Golden Age Comics! Issue 1: You Never Say Good Luck on Opening Night!

Kirby Krackle

MorningGlory.png

Bravado loved stale popcorn. Just pop it, put some butter and salt on it, and it was good. Let it sit for a day, and it was even better. But it was so hard to let it wait that whole day! Morning Glory had several more hooffulls as she tried to look through the paperwork, before it got yanked from her hooves to the Pagemaster's admittedly impressive feat of ledgered legerdemain. She was so tempted to get distracted by that cloak and crossbow, but she resisted as Bravado could feel the tension rising between Pagemaster and Curtain Call, or Curtain and Captain Nightguard.

What tension?

Just trust me, Doc.

Bravado had stomach-churning memories of Dawn Rising and Hypothesis yelling at each other and him caught in the middle. He really needed to handle this better than that time ...

"A-hem ... grievances ... like trying to pick a fight that's already done? You hadn't wanted to fight with me, Pagemaster, when I had just plowed you through half a theatre. Why do you want to pick a fight with him, now? Sure, he screwed up, I think he already gets that, but he already tried going to the police. YOU might be familiar with all the intricate details of beuracratic politics, but to most ponies, it's just 'The Government'. And he found out it was corrupt. Just like the rest of us, he was doing the best that he could. I think it's selfless of him to give up eating decent food so that he could try to protect his neighbors. If I had two bits to rub together, I'd give a few to him, myself. As is, all I can do is help him with his problem, and help him repair the theatre, later. Now, I'm all for heading over to this meeting of corrupt police ponies, but we'll all have to work together, and not let the fight we just had get in the way."

Morning Glory stood up tall, her cloak and skirts fluttering around her, horn held high. She looked slowly across the group. "None of us are perfect, but can we all work together to help out the Masquerade in unseating the corruption, and restoring Justice to this town? I know now why the Powers That Be sent me. Because my role is in Justice, and that is sorely missing here. Captain Nightguard here has experience working as a team, and combining diverse talents - he can help organize us. Pagemaster here has incredible talent in assembling stray bits of data into a coherent whole, and that versatile magic of his will be wonderfully adaptable to any situation that might arise. Stone Heart is aptly named - he stood out there to draw the attention of the Wendigo when his courage seemed all he had, and he's already got the right idea here. Point out who we need to thump. That courage and skill will do us well. And The Masquerade already strikes terror into the hearts of villains in this area ... he's more than just these magnificent pieces of equipment. He's got the imagination and performance to assemble all these props to turn them into something more than just a stage act. Between us, I don't see anything that can stop us ... except our own distrust or grudges. Maybe I'm being naive to trust somepony who just attacked us and fed us a story ... but in these times, trust is all that's going to pull us through. And you can't just give a little bit. It's got to be either all or nothing. Chance may have brought us together, but I see us, together, as Jacks of all Trades that can fix what's wrong with this town."

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Captain Nightguard watches, his head tilted as the other pony teleports. The reveal of the ice dart makes him raise an eyebrow as things click "Clever... very clever. So when I shot at the box, I wasn't shooting at him, but at you, the teleporting being what got you out?" the pony's mind reassessing the combat now. His voice flat, but without a biting edge of any ill will to Curtain Call "My noticing your uncle was because of your calling attention to the upper levels. If I'm correct, I knew when I did the first shot that -SOME-pony was up there. And when I knew it wasn't a windigo, I knew there had to be as second pony. I just assumed it was two pony's using a strategy to make it look like one is teleporting... not one actually is. Next time, if you've got a non-combatant, don't draw attention to him."

He glances to the masked pony "I wasn't saying it wasn't an inappropriate symbol. I was saying there's strategies in place that brings all active armed and armored..., including the princesses." there's a bit of a sad note to his voice "Or princess."

