The Golden Age of Comic Books: A Mutants and Masterminds campaign. Interest and OOC here!

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm assuming at this point, the 'first adventure' is over, and next posts will be each character doing their own thing until the next re-convention that will kick off the next one?

I'm assuming at this point, the 'first adventure' is over, and next posts will be each character doing their own thing until the next re-convention that will kick off the next one?

Correct. Issue 1 is coming to a close, so I'm leaving this up for just a wee bit longer. Long enough for your characters to ask questions, get their bearings and come to grips with the gray moral issue I purposefully left for you all. Issue 2, which I'm pretty sure I'm naming "Olly Olly Oxen Free", is in post production. I need to puzzle out a few more thing but we'll be beginning... soonish... I promise...

Posted a bit of a jump ahead for the rest of us to get back. If there's anything that needs to be covered in interim, I can happily edit. ^^

Nope. Perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

So, it is entirely possible that this is the closer of Issue 1. Drop some more In-Character questions/comments/concerns if you got 'em. If not, I'll be making a wee little epilogue and wrap things up and prepare for the inevitable Issue 2. Thanks for sticking around for so long! Oh, and this is what I've been saving for a very long time. Dear friends, I give you Curtain Call.

The Scenes, Song and Steps Theater. It was founded by Earth Ponies; a family of traveling bards in 1897. They decided to plant their roots in the grand city of Thoroughbred City when just a week of performing on their little rolling stage downtown brought in more bits than a month's worth of wanderings. In no time at all there were enough bits to rent out, and eventually buy a venue on Central Avenue. Suddenly they were smack dab in the middle of a long, long chain of shops and trades and other assorted financial and commercial venues that split the metropolis down the middle. This theater, while not exactly famous, has remained in the family of those pioneers to this day. Their three policies, clearly etched on a wooden plaque hanging on the front door have remained just as long:

The Show Must Go On!

Come Early! Stay Late!

Foals Watch For Free!

Generations later, two brothers inherited the rights to the old girl. This was also the first time in the family history that the theatre was managed by two rather than one. The eldest by two years more than the modest success that the family business brought in. He quickly took charge of the finances, bookings and other assorted paperwork the younger brother could not be bothered with. He was too busy tinkering with the special effects equipment when he wasn't on stage or chatting with guests. This combination did well but not enough for the eldest, now with a wife and son. It wasn't long before the eldest planned to pack up his new family and head to Canterlot with the lofty ambition to produce. He would leave his brother alone to manage the family legacy, which had grown stale in his eyes.

The youngest was left heartbroken and, quite frankly, terrified. Or, he would have been had his little nephew, named Curtain Call, not demanded to stay behind as well. The show must go on, he shouted with a gusto he certainly didn't inherit from his father. Come rain, come snow, come sleet, the show much go on! The foal begged. This theatre is just as much a part of the family as they were! Dad, skeptical, agreed but only on one condition. Together, they bought a single one-way ticket to Canterlot. Should they flounder, Curtains would take the first train back to Mom and Dad and never look back. It was a deal. This left Curtain Call and his uncle Soliloquy to manage Scenes Songs and Steps together. Were they heartbroken? Less so, as they had each other now. They were in this together. Were they terrified? Absolutely.

The first of the following month marked the official beginning of the new management and the duo spared no expense to ensure that good review. Little Curtain Call was out on the street corners hanging out fliers, in house making checklists for the prop room and being denied a chance to be part of the show. Soliloquy, whose duties were tinkering and repairing, was now doing his best at pencil pushing instead. Concessions were ordered. Local talent got their auditions. It was a great achievement for the pony with zero mind for numbers that didn't resolve the aiming of a party cannon. His nephew helped too of course, having learned a bit of practicality from his Sire. Opening night would go on without any hiccups. Until intermission.

The problem was the pulley systems that kept the curtains held up. They had fallen into disrepair from rust and fraying and, most importantly, from Soliloquy neglecting his maintenance duties. It wasn't really his fault. There were only so many hours in a day. But the sorry state they were in meant the Riggers were frantically keeping things aloft as guests shuffled back to their seats with refills of their popcorn, installing new fixtures as quickly as possible. It was a madhouse backstage. Little Curtains, being the last free set of hooves available, did his best with such tiny muscles, dragging a new wooden block pulley to the crew. He did not get it to the crew in time. Iron bars bent. Ropes snapped from the weight. The front curtain came down, leaving its namesake center stage. All eyes were on him.

