Lost in the Everfree (ATTN:SteelEagle Closed)

Lux

scootalobannerLux_zps79c43853.png

The sun was already high in the sky when Scootaloo came riding up the path towards Sweet Apple Acres on her scooter and a saddlebag filled with supplies. As she crossed under the gate and passed by the endless orchard of apple trees her excitement swelled at the anticipation of meeting her friend Apple Bloom and going on another adventure with her. Although many of her adventures with friends ended with no cutie marks and even danger deep down the orange filly just loved the fun she had with her friends more than anything else.

thinking of her friends she let out a little sigh realizing that Sweetie Belle would not be accompanying them on this adventure. The unicorn said she had plans with her parents and couldn't go with them. Not having her around would be a very big hole left in the group. The filly tried to shake off the sadness realizing that at least she had one friend to pal around with.

Scootaloo pulled up to the house and waited for Apple Bloom to meet her. A minute went by, then several as Scootaloo began to wonder.

"Apple Bloom said to meet me at the house. At least that's what I think she said. What if she meant for me to go to the clubhouse, or go in her her house and meet her there? Ohhh... I don't know anymore!"

Scootaloo decided to stay where she was, hoping she was correct.

HappleBloomBanner_zps996468fa.png

Apple Bloom was always excited whe the time came for the Crusaders to gather and the world to be shook by the incredible action and adventure that accompanied all of their great escapades. It was rare when they didn't have the whole group together and when they didn't it seemed as if she had to work a little harder to get the really good ideas off of the ground. And she didn't mean that as some sort of rude joke towards Scootaloo, who luck would have it was the only Crusader she was going to meet today. Scootaloo was so driven to get her cutie mark that if Apple Bloom got her cutie mark before the others and by Crusader bylaw sixteen e, paragraph three, she was forced to resign, Scootaloo would make a wonderful leader. Always willing to try new things and go all out and rarely lazing it up by wishing to just spend a day doing as little as possible. It was especially true today, where the weather was perfect and the schoolday had been rough. They needed to Crusade and with Scootaloo by her side they were going to have the best Crusade of...the day.

Apple Bloom trotted boldly up the ramp and steps and finally into the clubhouse, a brisk wind aiding her stride as she entered with aplomb and an infectious energy that cascaded across her clubhouse like drums in the deep. Sweetie Belle would regret having family plans by the time they were done and had their cutie marks. Besides, they were a family unto themselves and that should have come before any so-called 'family' obligations. Coming from a pony hailing from a family known for...well, its family, Apple Bloom was an expert in that field. So she was excited to see another member of her extended family today...except Scootaloo wasn't here. That was odd of her. She was normally punctual, especially as she blasted across town on that scooter of hers. A minute went by, then several as Apple Bloom began to allow the black clouds of worry to rain on her parade.

"Ah told Scootaloo ta meet me at tha clubhouse...right? At least that's what Ah think Ah said. What if Ah said for 'er ta go ta tha house, or go inta tha woods and meet'r there? Oohhh...Ah could swear Ah said clubhouse! Ah just don't know anymore!" Apple Bloom sighed dramatically as she waited for her friend to show up. Several minutes went by, nothing. Uggh, she must have made a mistake. Well, clubhouse, house. Close enough. She would have to try there. Apple Bloom took off at a determined trot as valuable cutie mark crusading time was lost to the ravages of her occassional stupidity. Uggh, UGGH. She made good time to the house in any case and it wasn't long before she rounded the corner, seeing her pegasi friend looking mighty bored.

"Ah thought Ah said we were s'posed ta meet at that clubhouse? Ahh, no matter. We can go thar now!"

The Pegasus filly began to feel the worst emotion that plagued her life... Boredom. Scootaloo was an orange ball of energy, always wanting to go to new places and try new things. Why her parents once said that she was so active that she wouldn't even slow down in her dreams! This was true of course as most of Scootaloo's dreams involved her flying through the sky. But her super high level of energy came at a price as she couldn't just be content with staying in one place and doing nothing. Even when there was nothing she had to do something. So here in front of her friend's house Scootaloo started pacing like a tiger in a cage hoping that her friend would come soon.

