aerial_supremacy_by_equestria_prevails-d82ht1c.png

Flight of Pinto

Java Portrait

After many long years of work, research, and pain, Java's long term goals has finally became a reality. While it was not quite out of alpha, as he was sure there would be plenty of problems, it was still something. Something that he could show ponies across all equestria. And to prove those whom had doubted him on reasons of questionable charges of sanity back when he was in the University. He even spent time to go as far as enter training many years back before he even took on his ambitious and nearly solo project.

Had it not been for the help of Professor “Starswirl” Hoofcourt, this dream would never see the day break of reality. And now all that was left, was to test his first model. And there Java was, lounging peacefully in the hot sand of the Painted pinto desert. He was next to a large structure that was covered in a large shroud to protect it from the buffeting sand filled winds. And he was reclined comfortly on the side of his purring pet.

It was a cat, a rather large one at that. It was a sandy color of brown, and had rather large fangs. When he had first picked him up, from Fluttershy's strange garden filled with strange creatures, it had jumped out to the pony and hugged onto him. It was as if the little critter wanted to go with the pony. A little critter no bigger than a teacup. Well, that wasn't so any more. Because now, the cat was just slightly bigger than Java, and likely still growing. Java wasn't quite sure what kind of animal he had brought home with him. He was very sure he brought home some kind of tiger or some other big buckin cat that ponies avoid once he saw it's alarming rate of growth, but he loved it to much to let it go. Not to mention it seemed harmless, with it's diet primarily being fish. When it came to naming it, he called her Sine – in reference to the shape her tail habitually takes.

As for Java himself? He wore almost his usual attire. His favorite waistcoat, and a pair of tinted goggles strapped firmly over his eyes. He was also wearing an old black desperado and a faded gray shaw over his nose and mouth. Both items he had for a long time, and really only wore them when he went out to the badlands that was Dodge Junction and beyond.

And just slightly behind him was a shipping container often times found on trains. But it was completely out of place given that there were no tracks anywhere near the vicinity. It was also mostly buried in sand and rocks, leaving the door exposed. Not to mention the entire outside part of it was painted in some sort of desert camouflage. The truth was it was a small side project Java had back when he was in the university. He always had a single question, and that was how creative could a pony become when they canobolize things for their own well being? The result with the crate was it became a pretty decent wilderness hide out. Especially after a few modificatoins on it's interior that the pony had made.

“Welp...” Java hummed as he now propped up his hat, and looked up to the sky. He counted what few clouds there were, allowing perfect view to admire the deep blue skies that he was about to explore.

He shifted a bit, and slowly sat up, taking his head off of Sine's side. The large “tiger” raised it's head and gave him a curious growl.

“Well girl...” he hummed as he dropped his gaze to the horizon. The wind had done amazing work at relocating the sand. In fact, it seems that all the clouds just wanted to be on the ground lately. Huge thick blobs of sand tore through the air as the wind howled a bit more violently signalling the oncoming sand storm.

“You think any pony is comin,” Java asked, tilting his head back down to the tiger. Whom in turn just glared at him with her eyebrows flat.

After seeing this, Java's jaw droped in disbelief. His own big tiger cub, whom he loved for the past three weeks, is not even making an attempt at reassuring him. Oh how such psychological fangs hurt. It's true... he could have picked a better location to test his new contraption. And possibly being somewhere near society. But to Java, it will always remain the best choice... with his luck, the darn thing could just suddenly explode in a ball of Eldritch Fire!

His feelings shot, and his lips quivering to the hard look Sine gave him, he quickly turned to look back to his south, where AppleLoosa was, and likely where any job seeking pony would come from.

zaug_zps306f03f1.png

Helping a possibly mad scientist out in return for a hefty amount of bits? Count August in! He found the flyer back in Appleloosa while hanging out there with his buddy Inkbrand. Oddly enough, the name on the flyer, JavaSun, made Inkbrand immediately reluctant. But after enough persistence from August plus the promise of high pay, he was ultimately persuaded to tag along.

August considered the danger for a brief moment. The levels of risk sounded promising enough. Why else would the pay be so high? Hopefully his assumptions were correct. He hadn't had a thrill in quite a while now and was getting rather antsy as of late.

The duo trekked across Pinto Desert towards the location marked on the flyer. His hooves sank into the sand with each step and the wind buffeted his face with unrelenting desert grains. The peryton squinted against the assault and pulled the cream colored hood over his head. Attached to it was a tall lump of cloth meant to protect his nose and mouth, but it only worked if he kept his head down. What a bother. The cape was also small and didn't do much in terms of protecting the rest of his body. Oh well, that's what fur is for, right? Even so, he wished he had "borrowed" a better one instead of grabbing the nearest thing in a hurry.

"This whole thing is rather shady." He shouted against the muffling collar while glancing at Inkbrand. "We don't even know what we'll be 'helping' this guy test." An unseen smirk flashed from under the cloth, but the smile could be heard in his voice. "How antiquated are you with this JavaSun pony anyways? For all I know, we might become unwilling guinea pigs if we're not careful."

Finally, a little excitement and danger for a change. Maybe. The idea had him more eager to see what lies ahead of them at least. As if on que, he gazed in the distance and saw shapes beginning to take form. As they neared, he could see what looked like a pony lying in the sand, a large lump sitting nearby covered by a blanket and... a big cat? He certainly wasn't expecting that.

The pony in question wore goggles, a waist coat, and desert gear far better than his. This guy really did look like a mad scientist.

"Well, here we are." The peryton said, eying the mound of wind blown cloth. He approached the pony and took a bow, feeling a bit leery of the large feline close by. "At your service, Mr. JavaSun. Unless of course you mean to use us a unwilling test subjects or something, then we'll have to 'politely' decline." He stood up straight and the collar fell from his mouth, revealing a sly grin. "I'm August and that fellow over there is Inkbrand. Now that the pleasantries are out of the way, what exactly will we be testing, here?"

Frdnlm6.png

[[ Current Outfit ]]

Helping a definitely mad, definitely batting for the other team scientist out?

Buck no.

Throw in quite a hefty sum of bits as payment?

Buck him.

"I'm telling you, the guy's weird," Inkbrand said for what felt like the millionth time since August had found that blasted flyer, words muffled by both the desert winds and the cloth wrapped carefully around his mouth and nose. He had to pause and turn his head away from the Peryton to avoid a sudden gust of wind and sand into his face, straining his eyesight. "He laughs when he's hurt, Red. Bucking weird as." And no, he was not whining. Just forcefully expressing his opinion to a stubborn-headed friend who didn't have enough sense to see that Inkbrand was the smartest and most intelligent stallion alive. And the bucking hottest.

But Inkbrand would toss himself into Tartarus before he allowed August to go traipsing all over a barren desert at the whim of a madpony, and the promised pay had only added to the incentive. Thus, his current situation, attempting to hack out a hoof-ful of sand he could swear he had just swallowed, despite the protective coverings around his mouth. The grey stallion grit his teeth as he glanced over to August, the Preyton having even more trouble than he, thanks to the less than appropriate clothing he had liberated from a Dodge Junction native. The tattoo-clad stallion returned his gaze towards the horizon, stepping slightly in front of the other to help shield the winds as they continued on their inane journey.

It didn't end up being too very long, which somewhat surprised Inkbrand. Dangerous experiments tended to do a lot better far, far away from anypony and everypony, though he supposed that the complete desert scenery was testament enough to the remoteness the Earth Pony had chosen. And like a king lazily eyeing his subjects from a throne, JavaSun soon came into vision, next to a large mound of cloth that was presumably covering whatever experiment he was working on. Inkbrand actually didn't know what expression the other Earth Pony had, eyes currently covered by goggles reflecting the sun like a mad scientist straight out of a B-grade movie, but he liked to think it was a lazy and presumptuous look. It probably was, that son of a -

Inkbrand had to roll his eyes at August's little bow, mocking though it might have been, and hit one of the Peryton's hind legs with his own, even as he kept his sharp golden gaze fully on the other Earth Pony in front of him. "What's it matter, so long as the pay is good," the grey stallion drawled out, not bothering to remove his protective face coverings. He didn't even need to know if JavaSun had any madpony plans to use them as test subjects - he clearly wouldn't be, as JavaSun would be getting a hoof up his backside if even thought about touching him or August.

kafyBGS.jpg

Java sulked a bit in position as he stared on to the horizon for what felt like forever. The lonely breeze of the desert mocked him, with each blast of sand being like fecal matter forcefully jammed into the stallion's metaphorical eyes. Metaphorical as his eyes, thankfully, were well protected by his high grade personal pair of thousands... of goggles. He never wore them for style. He always kept a pair or two on him just in case he ever needed them. A habbit he picked up from his mentor. But not the one involving a crowbar for what ever reason. The pony most certainly didn't see the need for such brutality in personal protection... nor when he randomly needs to open a crate. Java wondered why he was seen as the crazy one, and not his goatee'd faced professor.

And even now, he is realizing that he allowed his own thoughts to digress. The pony tried to remember what emotion he was feeling. Happy, no. There was very little to be happy about in a desert. Ah, yes. Lonely. That was the feeling that the pony was looking for. With his only companion being a cat, whom is much younger than he... but acts as equestria's most scolding mother in occasions.

As Java lowered his head some, Sine slowly approached the pony from the side. Her eyes casually glancing out to the open wasteland, and easily spotted the two in coming helping hooves. Her gaze flattened after a sudden realization that she had been proven wrong. But either way, the loyal feline gave a gentle shove to her master's side with the butt of her head.

Java looked down to the cat, who rolled her eyes, and pointed her nose in the direction of the new comers. The pony's gaze followed. And just like that, the burden of his previous emotion left. “Ah! Well... I guess I was right then. Some ponies are actually willing... possibly daft... enough to come to the desert,” Java then swivled his head to his companion. He wore a very lavish grin that was hidden behind his shawl.

The tiger in return, snarled in distaste to her master. The roar violently tore through the air, but could barely be heard over the wind from a distance. She was up on all fours, with her lips curled back to reveal her teeth threateningly.

“Calm, calm, Sinewave, dear kitty~” The “mad” engineering pony hummed softly on a musical note. To which, the tiger quickly turned her head away after lowering back down to her haunches. Her jaws were close, but her tail was flicking through the sand in annoyance. He was use to the tigers behavior. Other ponies may just cower at the sight of a tiger showing some claws and fangs. But java knew fully well that she would never harm him, or any pony without a reason. She was just... a grumpy little kitty.

Java chuckled some, “Cheer up. I'll double the promise I made to you when I get back.”

Sine didn't look back to Java. Her only response was a flick of the ear, and her tail swishing once more through the sand.

“Well then,” Java hummed to himself, now looking back to the two ponies who just approached.

His eyes first looked down to the smaller pony. After peering into the other's eyes through his own behind the goggles, he could easily identify that devil-may-give-a-buck yellow glare. Why it was the only pony he knew in existence with those kind of eyes. Good ole Inkbrand. “The pony who doesn't like me for some reason,” was what Java usually identified Ink-brand as now. Perhaps it was Java's revelation to his preferences? Little did Inkbrand know, Java really couldn't even say he found the other attractive. Not even if his talent was getting drunk.

