[Concluded] Path of the Ancient Crafter [Closed: Tacobob, Lux]

Ciraxis

Aquelia, home of the griffon race.

For centuries the proud species and ponies of Equestria maintained relationship. In the past, it was shaggy and rocky now both nations were friends....even if ponies and griffon's didn't completely understood each other.

Those of the hoofed hind who visited Aquelia were surprised how untamed their land was compared to Equestria. However there was a beauty in those wildness. And if a turist would have to choose which of the natural wonders of griffon realm would be first before the others, the most would point at the Windhowl Mountains which were a lot like a griffons themselves - strong, direct and demanding respect. Among them one was more beautiful, harsh and attention demanding then any other - Mount Everfrost. Griffons are however practical creatures, rarely would the pay heed to the beauty of the natural world, if there was no value besides it a thing beyond it, it would be best left alone.

Everfrost had such a value. For it was as much wonder for the eye it's true value was in the culture of the Aquelians.

While now, country of the sky soaring half cats was a republic, it wasn't always the case. Long ago griffons had their own line of kings.

And among most famous them was Godric Ravenspire the Crafter King. The wise and long lived ruler integrated himself heavily into his kin culture. It was him that grafted the love for the productive arts among his subjects, in turn making them metalworkers beyond equal. it was also him who begun a century and half period of isolation the preceded the the sad time of Pony-Griffin Wars.

The proud king spent much of his time in the rocky depths, perfecting the art of smithing eventually earning monikers like :Wonderhammer" or "Flightless" although the second it wasn't really the case. So productive was his reign the grateful griffons chose the most awe inspiring place for his tomb when he passed away - which happened to be of course the Mount Everfrost. Legends also say that King Godric had connection with it, that extended beyond simple resting place. That when he was still the prince he traveling the land to learn to be a better ruler, he traversed peak to conquer his vices without usage of his wings.

Wherever it was true or not, Everfrost was tamed.....griffon style. Thousand of stairs were added to aid travelers in the climb, but there is no one who keeps the free from ice. There are climbing studs, but you have to care for the rope yourself. And all who wish to honor the great ruler have to repeat his feat of conquering the summit with strength of their legs only, before the could witness the marble tomb of Ravespire.

Century ago ponies too became allowed to pay their respect for the Ancient King.

The Everfrost climb is not an easy task, but even in this day there are those who attempt it, wanting themselves to purge the vices plaguing them.

And this is where this story begins...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This was a crazy idea, not just for a pony but for a filly nonetheless. Snow Dancer stood out of the her tent in the base camp, looking up at the monstrous peak that she would soon be attempting to ascend. It wasn't the cold or snow that bothered her, for she always had an affinity for this weather. What made her worry were the other dangers like falling or avalanches. Still her parents encouraged her to try new things, so why not try and fly up a mountain? Admittedly they too were worried about her when she agreed to do this while on vacation in the griffon lands, but she was always a free spirit so with their permission and the comfort of having more experienced climbers they let Snow Dancer go.

"Hello mountain," Snow said as soft as the white stuff that fell around her, "Guess I'll be climbing you today."

"So again, tell me how I ended up taking you here, I'm really confused.", an female adult voice could be heard from one of the tents.

"Well, one of the things my flight class wanted me to do...", this voice was of a much younger speaker, who was also female and also in the tent.

"Wait a second. Your flying class wanted you to climb a mountain? Where's the flying in that? Were you in the wrong class that day?", the adult voice ventured from confusion to annoyance.

"No! They wanted us to do something brave while on our break. Something a heroic pony would do!", the younger voice exclaimed.

"Uh-uh.", the older voice was not convinced, "So while your little pony friends braved the 'Tooth Chipper' roller coaster at that park in Phillydelphia or stayed overnight at a house they thought might be haunted, but you had to climb yourself a mountain?"

"Yeah, I did the fake-haunted house thing like twice already, and 'Tooth Chipper'? More like boring-baby-ride!", the younger voice barked back.

"And your parents had me take you? Don't you have like three hundred siblings? Why couldn't Fire or Punk or whatever take you?", the older voice asked.