It was not like Apple Bloom to be late especially to a Crusader's meeting. Why usually Apple Bloom was the first at the clubhouse waiting for the others to arrive, but this was more or less because the clubhouse was just a short gallop away from the barn like house. S

"Where is she?" she said looking around, "I saw her leaving school for home."

Her mind then flipped through the possibilities, and none of them were good like Apple Bloom coming down with some strange sickness or getting hurt, or even getting foalnapped by some shadowy organization to turn her into the ultimate monster! Well, maybe the last one wasn't true, but the others loomed large. She was about to knock on the door to the house when she heard a familiar voice.

"Ah thought Ah said we were s'posed ta meet at that clubhouse? Ahh, no matter. We can go thar now!"

Turning she saw her friend with a confused look on her fact.

"My bad," Scootaloo said rubbing the back of her head uneasily, "I thought you said house I guess. Ok then, off to the clubhouse."

Apple Bloom couldn't blame Scootaloo for forgetting. Most ponies had a hard time keeping up with Apple Bloom's amazing and swift mind that cut through the bull. Well, that was what she told herself. There was a good chance that she had made a mistake and just as equally likely that Scootaloo had made a simple mistake. No matter. They were ready to go and with a smile and a bounce Apple Bloom led the way gaily to the clubhouse. Scootaloo could probably zoom past her on the scooter but it didn't really matter. They made good time no matter what and all the while her mind could hardly keep up with all of the great idea that were flying around like endless rows of incredible bursts of inspiration. Something was in the air today, the way the trees swayed in the soft breeze with all the husky elegance of the apples laid and displayed out for the world to behold. Today was going to be epic, Sweetie Belle or not.

With that, she arrived and tossed the doors open, bounding inside with all the energy that was her birth right. She took a deep breath- all ofthat Crusader air was good for the heart and soul. She brought out the log book and quill, and waited for Scootaloo to find her position. It was time to get busy and get down to the...boring administrative tasks that made up the early part of a Crusaders meeting? Well, not everything could totally perfect. First thing on the agenda was the most important, taking account of everypony who was here!

"Alright Crusaders, ROLL CALL! Apple Bloom, present!"

With a renewed energy upon seeing her friend Scootaloo got back on her scooter and zoomed through the endless waves of apple trees dotting the hillside towards the clubhouse. Finding the Crusader's home base was a challenge to other ponies as one could easily get lost amongst the orchard where every turn brought the same scene. Scootaloo had to admit that after forming the group with Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle that she would have got momentarily lost in the orchard if it wasn't for her earth pony friend's sense of direction within her own home.

As she reached the familiar sight of the clubhouse, the orange filly could barely contain her excitement. It wasn't that she had a particular plan for the day, just that whatever was going to happen would be awesome as long as she had a friend to be along side her. There may come a time when the excitement of Crusaders would fade, but this was not this day! Now she felt this plenty of times in the past with her fellow Crusaders but this day was different somehow although Scootaloo couldn't put her hoof on why.

She bounded up the stairs as she saw Apple Bloom with the famous or maybe infamous log book. This was probably the worst part of being a Crusader with the clerical duties. It were these moments that made her feel like she was back in school with Miss Cheerilee taking attendance. But Scootaloo grinned and bore the boring parts hoping that in getting through them quickly the sooner the duo would move onto more fun things.

"Scootaloo present!" she said raising her hoof on instinct from school where she needed to be counted among a few dozen of other fillies and colts. Here being the only pony there besides Apple Bloom Scootaloo realized it was kind of silly and dropped her foreleg.

• 2 weeks later...

Sweetie Belle was late. Again.

Now, granted, this morning she hadn't even thought she'd be able to make it, but, as luck would have it (or bad luck?) her mother had fallen ill and the family outing had been cancelled, much to Sweetie Belle and Rarity's delight, and their mother's chagrin. As soon as she'd heard, though, Sweetie was dashing around the house, filling her saddlebags with everything she might need for an outing in the Everfree Forest! There was a compass and juice boxes and peanut butter crackers and a notebook and pencil just in case they came across any new, interesting creatures or plants. I mean, really, who knew what you might find in the Everfree?

