The Golden Age of Comic Books: A Mutants and Masterminds campaign. Interest and OOC here!

Okay, I've put together a preliminary character sheet; if my math is right, what I've put down should cost 81 points. I'm still a little confused on how to invest in saves/combat bonuses, given my current spread of powers and feats. I'm also trying to figure out how to integrate mechanically Pagemaster's rather significant and obvious weaknesses to fire and water. Oh, and I don't think I qualify for the "Normal Identity" Drawback; since his powers are an acquired enhancement to his natural magic.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to start in reverse!

First off, you're right. Since it's all tied in to extraordinary Unicorn magic, no, Normal Identity doesn't quite click for you. But, while I'm on the page for Drawbacks, Power Loss fits you nicely. Two of them, actually. A 2 point Power Loss for Fire and a 3 Point Power Loss for Water. I'm going by likelihood of you encountering each of these, as flamethrowers and burning buildings will be stastistically seen less than simply turning on an office sprinkler system. So that's an extra 5 points right there.

Now, as for Combat/Saves, I've struggled with those as well. The good news is, some of the combat stuff you may be failing to invision, it can be done cheaper and more flavorfully with Feats. For instance, let's say I was building... this guy:

3346436-5063923970-Jugge_zpsed8de503.jpg

The Juggernaut. Marvel's unstoppable big guy. Now, I know what you're thinking. I should have to buy a huge Attack bonus for this guy. Not really. Have you ever seen him use a ranged weapon? Or be good with that kind of thing at all? Nope. So, to save points and make things accurate for character concept, I would instead buy up the feats "Attack Focus [Melee]" or "Attack Specialization [unarmed]".

So, for your paper pusher, as his desk job, you mentioned little in the ways of combat experience. But with paper, he's a champion. So you could buy up the feat "Attack Specialization [Paper] 6" for 6 points, rather than a general Attack Bonus 6, which would cost you 12 points. A general Attack Bonus, especially at these levels, should be saved for the highly trained in all manners of combat.

Defense Bonus is the same way. Is he versed in not getting hit? Or is this guy not so much going to avoid combat but let his Force Field soak it all up? For instances where you're without paper, you could take ranks in the Dodge Focus feat. It provides you the exact same bonus as equal ranks of Defense with the downside of losing this bonus whenever you're denied it (stunned, flat-footed, surprise attacked or otherwise unable to defend yourself normally).

Saves, I always found easier, thankfully. Keep in mind that Will save, though. Your powers won't save you from mental attack and it will be the only thing keeping your teammates from fighting a mind controlled papermaster. Toughness is covered by your Force Field. No need to worry there. This leaves Fortitude (resistance to poison, for example) and Reflex (not getting caught by trap doors or explosions). They're really up to you, keeping in mind the story. Is he a stocky stallion who can pound back cider every night after work without getting tipsy? Then sure, pump up that Fort save.

That mainly changes how earth pony magic works. Not so much for the basic set, but Morning Glory's enhanced set has more ranks, so ... yeah. Now have plant control rank 6 instead of 7, and 45 points left unused to represent Morning Glory's untapped potential.

Happily, I have this all in a spreadsheet, so just had to make a few tweaks here and there and got the numbers right back out.

Eep! I totally missed this! Bramble and Kirby, awesome to see you both again!

I'd love to take part in this if its still open?

Edit: I'd kinda have to learn this system from the ground up, but I'm more then willing to. I've been wanting to take a shot at M&M edition for years

Heh. I'm learning the system from the ground up, too. No worries! :)

Come up with a concept, first - we can help you with numbers, then, as long as you have a concept in mind. We've got a unicorn who controls paper who kinda fills the 'green lantern' role (yay, controller) and a jet-pack-powered bat-winged badass normal pegasus that rather fills the Speedster role (yay, scrapper) And one Paragon (Superman, Thor) in the form of a part-time brand-new alicorn. (yay, tank - but she's kinda got more of a defender secondary than a scrapper secondary.)

So I suppose the most obvious of the remaining types available is blaster, but those early super teams were really scrapper-heavy. Blasters didn't really start coming out of the woodwork till silver age, though I can think of a few. The early Human Torch, for instance, and Dr. Strange... anyway. Just comic geeking. think of whatever you want, and we can help you put it together!

You're using City of Heroes archetypes there, buddy. He might not have played City of Heroes! In Mutants and Masterminds, however, there are more... well represented archetypes, considering how open ended the character generation is. Which is the real selling point of the game, mind. Razor, I've seen people build Dr. Gregory House. You can build ANYTHING. So, in keeping with the game's mechanics as well as golden age comic book themes, we're left with... a lot of options, actually.

Speedster, Paragon and "Controller" are taken. As well as a mystery for later. But costumed adventurers were in great abundance in the Golden Age. Having two fists and a gimmick was half of the Justice Society. Hourman, Dr. Midnite, Sandman, The Atom, Wildcat and Mr. Terrific. Core characters, no powers but guts. For a low-level setting such as the one I'm running, this is beyond acceptable. Lots of room to make yourself both effective in combat and fun to run around with.

Next up, we got those guys with empowerment. They were definitively more than human, but not quite... godlike yet. Starman and the Flash, for instance. Johnny Thunder as well, not by lack of power, but because Johnny is an idiot and his genie is literal minded. Plastic Man too, if we're stepping out of the JSA. Plus, I have an affection for the stretch powers. Happily doable for this campaign. You may find yourself budgeting a bit, but not if you get creative.

