Gallop Into Sunset (Bellosh101 & Mojo)

Bellosh

jztqd.jpg

Everywhere the visitor trotted in Appleloosa, townsponies looked up at the earth pony wondering just what was with his crazy get-up. He looked more at home in a amateur theatre production than anywhere else in Equestria, let alone a lonely settlement on the Frontier. Truth be told, such sediments weren’t off the mark; our pony of today, Barley Mayberry, should have stuck to the stage than continuing to assume the mantle of ye’ ole’ Sheriff of Trottingham. But if Barley didn’t step up to claim that ceremonial position indefinitely and use it to the good of all ponies, who would? A no-talent hack?

“Sheriff” Mayberry cantered through the main street with an intense look on his face, an expression that meant serious business. That didn’t stop everpony else from thinking Barley looked the part of a fool, but the Sheriff of Trottingham had more important business to dwell. Today marked the beginning of the end of that blasted Apple Dumpling Gang, which made the serious mistake of robbing a train right on Trottingham’s doorstep. Those hooligans would soon learn what happens that when they mess with Trottingham, they messed with the Sheriff of Trottingham... who couldn’t be played by no one else other than Barley Mayberry.

Before he could trek off into the desert on his mission, Sheriff Mayberry felt he needed to kick the lawstallion of Appleloosa into high gear. Whoever their sheriff was, they needed to get off his flank, join the hunt to find the Apple Dumpling Gang, and deliver justice onto them. To this end, he found the simple building on Main Street marked with a star and the word SHERIFF, and theatrically slammed the door wide open. “ATTENTION!” Barley made his presence known as he cleared his throat, knowing to he act like an important Sheriff of Trottingham at all times; “I do believe that the sheriff of this fine town is on the premises, is he not?”

SilverStar.PNGSheriff Silverstar

At that moment, Sheriff Silverstar sat behind his desk in his office, sewing one of his spare vest with a needle and thread.

"I'd be mighty embarrassed ta ask Miss Louise LaMare ta do this task fer me, so I'm gonna do it mahself!"

As the mustached lawpony brought the needle downward to finish another stitch, Sheriff Barley Mayberry burst in, causing the startled Silverstar to suddenly look upward and then jab his right foreleg with the needle.

"YYYYEEEEEEOOOOOOOWWWWWWWW!"

Sheriff Silverstar leapt from his chair and held his injured foreleg with his other foreleg before giving the newcomer an angry look.

"Don't go around bargin' in on ponies like that, stranger! Even out here in the Pioneer West, it's mannerly ta knock on a door first before enterin'." Sheriff Silverstar neighed as he quickly settled himself down. "Surry bout that, but ya nearly scared the fur offin' mah hide! I'm Sheriff Silverstar of Appleoosa. what kin I do fer ya?"

jztqd.jpg

Seemingly oblivious to the injury his spectacular entrance caused, Barley Mayberry did not think to apologize for the inconvenience. But when asked about his name and business, the stallion happily obliged Silverstar’s request. “My name’s Barley Mayberry,” he paused for a few moments, thinking that adding lengthy pauses between certain phrases would increase the gravitas of his introduction; “And I am.. . the SHERIFF of Trottingham. Entrusted, BY the PEO-ple, with IMMENSE POWER.”

Confident by now that Silverstar believed the other sheriff to be a Very Important Pony(™), Barley Mayberry further explained; “I do believe you are familiar with the shenanigans of a group of troublemakers calling themselves the Apple Dumpling Gang, or am I mistaken?”

Quickly wrapping his injured hoof up in bandages, Sheriff Silverstar then turned his attention back to the newcomer.

"Well Barley, I've heared tell of the Apple Dumplin' Gang. Them hombres were seen in Dodge Junction last week. Never made it ta Appleoosa yet, as fer as I know." the mustached lawpony said as he reached into his desk and pulled out several posters. "The law over thar in Dodge Junction sent me these Wanted Posters ta put up all over town. Chances are, them varmints will mosey up this way sooner or later. Bet yur all tuckered out after yur long trip here. Where are ya plannin' ta stay, Barley? Madam Bistro's Hotel has the nicest rooms in town, and she serves up a mighty fine cup o' coffee too!"

