A New Face in Town [Private]

Needlemouse

hq0y.png

Music:

The blue hedgehog strolled along, leisurely taking in the sights ahead and around him as he passed down the path leading from the mountain ranges of the city of Canterlot, and into the small woodland areas below. Beyond those trees there awaited a town, he'd spotted from up high; small and quaint from the looks of it - it even looked like there was an apple farm further away! The idea of snagging a few of those apples brought a sly grin to his face, and he briefly raised his stroll to a light jog. While he could easily zip through here, it was rare to find oneself in a place so lush and full of natural splendor compared to back in his own world - and the opportunity to just take it all in without worrying about a certain egghead ruining the fun was even rarer still!

For a moment, he wondered what that old fat coot was up to, back in his own world. Ever since that mess back at the amusement park, he'd been stuck here, in this strange place where it seemed that everyone was a pony - though he'd heard stories about griffons as well. And everywhere he went, he got the same odd looks. Who'd have figured that a bunch of pastel colored equines would be weirded out by a hedgehog of all things? But he wasn't one to let that get him down. Especially not with such a great atmosphere like where he was now!

"Man, what a peaceful place," he sighed pleasantly, slowing down again as he tilted his head side to side and drew his back into an arch, stretching and working out the laziness in his muscles. A fellow could fall asleep here, sure enough, with how relaxed the atmosphere could get! With that in mind he resumed his jogging pace, grinning pleasantly as he went about enjoying the sights and sounds of the forest before passing through and into the open once more. The town of Ponyville just a short while away now, and with it... new things to see and to do! The sun was rising in its hot, afternoon place, promising another bright day ahead.

RainbowDashthingforFF_zpse1dda7f9.png

"Just a little further..." Rainbow Dash grit her teeth and pushed herself up into the sky. The air was quite a bit colder up this high and she had to flap her wings with all the strength she could muster. "Just a few more feet..." puff. She managed to burst through a set of clouds that was so far up in the sky they could hardly be seen from the ground below.

"The great Rainbow Dash, Captain of the Wonderbolts is ready to preform her mind bending stunt! Everypony hold your breath..." The sky blue pegasus was in her own make believe world. "AAaaaand, GO!" With one last shout she barreled from the clouds towards the ground at an incredible speed. She swooped this way and that, preforming rolls and tumbles, a rainbow streak in the sky. Soon she was back down at tree height and rocketing over the Everfree.

"And the crowd goes wild!" Rainbow stretched her hooves out in front of herself and ducked down into the forest. Here she was able to preform so epic moves, dodging trees and branches. Then she swooped out over the trail that meandered next to the woods. Up ahead of her was a blue creature. She wasn't at all sure who or what it was.

"Only one way to find out!" She flapped her wings forward and zoomed over the top of Sonic's head. "Hey there!" She spoke fast as she went over head. "Haven't seen you around here before."

hq0y.png

The blue-spined traveller would come to an abrupt halt as the sky blue pegasus all but swooped around in ahead of him. He'd certainly look strange and foreign - not at all like anything any pony, pegasus or otherwise, would have ever seen or spoken of, with his long legs and red-white running shoes, and that spiky hairstyle to his quills. Definitely the kind of strange-looking thing that someone would remember seeing or hearing about, that's for sure! He raised an eyebrow, and tilted his head up to look at the winged, rainbow-maned girl.

"Well, that makes two of us. Never seen you, or around here, either!" He'd grin, and lean his weight on one leg, bringing a gloved hand to rest on his hip as he stood and watched the flyer curiously. He'd seen a lot of ponies back in Canterlot, for sure, with all manner of bright colors, but rainbow hair was certainly a new thing, even back where he came from. Seeing her still flying onward, he began walking at a light-footed pace, still looking up in the pegasus' direction. "So, you're from around these parts, huh?" he'd ask as he walked.

"So, you're from around these parts, huh?"

Rainbow turned her head, seeing the blue spiked creature keep up with her flight with ease. She wasn't really going fast anymore, but still at a speed that most ponies would have to do a trot to keep up with. This guy just seemed to float along at a walk. Interesting. Rainbow was always intrigued with speed, and this guy seemed like a quick one indeed.

"Yep, I'm from Cloudsdale really." She motioned her chin upwards towards the cloud city. "But I spend a lot of time right here in Ponyville. Well, right near here anyway. Ponyville's still up ahead there."