Finally, the gold medalists. Green Lantern, Dr. Fate, the Spectre, Captain Marvel. Few and far between, the creme of the crop and potentially hard to make with the now slim pickings of this campaign's measly 90 point spread. You may have to get VERY creative. And by creative, I mean min-max the point-buy system from here all the way to the Everfree Forest. *coughcoughBramblecoughcough*

Anyway, I digress. Like Bramble said, think of what you'd like to play. See if it fits in a... Depression-era American (with magical talking horses) setting. We will be more than happy to give numbers to your character concept! Nothing but love in this thread. Also, some semi-required reading for inspiration. I know it helped me get ideas: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheGoldenAgeOfComicBooks

I have actually played CoH (May it rest in peace...) so no worries! I think I understand what yall are talking about. The big thing here is I need to decide on a theme for a good super hero... hmm... I could go for a somewhat Scrapper/Blaster? Basically a hero who is a competent range fighter as well as close range.. hmm...!

Okay! I think I have an idea. To fit in with the sort of "Perilous Times and New Arising Heroes" mentality of the setting, I'll go with a Knife Master; an experienced dagger fighter and thrower. Think of a Nightwing-esque kind of super hero; the behind-the-scenes fighter. At least that's how he could start out! To fit in with the lower power, setting a simple pegasus wishing to do good dawns a dark, costumed apparel and uses the only thing he knows; Dagger Tricks. His origin? That's actually pretty easy to nail down; he's a performer! Having developed those knife skills by being part of a local Circus.

"By Day a Masterful Performer, By night a Silencer within the Shadows"

For a name... lessee:

Normal name shall be "Wind Edge"

Hero name shall be "The Swift Shade"

Seems like a good enough start for now! A more in depth background will be made later. For now, think this can get me started?

Edit: Orrrr if the Dagger concept has a bit too much potential for over-violence, how about a Staff performer instead? A "Thief Acrobat" type of brawler could be fun to play! Has range with a long polearm and has potential for a lot of maneuverability being a pegasus. Same names would apply still, but this is in case the Knife user wouldn't fit in too well.

I'm not the DM, but just my thoughts:

Given ponies... I'd say it somewhat depends on how you want to use the knives. There's an ability called 'ranged pin' which involves using thrown weapons or arrows to pin ponies to the wall by clothing, tail, or mane... you've seen how that works in movies. There's also the basic thought that when you throw the knives, you decide whether the blade of hilt of the knives hits. You know how many superheroes there are out there that use guns, knives, arrows, etc - but never kill or even necessarily wound anyone.

That being said - you could go with the 'throw anything' ability, too - where even normally non-throwable items become throwable, and just generally you can use whatever happens to be in the area, as well. There's a number of tinkerers among the group already - perhaps after the first session, once you've met them, you can expand his repertoire to include trick ammo? Set aside a few points for use once you've met the group.

For melee backup, I'm not sure you need a staff... I can think of a number of ways to fit in some sort of jackie-chan style martial arts, where you can bind them up in their own clothing, the nearby curtains, or whatever happens to be available ...

Just brainstorming based on the idea you're giving us.

A pole dancer. Okay. Wait. Wrong term. A pole fighter. I know I definitively like this more than the knife thrower. Everything about it to me screamed the 90's. But then, you just gave me concepts and haven't drummed up the details yet, so we're still fine. But I know I like the pole idea more. We can hash the mechanics of that out later. Let's talk story for a moment.

So far, the four (yes, four. One is a mystery.) ponies popping up have been the products of their environment. A former member of Luna's Night-guard seeks to redeem his company's good name, for her turn to Nightmare Moon has the press making them out to be traitors. An empowered civil servant called in from the mayor to kept calm a city gone mad. A scientist working to big order to chaos magic botches her experiment and fuses herself and her lab assistant into an Alicorn. The fourth is a mystery. I like that word. Mystery.

As a pole dancer, I can think of a few things flavor-wise. Keeping in mind the Depression-era backdrop Equestria has for this setting. Maybe he's an adventuring archeologist (like Hawkman or the Blue Beetle) who, upon defending some natives in Zebra territories was gifted with an artifact of power and alchemical blessings. Maybe he's a hobo down on his luck, riding the boxcars between cities, defending the helpless with a massive rod of wrought iron that only he is strong enough to lift. Maybe he's a reformed Mob enforcer. Maybe he's a rich socialite that feels miserable about the social divide and seeks to improve the system, but does it behind a mask for fear of repercussions.

Oh, and you could have a foal sidekick. Nobody has made a foal sidekick yet.

I dunno. These are random ideas, thinking about the City of Heroes character creator (Yay, you played too!) and the kinds of things you could make your battle-staff into. Like, how the War Mace power-set could be a mace or a shillelagh or a wrench or a hammer or a nightstick.

I'm rambling.

Hmmm.. both of you make good points. I think, however, I'll be going with the Pole Fighter now that I've had more time to think on it. Looking Kirby's suggestions I have a good idea of what his basic story will be. Rather then a pegasus he'll be an Earth Pony, and taking on after the Hobo idea from Kirby he'll be a sole defender for a small village of the poor and penny-less (bit-less in this case!), he'll be the "Wandering Stranger" variety of hero, whom decides to settle down in this small, barely stable town to keep it safe and orderly. His weapon will be the aforementioned pole, a rod of thick, sturdy oak with two metallic ends that would make it too unwieldy for any normal pony to use without stumbling, however he is able to use it as if it were light as a twig.