Sheriff Silverstar gave one of the posters to Barley to look at.

jztqd.jpg

Barely Mayberry didn’t pay Sheriff Silverstar much mind as he read one of the wanted posters. First, Barely had a look at the black-and-white picture on the piece of paper. It was the face of a pretty nasty-looking fellow; cruel eyes, stubble for a beard, a boss of the plains hat, and a prerequisite bandana. This stallion looked like the sort who wouldn’t be apprehended quietly, but what was that to stop the Sheriff of Trottingham? Barley then looked at the text surrounding the outlaw’s “mugshot”:

WANTED

FOR TRAIN ROBBERY

BUCK E. BANES

LEADER OF APPLE DUMPLING GANG

500 BIT REWARD

That bottom line perked Sheriff Mayberry’s interest. If there was one thing in the world that could get him to drop his pretentious act, it was the allure of quick money. Putting two and two together, Barley ran up to Silverstar and shoved the poster of Buck E. Banes in his face like a bright-eyed schoolchild; “Hey, do you realize if I got this entire gang behind bars, I could potentially have a THOUSAND Equestrian gold wheel-thingamabobs in my hooves!

“I can’t afford to waste time sleeping in some hotel,” Barley defiantly claimed, battling a long tired yawn and eyelids that wanted to close tight; “I... I gotta catch those varmints before somepony else does.....

Though Sheriff Silverstar admired the newcomer's enthusiasm, it was clear that this fancy dressed dude was a real greenhorn when it came to tracking down criminal type ponies.

"Now hold yur horses, young feller," the mustached stallion neighed. "Can't jist trot around in the wilderness without a single clue as ta whar the Gang's hidin' out! That'd be a waste of time an' effort. Let's check around town an' see what we kin find out about the Gang's whereabouts first. The best source of this kind of information are the ponies that hang around the Salt Block, our local waterin' hole. Why are ya so all fire anxious ta rush out like this? Thar's more ta life than jist havin' a big pile of bits, Barley. As a fellow Sheriff, you ought know that. If'n ya wanna git started, then come with me to the Salt Block and we'll see what we kin dig up, ok?"

Sheriff Silverstar hopes that common sense will prevail and Barley Mayberry will take his lead. Otherwise, this was going to be a LONG afternoon.....

jztqd.jpg

For what seemed to be the longest of time, Barley Mayberry tilted his head as if he was busy with deep thinking. Once he finished considering the words of his counterpart, Barley was ready to decide on an immediate course of action. “I-I think I need to get a salt lick myself,” the Trottingham pony awkwardly rationalized, “Had a long train ride over... you know.

“Well Sheriff Silverstar, we better get a move on to the Salt Block. I can’t get enforce the law and get rich without finding the Apple Dumpling, and I can’t do that without getting a salt lick first!” Without waiting for his counterpart to get ready, Barely headed out the door.. . and proceeded to trot in the wrong direction towards their first destination.

"Yeah, right you are thar Barley," Sheriff Silverstar said, tilting his head ackwardly as he watched the dapper earth stallion trot off into the street. "Er Barley, the Salt Block's over HERE, in the opposite direction yur trottin' now."

Once he got his new friend turned around in the correct direction, the mustached lawpony led him into the Salt Block. The usual crowd was all there, Morton the bartender was serving up salt and water to the many ponies at the bar. There were a number of card games going on in the large room. Suddenly, the silence of the room was broken by a pony who slammed his cards down on a table and shouted "GIN!" to which another pony at the table shouted back, "but we're playin' GO FISH!"

Being careful to observe all of the ponies in the room, Sheriff Silverstar watched as he whispered back to Barley.

"So far, ain't seen none of mah regular informants here yet. If'n we stay here a while, maybe one of'm will drop by. Act casual and foller me to the bar," the Sheriff said as he walked over to Morton. "Hay thar Morton, how about set'm me and mah pal up with some salt and water, I'm buyin'!"

jztqd.jpg

This Salt Block place that Silverstar led the self-appointed Sheriff of Trottingham to was cozier than the visitor had expected. Barley found it look remarkably similar to a public house in his own town, except for a warmer, perhaps dirtier look. Oh, and that sweet looking piano off in the corner too, left alone as the two lawponies walked inside the saloon.

