Second Chances://Closed RariBlood thread

QuickLime

raritySmallerimage_zps1bfc7ca6.png

Oooh no, no no no no NO! She did not care if that..that..BORE was here to apologize, she would absolutely NOT go on a second "date" with this..unprince-ly prince charming! No no no, a thousand times NO! Celestia herself could not come down and make this relationship WORK! She would rather date DISCORD than Prince...Ugh BLUEBLOOD!

But here she was, waiting outside of Canterlot...glancing up at the castle, in a very lovely ensemble, far more modest than her first dress for a -DEEP SIGH- make up date..because when Princess Celestia insists she wants her nephew to make it up to you..well you do what is insisted...Rarity however swore that if he caused one ounce of trouble, one ounce of humiliation..ONE TOE OUT OF LINE! Then she and her fabulous ensemble were leaving and never looking back.

"I do hope he's managed to grow up over the years" Granted she was possibly being too harsh, after all it had been at LEAST two years now since the "Best night ever" And time had a way of changing people did it not?

angry_rarity_by_ilonis-d4f6qoo_zpse96f59a9.png

DID IT NOT?!

PrinceBluebloodbanner_zps6a9c8c6f.png

5 hours of preparation, just to make sure he was never once caught looking in a mirror.

*Worth every second.* And all that was quite apart from the fact that the stallion now preening himself for the last time was the handsomest devil in Canterlot. Everypony knew that, even those who were quick to point out that Prince Blueblood had few other social virtues in evidence. His habitual air of serene self-satisfaction steadily evaporated as his polished hooves brought him closer to the castle door, however. He knew perfectly well that this would quite possibly be the most perilous evening of his life.

The Prince sighed. His aunt hadn't needed to be so forceful about setting this whole thing up. He was going to apologize to Rarity for his behavior on that... memorable first meeting at the Gala. Eventually. When he was ready. You couldn't rush this sort of thing! Tartarus had no fury like a mare offended, and judging by the fact that he'd practically been able to hear her snorting from his bedroom window, time had not soothed her.

The tiled floor from the stairwell to the palace entrance had never seemed so long and so short at the same time. He simultaneously wanted it to go on forever, and yet couldn't wait to have it all done with. Only one date without disaster. That surely wasn't too much to expect?

The wooden portal swung open, revealing Blueblood in all his glory. He'd opted for a full dinner jacket ensemble, rather than the cravat done up like a shirtfront he'd tossed on for the Gala. The stiff starch in his shirtfront made navigating the steps a delicate business, but he wanted as much protection between himself and his date should disaster strike.

He nearly missed the last step, but smoothly transitioned from the trip into a bow as he approached the unicorn mare. "Good evening, Lady Rarity. I trust your journey was not too tiring?" Well, he'd gone a full 15 seconds without making a fool of himself. A good sign, perhaps?

• 3 weeks later...

UpsetRarityBanner_zps6c218863.png

At least right off the other APPEARED to be trying to be some semblance of a gentleman!Truly she could appreciate the effort, but still, there was the nasty events of years gone by, tugging at the corners of Rarity's mind, making focusing on the now rather difficult for a moment. The doors, the use of her scarf so he wouldn't get wet, the expecting her to trea!- Actually the more Rarity thought on it, she was starting to have the nasty realization that she was the one that had expected him to do the exact same thing..like this was some bizarre double standard that she was just now thinking on...

And now she felt a little sheepish, because truly they had BOTH behaved rather poorly..

Rarityremorse_zpsd40c75a6.png

Rarity glanced down slightly at Blue Blood as he very gracefully avoided tripping by segwaying into a bow... "Oh why.." For a moment she was short on words, putting her hoof to her mouth.. " Good evening yourself your Highness, My journey went very well, thank you so much for your inquiry ! It was a rather pleasant trip if I'm honest, the trains have so improved over the years I do think!"

It took two people putting effort into something to cause a change, and though Rarity still felt a twinge of anger from days gone past, she now understood..that if this was to work? They'd both have to make it work...and he was honestly and truly trying...

So why shouldn't she?

