[Ponyville] Spring Gardens: Fluttershy's Animal Garden, all welcome

[still need a cool banner haha]

Fluttershy stepped out of her small cottage into the warm spring breeze, it was a lovely day out as the sun shone softly through the lovely fresh newly blooming green trees of the garden. She looked around the garden it was peaceful and serene with everything in order, the birds softly high in the trees, the ducks and swans swam gently in the large crystal clear pond off to the far left, and the critters of the garden were hopping and scurrying to and fro, playing around or just enjoying the lovely cool breeze that gently blew through the trees. A single path made a circle around the large garden, made of rocks pushed into the soft ground, they were partially covered by the grass, embedding them into the ground, it made a nice path that ponies could follow, along the way were a few benches that dotted the path for ponies to sit and chat or just take a break.

Fluttershy sighed, "Such a lovely day in the garden, I should put out the sign I guess," she said, she was always nervous about letting ponies into the garden, but she had to do it. She feared they would ruin the trees by climbing on them and breaking branches, she also worried that a pony might hurt a little critter by accident. She shook her head, "No Fluttershy, it will be fine, I'm sure my friends will stop by and..and they said that doing this helps me with my nervousness around other ponies," she sighed and grabbed the sign in her mouth and slowly took it to the decorated and elegant gate to the garden, AppleJack had helped with the fence and gate as Fluttershy had no experience with it. She helped where she could but it was mostly AJ and Big Mac that did the work, she was so thankful to have such great friends.

After placing the sign at the entrance and opening the lovely white gates she sighed an looked toward Ponyville, the sun rising gently over it made a nice glimmer through the trees of Twilight's trees, making the house sparkle. She sighed, "Ah such a lovely day, I do hope nothing goes wrong" she said and covered her mouth, "No, please don't jinx me!" she said to herself and squeaked.

AppleBanner_zps8c0524a4.png

Applejack honestly had better things to do with her time financially than go to the garden opening. Or whatever Fluttershy had decided to call it, she didn't really remember. She could be working the fields or selling some apples, signing a new contract or working on her rodeo skills. Even those helped put bits in her pocket. An if there was one thing anypony who ran such a huge farm like she did understood, it was that you needed to make that money any way you could. The family war chest was always expanding but you never wanted to take any of it. One day you'd need it for a serious reason and coming up short because in your condemnable youth you grew a lazy streak for a day or two. It took a great deal to rouse Applejack out of her work schedule. It wasn't as if she didn't help out around town. Far from it. She was probably the most helpful mare you could ask for, always willing to lend a hoof, some blood, and a little sweat to any job that you needed help with. She just didn't want to work on it long term, days of her life on projects that didn't help her.

So she didn't mind helping put this all together, the fences especially only took a few hours. It meant a lot to Fluttershy. Or, well, it meant a lot to ponies who cared a lot about Fluttershy. She needed more interaction for Celestia's sake. She wasn't a crazy cat mare, she was a crazy every animal mare. Applejack respected the heck out of her peerless work with animals but the filly needed to live a life outside her work, no matter how wonderful it may have seemed to her. So this would combine the best of both worlds and Fluttershy would be dragged kicking and screaming- for Fluttershy this was the most figurative term imaginable as she could do neither Applejack assumed- into a decent social life. The work was done and Applejack...was not quite done. She had been the one pegged to be the first on the scene to help Fluttershy cope with what was sure to be a traumatic day. Bits out of Applejack's bit purse due to lost work.

But for a friend, the war chest could be emptied.

"Howdy, Fluttershy! Yer lookin' real excited 'bout today. Anypony come by yet or am Ah lucky number one?" Applejack asked as she trotted next to her friend, mindful of the small critters underhoof with a basket resting on her back.

"Ah even brought us some lunch jus' in case anything gets hungry! Ah think tha others will turn up sooner rather than later. Oh, and Ah;m sorry Winona ain't with me," Applejack gave the sorry news to Fluttershy and by extension her animal friends, with whom Winona was a rock star, "she's needed back on tha farm. Y'know, farm stuff," she finished, not revealing what that stuff was and for good measure. Flutters wouldn't approve. Nut maybe she'd approve of these sandwiches!

"Ah made hay sandwiches! Want one?"