The pony's name shall be... hmm... Dusty Mane, seems like a decent, southern sounding name (Did I mention he'll have a southern droll to his voice? Because that's a thing that will be so). As for any sidekicks or the like I think he'd be one to work alone; a heavy, wide weapon like that would mean a foal sidekick would probably be in just as much danger as Dusty's enemies.

If we're thinking about specifics in terms of figuring out the numbers, Dusty is going to be both very strong and very nimble and acrobatic; needing to be strong enough to wield his weapon and dexterous enough to use it effectively. While I'm not sure how we'd bring that about in Stats and such I'm sure you (Kirby!) are much more knowledgeable in that area, but I can still give ball-park figures on his abilities and what not.

All right! And how do you see him controlling the staff? Does he balance on his hind legs and swing it around with his forelegs? Does he loop it in his long tail and battle like that? (We have seen AJ do that from time to time.) Does he wield it in his teeth? All valid ways of doing it - my own preference would probably be towards using the tail. I can mentally visualize better fight sequences that way. Second preference would be teeth. But this is, of course, your character.

I approve of the suthern drawl.

If he was the only defender of his small town, why did he leave? Where did he learn his skills? Why is he the only one who can heft his staff? And Thoroughbred City isn't exactly a 'small town' ... I don't think. It's got a university and long history ... biggest city for its area. Probably has a lot of areas for down-on-their luck ponies, though, come to the big city to seek their fortunes, and it didn't work out. The whole queendom is rather destabilized from the one-two kick of Discord and Nightmare Moon.

Thank you for all the help you two! Feels good to be putting the writing muscle back to work :)

Let's see.. for starters, Dusty used to be a down on his luck earth pony like the.others in his small town. While he was strong, diligent, and worked as hard as he could to keep his hometown stable there were always troubles that just seemed to find them. Thieves were the biggest problem, and were part of the reason the town couldnt grow; stolen currency or flat out shakedowns kept the town underhoof.

One day Dusty decided he'd had enough, and when a.local group of thieving bandits came in to 'collect' he stood up to them, taking about four of them on himself. While he fought well, even his strength couldn't outmatch their numbers, and he was beaten. However, after the fight, when the bandits were ready to leave, a single, cloth-robed and cowled pony stood behind them, a large, metal-ended staff held upon its back. The thieves made their usual tactic of threatening the enigma to move or be tossed aside , before the lone stallion spoke, his face unseen, but his voice sounding old and venerable.

"A life of taking that which does not belong to you.. that is a sorry life indeed."

Afterwards the bandits began taunting once more, advancing on the old stallion readying to teach him a lesson just as they did Dusty. One of the four made a move first, lifting a club to strike at the stranger, before the stallion nimbly stepped away, swiftly stood on his hind legs, and in the same motion spun himself around on them, drew his staff, and slammed one of the heavy metal ends across the thief, sending him flying back and knocked unconscious. Both the bandits and Dusty were momentarily confused and awed, before the fight broke out, with the three remaining thieves charging the enigmatic.fighter, whom just as easily struck them down as he did the first. As the kicked up dust cleared the stranger returned to his four hooves after holstering his staff,moving up to Dusty.

"You," he spoke, "Come with me. I have something important to discuss with you." And turned to move out of the village. Though Dusty hesitated, his curiosity of the strange veteran peeked and he followed. The stranger led the young stallion to a single, small camp not far from the tow's gates. The two sat together, whereupon the old fighter spoke before Dusty could ask anything.

"My name is not important, young one. Why exactly that is I will tell you in due time.. but for now, tell me who you are first."

Of course Dusty introduced himself, whereupon yhe old stallion continued, "Dusty Mane, you are a brave soul to have stood against the tide with not but your bare hooves. Though you failed, you still proved your heart was the strongest amongst your people.. that alone is impressive."

The stranger pulled his cowl down, revealing a time weathered, grey maned and black furred earth pony whose face showed his age.. yet of his body that could be seen he was clearly strong.

"First, take my weapon.. if you are able to lift it as I did, then we may begin." And he let his staff fall the ground, and the resounding "THUMP" after it hit the earth spoke to its weight. While Dusty had never lifted anything with only his forelegs, like the veteran had before, he still ave it an attempt, and after struggling to keep upright, he succeeded in lifting the greatly heavy weapon.

The old veteran simply nodded, and spoke once.more, "You have much to learn, but your youth gives you limitless potential.. and I will help you realize it."

For the next four months, Dusty would be trained under the old stallion in the art of Pole Fighting, and using the unusual stance of Hind Leg Standing to his advantage, while also training his body to better handle the Great Staff. The days were long and the training was grueling, but as the final day of the fourth month ended, Dusty had been fully changed from a diligent worker to a powerful , martial warrior under the old enigma's tutoring. Still, throughout the months never did the old stallion give his name.. but on the closing of the last day he addressed it.

"Dusty, you have come farther in these last few months then most ponies do in their entire lives... You have only one last thing to learn." He began. "My name is.. or was, Stone Heart. I no longer need that name, however, as my time is nearly at an end."

The veteran looked to his pupil, and despite Dusty's shocked and pained expression, he continued. "Before I went I wanted only one thing, to leave my teachings and my weapon in the capable hooves of anotherr, to pass on all I know so it would not fade.. and you have proved more then capable, my friend." He took his weapon, and set it before Dusty, "This is yours now.. I hope it serves you well on your lifetime as it did mine. Hearts as strong as yours are scarce, Dusty Mane, do not lose it.. for your courage is what gives you strength."

