(Canterlot) Out of Her Element (Open)

Lux

Night smiled as Swift gave a short but caring response to her monologue about stopping the changelings. She knew that he shared her interest in justice and keeping others safe. Before when she met him she wondered about his stance on justice being a mercenary. The more that they conversed the more they found more in common with each other than differently.

As Night moved on from her salad and rice to her oh so wonderful dessert she watched as Swift immediately got tense when she asked about accompanying him. It wasn't just that he was unwilling to have her join him but that he would not return to Unyasi. It surprised her at such a reaction seeing as he was comfortable enough to go to a Unyasi restaurant and talk about the place. With her dessert ended, Night was surprised to to see Swift stand so abruptly followed by a clearly fake cheery tone, one that Swift even knew that he forced.

"Night it's isn't about you. I don't mind having a traveling company just....not into Unyasi. And please don't ask. I don't want to talk about it...yet. Maybe in future but...not now."

"I see that this place is something personal to you and I apologize for bringing up painful memories. Was it a mistake to recommend going to a Unysai restaurant? I didn't want to bring up any bad memories just wanting to go somewhere different."

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Squall gave Night a long, studious look before sighing.

"Night you shouldn't apologize for about something you had no way to know. That, and the fact that whatever the pain there is, it's justly deserved." unicorn said, no doubt shocking the mare.

"Sometimes you do something good only after realizing how bad you screwed up. I cleared up as much injustice back then as I could....and I still do, if not for their land then ours. But there are some things that can't be repaired. Coming here was not mistake, for I am fond of Unyasi and most it brings, but I have no right to stand on it's soil again." he paused before adding "And before you asks, no judge declared this, other then myself. If you still wondering what's this is all about, check some old newspapers." unicorn dropped a whimsical hint. He didn't sound angry just...tired...and maybe repentant.

At this moment, the waitress showed up again. After a short small talk in her native language, Squall paid the bill.

"However I didn't lied about need of checking one more place. If I didn't put you off, then I more then welcome you to accompany me."

Somehow the play of lights made him look...lorn? Brooding? Whatever it was, it was clear that his mood was horrible. It was doubtful if rejection of his offer could worsen it anymore.

It was a bad habit for Night watcher to continually apologize. Her role as a Staff Sergeant meant that she had not only herself to tend to but others as well and when there was a lapse or a problem it rested on her shoulders to fix and to take the blame for. What shocked her though was that Swift mentioned that his discomfort he felt for returning to Unyasi was justified. It wasn't something the unicorn looked angry about, just saddened and that his life at least in part was filled with trying to reconcile for whatever happened.

"Well old habits do die hard," Night replied, "My default reaction to things is apologizing or thanks as I must accept all praise or blame for myself and those who serve under me in my squad. I hope though that one day you can reconcile whatever happened especially with yourself."

Having said what she could about it from the scant details that Swift mentioned, Swift offered her a chance at another stop if she wasn't upset.

"Swift, it takes a lot to put me off or upset me and I'm thankful for giving me this time to do things I wouldn't normally do in my daily life. So wherever you want to show me next it will be fine."

"I try not to rely on hope too much. It can be scary but...thanks." unicorn smiled slightly, his face brightening a little.

"Let's not dwell here anymore." Squall said, leading the way outside, back to the Canterlot street before stopping the nearest cab.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

There destination turned out, was neighborhood situated near the mountain side. The wall of rock towered over the district, being just high enough to set it into perpetual twilight without actually plunging it into the darkness. The before the pair stopped by was especially noteworthy house. Large, but not to the point that it could be called villa, and it was situated right at the edge, with only barrier of rocks present behind it.

"One of many that I happen to own. Give me a minute, which pair of key it was?" Swift mutered, as he pulled out quite big keyring. It didn't escaped Night attention that it also had a plaque attached to it that read 'Canterlot'.

"This one." noblepony proclaimed when the lock finally gave up.

The insides were set up stylishly, but it wasn't possible to miss that everything was rather dusty. It had to be quite a while since Squall set his hoof here. Noticing that the black mare scanned her surroundings Squall waved his hoof nonchalantly.

"This thing are here just to conceal what's really important. Follow me." he said, leading her to a large grandfather clock standing in saloon.

"That would be a little too clitche, don't you think?" he asked, ignoring the clock and instead touching first the wall, and then the ceiling above them. Night could see that the second part wasn't possible to interact with without magic, or at least a stool or other furniture to reach it.

"Night, you showed some trust in me and so I will return this trust. I believe that I can have your word that you will not speak to anypony what you are about to see without my permission, isn't it?" he asked. Afterwards he walked to the wall opposite to the one he touched first, an at the very sight of the Night, she could see that large of the floor slided, raveling the staircase below.

Night knew when to best leave things alone and when to press a matter further. This was a time to let things pass until perhaps one day Swift felt more comfortable revealing more.