His companion... on the other hand, did peak some interest in Java. The covered up Earth stallion, actually tilted his head as he silently looked to

August. “Well... I could say your

e,” Java thought to himself. And indeed this winged dear thing was. His eyes hidden behind tented lenses, darted up to the preyton's antlers. And then to his wings, and then the rest of his body. His head not once moving from it's fourty five degree cant.

“He could do without the small clothing though,” noted the pony, as his eyes went to... the pathetic scraps. Not that Java wanted to admire the Preyton's full body. But because it just read off as... this male just wanted to try and make himself... look bigger by wearing smaller clothing. Lazy.

And then came the bow, the pony let out an audible annoyed sigh after seeing this.

“Please.... just... no formalities,” The pony groaned with his hoof now moving up to rub his head, as if he suddenly had a headache. “It's bad enough I am dod,” he caught himself with a momentary pause the continued.

“Tch, just don't use Mr. Misses. Sir... or... you know... directed towards me. J-ju-jst...” The pony waved his forehooves around in mid sentence. “Don't even bow. Help me save what little remaining sanity I have.”

The pony then sat down in the sand, and yanwed a bit. And listened for the introductions. He was also trying to remember when the last time he had slept. Two... no four days ago? Or was it five.

“Mmhmm... mhmm...” Java hummed with his lips pursed, his gaze now directed to Inkbrand after hearing his comment. “I'm gonna be honest with you here. Normally. This thing here,” java pointed behind himself to his own creation, which was still hidden underneath it's protective tarp, “would be tested by one pony. That'd be me.”

Java lowered his hoof to the dirt in an annoyed stomp. And now as he spoke, his tone became gradually more hostile. “That was till some egg head in the medical field got a little too concerned with my health. The frequent visits to the hospital and all that. Even the time I went in with hypothermia during the winter wrap up this year! NOT MY FAULT! Some freak storm blinded me, and I stumbled into a buckin river with thin ice while lugging a frozen cart with metal for repairing the plows! And one occasion. ONE OCCASSION. Where I ended up in the hospital with a good portion of my bones broken or fractured and a glider on my back. Concerned, sweet heart about it by the way... he spoke to the nearest family I have in canterlot. My buckin grandparents! Whom I don't really have a good standing relationship with. After a brief chat he decided to give me a psychiatric evaluation when I recovered. So sure. I figured I'd be perfectly fine. The tests ran clean and such... kept for a few... erm questionable qualities, I was mostly fine. Till the last test.”

The pony inhaled sharply now turning to trot towards the small shelter he had built using a shipping container.

“Which was quite humorously, empty a bath tub as fast as you can. I was provided a spoon and a bucket. Now... reasonably, most ponies would just pull the plug in the drain. And it will empty out in a good thirty seconds or so. Right? Well, that's obviously not the fastest way a fricken engineer can come up with! So I turned around, and gave it a kick. Knocked a hole in it's broad side. Check that! Destroyed it's broad side. The tub was empty in two seconds. He didn't say it had to be in tact! Right?! That was not defined in the rules! Well, he didn't like my decision, and I ended up spending the night in the hospital! Big whoop, got a nice little jacket out of it. Kinda like it actually... really warm. But, long story short. I am actively seeking mental help, on my own, under recommendation. And, got to do it this way... because it's “Sane”.”

The pony knocked his head against the crate's metal door, while howling in anguish to the mountains, “WELL WHOOPTY. BUCKIN. DO.” The pony was panting when his rant ended. His hoof slowly sliding up to the top of the door. It pulled back just a little by the elbow, and drove forward, smashing into the side of the container once more. But this time, a soft click could be heard coming from the shelter.

The pony's other hoof slid down to the handle, and wrapped around it, catching the rusted metal bar with his wrist.

“Alright...” Java sighed, turning around to look to the two. His tone returned to it's usual happy go lucky nature. But there was also a serious tint to it. “I might be daft, north north-west... when there is a breeze to the south. But I can tell a ladle from a sparrow's egg. Your not going to be test subjects. You're going to be testers. Well, alpha testers. With a big fat A. With me as a tester as well. And as for the pay? Few reasons. Given where we are... and circulating rumors. Pretty dangerous... not quite sure. And the device? Well... the entire thing needs testing. And given my run of luck, which I have a higher percentage of scars on my body than success rate, it might not end to well. So hazard pay. Be happy. I made sure that I selected my words carefully when I did this. Also I am tired of staring at gems lying around my house. Useless little rocks...”

He then kicked up a back hoof to point to Inkbrand, “And you... will have a slightly higher pay than August here. Not that I like you, or find you handsome, I don't. It's that you have a higher risk of a sudden end like I.” Now normally, Java wouldn't voice his thoughts of another males appearance. But for some reason, as the pony recalled from ponyville, the pony has some kind of ego that makes him think that Java was physically attracted to the tattooed stallion.

The pony pulled his mask down, revealing a very flat and neutral exp<b></b>ression as he slowly pulled open the door. The resistance he was facing was quite substantial, as the gas spring he put on the other end was meant to keep the door shut against the brutal winds.

When the door managed to be open by an inch or so. Radiant green light can be seen from the inside. Not only that, but the instrumentals of a guitar could be heard. NOT JUST THAT, a cool breeze could be felt. And not just a cool breeze, as if it was created by some sort of shade. But it actually felt chilly. And when the door grew wider, so did the effect of the vacuume forces. Cold escaped outwards, sending dust everywhere, as the heat quickly took it's place. Finally the door was wide open.

“Inside you go. Out of the sun before I have to call the hospital and tell them I got some folks killed over dehydration and suffication in sand.” he then gestured to the Preyton, “And... I have some bigger gear for you. Not sure what you're wearing... or the look you are trying to go for. But your day ain't right if you are wearing junk that doesn't fit you. Want to torture a pony? Nail some tiny horse shoes on em and make em strut with rythm. It's the same way for barding.”

The inside of the crate was, rather unnatural for it's original use. Most notably, it was furnished. Though very sparingly. Inside was a table, with papers scattered all over. Most notably were design plans drawn in white over a peace of blue drafting paper. The drawing sort of looked like a Ship. But there were all sorts of complications added onto it. If a pony were to glance slightly to the side, they would be granted a side view of said vessel, thus revealing that it's a ship with two ballons from the side. The largest, being suspended in the air about seven point six meters... according to the measurements on the paper. The second visible one, being much smaller, was held near the bottom of the ship.

There were more pieces of blue paper underneath the first one.

As for the rest of the room. There was a cabinet running almost the entire length of the back wall inside the container. A handful of crates near the front. And a bed that folds from the wall. It looks fresh, but at the same time recently used. And towards the very end of the container was a small closet, and a large plastic container sitting on a metal container that filled the gap between the wall and closet. It was translucent, and seemed purposeless. Till one's eye took note of the presperation that's built up on the outside. Similar to a glass of water with ice.

Thin metal pipes also ran the length of the walls, circleing around the entire room, and feeding into the back of several metal fans with very odd looking grills that blew out cool air. All of the pipes ended in one location. The metal box underneath the jug of water. And large pillows were suspened in the air, well over any pony's head by a net. And each one was easily accessed by simply pulling the cushion from the side.

Java's eyes darted around the entior as a small smile crept over his lips. This shelter may have been his first project in the university, but he was always proud of it. “Rich ponies own vacation homes. They can have em. I have foxholes.”

“Feel free to make yourself at home, while we wait for the others~” Java hummed with a smile. Sine was already up on her feet, and strolling on inside the buried and camoflauged container.

"-MY WAYWARD COOOOOLT! THERE WILL BE PEACE WHEN YOU RETURN. LAY YOUR WEARY HEAD TO REST... AND DON'T CRY NO MORE," Wailed a battery radio sitting on the table. "Though my eyes could still see I was still just a blind pony. Though my mind could think I am a mad pony! I hear the voices when I'm dreamin... and I hear the voices say!"

Curese that Java for making me trot through this Celestia forsaken desert!

This is all Dunder could think about besides putting one hoof in front of the other to actually traverse the terrain. Normally, the journey across the desert would not be a problem for the stallion, but the wind kicking up the sand was making everything more difficult than needed. Even through the thick cloth wrapped around Dunder's head and through the thick goggles Dunder wore over his eyes, he could feel the wrath of the desert all too easily. The sand and the wind tugged at the heavy saddlebags and the equipment Dunder carried.

He could have even flown over the desert if he hadn't needed to actually find a location inside of the dust storm. Risking getting lost and then trapped in the dust storm was not worth it. However, keeping Java in check during this expediction he wanted to go on was worth it. Getting bits while making sure Java didn't freak out and get somepony hurt. Maybe that's why he put this meeting in the middle of a desert. To act as its own test.

Either way, the location of the meeting was coming up. Now came the moment of truth to see what this earth pony had gone and done. As he climbed over a small dune, he could see that some ponies had beat him to the punch. Through his thick and scratched up goggles, it seemed like one of the ponies was wearing some ridiculous headdress with two giant spikes jutting out of it. And as the pegasus approached, he could hear the faint noise of Java freaking out and yelling through the sand screen between them.

From the distance he could see them escaping the weather into some kind of shelter constructed under the sand. Dunder couldn't catch up in time. Now he trotted a little faster. By the tiime he caught up, he could hear faint music playing. He quickly caught up, and soon he began to make the figures out better. One was obviously Java, one was the grey and tatted-up stallion Inkbrand. The third was a peryton. At least he looked like one with skinny cervine legs and antlers AND wings. This would be interesting.

After they all got inside the shelter, Dunder came to the entrance. As he approached, he pulled the thick cloth down from over his face. "JAVA! You crazy... It's Dunder here, reporting in." He called out over the whipping dust storm.

Blackwing was walking through the Painted Pinto Desert, he was following a trail of flags. He was out here due to a flyer, which he still had with him right now. He had found the flyer in Ponyvile, just lieing on a seat. He had picked it up, on it was a map of a desert, the same desert he was in right now. He had with him only water and food, and the flyer he had found. As Blackwing walked through the sand storm that was happening, he was not used to this much sand, so it was slowing him down a fair bit. As he looked around, he saw the flag's lead toward's a large....object, though because of the sandstorm he couldnt see what it was.

Blackwing saw a few ponies there, he saw a pony with what looked to be a sword, a pegasus it looked like. He also saw....A Peryton?. As he got closer he confirmed it, he saw a Peryton, a pegasus, a earth pony. He also saw a pony with... a cat?.

Blackwing walked up too the group and up too the one with the cat he didnt know what was going on.

Java slowly turned around as he heard his name being called. His eyes flickered curiously through the sand that tore past the group till he found a very familiar brown pony. A small grin warped it’s way onto the stallion’s maw. And even though sand began to build up on the sides of his teeth, the pony paid no mind to it as he waved the new comer on in. “Dunder! Starting to see each other more often. If you are here for the job, you’re just in time,” the engineering pony nickered. “I’d love to hold a nice chat, but I think ponies would rather be out of the fryer, than inside it! At least I think. I don’t mind the heat!”

