Official Discussion Thread - S04E22 Trade Ya

It is that time of the week again when we all huddle around our computers and televisions and watch adorable ponies do adorable pony things. In this week's episode, we return to an episode feature the mane six as a whole. It looks like an episode that will feature Equestria's version of a flea market. What lesson will be found among the bargain bins and the resale booths? Well, find out more in just a few hours! Please discuss the episode, but remember to keep the spoilers in the spoilers bracket. Episode airs Saturday 10:30 AM EST on April 19th :Rarity::AJ::TSparkle::Flutter::RDash::Pinkie:

mane_six_by_sambragg-d68usec.jpg

Let the cute flow through you!

<3

I can't wait "The ponies' friendship is tested when a trip to the Rainbow Falls Traders Exchange goes wrong." Assuming from that info this is going to be one hell of an episode. Would be interesting to see how they overcome this next obstacle. :!:

Hahaha, that had to be one of the most ridiculous trade systems i've ever seen. It was less about a trade being fair, and more about an unsatisfied pony wanting to regene a stupid deal they made. If this wasn't a children's show, this could have been an excellent deconstruction episode. Also, Pinkie is a con artists (but not really).

This episode had a good resolution and a good 'moral' at the end of it, but in all honesty, it moved WAY too slow and didn't really have a lot of 'pop' to it. Not quite as bad as the Breezie's ep, but this ep does rank near the bottom of S4. I'll give it a 5 out of 10, and I think I'm being generous here. REALLY didn't like seeing Pinkie as a 'Flim-Flam' like carnival barker here (complete with mustache). This ep was like a bowl of oatmeal, 'filling' but not 'thrillng'.

This one was pretty uneven and underwhelming.

I wouldn't call it bad exactly, but only one of the three plot lines actually ever built up to anything. The other two just built to weak, non-resolutions. The Fluttershy and Dash plot was somewhat amusing. It might have been better served to cut out the rest of the mane six and focus on those two more. The series of trades were fun. I was especially amused by the Orthos. Yay for more mythological creatures. Kind of a shame they didn't bring it home to Ponyville. Could have a cool thing to have around.

Rarity and Applejack plot was fairly useless. didn't really amount to anything. It was kind of cute to see more fangirling over Twi in the Twilight plot thread. Pinkie didn't seem quite in character though, so it wasn't amazing either. To an extent, I suppose she was looking out for Twi to ensure she got a fair deal for her stuff, but I don't know; it just seemed awkward.

There isn't really much else to say about here. Scott Sonneborn's previous episode was a lot stronger. This is the second time in two episodes he's went to mythological creatures to include in an episode though, which is something cool and leaves me still interested to see what we get from him in the future. I like seeing such things in ponies. Really though, this was pretty much a filler episode. Only really worth something to people with a taste for mediocre ships. :razz:

Rainbow Dash should have had the guts to hoof over Fluttershy as a slave in exchange for the 1st edition book. I'm very disappointed in Rainbow..... :shifty:

Fun episode! The RariJack storyline/argument I've lived many times IRL after marriage. FlutterDash was the best overall storyline even if I found the ending to it meh. Disliked teh Twinkie story. All in all, a fun little episode. Not one of the classics but something fun for twenty two minutes.

Just finished seeing the episode, hmm... it just seemed a bit rushed and had no correlation to what I was originally expecting. The fluttershy constantly being over spoken and disregarded of her personal needs/opinion seems much like a cliche now. This episode could have been done a whole lot better. :!:

Despite almost missing this episode live (parents, poker machines and the local club, they don't mix!), I just managed to catch the live stream with only 40 minutes to spare.

With that said.....

*goes into voiceover mode, Mike Raymond style*

"It's the one day you don't want to miss! The Rainbow Falls Traders Market is on today! Trinkets and treasures going at discounted prices, prices slashed across the board.Bits & Carry, Buy & Swap! From old treasures to new tech and gadgets, we have it all! Bring your wagon, bring your truck, bring the family! Free admission at the gate, no cover charge for parking. Open until sunset, be there!"

*exits voiceover mode*

Despite a spam bot army throwing everything but the kitchen sink in the show hashtag again, the episode was a bit of a mixed bag for me. While it was great to see how the Equestrian economy operates and the addition of the three separate story arcs made for an episode that was great to watch, but it wasn't a blockbuster or memorable one for me this time round.

As always, the full thoughts of the episode are spoilered below:

The Traders Exchange was an interesting concept in it's self, although during the episode I was thinking things like:

Why hasn't Equestria got a banking system like we do? and,

Why hasn't Equestria got a credit or debit card system like we do?

I know this being a work of fiction and all, but concept of bartering in the episode is starting to get a bit tired and dated. Trying to pay for a rare Daring Do book in return for a pet plus your fillyhood best friend? That is definitely asking for trouble.

Which brings me to this tweet that I made during the episode...