Fluttershy smiled, "O..Oh hi A.Applejack, o..oh nopony has c..come yet," she smiled, "It doesn't bother m..me too much, m..maybe they just lost the f..fliers" she said as she looked to the basket, "O..Oh no thank you Applejack, I..I had a good b..breakfast, I'm not quiet hungry yet," she said warmly. It wasn't the full truth, she had eaten a decent breakfast, but she was too nervous to eat. She imagined it now, ponies upon ponies filing into the garden, not even in a line! She shivered, they would trample all over the critters and flowers and ruin it all, she gulped, "I..I still don't k..know if I should have d..done thins," she said nervously rubbing the back of her head with a hoof softly, "I..I mean there will be po..ponies, here..with all the critters," she looked around, "Oh what if one gets hurt, oh no, or worse..Stepped on!" she gasped wanting to faint at the thought.

Ah, well then. This was a bit awkward. Hopefully others would show. Now of course it was a bit of obvious timing that was the result of the booking. It was a gorgeous day so ponies would get their daily activities done

Applejack could feel a little bead of sweat drip internally as she realized she was the first. It wasn't much of a shock that she was the first as it was early and most ponies were likely going about the business of the day without much in the way of leeway for time. After all, it was more important to do your work and see what time you had afterwards than put it off at the expense of good reason and possible mishaps. Didn't she knew that! More than a few occasions were marked by her own poor decision making. Like now. But Applejack was confident they'd get more ponies soon, and in any case she needed to stay positive for her friend.

"Well, Ah'm sure some ponies will get here soon enough. It's a busy mornin' fer most so tha townsfolk are probably gonna come after work. It'll be a popular place Ah think, look at all these cute little critters!" Applejack offered as a squirrel wrapped itself around her hoof while looking up with pleasant and quite friendly eyes. Awww, now that was a little cutie pie!

Which may explain why even now Fluttershy was so worried. Well, that was probably more due to her sincere and deep love of all animals but the point stood regardless. She worked with them and lived with them more often than she did moon-fearing Equestrians. They were equal parts her patients, her family, and her friends and Applejack could only guess that getting her to agree to this came with a large portion of her riddled with reservations about this. She gave voice to this, giving play to the possibilities of ponies or animals getting hurt. Mostly animals, but Applejack knew she'd be fine. She worked around animals quite often and while that went down an unsavory and sad path more often than Fluttershy could ever know, Applejack had a gentle touch when needed.

"Don'tcha fret, Fluttershy. With you 'ere Ah guarantee ya that nothin' bad'll come ta pass. They're in the safest of hooves and we built some nice fences and some other containments just in case. Relax an' be excited for tha little guys-" the squirrel knocked on her hoof, staring up in a hoof, "-or girls. Maybe ponies will love'm so much they'll want ta adopt some of 'em."

• 2 weeks later...

RainbowDashthingforFF_zpse1dda7f9.png

"Ha ha! I've got you this time Tank!" Rainbow Dash zoomed past her turtle companions with such speed that Tank flipped over in the air on his propeller. He swung his front feet around and righted himself, following after his beloved friend. "I told you I'd beat you to Fluttershy's cottage!"

WHUMP!

Rainbow flapped back a few wing paces and neared the ground after running into an apple tree. An apple fell down and hit her between the ears as Tank flew by with a smile on his face.

"Get back here you!"

Rainbow regained her speed but it was too late! Tank had beaten her to the cottage and had zoomed up right next to AJ and Fluttershy. He used his propeller a little more before coming to a soft landing on the grass among some squirrel and bunnies.

"That was SO cheating! I'll beat you next time you...you..." She turned her head and spotted AJ and Fluttershy. "Oh hey guys! Me and Tank here were just playin' around. Wait a second! Are those hay sandwiches? I'm starved." RD reached out her hoof for a sandwich.

Steel suggested I could join in the RP, so I hope peeps don't mind

Dash doesn't have to know him at all, I just figured he has seen her around and it has been pointed out to him who she is at least.

Carrot Fields was enjoying the beautiful day; he had managed to finish all the important chores earlier that morning, and as the crops were in the middle of growing, there wasn't much else needed to be done. True there was always the Ponyville marketplace, where assorted denizens ran small booths and sold their wares. Often Carrot was there selling the farm's produce, or his sister's many baked goods. Purple Haze was handling the stand by herself today though; it was important to the older filly to show she could handle running things by herself without her "big brae" always there to watch over here.

Fortunately he wasn't without something to do. Yesterday Applejack asked him for a favor to help one of her besties: Come to Fluttershy's public opening of her garden. It didn't sound like much of an event; as public gardens weren't all that uncommon in Equestria, even Ponyville had a couple. It was important to Applejack though, and it certainly couldn't hurt to relax outdoors among flowers on such a beautiful day. Admittedly, he was also curious about AJ's friend, Fluttershy. He had never actually met her, even though her and the orange Apple pony have be close for a while now. Well if she is as kind as AJ says she is, then everything should go without a hitch.

