[ponyville]Rapids, Rapidly Fading...[closed, PM for invite]

Ashton

Emerald's lungs burned as the rapids pulled her back down again, the green mare coughed and fought to get her head back above water, with ever time she crested the surface it seemed her lungs had more water and less room for air in them... her vision was already starting to get blurry and dark around the edges...

What was wrong with these ponies? She could hear them walking across the bridge, Did they not hear her screaming? Did the just not care? This town so devoted to love and friendship letting a stranger drown in the rapids below the bridge? it was enough to make her want to teach them a lesson... of course that would be much easier if she was alive, and right now it looked like she wouldn't be possessing that particular 'gift' for much longer as she went under again...

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Darkshift had been watching the mare in the water, he wanted to help, but there were so many ponies on the bridge. He may have been a competitive, full of himself Changling, but he had a soft side there, or at least soft enough that he couldn't watch the mare drown. He took a deep breath and checked the bridge, it was mostly clear, now or never..

He took a deep breath and pelted out of the treeline and spread his wings, zipping across the water to the otherside, doing it once to test the speed and predict when she was gonna surface again. He spotted her green muzzle and darted across once more, this time he reached into the water..and by luck he grabbed a hoof! Not caring which hoof he grabbed at this point he hauled her out of the water and zipped into the trees with her, quickly setting her down and darting into the darkness to hide.

((Was this changeling in his natural form? I assume so because of the description, if not let me know and I'll edit))

Emerald was going down for the final time, she felt her consciousness fading and she could see a bright light, but just before she reached for it she felt a jerk at her hoof as she was pulled from the would-hr watery grave. Her vision was still blurry when she was set down, she coughed, forcing water from her lungs. Why had she never studied sea ponies? IF she'd been able to turn into a sea pony...

Emerald shook her head to clear it as she pushed herself up, shaking her entire body much like a dog to get the water off. She looked around, but her blurry vision didn't let her see whoever had rescued her, Emerald sighed, writing out her bags with her horn's glow "Looks like they dropped me and ran" she said, "...wonder if I can still see them from up above..." A green fire washed over her as her horn disappeared into her head and from her sides extended large pegasus wings. she gave them a few experimental flaps and got into a takeoff position... if her rescuer wanted to say anything, this would be the time...

[yes and he still is, in the shadows]

"A..another changling," Darkshift said, and took a deep breath, "Hey..mare," he said as he poked a normal pony head from behind a tree so any other eyes wouldn't see him as a Changling, "I'm here, come back here and explain why you left the Hive," he said as he sighed and looked back, "I'm like you, unless your an almighty wizard pony I'm pretty sure normal ponies can't turn forms like that," he said confidently. He was smug, he was cocky, and now he could care a little less about the mare he saved, it was just another changling like him, a low-life worthless creature.

He ducked behind the tree and waited, he figured he would just at least chat with some other pony, even if it was just a changling, but it was something to do. He did wonder if she had left the Hive or if she was a scout caught in the river much further up, whatever the case was he saved her. He felt a bit cocky now about that fact, that he was so brave and bold to risk his flank to save some random mare, how amazing of him, right?

The look on her face was not one of embarrassment, but one of anger, though not so much at the other changeling, but at herself - how could she have been so careless as to have changed where she could be caught! She was lucky it wasn't one of the more violent ponies or worse some pony with a connection to the princesses - after all she'd heard how Cadence had defeated their queen as well as Sombra, and worse, how Celestia and Luna had defeated Discord not one, but twice, not to mention Nightmare Moon, Tirek, and countless others... if she had been so unlucky to bring _theri_ wrath down on herself...

But she sighed, she was getting worked up over nothing, that hadn't happened. She turned to the other changeling, walked over to the shadows, this time being more careful "I am Emerald Dream" she said "or" the fire flashed over her to reveal her natural form "Creeping Shadow" the fire flashed over her again as she returned to her unicorn form "Hive is a word that holds little meaning for me" she explained "I was held back from the invasion of Canterlot due to my age, and I grew up afterwards, with a pony who took me in... she taught me many things, including right and wrong..." she paused "The ponies of this town are innocent. If you are a spy sent to determine a new target for your queen, then I will stand against you, just as if I were a pony by nature" she frowned "...but..." the frown softened "...if you are on your own, and open-minded, I am willing to talk... and I am willing to teach you a better way just blind obedience... if you will only listen" now she smiled a warm smile, showing a surprising amount of kindness towards the changeling.