Turning his back to the young stallion, Stone Heart began to depart, "do not mourn me long, friend; for I go content and at peace.. " and with a last smile back over his shoulder the venerable stallion departed, never looking back again until he vanished into the dust clouds.

After that day Dusty Mane took up his late teacher's weapon and worked to defend his town once more, and within a few weeks all local bandits began to attack the town less and less, fearful of the "Stallion with the Staff".

To his village he was still Dusty Mane, but to his enemies he gave a single name, to carry on the spirit of its old owner.

"Stone Heart" was the name he left them.

For the next two months the lack of bandits and thieves allowed the town to begin putting itself back together, however it still lacked adequate funding for its needs. There was only one place anypony in the town could think of where they may have a chance. "Thoroughbred City: Where riches.are earned and opportunity is abundant."

Dusty expressed his desire to take his newfound skills to the city, believing there would be a use for them somewhere, and hopefully one that be rewarding enough to help stimulate the small village, though he was hesitant to leave for fear of the thieving to return. The small group of residents came to Dusty to assure him that because of his bravery they were now more willing to stand against any threat, and encouraged him to go. Taking their best wishes and blessings, the newly made warrior set off for the city, the goal of securing his home's future on his horizon, and the memory of Stone Heart fresh in his mind.

...WELL! I.. did not mean to go on like that, but.. well there ya go. I hope that all works, since I still ahvent worked out all the details, like the story of the old stallion Stone Heart, but that seems like a decent starting point overall, possibly?

Okay. First off, wow, wall of text. I love it. Always write more. Now onto details.

Can I just ask a thing first? Can he please please please have the name 'Dusty Roads' instead? It just rolls off the tongue. It comes with dreams of travel, of open air, of wandering! Next thing to ask is the name of the small town. What did he do there? Why is his home going broke? I think this is more of my preconceived notions of the word "bandit", how I would usually associate it with a sword and sorcery game. I am more than willing to put your little neck of the woods on the map, make it a part of the continuity. Also, still no explanation as to why this staff is so special. Is it just heavy? Magic? Highly unbalanced? Give me as many details as you can in that application.

But yeah, I like where this is going! By all means, keep going! I'm excited to see how this turns out.

Okay, further clarification!

The town's name is Redhoof Village, and I envisioned it being in a sort of Old Dusty Plains locale. It is facing financial difficulty because of the slowed trade of the era; it used to be a comfortable farming town, similar to Applelooza (I probably didn't spell that right!) Specifically for peppers and other spices, however as the surrounding area fell into that depression trade began to slow and demand for their spices dropped. There were already only a handful of ponies left after some moved away, so when a group of outlaws began to take from.the town even more fled (the use of bandits was really just a general term for "roughousers who shake down easy targets for all they have left" and Dusty Roads (I like that name better anyway, so yes Kirby it shall be changed!) Was a local plower and geneal heavy lifter.

As for the staff itself its uniqueness comes from the fact that it is already incredibly heavy, but Stone Heart, its original owner, created the weapon as well as request a special enchantment on it. The staff can only be held by the owner it is bound to, or anypony they willingly give it to. If somepony were to try and steal the staff it would be even heavier then normal to them and be impossible to lift, let alone use as a weapon.

Hope thats all good enough! ^^;

I can't think of anything else at the moment though I'm sure some insight will come to me at like, 4 in the morning. In the meantime, cram all that plus his looks inside an application and then we can work on those numbers! Should you require it, I think I can still grab the PDF of the handbook.

Name/Alter Ego: Dusty Roads, AKA: "Stone Heart"

Sex: Stallion

Species: Earth Pony

Eye Color: Blue

Coat: Light Brown

Mane/Tail:Black

Physique: Powerful, but still lean enough to be acrobatic and athletic.

Residence: Former Redhoof Village worker, now a vagabond bound for Thoroughbred City

Cutie Mark: A Cactus surrounded by a cloud of dust

Costume: Light grey rags, similar to that ones the original Stone Heart wore, with a rimmed, cowcolt hat to protect himself from the sun during his travels.

History:

Dusty used to be a down on his luck earth pony like the.others in his small town of Redhoof. While he was strong, diligent, and worked as hard as he could to keep his hometown stable there were always troubles that just seemed to find them. Thieves were the biggest problem, and were part of the reason the town couldnt grow; stolen currency or flat out shakedowns kept the town underhoof.

One day Dusty decided he'd had enough, and when a.local group of thieving bandits came in to 'collect' he stood up to them, taking about four of them on himself. While he fought well, even his strength couldn't outmatch their numbers, and he was beaten. However, after the fight, when the bandits were ready to leave, a single, cloth-robed and cowled pony stood behind them, a large, metal-ended staff held upon its back. The thieves made their usual tactic of threatening the enigma to move or be tossed aside before the lone stallion spoke, his face unseen, but his voice sounding old and venerable.

"A life of taking that which does not belong to you.. that is a sorry life indeed."

Afterwards the bandits began taunting once more, advancing on the old stallion readying to teach him a lesson just as they did Dusty. One of the four made a move first, lifting a club to strike at the stranger, before the stallion nimbly stepped away, swiftly stood on his hind legs, and in the same motion spun himself around on them, drew his staff, and slammed one of the heavy metal ends across the thief, sending him flying back and knocked unconscious. Both the bandits and Dusty were momentarily confused and awed, before the fight broke out, with the three remaining thieves charging the enigmatic.fighter, whom just as easily struck them down as he did the first. As the kicked up dust cleared the stranger returned to his four hooves after holstering his staff,moving up to Dusty.

