I Just Wanna Fly (Open)

Lux

scootalobannerLux_zps79c43853.png

Scootaloo sat on on a high hill just outside of Ponyville. It was the perfect place for her, not too far away from her home yet away enough and open enough that she could be without others around. There was even a tree that she could rest under if the day was too hot and she needed to cool off. Best of all, because she was so high up than the rest of the area, she felt like she was close to the sky. It was as if she was flying.

Flying... something that Scootaloo so desperately wanted to do but her small wings at the moment held her back, making this desire just a dream. It tore her up inside being a Pegasus that could not fly, an idea as silly as a unicorn without magic! Her mind raced with dark thoughts like if her wings would ever grow or if she would remain flightless forever, like the taunt that ponies gave her: Chicken. Oh how she hated that name! In reality the orange filly, despite being a member of the Cutie Mark Crusaders, would rather be able to fly than get her mark right away.

As she sadly looked in to the sky that was so close yet so far a Pegasus flew past before disappearing into the sky. Soon tears began to flow from her eyes as she could no longer hold back her feelings.

"Stupid tiny wings! I wish I never was born a Pegasus! I'd be better off if I was an earth pony!"

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ggD9W45.png?2

"Another day, another pony watered," a black griffon proudly spoke to himself, his silver feathered chest puffed out proudly as he marveled at his own work, the repair of Ponyville's water system. Before he could congratulate himself too much, his hearing detected the crying of a young pony off in the distance. Everyone in this town was perpetually happy unless there were changelings invading or something, at least that is what he seemed to imagine after seeing ponies randomly burst into song completely unprovoked. He quickly tucked his trusty wrench away into a brown bag that was fastened onto his chest. He walked over to the orange pegasus and heard her pouting about her wings, the griffon guessing she was one of those types who couldn't fly very well.

The stealthy griffon quickly reached her side and looked down on her with a warm smile plastered across his long black beak. "Can I sit down here?" he asked in a caring tone as he took a seat beside the crying pony. "Now what's with all of this better off business? Everyone is special in some way. In life, everyone is different, perhaps to varying degrees. As a kid, it is easy to get worked up over little things. Do you know what makes a pegasus different from an earth pony?" he lectured the pony patiently before asking her a simple biology question that she should know, his odd demeanor suggesting that he suspected that she was too distraught to answer clearly. "Here is a hint, we both share it in common," he added slyly for the pony as he went prone beside her, laying his much larger and longer body out beside her as he pretended like he was a normal pony or something!

In the midst of her crying Scootaloo became startled by the sound of a voice nearby. She quickly dried her tears as to her crying was a sign of being uncool and weaker that she wanted to appear. After all, she never saw any of the ponies she thought were awesome like Rainbow Dash or even Princess Luna cry. To her surprise though it wasn't a pony that she came face to face with but a male griffon wearing a strange brown pouch that sagged slightly as if it was filled with heavy things. For a moment she felt a wave of being nervous around this creature as she hadn't had much interaction with them, but he appeared friendly enough.

Upon realizing the griffon wanted to sit down nearby she merely shrugged. After all who was she to say where somepony or in this case griffon could or could not sit. It was then that the griffon started explaining how she was special. Ugh! The same speech that she heard other ponies give her whenever she or her friends asked about getting their cutie marks or when she wanted to learn how to fly. To her the only way things would work for her was if she woke up one day with her wings grown or that her cutie mark appeared on her flank.

"What's same about you and I?" she said sniffling a little as she gave the griffon a confused look, "Well you have wings and so do I, if you can call these sad excuses wings."

Gerrard smiled as the young pegasus whimpered about her condition. While it was unusual for a pegasus to be unable to fly, it did happen every once in a while. "Do you know that there are a few griffons who can't fly either? They find awesome things to do without being able to fly. But to give you a better example. Have you ever heard of a penguin. They are the chubby birds and their wings can't help them fly. But instead of complaining about it, they experimented and found out their wings worked great as flippers. Maybe you're just a penguin? Have you figured out anything else your wings are good for? They have to help you somehow, right," he commented a smile as he thought over her condition.

"Wings aren't just for flying, they can do all sorts of things. Like make shade," he explained warmly while extending one of his huge black wings over her like a massive awning. He looked up at his wings, far larger than almost any pony might have. "Well you would think I'm the fastest flyer in Equestria with such large wings. I am actually pretty mediocre, even at my age. It's not the size of your wings, it's how you use them. If you don't believe me, I guess you can wait forever until you become an adult, " he explained mischievously, giving her the option to wait until she can fly, knowing that as a kid, she lacked the patience to wait.

