[Concluded] Path of the Ancient Crafter [Closed: Tacobob, Lux]

Ciraxis

yOm1ISr.png?1

Zelda really did hate that they would be losing their tour guide. The wise griffon would be able to say 'famous Everfrost phenomenon, the Rime Forest', while the blacksmith would just point out things that looked frozen or cold. Hardly educational.  She also hoped he got his feathers moving and would return to the camp right away. She'd hate to see a frozen bird-circle standing in the same place on their return trip. "Hey kids, we're going back to guessing at stuff. Thankfully there's still a good path ahead of us.", she added as she took a moment to admire the natural and very cold beauty of the mountain. She also was rather happy that their climbing suits had worked out so well, or they'd probably look as cold as the Rime.

Zqnm9cr.png?1

Wind Walker smiled back at the filly, "This place is probably too cold for a cave troll anyways. Of course, there's always ice giants.", Wind was not helping! At least not in the 'keep Snow Dancer sane' area. She did have one useful thing in her pack, "Hey Zelda! Almost forgot about this!", she pulled out a small book with a metal jacket. "I do have this guide book.  It's a little old, but I'm sure it can be useful.", she grinned back at the pair.

Once they got to fully experience the frozen wonders of the 'Rime'. Zelda continued their trek, making sure both fillies followed along...

OOC for Ciraxis: If you have something that would be of interest, PM me with the information, and Wind will read it out of her book. Please note, her book could be a little outdated, so it's not going to be perfect all the time.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Snow Dancer felt a little off leaving Regulus behind. Part of it was that she missed the griffon, but partly he was so helpful in getting them this far and offering his hospitality.

"Hey kids, we're going back to guessing at stuff. Thankfully there's still a good path ahead of us."

"Yeah, although I wonder why the path looks like it's still maintained. Maybe so many ponies or griffons climbed this that the path is still clear."

"This place is probably too cold for a cave troll anyways. Of course, there's always ice giants."

"Ice Giants?" Snow said a little nervous but more intrigued. What does an ice giant look like, a really, really, really, big pony?

Snow made her way through the icy forest as the crystals made a haunting chime in the wind. To the Pegasus it was like the trees were welcoming the group to the last of their climb.

"I do have this guide book.  It's a little old, but I'm sure it can be useful.",

"Cool! Maybe it will tell us more about this place, including that..." Snow said pointing towards something in the distance that was hard to make out but looked out of place. Were those stairs on a mountain?

• 3 weeks later...
oedrVXf.png?1

“They’re just like ice trolls, but bigger, meaner and like to go outside.”, the filly added before she caught an dirty look from the griffon. “What?”, she acted rather innocent, “Just telling her about the cool stuff I read about the mountains. I’m sure most of it...erm. some of it’s real?”, she gave the big bird a grin before she turned her attention to Snow Dancer’s mountain stairs. “Those could have been carved, but it could just natural. The tops of the mountains being slowly eroding, but doing so in an angel, as it almost looks like stairs, but it could have been carved.”

The blue filly glanced down at her book for a moment, “Not sure what this has to do with the mountain.”, she muttered, “There’s a bit on griffon kings and Griffonstone...", Wind cringed a little as the last word left her mouth. She knew Zelda HATED the old city. And almost on cue, the oldest member of the trio let out a groan.

yOm1ISr.png?1

"Kid, don't talk about that place.", she quickly realized that their new friend might not know what they were talking about. "The old city of griffons. Used to be great, now it's an ruin of a ruin.", the blacksmith shook her head. "Place used to be as lovely as Canterlot, but after some Macguffin got snatched, the place fell into ruin quicker than an plate of sushi on a hot summer's day. And not only do you get an place full of broken statues and barely suitable to live in buildings, the griffons there are basically an walking and breathing list of griffon stereotypes. Kids, I hope neither of you have to go there as there's far better cities to visit.", she glance up towards the path, "Let's keep moving."

• 2 weeks later...