In an instant she and her friend were whisked away to another part of town, one that the mare was familiar being on patrols as a place of many town homes and villas clinging to the side of the cliffs and offering a very picturesque view of Equestria below. It reflected a well to do part of the city while not giving into the opulence that other parts displayed. However this time she found herself at the door of a very inconspicuous looking place as Swift looked for the key. She noted that one read Canterlot on it which made her wonder exactly how many other places this enigmatic pony had.

"Do you have a place in every city Swift?"

She followed him in to see that this place was not regualrly used. it was by no means filthy but had the layer of dust from disuse. She watched as the stallion tapped two secret places.

"Night, you showed some trust in me and so I will return this trust. I believe that I can have your word that you will not speak to anypony what you are about to see without my permission, isn't it?"

Night wondered what secret could be found inside the place that was grand enough not to tell. But she did trust him enough to know there would be nothing to strange or dangerous to see.

"I promise that I will not speak of this place nor show it to anypony else."

She watched as the floor gave way to steps as she peered into the depths, wondering what was in the darkness.

As Squall struggled with the keys, he heard a question coming from the Lunar Guard. He paused for a moment to give her an answer.

"In every major one at least. Exceptions being Fet Loch, Hoofenheim and Talonpolis. I working with the first two to remedy that. About Aquelia capital....well they not fond of me there." he shrugged like it was not a big deal and continued to fight the door lock.

"In some cities, I have more then one place like Manehattan or Stalliongrad. It's not hard to be honest. Dad can be newspaper baron but the family fortune was started by Grandad, who is real estate dealer. I didn't inherited their talent for starting my own company,and I lack interest in that as well, but they taught me enough to buy shares in non-family businesses. Either way I have both the capital and priority when it comes to buying."

When Night gave her word, Squall made a barely noticeable nod. She didn't actually had to say it, for Swift knew her well enough already to acknowledge that she would keep the secret.

"I lead the way if you don't mind." stallion said, taking first steps into deep, dark below. Well now not so dark, since his own magic lighted the way, but it was still deep nonetheless. Finally the descent ended and they ended up facing the large door. Night couldn't not notice that they were heavily armored, and thin symbols on the edges suggested it was not just physical protection either. Besides them, much more eye-drawing was something that resembled a clock dial, but unlike it sported numbers from zero to nine.

"It will only take a moment." he assured her before telekinetic pressing the numbers. They flashed with blue light as his magic interacted with them, but even if he only eight times, Squall did it so fast it was next to impossible to remember the number.

"Password: Si vis pacem, para iustitiam." noblepony said, and finally the door allowed them entry. For something that looked so heavy, they moves out of the way easily and silently when Squall pushed them.

Swordpony thorough them and uttered only one word.

"On."

At his command, the space their were in illuminated. One by one, light sources awakened to life, illuminating a large cave - four times the size of the house above.

The most numerous of lights, was a lamps. But not the normal ones, oh no. Those appeared to be a magical, crystal lamps, made from materials from the Empire itself. So was the large flat panel. It too made of pink crystal - probably a corundum. It displayed the wall sized map of Canterlot City, along with the castle - as it would be seen from above. There were a lot of light and symbols flashing on it, implying it was intractable in magical way.

From the left of it was long row of partially glass cases. Armor cases or rather body armor to be precise. It didn't contained antiques however, it's containments instead appearing to be state of art, latest achievements of enchantment magic, armor smithing, technology or all three, making the REA armor looking like a poor pony substitute. Opposite to them were displayed weapons of all kinds and shapes, with plaques describing against what particular foe their were designed for. Apparently Swift armed himself against all monsters of Equestria and beyond, yet the mare could notice the lack of ranged weaponry - aside from throwing blades - propably reflecting the owners preference. Still, this was enough to lead a small assault on the Castle itself.

"Not all of them are finished. Some are a failed prototypes I keep for various reasons. And before you ask, no I didn't made them" Squall said, as they walked past them, and on the small stairs leading half level below. Here was standing a very impressive desk, that had attached another crystal lamp, along with mounting lenses. Embedded into the rock walls were many bookshelves. Even from her standing position black mare could see some of the titles. The topic wared, some were about the beasts of the land, other dedicated to combating dark sorcery, ancient history of Equestria and surrounding nations, countering the poisons, medicine etc. On the same level was something that appeared to be laboratory table that reminded of the ones that crime investigators used, with many strange tools, and devices that appeared to be used as safety reasons. Like the fire extinguisher under it.

There were other wonders in this enormous grotto, too many to look for at once. But one was apparent. All of this equipment no doubt was worth millions of bits.

"So...this is one of the...how should I say it? 'Dens' I made. Any questions Night?"

Night was amazed at how extensive his network was in each major city, sometimes more in one. While it was understood that a pony of his wealth could afford maybe one for each place if nothing more than to skip having to find a hotel or stay with friends more than one seemed excessive like the stallion appeared to need places to go an a moment's notice. Was his job as a mercenary so dangerous that it required places in emergency? More importantly, how did the REA not know of such a network?

