Snake Oil (Closed, PM for Invite)

Huscarl

A rumbling sound could be heard in Ponyville... Faint and distant at first, it slowly grew louder as a silhouette of a carriage slowly emerged on the horizon . This was no ordinary waggon, it was painted in an attractive violet and has signs placed all over it in an attempt to draw as much attention to it as possible. At the centre of Ponyville, the carriage stopped. The rumbling sound stopping as soon as the wheels drew to a halt.

Obviously, many resident ponies in the town had exited their homes in order to discover what was causing all the racket. None of them, however could anticipate what was going happen next. The carriage slowly opened, and began to slowly transform into a type of stage.

"Mares and Stallions, Fillies and Colts... Welcome to the most unique, most exotic, most wondrous travelling store to ever enter this town, Foalfellow's Emporium!!!". A loud booming voice spoke, emitting from the transforming means of transportation. "Of course, owned and ran by the most handsome travelling merchant to grace Equestria with his presence... Foxglove Foalfellow!" A Stallion, slightly thinner than most ran onto the stage, his cape briskly dancing in the wind and an old top hat, barely holding together, sitting atop his head.

The appearance of the orange pony was met with gasps of awe from the audience. His presentation, despite being shabby and unrefined was still impressive, as they contently awaited for his next few words. "But of course, what would a good merchant be without fine wares?!", the pony bellowed, as he pulled a lever for the curtains behind him to part and to reveal an astronomical variety of items. Items varying from diamond studded jewellery to the modest trinket, maps and potions. Foalfellow looked out to the audience, a radiant and infectious smile emerging on his face.

• 2 weeks later...
Frdnlm6.png

"You're a fine rockin' filly, AEEE-OOOO-E-OOO, and you drive me straight and silly, OOOH-OOOO-E-OOO - "

No too few ponies frowned in his direction - he could almost feel the glares burning holes of disapproval onto his flank - but Inkbrand barely registered any of them as he continued singing, head loping left and right in time with the beat. The sun was shining, the breeze was blowing, the birds were making their bucking annoying little racket, and Inkbrand would be remiss not to add his own harmony to the otherwise quiet town of Ponyville.

"Come on pretty filly, AEEE-OOOO-E-OOO, won't you be my little - eh?"

Normally, a little bit of rumbling and shaking wasn't too much cause for concern - a cow stampede, a late night party, a sale on salt - but in a place like Ponyville that was suppose to be as quiet and normal as the ticking of the sun, Inkbrand had learned not to take anything for granted. Still, even he was rather surprised when a large and rather flamboyant wagon suddenly rolled over the bridge, coming to a halt right in the heart of Ponyville. All the annoyed glares turned on Inkbrand were suddenly pinpointed on the wagon, though the looks quickly changed to surprise and anticipation once the cart seemingly turned outside-in to become a stage.

Intrigued, Inkbrand took a few steps forward into the crowd to see what was going on - though he needn't have worried, as a slender stallion suddenly took the stage, voice carrying loud and clear over the area. "Traveling Emporium, eh?" the tattoo-clad stallion murmured to nopony in particular, not terribly impressed as the wares were revealed from behind the curtain. These traveling merchants were often scams and con artists, gathering up whatever junk they could find and turn a profit for. Even the most beautiful, intricately crafted pieces were often nothing more than mere copies of originals - well made copies maybe, but way too expensive nonetheless. Inkbrand highly doubted there was anything worth the attention of -

"Oh, sick," he hissed under his breath, shouldering past a couple to make his way near the end of the stage. The pendant, held on a normal looking silver chain, was almost entirely black, and made out of a material Inkbrand couldn't really identify. Onyx, maybe, or black alabaster? Whatever it was made of, the shape was what had really grabbed the grey stallion's attention. With a vague sort of spiked, spiral shape that originated from the center, the pendant almost bore some resemblance to the top of his own cutie mark.

Huh. It'd looked pretty good hanging off next to his chains, maybe.