The pony then turned his head after catching sight of a new shadow spreading across the ground. His gaze immediately landed on a lost looking wayward gryphon. The pony stared at the gryphon for a while. No, a long while. His expression remained flat and stoic, the smile he had gone completely. The pony was waiting on the gryphon to say something as he came closer. But nothing was said at all. So, the pony merely just kept staring creepily. The dark gray tinted lenses easily hiding his eyes, which for all the other’s could know, was fixated on Blackwings eyes. And they were. If Java really had the ability to see into another’s soul, that’s most definitely what he would be doing. Letting the air sit in silence rather than trading off words. The pony was simply contemplating the gryphon’s reason for being here. After all, he didn’t announce it. And he definitely did not know the individual to automatically assume so.

His eyes flickered once more, and then tipped down to the flyer that Blackwing held with him. Immediately recognizing it, the pony then tilted his head to the right with a curious nature behind the action. “Well Sir Quiet Beak the Great. If you are here for the job, step on inside. I’m fixin to preach my goal before we start.”

The pony then called out once more, “Hurry up guys! I’d like to get this done with this week. By the way. This door here? I have to hold it open or it will cut your tail off. Get in!”

zaug_zps306f03f1.png

August raised an eyebrow and widened his smirk as Javasun sighed at such a flattering gesture, then requested that he refrain from all formalities. Even bowing! It was apparently to 'save what little remaining sanity the pony had.' How about that? August didn't even try yet and he's already gotten under this pony's skin.

The alleged mad scientist began to explain their mission. Or that's what August assumed before the pony decided to spiral down into some kind of crazy rant instead. August only managed to catch every other word, and eventually stopped listening altogether, giving Inkbrand a snarky look of amusement that said 'are you seeing this?' His friend wasn't kidding when he said Java was weird.

After what seemed like forever, Javasun finally decided to breath again and approached a shipping container near by. Finally, time to get things going!

Or not...

Just when August thought the onslaught of nonsensical dialogue was over, Java continued with yet another massive string of sentences. At this point, the peryton didn't even know what in the blazing depths of Tartarus he was talking about. He simply watched as Java ranted on and bucking slammed his head against the metal door. August took an automatic step backwards and half-expected him to start cackling. Instead, he yelled in pain and swore at nothing in particular.

August leaned over to Inkbrand and whispered. "I thought you said he laughs when he's in pain."

Another loud 'SLAM' rattled the container as the pony propelled himself into the door again. It made a 'click' sound and Java took hold of the handle and turned back to face them. His next words finally had some coherence to them. Sort of. They were apparently alpha testing something, and their pay was high due to the dangers. Sounded lovely to him.

But then Java went on to say that he was tired of staring at gems, even going so far as to call them 'useless little rocks.' For August, that was practically an invitation to pay a visit to his living quarters and relieve him of his apparent burden.

When Java revealed that Inkbrand was getting higher pay than him, he couldn't help but look a bit surprised. According to Java, he and Inkbrand were going to be at a higher risk for some reason. But why would he choose Inkbrand over him? He supposed there was only one explanation, really.

"Aw, you don't want me to get hurt. How sweet." He glanced at Inkbrand with a mocking smile. "I think he likes me."

When Java finally decided to open the bucking door, August peered through the widening crack. A bright green light glowed and chilly air escaped though the opening. It poured outside as the door fully opened and Java coaxed the two inside. Before August could comply, the mad scientist addressed his bad choice of desert clothing and promised better gear. A smirk grew on his face when Java lectured him on fashion. Many responses flooded his mind but he decided to shrug it off and continue inside of the crate.

The first thing he noticed was the sweet sweet relief from the sweltering heat outside. He couldn't help but sigh at the drastic, and welcomed, changed in temperature. He didn't realize just how hot it was outside until now. He was surprised the ends of his antlers didn't catch on fire. He looked at a blue print of what seemed like an airship sitting on a table and his curiosity was piqued. He approached the drawing and cocked his head to the side. "Is this the thing we'll be testing?"

When he heard no answer, he looked up to see Java had already walked away and grumbled under his breath. He took the time to glance around the rest of the room and nodded to himself. "Yep. Pretty much looks like the kind of place a mad scientist would live."

His ear twitched as he heard Java telling him and Inkbrand to make themselves at home. A grin returned to his face upon hearing those words. "Well, if he insists." August looked back at the drawing on the ship and lifted it to get a view of the other papers. Before his mind could comprehend what he saw, a new voice reach his ears.

"JAVA! You crazy... It's Dunder here, reporting in."

As Java galloped off to meet the newcomer, August scrunched his nose at the obnoxious music wailing from the radio on the table. Without a second thought, he hit the off switch and followed Java outside, resolving to snoop around in those papers after he gets back.

He flipped the pathetic cloth back over his head and trotted over to the light brown and rather muscular pony who announced himself as 'Dunder.' August examined him without discretion. He seemed strong. In fact, if he and August ever got into a tussle, the peryton would undoubtedly loose. Perhaps he should exercise a little more caution around this one... maybe.

His eyes shifted to Java, who was staring off into the distance outside. The peryton followed the direction of his gaze to find a jet black female griffon standing idily by outside. Looks like more ponies were willing to put their lives on the line for a few bits than he originally thought. He figured he and Inkbrand would be the only one's to show up, but nope. This is getting interesting.

While lost in his own mind, August didn't realize just how long Java was staring. It was, to say the least, uncomfortably long. At least for the one who's receiving his unrelenting gaze. August looked from the griffon, to Java, and back again with a frown of confusion.

After what seemed like an eternity, the scientist ended his creepy stare and glanced to the flyer in the griffon's talons. “Well Sir Quiet Beak the Great. If you are here for the job, step on inside. I’m fixin to preach my goal before we start.”

"Sir? Don't you mean Miss?" August said. This griffon looked like a female to him. He turned his attention back to the griffon and made no effort to hide his intrigue. Nothing pointed towards masculinity to him, so he chalked it up to Java being weird again. He nudged the mad scientist's shoulder. "Let's hope 'he's' not allergic to formal greetings as well, eh?" He snickered before looking back to the griffon. It's sharp red eyes were easy to get lost in. He felt sort of envious of them.

The peryton leaned rather close to the griffon's face, his eyes darting from one dark red iris to the next. "I wish I had red eyes. Though I suppose they would clash with my coat, which is not something I'd be so willing to change."

Java's voice rang out as he called for everyone to get inside. The peryton glanced in the scientist pony's direction, then sent a wink the griffon's way before swinging around and approaching the scientist pony, who warned that the door would bite their tails off if he wasn't holding it open.

"Can't say I have much to worry about then." August said, wagging his tail for a brief moment before strutting inside. He flipped the cloth from his head and kept a smug grin fastened to his face as he waited for JavaSun to finally 'preach' the full extent of this mysterious goal.

Frdnlm6.png

[[ Current Outfit ]]

Inkbrand caught August's look, and returned it just as quickly with one of his own. 'Told 'ya.'

JavaSun was rapidly descending into a mad rant worthy of any comic villain monologue, no longer seeming to address to the two of them more than talk himself into a frenzy. Inkbrand bore up with it - rather patiently, he thought, since he didn't jam a hoof down the pony's trachea in an effort to get him to shut up - as he exchanged another meaningful glance with the Peryton by his side, eyebrows pointedly raised. The grey stallion couldn't remember ever setting JavaSun off like this before, but there had been that time in Ponyville when a rude gesture had suddenly had the brown pony shouting clichéd battle cries and throwing others into the mud.

"He does," Inkbrand insisted with a groan, not even causing a dent in Java's continued rant about science and experiments and other nerd things.

The abrupt brown hoof pointed in his direction, however, had Inkbrand paying attention long to enough to deduce that yes, JavaSun was actually directly speaking to him now, and not just rambling about everything and nothing - even if his words were less than reassuring about the entire thing. "Buck that," the tattoo-clad stallion sneered, with just a little heat that came from a casual observer. No bucking way he was giving his life for some crazy as all Tautarus scientist, he'd make well sure of it. And neither would August, no matter what JavaSun said about his role being more dangerous.

And no matter how munch the brown pony liked August better.

"Careful Red," Inkbrand muttered lightly under his breath as the two of them walked into the area, tone hovering between a teasing lilt and a deadpanned seriousness. "When he likes ponies, he likes ponies." And, just like that, Inkbrand had to stop himself from shivering under the full heat of the desert sun. He really wasn't even sure if August's preferences swung in that direction, but if he suddenly found himself walking in on the Peryton and JavaSun in compromising positions, he'd have to gauge his eyes out. And then he'd have to gauge Java's eyes out.

And then possibly some of his internal organs, if Inkbrand's brain could still stomach the nauseating image at that point in time.

Horrifying visions of his best friend getting way to close to a pony like JavaSun aside, Inkbrand distracted himself by taking a good look around the large container, eyebrows raised as he pulled his mask down below his mouth. The space seemed straight out of some science fiction film, one of those underground bunkers made to protect a Princess in case of a magical blow-out that spread throughout Equestria, or something. Plenty points of interest immediately set apart certain areas, but blueprints and coding held little interest for the grey stallion as Inkbrand broke off from August to go examine the object between the closet and the wall. Was that a…water cooler? At least they wouldn't be dying of dehydration before they died of experimentation, he supposed.

Like that made a bucking difference.

Voices from back towards the door had the grey stallion turning his head, catching sight of JavaSun talking to - oh buck, that guy, from Ponyville! Inkbrand grinned sharply as he made himself comfortable on the bed, forelegs tucked behind his head as he remembered how he'd first gotten up close and uncomfortable with the burly Pegasus. Well, at least this time there was no strawberry ice cream for…whatever the buck is name was to get upset over. What looked alike a griffon was also standing in the distance, though the bodies at the door blocked Inkbrand from getting a good enough view. He'd get a better look once they were all inside, anyways.

Inkbrand felt his grin widen as he overheard August's lack of concern over getting his tail snapped off, but didn't make to move from his perch, lounging on the bed like it was his own. "So," he called out as the others filed in, though his lazy golden gaze was trained on the mad scientist among them, "what needs doing? The hoofnotes this time."

kafyBGS.jpg

(Whops, soooo sorry :( )

"Sir? Don't you mean Miss?"

At that Blackwing would look at the Peryton. He knew that he looked like a complete female griffon, and he was used to being called a miss. "Hello" Blackwing would say to the Peryton and the others before hearing the docter say “Hurry up guys! I’d like to get this done with this week. By the way. This door here? I have to hold it open or it will cut your tail off. Get in!”. As he heard that Blackwing walked in, not really noticing or caring about anything other then getting this done.

Java definitely seemed excited to see the pegasus. After all Dunder had done for Java in their short time knowing eachother, he would have hoped that Java would be excited. Even though Dunder wasn't too fond of the whole insane scientist routine, but Java still managed to find a place in Dunder's heart. The pony seemed nice enough, and appeared to even like to let loose once in a while. And Dunder could appreciate that. Either way, Java seemed to like the pegasus stallion a lot. Even enough to let him stay in his house whenever he wanted.