He closes his eyes and hms softly when Pagemaster explains the situation, and Morning Glory's speech. "I do understand the desire to not go before the police. I don' trust them much myself." to stop any questions, he raises his one good wing, a reminder as to which type of pegasus he is "And with evidence pointing to corruption, they have to be stopped. Though tonight... I probably wouldn't suggest rushing in." he gives a very pointed look to Morning Glory. "We have many options. With all this gear, I'm not exactly the quietest, but we know at least one who won't be noticed by most if he doesn't want to be." he points at Curtain Call "Same one who can probably can blend in as a cop or any other regular pony, as can you Stone with some cleaning up. I'm guessing the way you wear that mask Pagemaster... that you look a regular pony too... though next meeting, might not be a good idea to introduce your real name if you're hiding your identity. Especially with twisted cops." He's slightly amused as he says this "Two of us stand out like sore hooves no matter what we do, but that's why we both make backup if things get dicey. You've seen the clouds I can use and I fight just as well in the dark as I do when I can see. If a fight comes, if you kill all light... er... no, you guys probably aren't used to fighting in dark... that's frustrating." he shrugs a bit, ruffling his wing "Also, we have the one pony wrecking ball, so she can bring the house down if need be." he looks to the group "I think Pagemaster and Curtain Call are the ones to be the ones to get in and get the information, I also want to get hold of this... Kaffa Tea. Just seems too convenient. Is there anything else I need to know what you guys can do so I can adjust plans as needed, as well as what sort of signals do you use for need of distraction, extraction, full attack?" as he thinks through the plans he paces, Curtain Call might notice that while he noticed the anger, Captain Nightguard holds no hostility towards the earth pony. This evidence has proven the monsters that need to be fought are not in the theater.

Dusty seemed to.. tune the rest of the group out for a moment as his focus remained on the invoice containing the mysterious herb: Kaffa. Try as he might that name just did nothing to job the work stallion's memory... he was more familiar with doing the manual labor on the old Spice farm rather then doing any research or managing of them. Still, from his work he knew just what sort of conditions had to be met for a spice of any kind to be made and grown without issue; there were only a hoof full of places around Thoroughbred that would support such activity. His head turned back toward the group as their discussions continued on.. Pagemaster seemed quite distrustful and critical of the actor stallion whilst the other two, Captain Nightguard and Morning Glory, attempted to mediate the situation and instead plan ahead for their next move. His ears perked at the momentary mentions of his name as he turned and trotted his way back toward the conversing group, peering up from under the rims of his cowcolt hat.

"..m'jsut a fighter at heart. Ah was taught to never give anypony a sign that you're afraid when you're on the business end of their weapon; keep yur head n' look fer an openin', that sorta thing." he responded in kind to Morning Glory's remark. As much of the 'Paragon' part she seemed to be playing, she was powerful for certain and a good pony at heart; he felt she and him could get along decently.

He looked to Nightguard as he spoke next, "Ah could try mah best to be inconspicuous but uh.. y'all probably can see that subtly ain't exactly mah strong suite. Ah'll be doin' less talkin' iffen I be needin' to work with Page over there; he seems the type to handle business anyway." he spoke rather deadpan, "As fer your tea problem... I used to be a spice farmer mahself and know a few conditions that need meetin' before y'all can get any kind of spice... Kaffa ain't familiar t'me but ah can figure out the best farmin' areas around Thoroughbred."

Through his teeth, the dashing rogue was about to mutter something along the lines of “I'll show you a tribal grievance.” But then, as the Princess began to speak, a funny thing happened. Curtain Call, for the first time in a fair while, felt his edges soften a bit. The hustle and bustle of the big city soured him a bit, more-so as his home and hearth became threatened. Now more than ever, the slate gray stallion has only dealt with shysters in the past. And, well, there is an old saying about the fate of those who fight monsters. But now, as this complete stranger (regardless of her status as an immortal superpower, if that is indeed the case), was pleading his case for him. She spoke of teamwork, of camaraderie. She wanted to help him and this little forgotten sliver of the city, which is more than he could say about the ponies he's flat out begged on occasion. It nearly brought a tear to his eye. But, ever the thespian, he thought her words needed a little something extra. A little oomph.

So he whistled. It was a marching tune, composed by Thoroughbred native Sunset Ridge, during a period of military unrest in Equestria highlighted by chocolate rain. Lovely.

While in Equestria there are some indigenous spices being enjoyed at roadside food carts, the majority grown (as well as imported) come from the other side of the planet. And in their journeys across the sea, a lot of things can happen. Exposure to the elements, mishandling, the list goes on. These are things that can ruin the culinary potential of the little barks and seeds and berries that would otherwise jazz up a soup or salad. So, assuming the dealer of this Kaffa tea is serious in his business, he would be looking for places devoid of unnecessary light, air, moisture and heat. He would also be constantly moving, as the shelf life of spices drops considerably if ground as opposed to whole.