"Oi, Foxfellow!" Inkbrand yelled out, not moving from his spot next to the pendant lest some uninformed customer suddenly decided he wanted a little look-see. He simply waved a foreleg to grab the merchant's attention, before pointing it towards the pendant he was standing in front of. "What's this made of?"

kafyBGS.jpg

Cashmeretempbanner_zpse1c43421.png

The other's wares were rather nice, Cashmere knew there was a high chance that some stuff could be copies and not the original piece, but he figured that everyone in this world had to make their money somehow! So he was more than happy to browse the wares..spotting a rather lovely broach with a bright red gem in the center, surrounded by small black and white metal bits that curved outwards, making the red gem look like the fiery heart of the center of a sunflower.

It was beautiful! Lifting it up with his magic, he twirled it in the air to catch the light, "Once you are done aiding this rather fascinating gentlemen I'd be interested in knowing the price of this as well"

He had noticed Inkbrand, he was a very cute stallion! Such interesting marks, and such a devil may care spirit! He loved the look in his eyes, but was deciding for now to keep a distance.

He looked like trouble on hooves.

Java had only given the jewelry that this pony was peddling a half-hearted glance over. Any pony that was to glance at him would know almost immediately that he was a pony of function over form, with a minimal taste in aesthetics. His own body lacking the very fashion sense of even the most common ponies, kept for his trusty fire retardant waistcoat. An immaculate professional vest. Such a vest has done him well, lasting through many tests with his own, and co-workers inventions. All the failed inventions it helped protect the pony, from fireballs, shrapnel, blunt forces, crashes, and splatters - to looking quite professional in interviews and demonstrations; despite his messy mane of course. Such a tough pony, with a smaller figure of sturdy workhorse, needs something tough and functional.

Unless of course, it came to his own homestead. Whom had been decorated quite lovingly from the floors to the ceiling with a large variety of plants, and odd nick-nacks, trinkets and art work that he either created, or happened to stumble across on his trips across Equestria.

No instead, his eyes had fell on the large array of nick-nacks, maps, and trinkets that this merchant pony had to offer. A glance over the pen-menship of the maps was enough to tell the pony that some of these may not have been the true originals. Either by the non-faded ink. Or the near perfect preservation of maps that were supposed to be quite ancient. Either way, the pony couldn't care enough if these were the originals or not. In fact, such forgeries that were so well done and painstakingly made deserve some sort of praise!

And then he found something. "Why hello there, beautiful!" His voice came out in a sultry tone as he happened to unroll a well worked map. The notion directed to the very same map he had been gazing down yearnfully at.

A very extreme case of an ornamental map. This map was so beautifully decorated with hard black ink, and gentle washes of colorized pigmented inks. Decorative borders with profile paintings of important figures. Small puckets were placed here and there with emblems and small writing that may detail the history or small information. The mass location was a little unknown to the pony, and the language looked like it was supposed to be from Unyasi. Such a beautiful master piece had actually caught the pony from surprise. This left him staring in awe at the little treasure he had found with his jaw dropped and eyes wide. Java still couldn't care if this map was real or not, he simply felt that he wanted it. And needless to say, it would be an extra benefit if the map wasn't real, as it would pave way to a new land in future Obelisk and Ogre's campaigns to come! And should it be real? Well, the pony knows where his next journey will lie.

“And... after those two, sir,” Java chimed in, excitement filling his tone. But of course with the lack of coffee in his system, he was not bouncing around like he normally would, nor speaking incredibly fast.

“How much is this here brilliant map?!”

Foalfellow's smile was brimming from ear to ear. His white tipped, orange tail was swaying from side to side so immensely fast, one would have thought it was powered by a motor. It had been an incredible amount of time since he last saw this amount ponies take such an interest in his emporium! He heard a prominent voice calling (what seemed to be) his name. Turning around, with his blue, shabby cape swaying in the wind, he approached his first 'potential' customer, who was waving his foreleg at the travelling merchant.

Foalfellow ecstatically trotted over to the curious pony, and closer inspection of the customer actually surprised Foalfellow. In all his years of travelling, he had never laid his eyes upon a pony who had such a unique (and dare he say it), 'interesting' garb. His tattoos, piercings and overall presentation was more than worthy of a double, if not triple take. Looking upon the item he seemed to be inspecting, it obviously looked to be in coherence of his unique attire. Foalfellow licked his lips and he charged up his charismatic skills in his mind before opening his mouth.