Informed that nothing could be done yet, Mr. Mayberry shrugged as he joined his counterpart at the counter. And since they had to play the waiting game, Barley thought to indulge himself in the unique flavor of Equestria’s Wild West. “Say there good fellow,” the Trottingham pony boldly requested; “I’d like one of them giant 60 ounce water mugs. Might as well go big if I’m here!” And best of all, Silverstar was paying for the drinks.....

Morton gave a rather disbelieving look to the stallion dandy requesting a tall order of water. But when Sheriff Silverstar gave an approving nod, the stallion bartender reached for a lagre glass, filled it with water and sat it in front of Barley. The mustached lawpony received his drink, but kept a sharp eye out for any of his known informants to walk in. Moments later, Sheriff Silverstar spotted a few familiar stallions who sat together at a table when they walked in.

"Parden me a moment thar, Barley," the Sheriff said as he walked over to their table. After a few minutes of conversation, the mustached stallion returned to the bar.

"Them hombres heard tell that the Apple Dumplin' Gang was hidin' out near Saddleback Gulch. Could be they're holed up in one of the cabins up that way. Looks like we got our first solid lead! So Barley, are ya ready for a dangerous journey inta hustle territory?"

• 2 weeks later...

jztqd.jpg

For a few minutes, Barely Mayberry was left alone to stare at his massive mug of water. Now that he saw it up close, the mug looked bigger than the Sheriff of Trottingham imagined. In fact, it looked rather intimidating to Barley. Not sure whether he could finish it all or not, the stallion only took tentative sips during these next few moments.

When Sheriff Silverstar returned, he had a name of the first location to stake out. Thing was, Barley didn’t feel like heading out yet when he still had an unfinished water mug to take care of first. A mug that his Appleloosa counterpart paid for, by the way. “You wouldn’t mind if I finished my water first, would ya?” Barley asked, taking another small sip of water. At this rate, it’d be a hour before he finished the entire thing.

"No, go right ahead thar, Barley," Sheriff Silverstar said, rolling his eyes before turning back towards the bar. "Maybe we could use us a possy if'n we're serious about goin' after the Apple Dumplin' Gang. After all, thar's more of them than thar is of us, judgin' the sheer numbers I mean. I'm sure I could find some volunteers fer the journey, and don't worry none, they'll do it as a favor ta me an' won't be takin' any of yur share of the Reward money. What do ya say, Barley?"

As the mustached lawpony waited for a response, two of the Sheriff's good friends just entered the Salt Block.

jztqd.jpg

"Hold that thought," during the time that it took to take another agonizingly-long sip from the water jug, Barley Mayberry give his counterpart's suggestion some needed consideration. "A possy huh? That's some good thinking, Silverstar. I can see why you're the Sheriff around here." Invigorated, the Sheriff of Trottingham let his vivid imagination dream of exciting possibilities; "So who you've got in mind for our possy? A gang of dirtslingers even more fearsome that that Apple Dumpling Gang? HAHA, we'll show them for sure!" Barley dreamed up of an entire team of grim-faced stallions backing up the two sheriffs, stallions so nasty that even Buck E. Banes would shake in those sorry boots of his. This was going to be a cakewalk!

"I'm happy ta hear ya say that, Barley, cause here comes a few of mah friends now!" Sheriff Silverstar neighed, waving a hoof in the air to summon his two friends to join them at the bar. Walking over were a gray pelted, red maned unicorn stallion with a medical cutie mark who was with a brown pelted Pegasus mare:

kVfbss.jpgDoc Holly Day

lgcFVs.jpgLouise LaMare

"Barley, I want ya ta meet Doc Holly Day, our town's physician, and Louise LaMare, famous Pioneer Pony Days novelist. Doc, Miss LaMare, this here's Sheriff Barley Mayberry, he's a lawpony from back East an' has come here ta look fer the Apple Dumplin' Gang! Y'all wanna lend us a hoof in capturin' this band of desperados?"