"You," he spoke, "Come with me. I have something important to discuss with you." And turned to move out of the village. Though Dusty hesitated, his curiosity of the strange veteran peeked and he followed. The stranger led the young stallion to a single, small camp not far from the tow's gates. The two sat together, whereupon the old fighter spoke before Dusty could ask anything.

"My name is not important, young one. Why exactly that is I will tell you in due time.. but for now, tell me who you are first."

Of course Dusty introduced himself, whereupon the old stallion continued, "Dusty Roads, you are a brave soul to have stood against the tide with not but your bare hooves. Though you failed, you still proved your heart was the strongest amongst your people.. that alone is impressive."

The stranger pulled his cowl down, revealing a time weathered, grey maned and black furred earth pony whose face showed his age.. yet of his body that could be seen he was clearly strong.

"First, take my weapon.. if you are able to lift it as I did, then we may begin." And he let his staff fall the ground, and the resounding "THUMP" after it hit the earth spoke to its weight. While Dusty had never lifted anything with only his forelegs, like the veteran had before, he still gave it an attempt, and after struggling to keep upright, he succeeded in lifting the greatly heavy weapon.

The old veteran simply nodded, and spoke once.more, "You have much to learn, but your youth gives you limitless potential.. and I will help you realize it."

For the next four months, Dusty would be trained under the old stallion in the art of Pole Fighting, and using the unusual stance of Hind Leg Standing to his advantage, while also training his body to better handle the Great Staff. The days were long and the training was grueling, but as the final day of the fourth month ended, Dusty had been fully changed from a diligent worker to a powerful, martial warrior under the old enigma's tutoring. Still, throughout the months never did the old stallion give his name.. but on the closing of the last day he addressed it.

"Dusty, you have come farther in these last few months then most ponies do in their entire lives... You have only one last thing to learn." He began. "My name is.. or was, Stone Heart. I no longer need that name, however, as my time is nearly at an end."

The veteran looked to his pupil, and despite Dusty's shocked and pained expression, he continued. "Before I went I wanted only one thing, to leave my teachings and my weapon in the capable hooves of another, to pass on all I know so it would not fade.. and you have proved more then capable, my friend." He took his weapon, and set it before Dusty, "This is yours now.. I hope it serves you well in your lifetime as it did mine. Hearts as strong as yours are scarce, Dusty Roads, do not lose it.. for your courage is what gives you strength."

Turning his back to the young stallion, Stone Heart began to depart, "Do not mourn me long, friend; for I go content and at peace. " and with a last smile back over his shoulder the venerable stallion departed, never looking back again until he vanished into the dust clouds.

After that day Dusty Roads took up his late teacher's weapon and worked to defend his town once more, and within a few weeks all local bandits began to attack the town less and less, fearful of the "Stallion with the Staff".

To his village he was still Dusty Roads, but to his enemies he gave a single name, to carry on the spirit of its old owner.

"Stone Heart" was the name he left them.

For the next two months the lack of bandits and thieves allowed the town to begin putting itself back together, however it still lacked adequate funding for its needs. There was only one place anypony in the town could think of where they may have a chance. "Thoroughbred City: Where riches.are earned and opportunity is abundant."

Dusty expressed his desire to take his newfound skills to the city, believing there would be a use for them somewhere, and hopefully one that be rewarding enough to help stimulate the small village, though he was hesitant to leave for fear of the thieving to return. The small group of residents came to Dusty to assure him that because of his bravery they were now more willing to stand against any threat, and encouraged him to go. Taking their best wishes and blessings, the newly made warrior set off for the city, the goal of securing his home's future on his horizon, and the memory of Stone Heart fresh in his mind.

Character Summary:

Dusty Roads is a powerful staff fighter who combines his strength, acrobatics and unique fighting stance to become an unpredictable flurry of oak and iron. The stallion was once a diligent plower for his small village, but has since taken the toll of securing a financial future for his home by travelling to Thoroughbred City in search of opportunity, where his skills could possibly be put to rewarding use.

Abilities:

Superior Staff Fighting: As it says on the tin. Dusty is trained in his old mentor's way of Hind-Leg Staff Fighting, an art lost to many ponies, but the few who can master it are legendarily skilled.

Skills:

(TBD: Still need to familiarize myself with the actually Skills in the game)

Feat:

(TDB As well)

Powers:

No real powers, only martial skill and strength

Combat:

(TBD)

Saves:

(TBD)

Equipment:

Ragged Clothing: The mark of any vagabond warrior; Dusty donned similar garbs that his old mentor wore to mark him as a vessel for the original Stone Heart's ways.

Enchanted Staff: A weapon that Dusty has nicknamed "Twin-Iron". It it his weapon of choice and the only one that he was trained in; it was enchanted by the former Stone Heart to only be usable by those whom he willingly gave the weapon over to. Dusty is the only pony in existence, presently, that can use this weapon as it was given to him by his mentor. Anypony that attempts to take the weapon without Dusty's permission will find it unrealistically heavy, far more so then normal, and be unable to even lift it.

Minion/Sidekick:

(None Presently)

OKay! So, application is now up, with much of it under To Be Determined as the numbers still have to be worked out (and I still need to find listings of all the abilities and what-not) but hopefully this is enough to get started with figuring out the specifics!

Edit: As an addendum to this, I will probably need that PDF

Sorry so sorry this took so long =_= But I'm getting it posted up now.

Warning: Wall of text incoming.