"Well, I'm supposed to go with someone who isn't a family member who can properly be a witness to my epic act of braveness. And daddy and mum trust you. And also Docket said no. And we couldn't find Dunder. And also Pocket Change is afraid of me. And Pressy is also very busy..ooop!", the younger voice stopped as the pony behind it was pushed out of the tent.

335gvm9.jpg

This little pony was a blue Pegasi filly dressed in proper winter clothes. She scrunched up her muzzle and glared back at the tent, "Hey! Why did you do that?"

A black griffon who was also decked out in proper winter clothes stuck out her head, "'Cause you need to go outside and play with whatever little ponies that are out here. And I need to check out this map and I don't need you bumping into me or my things. So shoo!"

The filly rolled up her eyes and cantered over to where she had heard somepony speaking..Speaking to a mountain? She smiled at the filly, who was an Pegasi like her and also blue.

"Hey there.", the filly smiled at the other girl, "I'm Wind Walker. You're not taking Miss Frizzlemane's class? I sort of wanted to be the only one who...", she was promptly cut off by the griffon, who stuck her head out of the tent, "And for the record, if we do get stuck in this mountain, I'm so going to eat you.", she promptly vanished back into the void.

"Eh-heh.", Wind Walker managed to eek out a nervous laugh as she rubbed the back of her head with a free hoof, "She's kidding of course."

"Hey there.", the filly smiled at the other girl, "I'm Wind Walker. You're not taking Miss Frizzlemane's class? I sort of wanted to be the only one who...

Snow Dancer turned to see another filly her age. It was a relief that there was somepony her age and a Pegasus made things even better.

"Oh, hello Wind Walker. I'm Snow Dancer. Um...Miss Frizzlemane? I don't know her. I'm actually here with my parents. They were a little worried having me do this, and I'm kind of nervous too. What if I get lost or hurt?"

"And for the record, if we do get stuck in this mountain, I'm so going to eat you.",

The light blue filly's eyes went wide hearing this. Despite knowing that the griffon was lying, Snow couldn't be too careful.

335gvm9.jpg

Oh good!”, the filly let out a sigh of relief. “Miss Frizzlemane' is my flying teacher. And yeah, I know how to fly pretty well, but she’s more into teaching the cool stuff. The aerial acrobatics kind of stuff, and while class is over for the next few months, she wanted us all to do something exciting, brave and different.”, she glanced around the camp as she spoke, “I already did the ‘haunted house’ thing, and we ended up finding out that there were no ghosts in the ‘Tenpenny Manor’, but instead it was just some old guy in a costume who was trying to scare ponies away so he could find the bits hidden in the basement.", the blue Pegasi took to the sky as she spoke, "I did the rollercoaster thing back in Phillydelphia, but the scariest thing was not the ride itself, but my friend Fast Track, who had a little accident while we went through the 'loop-de-loop' part.", she did a couple of loops before returning to the ground.

"And don't worry.",Wind Walker's smile slowly faded, "We're going to be in a big group, so as long as you stay with the group. You won't get lost. As for getting hurt, I took classes on the really basic stuff last year, and Zelda had to be certified in first aid before she could take her job in Canterlot, and I'm sure there will be other ponies that can do the same. So no worries!", she gave the filly a wink before quickly adding, "And Zelda won't eat anypony. She's like an aunt to me, and she works in the R.E.A making armor and weapons for the guards."

The griffon poked her head out of the tent once more, "I'm sorry kid. Wind's a blabbermouth.", before vanishing back into the folds.

"An grumpy aunt.", the filly corrected herself, "So, do your parents normally like to climb mountains?"

Snow Dancer's mind spun hearing all the thing Wind Walker did, things about haunted houses and roller coasters that she never experienced. It sounded all wonderful and perhaps a little frightening too. Still it was comforting to know that she wouldn't be alone or with only a few other.

"Oh well I'm glad that there are others going with us. It's not that I'm afraid of heights as I live in Cloudsdale and of course being a Pegasus. It's just I've never climbed a mountain before. I don't suppose that you did either, have you? And actually my parents haven't ever climbed mountains either, at least to my knowledge. Actually I just thought I could be here as the cold and snow doesn't bother me. It's actually my talent."