Scootaloo raised an eyebrow when Gerrard mentioned that there were griffons that could not fly. The Pegasus doubted it as there were no ponies that she knew of that couldn't fly like her. But she wasn't going to call him a liar. After all he was a griffon and would know about other griffons like him that the orange filly ever would. Then there was another weird comment about a penguin. Scootaloo never saw a penguin but heard about it in Miss Cheerilee's class, these funny birds that lived where it was cold and couldn't fly but swim. Was this griffon calling her a penguin? She wasn't even black and white like one!

"Hmm... well I can kind of go faster on my scooter if I use my wings but I just do that for fun. I can't use them for shade or to keep rain off a pony or anything like that."

When Gerrard mentioned that even as an adult he wasn't a good flyer Scootaloo felt her heart sink. She wondered if she was doomed to be flightless the rest of her life.

"I don't want to wait around until I'm a mare," Scootaloo protested, "That'll take... forever! I want to fly now like the others! I don't care if I'm not as fast as others like Rainbow Dash. I just wanna fly!"

335gvm9.jpg

It had been a relativity busy week for Wind Walker. After a epic party to say goodbye to all of their friends in Canterlot, the little blue filly helped her parents and siblings box up all their things, which were then gathered up by movers and shipped to a much smaller house in a rather quiet section of the already sleepy little village of Ponyville. After the changelings attack last 'Nightmare Night', her father had been asked to relocate to the village to help better train the local guard. Her mother agreed that their old family home was just too big for three ponies and bar another crazy attack, Ponyville would be an idea place to jumpstart her own dream. Write Stuff had spent the majority of her career writing R.E.A manuals, and had hoped to move into the great world of literary-fiction and maybe become the next A.K. Yearling! It could happen!

The house they moved into was a spacious two story wooden home with an thatched roof, which Wind thought looked like an gingerbread house. She did like her new bedroom which was twice the size of her old one. She also loved the pool in the back, but she hated the idea of not being able to see her siblings first thing in the morning. While they all had promised to visit, it just wasn't going to be the same. She did run into one of her sister's friends who had crashed on their couch after a rather fun night at Ponyville's own pub, the 'Watering Hole'. Once his had stopped 'spinning', the two enjoyed a quick breakfast together before the stallion had to fly off.

Since she still had a few days before school, the little filly decided to spend some quality time checking the little village out. While she knew a few kids in town, she wanted to make even more friends and she knew they weren't going to come to her. So the Pegasus pony took to the skies in search of a new friendly face. As she flew, the filly practiced a few of her moves. A few quick turns around the clouds, making sure not to touch a single bit of the fluffy white masses followed by an few zigzags. Once she was satisfied with her moves, she returner her sight back to the ground. A hill could be seen, and on top of, she could see an filly pegasus who appeared to be the same age as Wind, and an scruffy looking griffon. While she normally would have let them be, the blue kid was pretty sure she had seen the pony before. But where? Was she one of Apple Bloom's friends? Had she seen the two together before along with a pretty white unicorn? And what was she doing with the griffon? Now she was curious.

She heard bits of their conversation, "Yikes! Why wouldn't you not want to fly? It's like the best thing ever!", the filly landed on a branch, "I mean, just being up there in the sky.", she glanced up towards the clouds, "Being up there with the wing in your face, feeling Celestia's sun on your back and not having a care in the world! I mean, nothing against Earthies and uni's, but they're missing out so much! Ooh feathers..Manners!".

The chatty-pony slowly made her way down from the tree, "Sorry to interrupt you two, but I saw you chatting and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm Wind Walker. My family and I moved into Miss Sun Spot's old house earlier this week. Also, I think I've seen you before kid. I'm friends with Babs Seed and I've run into her cousin before. I believe you two are friends as well."

She smiled as her hooves finally met the ground, "You remind me of me, so I thought it would be fun if we had a race, when you're finished with Mister Griffon over there. What do do you say?", she patiently adjusted her goggles and waited for a reply.

Gerrard made sure he was comfortable as she listened to his words. The young pegasus seemed to take the analogy literally at first as her eyes incredulously peered back at him. She seemed the type to be compared to animals in unfavorable ways and after a moment of thinking, she seemed to understand. "Yeah, how many ponies can go as fast as you with a scooter and NOT crash?" he commented with a smirk as he speculated and hoped she was great at that. You do know that contrary to popular belief, most pegasus don't do weather or flying jobs? You can wait around and complain about it, or you can go figure out what makes you special! You might be surprised to know that my job has nothing to do with flying at all," he explained while springing to his feet and pulling a wrench out of his brown bag.