She did a quick loop in the air, taking another look at the blue creature. She could have sworn she had seen Fluttershy hanging out with an animal that looked sort of like him before.

"The name's Rainbow Dash. What's yours?" Why not be friendly? He seemed like a nice enough guy.

His light-footed pace would keep steady, allowing the pegasus to stay ahead while he walked, less walking quickly and more just strolling with light, quick steps that propelled him a little further than usual. It was a small change, but it went a long way to keeping up with the rainbow-haired girl. His grin widened as he listened and followed along.

As she'd point to the cloud city up beyond he'd whistle in an impressed fashion. At first he'd figured it was just some kind of display, or enchanted ruin - after all, he'd seen his fair share of floating venues, but none of them had people living there!

As they carried on, watching her minor aerial acrobatics as she'd loop around reminded him fondly of his little buddy back home. Well, making new friends was hardly a difficult thing for him to do at any given moment. He'd been looked at funny in that Canterlot place, but even there he'd made a few friends.

Better still, this girl didn't seem in the least bit weirded out by his appearance. He'd snap his fingers and flash a confident grin her way, boldly proclaiming "I'm Sonic. Sonic the Hedgehog! Nice to meetcha," before he'd look back down the road towards his destination and pondered for a moment.

"Clousdale, and Ponyville, huh?" He'd finally nod, hands on his hips while he watched her go, "Sounds pretty sweet! You must be pretty fast to make it back and forth from those places, too." He'd acknowledge, emerald eyes turning from her and to the city in the sky, and then back to the town below. Sure, the distance was in height rather than length, but it was still a pretty long way to go, for the average flyer, he figured.

"I'm Sonic. Sonic the Hedgehog! Nice to meetcha,"

Sonic the...hedgehog! Yes, that was, a hedgehog! No wonder this guy seemed slightly familiar! Rainbow had seen hedgehogs before but never any that walked on two legs and had blue spikes. Yep, this guy seemed fairly cool so far!

"Sounds pretty sweet! You must be pretty fast to make it back and forth from those places, too."

"Pretty fast?" She eyed the hedgehog with raised eyebrows. Obviously he was new around here if he was going to call her, Rainbow Dash, pretty fast! She flashed him a slim smile and then took off like a bullet! Rainbow raced through the air, ascending at an incredible speed until she plowed through a small bank of clouds and then flipped to descend.

I think I'm a little quicker than...pretty fast!" She flicked back her mane and snorted softly. "How about you Sonic? You seem mildly speedy yourself. Let's see what you've got!" She hovered for a moment, wondering if Sonic might take her up on the friendly challenge.

He'd whistle again, coming to a stop as he watched the sky-blue speedster zip around the skies, zooming to and fro before coming to a stop once more. Not bad at all, he mused inwardly, grinning in a cocky manner at the challenge, "Mildly speedy?" he repeated with a glib look in his eye, reaching his hand up and poking his little finger into his ear and wiggling it about as if to be sure that he'd heard her right, "Well, I don't usually make a habit out of showin' off."

That statement, of course, was a total lie - but it wasn't one that he was going to admit to, if he was even aware of it himself!

He stretched a few times, bending his knees and turning at the hip left and right, "Hmm, so, how far should I.." he mused aloud, looking out at the road ahead of them. The town of Ponyville wasn't far off, and the apple farm was a good deal farther still. He grinned toothily and snapped his fingers, "Alright, I got it!" His emerald green eyes flashed with bravado as he dug his heels into the dirt,

"See you--" and then was gone! A burst of air and a low 'woosh!!' roared out mere seconds after he vanished, and a trail of blue sped down the road, through the town, to the farm, and then U-turned its way back.

"--in a tick!" he finished, reappearing as he skid to a halt in a cloud of kicked up dirt and dust. Less than ten seconds having passed and he'd made the trip back and forth, holding his trophies to show his conquest: a pair of apples snagged fresh from the branches. He juggled the fruit with a sly expression, looking to the pegasus, "So, how did I do?" Not one to show off indeed!

"So, how did I do?"

Rainbow's mouth dropped open at this hedgehog's incredible speed. She hadn't seen anything move so fast in a really long time! Sure, she could move fast, but it took a lot to impress RD with speed!

"How did you do?" She stopped flying forward and hovered in the air. "How did you do? That...was...awesome!" Rainbow was certainly impressed.