"This traders exchange needs some other payment methods other than barter. A VISA or MasterCard Bits card everypony?"

I won't get into full specifics in this post, but I've done a full write up on this on my blog entry if anyone is interested in knowing more about the two questions that I put out there.

The main story arc that also caught my eye was when Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash went on a trading mission to get a limited edition, mint condition Daring Do book. Seeing their long standing friendship being put to the test was interesting as these two go back to their days as fillies in Cloudsdale.

So when the trader decided to throw a clause into the deal which would have saw Fluttershy having to move to Manehattan to train up the creature, I was thinking along the lines of...

"Rainbow! It is not worth it! Stop before you make a mistake you will regret!"

At this point, I would have walked away from the deal. Instead, Rainbow Dash decided to trade Fluttershy away. Luckily though, the bad ending didn't happen and the deal was voided. But this brings up a point, why didn't Rainbow stop and think before she did the deal?

Apart from the main story, here were a few scenes where I had a bit of a laugh, but the story arc of Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash was the main focus of this episode for me, although Rarity and Applejack pooling resources to find antiques and resulting in bitter infighting was an attention grabber in it's self.

Spike finally got what he wanted when he traded his comic book away, but the same old treatment that he has been getting this season still continues on. I often wonder if Spike is going through a rough patch in his life right now, because being treated unfairly on a day to day basis can start getting to a person very quickly.

I also have written my full thoughts on the episode itself on my blog, which can be viewed here.

I don't think that this was a representation of the Equestrian economy at all. It was a trader's exchange. You traded what you had for what you wanted. In Equestrian economies, I doubt a rusty horseshoe would have been worth even a crystal chalice. It is a one-day event. Not an ongoing thing. It is a variation of a swap meet, nothing more.

I enjoyed it actually. It seemed to be a filler episode but it was fun. There were a lot of interesting background ponies and that wagging filly wanting Twilight's autograph at the beginning was adorable. :)

This one was pretty uneven and underwhelming.

I wouldn't call it bad exactly, but only one of the three plot lines actually ever built up to anything. The other two just built to weak, non-resolutions. The Fluttershy and Dash plot was somewhat amusing. It might have been better served to cut out the rest of the mane six and focus on those two more. The series of trades were fun. I was especially amused by the Orthos. Yay for more mythological creatures. Kind of a shame they didn't bring it home to Ponyville. Could have a cool thing to have around.

Rarity and Applejack plot was fairly useless. didn't really amount to anything. It was kind of cute to see more fangirling over Twi in the Twilight plot thread. Pinkie didn't seem quite in character though, so it wasn't amazing either. To an extent, I suppose she was looking out for Twi to ensure she got a fair deal for her stuff, but I don't know; it just seemed awkward.

There isn't really much else to say about here. Scott Sonneborn's previous episode was a lot stronger. This is the second time in two episodes he's went to mythological creatures to include in an episode though, which is something cool and leaves me still interested to see what we get from him in the future. I like seeing such things in ponies. Really though, this was pretty much a filler episode. Only really worth something to people with a taste for mediocre ships. :razz:

It was ok, but I'm not into the episode as the whole thing when it's a lot more on barter trades. Kind of feel like if I were in Wall Street watching people doing all sorts of investments that I don't understand. :( But I'm quite sadden that Pinkie wasted the whole time making the whole day about to go evening and everybody runs off. The items ready to trade are high in value, especially that diamond and yet they all go away. Over-advertising is a bad advantage and comparing a good brand against another brand is very risky in business. So.... I don't enjoy it overall. Just consider it as one of my least favorite episodes.

A two headed dog...... for a book? Is it me, or does that alone seem pretty unfair? Im a bookworm and all....... but seriously? 6/10 the ended was OK, and I could kinda see how rainbow would go through all that trouble, and is it me, or does it seem like twilight has every single book in equestria?

A two headed dog...... for a book? Is it me, or does that alone seem pretty unfair? Im a bookworm and all....... but seriously? 6/10 the ended was OK, and I could kinda see how rainbow would go through all that trouble, and is it me, or does it seem like twilight has every single book in equestria?

Rainbow said it is the only autographed first edition in the entire world. That is likely very valuable.

I think the episode was pretty good. I think the non-Dash/Fluttershy parts while kind of pointless were needed because there really wasn't enough of that main plot to fill the episode. I think the Rarity/Applejack portion works well enough but the Twilight/Pinkie part didn't have a satisfying ending. I would have liked to see Twilight point out to Pinkie that what she wanted was to just get rid of the books and make Pinkie realize she wasn't helping.

• 2 weeks later...

I acctully REALLY liked this ep. I loved the envioment and the story. It was interesting seeing what was considered valuble in equestria.

My favrite storyline was dash and flutters. I could really feel what was on the line and how importent it was to dash.

Oh and the creature tent was so awsome :)

Archived