The other four were in agreement with Dusty as he explained his trade. Meanwhile, Mr. Quill was multitasking yet again, taking in all that rustic wisdom and quickly shuffling through deeds. He was searching looking for recently purchased properties that would meet a spice farmer's standards for proper storage. The bad news is that there were many. The good news is Curtain Call was a local of Central Avenue, immediately disregarding some of the selections, claiming they made little sense. Some were off of long winding back roads, others placed too close to a city park and some were just too far away. The choices were narrowed down to three. The chase may have been over before it began.

But Morning Glory recognized option number two. She was there. Not too long ago, even. As, inadvertently, she oversaw the construction of an expansion taking place next door. It was where she caught her breath when the Masquerade scared her stupid. She couldn't recall much, what with the panic and all, but... maybe there were lights on?

There was the clink of locking metal, the sweep and flourish of fabric and one delicate little pluck from the hooves of the Princess and standing before them again was the spirit that plagued them all night.

We have our heading, then. We find these crooks. We bring them. We protect the peace. I am at your service then, Captain”, he said with the spook turned on. “And I have found that there are few places I cannot creep into, these days. But before we go”, the spook was turned off. “I simply cannot let you”, you being Dusty, “outside dressed like that. There's no drama in it. No pizazz. No... spice, if you will. Would the rest of you excuse us? I need to take my dear brother to wardrobe. Won't be a moment!

The rags that were all Dusty had to his name (sans colossal weapon) were lovingly stitched together into one large poncho, perfect for catching the wind for cool poses and keeping warm in the coming months. Under that was a striking blue replica pea coat, soft to the touch with lots of room to move around in, with a bright red domino mask under that stetson for contrast. As it turns out, Curtain Call is equally skilled with a sewing needle. He was hiding the giddiness in his voice, perhaps a little too eager to show off his latest project: a hero.

Nonpareil.

If there was one word that summed up Quill Pusher more than 'bureaucratic,' it was 'bourgeoisie.' He was born to a class that distrusted and detested extravagance and uncleanliness, that kept to conventions like sacred trusts, and without whom civic life would be an absolute impossibility. That is to say, he could acknowledge the justice of Morning Glory's remarks, but he was not impressed or greatly stirred.

"It is indeed Naive. I wouldn't give two bits for his story if he didn't have the evidence to back it up. But he does, so I will trust, and I will help." He ruffled through the papers again, conjuring up a few blank sheets to sketch out a map of where their leads were pointing to. He raised his mask from his face in order to see without obstruction, which symbolized better than any words could of his new trust. In the meantime, he was listening to Dusty and Nightguard. "I myself was taught that I ought never to be afraid to sign my own real name to anything I was responsible for. Give way on that principle, and it's a short road to, well." And he waved a hoof towards the stack of papers that evidenced the corruption of the city. "I will wear my mask by night as I wear my necktie by day, as part of the uniform of my station and duty. But it is death to civic life when its security is dependent upon the anonymous."

After all, there was no real tradition of those with secret identities being the protectors of a city. No tales of masked and caped heroes were told in foalhood, or printed on cheap paper to sell on newstands yet. Pagemaster rose from his position, shaking himself. "Anyhow, I've narrowed down a few sites-" But he was struck silent, and slightly dumbfounded, by Curtain Call's sudden sartorial rush at Dusty, and stood, staring, at the whirl of activity and its results.

"Wait, wha-?"

And that was the last thing the worker stallion said before being whisked away by the artistically inspired stallion. A few minutes passed as the farmer was no longer in sight.. before the work of the Thespian was finally revealed. Stepping out into the figurative limelight Dusty felt a tinge of red cross his dark-brown cheeks as his new setup was shown to the remainder of the group; certainly a lot more... colorful then he was used to. The coat and the poncho were fine enough but the mask seemed a bit.. well, strange. Then again, they lot of them were strange ponies in general, as heroes tended to be.. he could make this work!

"Well.. Ah guess this feels better.. not exactly hard to spot, though."

MorningGlory.png

Morning Glory watched the impressive sight as Pagemaster moved through the paperwork with the utmost of ease.

Well, I wish I'd had him in the lab, too!

