Opportunities (Open to All)

RarityDash

((This particular location is really pretty dead it seems... But I already have at least one Rockwington pony to RP with... It's open to anypony (or griffin or whatever else) though.))

Lady Luck sauntered slowly through the Rockwington open market. It was good being back in this town. Rockwington was a kind of rough place, but Lady had come to think of it as her home, even if she was only ever here for so long. Sure, she had to put up with the hungry stares of all the griffins, but a mare of Lady's caliber was used to hungry stares. She'd get those anywhere she went from the stallions. It didn't really matter regardless; she knew how to fight if charm wasn't enough. Whatever the case, a few hungry birds were hardly more trouble than the Appleloosa lawmen on her trail... and Rockwington was also definitely preferable to that poor, dingy Roughrider Ridge.

Lady had just returned from a venture to the frontier. She had made a killing off of some rich stallion from Canterlot visiting the plains as a tourist. Just a little of her charm and the poor sap was completely disarmed. A hoof to his head later and she had more bits than she could even carry without having to even break out her cards. Said bits were now weighing heavy on her flank. She was looking for something to spend them on.

Nothing was catching her eye in the market stalls. Iron working was the towns most famous trade, and really it hardly interested Lady. All of it soon seemed to blur together, until she just wasn't really even looking anymore. Perhaps, these winning would just end up in her vault... She continued forward hopeful that she'd at least find somewhere to spend her money. Who knows, maybe she'd even find an opportunity to make some more...

Iron will awoke rather tired and perplexed. After much looking around without anything to look at, he decided it was in fact the sun that was causing him so much confusion. It was the same old sun he had been living under for all his life which gave Iron no reassurance as to why it was giving him such trouble. It took him only a matter of moments before he realized that it was in the wrong spot. Every morning Iron had awoke, the sun was rising with him just above the distant horizon. But on this particular morning, the sun had decided to race in front of its usual companion and reach it's highest point before giving Iron the signal that it was time to awaken. Iron took a few more moments to react.

Iron jumped up from his usual spot before the forge, sending the small film of dirt that had been resting on his nose down into his lungs which in turn gave him a rather nasty sneezing fit. He looked around with quickly watering eyes to find the second cause of his confusion; the status of his uncle. Iron rubbed his eyes dry, trotting around the small shop for any trace of the old work horse. The spot his bag was usually kept was now unusually empty, which cleared up Iron's confusion once and for all, leaving a feeling of dread.

He trotted to the bellows, quickly breathing life into the dieing flame before tossing in a few select pieces of food. Now that the fire was thoroughly fed Iron set to work on the only job his uncle had left him with, watching the shop and hammering nails. Iron didn't completely understand why he was always left to watch a shop no one ever entered when he could be out helping his uncle. As soon as the thought passed him Iron answered himself; it was because he slept in past noon and almost let the fire die. With a heavy sigh, he took the hammer into his mouth and began the tiresome task of making nails his uncle would use later that day.

((It was really kind of a struggle for me to get these two to come together... but this should work... hopefully..))

Lady shook her head. She was bored. The marketplace was too quiet today. There was absolutely nothing to catch the eye of a discerning pony like herself. Giving a sigh, she began to wonder where she should take herself for the day's mischief. She really didn't have any interest in Rockwington's metalworkers and their dingy workshops, but it was a part of the town she didn't know so well. Who knows, maybe she'd find something kind of nice if she investigated? It might at least prove an interesting diversion.

Out of pure curiosity, she decided to investigate. She picked a quiet looking workshop from the many at random and walked up to it. With a shrug, she entered. A single young stallion was inside hammering nails. The shop was small and dirty. It didn't really look worth Lady's time. She almost turned back without saying anything, but she was still curious. Besides, it was some relief that this was a pony run shop. That made this easier for her to deal with.

"Hi there, handsome," Lady said in a low, slow voice as she walked up to the stallion. "You wouldn't happen to have anything for sale that would suit a discerning filly like me?" Lady flashed her best smile as she wondered what was in her luck that day.

Iron had hammed quiet a few nails in his day but very few of them attracted the attention of anyone other than his uncle. Therefore it was quiet a surprise when he saw a mare standing before his shop. He ignored the handsome statement, not one for false compliments. He could only imagine how he looked covered in his fine layer of dust. "Good day ma'am. Let me see if I can find something you might take a fancy to."

