Where's the friend System?

Canterlot did have a 'Friend' system at one time. It was tied into a built-in instant messaging system that would alert you when friends were online. The IM system was causing problems with the server, so it had to be shut down. After that, the Friend list was removed, since without the IM system, the admin we had at the time felt it was pointless.

Canterlot did have a 'Friend' system at one time. It was tied into a built-in instant messaging system that would alert you when friends were online. The IM system was causing problems with the server, so it had to be shut down. After that, the Friend list was removed, since without the IM system, the admin we had at the time felt it was pointless.

Well, I think you should restart it since Now whenever your friend posts a status you can be notified.

In practise it seemed to lead to some users "collecting" friends in an effort to boost their profile on the site and perceived popularity. Not having it could be seen as putting people on equal ground and stresses Canterlot as a greater community rather than a social media site for interacting with just certain groups of people. I think that was the kind of thought process that went into the decision to keep it disabled. Or at least that's what makes sense to me.

In practise it seemed to lead to some users "collecting" friends in an effort to boost their profile on the site and perceived popularity. Not having it could be seen as putting people on equal ground and stresses Canterlot as a greater community rather than a social media site for interacting with just certain groups of people. I think that was the kind of thought process that went into the decision to keep it disabled. Or at least that's what makes sense to me.

I couldn't agree more, while it is nice to know who your friends are, the friend system can cause..a lot of problems in and of itself. It can make people feel left out and hurt.

Archived