Doc, just a quick aside, is there any stallion you don't want to get into your lab?

There was no response, yet somehow, Bravado had the impression that Doc was hiding and blushing furiously. Ha! Good, a little peace and quiet.

Oh, wait a minute. "There!" Morning Glory broke in, suddenly recognizing one of the sites. "I was there just a little bit ago when I was ... uh ... relocating out of range of the organ's effects. Something was definitely going on there. There were lights, and ponies arriving. I didn't think anything of it at the time. Wow, that's ... kinda far from here. I didn't realize I had ... relocated so far."

She squirmed a little at Captain Nightguard's pointed look, her wings spreading then folding in again in a self-conscious gesture. She was suddenly very aware of the small itches of feathers out of place, and how her mane had gotten tousled in the previous fight, and every little imperfection that showed she wasn't a consummate professional at this duty. She wagered he'd never seen Princess Luna at anything but her best, even when she'd just finished battling terrible beasts from beyond ... but Morning Glory was hardly going to start preening now.

"Well, I am pretty good at fighting, as you saw ..." She glanced at Captain Nightguard and shifted again, getting the feeling that he wouldn't agree ... "And with my magic, I can lift things, and, um ... well, I've managed to kinda blow stuff up, though I didn't mean to, and I think I can repeat that on purpose this time... Oh! But I can make a shield!" She cleared her throat. "I haven't really ... practiced much with my horn yet. I ... only started really focusing on it recently." Like, since she got it. "But if we run into any weird devices or artifacts, hey, I'm your pony!"

She was taken aback as Curtain Call whisked Stone Heart away to the green room, but it quickly became obvious what was up as he returned, and couldn't help a giggle bubbling up in her throat at the pink in his cheeks that just begged for a little razzing. She lifted her hoof and gave it a little twirl. "Turn around, let us see it all," she teased him. "Strut it!"

Yeah, work it!

Morning Glory blushed a bit as Doc Stein's mental addition made her remember exactly what she looked like right now...

Captain Nightguard nods a bit as everyone seems to go upon the plans, his ears twitching a bit as he thinks over the area, each piece of information coming down to one location that needed to be looked at. "Seems to me that we need to get any information about this organization, and our Pagemaster over here will be perfect rooting to the bottom of it. And I want to get this kaffa to you Stone Heart to see what you think on it." he looks to a map to examine where the attack needs to happen.

The Captain looks up when Stone Heart is suddenly scurried away long enough to be given a costume. During this, he listens to Morning Glory, nodding to what he expects on the fighting and... what? "Wh-what do you mean you've not practiced with your horn yet?" face mostly hidden by the mask doesn't even disguise the incredulousness to him, where he just shakes his head and goes back to planning. He nods a bit at the new costume made "Interesting outfit, what with possibly dealing with the police, that's a good idea for the mask." He turns back to Morning Glory calling in the tease. This time, the expression is as unreadable as his helmet over his face, just giving a long stare before turning back to the map. "Oooookay then. ANYways! I want to take in multiple routes to this place. Morning Glory, you and I will be fastest, I want us passing and swinging around to return to this place. You I want high up, I assume you've got the eyesite of a pegasus... I hope..." he thinks, going back to the horn "I want you being overall lookout for what's coming and to get our attentions if we need to abort. I will stick to the rooftops, trying to minimize the use of the pack that gives me away and get closer in."

He then points to Dusty and Quill "You two are our most important investigators in this, I want you two coming up these streets." he gestures at two with plenty of hiding spots on the way "Move quick as well and meet here and here." he points at two spots "Curtain, You're going to need to be the first scout in to give us a lay of the land. Certainly we could barge our ways in, but as long as there's no new dead bodies or threats of one, I want to know what kind of monster it is we are facing. That's why I want you getting in first. If all is clear and ready to go in, Me, Pagemaster and Stone Heart should all be in what you told me teleporting range is, and we can get in, and from above, Morning Glory will see us and know when it's time to move." he hehs softly "Of course, if you get in there and it gets messy, make a lot of noise, I know you can do that... We'll come in full strength." He stands up "This building has been working from earlier when someone put a second hole in your wall... we are wasting valuable moonlight if we want to catch them. Is there any questions?"

MorningGlory.png

Morning Glory's cheeks flamed red at Captain Nightguard's disbelief. "Well, I've been working on practicing my flying," she said, a bit defensively. "I only got a teacher for my horn recently. I do have SOME practice!"