"Well, my dear boy! Firstly, I'd like to correct you on a minor detail, my name is in fact Foxglove Foalfellow, but my friends just refer to me as Foalfellow! And you can do the same!" Foalfellow remarked in his trademark raspy voice, smiling warmly. "This item here? Well I can see you have an eye for quality my good sir! That is 'The Noir Pendant'! It's material is quite amazing, don't you think?" Foalfellow remarked, turning his head and picking up the item with one of his forehooves. "Legend has it, that this black material here is made from obsidian found in furthest reaches, and in the largest volcanoes of the Badlands! Don't stare into the centre of the obsidian for too long... It's previous owner before me stared into it for such a drastic amount of time, it eventually stared directly back!" Foalfellow told the pony, his tone changing in emotion to fit the story. "I still wonder what happened to that mare... Where she walks now, nobody knows." He finished, giving a shrug. "The metal supporting the pendant, is the finest silver Equestrian mines have unearthed, only first class materials are used for my wares! And that is coming from an honest merchant!" Foalfellow said, rather egotistically as he stood back, allowing the pony time to properly examine the pendant.

Foalfellow heard another voice calling for him, "Please excuse me for a brief moment my dear sir! If you have other questions, please don't ever hesitate to ask!" the merchant finished, turning and walking to the new voice, his cape almost swiping Inkbrand in the face. This other customer looked much more docile in comparison to the first, which Foalfellow had taken clear note of. Still, Foalfellow recharged his charisma levels in his mind, as he once again licked his lips before speaking. "Hello there my dear friend! Ah! Yes, I see you have noticed the 'Ruby of Everlasting Love'! You definitely have a keen eye, not surprising from such an adept magical user as yourself!" Foalfellow continued, his voice gaining exuberance with every word leaving his mouth. "The price of this broach, may be a tad steep... But I assure you! This lovely item is worth every bit! You see, the history of this item admittedly has left me almost as ignorant as you, though I recall a Zerba from long ago telling me that it was left basking in a desert, underneath the scorching sun for a thousand years, giving it the shape somewhat recognisable as a sunflower.." Foalfellow exclaimed, giving a similar speech to to the unicorn as he did to the previous customer. "Perhaps there are magical properties to the broach, who knows where it has been and what it has been through... Or, perhaps it's only a beautiful looking broach, something that you would agree with, correct?" Foalfellow finished "300 bits, a reasonable price, don't you think?" Foalfellow said, before yet ANOTHER customer asked for his attention.

"But for you? I think we can come to a conclusion on 275 bits! Now, if you'll excuse me one moment, another customer is begging for my attention. I shall leave you to examine the broach at your own free will, And if you have any questions, please! Don't hesitate to ask!" Foalfellow finished, his tail now swaying peacefully in the wind, looking akin to a perfect replica of a foxes.

"And you.." Foalfellow exclaimed as he slowly trotted towards the 3rd and final pony. "Last, and certainly not least! I come to a map enthusiast! Always my favourite type of customer to serve" the slick, travelling pony said as he made a quick judge of his character. This pony was clearly not one of the 'fancy' type of class, his worn looking waistcoat was a constant reminder of that. No, Foalfellow pondered, he looked like a true worker, an apprising adventurer! The bread and butter of civilisation! Foalfellow quickly composed himself, as he once again licked his lips. "This map! Well... This map!" Something very odd had happened to Foalfellow, he was speechless.

"I.. Um, This map! I uh... Don't actually know what this is a map of..." Foalfellow said, observing the map with Javasun. "It's quite exhilarating isn't it? Looking at an old map what you don't know is depicting?" Foalfellow said, somewhat excitedly "Just imagine... This ancient map could be trying to tell us the site of an ancient dragon's cave... Or the ruins of a race long forgotten long ago!" Foalfellow wondered out load. "If I had to make an assumption, I recognise the landscape as being distinctly Zerba... and many landmarks depicted on the map point to it being in Unyasi... You see this part here?" Foalfellow continued, as one of his fore-hooves shot directly to the north western part of the map "This looks exactly like the southern tip of the Quagga Strait! A dead give-away for sure!" Foalfellow smiled confidently at Java. "As long as you have the bits, I would be more than willing to part with this map! I would be requesting the sum of 105 bits! But for you? I'd part with it for only 100...".

