[Marelia] Away in the Mountains

Bellosh

14aittd.png

Ingrid Marie enjoyed a hot bowl of vegetable stew while she listened to everypony else talk about their ice skating experiences. Once Fuchsia finished talking, Ingrid took a break from her dinner to reluctantly answer the question. “Oh gosh… I don’t think I’ve ice skated since I was a filly. Now, I don’t mean to say Bramble is wrong, mmkay... but I think I may have forgotten a thing or two about skating, hah hah.” Cue an embarrassed smile from Ms. Marie.

The magic counselor took another bite out of the stew before turning to Bramble; “Oh Bramble, what was the name of the creature at the museum again?” Ingrid vaguely remembered there being a skeleton at the Marelia museum years ago, but it seemed like her memory needed a refresher or two about what the creature actually was.

Apple Bumpkin had been off in her own little world of Apples and Farms. Not even in the slightest bit connected to the reality that was their vacation. With a nod she snapped out of her little bubble only to be confused with what was even going on. She was sitting at table there among her friends. Her special somepony next to her.

"Ohhhh ice skating sounds fun!" The young mare full of energy took a pose of dynamic statute as she looked at the group. "So what Ifn Ya haven't gone since Ya was a filly. There ain't nothin to it! Shoot we'll catch Ya Ifn yer about ta fall!" She grinned largely at Ingrid. Bumpkin didn't even notice at first that evergpony was wearing only the most amazing outfits and her special somepony was looking absolutely divine!

Things sounded good as far as skating was concerned to the mauve earth mare, the group ranged from former professional with Bramble, to experienced with Cheerilee and Fuchsia, to beginnings like Ingrid and her own partner, Bumpkin.  Cheerilee wrapped one of her forehooves around Bumpkin in a reassuring hug, “well I am sure you’ll get the hang of it again hon, besides I’ll be out there to help you!  Same for you Ingrid!  This will be a blast; I even have a winter outfit that is perfect for this!” Cheerilee blushed a little, she wasn’t normally this concerned or excited about outfits, “I guess I got a little carried away with packing, it just has been such a long time since I got to take a real vacation, I guess I just went overboard.”

Bramble had to right idea though, museum first, “well luckily I brought the camera along, so I can sure I can get plenty of pictures for the foals back at school, they sure do love scary ancient creatures!  I know, I know, this is a vacation and not a school field trip, but it couldn’t hurt right?  I mean I’ll have them for my own personal collection too, I swear!”  She lowered her head shrugged her shoulders before having more of the greens; she couldn’t help herself, sharing her adventures with her students was part of the fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Gqu1u2z.png

Bramble Rose was definitely enjoying himself, though he felt the attention to his foalhood figure skating was a little overblown.  The last time he'd competed was a couple years after he'd gotten his cutie mark!  Foalhood was full of all sorts of little activities that never developed into anything serious.  Still, the evening had started off very well with Fuschia's adorable tendancy to change colors to match her mane.  And he had plenty more compliments for her, later - his dam had always said that anything you wanted to do well, you had to practice.  Still, for once he didn't seem to be tripping over his tongue.

He smiled gently to Fuschia and squeezed her forehoof briefly.  "I imagine there's lots of little things we don't know about each other," he said demurely.  "I look forward to learning them."  Then he turned at a question from Ingrid.  "Oooo ... it's been such a long time.  You know how those long scientific names can be..."  He looked briefly up at the ceiling as he thought about it.  "Serpentis... Jor ... jor ... jormingandis?  Ah, the name escapes me.  I could describe it, but I want you all to see it and be amazed.  The impact of seeing it for the first time, I don't want to take anything away from it."

His eyes brightened at seeing the serving ponies coming with their desserts.  "Oh, wonderful!  I've been looking forward to this.  I haven't had lingonberry cheesecake in such a long time."  He took a moment as the plate was put down just to appreciate the shape of it - creamy and delicious, mixed between the pale off-white of the cheesecake swirled with the magnificent red-purple of the lingonberry syrup, studded with the lingonberries themselves.  Artistic majesty.  His green magic glowed around a small desert fork and lifted it up, taking a tiny sliver off of the cheesecake and to his mouth.  Mmmm...

• 1 month later...

*OOC: now that I've finally read Wolf's last status update, we can feel free to skip her until she's able to come back to Canterlot.*

14aittd.png

Hearing Apple Bumpkin and Cheerilee express their willingness to assist Ingrid Marie gave the lapsed ice skater some courage. “Well,” the beige unicorn hovered her fork as she used it to play with her meal; “as long as nopony else’s around to take photos of me fumbling, heh heh, I guess it’ll all be good. Now don't you try any funny business, Cheerilee!” Ingrid may have glared at the school teacher, but the liveliness in the unicorn's voice indicated she was only joking around rather than being defensive.

Meanwhile, Ms. Marie sympathized with Bramble Rose’s inability to remember the creature’s correct scientific name. Those sorts of words proved to be dreadful mouthfuls for Ingrid back when she studied plant species in her youth. No matter though; once the magic counselor and her companions finished their delicious desserts, they’ll swiftly be on their way to the Marelia Museum.....

Archived