is pretty much like what Raven does to her teammates, talking in gloom and dullness. However, Raven shows more emotions than Maud, so unfortunately, I can't give a big rating on this episode and I decide not to reveal it. But one thing I can mention is that episode is acceptable as according to your other ratings, which I saw them they're quite high. So yes, I accept your humble ratings while mine is not. And at least it's still better than Spike at Your Service, which is my least favorite (& also the worst of ALL episodes combined) episode and same case for others who don't like it too.

Overall, it seems Maud fed gloom into herself, I can't tell I wonder if Inkie & Blinkie would behave the same till today like Maud does. In the past, it seems all of the Pie sisters do look excited and also based on Pinkie's story drawing, they're all happy and cheerful. Except when they're grown up, I wonder if they at least show more emotion or will they become just like Maud.

One thing I like, it seems Pinkie's obstacle course she built reminds me of Wipeout or Takeshi's Castle, gosh, those are the best game shows I ever seen. Good job, Pinkie, however, the rock mountain, such high risk you might as well add dirt along with it to prevent the rocks from moving and it's totally unwise to have a big one balancing on the peak.

Hmm... rock candy, huh? I bet Spike don't find them exciting, even through they're colored rocks, but it won't be tasty compare to precious minerals. But it's no harm to give those a try since his teeth can handle the hard stuff, much like Maud can almost eat any rocks. :o

There are people like Maud who exist in the world - not because they've fed gloom into themselves but because they're different. That Maud was a polar opposite of Pinkie helped this from becoming a rerun of Pinkie Pride, The moral presented is so universal in it's standing and relevance to all ages with great execution. Sometimes, you're not gonna be cool with your familiy's friends. No amount of forcing is gonna make that happen. We learn a lot of what to do in regards to friendship, but this was a great example of what not to do with it. The magic just clearly wasn't there. You need six things when it comes to friendship, but if that spark, that relatability isn't there, you're just kind of trying to force a situation that can't happen. It's not negativity, it's reality that this episode fielded, and handled just as well as Raven's character development as you said. Raven is altogether, a different kind of character at the end of the day (what with having been the portal for true evil, ergo her father) and has shown to be a vulnerable soul, capable of snark and smiles. Maud just doesn't...do those things.

But hey. She loves Pinkie Pie. And who doesn't? :D.

When did doom and gloom come up with Maud? Aside from feeling like she was unable to be friends with Pinkie's friends Maud was positive, sharing her interests such as her love of poetry and rocks as well as showing off her pet rock. She also was a good sport in engaging with the other ponies in their interests. Maud just doesn't show a lot of emotions, although we do see at the end how much she loves her sister by not only by engaging Pinkie in a traddition Pinkie cares more about then she does but because she also saves the necklaces.

My word on gloom is something she don't feed on purpose, it's just yes, Apolline said is more appropriate, she's different. Raven is also another though for she mostly express neutral emotion to keep her dark spirit inside her in check. Maud on the other hand, it's not because she is being... well... herself. I think.

I'm not a big fan of her though, but Raven is a lot more special and she's my favorite. Not because of her gloomy expression, but she's got super powers and the sexy leotard she's wearing. Yes, I like her hair too, nice styling despite short is not always my favorite on a girl.

Maud would be awesome to rp, especially if she show cased that radical speed of hers. That would send my griffon into hysterics. He wouldn't rest till he raced her to see who was faster :P

Pinkie's mane is officially to me labeled as a balloon. I think I should see if it would pop if my griffons claw poked it :P

Archived