Finally after another bit trekking there were here. They trodded down the road of snow and ice, as it gave the way to the stair carved in stone - which despite the rough weather remained mostly unfrozen. Towering before the girls was a massive marble tomb of the griffon king. Covered with rime, stone visage of the King Ravespire gazed at them while he himself rested his talons on the massive hammer. While it was just a replication carved in rock, Zelda could tell exacly what kind of hammer it was depicting. One part weapon, one part work of art, and one part tool of her own trade. Every blacksmith worth their two bit's would recognize it on sight - the one and only Foreblaze. The fact that the king shown with it came as no surprise, after all he was know as the Crafter King. Benath the statue itself was a metal plaquete with writings. The writing itself was covered with thick ice, as if none visited the tomb for years, yet the inscription was clearly readible. However all of it was in Aquelian.

"Here lies King Gideon Ravenspire of Griffonstone. Long was his reign, many succesors, and merits for his people inesimable. May he peacfully sleep, gazing into better tommorow."

Meanwhile, while the girls where marveling at the elaborate reliefs adorning the tomb, and awe inspiring statue before it, the familiar silvery fog started to build up behind them. The very same kind that two filies saw in their lats camp. But this time a voice came from the mist itself.

"King Ravenspire rest's here indeed. But he's not in peace, for he saw exacly what happened to his kingdom." said the male voice, with a hint of sadness in his words.

Spoiler

I alllowed myself to cut and paste major part of a previous post nad paste it here with some additions, as it much more fitting here.

Snow Dancer shuddered at hearing Wind Walker continue talking about the Ice Giants. her friend though piped down as Zelda glared at her. She did add that they may be real, not that they were. The topic thankfully shifted back to the strange structures on the summit and Wind mentioning a place that Snow never heard about but from its name knew it was probably another griffon place. Zelda was not amused bringing that place up.

"Kid, don't talk about that place.", she quickly realized that their new friend might not know what they were talking about. "The old city of griffons. Used to be great, now it's an ruin of a ruin.", the blacksmith shook her head. "Place used to be as lovely as Canterlot, but after some Macguffin got snatched, the place fell into ruin quicker than an plate of sushi on a hot summer's day. And not only do you get an place full of broken statues and barely suitable to live in buildings, the griffons there are basically an walking and breathing list of griffon stereotypes. Kids, I hope neither of you have to go there as there's far better cities to visit."

"You're right, it does sound like a place I wouldn't visit. It's sad to hear that it once was nice but now not so much. Did you grow up there, Zelda?"

The trio made their way to the summit where there lay a tomb with a strange looking hammer on it. Snow considered touching it but thought against it. After all, whoever was buried here probably asked before dying to have it there. She couldn't read the plaque on the tomb but assumed it was the fabled griffon king's final resting place. Before she could say something, she saw the mist and heard a voice.

"King Ravenspire rest's here indeed. But he's not in peace, for he saw exacly what happened to his kingdom."

"Wait, was King Ravenspire the king of Griffonstone?"

EJhBYU5.png?1

The normally calm and collective griffon's beak nearly hit the ground as the threesome ran into a very impressive sight. "Great shpadoinkles!", Zelda managed to quickly find an old griffon curse word that would not get her into trouble. "Why in the world is this not advertised? It's the erm.", another kid-friendly curse word needed to be used. "Blankety-blank Crafter King! He's buried here!" She glanced over at Wind Walker who shrugged her shoulders. "It's in your book. And for the love of me, I knew something was here, but not like this!"

oedrVXf.png?1

Wind Walker hooved through a few pages of her book. "Oh right.", the filly cleared her throat before adding, "King Gideon Ravenspire "The Crafter King" son of Gerard Ravenspire III "The Old". The most famous king in Ravenspire dynasty - aside from it's founder King Grover - became politically active in quite a young age. Because Gideon hatched when his father was already an old bird, young prince soon found himself more duties then other heirs of the Griffonstone throne. ", she closed her book, "So that probably answers your question Snow Dancer."

The griffon translated the plaque for the two fillies, "Wow, that's kind of sad. And no.", she turned to Snow Dancer. "I was born in Rockwington, and spent my later school years in Canterlot. Both high school and college. That's how I met Windy's sister. I could barely handle a day in Griffonstone, let alone an lifetime."

The blacksmith overheard the stranger's words. Did some other hiker catch up with them? She still replied back, "Eh, King Ravenspire would know kingdoms rise and fall. I believe he would be proud of his people. We left that old hole and started new cities, bigger and better cities and we grew strong as a people. Our bonds with our allies, like the ponies of Equestria grew strong as well, and we all became better for it.", curious to see who spoke, Zelda glanced back to see......Nothing? "Kids, did you just see someone? Someone who just spoke?" The big bird finally noticed the extra creepy mist as it rolled in.