The garden itself was beautiful, near a wonderful looking tree house covered in birdhouses and surrounded by bushes and next to a small brook. It was beautifully maintained, and the smell of nature delightfully overwhelmed the senses. As the ruddy maned stallion entered he quickly spotted Applejack, her friend Rainbow Dash, and a third pony, a yellow pegasus with a pink mane, would that be Fluttershy?

Carrot waved and smiled, "Guid day Applejack, hello everypony. Ah heard abit th' garden an' decided 'at since it was sae delightful it, 'at it be a stoatin opportunity tae spend it ootdoors in sic' a nice place!" Sure he was exaggerating how happy he was a little, but it wasn't a real burden to do this favor, especially with AJ around. "Och, Ah brooght some ay mah sister's wee carrot cupcakes in mah saddlebags, she insisted. Ah figure nopony woods min'." He turned to Fluttershy and offered his hoof, "hiya, aam Carrot Fields frae jist ootwith toon, nice tae meit ye, miss?"

Fluttershy froze up at the word Adoption, "​A..Adoption, O..Oh my, I..I know its a possibility, but oh, I'm just never prepared to part with the cute little critters" she said and a loud thump made the little squirrel jump up and scramble and hide in Fluttershy's pink soft mane, , Now now little one it's okay it's just miss Rainbow Dash" Fluttershy said as the furry gray head popped out of her mane and looked around seeing the duo as they approached, "H..hey Rainbow Dash, y..you ok?" she asked, though knew the mare had a thick head, so many times she hit it!

Then came her greatest fear, a new pony, a stranger, approaching the garden! He was either a Apple member or an Apple helper, she thought she may have seen him before but was unsure, and he finally got up to the group. He seemed nice and all, but then he turned to her, put his hoof out to her. She freezes and hides behind her mane, covering half of her face with her mane as she makes a squeak

[sorry about short post :/]

Well, it had been a valiant effort at least. Applejack knew that Fluttershy seemed to have a relatively unstable relationship with pet adoption, at times wanting to find homes for all the pets she had around her in a fifteen foot radius that day and other times bitterly resenting even the barest possibility. She didn't have to really guess why. Love was like that, all irrational and such, and she had a bond with her animals that couldn't be easily replaced and was hard to take away. But she also wanted her animals to experience a more common and normal life with loving owners, not one pony overwhelmed by so many at once. It was tough. Applejack understood. Applejack also understood that she needed to buck up and do the right thing by the little ones, but it was her life and these critters had their own choices to make- especially the spirited squirrel. Nopony could tell that one what to do! Applejack nodded in understanding as Fluttershy clammed up at the possibility.

"Ah understand. They are mighty cute after all!" Applejack laughed, petting a skunk which brushed her leg. Luckily, the walking danger sign didn't decide to showcase his ability and walked right along. Talk about dodging an odor! Oh, wait. What was that smell? It was like overworked pegasus sweat mixed in with seafoam. She would know that combination anywhere, and she turned and saw Tank and her owner come into the scene.

They were a fun pair. Tank was the most loyal turtle of all and the slowest pet in existence, an awkwardly fitting yet super symbolic fit for the aways on the move Rainbow Dash. No doubt they had been 'racing', with Dash's heli-whirly thing giving Tank some flight. Dash could crush the machine in a straight race, but no use hammering away at the inferiority of a turtle. Dash was a competitor but not quite that cruel! She also had a good appetitde worked up by the sound of things and as providence would have it Appejack could swiftly oblige. Her hay sandwiches weren't anything to write to your mother about but they'd fill you up, Maybe filling Dash up enough would keep her grounded, a worthy prank for another day. Applejack hoofed over a sandwich immediately, tipping the hat.

"One for ya, pardner. Nice ta see ya, Rainbow! Thanks for the wonderful weather we're having. Fluttershy's exhibition wouldn't go so well without it," she thanked her friend, the skies above cloudless and full of the wonderous sun. Applejack took a sandwich but not before she was interrupted by something with a better taste.

Her coltfriend Carrot Fields finally decided to show up, later than she had expected. Of course she was simply expecting a bit too much from him. Just as she had things to do so did he, but she sometimes dispatched that reality in favor of the fantasy that she had him on-call at all times. Not that she was angry at him or nothing, it was almost impossible to ever be so with him. He was a fine, upstanding Equestrian stallion of good bearing and character who shared so much in common with her that it was almost nerve-wracking. They both appreciated the sweat of a good day's work and the body's final push towrds rest at night. She had an enormous amount of respect for him, an enormous amount if appreciation for who he was. That was probably why they had such a healthy relationship, a few memories of the night blocked out. Experimentation could fail sometimes.