Application and Character Info:

Name/Alter Ego: Star Flight / Captain Nightguard

Sex: Male

Species: Bat-wing Pegasus

Eye Color: Purple, slitted

Coat: Charcoal

Mane/Tail: Dark blue-purple, short and spikey

Physique: Very fast and agile

Residence: Dusk Gait (batwing community near Thuroughbred City)

Cutie Mark: Shield with Cresent Moon

Costume: Leather jacket, leather helmet, goggles. Jetpack. Two underwing micro-stormcloud cannons.

Character Summary: One of the former soldiers of Princess Luna's Night Guard, the ones who fought the monsters that came out in night, he lost his wing to Nightmare Moon, which he and other Night Guard refer to "The Darkest Nightmare", the fiercest monster of the type Luna created them to fight. Still fiercely loyal to the memory of "the True Princess Luna" he views those that followed Nightmare Moon as traitors, but keeps his fighting spirit in honor to her, as well as something he's always felt he needed to do. His love of flight is what led his tinkerer of a sister to create the jet pack for him to return to the skies, and that's where he returned to his duties, in spite of the worried criticism from his sister, who builds devices to try to keep him safe because she knows there isn't stopping him now. Stern and disciplined, he was trained to fight monsters in the past, and now does so in hopes to teach the other ponies the bat-winged ponies are not all traitors, no matter how much he hates to be in the spotlight.

History:

Born and raised in Martindale, a pegasus city mixed with the bat-winged pegasi and feather-winged brethren, the statement his family said is he took flight and never bothered to set his hooves down again. He was a constant night flyer and in school was one of the top racers in his region, but as he grew up he saw his future to be in the Lunar Guard, the ponies that swore to protect Equestria and the Princesses (though like most of his kind, he preferred the night than the day.) His family worried, especially his younger sister, but he would not be deterred and the moment he was able to he signed up and joined the guard.

When he applied to the guard he was excited, especially when it turned out he would be stationed in Canterlot! This excitement did drain very quickly when he found his first post was on a tower, off away from the crowds, when most the ponies were asleep. It was far from the fast life he expected to the boredom that was the reality. But he didn't let it dissuade him, and he trained to get better, and it wasn't long before he found his next posting drawing a chariot. He remembered the mild annoyance until he realized who was coming to ride the chariot, none other than the beautiful mistress of the night Princess Luna. He kept working up the ranks of the Lunar Guard, learning not to flinch when standing at the side when the Royal Canterlot voice came, sometimes having to drag a rambunctious pony that didn't understand the word "no" out of the halls, but he still never felt that he was protecting anything. Finally one day he found himself invited by his superiors to join the Night Guard.

The Night Guard was what Luna created to protect ponies from the beasts that prey upon them. She can stop any of the monsters coming in herself, but she can be only in one place, so there is the Night Guard to be her hooves when she's elsewhere. Most ponies didn't know about it, not because it was secretive, but as Star Flight's training LT in the Guard said the first day "If ponies don't know what we're doing, we're doing it right. That means anything big hasn't gotten close enough for them to notice. Those stories you were told as foals about things that go bump in the night? We're the ones that bump back!" The change was quick, instead of dealing with irate ponies who wouldn't go past yelling in his face, Star Flight found him facing down hydras, cockatrices, and other assortments of beasts. This was what he searched for so long, protecting others, working as a team, working as one. As the nightly beginning came, all the batwinged ponies lined up, as well as the few unicorn, pegasi, and earth ponies that stayed up in the night called out as one in response to "Who are you!?!" "I AM NIGHT GUARD!"

His family worried about him, but he always told them he'd be alright. There was nothing they haven't faced before, and they had a Princess who helped when things got too bad. That changed one fateful day. Star Flight had just gone to bed after an uneventful night, only to be awoken a few hours later hearing the panic voices out in the hall. When he came out he saw the moon was still in the sky, no sun, and was confused, thinking may be something might have attacked Celestia and kept the sun from rising. However when he reached the main hall, he found Night Guard fighting amongst themselves, some calling to stop the monster, some calling to the aid of the Princess. And in the center of all the chaos, there she was, The Darkest Nightmare, Nightmare Moon. He launched himself into the air, drawing his saber but calling out to her as many had that this had to stop, that she had created the guard to protect ponies. He dodged about when the blast from her horn dislodged ceiling, she wasn't even aiming at him and it was a close call! He charged in, even though she may have once been the Princess he was loyal to, she was the monster that she wanted to keep ponies safe from, this was not Luna, but the Nightmare! He raised his saber up, but to find her eyes focus on him just a moment. He barely had time to veer when the blast came, but the pain that went through his wing was more than anything he had felt, and he slammed to the ground, laying there dazed and watching the fight, watching those that were sworn to stop the Nightmare fall, and those that chose to protect it go out to the world before he let the pain slip away as he lost consciousness.

Star Flight awoke to a pony touching him, squinting his eyes at the sunlight streaming in from the hole in the ceiling, Sun Guard surrounding what's left of the Night Guard, and nurses tending to them. It was that time that he finally learned what happened, that one of his wings had been blasted off at the joint, cut in half. He was too shocked to even think beyond that he would never be able to fly again, he barely even noticed when Celestia came and said something to them all, he only learned at the hospital when he had time to process that the Night Guard had been disbanded by Celestia officially as many had turned to the side of The Nightmare, and those that hadn't were all injured, some like him with permanent wounds, but they were to be commended for fighting when they did. He also learned that Nightmare Moon... Princess Luna... had been banished to the moon. From there he moved back in with his sister, Moonlit Forge, not even able to stay up in clouds without the ability to fly, being a tinkerer she prefered the ground where it was "More stable for machinery than clouds." And he moved with many of the other bat-winged ponies when they started finding their homes vandalized and marked as "traitors to equestria" by other ponies because of those that joined Nightmare Moon. They moved cloud homes near a set of bluffs, some moving to the more secure caves of the bluffs and formed a small town, Dusk Gait, near Thoroughbred City. Star Flight paced about in the cave his sister moved in until she finally told him he had to Thoroughbred City each day to try to find work or as she begged "Please... find something to focus on." just hoping he'd have the same joy he used to have.