335gvm9.jpg

“A Pegasi that’s afraid of heights! That’s a good one!”, the little filly broke out into a quick chuckle, “T-that would be like an unicorn that was afraid of magic, or an earth pony that was afraid of, er, um. Earth?”, she glanced back at the tent, curious if the griffon was going to pop out and shoot out a snarky comment. She did not “Well, the whole idea is to do this without using our wings, but we can still use them in case of an emergency. And while we Pegasi ponies are usually pretty durable against the cold weather, my parents made me wear this suit cause they said it’s really really really cold at the top. It’s also good a keeping me from getting any bumps and bruises.”

She nodded her head as the filly spoke about her parents, “So, they’ve never done this before? Now I’m curious!”, she added, “Why are they all of a sudden wanting to go up a mountain? Was it a bet? Are they trying to find something, like sky pirate’s gold?”, she awaited, ever eagerly for the filly’s reply. It just HAD to be something exciting!

"That is a funny idea now that you mention it," Snow Dancer said with a giggle imagining a Pegasus like herself afraid of heights before listening to the purpose of the climb and how they were to do it, "Ok, so no wings unless an emergency. Ok, I guess that makes sense. Err... you don't happen to have another suit like that I can wear in your tent, do you? I like the cold but I'm not sure how cold it'll get at the top."

The filly looked strangely at the pony as she mentioned her parents going with Snow Dancer. Maybe she just heard it wrong.

"Oh no, my parents aren't here with me. They're touring the town where our hotel is. I actually asked if i could do this by myself. Funny, I think they thought I was just joking and going for a little walk rather than climbing a mountain as they laughed a little when i asked them."

335gvm9.jpg

"Actually! I do!", the little filly made her way back into her tent. A few seconds later, she returned with a small duffle bag, "Reading her map. More like napping.", she grumbled as she rolled the bag over to hew new friend, "My mom had me bring a backup suit incase this one got damaged. You just need to open the bag, and the suit will pop out. My whole family is in the R.E.A and they pack things like this to take up as little room as possible. Just not sure how I'll get it back into the bag once we're finished. If you need any help putting it on just ask."

(Assuming she puts it on..)

Wind Walker watched as the filly threw on the environment suit and tried her best to guide her throw the process, "Yeah, that leg goes there, just make sure to tie that drawstring or it will sort of ride up your, er area. Made that mistake when I was trying it on the other day. And yeah, that goes there, and you want to make sure the bottom fits across your stomach like so. And don't worry, it's supposed to be a little firm on the flank."

The blue Pegasus moved onto another subject, "And seriously? Your parents let you go alone? They sure trust the heck out of you. But I do agree with my folks. You should never go up alone..And I'm assuming we're all supposed to be going up as one team. Just wonder when this is gonna start?"

Snow Dancer watched as the filly ducked back into the tent only to appear minutes later with a new survival suit. Pulling the string that held the flap of the pack firmly in place the packed opened and a suit tumbled out on the ground.

"Thanks," Snow Dancer replied as she started getting dressed in it. It was harder than it looked as this suit was very form fitting to not allow much cool air get trapped inside it. Through trial and error and some instruction from Wind Walker Snow Dancer was now suited up and ready to go.

"And seriously? Your parents let you go alone? They sure trust the heck out of you. But I do agree with my folks. You should never go up alone..And I'm assuming we're all supposed to be going up as one team. Just wonder when this is gonna start?"

"Oh I was never planning to go up alone. All I had to do was find a team that could take me and that's when I found your group. And I hope we get going soon. It's not supposed to storm or anything today, is it?"

335gvm9.jpg

"Yeah, I'm assuming there's going to be more to our little group than the three of us.", Wind Walker added as she made sure the filly had properly buttoned all her buttons, tied all the straps in the proper order and zipped up all the zippers. "Not sure how much Zelda would be as a guide, unless she found a way to memorize the map by sleeping with her face in it. And weather? I'm sure they don't do these things during crazy weather. At least I hope not.", her eyes fell on the mountain for just a moment. While she had learned a good deal about wrapping up winter in Ponyville, and she could bust sneaky weather clouds with the best of them, she was still somewhat terrified of the grey and thunderous ones. And while she learned how to dust the snow from the tops of trees, the snow she would encounter up in the mountains would be a whole different kind of animal.