"We are getting to talking more often, and I am enjoying it. The promise of work and hefty pay is enough for me to drag my carcass out here. Also to make sure you don't do anything unnecessary." Dunder said to Java, getting close to try to make sure only the earth stallion could hear. Even in their short friendship, Dunder knew that Java could get too unethical at times.

As Dunder approached the entrance to the base further, the cool air of the base washed over Dunder and it felt good compared to the blazing heat of the sun. Just in time too, Dunder's water supply was getting ropey as it was. As he was getting ready to get inside of the base, he noticed the peryton from earlier... And the peryton seemed to be sizing up Dunder with no hesitation to check out everything.

The pegasus grinned and lifted up his scratched up goggles to cover his forehead and reveal his almond shaped eyes. The pegasus jerked his head up in greeting to the peryton, "Sup, babe?" Might as well come off strong while passing the peryton. He trotted past the cervine after Java's order to get inside of the base or else the door would cut their tails off.

He only took a quick glance at the griffon. He could swear he recognized the figure from somewhere, but they seemed to be calling the griffon a "miss" so he would have to make sure that the identity was right before making himself look unobservant.

When he entered inside he recognized the tattoo clad stallion who got rough at the mud wrestling ring at Ponyville. He didn't expect to see the likes of the earth pony down here. But Dunder only gave a quick wave of the hoof before proceeding to find a wall to lean on and prepare for the mission briefing.

"Sir? Don't you mean Miss?" August said. This griffon looked like a female to him. He turned his attention back to the griffon and made no effort to hide his intrigue. Nothing pointed towards masculinity to him, so he chalked it up to Java being weird again. He nudged the mad scientist's shoulder. "Let's hope 'he's' not allergic to formal greetings as well, eh?" He snickered before looking back to the griffon. It's sharp red eyes were easy to get lost in. He felt sort of envious of them.

The peryton leaned rather close to the griffon's face, his eyes darting from one dark red iris to the next. "I wish I had red eyes. Though I suppose they would clash with my coat, which is not something I'd be so willing to change."

Java slowly turned his head back to the preyton, and raised a brow. He was rather quick to deduce that this here preyton must have a horrid time in bars when differentiating the difference between a feminine male, and a female side to side when drunk. But to be fair, it can be incredibly difficult to tell the difference between a feminine male griffon and a male griffon without a unceremonious glance between the legs from the rear.

“Ahhh... yeah, no. I do mean sir, as that griffon you mistake for a dame, is actually a male,” Java then slipped inside the “mad scientist lab” as most of his company seem to be mentally calling it. When really it's just a small shelter he built meant for temporary living. It would be completely unsafe to hold any experiements inside this room as clutter, and various flammables are situated inside.

“Few things by pass my gaze...” he then frowned, remembering the one that did. “And only one pony had eluded me into believing he was a female a couple of months ago. Awkward moment that was, to be fair he had armor on. And blushed like a mare. Had a nice scent. Incredibly curvy at that. Sort of wish I knew that before saying anything, buuut oh well. Still was a cute stallion. Sad bit, I was sober. Nothing happened though”

The pony then raised a hoof to tap at his chin. “All honesty, I was expecting a female of some species. But... eh... close enough I guess...”

Java quickly cleared his throat after catching a glare from Sine. It was almost like the cat was just screaming at him to get on with it. Or maybe she was trying to point out to Java that -she- was a female.

"We are getting to talking more often, and I am enjoying it. The promise of work and hefty pay is enough for me to drag my carcass out here. Also to make sure you don't do anything unnecessary." Dunder said to Java, getting close to try to make sure only the earth stallion could hear. Even in their short friendship, Dunder knew that Java could get too unethical at times.

“Unneccessary,” Java scoffed in the middle of a laugh, and let go of the door handle. There was a small hiss as the door was slowly pushed back into place by a few pistons mounted on the inside. Though, when the gap between the wall and the door became too small. A loud racket ensued as the door suddenly jarred into it's closed position, and rattled terrifyingly against it's rails. But it remained tightly in place. The cause of such a thing? Why it'll be three little circular disks mounted onto the door that are now against a metal beam. Electromagnets if you will. While the current might not be strong. The one little secret about electromagnetism is... no tide or tatarus will pry it off of any metal when it's still receiving power.

“Dunder, there is always a reason behind everything I do and say, even if it's not entirely known to you yet. I am an engineer, not a scientist. Even if it's technically still called a science. I shouldn't have to explain everything before I do it. I just do it.”

The pony shuffled past Inkbrand, whom indeed did make himself at home. By sprawling rudely across Java's bed. The pony didn't care however. He had only used the bed maybe twice in the month he's been out here. Instead of saying anything, the pony just reared back onto his back hooves and stretched out to reach the cabinets just above the bed. He tapped one of the doors with a hoof, giving it just enough of a jar to swing open before scooping up a bottle of lighter fuel. He then spun around and landed back down onto all fours and placed the bottle on the nearby table.

“Ok, so now the jo-” Java cut himself off for a moment after hearing the words, “Sup, babe.”

The pony's brows went flat as he now looked up to Dunder. A small recollection had came suddenly came back to the pony. “Oh that's right... he's a flirter too. Well, at least I only have to put up with hearing that from ONE pony,” he thought to himself. Then he began to actually feel thankful there wasn't a female in the crowd. Because knowing the tattoo clad stallion, he would not even know how to turn his MacDaddy down for just a hair of a second. Pick your poison, some pony in the sky must be harolding to Java! The flirty and bold moving brown stallion, or the the unusually hostile pervy gray stallion!

"what needs doing? The hoofnotes this time."

“Rrrright.... hoofnotes,” Java sighed, now wondering what else was going to happen. Two handsome males in compromising positions in the middle of the open? Though it's a spectacle Java would love to watch, there is no room on his schedule for shenaniginz. Even if he was some how drug kicking and screaming into it.

Quickly casting the thought asside, Java planted a hoof down onto a lever of a trashcan to pop the lid up. He then used another hoof to slide the blueprints and letters into the trashcan. Following up, a sprinkling of a generous amount of the lighter fuel.

“How about I give you what you would rather hear. And probably would hear,” Java hummed dully to Inkbrand after looking over his shoulder. The pony then slipped his free hoof into his vest and pulled out a square metallic lighter.

“Blah... blah... blah... test something.... blah... blah... shoot something.... blah... blah... fly airship... blah, don't die... blah blah blah,” the pony droned out as he now dipped his head down to the desk and bit down on a spare sheet of paper. He snapped his hoof to flick open the lighter, and tapped it against the desk.

Once he got a flame, he used it to light a cornor of the paper he held in his mouth before closing the lid. The mad pony then began to slowly wave the sheet of paper around to feed it a little more air before dropping it into the can.

A loud WHUUMPFH errupted into the air as flames suddenly jumped up and licked the pony's nose. The smoke was quickly vented out by hidden fans in the ceiling well before it was even allowed to build up and suffocate every-pony inside.

The pony continued his droned out, and overtly ambiguous description of their job as he boredly watches the contents burn.

“The base pay will sound ridiculous. But I tend not to joke around about buisness. The base pay starts at three hundred “k” bits for everything including hazard. There are some rumors that concerns me. But I am sure it's nothing to worry about. An extra ten-thousand is added for unicorn inability risks. And an extra twenty-thousand is added for flightless and non-magical creatures' inability risks.”

The pony then lifted his head in thought. Even though he felt he covered it, perhaps now would be a good time to restate what they are testing.

With a small hum, the pony released the lever, and allowed the lid to close and smother the fire. He turned about on his hooves to face the others.

“I'll restate. We are testing an experimental airship. The hull is not in it's best shape. It was an old REA frigate I recycled from it's grave. Couple of skeletons had to be properly buried, and any letters found on them were mailed out respectively. After “lifting" from the ocean, I spent some time restoring it the best I could, remove what I couldn't save, and remodel it into something else. Not going to lie... it was shot to death by pirates or something. I don't know it's full history. It was just littered with cannon holes, and sitting on the side of a beach half way out of the water. Buck you.”

The pony then lowered his haunches to the ground.

“And the normal components that are used in an airship... are the key things that makes this one different from the rest. Those are what makes this ship experimental. That being said... good chance this ship could fall apart. Or blow up in the middle of the air and killing all flightless creatures aboard because of a misfire.”

The pony's expression then went dim. The kind of expression that shows the pony can already tell that everypony in the room must believe he's insane or something.

“As I said... I may seem ludicrously daft. But I at least know what I am doing. If I, under rare circumstance, explicitly tell you to do something. It's generally in your best interest to do so. It means I see something that you don't see. Mechanically and situationally. I am not going to throw you under the cab.”

The pony's expression lightened once more to it's happy go lucky nature. His eyes shifted to August once more. Java raised a hoof up into the air then pointed to August with a forehoof. "Before I forget, and the hormones in this room become to fricken high, The closet is behind you. Help yourself to some desert wear. I know what's ever in there should be big enough to fit you."

Java lowered the hoof once more and looked to the group as a whole. "Now. If you wish to back out. Please say so now. And you will be free to leave. Other wise, there are a few pre-packed kits in the right most cupboard above the bed. Grab one. Inside is a canteen, take a guess what's it for. First aid kit in case you are missing a chunk of meat. Fifteen cm folding knife. And an eyeglass."

zaug_zps306f03f1.png

Java assured him the griffon was in fact male, which was pretty obvious once August heard it's voice. But then the mad scientist pony trailed off on some story about mistaking a stallion for a mare once. And when he insisted the stallion was "still cute" August recalled Inkbrand warning him be careful of Java if he displayed any sort of fondness. The peryton usually preferred females, but he'd still have a bit of fun with the idea. Flaunting around a love struck mad scientist would be no doubt entertaining. And that's precisely what he's here for.

His eyes flashed wide as the door to the shelter slammed shut. It was quite a jarring experience since he didn't expect it. He wasn't sure how he didn't expect it, but that's what happened. Of course, being concerned with looking awesome rather than paying attention tends to put a damper on one's alertness levels. Either way, that door would have certainly eaten someone's tail for dinner. Or maybe lunch? Not sure what time of the day it was, actually. He lost track a while ago. All of his prior thoughts left him however, when the light brown pegasus, recently addressed as Dunder, pulled the goggles from his eyes and sent a rather playful greeting his way. The level of flirtation in that gesture was as clear as a punch to the face.

"Sup Babe?"

"Babe, huh?" August said, edging closer to the stallion with half lidded eyes. "Pretty bold of you, I must say. Looks like Java's got some competition." He chuckled and glanced Java's way. "You should've thought twice before hiring someone as good looking as me. Distraction hazards and all that."

There was something he was forgetting... Oh right, rummaging through those papers. "Excuse me." The peryton said in a sing song voice before trotting over to the table. But instead of snooping through possible top secret information, he arrived just in time to watch it all burn up in a trash can. His expression melted into one of annoyed disappointment as he watched Java explain the task at hoof.