One night coming home, Moonlit Forge grabbed Star Flight and drug him in with excitement. He didn't know how to react to when she started pulling stuff out, putting things on him, a backpack, straps going across, then she pulled out a piece of angular brass, fitting it over the part of his wing that had been lost, the rest of both his wings have brass bracing along the bone for balance and bracing she said. Finally explaining after the questioning look, she explains she made a jet pack that was aurora powered "Not rainbow powered! That stuff is too volatile, it would be easier as it doesn't have to be distilled like the Aurora, but also one misfire and BOOM!" when told to calm she goes back to what she was saying the brass wing to give him the ability to use his wings for lift, the jet pack to give the actual thrust as it'd be too heavy to flap. It took a couple crashes, discovering a need for helmet and goggles at the speed it goes, and worried responses from his sister before he finally figured out how to fly with the new wings, gaining a new skip in his gait to at least be able to retake his beloved skies. It was still a directionless time for him, but at least with flying he managed to pick up a sky writing job, blasting extra fuel to drop and aurora trail, so when he did such at night it showed well to those that stayed up to party at these rough times.

While returning from a skywriting job, Star Flight saw one of the night flying airships that was being ridden by the elites of Thoroughbred City. But what he saw in the passing was a group of three ponies with their faces covered, robbing the rich up on the airship and immediately turned to land on the ship. When he landed he could hear the banging from the lower passages where the bodyguards where locked away from their charges. One of the goons looked to him, holding up a heavy stick with a knob at the end telling him it was best he not stick his nose in business where it doesn't belong. Star Flight just smirks a moment, kicking on the engines of his jet pack before hitting his front hooves on the front deck, turning off the engines and double rear hooves spinning about to kick into the goon, knocking him senseless. Star Flight saw the second one, zipping up and getting into a boxing match with the pony, finally bringing a hoof up under the jaw and knocking that one out, in time to see the third one, a pegasus, holding a foal over the edge telling him "Come any closer, I'll drop her!" Star Flight hesitates a second, and the robber takes that as a moment to jump and start flying. The second anyone moved the foal was dropped, and Star Flight immediately ran for the edge of the ship and jumped off, kicking off his engines at full blast to catch up to the foal. The second he caught the plummeting foal he realized he was going straight for the ground, changing angle a bit and wraps the foal in a protective embrace with his wings over her until he slammed into the ground, the brass wing hitting first and dragging along the ground protecting the both of them. He waited a moment, realizing he didn't even have an injury after such a move, before muttering "That could have been a bit more graceful." As he got up and the little filly was bounding around in excitement and many ponies running up, of those including reporters. While the reporter was getting the report from the filly, the attention Star Flight was getting from the other ponies finally had him just say a simple "Excuse me" and launch off in a cloud of aurora. By the time he got home his sister was waiting outside with a frown on her face, she never said a word as he entered, only to hear on the radio the talk about the "Mysterious bat-winged stranger who flew in and stopped a robbery while saving a filly. We do not know who he was but he seemed to be wearing some kind of jet pack-" and that's the point Moonlit Forge turned off the radio and started on him "I didn't make the pack for you to get into dangerous situations again! This is how you got injured so badly before!" She continues without him able to get a word in as she yells at him, completely upset he'd get back into danger again, and he noticed a change somewhere in the yelling "And this is the first good news that our kind has had since Nightm- since The Nightmare. And you left without a word, without letting them know that indeed we all aren't those that followed her." Star Flight hugged his sister as she finally calmed down from her yelling simply saying "Princess Luna created the guard so that we may protect ponies. Just because her sister disbanded us, and because I'm injured, if I have the ability, I will not stop my duty. But hopefully from here forward, I can bring pride back to us." It was the true promise he could give, and she knew it had to be that way.