"So, when are we supposed to be going?"

There were lots of things that even Wind Walker, who appeared more used to adventures such as this, did not know. As the filly rattled off the list of poor weather and a dubious guide, Snow began to wonder if this was a good idea for her to do this. But a quick tug on a strap by her fellow Pegasus made her realize that there was no going back now. At any rate she didn't want to be seen as a pony who would chicken out at such a momentous occasion.

"Well I hope things do go well for us with this climb and I hope others join too. As for when we go, I thought you would know."

• 2 weeks later...

Just as the Snow said this words, the violent, cold winds that eveloped the peaks seemed to die down. One would say that...perhaps Everfrost was....inviting the trio?

If that was the case, the mountain said nothing about it, silent and proud as it always been a quite sentinel and witness of centuriess passing.

Even then climbing it wouuld be not an easy task, and even griffons knew that building the shelters at the end of each 'stage' of Everfrost.

The first one was at the mountain base itself - with coils of durable rope, ice axes and even climbing boots for ponies sicne the didn't possesed sharp talons to hold on the frozen rocks.

With all said and done, it was perfect time to challange the mountain. If they were daring enough for the task that is.

335gvm9.jpg

“Ah. There we go.”, the little filly’s smile was so bright, there was a good chance she could melt the snow with it. “Just needed to wait for the perfect time and here we go...Gimme a sec.”, she stuck her head into the tent, “Hey Sleepy-head! it’s time! Stop a’snoring and let’s get a’...ouch!”, Wind Walker removed herself from the tent and made her way back to Snow Dancer. “That silly griffon threw her glove at me. Said I interrupted her dream. Something about a Big Mac and maybe cheese.”

Zelda appeared behind the two ponies, “Sorry. Had lots of studying to do.”, she was in the process of folding her map, or at least she was about to crumble it into a little ball. Thankfully Wind kept her from doing that. “You need to fold it from top to bottom, making sure to follow the crease in the center.”. The knowledgeable little pony instructed, this did not impress the older female, “Yeah-yeah, if you’re such an expert, you fold the map!”, she tossed the map at the filly, who somehow managed to fold it properly.

“Show off.”, she grumbled as she turned her attention to the less annoying of the fillies. “Right! Were’ supposed to head over to the first ‘stage’ of this thing. They had a supply hut for those who forgot to bring their own supplies. Being a blacksmith, I actually made my own tools for climbing, even made a set for the squirt.”, she threw a pack onto the little Pegasi just as she finished up with the map.

While Zelda pondered just how the pony was able to do such a thing with her hooves, the griffon just shook it off. “We better get down there before our group leaves with out us!”

After strapping her own pack on, the two quickly made their way towards the first of the stages..."Come on Snow.", the filly was terrified of the thought of climbing the mountain without any ponies her age to keep her company.

Snow happened to glance up at the mountain as the winds died down and the clouds parted to expose the peak. It was an amazing sight, like the mountain welcomed the climbers to attempt the summit. Still Snow Dancer didn't think it would be completely easy as there was still a tall mountain to climb. In listening to their guide Zelda, Snow realized how ill equipped she was having now survival suit and not even ample climbing gear save for a simple ice pick. She guessed that the group she was with would have it, but thankfully there was a place to grab the gear as they went up.

"Alright," she said to Zelda and Wind Walker, "Let's go!"

The filly trotted with her pack on, looking back for a moment at the base camp. It wasn't home like Cloudsdale was, but it was at least nice. Snow however hoped that she would see it again.

"You said that there are stages to climbing this mountain. How many of them are there?"

• 2 weeks later...

The first stage wasn't leading high up - only 450 meters were between the base of the Everfrost and first resting camp....or rather would be if the bold trio could travel in straight line.
Problem was, it wasn't an option. The path, while not steep was sinuous like a dizzy snake. Numerous twists and sharp turns - path lead the at one time west, at other east, up and sometimes even down! Very frustrating.
However trying to make a shortcut wasn't an option. Whatever space wasn't taken up by the tricky mountain path, was occupied by something that sompony with tame character could describe as nature over-sized answer to caltrops.