Iron carefully stored the new nails under his work table, moving himself towards the back of the shop. He knew exactly where to find what the lady was looking for though it might not be what a pretty filly like herself would be hoping for. Iron shook his head slightly. He shouldn't be worrying about how pretty his customers where, just what they were interested in buying.

Hidden away in a small wooden box laid a few trinkets Iron had made while his uncle was away. Copper, brass and even a few silver pieces shined back at him. Iron grabbed the box, taking them to his counter with a heavy heart.

"Any of these spark your fancy?"

Lady smirked slightly. This stallion seemed a little less affected by her famous smile than most, which left Lady a little dissatisfied.

Still, she looked at the trinkets presented to her. Most of it looked like garbage to her. She was Lady Luck, gambler extraordinaire. Common metal trinkets would never do. Some pieces began to catch her eye as she looked closer though. The workmanship was actually surprisingly quite nice. Ideas began to form in Lady's head.

"These aren't half bad," said Lady in a low voice as she admired the details.

"Who made them?" she asked before giving a girlish giggle. "Don't tell me it was you?"

Iron watched the filly eye his hard work, noting the look of disdain she held in her orbs. He swelled a small bit with pride as he watched her eyes widen. It was the magic of his work. Though the jewelry look simple at first, it only took a few moments of careful observation for one to notice the intricate swirls and designs he had hammered in. This is what made him different from his uncle, hidden details. Not half bad had been the first comment he had ever received on his masterpieces but it was a compliment all the same.

"Hammered them all out myself. I can only make them when I don't have to work the bellows or help with our regular customers. I really don't have a chance to show them off." He wondered for a moment at the girlish giggle. Had she forced it just to please him? Iron shook the thought.

"Looks and talent... Aren't you quite the catch," Lady said with playful smile, noticing her flirting was perhaps getting to the stallion a bit more. Much like the metal this pony worked with, stallions always became more pliable when heated up a little.

"So, you can do this sort of work with any metal then?" she asked, narrowing her eyes, some fun ideas popping up in her head. "And do you take custom orders?"

What was with all this flirting? Iron was slightly taken aback by the obvious charm she was using. Then again, maybe she was just a charming pony in general. He shook his head slightly. What was he thinking? Iron had never paid attention to the giggles and smiled of other fillies, why this one all of a sudden? Was it because she actually showed interest in what he was creating? Or was she looking for a good deal. The entire thought process mad Iron feel uncomfortable.

This is where Iron was in his element. He loved talking about his work, his little experiments. "I've been trying out different metals and so far I've been successful. This one here was my first attempt at silver and I find it to be the best one if I don't say so myself." He eyed it under the sunlight where even he was taken aback by the design. Iron was used to seeing his creations by the light of the fire, hammering them out right beside the forge else someone catch a peak at them. The thought of a custom order made him a little uneasy.

Iron filled out orders everyday, taking all night to make sure every piece he created was perfect. But the orders he filled where usually just for nails and the occasional cooking pot or pan. Creating custom jewelry for someone was a pony of a different color. What if he couldn't do it? He thought of the few bits he had kept aside for himself, using them to buy the materials he needed for his secret projects."I've never taken a custom order but I'm sure I could give it a try." How hard could it be? The most the filly would want is a silver or gold bracelet with some flowers etched into it right? Iron's pride fell a bit. "I'd be happy to hammer something out for you."

Lady gave short laugh as she realized she was really getting to this poor sap now. He was really buying into it. Which was good considering Lady was genuinely impressed with his skill. She reached back into the pouch she wearing on her flanks. She found the small bag stuffed full of bits she had stole from the Canterlot gentlecolt within it and brought it to the stallion's table, giving another giggle as she did.

"Lady Luck is the name, but you can call me Lady," she introduced herself in a fond voice. "Ace gambler with unbeatable luck. I happen to be after an accessory fitting a pony of my standing."

Lady smiled and let open the bag of gold coins. She smiled. "You think you could melt these down and make something pretty for me?" she asked.

Iron mentally kicked himself in the head. He was sure the filly knew she had gotten on his soft side. Where was the calm composure his uncle had lectured into him. Iron took a long breath to focus himself. Gambler extraordinaire huh? She was skilled, and most likely used her pretty looks to her advantage. Which was what she was doing now! There was the motivation to stay focus. She was looking for a good deal, or perhaps a great over the wall deal. Iron had found his center again. Cool as steel.