Foalfellow finished, taking a step back and looking around at the variety of ponies keenly looking around his wares. A small smirk appeared on his face, followed by a very quiet giggle from underneath his breath.

Java watched the foxy-merchant's behavior with a great deal of interest. Even his smile seemed to get bigger as he watched that tail swish through the air like a real foxes! And even when he was telling the stories of the many different items in his collection, he listened. But when he got to himself, the pony looked back down at the small treasure he held in his hooves, and waited for a fantastic explination.

"I.. Um, This map! I uh... Don't actually know what this is a map of..." Foalfellow said, observing the map with Javasun. "It's quite exhilarating isn't it? Looking at an old map what you don't know is depicting?" Foalfellow said, somewhat excitedly "Just imagine... This ancient map could be trying to tell us the site of an ancient dragon's cave... Or the ruins of a race long forgotten long ago!" Foalfellow wondered out load. "If I had to make an assumption, I recognise the landscape as being distinctly Zerba... and many landmarks depicted on the map point to it being in Unyasi... You see this part here?" Foalfellow continued, as one of his fore-hooves shot directly to the north western part of the map "This looks exactly like the southern tip of the Quagga Strait! A dead give-away for sure!" Foalfellow smiled confidently at Java. "As long as you have the bits, I would be more than willing to part with this map! I would be requesting the sum of 105 bits! But for you? I'd part with it for only 100...".

Java's eyes quickly flicked to the sale's pony after noticing the stuttering. His expression suddenly fading from his happy go lucky nature, to a more curious note. Even a brow was arched from the sudden disappearance of the pony's charismatic spell. If anything was true, it did mean that the map was probably not that well known, which would make for a great setting for any Obilisk and Ogre's Campaign he ran. Not to mention the price which most people would find to be utterly absurd, was actually justified quite well with most table top gamers, map-collectors, adventurers, and art enthusist. Even if the artwork they were holding was not an original, check that, real. “Uhm.... well...” Javasun began, his tone taking a pitch of uncertainty, “you have my attention.” His hoof moved up to scratch at his chin. The pony most certainly would like to buy it, but when a con- merchant does not even know his own wares, it tends to be a little mysterious.

Still however. The engineering pony would rather know what he is really buying before settling with the price. A raised hoof quickly slid it's way past his vest, to withdraw a pair of small rectangular glasses. After opening them up, Java slipped them over his eyes and took a closer look to the map to see if he could spot any familiar land marks or references from other maps that he had previously looked at. And if not that, then perhaps scrutiny for anything that just seems rather off. Regardless of what he found, the pony would still be more than willing to make such a purchase. So he asked a single question, more curious to see if it was an act, or the merchant truly did not know where this had come from. “And... if I may... how did this item... come to your acquisition?"

Turning, with his cape emanating blue cherry blossoms fluttering through the wind. Foalfellow returned to the company of Javasun as quickly as he had left it. "Not convinced, my hard working friend?" Foalfellow asked in his raspy voice. Foalfellow then pulled an old, worn and somewhat odd looking cane out from his jacket pocket, and placed both of his forelegs upon the top of it, and began leaning on top of it in a casual, nonchalant style "I believe I brought a collection of maps from a strange zebra a long, long time ago... I believe she claimed that she lived to in the Everfree Forest! Can you believe that?!" Foalfellow giggled "I think her name was Zecma? Zecorn? I was just an inch high at the time! My memory doesnt serve me so well!" Foalfellow joked. "But still..." the merchant pony continued, as he flipped his cane around and back into his pocket, making a strange, unnatural sound as he did so. "... the overall quality of the map is spectacular due to it's age, don't you think? And how many times do you really think you will meet me again? Even if you do, I can make no promises that this map will still be in my possession..". Foalfellow looked at Java, his eyes piecing through him, watching and waiting intently for his reply.

Frdnlm6.png

Triple F sounded much easier to Inkbrand's ears.

Triple F it was.