And that would be understatement. Jagged spikes and blades of both rock and ice was sprouting everywhere. Ray's of sun danced on the sharp icy edges, giving them appearance of a weaponry abandoned after some monumental battle. The rocky ones weren't dull either, the quartz spikes barring passage for anyone - pony, griffon or any other creature in between - foolish enough to wander here. It was unknown how this awe inspiring natural fortifications were formed. Maybe it was simply natural phenomenon? Or some unicorn sorcery was involved. Whatever was the case no one among the living held an answer. How King Ravenspire made his way through those razor field at the times when there was no safe path was any-pony guess.

Yet as uninviting those sharp spikes and edges looked they also helped in the way. Many of the were so large that the formed a roof of sorts over the traveler's heads, and those at the sides, packed thick enough to shelter the climbers form Everfrost's howling winds.

14j6bth.jpg

The black furred griffon read through her guidebook, "Not counting the first one, there are five of these stages." The trio made their way into the beginning stage, which was considered to be 'Stage Zero'. The fist base supplied them with whatever they needed to bring for the climb that they did not already have. Zelda was a bit disheartened to hear that they would be the only people going up the mountain at the moment. No other ponies or griffons, and not even a professional guide to tag along. While Wind Walker was considered family to the blacksmith, she was a little worried about the filly Snow Dancer.

"Hey kid, I just want you to know that once we start the climb, I'm going to have to be responsible for you.", compared to her family, it seemed that pony parents tended to be far more trusting of their children. When she was just a kitten around Wind and Snow's age, it seemed Zelda couldn't cross the street without at least half her family holding her hands. To think, they were willing to let their own daughter climb the mountain by herself gave her the shivers. "And if anything happens, you two both have wings, so don't be afraid to use them. So, I just want to make sure you're willing to do this...Cause we won't be going back unless there's an emergency, and I don't mean a potty break either, so make sure you go before we go...And if you get a little tired, there are certain rules you need to follow in the higher areas so you don't freeze...And I'm not gonna shlep you around..I could..But that would defeat the purposes of you climbing this thing.", she glanced up and sighed.

"So you okay with this kid?", she asked Snow. While waiting for an answer, she glanced through the guidebook. What was the safest path?

Wind Walker was deathly silent as she got ready for the climb.

With a little effort, Snow Dancer followed the other two members of the group through the snow, getting ever closer to the next stage. She found that thinking about climbing the entire mountain was too daunting for her mind to comprehend. Instead she broke up the task into steps, using however many staging areas as markers to gauge her progress. Admittedly she felt a little like a fish out of water as both Zelda and Wind Walker were more seasoned that she was. It was no surprise that her climbing friends were also worried about her. The griffon, who had largely been an enigma to her, spoke to her about the dangers of climbing. For a moment the filly contemplated the warmth and safety of her hotel room, or even of the base camp tent. Then she gave her answer.

"i know that I'm not the best climber like you two are but I can't back out now, not when I committed myself to this. It may take more time to get the hang of things but I will reach the top."

• 2 weeks later...

335gvm9.jpg

"Like you two?", both the griffon and filly replied back.

"We haven't really climbed a mountain either.", Wind Walker nervously chuckled as she spoke, "I did go up a hill once. And there were all those fake mountains in 'Whinnyland', but those were rides, thankfully we have some help.", she pulled out a small guidebook from one her pockets. The cover read, 'Mountaineering 101: All You Ever Wanted to Know About Climbing Mountains But Were Afraid to Ask'. The little Pegasi hoofed through a few pages, "Did that. Got the gear. Trained? Um. Skipped that. Never go alone. Never leave anything but hoof-prints. Never leave the path..Yeah. Yeah. Blah blah."

She glanced down at her new horse-shoes, "Nice solid grippy boots on the back. Check", she glanced at her front, "Claws in the front for gripping. Check", and she also waved a small pick-ax, "Dangerous cutting tool. Check! We also have supplies and an emergency first-aid kit, so we're ready!", she did a short little 'ready-dance'.