"I'm in, Sheriff!" the red mustached unicorn neighed. "Pleased ta meetcha, Barley!"

"Sounds exciting!" Lousie neighed, "Barley Mayberry, I've heard that name before, welcome to Appleoosa!"

jztqd.jpg

A doctor... and a writer. Those were the ponies Silverstar counted on to help out? No Calamity Mane or Wild Bull Hickok? No rough and tumble cowboys to toughen up the posse? Not even at least one properly trained stage actor who could pretend to be a no-nonsense vigilante? Barley Mayberry’s hopes sank to the bottom of a pile of quicksand, and he had to usher his counterpart out of the cantina with an; “Excuse us, can I talk alone with the sheriff outside for one minute?”

Once out of the Salt Block, a concerned Barley quietly spoke his mind to the other Sheriff; “You really think we should deputize those two? I was well... errrr... hoping for ponies more uhhhh... rough around the edges. You know, somepony you can count on in a fight!” The Sheriff of Trottingham vividly gave the air a punch as a demonstration, trying to get his point across. If only he remembered that he was just as theoretically unqualified to enforce the law as Doc Holly Day and Louise LaMare were, if not even more so.

Sheriff Silverstar was taken aside by Barley, who then expressed his doubts about his companions.

"Look Barley," the mustached lawpony said in a stern voice, "I've known these two particular ponies fer a long time. They kin handle themselves well in crisis. Doc Holly Day's a graduate of Princess Celestia's School fer Gifted Unicorns, so his magic powers will come in mighty handy out on the prairie! And as fer Miss LaMare, she's as tough as nails and kin gives us the ability fer high altitude lookout! Don't ya wurry none about mah pals, they've been with me before on Posse duty. They're the best we have on such short notice, so if'n ya wanna back out now, jist say so. Otherwise, Doc and Miss LaMare are comin' with us! Got it?"

jztqd.jpg

As much as Barley Mayberry was initially disappointed with the selection of the posse members, his Appleloosa counterpart vouched for their character pretty hard. With Silverstar’s defense in mind, the other sheriff sighed as he expressed his willingness to relent. “All right then; I suppose they’ll do in a pinch. But before we go... can I take my order of water to go?” Barley had a good feeling that he'd have to sip his mug for an entire hour if he had to drink it all at the Salt Block.

"Go ahead an' git it, Barley," Sheriff Silverstar said, rolling his eyes as he walked over to the others.

"How soon will we be ready to go?" Louise LaMare asked.

"Yeah Sheriff, when will all of us be hittin' the ol' dusty trail?" Doc Holly Day asked.

"Soon as Barley gits his drink ta go," the mustached lawpony said. "then we'll be leavin'."

"Ok Sheriff, we'll we waiting outside," the brown Pegasus mare said as she and the Doc walked out.

"C'mon Barley! We need ta git a move on now!"

o594yu.jpg

“Alright, alright; hold yer horses!” Out the saloon door came Barley Mayberry, a giant canteen just barely fitting into his coat pocket. The sun by now was way off to the west, meaning that the posse at best only had two hours of daylight light before darkness fell upon the Painted Pinto Desert. But before they set off, Barely took time to greet his new partners. “It’s a pleasure to make your acquaintances,” he tipped his hat to Louise LaMare; Especially yours m'lady; I’m quite the appreciator of your novels. My name’s Barley Mayberry: Sheriff... of Trottingham... as my ever-so distinguished colleague already reminded you. As solemnly delegated sheriffs' deputies, it will be your responsibility to serve as champions of the law at all times. So make Trottingham PROUD....." An awkward pause, for Barely forgot something; "Oh, and uhhh Appleloosa too, right.....”

With the introductions taken care of, now their stallionhunt could begin in earnest; “Alright Silverstar, you know the lay of the land. Lead the way!!!”

"Thank you, Sheriff Barley," Louise LaMare said in reply, "AH! Now I remember where I first heard your name! I was at a book signing in Trottingham, many years ago. As I recall, you were only a deputy back then. Weren't you the one who gave my taxi driver a ticket for blocking traffic when it stopped by the bookstore to let me out?"