She nodded as Swift went first, the two ponies beginning their descent. It became clear that the house was just a ruse and what she would see next was the true place. She watched as Swift punched in the numbers and uttered a phrase in some old Equestrian language as the magically barred door opened. The things inside baffled Night as she looked about the room. She stared at the magical map that flashed intermittently, the armor that trumped her own and even the books on varied in topics.

"Where do I start with the questions? This place looks like something a superhero would have only real. You said that you didn't make the armor and weapons. If not you, who did?"

Squall nodded again when Night compared the cave to some superhero headquarters. He didn't think about this or any other hidden places as such, but now that she mentioned it he couldn't not agree.
"I can see from where you coming, but I have to say it wasn't my inspiration." stallion said while walking back up. Knowing that the mare followed him he continued.
"After some many attack on Equestria....Discord, Changeling's, Tirek...I realized that simple garrisons that Army maintained in cities wouldn't suffice. Oh don't get me wrong, you guys doing a good job." Squall gave Night an assuring look
"But such enemies - it wouldn't be a exaggeration to call them 'super villans' isn't it? - Is a little too much for you to chew. The sad reality is such, that Equestria simply can't afford to spent millions of bits for every single soldier." he knocked the glass cover of one of the armor cases for emphasis.
"But I can. How this will turn out, I don't know. This is something that I am still planning,preparing....and pondering. But I realized that whatever outcome would be, it wouldn't be unwise to be a little prepared. And honestly, we living at such strange times that it's impossible to point where the overkill begins." he explained with a light shrug.
"This is one of three best equipped....dwellings? Whatever. Pulling things down here is not actually hard. Just a bunch of teleportation scrolls, the one's you can write the coordinates yourself. And magically moving inanimate objects isn't as hard as with living beings. No, the real problem is a space for everything that I want to fit inside. This one was easy. Canterlot is laying on top of the mountain rage, and has extensive cave network underneath. This set of caverns was naturally separate from the others, although I later build hidden passage to link it with the rest. I realized that having alternate exit could save the life of somepony, if it happen to be trapped in the grottoes, like Princess Mi Amore. Besides that hidden way, and the one we came in, there is no other exists. Digging to it is out of question, it may don't look like it, but there is three hooves of solid steel from every direction. Again, moved in magically. You can still port inside, but again you need to know coordinates, and I already working to counter that." Squall walked to the other set of shelves. Those one for a change, contained documents. Night could see that some of them were labeled REA. Swift himself gave a quick glance at what Night was looking for and offered explanation.
"Criminal Records. I admit, I had to bed a few rules to get the copies, but there are for my use only, and it already brought the fruit. Without them I would have a much more trouble catching some of those troublemakers. In the end information is most powerful weapon of all. I hope you recall a breakout from Songdusk Prison?" he said, to stir mare memory.
Unicorn pulled one of file holders from the shelf, before opening it on the nearest table for Night to see.
"This is the second from the three I mentioned, the one in Manhattan. Seeing that it's most populated city in Equestria, I judged that I have to make one there. I used old subway tunnels no longer in use. City architects refused tear them down. One reason it that I happened to buy them, so they need my permission first. But there is a bigger one aboveground."
Noblepony turned the page raveling the two-layer map. One layer was showing underground, exposing the extensive subway network of Big Apple. The other one however showed what was over it.
"Yup, Maredison Round Garden. Unless they willing to bulldoze the city landmark, I doubt that they will ever touch the tunnels below. Of course I made preparation of my own. I sealed them, not unlike this cave, and made renovations. There are no longer rails inside, but I can say that there are otherwise in better shape then others." he expressed his opinion. The pegasus soldier could hear a little pride, in so far humble pony. He closed the holder and put it back on it;s place.

"And the last one, happens to be under ancient estate of my family, the Squallcoast Manor. It's...You know, I won't spoil it for you. I have a feeling that you will see it for yourself sooner or later. But I can already tell you, it have twelve times more space then caves we are in right now - and it's just the space I put to use. You can hide airship down there with ease. I discovered that under the hills, there is entire underground lake, along with a river, and judging from the water analysis I ordered, it still have connection to the sea" swordpony explained, how there could be so extensive cave system, under fairly flat region like a Strand.

"But I digressed again. You were asking about weapons and armor, weren't you Night? As I said, those are not my creations. I acquired many skills, but smithing arts are not one of them. The sources wary. Some are gifts from acquaintances, and one close friend who make a living making those. Others I confiscated from various criminals and evil does. See this cutlass? It belonged to nopony other then the Pirate Bluebeard. It's tip points north on command, it has power to cut any rope, and changes trajectory of the projectiles that wielder can see, so he or she won't be hit by them. Some I bought on auctions, not unlike the one we were today - either myself or by proxy. Part of those were made on request, from famous crafter. And few pieces I simply picked up from my travels, in ruins, shipwrecks etc."

Night hoped that her mentioning of superheroes didn't make the grandeur of Swift's hidden place any less nor to make it look like that her position as Lunar Guard would be any less. But he did agree that the similarities were uncanny.

After some many attack on Equestria....Discord, Changeling's, Tirek...I realized that simple garrisons that Army maintained in cities wouldn't suffice. Oh don't get me wrong, you guys doing a good job."