Not a month later, and still a relatively quiet one Moonlit Forge tinkered on the pack, adding two cannons under his wings "They're microstormclouds. The aurora charges them. I didn't make the pack for you to get in trouble, but I know you will now. At least these might keep you at a bit of a distance." He as always chides her on worrying too much before taking off to his usual skywriting job, at least getting the hang of now snagging stormclouds at his speed to make longer lasting messages that flicker in the sky. While over the city he heard screams and looked down, a massive snake writhing about in the streets, made of vine and treelimbs. "What? That's not a timber wolf, but that acts like..." but he didn't have time to cover that, diving straight in hoping to either knock out the terrorizing snake or drive it out of town. First shot from his cannons hitting it right in the head, he cheers out, only to see it come up to grab him, far too slow but something different "Great. Now I have a large snake that's on fire that apparently doesn't freak out about it. How does it let itself get that dry?" he mulls over why it's not making sense, letting it chase him to where he hits a water tower with his lightning bolts, dousing the creature with water to put it out, the chase turning it upon itself to slow the creature down as he weaves about in the street, making sure that it's keeping its concentration on him instead of the other ponies on the street. When he notices the street is finally clear of innocents he looks up, turning a fast climb to blast the lightning at the supports of a billboard and weaving past it as it drops down cutting off the head of the vine snake. He landed up on top of the building, looking down on it with a smirk "Messier than a I prefer, but at least it... what?" the snake gets back up, it's head splitting into two, glaring up at him with the green eyes. Star Flight dives off the building as the snake reaches up for him, going back into flight, watching the snake twist about behind him, trying to catch him "Not a hydra, not a timber wolf, acts like both, there is no creature I've ever seen like that and... who is that?" his watching he saw a pony on the ground wearing a green hood, her green eyes glaring at him with every movement. He takes a moment to think, pulling up a loop so he'd have time to aim the cannons down without firing, sure enough what he expected, the snake moved it's body over the pony to protect her "So there's the head of the snake..." he dives straight into the coils of the snake, dodging and looping about, wiping his goggles clear of the water when its now soaking form came so very close to catching him as he tries to get close to the pony. Finally when the snake is nearly coiled in on the two of them he finds an opening and jets straight out to land on the street, the coils opening as the pony comes out with a laugh "Surely interloper you see now how useless it is for you to fight me and my pet." To which Starflight smirked "No ma'am. I just wanted to see how much water I could squeeze out of that snake over you." when he fires the cannons, the lightning hitting the soaked snake, arcing down into the puddle the pony was standing in where she yelled and dropped, immediately following her all the vines collapsing about into the street no more than pure wood. As the police and ponies start coming up from their hiding places, Star Flight is already digging her out of the vines to hoof her knocked out form to them "Might want to keep her from plants when you take her away I don't know how big she can make these." He starts to step away when a mare stops him, called herself Whinnyfred Bowfils, a notepad in front of her as she starts barraging him with questions. Pausing in surprise, he wasn't one to be up front, to do the talking, he did his job and moved on and suddenly now in the spotlight he pauses until he heard a question echo from the past "Who are you?" to which he responded "I am Night Guard. My sworn oath and duty is to protect ponies from the monsters and creatures of the night so that they may sleep peacefully and without worry." That simple message is what he knew to say, and left them with that, hoping the message was put across.

He returned home to an arched eyebrow from his sister, hearing on the radio "... This pony is starting to be called Captain Nightguard," Star Flight facehoofed, "named after the Princesses now disbanded Night Guard-" "Princess Luna's" Star Flight corrected but listened on "- who swooped in and stopped the madmare who was controlling the plants to break into the First Bit and Trust..." they listened to the report through the night as the discussion ranged from the bat-winged ponies being up to something, to others saying it's good to see someone trying to protect ponies from these increasingly strange times. The next day Star Flight found his name was going to be solidly called that as it was written all in the newsprints and even someone caught the sign cutting the head of the snake on newsreel, but it seems finally once again ponies are starting to talk about the bat-winged pegasi again not as traitors, but as ponies again.

Character Sheet

Abilities: (20 PP)

Strength: 10

Dexterity: 18

Constitution: 14

Intelligence: 10

Wisdom: 14

Charisma: 14

Saves: (12 PP)

Toughness 0 (+2)

Fortitude 4 (+6)

Reflex 6 (+11)

Will 2 (+4)

Combat: (12 PP)

Attack 6

Defense 0 (Dodge adds 6)

Initiative +12

Skills: (17 PP)

Acrobatics: 8 (+12)

Diplomacy: 4 (+6)

Intimidate: 8 (+10)

Investigate: 6 (+6)

Knowledge: Nobility: 4 (+4)

Knowledge: Monsters: 4 (+4)

Medicine: 2 (+4)

Notice: 8 (+10)

Profession: Guard: 6 (+8)

Search: 6 (+6)

Sense Motive: 4 (+6)

Survival: 6 (+8)

Swim: 2 (+2)

Feats: (23 PP)

Attractive: 1 (+4 Bluff/Diplomacy for those who find you attractive)

Dodge Focus: 6

Power Attack: 1 (Take up to -5 to attack to add +5 to DC of damage)

Improved Initiative: 2 (+8 initiative)

Evasion: 2 (No damage on successful reflex save, 1/2 damage on failed save)

Blind Fight

Improved Defense: (+6 instead of +4 with full defense)

Move-by Action: (Move and act and move again)

Precise Shot: (Ignore penalties for making ranged attack into melee)

Uncanny Dodge: (Cannot be surprised unless assailant is absolutely silent)

Endurance: 2

Inspire: Spend hero point: Grant +1 to two allies for attack, save, and checks

Startle: Use intimidate instead of bluff to feint in combat

Equipment: Shop, sister

Complications: (-10 PP)

Struggling (-1)

Normal Identity (Longer than full round action to change): (-5)

Missing Wing (common, moderate) (-3)

Powers: (1 PP)

Super Movement (Cloudwalk) (1PP)

Weather Control: 2 ranks (limit: touch range) (3PP)

Alternate Power: lightning Blast (limit: needs storm cloud) (1PP)

Alternate Power (Paralyze) (limit: requires Stormcloud) (1PP)

Racial Automatic: (-5 PP)

Gadgets:

Jetpack: (limits: Full round activate, aurora powered)

Flight: 4 (no hover)

Microstormcloud Cannons (blast 5)

(alternate: Stormcloud grenades)

Wing Guards: Protection 5 (Limit: When not flying, physical only) (Impervious)

Headquarters: The shop

Stat sheet for HQ and sister to follow

Archived