"Ah the Canterlot Crisis, that was the day I left my idol," he sighed, "All my life I was a Scout to the Queen, I worshiped her, I mean all we did was capture a few random ponies here and there, no harm right?" he said as he looked to Emerald, "Anyway upon doing my scouting of Canterlot, I assisted in the barrier breaking part of the invasion, but after seeing them capturing all the ponies I left, I fled," he sighed, "I still look up to the Queen, but only because I don't know who else to look up to as a leader, but don't get me wrong, I will never enter the Hive again until they change for the better!" he said and sighed looking down, "But its harsh living outside the hive, alone, I found a pony form I enjoy and I do go into town from time to time to do an odd job or two to earn some bits for my needs," he explained, "I also live in the Whitetail forest, so many couples there to feed on, though I have not harmed any pony in a long time," he said and took on his Unicorn form and looked to her, "Now lwt's go continue this chat in town? Maybe go get some Ice cream?" he offered, trying to be friendly to the only mare..the only pony, he could speak so openly too.

"I pity you" she said "I only respect the queen's power, nothing more. I found some pony else to look up to as an idol, as a mother" she smiled, motioning to her form "this is the form of Emerald Dream, a form I wear out of respect for her and at her own request. She asked me to never steal the life of another pony, instead, to take her life since it was ending. AS such I have used this as my primary form ever since she passed on --- though I do occasionally use other forms for... various reasons..." she smiled, leaving him to wonder if she was making a dirty joke, implying she wasn't 100% on the "Straight and narrow" or perhaps something else entirely...

"I also travel from town to town" she explained, finally walking back towards ponyville now that they were through with the obvious and dangerous part of the conversation "I have a talent for interpreting dreams, and I use it to help ponies who are troubled. I have helped many this way, just like my teacher did" she smiled "I am told that once Qu-I mean *princess* Twilight was even referred to me, but of course she did not seek me out, no doubt she had the power to find her own answers" emerald chuckled, clearly having some respect and some minor disdain for Twilight, though it was not severe enough to warrant any actions against her.

"Princess," he spat, "Such a disgrace to those poor ponies, I mean with all that power they have every pony should bow down and worship them," he said still having not had enough time to really understand pony society, "I mean look at them, there taller, stronger, and both Unicorn and pegasus like us changlings, yet they act as if there not special, so naive," he said shaking his head, "but i digress, I just want to live in peace, and I'm sure I still have much to learn," he said and looked to her. He hated to admit it and would not say it outloud, but she was an attractive mare, even in her pony form, but he dare not say or think this though, she seemed one not to care about some cocky stallion like him.

[sorry short post is short :P]

Emerald shook her head, how much this changeling had to learn "b the way" she said, leaning in close before they got all the way into town "what is your pony name?" she asked, clearly concerned for him at least enough not to make a scene by refering to him by a name others in town had not heard... "And you are both right and wrong about these pony que- Princesses! Ugh... why cant they jsut call a rabbit a rabbit!" she snorted, annoyed with the terminology, but she recomposed herself quickly "you also seem to have not noticed something... these ponies do bow down and worship their leaders, especially the sun-butt" she smirked a tiny bit at her personal name for celestia "if you scare or suprise them, what do they say? 'oh sweet celestia!' and some it seem have a strange respect for luna with phrases like 'well buck me with luna's horn!' which I dont fully understand..." sh admitted, as they walked she smiled "you know... I'd be willing to teach you what I know... and if you intend to stay here a while it might make life easier on the both of us, as we could pool expenses..." she offered, not wanting to admit she liked having another changeling to talk to --- after all there were things she just oculdn't talk to these ponies about!

Darkshift looked to her as she suddenly stopped him and asked his name, "Well I just stuck with my Hive name, Darkshift, I know, a bit risky, but hey I'm an unoriginal pony!" he said and listened to her rant on a bit about the Princess's and a sun butt or something. He did care, and he did listen and nodded when she said about pooling expenses, "y..yeah, I do enough odd jobs and competitions that i got money I can use to spend," he laughed, "I barely go into the town, so I have little knowledge, but feel free to try and drill it into me," he smirked, "But good luck, you may not know but I'm a competitve, cocky pony, no reason ever not to be, I'm always alone," he looked away and sighed, "I guess I always was, even in the Hive, just another drone," he shook his head. He looked to the town beyond the hill and saw the Ice cream parlor, "but come on, lets get some food and just chat, then we can find a quiet place to talk about these ponies and there sun-butts"

The green mare giggled "sun-butt is just my name for Celestia since her cutiemark is a sun" she explained "I'd rather you not tell anypony about that, even if from what I've heard she'd just laugh it off" Emerald paused "And your name isn't very pony-like, I mean you'll fool a lot of ponies but some will question it, you might want to pick something a little less suspicious" as they walked, she continued "you seem very nice to me, and there's no reason for you to always be alone. After all, you just made a friend" she smiled