Inkbrand nodded his head vaguely at Triple F's explanation, trying his absolute hardest to appear like he knew exactly what in the hay the slick talking pony was talking about. It was a rather difficult task - for one, the words all sort of flowed together, and two, Inkbrand seriously had no idea what in the hay Triple F was talking about. Blah blah 'This is a super awesome item' blah blah was pretty much all Inkbrand was hearing, but the stallion definitely had a way with his words. Even the simple name of the item - The Noir Pendant. Singular, presumably the one and only - was ear-catching, whether it was the actual name or not, and buck it all, he was curious.

"So you're saying it's a cursed pendant," Inkbrand mused, thinking aloud rather than actually directing a question towards Triple F. Claiming that a pony had gone missing by essentially purchasing the item wasn't, in his own humble opinion, the best way to sell said item…but he wasn't a little filly, easily spooked by superstitions and old legends. It was all a salespony trick, trying to increase intrigue and ramp up the item. Inkbrand also had absolutely no clue whether Triple F was lying about the materials used to make the pendant or not. What all did he know about the differences between fake silver and real silver, or onyx from the mines versus onyx from the Badlands?

…Well, it was definitely interesting to look at. Inkbrand held up the pendant to the sunlight for a moment, admiring the catch of darkened rays creating an almost clear centre, before Triple F's voice grabbed his attention again. Though this time, the salespony was talking up another customer, and one Inkbrand was somewhat surprised to see he recognized.

To say he and Javasun were friends would be…quite a bit of a stretch. They were, at best, business acquaintances and one of his contacts. What really made Javasun so valuable, though, was his lack of interest outside of his work - he never raised inquiries when Inkbrand would pop in for a visit, or requested a questionable item for trade. That sort of nonchalance was fairly hard to come by in a pony nowadays, and Inkbrand wasn't sorry to have run into the engineer all those nights ago. Though, the tattoo-clad stallion could also safely say that this was the first time he'd seen Javasun out of his shop - certainly, he'd never interacted with the other stallion outside of business conversations.

Eyebrows furrowed, Inkbrand slowly set the pendant back down in its place, glancing about to see what other ponies were around him. His first instinct was to simply ignore the other stallion, pretend he didn't know him if Javasun made a move in his direction - no need to make a public connection between the two of them unless it was needed - but then, a snippet of their conversation broke through his inner planning, causing Inkbrand's ears to tilt forward. Seemed like they were discussing a map of some sort…and Javasun looked highly intrigued.

Oh, Tartarus. Inkbrand cast another look back at the Noir Pendant, before turning around to trot up to the pair, coming to rest right between and behind the two of them. He leaned slightly over their shoulders to get a better look at the map, and in nearly the same motion, an expression of confusion took over his face.

What in the hay kind of map was that?

"What in the hay kind of map is that?" he demanded, shouldering up even closer to Javasun to get a better look at the map. He didn't recognize any of the landmarks or features shown on the parchment - did it even depict a real place? Or was it the crazy design of an art-school pony dropout? "Planning on getting lost in the middle of nowhere, eh, Sun?" the grey Earth Pony remarked, casually rearing upwards to lean an elbow against Javasun's back as if he were a fence post.

kafyBGS.jpg

Java’s eyes met the savvy sale’s pony with a bit of thought behind the glance.
“Mm… dang this guy’s good,”
The pony thought to himself as he then glanced back down to the map. His eyes flicking over it’s edges, noticing that there had been some worn behind it, but it was well preserved, almost to well to be more precise. In fact, he has never even heard of a map that had been so well taken care of as this one. But fake or not, the pony always appreciated good craftsmanship and ingenuity. Such little things, even from a scam provides such a nice source of inspiration. So if this actually wasn’t a real map, but some sort of play mat for a child, then he’ll still see it as a worthy purchase of art.

The pony glanced back up, meeting the sale’s pony’s gaze once more. His exp
ression remained dull and calculative, before finally a devilish smile tore it’s way onto his maw.
“Well, who says I won’t be able to find you again, hm Foxy~,”
The pony laughed with a musical note. A humorous thought had came in mind, but it was far from the aggressive demands of a refund for a botched purchase. He replaced the map back down, after moving a few strands of his messy mane out of his eyes.