• 4 weeks later...
On 20.05.2016 at 3:50 PM, Lux said:

"Wait, was King Ravenspire the king of Griffonstone?"

"Indeed he was." said the voice form the fog "Although Griffonstone that he ruled, and Griffonstone that is now are nothing alike. What remains of it now is less then the shadow, a specter of it's former glory. All of this a result of shorsighness of one bird." the mysterious someone sounded incredibly sad while giving this remark.

On 22.05.2016 at 8:40 AM, tacobob said:

The blacksmith overheard the stranger's words. Did some other hiker catch up with them? She still replied back, "Eh, King Ravenspire would know kingdoms rise and fall. I believe he would be proud of his people."

"Of his people Ravenspire is indeed proud. Of the fate of his kingdom he is not. It's true all things come to an end. But not like this, not like......this."

The mist that now surrounded the girls grow thicker and thicker. Now they couldn't see farther then few meters away. But suddenly the trio could see a silhouette coming from the silver haze. Despite how unclear was now the view, the approaching figure stood out in unnatural way. After the few moments they could see that this figure was....Regulus?!

"I see you reached the summit. Well done. You know...I have to apologize for my earlier words. See, I wasn't honest with all of you when I said that this place gets frequent visitors. The truth is, you are the first to climb all the way to the tomb in last three decades. And even before that this place was more often then not undisturbed. For many centuries I must add." the old griffon explained. Something also seemed different about him. While his visage was the very much the same gone was the slowness of his movement caused by age and rheumatism. Instead he walked slow but clearly healthy gait, with his movements giving both lofty and melancholic vibe.

"I am sure you have many questions. Go on, I have much time. Perhaps too much, for too many, many years." he said while he rested one of his talons on stone hammer of the statue. There was something otherworldly in the elder griffin as he gazed at two fillies and griffoness.

If they would have idea to look around, the girls could notice that with Regulus arrival, the silver fog seemed to gradually disperse, and the air itself seemed to get warmer. And was that...a smell of the coal smoke?

"Thanks Wind," Snow Dancer said, "So her was an heir to the throne? Must have been hard ruling a country after just being born." 

"I was born in Rockwington, and spent my later school years in Canterlot. Both high school and college. That's how I met Windy's sister. I could barely handle a day in Griffonstone, let alone an lifetime.  Eh, King Ravenspire would know kingdoms rise and fall. I believe he would be proud of his people. We left that old hole and started new cities, bigger and better cities and we grew strong as a people. Our bonds with our allies, like the ponies of Equestria grew strong as well, and we all became better for it."

"Oh, well I'm glad to see that things turned out well. You're living proof of that, aren't you Zelda? As you said, you weren't born in Griffonstone but a better griffon place. So if it wasn't for this king you wouldn't have eventually been born in this new place or met ponies like Wind and I."

"Indeed he was." said the voice form the fog "Although Griffonstone that he ruled, and Griffonstone that is now are nothing alike. What remains of it now is less then the shadow, a specter of it's former glory. All of this a result of shorsighness of one bird.  Of his people Ravenspire is indeed proud. Of the fate of his kingdom he is not. It's true all things come to an end. But not like this, not like......this."

Snow Dancer wasn't frightened by the ghostly voice in the mist. Instead she was sad by the fate of Griffonstone and its griffons. She could only imagine watching her hometown of Cloudsdale fall like Griffonstone did. But as the mist thickened, Snow could see a Griffon standing there. It was... Regulus? 

"I see you reached the summit. Well done. You know...I have to apologize for my earlier words. See, I wasn't honest with all of you when I said that this place gets frequent visitors. The truth is, you are the first to climb all the way to the tomb in last three decades. And even before that this place was more often the not  empty. For many centuries I must add.  I am sure you have many questions. Go on, I have much time. Perhaps too much, for too many, many years."