"Remember kid, you're you, not Rainbow Dash. Whoever she might be," he commented, admitting that he wasn't familiar with the exploits of the famed pegasus. He knew a lot about classical pony history, but wasn't as versed with the modern happenings of the super hero elements of harmony or whatever business that was. Before he could ask for a name, another pony burst into the scenes unannounced! She introduced herself as Wind Walker, a very pony name if he had ever heard one, his golden eyes peering over her form before she went into stereotypical pegasus form. This one was a bit odd though, most eager fliers tried to pester him for races, thinking griffons were some sort of special fliers. He could attest that his species was basically as good at flying their pony counterparts. He had to assume she was hard of hearing though when she asked Scootaloo to race. He slid between the two ponies and made no motions to the eager flier as she asked her flightless counterpart for a race.

It probably was for naught though as she tried to push him out of the conversation without his input. He raised his brow, wondering if this new pony was insensitive or rude, the griffon resigning himself to find out as he sat on his haunches. He knew that the orange pony couldn't fly and looked back to her as he tried to read her reaction. Hopefully it would be received as a non flying race or there were going to be a few tears or an angry reaction out of Scootaloo.

"Yikes! Why wouldn't you not want to fly? It's like the best thing ever!", the filly landed on a branch, "I mean, just being up there in the sky.", she glanced up towards the clouds, "Being up there with the wing in your face, feeling Celestia's sun on your back and not having a care in the world! I mean, nothing against Earthies and uni's, but they're missing out so much! Ooh feathers..Manners!".

Scootaloo's attention quickly shifted to a new voice nearby. She looked around her but found no one else besides Gerrard there. Then the orange Pegasus looked up to see another Pegasus filly looking at her. For a moment Scootaloo's demeanor deflated as the filly mentioned the joys of flying, something that the orange Pegasus didn't yet know except for Rainbow Dash giving her a few flight trips around Ponyville. Soon though she got the connection of who this pony was and how she knew Babs Seed, a once bully now turned fellow Cutie Mark Crusader and cousin to Apple Bloom.

"Oh, hello there Wind Walker. Yeah, I know Apple Bloom. She and Sweetie Belle are my best friends! Oh and we know Babs Seed as well. Our friendship with was... not very friendly but things got fixed up."

The orange Pegasus's ears perked up hearing that the filly wanted to race.

"I'd love to race you!" she said before again changing from joy to doubt, "Except if you're looking for racing you in the sky, I... can't fly."

Even though Gerrard tried to raise her hopes about her scooter skills, which Scootaloo knew were cool and something that few ponies could do as well as her, his mentioning about it being ok to not be a weather pony of a job that involved flying annoyed Scootaloo.

"Yeah, I know my scooter skills are awesome, and I know that there are jobs that Pegesai can do that don't require flying, but I'm not talking about wanting a job with flying. I'm talking about the most basic thing that makes a Pegasus pony what they are: Flying! The freedom to fly in the open sky, to explore every inch of the world were there are no limits except for what you can do. That's what I'm talking about, and as for finding a special talent? That's what my friends are trying to do, get our cutie marks."

Her eyes went wide though at the last thing Gerrard said.

"Wait a minute, you don't know who Rainbow Dash is? The most awesome Pegasus I know? The one who performed the Sonic Rainboom multiple times? The one who can fly faster and do stunts more amazing than anypony I know? Haven't you seen her fly by with that rainbow streak in the skies above? I'm not trying to be her as I don't anypony can be as awesome as her, but if I can be just twenty percent of her talent it would be amazing!"

335gvm9.jpg

“You....can’t fly?”, the little blue filly was, as her brother Sky would say, ‘Gloppened!’ Wind Walker could not imagine a world where she could not soar through the clouds. To be forever anchored to the ground like some.... ground stuck thing. She quickly took another look a the kid, knowing the best and quickest way to know somepony’s special skills were to check out their cutie mark. Again, she came up blank, as in ‘blank flank’. ‘Oh boy.’, the Pegasi groaned to herself. This poor girl is one hot mess! Normally, a pony’s name would also clue her in to what type of person she was, but this had yet to be given.

There didn’t seem to be anything wrong with her. She looked pretty healthy and her wings, while a little on the small side, could easily lift her up from the ground. Of course, there was more to flying than wings. Maybe she had something else that permitted her from flying. “Yeah, you might not be able fly now, but once you figure out what’s stopping you from letting your hooves leave the ground, I’m sure you’ll conquer it and be flying in no time.”, she studied the little filly for another moment, “Doesn’t look like you have any physical issues. Might be something in your noggin. Or maybe magic? When that horrible monster Tirek was out rampaging about, some of my siblings who were part of the R.E.A joined in and tried their best to stop him. He just sucked the magic from their bodies and crash! They couldn't fly. Their wings still could flap, but they were grounded until Princess Twilight and her friends were able to defeat the monster."