So now, here she was, thundering through Sweet Apple Acres on little hooves, hoping against hope that she'd make it to the clubhouse before her friends left. She was almost there! She galloped into the clearing and darted up the ramp just as she heard Apple Bloom start the roll call. She heard Apple Bloom call as present, and then, just as she burst through the door, Scootaloo called as present, and then Sweetie Belle sort of somersaulted in, calling out "Sweetie Belle present!" as she came to a stop face first in the middle of the clubhouse. After a moment she rearranged herself into a much more presentable seated position, eyes wide, grin big, and acted like she had not just face planted into the room.

Crusader business was important business and business as usual was usually unusual. Most of the time it was unusual in a fun way, like they had decided to try skiing for their cutie marks and while doing so meeting and befriending a large, sapient turtle who happened to have a hankering for little ponies. Or maybe they would be out in the town trying to get street performer cutie marks but ran afoul of local street performers and found themselves involved in an odd dance-off. You never knew exactly what the Crusaders would do and neither did they and that was what made them s much fun to be around and be apart of. Of course, today was unusual in a poor fashion. With no Sweetie Belle around, it was like trying to manage a runaway herd of cows without so much as a Winona to help you. Scootaloo was a great pony and all but she couldn't be both the best little unicorn on the planet AND the coolest little pegasi, now could she?

"With all present, time-" she began with the gavel in the air, ready to bring it down and begin the order of the day when a bursting light of energy shined as bright as a star, burning a path into the clubhouse and announcing her presence. Apple Bloom smiled and reared up before bouncing back from behind the podium. Whatever straightening mane move Sweetie Belle pulled off was for naught after Apple Bloom applied a messy hug.

"Sweetie Belle, Ah thought you were gonna be with yer folks! Somethin' happen ta spring you out?" Apple Bloom ended with a giggle, bouncing back behind the podium with new vigor. Now they were together and on the way to a crusade to get their cutie marks!

"All Crusaders are present! Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, we are all ready ta CRUSADE! Only question is...what should we do? We have tried..." she looked into the log book, counting the final line and whistling, "seven-hundred and fifteen different things to get our cutie marks. But Ah'm sure seven sixteen will be the ticket to gettin' our flanks covered!"

The suspense was terrible within the clubhouse as things were finally being set into motion. With her named confirmed, Scootaloo's mind raced with things ideas of what business to attend to. For as far as she was concerned she was in the cutie mark hunting business, and business was booming. Well, maybe not booming as no matter how many times the three tried to find those elusive marks of importance, they were once again back to square one. Today the group was also at a disadvantage without one of their brain trust missing. That meant that Scootaloo and Apple Bloom would have to be work harder, better, faster and stronger than before!

Before their fate was sealed of having only two members present, the door flew wide and in rolled Sweetie Belle in a white ball of energy and cuteness!

"Nice for you to drop in Sweetie Belle," Scootaloo said snickering a bit at her rough landing but happy she was there, "Looks like we have the group together."

"All Crusaders are present! Sweetie Belle, Scootaloo, we are all ready ta CRUSADE! Only question is...what should we do? We have tried..." she looked into the log book, counting the final line and whistling, "seven-hundred and fifteen different things to get our cutie marks. But Ah'm sure seven sixteen will be the ticket to gettin' our flanks covered!"

Seven hundred and fifteen times? Why wasn't it just a few days ago that the Crusaders were on their six hundred and thirty ninth time? Maybe they were having an exceptionally busy time trying many things. It was saddening a little to know that they were unsuccessful so many times but boy did thay have fun doing so, and that was all right for Scootaloo! But strangely Apple Bloom in her logistical duties forgot about what they planned on doing.

"Um... Apple Bloom, you did remember our plans to spend a night in the Everfree Forest exploring and things, right?" the orange filly said pointing to a menagerie of supplies filling a pack to the point that if one more thing would be added! It wasn't like it was so inconspicuous, right?

• 3 weeks later...

Sweetie smoothed her mane back out after the hug, a big grin plastered on her face. "Well, mom isn't feeling well, so we cancelled the whole thing!" She settled down and checked her saddlebags, to make sure nothing had fallen out, while she listened to her friends. Seven hundred and fifteen, hm? That sure was a lot. Maybe if the got all the way to one thousand, they'd get cutie marks for trying one thousand different things to get their cutie marks! Or, y'know, they'd get them for something on the way to one thousand.