"Oh man, you're like the fastest thing I've ever seen on the ground. Sure, I'm the fastest in the air... but wow, I've never seen anypony move lie you!"

She studied Sonic, watching his easy gait, the way he moved. A real athlete to the core! Maybe this guy would make a good friend.

"So, what are you up to today Sonic?" Rainbow flapped her wings to keep herself alongside the hedgehog.

The blue hedgehog would simply grin from ear to ear at the reaction, seeming to bask in it as only one who was used to hearing such words was likely to do. He'd stand confident, with that leaning posture again, as one hand rested on his hip and the other, holding the pair of freshly-plucked, red apples in the other.

"Ain't nothin' to it!" he quipped and started juggling the fruit casually, tossing one apple into the air, and then the second one right after it, just in time to free his hand to catch the first one again. Casting a glance over to his side as the pegasus positioned herself to move in tandem with him, he began to stroll once more.

"I'm just sightsteein'. After all, there's a whole lotta places that I ain't ever seen, that town.." he'd point towards Ponyville, and then up towards Cloudsdale as well, "..and that one alike!" He'd grin at that, catching one apple and taking a bite out of the juicy treat.

"How about you, Rainbow? Since you're from around here, you probably know all kindsa things to get up to, right?" he'd ask, offering the other apple with a smile.

How about you, Rainbow? Since you're from around here, you probably know all kindsa things to get up to, right?

"Oh you know, I get up to my fair share of adventures around here. Ponyville can get kinda dull, aside from my friends there of course. I mean there is a fun place to swim there, and some good places to eat but that's about it." She glanced up to Cloudsdale. "I'd show you around Cloudsdale but it might be kinda tricky for you... ever stood on clouds before?" She wondered honestly if he could. The way he walked and the way he was able to move himself... who knew, maybe he could stand on clouds like a pegasus.

She looked at the apple and then gave a grin to her new friend. "Hey thanks Sonic! Maybe you and I can have some fun together today!" She spoke earnestly, excited to have a friend to explore with.

While the winged pony spoke, he took another bite out of his apple, munching on it as he savored the sweet, juicy taste and texture of the red fruit gladly. This place had everything, it seemed, candied goods, fresh fruit, splendid sights and all.. though he could really go for a burger somewhere around now, he mused, staring at the half-eaten apple thoughtfully.

Well, no point in worrying about it! If he'd get so lucky as to run into a burger or a chili dog or maybe even a pepperoni pizza, all of those would be pretty dang sweet! But he wasn't going to make a fuss about it, all the same. Chomping into the apple greedily, he'd clean the thing off until there was just the core and some remaining apple on it.

At the invitation of fun, he'd turn his green eyes back to the pegasus, "Fhure! Shoumsh fhum!" he'd spout with his mouth full, causing spittled bits of apple to spray in doing so.

"Fhure! Shoumsh fhum!"

Rainbow flicked a bit of apple from her hoof and raised her eyebrow at the hedgehog. Looks like he enjoyed apples as much as she did.

"Great! Well, there's some awesome places in Cloudsdale if you wanna come on up?" She cast a glance upwards, wondering how he would manage the trip.

There were lots of clouds on the way up. Perhaps he could bounce in between them or something? Or perhaps...

"Are you gonna find your own way up there or would you like a lift?" She nodded to her back. Dash didn't usually offer rides to anypony, but this was not a pony. It could be fun and she could show him a lot more sights that way since he couldn't fly.

"Of course if you can manage on your own that's fine too!" She flapped where she was for a moment, wondering what he would decide on.

• 6 months later...
"Hmm," the hedgehog brought a hand to his chin, his brow raised as he leaned forward to eye the rainbow pegasus curiously. He wasn't exactly incapable of making his way all the way up to that Cloudsdale place she was so intent on visiting.. but if she was right, and it was all the way up there in the clouds, then it would probably be pretty tricky to pull off solo! Besides, there wasn't any need to go showing off on that front, when he could simply accept a helpful offer and enjoy a fresh, new experience. After all, how often did you get to ride a pegasus? His expression turning to a cheerful grin, he removed his hand from his chin and instead snapped his fingers, winking at the pony, "Sure! I'm all for the scenic approach!"

He paused a moment at that and tilted his head, both brows raising in curiousity and his arms crossed in thoughtful pose, "..so, uh.. what, I just sit on ya?" he'd muse aloud, pondering if it'd look a little funny for him to just hop on her back like that.

Archived