"Wait a minute, you don't know who Rainbow Dash is? The most awesome Pegasus I know? The one who performed the Sonic Rainboom multiple times? The one who can fly faster and do stunts more amazing than anypony I know? Haven't you seen her fly by with that rainbow streak in the skies above? I'm not trying to be her as I don't anypony can be as awesome as her, but if I can be just twenty percent of her talent it would be amazing!"

"She's also one of Princess Twilight's Sparkle's friends and an hero as well.", Wind was also surprised that someone did not know who she was. Maybe he didn't get the paper, "She's also really nice.", the Pegasi added, "During last Winter Wrap-up, she actually taught me a few things. And normally adults would just tell you to get out of the way and let the big ponies work, but not Rainbow Dash! She's also training to be a Wonderbolt, which sort of confused me, as she's probably as good, if not better that most of those guys. Wonder if she's friends with Soarin'? Guy is super-sweet."

Feeling she was quickly drifting away from topic, the filly smiled back at the orange pony, "And yeah, I'll race you. I'll fly. You'll scoot. Also, I don't believe I got your name."

It was odd that the orange pony couldn't fly but that wasn't enough to shape any of his own opinions about her. Even her lack of a cutie mark didn't matter to him, not that a griffon actually cared about cutie marks to begin with. Gerrard found his head cocking to the side as the newcomer was absolutely befuddled by the condition of her slightly younger counterpart, expecting ponies to be more understanding. He figured it was just the flyer struggling to control her overflowing excitement as she examined to unique pegasus. He didn't know the name of Scootaloo, but he knew that she hadn't hurt anyone's feelings with random challenges out of nowhere. The black griffon listened to the worried newcomer as she rattled off what seemed like a dozen explanations about why the tiny winged pony couldn't fly. None of them seemed particularly revealing to the griffon as he figured that Scootaloo had probably thoroughly explored all the different avenues.

"Well, I don't know exactly how ponies work, not being one after all, but I always imagined that pegasi needed magic to fly with such small wings," he commented, in the direction of the blue filly as he expanded his immense black wingspan, long plumed feathers revealed to the world as he showed off his flying tools. He cleared his throat and closed his wings while he decided to give the younger pony one of his own theories on her predicament. "I doubt that her magic is gone. If anything, I would speculate that your pegasus magic is merely designed for things. Maybe it is best for moving your wings fast or making you more athletic, sorta like an earth pony. Either that, or you gotta wait for extra magic to be able to fly. Since I know kids don't... have the time... to wait, I would go about figuring how to use your pegasus magic and wings for other cool things like swimming or motoring like you said previously," he mused aloud, making swimming and zooming motions with with his talons as he stood up in front of the ponies.

When he mentioned not knowing Rainbow Dash though, the two fillies went wide eyed with disbelief, almost as if he had admitted to being a monster. He had heard stories about the elements of harmony and it being an organization of six ponies who allegedly used magic to save the world. It seemed like a pony tale through and through, but it did seem to have something to do with the coronation of Princess Twilight Sparkle and that was quite the ceremony, perhaps even too much to perpetuate some type of pony tale. He figured that it was plausible, magic existed and he guessed that anything could happen theoretically, but that was a discussion for another time! Reading black and white newspapers probably didn't help him too much either, the prismatic pony blending in well with the various grays as he ate his morning breakfasts in Canterlot. "Sonic Rainboom? I guess I gotta go to more sporting events and more world saving events. Can you tell my bosses not to send me to Stalliongrad every time there is a parade in Canterlot, that might help things. I might have to meet her someday," he joked aloud, wondering how he couldn't know such a famous pony. He suddenly felt like the crazy old pony who was out of the loop with all the youngsters.

When the blue pegasus offered to race against a scooter, Gerrard blinked and shook the cobwebs out of his head. "Wait a second, both of you! There is a rule you need to follow in Ponyville. You need to know the names of those you to race, he explained, pointing a talon at both of the fillies. "I'm Gerrard, who are Miss Blue and Miss Orange, " he asked with a chuckle as he looked over to both, wondering if he was about to see a pony race. He imagined that the flyer would have an advantage but he didn't know enough about scooter to know for sure. "Need a ref," he asked mischievously as he put two of his loose feathers over his silver feathered chest as he did his best to look the part of a referee.

Scootaloo looked strangely at the Pegasus. Wasn't that what she said just a few seconds ago, that she couldn't fly? Must have been a shock as much as to anypony who heard from Scootaloo that she could not fly.