"Are... are you King Ravenspire, the Crafter King?" Snow Dancer said as her mind was filled with questions but that was the biggest one. 

oedrVXf.png?1

“Well...”, the filly ran her hoof through the book, “His father was still alive when he was born, so he wasn’t king right away.” The little filly could not help but smile as she pictured a cute little be-crowned baby griffon as he sat upon a kingly throne.  Squawking out royal decrees in cute little baby talk. And then all would hail their beloved ‘King Baby!’ Somepony should write a book about a king baby. Wind Walker would be first in line to get a copy!*

Silly thoughts aside, there was something going on! Creepy smoke! An ominous voice! This was Nightmare Night allover again! At least the one that happened around four years ago when her father spooked Wind's friends silly during a sleepover. It was all good and fun, except for the bit with the very expensive antique rug being ruined. However, they were not in standing in their comfortable living room in Canterlot with a fireplace burning nearby, Wind and the others were standing on a rather large imposing snow covered mountain covered with dragon corpses. Why did she think this was a good idea?

"And even when you're king, they usually have a whole team of royal advisors to help you out. Even Princess Celestia has smart ponies helping her o-ut." as the creepy mist grew thicker, the frizzled filly could only croak out the last few words.

Zelda was now slightly worried what they had gotten themselves into. "Guys, stick close to me." She shielded the two ponies with her body. If there was something nasty or spooky that would find its way out of the mist, it would have to deal with her first! She did relax at bit when they saw it was Regulus that had been speaking all along. Was he playing some sort of joke on them? While she considered herself a bit of a skeptic, there was something very odd about their new friend.

On 6/25/2016 at 0:52 PM, Lux said:

"Are... are you King Ravenspire, the Crafter King?" Snow Dancer said as her mind was filled with questions but that was the biggest one. 

If he was the King, would he have to be a ghost? Princess Celestia and her sister had lived for thousands of years. Maybe the good king just aged very slowly? People in high power tend to be befriend others with great magic power. Who knows? Maybe an unicorn granted him a long life?

Both Wind and Zelda decided to let the old griffon answer Snow's question...

Spoiler

OOC: Good news Wind. Somebody is doing a book! http://www.harkavagrant.com/ Kate Beaton is best pony.

• 1 month later...
On 25.06.2016 at 6:52 PM, Lux said:

"Such smart girls." mused the old griffon with a smile. "You are correct. Now I am old, but when I was young.....when I was young....."

Suddenly Regulus lifted off the ground. Without assistance of wings at that. He grown in size, wrinkles started to disappear and muscles seemed to swell with old strength. White fur and feathers regained color while also becoming  transparent and royal garb appeared on him.

".....when I was young. I was the King." said ghostly visage of King Ravenspire, now towering above the three girls and the summit itself.

"Be not afraid. You have been tested, and in fact you passed with flying colors. I was going to teach you a lesson but instead, it is you who have taught me. " spectral king explained with a gentle smile.

"Long ago when I was only preparing to take a throne, I embarked to a journey, to prepare myself, to become the best ruler for my people. I conquered my doubts, my fears, my anger... I cast them all away. But I held on to one vice. PRIDE." Ravenspire waved his tale, not bothering to hide a self-disgust.

"In my pride I thought that we, griffons didn't needed rest of the world, that we could solve our own problems. In my life, consequences of this foolish attitude didn't come. But later indifference turned into arrogance, arrogance turned into contempt, and contempt itself led into disaster. While it's true that griffon legacy got passed on by different ways, the seeds of this pride runs deep."

Ancient ruler paused before refocusing his attention on three ladies before him.

"But let's set this issue aside for a moment. Each of you showed purity in intention, character and spirit during this climb, and shall be rewarded accordingly."

At Zelda's order, Snow Dancer got behind the black griffoness, but not enough to hide from the ghostly image. There was something about the king, or at least she thought was the king, that made her feel comfortable. Sure the ghost was creepy and she wasn't sure what she'd think of next. 

".....when I was young. I was the King." 

Snow Dancer froze as the former image of Regulus morphed into the towering form of the King. The king was not upset for the trio of adventurers entering his tomb, but in fact was impressed? Snow Dancer didn't know why. All she did was stay alive and make a friend and learn about a griffon king. 

"But let's set this issue aside for a moment. Each of you showed purity in intention, character and spirit during this climb, and shall be rewarded accordingly."

"R...really? You're going to reward us just for learning about you and visiting your tomb?" 