Wait... what was this? Was Java actually providing some actual answers? No way! August quickly perked back up and listened to the long overdue information. Ah hah... So the whole thing boiled down to an airship test, huh? He was suspecting something like this. Java apparently restored a junk heap of an airship and planed to test it's flying capabilities. Sounded good to him. Though that might be thanks to the whole 'gliding' thing he could do in case of a malfunction. The same couldn't be said for Inkbrand though. Or JavaSun for that matter.

"I'm not usually one for safety precautions but, do we have anything that might help with the whole 'plummeting to your death' problem? If not, we do have two fliers and two earth ponies. Dunder and Whatchamacallit over there could attempt to catch you and Inkbrand if you decide to start falling to your doom. As for me, Peryton don't have the strongest wings ever so the best I could do is glide myself to safety."

Seeing August express caution wasn't a very common sight, but he couldn't help but feel a little concerned for Inkbrand. Wingless wonders like him were at the complete mercy of gravity. If anything went wrong, and it probably would, he'd be helpless. The last thing August wanted to do was feel responsible for the death of his only friend so he'd have to watch his back. His poor little wingless back.

During one of Java's speeches, he pointed directly to August and offered proper desert wear, located in the closet behind him. A smirk returned to his features. "Alright then." He bounced off on his hooves towards the closet. "No peeking!" He didn't stop to wait as Java addressed the crew, but he caught sight of the kits they were supposed to grab, and that was the important bit anyways. He resolved to grabbing the gear once the ball started rolling a little faster.

He opened the closet to find a much larger set of desert gear. The first thing he noticed was how bright white one of the cloaks were. Incredibly showy? Count him in! Connected to the set was an actual mask that would properly protect his snout from the harsh desert conditions rather than fall off his muzzle every chance it got. Goggles with dark lenses also hung from the outfit and the cloak itself was large enough to protect his entire body rather than leave his bum at the mercy of the sandstorm. He slipped into the cloak, put on the mask, and pulled the goggles up to his forehead. Too bad there didn't seem to be any mirrors near by. He probably looked awesome.

"Ta da!" He announced while approaching the team and tossing the prior cloak to the side. "Not sure how this will help lower the room's hormone levels, Java. I'm pretty sure I look smokin' hot in this"

• 4 weeks later...

Frdnlm6.png

[[ Current Outfit ]]

Inkbrand resisted the urge to let out a highly aggrieved groan of frustration, but it was a very near thing. Compounded by JavaSun's hoofnotes that were decidedly not hoofnote, if the insistent droning was anything to go by, and Inkbrand was fairly proud of his ability to restrain himself from bashing his face against a nearby metal wall.

Or getting his face smashed inward by a very large hoof.

At least a sliver of luck was on his side - none of the guys in the small, enclosed space seemed particularly interested in him. Small favors. Still, Inkbrand couldn't help the arched eyebrow and sardonic glare he shot at the large Pegasus as he lifted himself off the bed, expression turning more playful and a bit 'what the buck?' onto August as he passed him by on the way to the basic kits. Never mind that the grey stallion didn't even know if the Peryton's preferences swung that way, it was still weird to think that other guys considered August hot and might be panting over him. Way weird.

Inkbrand hastily made an amendment to his earlier promise - JavaSun or not, eye gauging would definitely occur if he had to be subjected to August and any guy getting frisky with one another.

"Didn't know you cared, Red," the tattoo-clad stallion snickered as he hooked a hoof around one of the packs. "Don't worry - if things start going south, you'll be the first I use for a cloud surfboard." The image of himself gliding amongst the clouds on August's back was an amusing one, but it wasn't enough to belay the sincere concerns starting to well up in him. He was adventurous, yes - but not downright stupid. If they all started plummeting out of the sky thanks to a huge blunder courtesy of one particular mad scientist, there would be Tautarus to pay.

"Dead hot," Inkbrand commented blandly without looking up as August reemerged from the closet, too busy inspecting the contents of the bag despite Java's previous instructions on what was inside. The small knife he produced with a little bit of flourish, a grin stretching over his face at the familiar feel of a bladed weapon in hoof. "Oh yeah, real useful for when we all go belly up." And by all, just him and Java. At the very least Inkbrand would bite the dust knowing that Java was going out with him.

And then, probably, meet up in the afterlife with Java recruiting him for an insane resurrection experiment.

"So where is this ship anyways?" the grey stallion questioned, eyes still inspecting the small folding knife. "Don't suppose you dragged it out back all the way from the ocean, huh."

kafyBGS.jpg

Blackwing would look around, observing the area. He still did not know why they were here, or even what they were doing here. When Blackwing saw August start to look through some things. He would start to wonder, why? With that Blackwing would then walk over too the pile and looked through it himself. He did not find anything that interested them. He would then hear why they were here.

Blackwing would be a bit ticked, he did not know how to work a airship in any way, shape or form, and although he was a bit ticked, as normal he showed no evidence of it.

Dunder grinned as the peryton got closer, and grinned even wider as the cervine spoke. Of course, Java had already flirted. And by the looks of discomfort from the tatted-up grey stallion, Dunder was sure that at least one of the group was uncomfortable. No reason for the flirting to stop.

Dunder proceeded to trot to a side of the room where he could lean on it comfortable and wait for Java to finish his inevitable freak out while explaining the job. As Dunder looked on, he was more surprised. The brown earth stallion lit a peice of paper and dropped it in a trash can that promptly burst into a quick puff of smoke. A reaction that looked more like gunpowder ignition. During the whole deal, Dunder was just mezmerized, zoned out on the flame as it traveled from the lighter, to the paper, into the trash can. The thought of the same fire traveling to all three places fascinated Dunder...but before he could get too encumbered by the thought, he shook it out.

Just in time to hear the Peryton talk about a plan to get everypony and griffon on the ground safely in case of a crash. And to hear Java declare the payment. 300,000 bits?! Dunder got back on his hooves as if in anticipation. That number didn't seem right for just testing some equipment.

After hearing August's plan, Dunder shook his head and trotted towards Java and August, "I'm thinking that me and the griffon can catch Java or the Tattoo stallion. The deer with wings can help if one of us is struggling with the flightless pony they are catching."

Then Java announced clothes and kits. The kits sounded unnecessary, except for some possible loot. He trotted over to pull a kit off a shelf down so that he could loot the medkit and knife. Everything else Dunder already had covered with his standerd desert loadout. Midway stuffing a medkit into his saddlebag, Dunder heard August just in time to see the peryton toss a cloak aside. "Don't even talk about hormones. I'm pretty sure that is a female garb that you are wearing, Peryton" Dunder called over to the group.

Java hummed to himself as his eyes observed everyone in the room. His expression remaining impartial after he raised a hoof to lower the cloth that covered his muzzle from his nose and down to his neck to reveal a impartial expression. As much as Java would love to engage in some friendly and playful flirting regardless of it actually leading into anything. He was simply to busy. To many thoughts in his mind, and so little time.

Though, this same very deer creature had brought up an interesting question. Though it did cause a decent amount of surprise from Java when he noticed August’s concern for his friend. Something he wouldn’t really label both of them for. Though he was curious about exactly how far this would extend. If their concern really extended to the other participants, then this may make some decisions a little bit more difficult for Java in the future. Only if something unexpected happens. But the likely hood of that happening was actually far slimmer than Java was really letting on.

Really, it was just a test so he could get to know his crew a bit more. After all, he only knew one of them well. And the rest of them did not seem liked the type to immediately open up. And if they were actually paying attention, they may have been able to catch on to what Java was actually doing. After all, he did mention he tests everything he makes himself, and the severity of this behavior is shown well. It’d be understandable for them to at least consider that he may have found some way to test it in such a way that one pony –CAN- operate the parts.

And the observations he made of those he didn’t know just made things seem more… interesting.

The Gryphon just seemed like a full-fledged mercenary. Stereotypical of Gryphons. He didn’t care for making friends, as long as it would get him paid. The type who could make terrible decisions, and probably sleep with it. A professional. He didn’t ask questions. And he didn’t even bother to introduce himself.

Inkbrand. A loud egotistical enforcer. Or Guardian. Sure he wasn’t really doing much. But the pony was well aware of the conversations they were having behind his back. After all, a pony’s field of vision goes behind them.

Then August. Possibly the most dangerous of the three if you were on the wrong side of his list. Not physically anyways. He is the more inquisitive type. The kind of deer who’s perceptive about things, and thinks ahead. But once again, August did have a fair, and real concern. One that Java had thought about, and even tried to remedy before beginning this odd ball journey.

“Do you mean a parachute? No. I am only licensed to a military and industrial class airship. Apparently safety equipment is a whole different story. A Glider? Sure. I’m not planning on using it,” The pony’s eyes then turned to Inkbrand. The gaze lost all hint of his happy go lucky nature and turned to the curious gaze of a scientist. “But, the problem is only I have tested it. And it does not operate like a normal glider. I don’t feel quite comfortable placing another pony in it without training.”

The pony then slowly began to remove his waistcoat, and place it down on the desk. He hummed softly as he now turned his gaze to a tool harness hanging on the wall, and plucked it up by gently catching it with a hoof.

“I’d offer it for Inkbrand’s use. But I doubt he’d listen to any instructions. And I don’t like having ponies senselessly harmed under my conscience. And so I’ve done all the testing for it myself and with my companion, Ms Sine Wave here.” The pony nodded his head to the side to motion to the sleeping tiger. He continued on while slipping the tool harness over the barrel of his body.

“But as far as falling. I wouldn’t worry too much about it. Falling from over a thousand hooves in the air would cause the same amount of damage as falling one hundred hooves. I know this as a mathematical fact. And one I learned on personal experience. If for whatever reason no one can catch you, Inkbrand. Grab onto a large flat object. Or just spread eagle, keep your chin parallel to the ground, clench your teeth, and relax. I’ve hit stone and dirt after falling off a mountain side and lived with that method. Which stone and dirt is less forgiving than sand.”

The pony then stood up, and grabbed his waist coat once more, and slipped it over his back. After hearing Inkbrand query for the airship, the pony glanced over his shoulder for a moment with a hum and made his way towards the door.

His hoof raised up and tapped down a lever, to unlock the door, and easily slid it open. Hot air quickly rushed in with a howl as the cold air created a vacuum force that caused loose paper and hanging objects to quickly lurch towards the door. But for the most part, they were all secured in place.

“It’s right outside. That giant tarp that you couldn’t possibly miss. Oh. And Inkbrand two things,”

The pony pulled a hook down from the ceiling and moved it to the door to hold it wide open. The pony then turned around to face the other pony. The expression was once again plain. Just serious. Sincere even. It lacked that insane motif behind the scientist, which generally appeared in short bursts. His tone even gave away for something more apologetic.

“Firstly. I do apologize for any bad blood between us. Sincerely. Something I rarely do. I have reasons for all my actions, including everything today, and that one day. But I don’t feel compelled to explain anything quite yet. Personal matters.”

