Soft Paw [Ready]

Smartbrony

Roleplay Type: Canterlot Chronicles

Name: Soft Paw

Sex: Male

Species: Diamond Dog

Eye color: Deep Blue

Character Color: Short hair, mostly cream colored with oval patches of brown. One patch covers the top right of his head, from the right side of his nose to the right back of his neck. Another patch covers the left of his chest, under his arm. A final patch of brown is a small circle on his right foot. His fur is soft to the touch.

Mane/Tail/Other: He wears a watermelon tourmaline jewel on a thick leather cord around his neck, the jewel in the shape of a leaf, so that it appears the leaf is burning. Also, when he's running the curiosity shop, he wears a green apron.

Physique: He stands about as tall as a full grown pony, but is skinnier than most Diamond Dogs. He has a short, rounded muzzle, as well as rounded ears. He has a tail similar to that of a Golden Retriever's, but less furry.

Residence: Canterlot

Occupation: He runs a curiosity shop owned by Golden Compass, every now and then being invited to join Golden Compass on a journey.

Cutie Mark: Not applicable.

Unique Traits: He has the uncanny ability to discern unusual objects from something somepony picked up at the Crystal Empire Souvenir Shop.

History: Soft Paw was born to Fang and Muffy in a small forest pack of 17 Diamond Dogs. His father had wanted to name him something more ferocious, but his mother won the fight. He grew up learning all of the skills every Diamond Dog learns; hunting, mining, and rudimentary crafting. However, his natural clumsiness continuously got him in trouble with the pack Alpha. One day, he managed to accidentally bury half of the food supply in a cave in. After that, the Alpha had no choice but to banish him from the pack. His parents didn't want to see him go, but there was nothing they could do, the word of the Alpha was law. Soft Paw's mother, Muffy, gave him a reminder of home. It was a watermelon tourmaline gemstone cut in the shape of a leaf, hung around his neck by a thick cord. After his mother gave him a kiss on his forehead, he ventured into the woods alone. Soft Paw tried to survive on his own, but his clumsiness made it impossible for him to catch any game. He was left to foraging as his only means for finding food, but he wasn't having any luck with that either. On the third night, as if things weren't bad enough already, it began to rain. The only nearby shelter he was able to find was a hollowed out log next to a dirt path. Not an ideal shelter, but it was the best he could do. Soft Paw took off his gemstone necklace and held it in his paw, staring at it as he lay there. The way it was cut made it seem as though the leaf was on fire, as if to remind Soft Paw that the life he had was gone. As he drifted off to sleep, the fire of the leaf seemed to be dancing. Just an illusion, but it was strangely peaceful.

When Soft Paw woke up, he was in the back of a wagon surrounded by all kinds of strange goods. He opened his paw to find he was clutching his gemstone tightly. He put it back around his neck and rolled over to get a better look at his surroundings, and gave out a yelp at the sight of a creepy mask laying right next to him. At this, the wagon stopped moving. Soft Paw tried to hide in the shadows behind some of the objects, but before he could do so the rear flap opened up, and a shadowy figure spoke to him.

"Well, you're finally up," it said in a rough yet friendly voice.

"Please don't hurt me," Soft Paw squeaked out.

"Now why would I do that?" The creature replied, sounding appalled by the very idea. As Soft Paw's eyes adjusted to the light streaming in, he saw dandelion colored pony standing before him. A pony? A pony!? He had heard a lot of things about how vicious and demanding ponies were, so he wondered about this one. "You look hungry. Do you want something to eat?"

That was how Soft Paw met Golden Compass, who would be his mentor and guardian as he lived among the ponies, aspiring to be a trader and adventurer just like his savior.