Darkshift sighed, "Yeah I know, it's just hard to come up with a new name," he said, "Plus my pony form fits it well, even if it is a bit odd," he said, "Plus if I change it now I may get more odd stares since I have done a bit of odd jobs so a decent amount of ponies know me," He explained, then smiled, "A..are you really serious, y..your willing to be my friend?" he asked, "or is this out of pity, because I do not need some pony pretending out of Pity!" he said confidently, but one could tell it was facade and behind the confident exterior he was very unsure of himself. He was new to everything, even having been away from the Hive for solong, but if she was really gonna be his friend then he was on a good path right? If not he would fight his way up to the top of the goodness tree, or something like that, he was a bit slow at learning at social things.

"If It wouldn't draw attention I'd make some wings and slap you" said Emerald "if I was going to trick you to be your friend out of sadness for you, I would have said so, or at the least made it more clear. This is mutually beneficial and I think we can help each other a lot. Not to mention we're pretty much the only changelings around, from what I hear... though that alone worries me... what if some pony finds out..." she sighed "...but we can burn that bridge when we come to it..." she smiled a little, it was obvious she enjoyed living among the ponies and didn't want to be cast out and exiled -or worse- and now that she had a friend, she didn't want to see that happen to him either.

"Burn that bridge?" he said and chuckled, "nope can't just cross it we gotta burn it?" he rolled his eyes, "someone seems a little pyromaniac," he teased as he walked with her, "So, Emerald, What is there to learn about this small town of Ponyville?" he asked as they entered the town. So many ponies smiled and walked around happily, chatting with friends and special someponies it made him feel a bit out of place, "There are a lot of ponies in this town, hard to believe with its small size," he said to Emerald. He noticed a few couples and looked to his hooves and sighed, "I feel so out of place in this town, a loner really, maybe we were never meant to be here?" he asked Emerald, "Maybe I was meant to just be alone?"

Emerald rolled her eyes "deep thought is lost on you, isn't it?" she teased "chances are there wont be any crossing that bridge, but, we can do things to improve our chances..." she looked over at a purple pony walking that way and nutched her friend so he would pay attention.

"Good Afternoon, Princess Sparkle" said Emerald, bowing as said princess neared

Twilight immediately turned quite red "Please... don't bow... just call me Twilight..." she said awkwardly

Emerald smiled "of course, Princess Twilight, my apologies, I hope the rest of your day is less... stressful"

Twilight laughed a little and nodded, heading off.

Emerald watched her go and smiled at dark "see, build up a good reputation and even if things go south you'll at least get a head-start" she said "no pony suspects I'm a changeling, some of them would laugh and call it a joke if I told them I was, much less if anypony else told them" she explained "*and* as a perk, if that rumor ever does start spreading, I have friends who will let me know right away, and I can get out of town before things go south" she explained "see, it's not so hard" she giggled

He had almost froze up as the Alicorn mare walked by and let out a deep exhale when she left and looked to her, "r..really? A goddess like her doesn't suspect anything?" he said turning back to look at the lovely mare then back to Emerald, "Why is it that having both wings and a horn is such a royalty?" he asked her quizzically, "I mean, its sort of normal for you know," he said as he looked to her, "But anyway like you said, you have friends, I..I only have you," he said and faintly blushed at the sentence, "I mean, you know, its not like, erm..." he looked away.

Emerald laughed "There really is something to be said about the magic of friendship, I dont know that she doesnt suspect _anything_ but she doesnt suspect anything _Bad_" she explained "Honestly, in the end I wouldn't be surprised if she found out and tried to help me" she said "You've let your fear control you, none of them are bad ponies... well almost none" she said, thinking back to seeing some fillies playing and getting bullied "But even the worst of them are still kind, trusting, and loving, give them a chance, open up to them just a tiny bit, and they'll all be nice to you and you'll have more than a few friends" she smiled

Darkshift sighed and nodded, "Yeah, but its hard to imagine they will accept me," he said with a laugh, "All I know how to do is be competitive and cocky," he grinned, "got me through all my life before, guess I figure why should I change?" he said and turned to the town, "I mean true friends won't care right, they just learn to accept it and deal with it?" he said, "Thats how it works right?" he asked as he admired the town still as he listened to her. She made sense, to a degree, but getting close to ponies seemed to risky, they may catch onto the disguise, see through his ploy. What if one asked about his past? or about his family? He shuddered and sighed, "I just don't think I can do it" he said as he turned to leave, they don't need me and I don't need them,we're both fine on our own," he said.