Both the griffon and little pony gasped together as the elderly bird transformed into an much younger griffon. Or did he just turn into a ghost? Wind Walker glanced over at the blacksmith with a look of utter confusion on her face. Zelda could only shrug. Whatever was happening, it would probably be for the best if they did not share this with others, or they’d probably think the three were crazy. There was always the chance they were simply hallucinating due to the thin mountain air. Whatever it was, they got to climb a mountain and see all sorts of interesting sights. Hopefully the skilled weapon-smith would be able to make a sword similar to the one they found earlier.

Wind’s ears perked up as the king spoke of his past, and even more so when he spoke of an reward! This almost sounded like a book she had read in the past. Heroes wander a strange world. Get gift near end. They did not even have to defeat an old witch to get it. The little pony wondered what sort of gift they would get? A T-Shirt? One that said ‘I Climbed Mount Everfrost And Met The King, And All I Got Was This T-Shirt'? Faboo.

The little blue filly glanced over at Snow Dancer before turning her attention back to the king. What sort of gift would they get?

• 2 weeks later...
On 16.08.2016 at 3:41 PM, Lux said:

"R...really? You're going to reward us just for learning about you and visiting your tomb?" 

"Not only smart. but humble in their innocence too. No, not because of that, but for the fact that you did what I myself could not." king explained

"When we met, I expected that young girls like you three would balk at the task of carrying an old bird up a mountain. Most would be too proud. And yet you surprised me." Ravespire paused to grace the trio with a smile.

"Pride. It is the most insidious of vices. It is good until it is bad. And then it is more dangerous than all the others combined.

Beware of Pride! Be humble! The world is changing after a long stagnation, and it's up to it's inhabitants that the change will be for the better. Old enemies must work together. Proud races must admit they need help. Things may get worse before they get better, but you must never let go of hope. Only by working together can we drive off the darkness."

After giving this warning ancient spirit gave fell silent once more, his gaze shifting from each girl to another.

"The world may already have it's great heroes....but even the mightiest may need a help. And maybe one day they will need you."

"First, little Dancer, pure as her namesake. I have something for you, that I am sure you would make a best of use."

Gideon clenched his giant, spectral talon into fist, before extending it and putting it just before filly face. When he opened it, something was resting on his open palm. A small key, hung on thin silver chain. The key itself was brighter  then the whites ivory, with small wing extending from it's bow. The wings appeared to be at first glance made from blue ice, but the item wasn't cold. Opposite, it seemed to radiate a warm, silvery glow.

"Take this key Snow Dancer, and feel free to name it. When used in the selfless cause, it will open all the locks you pit it against, without exception - magical or not. Also know that no one else can use it but you - at last not without your permission. And as you will use it more I am sure you will learn to help others open up with it as well."

King Gideon smiled at Snow Dancer before patting her on the head, just like his 'Regulus' self would do. His gaze then shifted to Wind Walker.

"Now, you Wind Walker. The winds are in your name and winds are in your heart. As such you will be gifted accordingly."

Ravenspire clenched his other talon, doing the very same thing he did with Snow and opening his fist under Wind's excited gaze, revealing a silver ring with a gem that appeared to have a real storm trapped inside!

"Here it is Wind, a 'Ring of Storms'. Or Bracelet if you wish." before girls eyes ring grew just to just the right size to be worn on filly leg, before shrinking back to it;s previous size. A flash of lightning could be briefly seem on the gem's surface.

"You have a dream Wind, and what's more the will to achieve it. But not everyone has such energetic spirit giving up either before reaching it, or getting lost and losing their purpose after. With this, you passion will never run out and what's important out will be able to flare up the storm in their hearts once more. Know as well Wind that as long as you will wear it, even the fastest of hurricanes, the most violent of cyclones will be you friend, and you will receive no harm form them."

With those words ghostly king focus shifted to oldest of the three.

"And finally Zelda. Ahhh it's been long, way too long since one of my craft set her paw, talon or hoof here. Much less of my own kind. For you, I have something very important to pass on..."

Snow Dancer alternated his gaze between the ghostly Griffon King, Wind Walker, and Zelda. None of her two traveling companions could help her or even say anything to the king, leaving the Pegasus filly waiting to see what would happen next. She soon learned that there was indeed much more than just learning about the Griffon King. 