"No offense taken. I know that when it comes to handling problems from mere ponies or griffons disturbing the peace then we are prepared but with those that you mentioned I have to admit we are not yet equipped to handle these creatures that threaten our area. Our only hope is better intelligence and better preparedness."

Night knew it was impossible to fund every member of the army with the armor, weapons, and technology that she could see here. Even Swift didn't know exactly what he would use these places for just that he would have them in case. Sometimes over planning was better than under planning. Hearing how the stallion explained that there was a series of caverns below the city once used for mining Night realized how such a space came to be. She did not like to send guards below though as the labyrinth of tunnels had yet to be charted and could lead to more search parties pulling guards out than doing any good traveling through the city. There were others too, hiding in plain sight under important buildings.

"Oh yes, I do remember that break out. Took quite some time to find and recapture all who escaped but our knowledge of our surroundings were more that the prisoners thankfully and this gave us an edge. I can see though how weapons and armor confiscated, bought or found could be used in your favor."

Something though came to mind looking at all the files of criminals and the places where Swift had his places.

"I have to ask you something, are you not only watching for criminals but also us at the REA? I only ask this seeing how close you seem to know about us and yet make attempts to be hidden."

Squall again nodded when she recalled the prison break.

"You did fantastic job back then. But you weren't alone." he said. It was quite clear what Squall was implying. That he himself was present them as well, helping out with nopony beside himself any wiser.

But then came a rather interesting question.

"I had no reason to hoard such data as it is now. I have enough acquaintances in the REA and REIN as it is that I can keep things legal. They are rumors..." unicorn paused. Again, he didn't wished to offend his new friend in any way. Swift knew already how much of a patriot she was.

"...Rumors that there are some members of both that...not quite stick to the oath of upholding the law. However I am not willing to stick my nose into those. Knocking criminals is one thing, but if there is any 'dirt' in the ranks, Army have to clear them itself. Unless I would go...really, really bad I keeping my distance from REA inner workings."

Squall walked further through the cave, giving the black mare the signs to follow him.

"This is my alchemy cabinet. Working with the concoctions is not one of my talents, so I have an very precise manuals..." he waved at couple of alchemy books strewn around on the work tables. "But I manage to do at least basic potions. Others I need to buy from professionals. For that reason I tend to stock on some rarer integuments, in case they would be sparse. As such, I can always take them to elixir master, to receive what I need. Those bottles are magical, so I can store those components indefinitely, but already prepared liquids are innately magical, so it doesn't work on them. Some I can keep for a long times other have to be done on demand." he take a careful look on some of those after mentioned potions.

"Some are past expiration date. I have to replace them." he informed, closing the cupboard.

"But this is just one of the reasons I am here. Other is linked with the other cave I am mentioned, one beneath my manor in Fillydelphia."

Night smiled as Swift admitted that he was there during the prison break out. Looking back at that even things were very chaotic as she tried to quell the situation but she remembered another there in the blink of an eye, not a soldier and not a prisoner. She chalked it up to the craziness of the moment, a figment of her imagination. Now though it was no illusion. The topic did shift then to what he knew about the REA. It was a relief that he didn't spy on the group she was in as it would be unsettling being watched while she was tasked to watch others. But then a revelation came from his sources that was very troubling.

"...Rumors that there are some members of both that...not quite stick to the oath of upholding the law. However I am not willing to stick my nose into those. Knocking criminals is one thing, but if there is any 'dirt' in the ranks, Army have to clear them itself. Unless I would go...really, really bad I keeping my distance from REA inner workings."

"Are you saying that some soldiers aren't working hard enough or it it that they're turning a blind eye to things? I also have to ask, do you know how far up the chain of command it goes?"

While going through her mental list of soldiers and wondering who is upholding the law and who is turning away from it, Night noticed that Swift had a small but useful alchemy area which like the place itself was unused for some time. There were even those past their date, an unsettling thought knowing that certain potions when left unused could be explosive.

"I hope none of them are explosives that are past their date. I don't know much about alchemy other than detecting what certain things are and how to tell there is a lab in an area. We do use certain things that are alchemical like sleep gas and flash bang pellets. What's in the tunnel that you need to explore?"

• 1 month later...

"That's is something that I have still to determine." Squall answered Night's question about extend of corruption in Army ranks. "Any evidence I collected is both insufficient and indecisive."

Squall paused rubbing his chin.

"However I can tell you this, I contacted various specialists in field of psychology and resource planning...without telling them it was about criminal activity. What they concluded was that most of this...come from one source." noblepony said. This sinister revelation was spoiled somewhat by slightly pink light of the crystal lights. Stallion sighted and picked up from where he left.
"Anyway...as I told, I have no idea how far further tentacles of this...trouble goes. However I know at least far enough to pluck the fruits of Project Enceladus..."
Only now swordpony realized just what he said, he turned around and faced his pegasus companion.
"I am sorry, you must have no idea what I am talking about. And I said too much. Please forget about that last sentence." Swift asked, although he doubted that she will drop it. Night was an Army officer and as such probably will be in investigative mood.