Just as the pony was about to raise a hoof to pull out the asked amount of bits, he felt something on his back. The pony lifted his head up, and turned around to soon find a familiar face.

“Ah! Inkbrand,” the pony exclaimed in surprise, then a smile came to his lips once more. His tone once again back to it’s happy go lucky nature. Which may come off as a bit off, given that Inkbrand had rarely ever spoken to the pony when he was away from work.
“Sorry if I hadn’t noticed you there. Which curiously enough, it’d be rather… har d to not notice you with your incredibly loud appearance! But none of the less!”
His gaze then turned back to this wonderful sheet of paper. The pony didn’t seem to mind the other leaning on him like an arm rest.
“But I am glad to see you again! I do have something to ask of you after this! Rest assured, I am not going to have you jump off a cliff! Erm... yet. Ok well.... that will be soon... but I am just testing it myself first to make sure the major flaws are gone... heh-heh. Can't have you dying~”

“Now as far as getting lost, I am sure that would be a rather red-”
He cut himself short as his eyes then glanced up and stared blankly off into space.
“Mmm-”
He hummed softly to himself as he lowered himself down into a sitting position. A hoof now raising up to his chin. His tone suddenly swapped to something more perplexed and thoughtful
, “Actually, getting lost in who knows where does actually sound fun when you look past… or include… check that… include the fact that you may get chewed. Still sounds pretty fun… and interesting. Yes… interesting indeed…. should try that sometime.”

His gaze then swapped back to Foxglove,
"Now... you said that would be a hundred bits, yes?"

• 2 weeks later...

Cashmeretempbanner_zpse1c43421.png

Cashmere's muzzle wrinkled at the other's flowery title for the pretty broach, and his face full up scrunched at the mention of 300 bits! The ornate map was even more expensive and yet it went for a mere 100 bits? Cashmere rotated the broach around again, before gently settling it down "Ah, while it is very beautiful I'm afraid 300 is too rich for my blood" Sure he looked like a classy, upper class sophisticate, but he was a simple pony from Ponyville, with a self ran business! He could just not justify a 300 bit price tag like that! The other two seemed friendly with one another, though his face reddened a tiny bit as he recognized Java.

That was the dang stallion that had called him cute before, oyie! Though the rebellious looking stallion with the markings and the blue mane was getting more of Cashmere's glances.. oh my he was cute..

He really needed to stop gawking at stallions, moving a hoof up to his face to rub it..

Keep it together Cashmere...

Foalfellow looked around at the three potential buyers, his eyes making contact with each as they spoke, examining their posture and tone, as he attempted to read their emotions. Looking upon Cashmere's reaction to his suggested price, it was clear he wouldn't be able to sell without some serious negotiation, "Well, dear boy, I would be willing to lower the Ruby to 250... But I have a business to run! If I met a hundred of you, I swear I would be out of business within a month!" He gave a hearty laugh before looking back at Cashmere "So, what do you say?".

He took note of Inkbrand's idle words "Perhaps it may be a cursed pendant, Perhaps it isn't. I'm simply..." Foalfellow paused briefly mid sentence, taking a deep breath "... Relaying information to my customers, and the legend of The Noir Pendant? Well, the authenticity of the legend is a good as a guess as anyponies. But you must admit, it does add a certain intrigue to the item, don't you think?" His tone changing to a more sceptical approach.

He stopped upon noticing what Java was talking about, what in a strange turn, had Foalfellow interested in their conversation. Jumping off of cliffs? Neither of the ponies were Pegasi so jumping off a cliff would be an... interesting experience? The two looked to be quite close to eachother, one pony leaning on the other like a table was a clear sign that they have had previous experience in the past, Foalfellow decided to wait, becoming a spectator to whatever interaction may be conjured next between the two. Perhaps their would be an opening for some business to be arranged... Snapping out of his deliberation, he answered Javasun's question.

"Yes!" He said, with a smile from ear to ear, "The sum of one hundred bits!".

Frdnlm6.png

Alright. So JavaSun was still doing the crazy thing.