She gave her coltfriend a quick kiss on the cheek in welcoming before pulling him in, even as Flutershy decided to hide in her mane.

"Glad ya could find tha time ta make it, you lazy bones! This here's Fluttershy. Timid as all heck but as sweet as honey. Fluttershy, Dash, this here's Carrot Fields, mah coltfriend an' fellow farmer. So, ya brought Carrot cupcakes? Sounds pretty good ta me 'sides mah Hay sandwiches! Fluttershy, Ah'm sure you'd like 'em. Give one'a try!"

SmallRarityBanner_zps4eb0d218.png

Rarity wasn't really interesting in going to this garden, gardens were dirty, and Fluttershy seemed to be acting odd recently but she went to be a good friend! Opal was sitting astride her back, asleep, Rarity would rather her be asleep than running around, getting burrs and who knows what else in her BEAUTIFUL coat! But Rarity knew how Fluttershy seemed to oh so ADORE Opal, so she chose to bring her along, for her friends sake..

Entering the Garden, Rarity caught sight of her friends, waving at them pleasantly "Oh you hoo! Applejack! Flutershy! Rainbow Dash Darling it's so good to see you!" Of course due to this being a special occasion Rarity had created an ensemble just for it! A beautiful gown of sunny yellow and spring green that draped and flowed like the spring breeze! Topping the whole thing up with a sparkling pair of ruby slippers.

"Isn't it a most beautiful day to walk in the gardens..? I simply had to whip something up for the grand opening of your garden Fluttershy darling" Moving a hoof up to fluff her mane, catching sight of Carrot out of the corner of her vision.

"Oh my and who might this strapping stallion be?"

Oooh yes, it wouldn't just be a marefest here!

[

'Spring Breeze' stood at the entrance to the garden with an odd look on her face, looking out into the garden with trepidation. This was no place for a mare like her, she didn't even know what the purpose of the garden was. She wasn't entirely sure what she was doing here, really. The last thing she wanted to do was spent time closer than usual to one of the element bearers.

The false pegasus shook her head.

Oh who was she trying to fool. If she were in the habit of making good decisions, she wouldn't have had do deal with any of this in the first place. By all accounts Fluttershy seemed like a nice mare, even if 'Spring Breeze' herself had reason to be nervous about her. The false pegasus had overheard that Fluttershy would be opening a public garden for animals and ponies. Lacking any other immediate priorities, and her curiosity piqued, she saw no reason not to see the place. Or at least, no reason which overpowered her curiosity.

Of course, she hadn't counted on four element bearers being present, which she could just make out from her position at the entrance. That gave her pause. Fluttershy was one thing, despite some of the stories 'Spring Breeze' had heard, the pegasus mare was reportedly very shy. To 'Spring Breeze', this meant that she herself probably wouldn't be confronted unless she went out of her way to be an agitant. Four of them on the other hand, raised the risk of a confrontation immensely.

Not quite enough to drive her away however. Lacking any unresolved business, and still curious about what the garden of an element bearer would look like, she hesitantly stepped across the threshold and began walking and looking around.

aXf0zmO.png

Fluttershy walked toward Rarity and smiled, "Hey Rarity, n..nice to see you here," she said warmly as she sat by the mare, "How have you been doing, haven't seen you in a little while, glad to see your ok" she said with a smile as she heard a noise and looked over to see another mare enter the garden. The mare seemed a little lost and uncertain, she hoped she wasn't lost, though this would be an odd place to get lost at. She ignored the stranger for now, as long as the mare wasn't causing issues she would be fine, Fluttershy knew she had to learn to relax.

Fluttershy then heard Applejack speak to her and looked over to see she was with a stallion, her coltfriend she did say, CarrotField. Applejack had asked her to try one of Carrotfield's Carrot cupcakes and Fluttershy raised hoof and gently shook it, "N..no thanks, I..I'm still a b..bit full from Breakfast," she said with a smile, "b..but t..thank you i..i appreciate th..the gesture" she said. A breeze sent a tingle down her spine and she shivered a bit and looked at the trees.

The trees gently swayed in the light breeze and the leaves flittered softly as the light shone through, it was still a lovely day, though could get a little chilly when a stronger breeze then normal came by. She felt Angel bunny poke her ear and she gently set him down on the ground as he made some chattering noises. Fluttershy smiled, "Now now Angel, you ate not too long ago, and I don't know if its best for you to be eating one of the cupcakes, don't want you getting a wittle belly ache now do we?" to this he stomped a foot and made a hmph sound as he turned his back to the mare, making Fluttershy sigh a bit.