"Regarding your other questions, yes, I dispose of those potions responsibly. If I want explosives, I choose the stable ones. And there is no need to explore. I mapped this caves, along the ones under my Mansion in Filly long ago. No, we going to something I tucked in the corner."

As they walked through the passage, they arrived into another grotto. It was still impressive, but not as the main one.
"Now where it..." he was interrupted by sudden, large flock of bats. Their flapping wings filling the eyes of both ponies, with chirps and squeaks doing the same for ears. Luckily they were gone before either Squall or Watcher could move.
"Yes, that happens sometimes Since I opened the passage to other caverns they moved in. That proves there is natural opening somewhere. Shame that Princess Cadance wasn't able to find it back then. Still, bat can squeeze through the tighter spaces then the pony."

Squall fell silent, pondering what outcome would be if the Princess Mi Amora would get free sooner. It wasn't for long however, after all Swift played the role of the host and he had a guest.
"Sorry, got lost in thoughts again. Now back to business. Where it...There it is!"

They arrived to the large, crystal panel. It was very similar to the one displaying the map of Canterlot in earlier grotto - this one however was cerulean blue instead of pink and completely featureless. Lower part of it's frame was a different story. With magically interactive runes, buttons and stone switches. It didn't escape the Night that non of the parts seemed to be from metal.
"Now then...what hour is it? You don't happen to have the watch with you Night?" Squall asked, searching his own pockets.

Night knew that no organization was perfect not even the REA. But she knew that soldiers she interacted with appeared to be truthful as it was her duty to know the truth as much as it was to protect others. But there was something that the stallion mentioned, something that sent a chill up her spine.

"You mean to tell me that there are spies in the REA and are linked to a single organization? I have heard none of this, not from my superiors, not from intelligence, not even from the Princesses. Can it be there is this group that is so covert to everypony?"

Her thoughts were interrupted by the sudden swarm of bats that flooded the area. She wasn't afraid of them but still was shocked by their arrival. She then turned her attention to a strange device tucked in the corner. It looked crystalline in design, maybe something from the Crystal Empire.

"Let me check," Night said looking at a watch on her one arm, "It appears to be three in the afternoon. Does this have something to do with this machine you have?"

"What? you didn't know? Night....it should be obvious that there are spies. Other countries have spies in our services, we have spies in theirs that's how it works And regarding not knowing...well they wold be a rather poor spies if everpony would know, isn't it?" Squall gave a rather sarcastic rhetorical question. Still he had a feeling he missed something.

"Oh you mean spies working for one employer? In such case no, I can't say such thing...simply because there is no solid proof." he turned around to work on strange panel. There were some buttons and levers and winders...
"Even the most convincing suspicion is still suspicion without hard evidence. Specialists can be wrong. Heck it can even be work of our counter-intelligence to plant misinformation for other spies. he paused at his work and glanced backwards at the black mare.
"What I am saying instead is - be wary about what you hear in you work. Think about the orders you receive. There may be Element of Loyalty, but I didn't heard about Element of Trust." he returned to the machinery but didn't stopped talking
"That's another reason why I didn't stayed in the Army I think. I can't follow orders without question, explanation. Maybe that's the reason why there aren't that any unicorn that do good old infantry work in general. Our sub-species tend to think, sometimes too much."

"Let me check," Night said looking at a watch on her one arm, "It appears to be three in the afternoon. Does this have something to do with this machine you have?"

"
Well that would be about right time. And now...."
At this words, Swift Squall rosed his hoof and pressed a Big...Blue Button.
At first nothing happened...with prompted the noblepony to speak at the machine.
"Oak Branch can you hear me? Please say you do. It would be such a big waste of time otherwise."

There was a short moment of silence before the both ponies could hear the swoosh and voice that certainly didn't belonged to any of them.
"Well enough Master Squall. But still I have no vision." said the voice. Despite the static, the pegasus could tell that it belonged to pony older the Squall, and it's owner was male.
"Me either. It may be very well be impediment on my end. I can't exactly see the sky from where I am, but so can't you on yours. Still this inventor wasn't so crazy after all it seems."
"I assure you Master Squall, the weather is clear here in Fillydelphia."

"What? you didn't know? Night....it should be obvious that there are spies. Other countries have spies in our services, we have spies in theirs that's how it works And regarding not knowing...well they wold be a rather poor spies if everypony would know, isn't it?" 

Night glared at Swift when he made the comment about spies. Surely he didn't think that she was that naive to assume that there were no spies around. But before she could try to clear things up, Swift realized that she was talking about a single spy organization infiltrating the REA to which he did not know for certain.

"Well I can certainly say that I don't blindly follow orders. Every order I received was important and for the good of protecting ponies or foreign dignitaries visiting. I can't honestly think of an order that was suspicious. Maybe I was lucky enough not to receive one or maybe because I was seen as a mare who guarded trust carefully I have not encountered any suspicious orders. And I don't think it is a species thing either as there are Pegasus and earth ponies that do over think things and carefully analyze situations even in the military. While we are told to follow orders when we face a situation on our own we are the ones that must not hesitate and make our own judgment calls and react quickly yet carefully."