One polite remark, one pleasant reply. Blueblood began to relax; this whole 'being a gentlecolt' thing wasn't going to be so hard after all! Really, all the Prince had to do was be his charming self, and things would work out swimmingly. "Ah, have they now? I never take the train myself; I can always fly or sail anywhere I need to go." Was that too high-browed and snobbish? Yes, he supposed upon upon reflection, a somewhat sensitive soul might very possibly see it as such, but better safe than sorry with a mare who was demonstrably willing to smash cake in your face if she didn't like your attitude. "But perhaps I shall now." He added hastily. "That new line to the Crystal Empire, perhaps. I was at sea when it all came back, and it has been a while since I visited my royal cousin..."

He began to peer around the square in front of the castle gates. Where was that carriage he had asked for? He'd left very specific instructions with the guards... oh, right. Auntie had forbidden him the use of the royal carriage as yet another ego-deflating edict. Really, though, he thought she might have made an exception for tonight! Wasn't this date her idea, anyway?

Perfidies of princesses aside, that left Blueblood the choice of walking, or calling a cab like any common pony. At this, however, he balked. Redoing dates was one thing, but a Prince had to have standards! Summoning up his suavest of manners, he smiled upon Rarity. "Well, what would you say to a little promenade down the boulevards of our fair city of Canterlot? It would be a disservice to its citizens to box up such visions of beauty in wheeled cart, after all." That might have been laying it on a little thick, and the uncharitable would say (rightly enough) that Blueblood was referring to himself as well as to Rarity, but insofar as it was a compliment, he meant it. The unicorn mare was a true vision of loveliness, when her features were not distorted by wrath...

• 2 months later...

SmallRarityBanner_zps4eb0d218.png

Pft, he was still the same BlueBlood, but she mentally applauded him for reigning his behavior in at the last second. "Why yes, they are very clean, and comfortable, and even the food has increased in quality from just a years time, I do think you'd enjoy the first class car very much... " She assured him, though at the news he had been..at SEA..? Then again he was there when she had christened the boat... she had figured that was for publicity, but thinking back "Why I didn't know you were a Sailor type Your Highness"

There was a moment of silence from her as she let the other talk about going for a Promenade... tsk, just call it a walk.... for a moment she assumed he was talking about himself when he spoke about a "vision of beauty" but his gaze, made her realize, that he was in fact talking about her... which elicited a light flush on her face, straightening herself up, and moving a hoof to lightly fix her mane "...I do think that would be very pleasant, I am quite fond of the Boulevards, and to be honest, my legs are restless from the train ride, a walk is a excellent idea your highness"

Another small smile as she nodded her head in agreement, batting her lashes slowly, so far this wasn't terrible "Would you please lead the way? I will take your lead"

It had been often said, by those who would call themselves satirists, but were merely repeaters of tired truisms, that in High Society one never met ponies, but only false versions that they paraded about to shore up respectability, or hide vulnerabilities. In this, along with other things, Blueblood was at the head of his social Class, for apparently he'd been able to hide the very reason his cutie mark was a compass rose! There was no real reason for this, of course, other than habit, but he still couldn't help but lower his voice, as if he was imparting a secret, as he said to Rarity. "Oh yes, navigating seas of saltwater and society; it comes as a natural talent to me. I had thought of inviting you out on a short voyage, but I wasn't sure if you got sea-sick."

Quite the attempt at reconciliation that would have been; oh yes, auntie Celestia, I pulled out all the stops, and my date was retching over the guardrails all evening. No, that was a conversation he desired not to have if at all possible. Instead, here they were, turning heads, drawing admiring looks and whispers as the Prince led the mare down the Palace Strand, to the square where it met Park Lane. These were the two prettiest and highest-class streets in the city, and perhaps in all Equestria. The walkways were lined with greenery and gardens, through which could be seen fine old stone houses set back in them. All the habitations of the nobility; as sustaining gardens on a stone platform jutting out from a mountain was no cheap endeavor.

All this was fine, but that didn't change the fact that once Blueblood reached the end of the street, he would have no idea where to go next. He'd focused so much on making himself a better impression upon Rarity, that he'd dedicated almost no thought to his itinerary. *I'm going to make another fool of myself, unless I can think of something quick...* Moderating his pace to buy time, he ventured a question, "Of course, you've been to our fair city fairly often? On business, though, so I don't know if you've managed to see everything it has to offer..." If Rarity would just let him know something she'd like to do, he would leap, ma'am, leap into action! After all, he was a Prince; no doors could possibly be closed to him in this, his own city!

Archived