Carrot Fields had never met Fluttershy before; he only knew of her from what Applejack has told him, which was extensive. Kind, quiet, humble, and of course shy. He was prepared for somepony who was likely be quite introverted, but he didn't expect her to be honestly frightened of him. It was an uncomfortable situation to say the least, no pony wanted another to be afraid of them, and certainly no stallion liked the idea of a mare scared of the sight of him. For whatever reason the yellow pegasus was clearly anxious by his presence at first. Thanks to Applejack's calming presence and down-to-earth demeanor, the shy mare finally shook his hoof, although it was clear she still appeared uncomfortable.

Carrot decided it was just best to focus on spending time with Applejack, figuring that Fluttershy would come around when she was comfortable in her own time. He just hoped that it would be during his visit; there was something just unsettling and extremely awkward about the host being anxious with one's presence. "Weel they ur really Purple Haze's cupcakes, she insisted 'at Ah brin' some ay 'er latest dessert dishes alang". Carrot chuckled and rolled his eyes, "An' Ah am expected tae gie 'er a foo an' detailed report oan hoo whit each pony thooght ay them. Nae doobt she is plannin' tae seel them at th' next marketplace, she is quite th' wee entrepreneur." He placed the various cupcakes and slices of cake next to the other food, "sae uhh.. whit diz one dae at a garden ceilidh, er party?" He had to catch himself at the end and rememer to use standard Equestian more, he doubted that any of the others knew what 'cilidh' meant.

As great as it was to be there with AJ, Carrot did worry that it would be a very small affair, but it didn't take long for at least a couple others to show. One was a beautiful white unicorn with a striking purple mane who appeared to be quite gregarious, the other was a maroon pegasus with a dark blue mane who acted more aloof, although not initially frightened like Fluttershy was. Carrot couldn't help but blush just a little when the unicorn mare inquired about him in a most flattering manner. "Och! umm... Heh, mah nam is Carrot Fields, cam haur wi 'Applejack, er' Ah mean Ah cam haur tae see Applejack, weel th' garden tay." Heh, hopefully that didn't sound too coltish and awkward. He almost facehoofed when he didn't ask for her name! "Aam' sorry!" He offered his foreleg for a shake, "Ah didne catch yer nam miss?"

Dash shoved a sandwich in her mouth and chewed away, her eyes flicking to the various ponies in the garden. Applejack, Fluttershy, and some new stallion she had seen before but never met. Another pegasus had entered the garden as well and was meandering about.

"Oh you hoo! Applejack! Flutershy! Rainbow Dash Darling it's so good to see you!"

"Hey Rarity!" Dash swallowed her sandwich and smirked at the unicorn, not in bad nature. "If anypony fits in at a fancy garden affair, it's you!"

Heh, mah nam is Carrot Fields, cam haur wi 'Applejack,...

Rainbow couldn't miss the chance to act in her normal gregarious manner. She trotted over and stood near Carrot Fields, a smile covering her muzzle. "Nice to meet cha Carrot! I'm Rainbow Dash, that fancy unicorn over there is none other than Rarity!" She noticed the cupcakes and quickly stuffed one in her muzzle. "MMmmmmm, these are good! Come here and try one of these Tank!" She spoke to her pet who was at the moment blinking in the direction of Rarity's cat.

Rarity arrived in all the glamor she could whip up for a modest garden party, her style and dedication to looking ravishing never once failing to shine through. It was always good to see her. Behind that oftentimes prissy demeanor and creative madness was a really sweet little pony...well, sometimes. She could also be more prickly than a prickle pear. But Applejack didn't mind that. Heck, Applejack liked that! She was a very kind mare but Applejack knew that there were times for ponies to lay their cards on the table even if that meant being a bit angry. Rainbow did it. Applejack did it. Rarity did it. She also wanted to know about Applejack's stallion, which Applejack was never opposed to talking about. Applejack tipped her hat in greetings.

"Howdy, Rarity. Nice ta see yer as fashionable as ever out'r here at a garden party. Hehe, figures you'd be able ta whip somethin' up. This here's Carrot Fields, mah coltfriend an' one of the new-ish farmers ta the area. Carrot, this is Rarity, mah friend and soon to be fashionista ta all the stars Ah bet. Carrot's a real nice stallion. Wears skirts a lot, which is kind of weird but heck Ah'm not judging," she introduced with a twinkle of mischief, always loving to out the screws on her love, knowing full well that he had an excuse or three relating to Fet Lochian culture but she wasn't having any of that, not now and not ever, as long as it allowed her to screw with him, "he makes a real mean soup. Y'all should stop by sometime and get a bowl or four. Heck Rainbow, yer sandwiches and Carrot's soup would make one fine meal," She stated with sly smile as Rainbow went about sharing with Tank. Now that was a pair as odd as a red sky but they made it work. Dash was really a softie underneath her rough exterior as much as it would pain her to admit anything close to it.