"Not only smart. but humble in their innocence too. No, not because of that, but for the fact that you did what I myself could not.  When we met, I expected that young girls like you three would balk at the task of carrying an old bird up a mountain. Most would be too proud. And yet you surprised me."

"Well, of course I'd help somepony or griffon. I mean, so many ponies helped me inn my life, I feel it's only right that I try to help others."

"First, little Dancer, pure as her namesake. I have something for you, that I am sure you would make a best of use.  Take this key Snow Dancer, and feel free to name it. When used in the selfless cause, it will open all the locks you pit it against, without exception - magical or not. Also know that no one else can use it but you - at last without your permission. And as you will use it more I am sure you will learn to help others open with it as well."

Snow Dancer looked at the key that could open every lock. To her it was as if it was meant for her crafted by a king with a great heart. 

"Oh thank you! I promise I'll use it to help others and I won't lose it." 

oedrVXf.png?1

At first Wind Walker was a little confused on what exactly she could do with a ring. Those were something meant for griffons, but then it did something rather magical by changing its size! This would be rather useful as she got older as well. Did the wise former king know that she gained her cutie mark after nearly being smashed to bits by a tornado? This bracelet was something that would take a good deal of bravery on her part if she ever wanted to try it out. She will still never sure if the tornado had been created by her own Pegasus magic. She had been trying to get to Ponyville has quickly as she could, so it could have happened.

"Thanks..", she took the bracelet and placed in her pouch. "When we get back to camp, I'll try it on. Can't do it now since I'm wearing one of Zelda's suits." While she still felt rather odd wearing the bulky thing, it was far better to look odd than to freeze her feathers off. She was curious about Snow Dancer's key. She was good pony now, but what would happen if she took up the life of crime when she got older? She'd probably be the greatest thief in all of Equestria with that on her side. Still, the king probably would not have given her such a thing if this were the case.

EJhBYU5.png?1

The griffon glanced at the former king as he announced her gift. While her kind tended to be a bit on the greedy side, she wasn't the type that really was into 'things'. She enjoyed making her art for her clients, but usually used the bits she earned to purchase even more crafting materials for her next projects. Zelda wanted to simply say she did not need anything, but that probably would have insulted the old spirit. She also felt a little bad for not trusting him when they first met. Neither Wind or Snow were her kids, so she was extra protective over them, and was a little weary about entering a dark cave with someone they just met. If she only knew who she was dealing with at the time.

The black bird waited to hear what she was getting....

• 2 weeks later...

Instead of speaking something more, King Ravenspire paused for a moment. His gaze was now aiming towards the east, across the mountains, Great Pinto and into pony lands.

"....in strange time you live young smith. Old stories return, beings and phenomenons that weren't seen for ages. But legends Zelda...legends can take different form." he started while pointing at items he has gifted two fillies with.

"Sometimes possessions of heroes that become the legends, start to be legends of their own. This ring for example, it belonged to the very hero that slain the wyrm who's remains you could see during your climb. The key is the opposite, it's tale will be forged during Snow's lifetime, and I am sure it would be glorious tale indeed." Gideon continued, still not very clear what he was getting about.

"When I passed away, my hammer was buried with me. It's an powerful artifact in it's own right, and with it I was able to create many items of fables, and breathe life anew in as many." ancient spirit paused. "Such relict should not lay useless in grasp of the past."

With those words 'Regulus' rose both of his talons up, and the the whole summit shook.

"Young Zelda, you are worthy! And thus you will receive what you do deserve, both by craft...and by blood!" he announced. The stone under the feet of the statue that represented the king started to crack, and through the fissures magical glow started to seep out.

And then in one second, the stone exploded making the hole in the ground, but not one pebble hit the girls. Instead a msassive shape shoot into the sky in the column of ruby and golden light. In the clear mountain air it shined like a jewel, before slowly gliding downwards at the commanding gesture of griffon king who then grasped it by the by metallic handle. One part crafting tool, one part weapon, and work of art as a whole - positively enormous in size.