"Um... Apple Bloom, you did remember our plans to spend a night in the Everfree Forest exploring and things, right?"

Sweetie looked up. "Oh, come on! Even I remembered that, and I didn't think I'd get to go!" she squeaked, closing her bags and bouncing back up onto her tippyhooves. "I really really really want to try making a field guide for the Everfree! For all the plants and animals! I mean, I know it's been done before, I'm sure, but I want to try it myself! Maybe we'll discover something new!" She brought roughly five notebooks, seventy-two pencils, and fifteen pens for the sake of making a field guide. "Just imagine it! I could travel the world making guides to the indigenous flora and fauna of faraway places!"

Sometimes, Apple Bloom's brain felt like it was falling out of her head. It was probably because of the amazing amount of chores she tended to do or all the current drama with Diamond Tiara she was dealing with on a moment by moment basis. It was hard to keep track of the farm work alone sometimes. She had lists of things she had to do and it only grew longer as she grew older. By the time she got her cutie mark she would be up to almost three-fourths of what Applejack was doing! That was a good thing for the most part. They had more and more faith in her and nothing as sweeter than a bit of faith. Schoolwork wise she was doing the work of two ponies and doing better than she normally would anyway. She was also the official logistician and record keeper of the Crusaders and that was a job fit for a team all by itself. So once in a while her brain went on a vacation to Prance and wrote her a letter with a nice post card that she only opened after Scootaloo spoke, reminding her of their plans.

"Um... Apple Bloom, you did remember our plans to spend a night in the Everfree Forest exploring and things, right?"

Thanks brain, could have used that sooner. Apple Bloom facehooved.

“Uggh, Ah forgot. Mah brain feels like it being drowned by numbers. Hopefully Ah don't get a crazy pony cutie mark 'cause that'd be sad little cutie mark ta have. But alright, yeah, we're gonna go ta tha Everfree forest! No doubt our cutie marks can be found thar!” She bellowed excitedly, looking back at what they had packed. It was a good thing Apple Bloom had went camping with her sister more times than she could count because they had a lot of stuff to pack and relatively little time to do so. Apple Bloom had snuck about the farm and gathered some top of the line camping materials- tents, sleeping bags, marshmallows, first aid kits, whatever they needed fr a safe and successful trip, Apple Bloom had. Hopefully Applejack wouldn't miss some of it. Or all of it. They didn't have a camping trip planned for the next several weeks anyway. Applejack would find out when her sister returned home with a giant cutie mark for Everfree adventuring with her fellow Crusaders. It was a flawless strategy!

"I really really really want to try making a field guide for the Everfree! For all the plants and animals! I mean, I know it's been done before, I'm sure, but I want to try it myself! Maybe we'll discover something new!Just imagine it! I could travel the world making guides to the indigenous flora and fauna of faraway places!"

Now that was the spirit! You could always count on her to supply lethal amounts of energy and enthusiasm for any subject but when they were discussing cutie marks it was like she was a one-pony reactor of excitement. Apple Bloom couldn't help but love her ideas for cutie marks. Maybe they'd all get them! Probably not though, since Apple Bloom had her own ideas for what would look best adorning her flank.

“That sounds real cool, Sweetie Belle! Ah bet ya coul have a best sellin' guide called, “Tha Filly's Guide ta tha Everfree”. Ah wanna go further inta tha Everfree than any Apple eva has! Ah'll get a nice forest cutie mark and mah job'll be ta keep Sweet Apple Acres safe from tha Everfree forever!” She neighed and reared in excitement. It was going to be a lot of fun!

Scootaloo didn't blame Apple Bloom for her mental slip. Why the orange filly would occasionally forget things in life like where the Crusader were to meet or what to do next for her homework. She wasn't dumb by any stretch, just that between Crusading, school, fighting off Diamond Tiara, chores and her quest to fly why there was hardly room for much else in her noggin!

It was interesting that even though Sweetie Belle was away on vacation she had a backup plan in mind. Of course it had to be nerdy sciency stuff like cataloging animals and plants. Scootaloo wasn't really interested in that but she couldn't help but feel excited for her friend who managed to pack and be ready for the trip.