Spring Breeze entered and Applejack wa shappy about that too. Heck, it was like everypony who had free time today and was a friend was showing up! Spring was an odd chicken in a cooop but a nice one nonetheless. A hard life from an abandoned family could do that to anypony but she had turned out okay. She had a little bit too much leniency in her heart for changelings, but, well, nopony was perfect. Applejack waved. "Howdy thar, Spring! Guess ya live up ta yer name. Nice ta see ya stop by!" Applejack said as she turned to Fluttershy, who in between her mental death battle with Angel was forgetting something crucial. Namely that there was supposed to be some sort of activity for the ponies who arrived. Applejack, hoof over Carrot and brining him in closer, wanted to make sure this worked out just right. Fluttershy was worthy of the very success and admiration she seemed to fearful of.

"So, Fluttershy, whatcha have lined up for us?"

'Spring Breeze wandered about the gardens a little, mostly just keeping her distance and observing. She'd received a couple glances as she came into the garden, but they seemed to be just the usual curiosity about somepony new. She wasn't under any particular scrutiny. The various animals roaming around the park, and there was a far greater variety than she had ever seen, mostly seemed content to just run around playing or interacting with each other. And 'Spring Breeze' was content to let them be, finding something relaxing about watching them run around.

Well, except for a large moth which had taken a liking to her and was flitting about her head. She tried to wave it away, hoping to get it away without harming it, but it merely flew just out of reach before returning. She decided after a moment that it wasn't doing any harm, even if it was a little distracting, and resumed her walk.

Her thoughts were interrupted Applejack, who was a little ways off with a small group of ponies, waving and calling out to her. 'Spring Breeze' smiled waved back. “Oh, hey Applejack!” She called back. The false pegasus was happy to see a familiar face, even if the earth pony did still scare her a bit, she was perfectly friendly as long as the subject of changelings didn't come up.

'Spring Breeze' meandered over to the group, finally responded to AppleJack's comment. “Yeah, I don't have a lot to do these days, so I just kinda wander around.” She turned toward the rest of the group, still smiling if slightly more hesitant, and introduced herself. “Hello everypony, the name's Spring Breeze. This is going to sound like a stupid question but...is there anything I'm supposed to be doing in a garden like this? I never really saw any of these where I came from...” She scratched the back of her head with a hoof.

aXf0zmO.png

Applejack was speaking to the others as Fluttershy sorted out Angel, finally calming him down so he bounded away to go explore. Then Applejack asked her about activities and she turned to the mare, "w..what do you mean Applejack?" she asked not sure what the mare meant, "I..it's a garden, isn't coming and enjoy a lovely day with the wonderful animals the activity?" she asked her friend. Applejack had also called over a new mare that had entered the garden, silently to Fluttershy, and she had a moth who had taken a liking to her.

The mare seemed a little off, as if she wasn't used to other ponies, though Fluttershy shrugged it off as nervousness, and smiled shyly as the mare approached, the moth seemed happy upon the mare's head. Fluttershy listened as the mare responded to Applejack calling her over, she seemed warm, but a little shy. Soon she asked about what she was to do and Fluttershy shuffled a hoof, "Well, I mean a garden park...well usually i just walk around a..and enjoy the animals," she said as she looked down, "G..guess i didn't think of w..what else might be loved," she said as she looked up and around, trying to figure out something fun and exciting, if only Pinkie Pie was here, she always knows how to party and make things exciting. She then turned to the mare ans smiled, "i..it seems my l..little moth f..friend r..really likes you" she said

banner_bigmac_zpsc869acb6.png

Macintosh had some time to kill. He could catch up on some chores, maybe do some of Applejack's work while she was gone, but he got a scolding last time Big Mac tried to do her chores. Sister sure was particular about her own duties, and he couldn't really blame her. After all, a farm pony's work was like personal time. Often times for Macintosh it was a moment of reflection, a time to think about his life, daydream about possibilities for the future. And the red stallion did a lot of thinking.

But, since all was done for now, Macintosh decided to go to Fluttershy's cottage. He didn't really enjoy crowds that much, but he felt the need to help a friend he had already helped with preparing for the gathering. And included, he would bring along some extra cabbage from the farm. This cabbage, now placed in a potato sack, would serve as a gift to Fluttershy and her animals, maybe give them a little extra to munch on. A tummy full of good eats always did good to improve the mood of a pony, and Macintosh figured the same for little critters.