Inkbrand let the brown stallion's words wash over him in an array of white noise and random comments, a little bit more used to his behaviorisms than he had been when they'd first…met. He'd noticed it before during their business interactions, but never so blatantly - JavaSun was a lot more serious and a stick-in-the-mud when it came down to business. Out here in the real world, the other stallion seemed downright jovial by comparison. That, and the lilting tone his words often took were rather…well. Creepy?

In any case, the tattoo-clad stallion couldn't really find it in him to care too much, since he wasn't in the process of buying anything new from the stallion. Instead, turned his attention back onto the map, giving it another dismissive glance over as his eyes lingered again on the unfamiliar markings and points of interest. Oh sure, Inkbrand liked an adventure as much as the next stallion - but usually said adventures had some sort of purpose or payout to them, not a random romp in the woods that would lead to Luna knows where. If it even led anywhere. Maybe a lost civilization composed of entirely smoking hot mare babes, that would be so amazed by his appearance they'd name him King and serve at his beck and call for the rest of his days.

'Yeah. I'd be down for that adventure.'

The grey Earth Pony retreated from his half-perch on Java's shoulders, golden gaze turning back onto the salespony at his words. "Does it, now," he said noncommittally, even as his eyes strayed back towards the pendant resting innocently on its display cushion. "Sounds like it adds more of a price tag than intrigue." Inkbrand had yet to inquire about a price, even though he knew it was always smart to have the salespony name the first price before the customer did. That way, said customer could avoid getting ripped off by naming too high of a price, and also avoid offending the seller by low-balling. Though Inkbrand had yet to meet a traveling salespony that would be so offended, he would turn away a potential sale.

Still.

The grey Earth Pony glanced around a bit, eyes finally settling on a light grey unicorn he'd vaguely noticed before as another potential buyer. He seemed to be quailing at the expensive tag on the pendant he'd been looking at, and Inkbrand didn't hesitate raising his voice up. "Oi, what d'you think?" the tattoo-clad stallion yelled towards the unicorn, as if it were completely reasonable to ask complete strangers their opinion on potential overpriced wares. "Is a legend worth anything to a hunk of metal and ore?"

kafyBGS.jpg

Java's eyes darted to a rather familiar pony after hearing him speak up. He easily recalled both the name and where he met the said pony. Way back in Canterlot at DonutJoes. A very feminine stallion, but one that some how could look photogenic without even trying. Cashmere, though the surname did escape the pony. Not that it was ever mentioned of course. But it was a pony he had previously called cute, and sincerely without any form of joking or spite meant behind it. And then his eyes turned to what he had put down, completely missing the scene where Cashmere had been blushing.

While he heard the old legend about the "Noir Pendant," Java had completely missed the tale for the sunflower ruby. He didn't even catch it's name. The Noir Pendant had more of an entertaining value behind it. The mysteries of a cursed relic touched the inner dork inside the stallion. But the pendant? Why didn't Cashmere get it?

Something about a steep price tag? Well, it was quite odd in the pony’s perspective. He had thought that Cashmere was pretty well off. After all, he did mention something about owning his own store in Canterlot. A feat all in it’s own, when the business district is normally dominated by higher standing ponies. And to top it all, he sells fashion wear. Something a posh resident of Canterlot always wants, and will generally buy as it flicks into style… or to become what they call a hipster.

He approached the item as he heard the final price being announced. What an odd little thing it was. It was a well-crafted broach, with an interesting little gem in the center. Sort of like a sunflower, really. To Java, it was just a piece of fragile rock that was likely glass due to the inner designs. The metal was probably where the real value lay, but if it was gold in any way, it was likely gilded to some degree with a cheaper metal. Especially when such a price tag was low.

He glanced back up to Cashmere, for just a mere second to catch him now covering his face with a hoof. “Well, I guess he wants this… but doesn’t carry the bits…” Java thought to himself as he tapped his chin. He then tapped it with his hoof. The weak magnets attached to his horeshoe allowing him to lift it up into the air without damaging the metal work, so he could get a better look. He tilted it into the sunlight, and watched the light refract.

“This is ridiculous…” Java thought to himself, giving the item a rather dry look. “Why ponies spend senseless amount of time decorating themselves with such useless materials is beyond me. Clothing… I can come to an understanding… manes… maybe… but jewels!?” The pony’s thoughts continued to run as he let out a small, but nearly unnoticeable sigh.