Zelda glanced towards a sign, "Well, there's the first part of the climb, so when you two squirts are ready, let's go!"

Snow Dancer learned many lessons from her parents, one of them was to never assume. She assumed hearing from the pair that they were seasoned adventurers and climbers. But to her surprise they too were new to this adventure, basing their training off of a book they carried. It made her feel good that she was in the same boat as the were but she still felt bad about the assumption.

"Sorry you two. I thought you were used to climbing mountains and things. Guess then we're all new to this and in this together."

She approached the climbing shack before the ascent and collected a few items that she saw with climbing partners' possessions like an ice axe, clawed shoes in front and gripped boots on the back.

"Ok, I think I'm ready to go. Let's climb this mountain!"

While the trio was climbing higher and higher through jagged, thorn like formation the first snowflakes started to fall. While luckily there wasn't any wind it was clear it will only get heavier in time.

Through the icy spikes the first shelter was seen. - embed into mountain side it was built to last the worst blizzards and hold off even nasties avalanches.

And yet way to it wasn't easy. This was the part when Stage 1 really sinuous and as such provided three girls with later diabolical dilemma.

It was clear that sticking with the road was safer path, but a longer one and it was no doubt that they were have to deal with piling up snow if the don't hurry.

On the other hoof...or claw, taking a shortcut by choosing the straight line was definitely faster way. However by going with it, there was also a risk of cutting themselves and their gear on nasty rock and ice formations.

What path would the trio choose? The one of the hardiness or rather the caution?

Z9byKDy.png?1

Once Wind Walker got beyond the fact that she was experiencing something new and exciting, it started to feel less like an adventure and more like actual work. “Geez, maybe I should have picked ‘read an exciting book’ for my task.”, the little filly grunted as she slowly made her way up the mountain. “If I remember, if the weather is just about right, there should be a little short-cut just around the bend here.”, the griffon added, ignoring the filly’s whining. “There we go.”, she waved a free hand towards the opening. “But it doesn’t look too safe with those icicles hanging down. One wrong move and you’ll get yourself into sticky situation.”

“What do you think kid?”, Zelda asked Snow Dancer, “You think you we should stick to the given path, or should we try to brave the crazy one?”, the griffon asked, almost quizzingly.

As the filly made her ascent with the other climbers, now feeling more apt to conquer the mountain with the proper climbing gear, she noticed how strange the terrain looked. Snow was one thing as the filly felt well apt to deal with that. But then she noticed the jagged rocks and icicles that almost as big as she was! These could be dangerous if not handled properly and were prone to falling at a moment's notice. Looking to her guides, they appeared just as puzzled as to which way to go.

"I don't know about those icicles. They look like they can fall at any time! If we do go through there we'd have to not touch any of those."

• 2 weeks later...

335gvm9.jpg

“Well Wind, your parents won’t let you pierce your ears, so I’m guessing they would not approve of you getting your entire body pierced.”, the griffon uttered as they studied the assortment of icicles and pointy rocks. “Let’s go the other way. It might be a little less exiting and might add extra time to our trip, but remember, we’re doing this for fun..”, Zelda added as she glanced at the two fillies, "So follow me and keep your eyes peeled for any other dangers we might stumble into."

Wind Walker glanced over at Snow Dancer, shrugged her shoulders and continued their climb.

(OOC: Looks like they're taking the 'easy path' for now.)

Climbing a mountain meant knowing where that was safe and places that could be dangerous or even deadly to ponies who tried to cross. Snow Dancer looked at the possibilities but couldn't tell what was best for herself or her friends and fellow climbing partners. Luckily Zelda provided the deciding vote.

"Ok, easy path it is," Snow Dancer said seeing that Wind was in agreement.

The path wasn't very easy with its narrow winding trail, icy patches, and deep snow to trudge though. But it was also beautiful as the filly ascended, seeing the town laid out below. Not watching where was going the filly took a step and immediately felt the snow give out below her!

Fwomp!

The filly found herself in a hole deeper than her being able to climb out, but lucky for her she used her wings to float out.

"Be careful, there are places in the snow that can give way if you step on them. I kind of found one of these on accident."

Archived