Any other foal might have panicked. Any other foal might have gone teary eyed and fled the stage. But not Curtain Call. Not when the first rule of the family theatre is that the show must go on! He did soft shoe. He sang a few bars. He told a joke. “Oh boy, let me tell you. I love my uncle. But he's so old that when he orders a three minute egg, they ask for the bits up front!” And, amazingly, he got laughs! He got applause! He held the audience's attention long enough for the curtain to be repaired! And he was on stage long enough for Uncle to drag him off via the old Vaudeville cane for being a giant ham. He, and the troop, was otherwise grateful for the little squirt's efforts. They even let him join in the final bows of the evening since that stupid stunt had earned the boy his cutie mark.

Curtain Call grew up to be the mighty fine actor he had always wanted to be. While there wasn't any contract involved, he more or less co-owned with his uncle and the two helped each other every which way to keep the ship sailing. But trouble was brewing. For a time, chaos reigned supreme. Not long after that, the threat of eternal night was upon them. Naturally, it became harder and harder to sell tickets to a frivolous pastime when ponies didn't know if they would be having a meal that day. The neighborhood became desperate. Some tried to break in, knowing the shelf life of popcorn. Other less savory types tried to buy the family property, claiming to need it for 'legitimate business purposes.'. When Curtain Call refused, they tried to threaten. When he resisted, they brought a small gang.

Any other stallion might have panicked. Any other stallion might have buckled under and given them his legacy, begging to be spared. But not Curtain Call. Not when the first rule of the family theatre is that the show must go on! His Uncle and he gathered up supplies from their special effects bins. They formulated a plan. They crafted a character. They spread rumors. And Curtain Call put on the performance of a lifetime, as... The Masquerade! A vengeful spirit of the theatre, lashing out from the underworld, spelling doom for those who would taint the sanctity of the stage! The gang bought it. They fled, scared witless. Along the way, they dropped some papers; papers which listed the real plans they had for his theatre, as well as half the buildings of Central avenue. Suddenly it became clear that it wasn't just his own that was in danger. It was everypony's.

It looked like the Masquerade would be giving encore performances.

Strength 12 (+1)

Dexterity 16 (+3)

Constitution 10 (+0)

Intelligence 14 (+2)

Wisdom 10 (+0)

Charisma 18 (+4)

Skills

Acrobatics 4 (+7), Bluff 8 (+12), Diplomacy 6 (+10), Disable Device 2 (+4), Disguise 8 (+12), Intimidate 2 (+6), Knowledge: Art 4 (+6), Perform: Acting 8 (+12), Perform: Singing 4 (+8), Search 4 (+6), Sense Motive 4, Sleight of Hand 4 (+7), Stealth 6 (+9)

Feats

Attack Specialization (Unarmed) 2, Attractive, Blind-Fight, Defensive Roll 2, Dodge Focus 6, Elusive Target, Equipment 2, Favored Environment (Theatre), Fearsome Presence, Improvised Tools, Precise Shot, Sneak Attack, Minion 2

Powers

The Mask. Device (easy to lose) 3: Morph (Equines) 6; Alternate power: Invisibility (All visual senses. Flaws: Passive). Super-senses: Darkvision.

The Blackout. Device (easy to lose) 2: Darkness Control 5.

The Cloak. Device (hard to lose) 1. Super-movement: Slow fall. Teleport (Flaws: Short-range) 1, Feats: Turnabout, Progression.

The Bow. Device (Easy to lose, limited: Fire) 3. Snare 5, Feats: Tether. Alternate powers: Super-movement: Swinging, Nullify (Unicorn Magic) 10; Alt. Save: Toughness, Nullify (Pegasus Flight) 10; Alt. Save: Toughness, Hamper Movement (Icy surface) 5

Combat

Attack 0 (Unarmed +4), Defense 6 (Flatflooted 0), Initiative +3

Saves

Toughness 2 (Flatfooted 0), Fortitude 3, Reflex 9, Will 5

Drawbacks

Normal Identity

Struggling (-4 to Wealth)

Minion

Uncle Soliloquy

Abilities

Strength 6 (-2)