"Aww don't worry Apple Bloom. My brain can barely hold anything else as it is so I know how easy it is to forget. That sounds like a great plan Sweetie Belle. Me, I'm going to find all the cool places to explore like caves and waterfalls and maybe even ruins of past pony civilizations! Who knows, maybe I'll find treasure too!"

• 4 weeks later...

Sweetie Belle twirled around on her tippyhooves a few times, barely able to contain her excitement. She was, essentially, a little white bundle of energy, at least right now, and she was ready to get going. Of course, she needed to make sure they were all ready.

"Do we have enough snacks? And water and juice? I brought lots of notebooks and things, but do we have a map? Or at least do we all remember where the poison joke is so we can avoid it? We should stop at Zecora's and say hi! Maybe we should stop at Froggy Bottom Bog, too. I bet Fluttershy'd like to know how the frogs are all doing. Do we have rope? Just in case we fall in any pit traps or something? Am I forgetting anything?" Her mouth moved at the speed of light and she was still tripping over her words a little. "We should leave as soon as possible so we can maximize the amount of sunlight we get to travel by. Oh, oh, oh! Do we have lanterns? We should take lanterns. If I try really hard I can make a spark juuuuuust big enough to ignite lamp oil." Has it been mentioned that she was really excited? Because she was really excited.

When the Crusaders came together and brought the minds together and get to working, it was a thing to marvel at. They could accomplish any task no matter how big or small, solve any problem no matter how tough, pass any test no matter how important! Both Scootaloo and Sweetie Belle started listing off either things they needed or some of their hopes for the adventure and both of her fellow Crusaders stoked Apple Bloom's desire for adventure. Could it be possible that this day was the day of days that would be remembered as the most important of all the days? Hopefully! Apple Bloom put her hooves together and rubbed them, thinking about everything that they could do as she took in what her Crusaders were saying. As she thought, she spoke.

“Ruins of ancient civilizations...hopefully! An' then we can go ahead and become the new Princesses of a lost pony civilization an' we'll have tiaras and servants and everythin' an' than Ah'll come and get Diamond Tiara and let's see how she likes being treated like dirt huh?!” She started, getting louder and louder until she realized how loud she was saying that. Sheepishly, se rubbed the back of her mane and laughed, “haha, got a bit carried away thar. Froggy Bottom and Fluttershy would be nice ta hit on tha way back, good thinkin' Sweetie Belle. An' we do have tha map an a whole heap of rope. Hehehe, made doubly sure ta mark tha Poison Joke an' we have a compass. Don't want a repeat of last time! Ah always made sure ta pack food and water for a short trip, really just more of a snack than anythin'. Do we need anythin' else, Scootaloo?”

Scootaloo marveled at the fact that whenever the Crusaders gathered together to plan their next quest for the all elusive cutie marks they shared an almost telepathic bond with each other. It was like each pony adding their thoughts into the collective stew and then coming up with a game plan. Even if the three so far didn't get their marks it wasn't because of lack of ideas or planning. Perhaps this was the day that they would succeed.

Sweetie Belle moved at warp speed talking about the essential things needed for the trip including the fact that she wanted to start this camping adventure not now but ten minutes ago! Apple Bloom added to the excitement of the possibility of lost civilizations and that she had things already packed.

"I can't wait to see if there are some cool things to check out like caves filled with treasure and places where no pony has set their hoof in! I did bring some things as well like a tent, a first aid kit, some water, food. You know, basic camping things. As for lanterns I think there are some oil and firefly ones here. Oh, we need something to start a fire in case it gets cold. I brought matches for those. Good thing you marked the places where there's Poison Joke Apple Bloom. I'd hate to turn into... whatever it was I became."

With that she shuddered thinking about the last attempted trip into the Everfree Forest that ended in getting stranded in the blue flowers and having to pay a visit to Zecora. Not that Scootaloo disliked the Zebra but she preferred to have as few detours as possible while hunting for adventure, treasure and cutie marks.

"Whenever the two of you are ready, so am I. Oh, and you don't mind if I leave my scooter here Apple Bloom? I don't think it will work well in the forest."

• 1 month later...