Iron's eyes widened at the sight of the bag of bits. He couldn't think of a time he had seen so many. "I'm sure I could hammer you out something nice." Already his mind was filling with ideas. He could hammer card like designs into them. Maybe he could make them look like the back of a card with suits hidden. Yes, surely that would work. But maybe it was too masculine. Iron started to think of coloration. Enamels could work but that would make the hidden design more noticeable. His brow furrowed as images swirled in his head. "Yes, I could do that for you."

"Excellent," Lady said with a warm smile and a laugh. "I'll let you decide what you want to make. Something practical for a pretty pony perpetually on the prowl? Or perhaps something you just think might compliment my eyes? It's your choice."

Lady giggled again. She was having fun. Why hadn't she thought of this before? She always had more gold than she knew what to do with. If she was going to hide out in this town, why not make use of their metal workers to make her stuff she could use and wear with it? It was only logical.

"If I like what you make for me, I promise I'll definitely make it worth your time," Lady playfully said, smiling and looking the stallion in the eye.

Iron took this chance to look Lady in the eye, which he immediately regretted. He lowered his own eyes back to his work table, gingerly taking the bag of bits in his mouth."I have a few ideas." He laid the bag under his work table, busying himself with looking for a forge pot. How much longer would his uncle be out? Knowing his usual schedule Iron knew he had he still had a few hours. That have him time to melt down the bits at least. He would have to wait till that night to actually start hammering out designs. Iron took another look at the bag. He had enough for at least two pieces. Maybe three. That gave him some wiggle room for practice. That settled it. He would do one without enamel and one without. Lady would have her pick of what she thought was the best.

Oh how he hoped she liked them. Just like he hoped every customer enjoyed their orders he told himself. But honestly, who enjoyed nails? They would be hidden in carts or doors. But this Lady, she liked his work. No. She was 'on the prowl'. A pretty pony like herself was probably used to charming silly stallions like himself. He was just falling for her many tricks. Iron was surprisingly okay with this. It was a compliment wasn't it? She thought he was worth the time and effort to charm, even if it was for his metal working.

Iron flashed his best attempt at a hearty smile. "I'll start working on this right away Miss Lady."

"Wonderful," Lady said with a small laugh.

"How long do you think this will be?" she then asked. She honestly didn't know very much about metalwork, but she was willing to wait as long as she needed to for quality. She was in no hurry. As far she knew no one had followed her back to Rockwington. They never did. She was ready to stay here until that familiar urge to test her luck once more returned.

((It's cool. Glad to see you back. :) You might have noticed that some of our RP posts from the other day got deleted though... Apparently from some site problem discussed here and here. So we're going to have to redo those...))

[[Oh drat lol]]

Iron let out a sigh of relief, sitting back to admire his work. It had taken him a good three days of sneaking and hammering to finally complete Miss Lady's order. It was most likely the best think he had ever done. The entire thing was covered in colored enamel, all besides the tiny details he had hammered in which had been left to their metallic glory. If you stared long enough, the mountain of roses would reveal cards and dice hidden among their petals. "Wonderful." Iron was not one to feel boastful but he loved his work. He was able to create the masterpiece on the first try, with enough metal to make a matching set of earrings, if the Lady wore earrings of course. If not, at least she had something she could take to a local market.

Iron closed the shop temporarily, his uncle again off on business in another part of the town. He trotted excitedly to where he agreed to meet Lady, his masterpiece wrapped carefully and packed away in his saddlebag.

((I see you decided to just skip ahead from where we had been. Probably the best idea. Any idea what I should do in the other thread? I'm kind of not exactly remembering where we were with it.))

Lady gave a yawn as she lounged lazily about her house. It had been three days since she placed her order with that metal worker Stallion. Lady hadn't really thought about the encounter much since then. She had just been taking it easy, enjoying her time in town. She had even made a decent profit in a game of chance against a couple ponies and a griffin the night before. Though she was already kind of aching to get back on the road, Lady had to admit things had gone quite well since she got back to this town.

She was content at that moment to just sit around her home and zone out. Her mind wandered a long while, but then flashed to some of the sadder moments of her past as she waited around. She had made a lot of herself since then, but there was a lot in her past that still haunted her. Thinking about it made her mood fall. She snarled with disgust as she remembered her father and the stallions who would always beat her into submission when she defeated them at cards. Remembering that pain, she became increasingly angered.