Night watched as the unicorn fiddled with the buttons on the mysterious machine and then began to speak with it as if talking to another unseen pony. She wondered what was the reason why he was essentially talking to a wall, but the biggest surprise was when the machine talked back to him, giving a weather report. 

"You have a machine that you can communicate from here in Canterlot to Fillydelphia? Amazing." 

• 2 weeks later...

"....." unicorn paused in his doings as he listened to Night words. And he didn't returned to work for a second or two after she finished later. Was he going to berate her? Thinking about snarky retort? He started to pick up back at calibrating strange machine before he spoke.

"You think about what you do Night. How many does does not? How many others goes from order to order before break to pick yet another donut? No Night, the problem is that for many many soldiers being the Guard stopped becoming the calling and became just another job. A dangerous job to be sure, but so it's being the firefighter or lion tamer. One changeling needs to mask him or herself as an officer - if even for a moment - to make a distribution. Too many lost that dedication...dedication for justice." Squall paused and turned around to look at black mare.

"Not you through. You are like me Night, perhaps even more noble. You didn't lost that kind of passion that drives ponies like us, that 'Eye of the Tiger'. You kept it, instead for trading it for peace or glory." noblepony nodded, more like to himself then her apparently, before focusing again at the machine.

"You have a machine that you can communicate from here in Canterlot to Fillydelphia? Amazing." 

"To be honest, we should have vision too. Well no matter. Roam wasn't build in a day. This inventor did fantastic job regardless. I need to reward her accordingly." Swift commented.

"Master Squall...are you having somepony with you back there? I could swore I heard another voice."

"You are not wrong Oak. Worry not, my companion here is mare to be trusted. Since we at it, anything to report besides testing?"

"Actually...yes Sir. Full House Gang made another breakout from their confinement. Although they apparently didn't decided to stay in city this time."

"They will return. They always do. Ughh and City Council still insist that Fillydelphia don't need new prison on Thorngate Island? Honestly from all of them only Councilstallion Myth Siege and Councilmare Gold Disc have enough common sense to recognize the problem." unicorn complained.

"So it seems Sir. Does it means that you will return shortly?"

"No. Gang's out of the city to lose some heat that is on themselves. Once the situation calm down they will be back to their old routine like they always do. That's be moment when I will rout them. Until that point there is no hurry with returning. That and I still have some unfinished things. For example I feel that ball of cheese for Dunder wouldn't be enough. I need to get something more...permanent."

"Very well Sir. I wish you good time."

"Same to you Oak. Take some time for yourself. Signing out."

With that words Swift turned off the communication machine.

"Well that would be it. Nothing else to do here unless you wish me to show you around some more. That and you have without a doubt some more questions." stallion made guess at pegasus mare intentions.

In her encounter with Swift Squall, Night Watcher was able to weigh the positives and negatives of the unicorn. Sure he was intelligent and caring about the safety of other no doubt. But there seemed to be a habit of his to sound snarky when retorting him. Maybe it was because of his obvious wealthy upbringing. Certainly Night had her run in with the "better than thou" ponies in Canterlot while on patrol, those that felt that they could do as they pleased because of their amount of bits to their name. Maybe it was also that Swift was alone and to her knowledge had no best friends of his own. It wasn't something that grated on her, but she still hoped that he saw her as not just some unaware mare.She waited as the stallion would inevitably speak of her knowledge. 

"You think about what you do Night. How many does does not? How many others goes from order to order before break to pick yet another donut? No Night, the problem is that for many many soldiers being the Guard stopped becoming the calling and became just another job. A dangerous job to be sure, but so it's being the firefighter or lion tamer. One changeling needs to mask him or herself as an officer - if even for a moment - to make a distribution. Too many lost that dedication...dedication for justice." Squall paused and turned around to look at black mare.

"Not you through. You are like me Night, perhaps even more noble. You didn't lost that kind of passion that drives ponies like us, that 'Eye of the Tiger'. You kept it, instead for trading it for peace or glory."

"Thank you," Night said regarding the compliment, "You are right, I do see guards go through their day with as much passion or care as any other pony who are simply working rather than enjoying what they do. I think that many want the prestige its true, but I think it's complacency. We are in general peaceful, even though I know that there is always an opportunity for that to be shattered. But many just give into this peace and relax, and then when something bad does happen it takes them off guard. Although looking it another way, I think I became too much on guard that I never felt like I could relax, until now though when had to opportunity to see the city with you." 

She watched as the stallion spoke to the faceless butler who mentioned a certain gang loose on the streets. Although she knew of certain gangs or organizations this Full House Gang was one she didn't know of. 

"So I have to ask since you brought up the way that guards have become stuck in a routine, was that one of the reasons that you decided to fight crime by yourself? And speaking of crime, how many gangs and solo criminals are you watching anyway?" 