He arrive on the farm slowly, as he always walked. Without saying a word he crossed through the garden gate and stood a few withers from the rest of the now mingling crowd. He dropped the potato sack on the ground and looked around at the garden. It was a pretty garden, and looked more colorful today than it did yesterday. Why was that?

bigmacicon_zps7f2408f2.png

Other than their introverted host, it appeared that Applejack's close friends were as gregarious as she was. This was his first time meeting them, but in a way he felt he had the advantage despite not quiet being able to place names to faces until now. Applejack often talked of her close circle of companions, her "P.F.F.s" as she likes to call them, in detail; to her, they were important and central to her life as her own family, which was saying a lot. In a way, through her many stories, he had gotten to know them himself, but this was the first time he ever got to meet any of her besties face to face. Carrot waved to both Rarity and Dash, smiling in hopes of making a good first impression, "Hello, nice tae finally gie a chance tae meit ye baith, Applejack has tauld me sae much abit ye, guid things min' ye!"

Everything was going well, at least until Applejack joked that he liked wearing skirts! "Applejack! they ur kilts! Nae skirts, nae dresses! kilts! They ur huir uv a important cultural clothin' 'at represents Fet Loch pride an' stallonhuid!" He had a look of resigned indignation. She was no doubt having fun with him, as he had explained many time before to her, in detail, the culture and history behind the kilt. Truthfully, he wasn't *that* mad, but it was still a bit frustrating, plus he didn't want her friends to actually mistakenly believe she was serious and he actually wore mares' clothing! he last thing Carrot needed was to end up some weird male dress model in Applejack's unicorn friend's dress shop!

At least she quickly changed the subject. "I am jist sorry Ah wasnae able tae brin' onie along; Ah didne know if soop woods make onie sense at th' open garden event. Ah suppose Ah coods hae used a thermos thocht. Nae big deal, purple's food is much better than mine anyway an' she packed at leest four different kinds ay cakes an' fife different kin' ay carrot brownies in mah saddlebag haur." Carrot unpacked all the food that he had brought along, occasionally nudging the persistant white bunny Angel away while setting up. He figured the rabbit could have one once he had everything out. It was carrot based food after all, so it should be alright, shouldn't it?

Applejack did bring up another point he was curious about since the beginning. Was there anything to do? Sure eating and looking at the plants, but that would get boring pretty quick. Still he had no idea what one did in a garden party, so he just suggested the first thing that came to mind, "weel we coods aye play some backyard hoofbaa!"

• 2 weeks later...

"Hello, nice tae finally gie a chance tae meit ye baith, Applejack has tauld me sae much abit ye, guid things min' ye!"

"Nice to uhhhhh, meet cha too!" Rainbow smiled once she had swallowed what she was eating. "Looks like there's gonna be plenty of good stuff to eat here today." Rainbow eyed the food Carrot was taking out. She could get used to this kind of party!

"weel we coods aye play some backyard hoofbaa!"

"Hoofball? That's an awesome idea. I haven't had a chance to play a good game in a while. Tank! We're gonna play your favorite game!" She looked around. Where had that turtle gotten to?

"Fluttershy! Rarity! Ready for some fun?" She smiled a devious smile at the two, knowing both might be reluctant to join in. "It's gonna be fun!"

redcedar90px.png Red Cedar

Red was, as usual, enjoying another few days in Ponyville. He enjoyed it here any time he could get away from Stalliongrad. And, now that spring was well and truly here, it was as good a time as any to come and enjoy the outdoors around his favourite small town again.

But something had caught his eye at breakfast this morning. There was a flier left on the table about a garden opening for the Spring. Well, that sounded nice. Flowers and trees and birds and trees and animals and trees. What wasn't to love? Besides, it looked like it was on the way to where he was going to hike for the day anyway. No reason not to go and take a look.

When he got there, he saw he wasn't the only one to think a walk in the garden on a Spring day was a good idea. Checking the sign to make sure he was in the right place, he trotted into the garden to look around.

As Fluttershy explained that the garden was really just a place to passively enjoy oneself. 'Spring Breeze' was a little relieved to find out that she'd basically already had the right approach. A few of the others expressed a desire to do more than simply wander about, but 'Spring Breeze' didn't mind. She appreciated the notion of a place meant solely for passive relaxation. Though she wouldn't mind a more formal set of activities, either.

Fluttershy also noticed how 'Spring Breeze' had picked up a passenger. The false pegasus looked upwards with a frown, not actually able to see the moth which was sitting atop her head but she could tell it was still there by the faint movements. “Yeah, he's been following me around pretty much since I got here. I tried waving him away, but as you can see it didn't take.” She wasn't actually that bothered by it though, and shrugged. “But eh, he's not hurting anypony, so I suppose he can sit there if he likes.”