"You know already what this is. Behold, Forebalze, my own hammer thanks to which many famous items were created or restored to their former glory - one that I now bestow to you Zelda. It was created thanks to ancient magic, and it blazing power came from heart of a mountain you now know as Mt. Fire Foal, snatched at the very moment it spew first sparks at the depths of the ocean." Ravenspire said while patting the massive maul, one that appeared to be made from single, perfectly cut gemstone, locked in the fitting of gold appearing metal. Gem part of the head glowed with warm ruby light, pulsating regularly like a slow heartbeat but also reminding of the blacksmith furnace. Without further words griffon king passed the hammer into Zelda talons. While it appearance was huge, griffoness could find out that now that she hold it, it was no heavier then the first smiting hammer she ever welded. She could now also see elaborate ornaments adorning both on the handle and the head. The scenes of griffon smiths working over their craft, sculpted into every bit of the metallic surface - so precise and so numerous one could study them for hours. Foreblaze beauty was equal to the power she could feel by holding it.

"The fiery power within indestructible Foreblaze is of the same kind that rest in the heart of the world itself. Thus it can never be extinguished, and at your call it will unleash it outside. With this hammer you will have little need for furnace for it burns hotter then any of them - except special cases when heat will not be enough. No flames will burn you ever again either, and you will find out that when needed it can be as effective and terrifying weapon as it is a tool. All of this will come with time however. Foreblaze itself will recognize you growing experience, giving you access to it's secrets as you will become more familiar with it - so don't fear losing control over it's power"

After this rather elaborate explanation Gideon fell silent was more. While he withhold word for a moment, it was clear he was not finished.

"But even the most perfect of tools can take you only this far. Which is a reason for my second gift."

And without warning ghostly king extended one of his spectral talons and touched Zelda forehead.

In span of moment a surge of knowledge flowed into griffones mind. Smiting techniques long forgotten, an alloys secret's of which were lost to passage of time. Arcane sigil's inscribed into metal, methods to recognize ore quality, alchemist concoctions and oils that made items ten times stronger and many many more.... All of this was passed by Ravenspire in time that was needed to blink.

After another short moment - to allow Zelda to catch a break Gideon spoke once more.

"I have gifted you with a tool and with a knowledge. The only thing you need now young Zelda is experience, but this is something you have to gain on your own. I am sure that with time you will surpass even me, and when your days come to an end you will already have as worthy successor." Ravenspire advised griffones blacksmith, at the same time expressing his confidence in her potential. Dead king eyes once more gazed at the girls. "You have come to this mountain, and you have gained more then you sought. The true wealth and power however is not those items you received, but what allowed you to get them in first place." Gideon pointed at his own chest and smiled. "There is nothing more to prove, there is nothing more to say. It's time to say goodbye, but before that there is one final gift I have for all three of you."

With this he unruffled his ghostly wings and flapped them once. At first glance nothing changed, but kings next words explained reason for a gesture.

"You have climbed all this way on your own, there is no reason to come back the same way. I have calmed the winds of Everfrost, so you could make use of the gift from Mother Nature itself." Gideon smiled once more, and in a flash transformed back into 'Regulus' that the three came to know him.

"Farewell young ladies. Fly back home and make sure to make good use of those things I left you with. Remember, all you have to be beware of....is pride....."

He said before dispreading. There was no trace that he was here at all - even the hole that was made when recovering the hammer was gone, and the tomb was as covered in rime and frost as when they arrived. The only proof of what has trans-passed now rested in their hooves and talons....

Snow Dancer was excited to receive her prize, but she was more interested in her newfound friends' gifts. She knew what Wind Walker had, but the ghostly Griffon 

King promised something great for Zelda. True to his words, Regulus literally pulled a hammer from the depth of the mountain, his smithing hammer and his knowledge of smithing. 

"Wow, Zelda. You got an awesome gift and knowledge, too!" 

"Farewell young ladies. Fly back home and make sure to make good use of those things I left you with. Remember, all you have to be beware of....is pride....."

It was said that Snow Dancer would have to say goodbye to Regulus, but she knew that the mountain was his home. 

"Bye, your Highness. Thank you for everything!" the Pegasus said as the Griffon faded away before turning to her friends saying, "This was amazing! Do you think we should tell others what happened here on this mountain or keep it to ourselves?" 