"It sounds like we have everything then!" She tippy hooved a little as she spoke, eager to get moving. There was nothing better than fun with her friends, except maybe fun with her friends AND exploring a new place. Safely of course. She edged toward the door a bit at a time, still on tippy hooves. Different possibilities of what they might run across flashed through her head like so many shorts in a montage. Images and phrases and bits of mythology and legend fluttered around in her head like butterflies, and she had a hard time chasing just one without jumping to another and another and another.

"Do you think we'll find a snipe? Or maybe a colony of six-legged deer! I bet they know voodoo. Oh, oh, oh, or maybe there are wolpertingers! Do you think there are wolpertingers? I bet there are wolpertingers." The little white bundle of energy twirled in a circle again before nudging open the clubhouse door. "Let's GO!" she squeaked, ever over-excitable.

There they were! All three Crusaders seemed to be on the same page. If they could only get out there and start having a blast finding their cutie marks then everything else, like not getting eaten by everfree rider tree bears, would fall in line. Didn't mean she was willing to into the Everfree half cocked, mind you. Just that she was far more excited about the prospect of a nice adventure getting her cutie marks with the best friends a little pony could ever hope for than she was worried about the danger. Danger was dangerous but she knew how to handle the everfree, much to her family's chagrin. She'd been grounded more than once or twice on account of spleunking where a pony shouldn't spleunk. But because of those experiences she was confident they'd be fine as long as they avoided any of the nasties and poison joke, which wasn't as funny as it sounded. Scootaloo brought some of her gear and Apple Bloom had hers- yep, Sweetie Belle was right, they had everything they could ever possibly need.

“Sure Scootaloo! Yer scooter should be just fine here. Nopony'll mess with it an' if they do, we'll just blind 'em with our super nice cutie marks!” Apple Bloom said, shaking her flank for a second before giggling, “ah bet we're gonna get cutie marks all about cave exploration and finding all sorts of treasures. Why, Ah reckon we'll find treasure that is worth so much we can build a really, really, REALLY big clubhouse and in that clubhouse we'll store all the snipes and all tha friendly six-legged deer we can get! Wolpertingers with collars made out of gold and hay-bacon...if wolpertingers exist, anyway. Which they might, ya never know what the Everfree has in store for ya! Well, it sounds like we have everything we need. If nopony can think of anything, let's go!” Apple Bloom jumped up excitedly, neighed, and galloped out towards the Everfree and the super cool fun time happy adventures contained therein!

The growing suspense of adventure was terrible but Scootaloo hoped it would last them the trip. With talks of exploring unknown places and mysterious creatures and even treasure the filly could explode if she didn't get started right away. Of course she knew this had to be planned carefully or else the three may get eaten by a Wolpentiner... whatever that was. It sounded scary enough to be real. But having been on dozens of missions where danger looked the three in the eye and they didn't blink meant that they were prepared for whatever the forest would throw at them!

"Do you think we'll find a snipe? Or maybe a colony of six-legged deer! I bet they know voodoo. Oh, oh, oh, or maybe there are wolpertingers! Do you think there are wolpertingers? I bet there are wolpertingers."

“ah bet we're gonna get cutie marks all about cave exploration and finding all sorts of treasures. Why, Ah reckon we'll find treasure that is worth so much we can build a really, really, REALLY big clubhouse and in that clubhouse we'll store all the snipes and all tha friendly six-legged deer we can get! Wolpertingers with collars made out of gold and hay-bacon...if wolpertingers exist, anyway. Which they might, ya never know what the Everfree has in store for ya! Well, it sounds like we have everything we need. If nopony can think of anything, let's go!”

"I don't think I've ever seen those things, but I'll take your word for it. And thanks for letting me park my scooter here. Hey, maybe if we find a Wolpentinger and it's big enough i can train it so I can ride it! Why I'll be the first ever Wolpentinger riding pony and maybe get my cutie mark in it. And if we find treasure we can really do cool things, like put a pool in the clubhouse, or a slide, or a slide going into a pool. Or maybe some uniforms like superheros wear and a room where we can train other ponies looking for cutie marks so that they can go on missions. I'd call it the Danger Room, but I think somepony else might have that name first."

Scootaloo paused as she looked at the pile of essential cutie mark hunting gear, then at the clubhouse to check to make sure they weren't missing anything, then at her friends who were ready to go.

"Alright! Everfree Forest, here we come!"

Archived