• 2 weeks later...

"Although looking it another way, I think I became too much on guard that I never felt like I could relax, until now though when had to opportunity to see the city with you.

"There is time and place for everything Night." he replied "And if you don't mind there is still more to show. Canterlot changes when dusk comes down, you know it well as a Lunar Guard. However I can take you to the places you usually wouldn't come to visit on the patrol." Squall added

"The reason being...there is not much crime to see there." stallion explained as he turned away from the machine, heading back to the main cavern - with pegasus following him hopefully.

"So I have to ask since you brought up the way that guards have become stuck in a routine, was that one of the reasons that you decided to fight crime by yourself? And speaking of crime, how many gangs and solo criminals are you watching anyway?" 

"Ahh but I am not fighting it myself. There are those who are helping me. And in other sense there are other ones too, who do just like myself. Certainly you heard about those...masked ponies and not-ponies that took about themselves to make justice? Not unlike those superheroes from the comics." unicorn informed the black pony as the kept moving.

"To be honest I am not entirely sure. I don't monitor every single thug in the Strand. Still number of those errr 'noticeable' criminals is big enough that I can say that I now have my own rouge's gallery."

"There is time and place for everything Night." he replied "And if you don't mind there is still more to show. Canterlot changes when dusk comes down, you know it well as a Lunar Guard. However I can take you to the places you usually wouldn't come to visit on the patrol." Squall added

"The reason being...there is not much crime to see there."

Night nodded knowing now there was a time to be on guard and a time to let her guard down and relax. It was a delicate tightrope she had to walk, one that sometimes she found herself falling to the side of thinking that the monsters were out there and acting like it was her against them. But not that was done as Night followed Swift to the main cavern.

"That would be fine seeing these places," the Lunar Guard replied wondering what places he meant that were relatively crime free. While they made their exit, Night listened as Swift didn't answer her question entirely but added something very interesting, a hint that there were others like him who operated in the law but sought justice by themselves without the constraints of the life of a guard. 

"We as Lunar Guards heard about certain occasions where masked ponies would bring somepony or creature to justice, but not as organized as you are it seems. Some I hear work with the guards as a sort of city watch, being an extra set of eyes and ears, but some... not so much. The later sometimes from what we found feel wronged by us in the REA and want to take matters in their own hooves, which I'm sure you know can be very tempting when justice starts to look like revenge.As for superheroes, I definitely see the similarities of these crime fighters. Again that can be dangerous as to basing their crime fighting off of comics because of the fame of being a hero."

• 2 weeks later...

"Fame of being a hero huh?" Squall muttered as he lead the way. "Well I certainly ain't one, I just doing...community service. Besides I would never want to be a superhero." he said before turning around.

"But anyway...law and justice. This isn't topic to be discussed in just one day, and probably would be better if it as done in public. As I mentioned earlier, to few ponies bother to think about higher things then their everyday lives. Such debate would bring public recognition but...." Squall waved his hooves before he proceeded walking. Clearly any businesses he had in this secret cave was done, as he lead black mare back to the surface.

"And speaking of which....fame...be careful with it, if you gain some Night . It can be fickle thing, a double edged sword as likely to cut you as to serve you goals. Some ponies feel naturally basking in it, others can't stand it's presence. From my experience...it has it's uses, but most of the time is just source of vexation."

With those words the pair finally emerged from the hidden stairway When the pair was standing back on the houses floor. The panel that hid the descent closed with the scrunch as they gazed on it.

"But enough of this unpleasant things. I promised to be the guide and so I will be. But we need some preparations." said the noblepony as he very thoughtfully eyed Night Watcher.

"First. You need a dress."

Night nodded as Swift explained that he wasn't doing all this for fame. It certainly didn't seem that way to her as many ponies trying to play the hero for fame did so half prepared and the facade of wanting to help other would quickly give way to being seen as one who wanted all to notice them. 

"And speaking of which....fame...be careful with it, if you gain some Night . It can be fickle thing, a double edged sword as likely to cut you as to sever you goals. Some ponies feel naturally basking in it, others can't stand it's presence. From my experience...it has it's uses, but most of the time is just source of vexation."

"Really I never was one to care about fame as like you said it can be dangerous. A pony can lose themselves in the spotlight and forget about what their goals were besides popularity. If ponies are safe then that's all the drive I need. Still if a pony wishes to congratulate me then I will certainly accept it." 

"But enough of this unpleasant things. I promised to be the guide and so I will be. But we need some preparations." said the noblepony as he very thoughtfully eyed Night Watcher.

"First. You need a dress."

A dress? That was certainly something that Night didn't expect from the stallion, even though he appeared to be full of surprises. 

"You're going to probably thinking I'm kidding, but honestly I never worn a dress, well none besides my military dress for formal occasions. Do you know somewhere where one can get a dress at the last minute like this?" 

• 3 weeks later...

"Really I never was one to care about fame as like you said it can be dangerous. A pony can lose themselves in the spotlight and forget about what their goals were besides popularity. If ponies are safe then that's all the drive I need. Still if a pony wishes to congratulate me then I will certainly accept it."