Dexterity 6 (-2)

Consitution 6 (-2)

Intelligence 18 (+4)

Wisdom 12 (+1)

Charisma 10 (+0)

Skills

Concentration 4 (+5), Craft: Mechanical 8 (+12), Craft: Chemical 8 (+12), Diplomacy 4, Disable Device 4 (+8), Disguise +4, Knowledge: Technology 6 (+10), Knowledge: Art 4 (+8), Medicine 2 (+3), Perform: Acting +4, Sense Motive 4 (+5)

Feats

Eidetic Memory, Jack-of-All-Trades, Master Plan, Inventor, Hide in Plain Sight, Dodge Focus 2, Skill Mastery (Craft Mechanical, Craft Chemical, Perform Acting, Disguise), Equipment 2, Improvised Tools

Powers

Quickness (Mental) 4

The Blackout. Device (easy to lose) 2: Darkness Control 5.

Combat

Attack 0, Defense 2 (Flatfooted 0), Initiative -2

Saves

Toughness -2, Fortitude -2, Reflex -2, Will 1

Equipment

Scenes Songs and Steps Theatre

Size: Medium, Toughness: 10, Features: Concealed, Fire Prevention System, Library, Living Space, Workshop, Security System, Powers:

Emotional Control (Area: Explosion, Flaws: Limited to Fear, Audio-dependent.) 6, Feats: Selective.

Illusion (Visual) 6, Feats: Progression 5, Indirect.

Environmental Control 6: Intense cold. Feat: Alternate power (Distraction, Hamper Movement, Intense Heat, Light), Indirect.

Blast 6 (Limited: Only on stage), Feats: Indirect 2, Split Attack, Triggered

Uncle's Tool Box

Camera, Caltrops, Binoculars, Multi-tool, Boomerang

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Azal and I are doing an 'in between sessions' scene here:

http://www.canterlot.com/topic/21682-golden-age-issue-15-team-building-exercises/

Where Morning Glory will be getting some training from Captain Nightguard.  Now, our own scenes are just planned to be between the two of us, but if anypony else wants to have their characters meet up elsewhere, they're free to use our thread to do so.

Oh my God, we're back again.

Brothers, sisters, everybody sing.

Gonna bring the flavor, show you how.

Gotta question for ya, better answer now.

Am I original?

Yeaaaah.

Am I the only one?

Yeaaaah.

Am I punc-tu-al?

No, not really...

Am I everything you need? You better rock your body now.

Everybody.

Rock your body.

Everybody.

Rock your body right.

Backstreet's back.

Alright.

Just gonna slide in here real quick to say that this all has been super awesome so far, both OOC and IC. Keep up the amazing work you lot <3 it's been a joy to follow.

Oh gosh. I am still not used to the fact that I have fans. Thank you thank you thank you! I'm so glad you're enjoying our work! If a spot ever opens up, you'd be more than welcome to join!

To translate for the Kirby-impaired:

http://www.canterlot.com/topic/21700-golden-age-comics-issue-2-wednesdays-child/

He's got the second issue started.

I do need a translator, don't I?

Welcome back, Kirby! :D I worried this was gonna discontinue. Oh, and happy thanksgiving everyone!

Glad to be back! And I have far too many rotten ideas in my head to not vent them out and make you all fight them. Happy Thanksgiving! ^_^

Oh gosh. I am still not used to the fact that I have fans. Thank you thank you thank you! I'm so glad you're enjoying our work! If a spot ever opens up, you'd be more than welcome to join!

Heh, and thank you and your players for doing such awesome work! Perhaps someday Changing Tides will get to torment entertain everyone! X3

Posting from my phone so Dusty's maroon and bold lettering will have to wait, but either way glad to be doing this again! Figured I'd just include a scene earlier to kinda sum up what Dusty has been up to between events.. That is to say, The Usual. The Muscle of the group ain't that good with legal matters and is just kinda on call until it's time to break things.

When you type text into this box, there's a menu bar right above the text.  It includes 'Font', 'Size', and then a dropdown for text color.  Highlight your text, then select a color from that dropdown.  That's all there is to it!

By the way, Razorwind?  The theatre isn't called "The Hearts and Hooves".  It's called the "Scenes, Songs, and Steps".

Archived