“Yeah, you might not be able fly now, but once you figure out what’s stopping you from letting your hooves leave the ground, I’m sure you’ll conquer it and be flying in no time.”, she studied the little filly for another moment, “Doesn’t look like you have any physical issues. Might be something in your noggin. Or maybe magic? When that horrible monster Tirek was out rampaging about, some of my siblings who were part of the R.E.A joined in and tried their best to stop him. He just sucked the magic from their bodies and crash! They couldn't fly. Their wings still could flap, but they were grounded until Princess Twilight and her friends were able to defeat the monster."

Scootaloo didn't feel very comfortable about the fact that this pony was examining her like some strange test subject. Surprisingly Wink Walker bypassed the obvious problem of having smaller wings for her age, something that Scootaloo wondered if that was the main cause for her not being able to fly or something more, and went to stranger theories.

"Hey, my brain is just fine you know. And as for magic, isn't that something that all ponies are born with? Oh an I remember Tirek, but he kind of just... passed me by."

It was both a blessing and a problem to not have the magic sucked out of her. On one hoof she was glad to not be in the weakened state as the others but on the other hoof it was as if the monstrous creature felt it not worth the time for him to take Scootaloo's magic.

"Well, I don't know exactly how ponies work, not being one after all, but I always imagined that pegasi needed magic to fly with such small wings," Gerrard said as he expanded his impressive wingspan, larger that any of the other Pegasus ponies he saw.

"Yeah that's what my teacher ms. Cheerilee said, that everypony has magic. Earth ponies like my friend Apple Bloom are usually stronger faster, Pegasus ponies can fly with magic and work with weather, and unicorns have more... magical things they can do like teleporting or moving things without their hooves."

"I doubt that her magic is gone. If anything, I would speculate that your pegasus magic is merely designed for things. Maybe it is best for moving your wings fast or making you more athletic, sorta like an earth pony. Either that, or you gotta wait for extra magic to be able to fly. Since I know kids don't... have the time... to wait, I would go about figuring how to use your pegasus magic and wings for other cool things like swimming or motoring like you said previously,"

"That's what I've been doing, using my wings to propel my scooter and stuff. I still wish though that there would be enough magic in me to fly that's all. I wonder how I can get more magic?"

"I'm Gerrard, who are Miss Blue and Miss Orange, "the griffon asked to which Scootaloo realized that it would be strange racing a Pegasus that he never got her name nor gave the orange filly's name to her.

"Oh, my name is Scootaloo, member of the Cutie Mark Crusaders and future epic flyer!"

335gvm9.jpg

Wind Walker wasn't terribly keen on her species being referred as having small wings. But she decided not to dwell on this, since her mother did warn her that she needed to work on her manners when it came to adults. "From what I've been told, Pegasi magic works on willpower.", she studied the orange's filly wings for a moment before turning her attention back to the griffon as well, "I was attending the 'The Best Young Flyer Competition' that one year all the craziness happened,so I got to watch Miss Dash perform her super-rare 'Sonic Rainboom' maneuver. She was sort of flopping around for a good portion of her showing until some mare just fell from the sky. Rainbow Dash used the maneuver to get to her and the Wonderbolts judges before they got all splaty. So I'm guessing if her friend wasn't in danger, she would have never been able to pull of the 'Rainboom'. So I guess the more you want to fly, the better chance you got to doing it."

She smiled as the orange filly introduced herself as ' Scootaloo'. It was an appropriate name, since the filly did favor an little scooter. But what was an 'loo'? She had heard her sister-in-law Jammy who was from Trottingham use that word when asking about the whereabouts of a bathroom. That couldn't be that! Maybe it was like the wind-loo, which was a strong current. That would work! "Wind Walker. Formally of Canterlot. If you want to, you'll have to show me around Ponyville. I've been here before, but I've never really got to explore the village. "

"And when we race, I'll fly closer to the ground so I have to deal with the same obstacles you have to face. Would only be fair.", the Pegasi glanced up at the sky. It's gonna be a perfect day for a race!

• 2 weeks later...

Gerrard listened as both fillies introduced themselves. "Scootaloo, Wind Walker, nothing particularly strange about the names, he thought to himself in silence as the pair excitedly agreed to do a race. He knew it wasn't really his place to hold up the pair of excited racers and decided to leave them to their competition.

"Well, I'm going to leave you two to battle it out, alright. Good luck Scoot and Windy, if you ever need help, come on over to Canterlot and bother me there," he half joked while hopping off the ground and flying off to a nearby cloud. The black hybrid let out a yawn as he curled up and roosted in a nearby fluffy white cloud.

Scootaloo sunk down hearing Wind Walker's tales about her being at the Best Young Flyers competition and seeing Rainbow Dash pull off the epic Sonic Rainboom. Of course Scootaloo saw it too as did practically everypony that was outside that day, but there was nothing like being there in that cloud stadium amongst screaming fans seeing that happen! Part of her feelings were jealousy towards the filly but the other was once again her inadequacy of just being able to fly to Cloudsdale to see the events.