The engineer turned about and began to trot away once more. One hoof reached into a side pocket on his vest where he pulled out a key and tossed it behind himself to the tattooed stallion before walking towards the large tarp covered structure. His tone returned to it's sing song nature as he gave Inkbrand one curious question. “Oh, and do you have any experience with boats? Particularly flying things?”

The pony then motioned to the large tarped object with both hooves. “Because the answer I am looking for is no!”

The truth was, Java was secretly terrified of this decision. But the enforcer behavior does tend to make better pilots, as they are more concerned with keeping their crew alive.

-----

The knife is a plain edged blade of approximately 15 cm in length. It's capable of folding down to a easily pocketed size. The blade is fairly new, but shows signs of hoof honing along the edge, making it incredibly sharp, but more likely to dull faster.

zaug_zps306f03f1.png

"Don't even talk about hormones. I'm pretty sure that is a female garb that you are wearing, Peryton"

August blinked at the stallion's words, but quickly regained his usual composure, tilting his head high and trotting towards Inkbrand. "Well, I still look fantastic." He stood beside his friend and craned his neck forward to catch a peek of the knife in his hoof.

He heard Java explaining that no safety precautions would be included during this whole ordeal. No surprise. Why else would the pay be so high? Good thing there were a couple of strong fliers on the team. And if push came to shove, he'd most likely be able to ease some of Inkbrand's fall damage at least. Not so keen on the whole 'cloud surfboard' thing though, as hilarious as that must look. He'd end up needing chiropractic care for months if they had a crash landing. Speaking of fall damage, Java seems to believe that Inkbrand would actually survive a plummet into the sand from who-knows-how-many-hooves high. The notion seemed pretty silly to be honest, but if this Java fellow really survived falling from a mountain, then he must be an expert at falling by now. He shouldn't take it too hard when August leaves him hanging in order to save Inkbrand instead. Nothing personal. But if manure hits the fan, no one else is going to matter expect for Inkbrand and himself.

As he gazed silently at the knife, he realized his kit thingy wasn't obtained yet. The peryton stood up and approached the shelf, hooking his hoof around the bag and pulling it from it's original post. A sudden vacuum and rush of hot air caused August to glance at Java, who was suddenly wearing his waist coat again.

“It’s right outside. That giant tarp that you couldn’t possibly miss. Oh. And Inkbrand two things,”

Oh yes. Time to finally get the ball rolling! August hopped outside before hearing the rest of Java's sentence. Something about a brand of ink or whatever. He frolicked over to the massive tarp and stood in front of it, watching as it gave a violent dance against the winds. Come to think of it, with gust this strong, his gliding abilities would be greatly improved wouldn't they? Maybe. He might even fly so to speak. Java caught up with him and announced his wish for 'no' as an answer from someone. No what? Eh, whatever. He'll find out if it's that important. Now to see how much of a junk heap this thing really is.

• 2 weeks later...

Frdnlm6.png

[[ Current Outfit ]]

Well, that answered that question.

But still raised the other curious one, on how exactly JavaSun had managed to drag a bucking derelict airship from the ocean into the desert. It was entirely possible the coffee-colored pony may have mentioned the method he used sometime ago, but in all honesty, who could be expected to pay close attention when a mad scientist was going off on an equally mad tangent? In either case, Inkbrand supposed, it didn't really even matter, so long as it was there so he could get paid.

The tattoo-clad slid off the bed, readjusting his cloak as he prepared to follow August outside. He was brought up short, however, by another round of more talking from JavaSun - though, this round was a bit more personal. And interesting. Inkbrand couldn't help the rise of his eyebrows as he listened, an almost deadpanned expression falling onto his face as gears in his brain seemed to work overtime. As much as Inkbrand loved being able to read other ponies when he was able to, JavaSun was not making it easy for him, either an incredible actor or…genuine.

'Seriously, what the buck is his game.'

It took the tossing of a key in his direction to snap Inkbrand out of his inner dilemma, having to juggle the key in surprise before he got a hold of it. "Yeah, well," the grey stallion said gruffly. Apologies had never been his forte, either giving them or accepting them, and especially when he had no idea if they really were sincere or not. Still, Inkbrand tossed the key up into the air and caught it again as he followed August outside, a lopsided smirk on his face as he passed by JavaSun.

Alright then. For now.

The scientist's second question was almost enough to cause the same amount of confusion, but this time Inkbrand was quick to answer as he strode over beside August, eyeing the tarp-covered ship. "Congratulations then - buck no I don't know how to fly boats," the grey Earth Pony said cheerfully, before reaching out to grab at the tarp with his mouth, giving it a giant tug in an attempt to uncover the derelict ship. No parachutes, no experienced pilot, and a hunk of metal liable to fall out of the sky at any moment? This had all the makings of an experience of epic proportions, or a great big splatter on the desert floor.

kafyBGS.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dunder finished shoving everything he could into his various bags. But when he tried to pick it back up, he noticed that the armor in his saddlebags were clunky and heavier on his flanks. Everypony was getting all dressed up anyway... he might as well join the party. He set his bags back down, pulled out his morion helmet and steel chest plate.

Dunder slipped on his buff coat for light protection, and then his chest plate over that. finally, he strapped the helmet to his head, just as everypony began to exit this staging area. Before that, anyway, everypony seemed to be doing their own thing.

“Indeed you do,” Java hummed out as he now sat next to the covered ship. His goggled eyes dancing over the preyton once more. The pony was glad that his face was covered once more, as that small comment from him did force himself to blush. His gaze then slowly started to turn to Dunder, “And don't judge another pony for cro-”

The pony stopped dead before he could finish his sentence. His gaze fixed on the Dunder in both a delightful awe and surprise. The awe being that the armor actually looked stunning on the stallion. And the surprise being that he had actually brought armor to a testing site. It was a bit unnecessary, but Java didn't complain about it. After all, his vest biggest secret was a chain-shirt within it's threading.

“Whe... where did you even have that,” Java asked, trying to recall anything that the stallion might have brought with him. But such a dumb question did inspire another thought in his head. POCKETS! BIG POCKETS! POCKETS YOU CAN STICK A FRICKEN HAYBALE IN NO PROBLEM!

It took a bit of effort, but the large canvas tarp came down regardless. As it left the structure from the opposite side of the group, the wind caught it and assisted in it's removal by lifting it high into the air. The ends of the brown canvas danced erratically before finally being completely carried off by the wind and cast aside onto the ground where it tumbled about. Eventually along the lines it got snagged on a rock and remained in place.

Java wasn't lying about the ship, nor it's condition. While it wasn't the grandest of vessels seen in the sky. It possibly wasn't the worst given the amount of care that was put in when it was cannibalized. The ship did have the appearance that it was once used on the oceans. And was possibly once used in Naval combat by the signs of scratched wood and the occasional splintered areas that had to be sanded down. The entire vessel was carefully placed on a riser to allow the engineer to work on it's underside.

The ship used a hybrid version of a sloop and a frigate as it's main hull. It had the multi-tierd decks like a frigate did, and was generally shorter. But had the narrow and streamlined features of a sloop as it's overall build. And thus sacrificing what could have easily been integrity and space, for speed and agility.

The airship had it's lower hull completely removed, and possibly scrapped for parts else where. Instead of the keel that used to be in the water. It was now virtually flat, kept for smoothly curved beams of wood lining the bottom for support.

The sides of the ships were also a little odd.

On the aft (rear) of the ship, a long tail like structure designed of metal beams, and a wooden crosswalk with a railing on-top. At the end, two large engines could be seen attached to this beam, and secured in place quite well.

Either side of the ship had a line of smooth red-bronze colored metal plates covering the wood. Which not only ensured that the ship's outer hull and some protection. But also did a number in helping with the ships appearance by covering the mixture of freshly cut boards, and old splintered wood. Small metal pipes could also be seen, curving from the deck, to the bottom of the ship. From the design, they clearly weren't ment for any liquids or gasses, and were probably just there for decoration.

The bow (front) of the ship was perhaps the strangest. In fact, from the side, you could tell that there really wasn't anything underneath the very front. This portion was left as a mostly uncovered portion of the ships metallic skeleton. The upper portion of the bowl had been covered with metal plates in an odd manner, creating what looked like a menacing upper jaw of a shark. The helm was also located here. Situated just mere hoof steps from any pony accidentally falling off the front. Rounded beams of metal surrounded the area, making a decent area for where glass could have been placed. But for some reason remains absent. From the helm, it was also possible to easily see below the ship.

Above the vessel, was a large oblong balloon. There wasn't much deviation here when it came to regular civilian airships. The only real signs of it's deviation was it's top portion had a series of fins lining the top.

On both the right and left side of the ship were two smaller oblong balloons. They were attached to the ship by frame created from a mixture of metal and wood (possibly from what used to be the keel). Walkways were present once more, allowing any pony or creature to set foot on top of the balloons if they choose to. One large fin created of metal rods and tightly woven red canvas lined folded neatly underneath. And on the back of each side balloons, accessed by a U shaped staircase, is a single engine of similar design, but smaller when compared to the ones on the back.

And on the deck, was a single room cabin. A series of walkways attached to what used to be the mast of the sea vessel. And an odd assortment of wires that clearly had no visible reason of existing on the ship. They reached across many different areas of the ship. From it's tail on the aft, to just slightly behind the helm. Even to either side of the ship. But they were all easily accessible from a staircase at the cabin.

Over all, the ship still looked like it was destroyed at one point, where the clear contrast of recent repairs and additions are easily seen. But it looked decent enough to inspire the idea that it was in-fact safe to ride in. And looked relatively fast for it's horrifying history. But it was smaller than a lot of other ships. Appearing to be capable of holding only a crew of seven without it feeling cramped

Java smiled with a sense of pride to the ship. While his life works was in the components, he couldn't help but to feel a sense of compassion for the entire thing. Like it was his little foal that he had fathered into an adult, and occasionally, treats her like a foal still.

“Well! And there she is! She's a piece of junk. But well, it's my piece of junk. So I hope you hold onto anything hurtful you might have to say. No name yet, but I thought of calling her 'She's one of ours' in case she ever see's a fight. Not even sure if I am keeping her either,” Java hummed cheerfully as he trotted up a staircase on the riser. His side lightly grazing along the ship, like a captain whom was admiring is own.

He continued up the staircase, till he was up on the vessel’s deck. He gave the floor boards a light couple of stamps with his hoof. Both as a way superstitious way to chase away any bad juju, and to cue the activation of the engines.

Java raised his head up to the air, inhaling deeply. He foresaw too few of a moments where he could bask in the moment, And so he was doing so now. The anticipation was all to great. And the time was now.

“BREEZE ON,” The pony called out. And by the force of literal magic, all four of the ships engines kicked to life. There was not a sound of a roar to greet him. Not the sound of a whine up. But the sound of howling winds. In fact, all four of the engines had been blowing a powerful gust of wind from openings in the side of their hulls. The same wind, licked the sand off of the ground and scattered it heavily into the air, creating a cloud of dirt around them.