"Cocky and competitive?" she asked "ever heard of a pony named Rainbow Dash? I've never met her but I have unfortunately heard a lot about her, she's about as cocky and competitive as they come -so much I think I'd like to kick her int he face-, but she has lots of friends, including Princess Twilight herself" her horn glowed as she held onto Dark's tail "woah there, did I say you coudl leave yet? it's rude to leave then your friend is talking to you" she smiled "I'm not asking you to go make friends with everypony in town -I dont think this world could handle a second pinkie pie- right now just talk with me a while, learn to be _my_ friend, and we'll move on from there, ok?" she snickered "who knows, one day you may find yourself speaking to Sun-butt herself without flincing" she giggled, though she herself would never be able to do that, as much as she had been bragging to Dark about her ability not to worry and to be friends, she didnt think she coudl handle even being that near to Celestia... cripes if she'd not seen Twilight around town before she became a princess, she might not have even been able to talk to her!

Dark groaned a sshe puleld his tail..and his body, back beside her as she went on about how he needed to relax and just take it one step. He stood and sighed, "I..i guess your right," he groaned as he looked back toward the town, "I still just feel wrong, I mean why were we hidden from the world before the whole Canterlot incident?" he asked, "I just feel we are not meant for there world" he looked down, "I just feel i don't really belong anywhere"

[sorry im tired :P short post very short post :(]

((it's fine))

Emerald rolled her eyes "yeah, and as long as you think this way you'll continue not to belong" she said "We're no worse than them, they're no better than us, maybe one day we can all come to the same conclusion and live in harmony, but right now we have to take precautions, you can start by telling yourself that you _do_ belong, and if your as stubborn as you claim you are, then you'll be able to convince yourself of it quick and nopony will ever be able to change your mind" she smiled again

"little issue, I'm too stubborn to admit defeat," he said to her rolling his eyes, "I mean so far I have no proof I should believe you," he said looking at her, "Ohhh, you managed to talk to Twilight without freezing up like I did, that doesn't mean they want you, or us," he said, "I mean its bad when we have to hide, have to cower behind a disguise to have a somewhat normal life," he said a bit irritated. He looked back into the forest, "Sure I'm alone and unwanted back there, but I'm free, I can be myself and not have to worry, I can show my true form, no critter will scream in terror, no tree will harm me," he said and turned to her, "Plus, like you said, I'm a bit of an odd pony with a name like Darkshift," he said, "I mean who really wants some creepy black pony named Darkshift living in there lovely peaceful city," he looked away, "No pony," he sighed. He looked to her and smiled, "I appreciate you want to be my friend, but lets face it, I'm a freak, but at least you have a chance, your more pony then I could ever wish to be," he said and sat, "It's just the harsh reality."

Emerald sighed, though her expression hardened "I don't disagree with you" she said "I'd love to be able to hold my head up high and announce to the town that I was a changeling and be greeted with the same respect -no more, no less- than any other pony or griffin... but those are not the times we live in, sadly" she sighed "if you really want to just be along, then I can't stop you, your welcome to leave at any time" she said, though she sounded disappointed that he did...

"Emerald, I..I just don't see a point," he said sad and defeated, "I'm just one worthless drone? What am I gonna do to change there minds if I have to hide my entire life?" he said and looked to her. He could tell she was saddened and he sighed, "I..I just better go, I'm clearly making you upset by my presence," he said as he trotted back toward to woods, head down and tail drooping, "I..I'm sorry I wasted your time Emerald, h..have a good life," he said

Emeral shook and her face turned into a snarl as her hoof lashed out to strike him across the face "Dont you say such trots!" she said "Your not worthless and you didnt waste my time!" she said, her eyes narrowing "I can be stubborn too..." she said as her magic grabbed him by the neck a bit too tight "and you know what? I'm not going to let you act like this, I'm not going to let you go run to some squalid little hole in the ground and cry about how worthless you are and how you cant change anything!" Emerald's outburst was causing more than a few ponies to stop and stare now "You might not be able to change *everything* but you *can* change your own circumstances!" she said, a few stray tears falling "You may not be an alicorn king, but your still important! Your important to yourself and your important to me! Your my friend..." she pulled him in close and put her hooves around him, though still holding him in place with her magic "And that alone means your very important and very special"

The ponies watching all seemed to smile and glancing at one another they began to applaud Emerald's little speech

Emerald was turning red, but maintained her grip on dark... she was going to fix him even if it killed her!

Archived