"But see I do want to fly. More than anything, even getting my cutie mark!" she said before an idea popped in her head, "Wait, are you saying that if a friend is in danger I'll push myself to fly just like how Rainbow Dash pulled off a Sonic Rainboom?"

Not that she would ever intentionally put her friends in harm's way but considering the messes that her and her fellow Crusaders got into there were more than enough opportunities to be the hero and maybe get to finally fly in the process.

"Oh and you've never seen Ponyville before, I'm sure I can show you around. We can even race there if you want. With you flying low and me on my scooter I'm sure it will be fair."

The orange filly noticed that the third member of the party was bidding them farewell as he flew back up to the cloud.

"Are you sure you don't want to come with us Gerrard?" she said hoping that the griffon heard but wondering if he had fallen asleep already.

335gvm9.jpg

The little blue filly’s eyes opened up, “Yes, I mean no..No-yes?”, she shook her head, “Actually, that’s not the case all the time, or probably most of the time.”, Wind Walker needed to watch what she would say. While she was pretty sure Scootaloo was old enough to know better, there was always a chance. "Just depends on the situation. I got my cutie mark nearly breaking all my bones trying to get to Ponyville in time for 'Nightmare Night'. My brother Punk got his after he found out that he likes pumpkins, or was it that he's really good at fibbing? And a friend of mine got his after he super-bonded with his dad over their love of trains. Please don't go risking your friend's life trying to get a cutie mark. ", she gave off a squeaky grin.

"As for Ponyville, I've been here several times, and I was even here during all the mess at last year's Nightmare Night when all those monsters attacked. I was also here during the 'Running Of The Leaves', I didn't race, but I got to hang out with Princess Celestia, and wow, she is so nice!", she bounced a little as she mentioned the co-ruler of Equestria, "But I've only been living here for just a few days, so you'll probably know all the cool spots to go!"

Wind Walker quickly spread her wings and took to the sky to catch up with the griffon and his cloud, "And while you might be just a little too old to race, maybe you can start it? Somebody needs to do the countdown!"

• 2 weeks later...

Gerrard let out a yawn as Scootaloo asked him to come along and join them in their race. The griffon wanted to join in, but decided against it as the other pegasus seemed to be oblivious to his presence, or perhaps her own as she felt the need to race superseded his own discussion with the flightless youngster. "Maybe another time Scootaloo. Maybe another time, okay? I think you have an... eager friend who wants to show off her mad skills in a legendary race for the ages. But I'll do a countdown before I go to sleep," he explained with a loud lion yawn as he lightly rubbed his eyes with a free talon.

"This young, old adult griffon is starting the countdown," he explained slowly as he looked down to see if the pair were at their starting positions. "Okay, racers to your starting positions! Five! Four! Three! Two! One! GO GO GO!" he cheered for the ponies as he threw down one of his black talons to signal the start of the race. His golden eyes watched the pair take off, but he quickly found himself curling up into a tight ball. The dark hybrid closed his golden eyes and nodded off into sleep, leaving the pair to conduct their race.

For a moment Scootaloo thought she had the answer, the key to being able to fly and maybe even get her cutie mark at the same time. It was a rare combination as the orange filly would usually be involved with something that focused on one problem at a time. But just as her hopes were rising to the clouds the blue filly explained that this wasn't a sure thing to do.

"Guess you're right," Scootaloo said a little deflated as once again she felt back to square one. Still it would be bad placing her friends in peril just to try and fly and it would be even worse waiting for her friends or other ponies to be in peril.

Wind Walker spoke of her times visiting Ponyville with enthusiasm. Why she even got to meet Princess Celestia! But living in a place and just visiting a place were two different things.

"Well how about after the race I can show you around Ponyville. There are plenty of cool things to see!"

Scootaloo noticed that Gerrard now preferred to stay at his cloud post rather than join them. Maybe it was the fact that Wind Walker was so interested in meeting the filly that the griffon felt left out. The orange Pegasus hoped not as she knew what it was like being left out of things. But the griffon had made up his mind and Scootaloo knew minds for anypony were not easily changed. Still she didn't want to burn any bridges of friendships.

"Um... ok Gerrard. Thanks for your advice you gave me. I really do want to meet you again sometime."

With that Scootaloo put on her purple helmet, adjusting the strap so it was tight but not too tight, and boarded her scooter for what was to be an epic race. As Gerrard started the countdown the filly dropped low on her scooter and placed her leg out to get ready and push off for a quick start. Her wings buzzed making a revving noise as she got ready.