“Well…” he began to himself, though this time aloud. He hadn't even touched his monthly “for fun” budget. And his material budget was barely even dented. His coffee budget was nearly completely spent, but it wouldn't matter as it would last him for the remainder of the month. There was the argument that he could always SAVE his bits, but he wasn't even hurting on bits in hindsight. Sure, he may look like a middle class working pony. But his income was undeniably beyond substantial. And heck, he had been careful with his spending's! His full time job, provides him with an income that he barely even spends as it comes in. Then he has his personal commissions, and contracts with other businesses that had been paying him royalties. The pony could barely even find a reason why he should care if he suddenly lost the bits, he was going to make some pony happy, dang it! The only real concern he had was how much was on him currently. He unlike most ponies, finds it wiser not to carry all of your hard earned bits, but only a small amount. And at the end of this purchase, he’d have enough to buy him and the other two stallions a sandwich, and get himself a train ticket home.

“Right… make it 350…” Java said as he placed the precious item down with his map. He reached into his vest, and slid out his wallet, and pulled out the needed amount of bits. He gave his wallet a small shake to gauge how much was left by weight alone, and put it away.

“I’ll be buying this as well,” He chimed, handing over the bits in one hoof while gesturing to Cashmere’s broach.

Once his payment was made, he’d slip the map into a safe pocket in his coat, secretly hoping that it was a fraudulent map. Thus making it more valuable for a session of Obillites and Ogres. After all, who wants to use a pre-existing area for a fantasy game!

The broach however, was carefully carried by the needle in his jaws as he sauntered up to Cashmere. When he was close enough, he’d raise a hoof, tapping the needle with the magnetic strip on his shoe, and offered it over, flashing Cashmere a sincere smile. “I don’t see much in jewelry for myself, but... I am certain it will look great on you.” What a nice thing he was doing. Giving gifts felt nice! Perhaps he should make a charity budget later? Yes, a charity budget for gifts and donations.

His gaze now flicked back to Inkbrand, “Well if you like ghost and goblins. I am sure you can’t go wrong with a curse. It’s not going to kill you, just drive you dafter than my Grandpa, Daddy G. Man, he's more senile than a deranged spider pickin a fight with an agitated gator.”

• 1 year later...

Frdnlm6.png

Ooh, big spender.

Inkbrand had already surmised, from his brief "visit" to the brown stallion's home, that JavaSun had some wealth stashed away. Nopony lived that eccentrically without the bits to back it up, after all. But even with that knowledge, he couldn't help the surprised raise of his eyebrows as the other Earth Pony hoofed over three hundred and fifty bits without even batting an eyelash - and not only that, proceeded to give the newly purchased brooch to the light grey stallion that'd been eyeing the two of them up not a moment ago.

Huh. Somepony JavaSun knew? Or had the stallion been receptive enough to those appreciative looks to attempt an over-the-top but impressive display? Either way, his brain was taking a dangerous turn towards two stallions batting eyelashes at each other, which was enough for Inkbrand to shudder lightly before turning back to the Foxfellow guy.

"I'm not particularly fond of ghosts and goblins, no," the tattoo-clad Earth Pony stated wryly, though he spoke more towards the salespony than the scientist, "so I think I'm gunna pass. Got a lot left to do before I disappear into the Badlands, eh?" In reality, after hearing the prices of the other objects floating through pony hooves, Inkbrand sincerely doubted he had the bits to spend on a pretty bauble and nothing more.

Shame, that. Maybe next time this Foxfellow wheeled on through Ponyville, his tattooing business would blowing its way through to fame and fortune, and he'd be rolling atop a pile of gold to pass the time.

It could happen!

With an inward snort, Inkbrand turned on his hooves, flicking his tail in farewell to JavaSun and the vendor himself, before making his way back into the stream of ponies passing by. The day was still young, the air was still cool, and he had a whole laundry list of Very Important Things to do today.

Finding a pile of gold to roll around on? Right at the top of that list.

[[ Exit ]]

kafyBGS.jpg

Archived