A stallion who'd been with the group when she joined suggested something he called 'backyard hoofball'. Lacking any idea what that was, and feeling like she'd drawn enough attention to herself for the moment, 'Spring Breeze' decided to bow out for the moment. Most of the group wasn't paying her much attention at the moment anyways, and she wasn't inclined to change that just yet.

Besides, she'd spotted somepony else she recognized entering the garden, even if it was really only an acquaintance. It was a dark red earth pony, who if she remembered correctly had tried to talk to her during winter wrap up, and she had unintentionally ignored him. Well, no time time like the present to correct that. 'Spring Breeze' trotted over to the stallion, the moth still resting in her mane, and spoke. “Hi! You were part of the plant team too, weren't you?” She was pretty sure she knew who the earth pony was, but it never hurt to double check.

Red was just beginning to take in the garden, looking at the path inviting any pony who entered to wander it and explore between the trees and flower beds, when a pegasus that seemed somewhat familiar came up to him. “Hi! You were part of the plant team too, weren't you?” she asked.

Red studied her a moment, the maroon coat and blue hair definitely stirring some memories up from a Winter Wrap-Up he was trying very hard to forget. "Uhm, yes," he said, tentatively at first, then the look of realization hit him, lighting up his face. "Oh, wait a minute... Spring Breeze, right? Yes, I remember you now. Glad to see you came out of that snowstorm intact." He thought back to how she had gone missing during the worst of the snowfall during the Wrap Up, and how he had been rather unkind to himself for turning back rather than pressing on to find her despite what may have happened to him as well. As he thought about it, something else came to mind. "Uhm, you know, I don't think I ever introduced myself. My name's Red Cedar." he said with a smile.

It took the stallion a moment, but he did recognize 'Spring Breeze' eventually, even getting her name right. It was a minor thing, but it saved her the trouble of explaining. The stallion also stated that he was glad to see her in one piece after the snowstorm.

“Got it in one,” 'Spring Breeze' confirmed that he had the right name. “And yeah, it'll take more than some weather to take me down,” she said with a wry smile, “though, I'll admit I might not have made it if I didn't have help. You could say I have a strange way of making friends, sometimes.” She looked to the side for a moment, thinking about that day in the snow and the implications it continued to have for her. She turned back toward the stallion. “Looks like you made it through alright yourself, that's nice to see.”

After another moment the stallion introduced himself as Red Cedar.

“You already know my name, but it's nice to finally meet you properly.” 'Spring Breeze' scratched the back of her head with a hoof, a little embarrassed by what she was about to talk about. “I didn't mean to ignore you during Winter Wrap Up, but I just got so focused on my work...I meant do something about it after the day's work was done but, well, you know the rest. Still! I'm glad I could finally catch up with you.” She regarded Red Cedar for a moment, remembering that she hadn't seen him around Ponyville much. That could mean he was from out of town, but it could just as easily mean that she just hadn't given him enough attention. “If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts do you live?”

Red smiled understandingly as Spring Breeze apologized for not speaking to him during the Wrap-Up. "It's quite all right," he said. "There was a lot to do, and a lot of ponies around, and... then a lot of snow." Even in the new warmth of Spring, he shivered, remembering being buried up to his chest in it, it had come down so fast.

Then she said, “If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts do you live?”

"Well, I don't live in Ponyville, if that's what you're wondering," Red explained. "I'm from Stalliongrad. I come here on holidays because I love smaller towns with lots of trees around them. Normally, the weather's nice too." he says with a grin. "I'm glad you could catch me, too. I'm glad to know you were all right after all." As he chatted with her, he looked like he had a thought, glancing to the side again at the rest of the garden, and then back to Spring Breeze. "Have... you been around the garden yet? Care to take a walk with me?" he asked hopefully.

SmallRarityBanner_zps4eb0d218.png

AppleJack's coltfriend hn? Well she instantly turned down the flirtation by about 50 "Such a pleasure to meet you Mr Fields I'm Rarity" She gave his hoof a firm shake before releasing it, "I would love to try some of his soup sometimes, that sounds absolutely delightful" At AppleJack's comment about her frock, Rarity chuckled, flipping her mane "Oh this old thing? I just whipped it up last night, it's not much but I figured it was garden chique.." Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy were here ofcourse... and she smiled kindly at Fluttershy "Darling I wouldn't miss your party for the world, it's good to BE here.." Smirking back at Rainbow Dash "I would suppose that is true! Why you could say that fancy parties and social affairs are my Wonderbolts in a way hn?"

Archived