"GO GO GO!"

Scootaloo wasted no time as she blasted away towards town in a tiny orange blur.

335gvm9.jpg

“Such a lazy boy.”, the little filly groaned as she rolled her eyes, “Can’t believe anyone would want to snooze away during such a wonderful day.”, she made her way towards where the other filly waited, “A tour through Ponyville? That would be fun! While I’ve hung out in the more touristy places, I’m sure a local would know all the best hangout spots!”. Wind Walker glanced down at the strange little cart thing Scootaloo was. It looked like a skateboard with a stick stuck in the front for holding on. She had seen other kids back in Canterlot on those things, and while kick scooters could move swiftly and do tricks, there was no way in Equestria that this would be a fair race. And after realizing it wasn’t polite to simply thrash somepony pony in a race, the blue Pegasi decided she would go easy on her new friend.

"Okay, racers to your starting positions! Five! Four! Three! Two! One! GO GO GO!" he cheered for the ponies as he threw down one of his black talons to signal the start of the race. His golden eyes watched the pair take off, but he quickly found himself curling up into a tight ball. The dark hybrid closed his golden eyes and nodded off into sleep, leaving the pair to conduct their race.

After getting into position, the filly made sure there was enough room to spread her wings. At the sound of the 'go', Wind decided to let the other filly get a head start, and wow, did she start! Scootaloo's wings may have been undersized, but there was a good deal of power behind them. The kick scooter's driver quickly surged ahead of the stationary pony, nearly causing her opponent to fall on her backside. "Yikes!" she could only make out. This went from a cakewalk into an actual proper race!

Since an actual race required at least two racers, Wind Walker quickly started her wings up and in just a few moments, her hooves no longer touched the ground. As per her made up rules, Wind would stay close to the ground so she would have to encounter the same obstacles the other Pegasi would have to content with. In her determination to catch up with the other pony, she nearly planted herself head-first into a tree branch. Thankfully she was able to nimbly avoid such a fate, but she was still behind.

The race was on as Scootaloo surged ahead. She knew that being not able to fly made her vulnerable to any obstacles in her path, but what she lacked in feeedom she made up for in speed. The fast start almost knocked Wind walker on her tail but the orange filly was busy with her eyes fixated on the goal. She dodged a deep rut in the road caused by heavy wagons then ducked under a low branch.

"Alright, almost to Ponyville and... whoa!" she said as she suddenly dug her one hoof into the ground as the scooter squealed to a stop. There crossing the road was a family of chickens that were taking their leisurely time.

"Awww! Come on chickens. Can't you see there's a race going on?"

The chickens paid no attention but as if in defiance turned and stared back at the Pegasus. She could only hope that Wind Walker would stop with such an issue and help.

335gvm9.jpg

Wind Walker was not surprised to see how far Scootaloo had managed to go on her scooter, but she was a little curious why she had stopped. And while there was open air ahead of her and a race to be won, the little pony was more into making friends than the actual competition. So she did what every good little Pegasi would do and she simply stopped. In mid air. "Eh, what's the hold up?". As she spoke, the little blue filly slowly made her way back to the ground.

She finally noticed the squad of cute little chickens who were doing what chickens needed to do. "So, why do you think they're crossing this road? Doesn't seem to be much of anything on either side." She was never terribly keen on the little fowls, but they did serve several very important purposes. Ponies used their non-hatch-able eggs for cooking, and their discarded feathers for quills, pillows and other things. While Wind had the desire to simply scare them away by making noises or swatting them on their feathery backsides, she knew that they might become so scared that they might end up hurting themselves in the process. So, she had to be patient.

"So, um. Have you ever had a flying teacher? While I'm a decent flyer myself, I still go to a coach at least once a month. I'm mostly learning tricks, but I've also seen a few really nice Pegasus ponies here that would make awesome teachers!", she bounced a little as she remembered her encounter with the friendly mares of Ponyville. "I actually got to help in last year's 'Winter Wrap Up', and the grownups were actually pretty nice..None of that 'just go play in the snow and don't get in our way'. They actually wanted me to help, and they showed me lots of things! One of the actual real heroes of Equestria herself, and I believe she's a Wonderbolt, although probably really new, since she wasn't on last year's trading cards, a Miss Rainbow Dash really showed me how to do things...I knew I wasn't ready for the more advanced weather stuff, but she showed me how to bust clouds properly and how to move the snow off the tree branches without breaking them. Oh."

Wind noticed the chickens were no longer trying to make their way across the road, but were now very interested in their conversation. "Oh feathers.", the pony whispered, "Now, how are we gonna get them out of the way?"