The stallion let out a laugh. as he spun around in place, watching the years of his work all coming to life for one glorious test run. He kept spinning, going faster and faster, before he finally took off running around the deck like a maniac. His eyes darting to every single little detail. The lights that were flickering on. The starting hum of the compressor filling the balloons with air.

After one lap, the pony came back to a sliding hault, with just one word to describe his over-boiling cauldrin of emotions. “YES!”

The pony jumped into the air, and landed, before continuing his rambling. “ FANTASTIC! Gentlemen! I welcome you to the first of her breed of airships! Energy Efficient. No! Energy Less! Cost effective. And most importantly, the force to be reckoned with of the sky!” He spun on his hooves once more then arted to the front of the ship, leading the group to the helm.

Alright! Before I give you all a very brief, and yes all of you, crash course on how to fly! I am going to go ahead and state my reasons on WHY Inkbrand will be flying today!”

He raised up a hoof, counting off his reasons.

“A. This ship is a completely different design! New paradigm! Down to the bone! It wouldn't be a good idea if even I flew this thing! Nor anyone with flight experience! She won't fly like a normal ship! She will buck the air into submission, and roll along it's blood! Someone with no experience is easily able to adapt because he has no habbits to resort too! You want it to turn? It'll turn! Right after it breaks the laws of physics! Which could throw us off the ship if he's not careful. Or cause it to capsize in the air!”

The pony then raised up his other hoof.

“B! I have a feeling the lot of you would be nervous about me flying the stupid thing anyways! And I honestly shouldn't be flying it... because of the whole....hospital...thing. That... and I need to make sure the components are doing their jobs! Otherwise,” The pony stopped right there. He sat down on his flank to give himself some balance as he drew his fore hooves together. He then quickly opened them up while creating a playful sound. “BOOM! Not good. Not good at all!”

The engineering stallion then raised up a hind leg in the air. “And lastly! C! The big buckin hero, demented general, or egotistical personalities generally make for excellent pilots! The kind whom tend to be big and bad, but does a lot of micromanaging! Oh and the one of you can do this!”

Java's fore hooves dipped down out of sight, and raised back up in a complete blur. Out of no where, the stallion had managed to attach a collection of sticks to his fore-hooves with a rubber band. His hooves where near his chin when he began to wiggle them violently. Causing the “digits” to haphazardly dance around in the air.

“Incredibly useful!”

“Any questions? Any regrets? Anyone who wants to abort this now,” Java then swung his hid leg off to the side to kick a lever. A soft hiss could be heard around them as the ship now began it's ascent into the air toward the sky.

“If you wish to leave! Better do so now if you can't fly! Anyone? No? Good!”

Java quickly darted to the side of the ship, and looked down to the ground level, where his tiger was waiting patiently. "Sine! Deliver the payments! And stop by..." he stopped for a moment. And cursed to himself when he realized that the tiger likely wouldn't know where that was. The stallion quickly pulled out a piece of paper, and scribbled something down. Another second, and it was stuffed into an envelope and thrown over the railing.

"... LOOK FOR THE ONLY PINK STALLION IN CANTERLOT! AND GIVE HIM THAT! Seriously... you can't miss him."

zaug_zps306f03f1.png

Well that is certainly a work of art, isn't it?

When the tarp left the structure in question, it revealed a patchy old ship. Thankfully, it wasn't quite as flimsy looking as he initially expected. The ugly old heap of parts just might function quite decently after all. A remark was inches away from leaving his mouth when Java warned against "hurtful" comments regarding No Name. He bit his tongue and let the words fall into nothingness. Not out of regard for the scientists pony's feelings. Only close friends earned such a luxury from him. But because Java was thinking about naming the ship "She's one of ours." of all things. What kind of name is that? Sounds more like a sappy quote.

He followed Java onto the deck and simply watched as the scientist pony scrambled around in unhinged excitement over the airship's awakening. Now the ball was finally rolling! Soon they'll be flying through the air on a likely unstable airship with half a crew of flightless ponies. What a beautiful recipe for an interesting time. Sure beats the heck out of visiting the library.

Java then explained his outrageous and somehow convincing reasons behind choosing Inkbrand as their pilot. August had to admit, he couldn't wait to see Inkbrand try and fly this thing. Though the sweet, sweet wings on his back might have something to do with his eagerness to experience some good old life threatening fun. But In all honesty, he was just a thrill seeking idiot. Wings or no wings.

For the first time, August noticed Dunder's set of armor thanks to the blinding reflection bouncing off the metal surface and right into his eye. He blinked and averted his gaze elsewhere. "If we get ambushed by sky pirates, just get Dunder over here to blind the enemy with his shiny armor until they surrender."

The next thing he saw was Java wiggling his hoof around after attaching a series of sticks to it. How in Tartarus is that 'incredibly useful?' His thoughts were cut short as the airship took to the skies. He peered down as the scientist pony gave a confusing order to his over sized cat. Best not to question it too much.

There was something so nice about looking down at all the gravity cursed sand as it swept across the landscape. And after growing bored of that, he veered his attention from the ground to attach a few sticks to his right hoof via a rubber band. He admired his work for a moment before frolicking over to Inkbrand. "At first I wasn't a believer, but now I've seen the light." He lifted his stick-embellished hoof and snickered. "How could I have been so blind as to deny the incredible usefulness of hoof sticks."

• 4 weeks later...

Frdnlm6.png

[[ Current Outfit ]]

If Inkbrand had been surprised at the sudden heavy armoring of a Pegasus - what was he expecting, a mid-air fight? - then it was nowhere to what the grey stallion was currently feeling now.

Along with a resurgence of confusion, trepidation, and general 'what the buck'ness.

Wordlessly, Inkbrand edged onto the ship after August, stunned into silence as the engines came to life. Never mind that the ship was apparently powered only by magic - it almost sounded like a hurricane was brewing below them or something - but its overall appearance had him speechless. At the very least, the ship…looked like an actual ship, fit to fly. He'd been imagining something out of a pirate story, pictures that showed a shipwrecked vessel moored on the rocks, outer trimmings stripped completely until the skeleton of the ship lay bare for all the world. Inkbrand supposed he should have felt grateful that the ship had actual flooring to stand on.

Amongst other things.

JavaSun was currently wetting himself with excitement over his victory, so Inkbrand, once again, let the words wash over him - though, his head did come springing up when the scientist started listing the reasons he'd been chosen as the pilot. "Bucking straight we're the best," the tattoo-clad stallion huffed, albeit a bit hesitantly, unsure if he'd just been subtly insulted or not. Inkbrand settled on brushing past JavaSun a little forcefully, just in case that had been a cleverly disguised insult, watching the balloons begin to swell up with air and wind as the desert sands whipped all around them.

…Yeah, okay. That was kind of cool. Buck him if he wasn't starting to feel a thrum of anticipation course through him.

Said anticipation was momentarily stalled as August suddenly came flouncing up to his side, proudly showing off…sticks. Inkbrand cast them a wry glance, smirk hidden by the balaclava stilled pulled firmly over his muzzle. "You've got that right Red," he commented idly, reaching out to snag one of the sticks from the Peryton's hoof, "buck all useful. Good way to stick a point home, if they keep making eyes at 'ya." A few jabs of the stick in JavaSun and Dunder's general directions demonstrated exactly how Inkbrand would use the 'incredibly useful' hoof sticks, a low snicker leaving his throat, before he blithely tossed the stick over one shoulder, rearing up his head slightly.

"We done talking yet?" Inkbrand called out, trouncing off in the direction of the helm. The wood felt surprisingly smoothed and polished underneath his hooves as the grey Earth Pony grasped the wheel, giving it a few experimental twists before the ship actually got up off the ground. "It's time to add genius pilot to my dossier!" Which, according to JavaSun, is exactly what he would be once the ship took off. And with little to no extra effort on his own part.

Inkbrand tossed some hair out of his face with a smirk. Yup, he was just that good.

kafyBGS.jpg

• 1 month later...

Dunder noticed Java dishing out an odd glance of wonderment. He decided not to say anything, who knew what Java could have been thinking at that moment. Dunder was certainly not pleased by Java hamming up the whole 'crazy' routine. Dunder could only feel that would cause too many complications later. Dunder could see it now: Java pile driving the ship into another ship out of fierce defiance to give up.

When Dunder heard August's comment about the armor, Dunder gave August a grin. "Like it? I told my friend not to polish it, but she did anyway. It's kinda grown on me." Dunder patted the chest peice with a hoof, "Anyway it's not that bright. The metal probably just seems brighter cuz it's dark now."

When Java revealed the ship, Dunder blinked a few times. The ship was the definition of patchwork. "Wow, I am impressed Java. Though it looks so ugly only a mother could love it. But if you are right and this works..." The ship looks like it was never meant to fly again after getting smashed up the first time. "Well I hope it flies. If it doesn't fly, I suppose a ride home would be out of the question, huh?" Dunder chuckled. Not a luxury liner, but as long as it works Dunder was okay with living with the bare minimum for a while.

Dunder was absentmindedly following the group. And now it seemed that the storm was picking up even more followed by the crescendo of whipping winds. "Whoah. Did you just voice command it on?" Now that was impressive.

Upon hearing the news that one of the flightless ponies would fly the thing, Dunder was about to protest. But speaking up would have probably accomplished nothing. Dunder instead listened carefully to Java. And at least one of the three reasons was convincing enough. Not like Dunder trusted himself to fly the ship anyway, but Dunder honestly trusted Java more than Inkbrand but was ready to be proved wrong.

"Well GOOD. Let's just start flying. You better not mess flying this thing up. I mean, I'm not worried since I can fly down. You and Java have to worry." Dunder said to Inkbrand after his demonstration of hoofsticks. Of course, the pegasus was hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. With experimental designs, nopony ever knew.

To take his mind off of the bad thoughts, Dunder navigated closer to the sides of the ship. There he wanted to look down as they ascended into the sky. This time Dunder wouldn't have to do all the wing flapping to gain altitude. Java slapped this heap of scrap metal together to do that.

• 2 weeks later...

photo-9584.png?_r=1416876179

Hearing Dunder insult the appearance of his beloved work... after explicitly asking the group not to sort of struck a nail right through Java's heart. His ears lowered some as he looked to his ship. “You aren't ugly,” he thought to himself as he ran a hoof along the floor-boards. “You just need some work is all.”

Java quickly cleared his throat, as he waited for the ship to ascend further in the air. The sudden change in disposition of his comrade did greatly improve his mood. Causing a grin to creep along his muzzle as he trotted closer to the helm. Then past it till he was now trotting along the bowsprit. The tapering rod that juts off the very front of the ship and attaches to the balloon above by a long cable.

The stallion spun around on the narrow rounded platform to look down to the group below. “Noooow....” he began. His gaze wondered up to the clouds as he began to think. It wasn't that he was thinking of any cruel or helpful positions for his crew. He just literally forgot why he was up here. That was till Dunder mentioned a very good point. Something that he thought he addressed... which he did... just not very well.