"Good. Hold on on that belief. There is a pride...and then there is a pride. One far more dangerous, and doom leading. But I suppose you aren't a mare who is possible to go astray by such thing. Too much moral fibre in you to do so." said the stoic unicorn before flashing a slight smile.

"You're going to probably thinking I'm kidding, but honestly I never worn a dress, well none besides my military dress for formal occasions. Do you know somewhere where one can get a dress at the last minute like this?" 

"Then there is first time for everything Night. Life is to experienced not told about. Such privilege has only those departed." when black mare mentioned military dress, swordpony wave a hoof dismissively.

"That's not a real deal, and will not do where we are going. This event has a strict dress code. And neither would you be able to buy one on time, there are measurements and other things usually going with it, things we don't have time for. Luckily there is a place where you can rent one. And this is where we are going now."

As they walked towards there destination Squall was silent for a while, before picking a new topic.

"You said you never had occasion to wear one....you didn't took much time for yourself before, am I right?"

"Good. Hold on on that belief. There is a pride...and then there is a pride. One far more dangerous, and doom leading. But I suppose you aren't a mare who is possible to go astray by such thing. Too much moral fibre in you to do so." 

"Pride goeth before a fall," Night said as if remembering something she was told, "My father told me that when I was a filly." 

Swift didn't think she was crazy admitting her lack of attending social events outside of the military or that she never owned a dress. He mentioned having to experiencing things for herself rather than hearing about them. 

"Well that is exactly what I wanted to do today, experiencing things. I know there are three types of ponies when it comes to experience: those who make things happen, those who wait for things to happen and those who wonder what happen." 

She wondered if there was going to be a problem not having a dress and not having time to get one made to fit her measurements. It wasn't to say she was much different from other mares, perhaps slightly taller and more athletic looking due to her training. But Swift came with the idea of a rental shop for dresses. 

"You said you never had occasion to wear one....you didn't took much time for yourself before, am I right?"

"I think the more I am spending this day with you the more I realize that I don't take much time. The funny thing was that before I was a Lunar Guard was I cared more about myself than others. I was a rebellious filly and my parents being in the military I wanted nothing to do with that. Pride, yeah I had much of that, but when I got my mark and joined the military all that rebelliousness and pride went away but so did my focus on things besides the Lunar Guard. Guess I need to find a balance between duty and my own life." 

"You have wise father then." Squall complimented the mare, summing up the topic.

"Well that is exactly what I wanted to do today, experiencing things. I know there are three types of ponies when it comes to experience: those who make things happen, those who wait for things to happen and those who wonder what happen." 

"There is also the fourth, the wisest. One who wonder what to make, who wait at the right time, and finally act. But if I would had to say which one I am...that would be the first of them." said the stallion in self-deprecation. "But enough, we need to find you appropriate clothing." Squall dismissed the issue with a wave of his hoof.

"The funny thing was that before I was a Lunar Guard was I cared more about myself than others. I was a rebellious filly and my parents being in the military I wanted nothing to do with that. Pride, yeah I had much of that, but when I got my mark and joined the military all that rebelliousness and pride went away but so did my focus on things besides the Lunar Guard. " 

"Huh....you are very similar to her. Except a little more serious and brooding." Squall said to himself under his breath. She remembered well his special somepony stories about how she used to be bully herself. Unicorn shook his head and smiled. He really tended to meet that kind of mare.

"But back to the dress issue. There are more establishments that rents garments then you would guess Night. Of course since - as you said - you didn't took much interest in it, it's understandable. how about this one?" noblepony pointed at the display on their right. From the looks of it the clothes they were very classy. And very very expensive.

"Let's take a peak. And if you choose something...well let's say it's on my tab."

It was interesting to hear Swift's point of view on wisdom, and as he mentioned the fourth type of pony, Night knew that there were few who were like that. Thoese were ones she looked up to the most but she still was satisfied to being one who makes things happy. As she went to the store, she heard Swift mutter something under his breath but what it was the Lunar Guard could only guess. 

"But back to the dress issue. There are more establishments that rents garments then you would guess Night. Of course since - as you said - you didn't took much interest in it, it's understandable. how about this one?" 

"Oh I've seen some of them during my patrols but of course being at night they were closed," she replied looking at the store chosen, "That looks like a good place to start." 

Night felt bad that Swift kept shelling out his money for her and seeing what was in the window of the store the clothes were not going to be cheap even to rent. She could only hope that one day she could repay him, maybe not with money but something else. She entered the store which was nicely divided down the middle with clothes for stallions on one side and mares on the other. She glanced over at the racks trying to figure which color first would be best for her. White wasn't good as she feared it would easily get messy. There was a red dress but it looked too big. Her eyes then settled on a blue dress which sparkled like stars on a night sky. 

"I think I found one, but let me try it on," Night said as she went to the nearby dressing room. A few minutes later she appeared feeling slightly awkward but actually better too. 

"So, what do you think Swift?" 

Archived