Scootaloo was locked in a standoff between her and the flock of chickens who seemed having no intention of moving after coming into contact with the filly. The orange filly expected them to scatter when approaching them with her scooter or at least moving on after the confrontation. But no they just looked back at her with some kind of interest in their chicken brains.

"Eh, what's the hold up?"

"They are," Scootaloo said incredulously point her hoof at the nearest chicken who proceed to peck at it. Luckily for her she didn't feel anything on her hooves but it further annoyed her.

"So, why do you think they're crossing this road? Doesn't seem to be much of anything on either side."

"I don't know where they came from or where they're going but I hope they just get there and fast."

Wind Walker asked about whether Scootaloo had a flying teacher, a topic that for the while took her mind off of the obstacles in the road. Despite not being able to fly, Scootaloo was eager to share the mutual bond that Pegesai had with each other.

"Oh i have a great flying teacher. Rainbow Dash tries to help me fly from time to time when I'm not busy with school or friends or she's not helping with whatever she's doing. She's really patient and a great flyer herself."

Seeing Wind Walker looking down at the ground Scootaloo turned to see the chickens more engrossed in what the ponies had to say.

"I don't know. They're taking up the entire road! Can't we, I don't know, try and herd them?"

335gvm9.jpg

"Yeah, she's pretty awesome. She's always looking out for the little g...Oh.", Wind Walker paused as she studied the chickens for a moment, "These gals aren't very good at being chicken.", after another brief moment, she realized that they were not looking at the ponies, but were carefully watching something that was going behind the pair. Curious to see what the pouty poultry were gauking at, the little filly turned and noticed a very frightened baby chick stuck in an old spider's web. Thankfully its owner was currently not at his residence, so the blue Pegasi trotted over and freed the small creature who happily ran to its mother.

Wind let out a little squeal as the two embraced before they quickly took after the formally stationary flock. "Well, that's my good deed for the day. When you're ready, I'll start the countdown!"

Once Scootaloo was set back on her scooter, Wind started a countdown, "5-4-3-2-1......START!"

OOC: Wasn't sure how long you wanted to keep up with the little chicken side-plot, but if there are any story-plans for this little RP, just give me a holler..

Scootlaoo had no idea why the chickens had still refused to go other than taking a liking to the filly. Still Scootaloo wasn't interested in talking with them, preferring to race. Thankfully Wind Walker made a keen observation that the flock wasn't looking at them but past them to a chick caught in a spider web. With a quick rescue the chickens moved on.

"Nice job Wind. I didn't even notice the chicken trapped there."

With one issue done they were ready to race again. At Wind's command the filly took off heading closer to town.

"Finish line is the statue in the center of town," the filly shouted realizing that no end was agreed upon. The statue was an easy landmark for anypony who would get in town and a perfect place to end a race and start a tour of town.

335gvm9.jpg

"Center of town. Gotcha.", the blue filly shouted back. While Scootaloo no longer had the advantage of the head-start, it was still rather difficult to to keep up with the girl. She obviously had far more experience traveling in these parts, and while Wind could fly as fast as any pony her age, it was a far different experience to fly so close to the ground. While in the air, there were hardly any obstacles to contend with, beyond nasty ol' grey storm clouds or other flyers who weren't looking where they were going. Here, she had to avoid tree branches off all sizes, and when she had managed to nimbly make her way around a few branches, more would appear in front of her!

After nearly flying straight into a series of low-hanging foliage, Wind Walker caught sight of town. They were still a short distance away, and there were still plenty of pesky trees along the path. Normally, it would have been a really nice path to walk through, but not as much during this race. Along with the village, she also caught sight of a few things she wasn't sure her opponent knew about. "Hey Scootaloo! Looks like there's a few bumps along the path. Be careful!"

With the destination chosen, Scootaloo once again picked up the pace and zoomed toward town. There were a few obstacles, a rock here, a fallen branch there. Still growing up in town made her able to cope with many surprises, allowing her to navigate around and over things. Wind Walker seemed not used to to the layout of the town, a difference compared to the open and often trouble free skies that the orange filly heard tales of it and traveled to with Rainbow Dash.

"Hey Scootaloo! Looks like there's a few bumps along the path. Be careful!"

"Huh," the filly said before gazing in surprise at the ruts in the road caused by passing wagon laden with a heavy load. She quickly tried to navigate around them with a few quick turns. Just when she thought all was safe, the front wheel of the scooter caught a rut and came to a sudden halt. Scootaloo did not as she felt herself being rocketed over the handle bars. For a moment she felt nothing above or below her as the ground passed by.

"Hey Wind, I'm flying! I'm..."

Her words were cut short as she felt herself going down. She tried fluttering her wings as best as possible to keep aloft but she ended up crashing hear first into the road.

Archived