“Oh right! The risk of crashing...” Java hummed softly. His tone was dronish as he lifted his goggles off of his face. He began to mumble something in coherent, even to himself as he thought it over. He finally spoke up, lilting his tone in a sing song manner. “It'll be fine if he bumps a mountain or two. She'll take damage, but she'll bounce right off. Steel skeleton, and she was designed to give on stress. Nose... dive on the other hand... different story. It'd ruin the front of the ship... and unfortunately the helm.” The pony's mind drifted off into wonder land. He only imagined being able to see the tattooed stallion's hoof under a pile of rubble, and the entire deck looking like a beef stroganoff had exploded. The pony held a visible grimace after shuddering.

“I seriously do not recommend ramming nose first... unless you know what you are doing. Sure... that rounded metal cage near it... where it looks like glass is supposed to be? That's supposed to protect you from large things... but even that gives.”

The came the problem of falling. His gaze drifted downwards to the desert below them. A brief calculation later and he could determine that the chances of survival were about fourty five percent. Decent, but still not the greatest.

“Now Falling? Well! I'll be fine.” The pony chimed in as he reached past his waistcoat, to hook his hoof on something. He gave his hoof a tug, causing a metallic hissing echo in the air. With his hoof out, he revealed a metallic wire with a series of different hooks on it. In a way... it was a repelling cord. In another way... it was a metallic lasso. And another... a grappling hook.

“I'd bring a spare just in case. But I wasn't quite sure if it would have been necessary.”

The pony gave his hoof a flick, letting the wire leave his reach, and quickly snap back under his jacket. Once again, a creating a loud metallic ripping noise.

His gaze then shifted to Inkbrand. If his gaze wasn't so difficult to read normally, it'd be easy to tell he was lying through his teeth with this note. His tone did change dramatically however. The usual lilting in his voice, gave away to reveal Java's natural voice. It was a deep baritone with a carrying bass. And topped with a hint of calculating each and every word he used. “I am sure that won't actually happen however...” He then looked up to the cabin behind the group.

“In the events that does happen... I think there's an experimental glider inside there, the kitchen I think? I tested it myself, and continuously made improvements for a while. And with this newer model... it has yet to malfunction. But... that doesn't mean it's idiot proof, like all gliders. Do something wrong, and it will be more dangerous than falling. Alternatively....” his gaze quickly flicked to August. A wide and demented grin appearing over his muzzle. The earlier mentioning of Inkbrand using him as a surfboard did sound like an awesome idea. His dialect quickily swapped to a sterotypical surfer, "Just ride on his back, and catch some gnarly gusts dude..."

The strange engineering pony's tongue slid out of his jaws. And remained there for a moment. He his gaze was boring through the group as he was now recollecting his thoughts, once more. Which ended almost abruptly when the ship gave a sudden jar, nearly tossing the pony over.

The stallion actually had to dip his body downwards to resettle his balance, other wise he might have a sudden reason for ending this day pretty early.

“Oh good! We're ready now!” The stallion chimed. He quickly tilted back, and sat down on the bowsprit. He lifted his hooves up, and allowed his body to slide back down to the deck.

“RIGHT! The tutorial!”

The stallion spun about, with his hooves pointing to many different areas. He took absolutely no care in carefully explaining anything. But he did take the time to point out the necessities.

“Positions of a ship!” He began still in mid spin. His hoof pointing upwards towards the sky, going from left to right. “Port A! Starboard A” His hooves then shifted downwards, “Port B, Starboard B!”

“Behind is aft! Front is forward!”

The stallion's body whipped around more violently. The tail of his coat was now jutting off of his body from the sheer velocity. His outstretched hoof lowered just slightly to slap one of the levers into position. And by response, the shift began a slow stroll forward.

The stallion's spinning body now shifted away from the wheel, and stopped abruptly. His gaze settled on the group.

Energetically, Java began to explain everything with such incredible speed, that it would easily rival any host of an auction.

“Normally, you'd be required to read a manual!” The stallion hummed softly, raising a large bulky book up into the air. He then tossed it carelessly over the railing, and allowed it to to fall to the dunes below.

“It was written in the middle of an inebriated stupor after...” The pony hesitated. His jaws moving silently as he tried to find a way to downgrade exactly what he did. “... a couple of drinks... and... maybe some festive with a group of griffons.” Java cleared his throat.

“This ship is a designed skirmisher! She don't look pretty because she's made for functionality! Not luxury. That being said, her controls are as easy as being a pimp back-hoofin a heifer.”

Thes stallion then motioned to the helm, for the stallion to approach it. “That said! I am sure you can figure out what the wheel does.” he then pointed to several levers. “Top one here behind the wheel controls how fast we go. Becareful... this ship can move. This one here controls the balance of the ship's port and starboard side. This is good for tighter turns. This one is for-”

His hoof had barely even began it's motion before the air was filled with a whistling sound. Java tried to continue, by repeating what he had began, but promptly stopped when the sound became utterly annoying. His eyes narrowed as he let out a soft huff of air. His hoof slid his goggles down so he could gaze up to the source without worry of being blinded by the sun. "Now what is that.."

He stared up into the air for a moment before he finally noticed a trail of white smoke hurtling towards them. The stallion continued watching it with a dull expression. “Oh.....” he began momentarily with an inquisitive tone. The thought finally clicking onto him when he recognized what it was. And even more seemed to have joined it. Appearing from the clouds where a dark shadow lurked.

“Oh, buck me! DOWN! NOW!,” he screamed out as the volley neared the ship. But he couldn't move in time as the first one landed. A firy eruption bursted from the side of the ship as splinters of wood and metal had been sent soaring through the air. Java heard the sound of glass breaking, momentairly followed by a sudden stinging pain all over his chest before the shockwave caught up to him. The stallion had actually been hurtled, cartwheeling even, through the air till he landed hard on the deck. The rest of the volley had either skimmed along the bottom, or bounced off of the balloons and went careening towards the ground.

He flopped about in place like a dying fish. dazed before finally managing to right himself, stumbling dizzily back to his hooves. His waist-coat was frayed, and had slivers of wood digging into his torso. The left lens of Java's goggles had been practically destroyed, with a long slended nail sticking out of it. “HAHA-OK! THAT's NEW,” The stallion giggled madly. His body continued to dance about as adrenaline pumped through his viens.

“OK! OK! Ok! UHM! Not part of the test. I think? Wait.. no YES?! NO! Uh... hahah, most definitely not part of the test. Oh ow...ow-ow-ow! This hurts... some way. I probably deserved this. I think I got something in my eye... and my favorite goggles is ruined,” The stallion laughed as a hoof went up to figure out what was obstructing his vision. When his hoof tapped the nail, the stallion let out a low whine, after moving it, and quickly pulled his hoof back. Unfortunately, he had forgotten that the tip of his shoes are magnetized... thus proving to cause the stallion even more pain, and pulling out another hiss and frantic jerk of the head from the stallion. a slight trickle of darkening fur could be seen just under the lens.

He could see perfectly through said eye... the nail had just barely sunk it's way into his cheek under the eye. The shattered lense held it in place, and kept it from going anywhere... aside from the sudden jerk that was caused by the engineer's magnetic hoof, only further opening up the wound. "Welp! That eye's gone, for the day! Oh well, eye-patches are cool!" The stallion hummed casually. His dizziness only barely fading as more whistling sounds could be heard from above. The stallion stumbled about, limping, his head whipping about to look around for the group.

“Erm... care to get this thing moving, Inky? Now... I am only ninety-nine.....point nine percent sure... but I think we are being attacked! OH! And... I guess now I should mention to you guys that this ship is armed.... but the weapons are... of non-lethal variety, untested, and pretty dangerous to use. BUT! They are weapons, which you get to use to blow something up."

The stallion's head looked between Dunder, and August making sure they were all-right. When he was sure, a smile would appear over his lips, his head canted to the right, and added. "AND! It's completely optional! You are technically only required to test the ship! Not try and defend it! If you wish to abandon! You are free to do so, and you still get fully paid! Nice right? I'd hate to ask you to risk your neck. Even if we hadn't quite tested everything else, which would require the rest of yall. Stay, while I already added this sort of risk to the pay.... I won't be above allowing yall to look through the wreckage of other ships to see if you can find something you like. Or you just might be adrenaline jocks, and decide to stay anyways... I don't know."

His gaze flicked upwards, noticing shadows circling above them. The dark blotch in the clouds soon poked it's way out of cover, revealing to be a single large vessel, backed by several smaller ships. And for the circling shadows? A variety of rogue changelings and menacing pegasus with brass claws on their fore-hooves rain down above them. Each one of them was dressed in some sort of salvage bandoleer armor. Cannibalizing peaces from broken ships, and machinery to wear along their bodies.

"Option is completely yours however... because I believe these are pirates," Java hummed softly in thought. "And frankly... they wouldn't be out here for no reason, even attacking a ship out here would just be plain stupid... so they may be looking for something."

The stallions gaze then tipped downwards towards his chest. Finally noticing the fragments of wood and small bits of metal embedded seemingly deep. He looked a bit astonished at first. But then a smirk came to his muzzle. "And they said the ole chain shirt in the vest was a bit much! Well this proves them wrong! I don't think I'd be here if it," The stallion laughed in a sing song manner after opening up his jacket to peek down at his own body. some of the fragments had torn through completely, but the metal lining the inside of the jacket, plus the skillfully tight hempen weavings was enough to stop the shrapnel from causing any more damage than a couple of scratches.

The vest on the other hand, now held a few holes, and torn fabric hanging in occasional locations. Through those holes, the chain-mail shirt could be seen quite easily. It lacked the shiny luster, and was made of thin but tight circles of wire. But it was in fact literally implanted inside of the waistcoat. A simple little jacket, had been re-engineered by the mad stallion into a means of minimal personal protection. Originally for lab environments in case things went south. But as proven here... it can still be quite successful in the results in regards to pirate attacks.

And as for the final volley of attacks. Java wasn't quite worried about them. Being a walking calculator had it's advantages, and it made it easier to figure out what to freak out over, and what not too.

For instance, if a projectile with negligible weight and air-resistance was to soar through the air at a muzzle velocity of a certain speed was fired directly at them, would it hit? Of course, given that this next volley had been fired at them directly, a downwards angle of approximately forty-nine degrees, the pony doesn't even have to bother spending the next one second mentally calculating everything! They'd have to have a scalor distance of a little over two hundred meters for it to matter! Gravity would have a more dramatic effect early on, and cause the rounds to simply fly underneath the ship! And that, they did!

RULES OF BATTLE

1. Naturally, NPC's will board the ship at random times and attack the crew. You are allowed to create as many and control as many NPC's as you'd like. But do not control other's NPC's unless you have their permission.

2. Do not god mode anything. You are bound to get jacked up if you try taking on an entire hoard. These are pirates, they won't attack one at a time if they surround you. They just jump on you.

3. Do not control another's character without permission.

4. Pretty much anything within forum rules go.

((Also, I will no longer be using stupidly large posts for this RP. That was sacrificing content over quality, so I can get this RP moving faster. Side note. We can also end the RP now, with the choice that Java delivered. ))

Archived