"When he what?" Doc Holly Day asked before Sheriff Silverstar lifted his right forehoof in the air.

"We kin talk about all that later. Ain't much daylight left, so if'n we're gonna set out inta the wilderness, we need ta giddy up an' git movin'. I got an' old cabin about two hours away from here to the east. If'n we hurry, we kin make camp thar before sundown. If we're all packed an' ready, let's move out!"

Sheriff Silverstar led the group out of town. Doc Holly Day walked next to Barley while Louise took to the air and hovered above them.

o594yu.jpg

Barley Mayberry cursed himself for not choosing to go after the Apple Dumplin’ Gang during a cooler time of the year. Out away from town, nothing distracted stallion from feeling the irritating effects of sunlight. Nearly an entire day passed by meant plenty of time for the scorching desert temperatures to rise up to maximum levels. Only one hour had passed for Barely to use up a quarter of his canteen. At least that giant hat of his gave the stallion some measure of shade, if not by much.

If the Sheriff of Trottingham hadn’t been wishing how he wasn't burning up, he would have paid more attention to the beauty of a late-afternoon in the Painted Pinto Desert. Everything, from the mesas to the saguaro cacti, was bathed in earthly glows of red. But no, Barley was too busy worrying about other matters; “How much longer is it to the dang cabin? My canteen’s about half gone by now!”

"We ain't too fer from it, Barley, don't go frettin' none," Sheriff Silverstar said sternly before the Earth stallion looked up at the airborne mare. "Hay Miss LaMare! Whatcha see up thar? Should be able ta spot mah cabin now."

"Yes, yes I can see it and.. YIPE!" the brown Pegasus mare yipped before quickly descending to the ground for a quick landing.

"What's the matter, Miss LaMare?" Doc Holly Day asked.

"There's already a group of ponies at the cabin, Sheriff," a surprised Louise LaMare said.

"Thar is? Ain't nopony should be stayin' at mah cabin! That's mighty peculiar."

"Let's see if I kin git us a better look," Doc Holly Day said as his horn glowed, producing a portal 'window' that gave the entire group a direct look at the cabin.

"Well I'll be dogged! Lookie thar, Barley! It's the Apple Dumplin' Gang! Don't ya recognize them outlaws from yur poster?"

o594yu.jpg

Louise LaMare acted very strangely, diving down to the ground. Barely Mayberry understood why she did so when he clearly saw that the Apple Dumplin’ Gang currently occupied the cabin. Things... just got really interesting now. And terribly convenient too; “Well sheriff heh heh, I guess we won’t have to wander all over the desert after all. How polite of those gentecolts to make camp at the one place we were going to stay at.”

The meaning of those words sunk in after a few seconds; “W-wait, where are we going to spend the night?” Not terribly concerned with keeping himself concealed, Barley worriedly tugged at Silverstar’s vest; “We’re not going to have to sleep on the ground, will we? My jacket won’t be able to tolerate all that dirt!”

"We ain't gonna sleep out here, Barley," Sheriff Silverstar said, "cause we're gonna wait till them hombres go ta sleep an' then we kin catch'm real easy."

"Good plan, Sheriff," Doc Holly Day said in a hushed tone as the magic portal disappeared. "Less violence, more surprise since they outnumber us."

"Sounds good to me too," added Louise LaMare as she turned towards Barley. "What do you think, Barley?"

"Yeah Barley, if'n this here plan's gonna work, we're gonna need all four of us ta do our part, got that, Barley?"

o594yu.jpg

"Sure I got that," Barley apprehensively replied; "We wait til they all go to sleep, and then we go get em'. Seems simple enough." Only now though did the Sheriff of Trottinghman realize something he should have thought about ever since he started his crusade versus the Apple Dumplin' Gang. "So....... how do we go about capturing them all? Can we expect them to stay kindly put once we've surrounded the cabin?" Curses;; Barley now regretted never bothering to purchase a pair of hoofcuffs. It always seemed like back in Trottingham, Mr. Mayberry never had use for such things. But now how here in the Painted Pinto Desert, they could have come quite in handy.....

Archived