EJhBYU5.png?1

Zelda listened as the old specter spoke. She had a feeling Wind Walker's father would need to have the ring fully checked out before the filly would be able to wear it. If was up Snow Dancer's folks to see about her key. Then again, parents who would allow a school-filly to climb a very large mountain by herself, probably weren't winning any parental awards. She had a small debate going on in her head. If she told others what had happened, most would probably think she was crazy. But the artifacts that were being handed out? Many might think they swiped them from an tomb. She remembered a good friend of hers, who was also Wind's sister stumbled into an ancient pre-equestrian underground temple. Neither Fire Walker nor the accompanying R.E.A officers disturbed any of the relics and the proper ponies were sent to fully categorize all of the temple's artifacts and to make sure there were no items of dark or powerful magic that could fall into the wrong hooves. If others knew what was hidden in the great mountain, would they dig it up for other artifacts? This weighed heavy on the young griffon.

The black bird quickly jumped in front of the two fillies as the dead griffon managed to break open what was probably his tomb. Thankfully no rocks or pebbles flew their way. "Oh.", the blacksmith's beak nearly hit the ground as the very impressive hammer. And she felt like her beak would pop off as the former king spoke of its powers. "wow.", she could only gasp. She rather liked her hammer. She had made it years ago and while it was simple looking, it did the job. She wanted to politely turn him down, but considering he believed she deserved it, and it would be very rude to say no, she would take the hammer. Maybe use it for special jobs. "Gee.", she blurted out as the hammer was now in her claws. It sure felt a lot lighter than it looked. She opened her beak to thank the griffon, but stopped when  King Ravenspire worked his spectral magic on her noggin.

As the former king said his farewells, Zelda gave the spirit one more bow, "Thank you, your majesty. I hope to do great things with this." Wind Walker who had been working on a rather elaborate snow-griffon, stopped to do the same. Once he vanished and things returned to 'normal, the black griffon turned to the two fillies. "I'm honestly not sure Miss Snow.", the blacksmith glanced at her new hammer. "I would find someone you know and trust that is into magic and have them look at your key. If any of this gets out to the masses, the might try to scour the mountain for more artifacts and that would be wrong."

Wind Walker finished the snow-griffon by adding a snow-crown to its head. "Guess we should be going..But before we go....Snow...", the filly asked, "We should probably exchange addresses incase you want to write...I live in Ponyville. Just write 'Cottage #10'. The place is so small and the addresses are really simple." the pony grinned back. "And you can always visit if you'd like. My Great Aunt Stardust lives in Cloudsdale, so I pop up there from time to time. And erm.", the filly put out her right front hoof for a shake, but the big griffon would have none of that! Instead she gave both ponies a hug....

Spoiler

OOC: We could probably end it here after Lux's final post? Cripes. This RP lasted over two years!

"I'm honestly not sure Miss Snow.", the blacksmith glanced at her new hammer. "I would find someone you know and trust that is into magic and have them look at your key. If any of this gets out to the masses, the might try to scour the mountain for more artifacts and that would be wrong."

Zelda did give a good pint about having somepony check out the key that was said to unlock any door. The Pegasus may be good with snow, but magic, especially  the one attached to this key, was way out of her league! But what the Griffon also said rung true. 

"You're right, maybe we shouldn't tell. I mean, if this is the king's home now, there shouldn't be lots of climbers trespassing on his home to find cool stuff like this." 

She looked down at her key around her neck, reminding herself to put it somewhere safe while returning home. The filly then noticed that her other friend, Wind Walker, had finished building a snow king griffon complete with a crown. 

"Hey, that's really neat! And with the cold here, this snow griffon should last for a long time! You know while I'm glad I got this key, I'm really happy that I met you Wind Walker and you too, Zelda! We definitely need to meet again, perhaps another adventure like this one!" 

"We should probably exchange addresses incase you want to write...I live in Ponyville. Just write 'Cottage #10'. The place is so small and the addresses are really simple."

"Cottage #10. Got it! I'm in #7 Sunrise Lane in Cloudsdale. It's right next to the Weather Factory where my dad works, so it should be easy to find. And of course I'll stop by Ponyville when Cloudsdale circles close to the town."

Wind extended a hoof of friendship to Snow which she was about to accept until Zelda scooped them up and embraced them. It felt nice to have those that cared for her as good friends and having a fun time that one the three could share.

"Alright, let's get down this mountain!"

Spoiler

Thanks for the great RP! This probably is the longest thread I was in, and one of the best! I'll definitely would like a thread where we are RPing. And thanks to Ciraxis for creating some awesome lore of the Griffon King!

Archived