Character Personality: Soft Paw is, as already established, a very clumsy dog, but he is also has a kind heart. He also seems to have a knack for picking out strange and unusual things, which is why Golden Compass trusts Soft Pawn to run the curiosity shop. Doing so, Soft Paw spends most of his time buying and selling strange, unusual, and wacky objects. This also gives Soft Paw a chance to learn how ponies behave, so that he may better fit into their society. He is shy, but this does not stop him from going out into the city to pick up supplies, nor does it stop him from getting out of the city every now and then to enjoy the fresh air. He doesn't really have many friends, most ponies he knows he considers to be acquaintances. Soft Paw tries his best to not stick out like a sore thumb among the ponyfolk, but he can't really help it. Luckily for Soft Paw, while he's clumsy on two legs, he is quite stable on all four.

However, while it may seem noble to attempt to fit in, Soft Paw takes fitting in almost as an obsession. He dislikes standing on two legs in front of ponies, and try as he might he can't help but use his aposable thumbs. Golden Compass has told him repeatedly that he shouldn't worry about such trivial things, and Soft Paw will listen, and remember, for about a week or so. Soft Paw respects Golden Compass' guidance enough to obey, but he just can't help himself. He's always thought about asking somepony to teach him, but he's too shy to ask anyone other than Golden Compass. Besides, they'd probably just say no anyways.

Character Summary: Soft Paw is a clumsy dog trying to fit in among ponykind, and runs a curiosity shop for his savior Golden Compass.

Thank you for your patience. I'm going to have to rule that for World of Equestria, banishment is a no-go. To keep true to the show, we want OC backstories to be clear of angst, past tragedies, and anything else along those lines. However, we permit those sorts of things with Canterlot Chronicles, and I'd advise to switch your diamond dog's RP type over to there. Assuming you'd rather keep the history of your OC the same, I think this app has what it takes to be accepted into CC. :)

Okay, thank you Bellosh for your time. I know you guys have a lot of applications to sift though, so I don't really mind the wait. Would you be able to move it over there for me, along with my Golden Compass WiP?

Okay, thank you Bellosh for your time. I know you guys have a lot of applications to sift though, so I don't really mind the wait. Would you be able to move it over there for me, along with my Golden Compass WiP?

Bellosh would not be able to help with that, but if you report the threads with that request, a moderator or admin would be able to help you.

Alrighty, the RPH team had a chat about this app, and we wonder how it would be possible for your OC to pass as a pony if the physiology of a diamond dog is so fundamentally different (teeth, paws, eyes, ect). If you can adequately explain in your app how your OC accomplishes this, we'll let Soft Paw attempt to pass for a pony. If not, you probably should modify this aspect of your OC into something more achievable, like adopting pony mannerisms without hiding his true species.

Alright, I've made some adjustments and added some details, I'm just not sure if it'll meet your standards yet. :)

I set it up so that other RPers will be able to know that my character's a Diamond Dog, while most NPCs and what-have-you won't be able to tell, if that makes any sense.

And I'm back. Among RPH, consensus is that your latest edit is too-godmoddy. No users are allowed to dictate in apps how other characters perceive your OC. Plus it's too unrealistic to assume that a disguise can work just because of a popular fandom-generated stereotype (only about two or so ponies total in the show actually bother walking around Canterlot with necks held up high on a 24/7 basis). Since it doesn't seem like passing as a pony won't be able to work for a diamond dog without running into issues, you're probably better off having Soft Paw not bother with hiding his identity. Honestly, changelings are a million times better if you want a pretend pony.

Okay. So, are Diamond Dogs able to be found among ponykind simply then? I guess the reason I went to so much trouble is because the two species don't really seem to interact often, if at all.

Okay. So, are Diamond Dogs able to be found among ponykind simply then? I guess the reason I went to so much trouble is because the two species don't really seem to interact often, if at all.

They were in one episode, with a sample too small to make any broad generalizations about them. We could have easily done the same to griffons as all we knew was Gilda until we saw Gustav in MMMystery on the friendship express. It is simply unfair to assume that all diamond dogs are like that.

Also it is important to remember that show canon is not 100% WoE canon

Archived