Can we ... just tell him we weren't an alicorn before a couple weeks ago?

I dunno. What if that news gets out, and it becomes some clue that ponies use to figure out who I am? Does anyone know where alicorns come from? I mean, do we even know where Celestia and Luna came from?

Well, they ... uh ... they were ... just suddenly there. I actually don't know how.

"Anyway, yeah, I can see great. I have all the abilities of all three races, and then some - I just don't have the experience with all of them yet. I can totally play Sky Team, and zip in where I'm needed. You three are Ground Team, and I guess ... heh. I guess we have an earth pony as Striker." She gestured at The Masquerade. "We run a Stealth Trojan play and Four-Two the defense, drawing their Striker out. Then we Blitz." Having put the plans in terms she understood, she nodded. "Makes sense to me. Let's do this."

What ... what the blazes did you just say? I didn't understand any of that! And you're not worried about THAT giving you away?

It was just basic hoofball, Doc. Everypony likes hoofball.

While he was not so quick with the spoken word as he was with the written, Pagemaster was usually able to follow conversation at any pace or level of discussion. But Morning Glory may as well have been talking Prench for all he understood. Heck, Quill Pusher had studied that language more in school than he ever had the intricacies, or even the basics, of sport. And that wasn't even taking into account the fact that what he did understand left grave doubts about her capabilities and attitude.

"I..." He looked at the alicorn for a good long minute, and then shook his head as in despair of understanding or explaining. He turned to captain Nightguard. "Well, you would specialize in tactics, as you say, and I'm willing to accept my role in that plan. As the timetable goes, we'll only be able to check the most likely site, and we shall have to proceed rapidly if we are to do even that." He resettled his mask with a little magic, and clamped down his bowler more firmly upon his head. Lifting a sheaf of paper, he straightened it out with a tap upon the floor that resounded strongly for such a small sound, like the cocking of a gun barrel. "I am ready."

Curtain Call has always been one to appreciate enthusiasm. In his line of work, building excitement for what's yet to come is half the battle. Be it joy or rage or fear, the most important part of any show is that emotional resonance with the audience. After all, that feeling that stirs within you as you're watching the performance of a lifetime? That is what you take with you. You may not remember the show or the song, but you will remember how you felt. So, while this theatre nerd had absolutely no clue as to what in the heck Princess Morning Glory was saying, he certainly liked how she said it.

My dear, I have never seen a game of hoofball in my life. But I have played Jaybird in our production of 'The Year Canterlot Lost the Pennant'! Nearly sold out, that one. Ahh, good times. Anyway. No questions, my Captain. And as for you”, he stepped up to the Alicorn, dropping his disguise only briefly so that he might give the lovely mare a kiss on the cheek. “Thanks for believing in me.

The slippery bugger was gone again, in a flash. Those swift of foot or wing who wished to keep tabs on him would see him up in the balcony, pushing a yet undamaged seat cushion under his dear uncle's head. The older pony was still dead asleep, his snoring sounding like two jagged rocks grinding together. Such a horrible noise was only interrupted once, as his dear nephew explained the situation in brief, to which the response was “G'bye boys! Have fun storming the castle!”. And then back to sleep he went.

The rogue then, looking out into that big gaping hole in the wall left by a clumsy oaf of an Alicorn, contemplated the unknown for a moment or two. He considered how far he had come on his own and how much farther he would need to go. He feared briefly, about whether or not he could trust the four downstairs, and whether or not he could be worthy of theirs. Standing alone in the crisp Autumn air, the stallion was, admittedly, afraid. But distracted. In the corner of his eye, he saw from a building much taller than his, a flagpole with the Equestrian colors waving proud. Suddenly, all the buzz in his head was gone, leaving only a single thought...

I wonder if could swing from that.

The first rule of the Scenes Songs and Steps theatre is the show must go on. Come rain, come snow, come sleet, the show must go on! And tonight, for the viewing pleasure of four masked heroes and anypony looking out their window when they should be sleeping, is the first night to see an Earth Pony fly. The ice up his sleeve does well to stick to walls, safely securing the cable attachment. If more height is needed between swings, he simply vanishes again, reappearing where best to fire the next line. He's doing very well for himself, zipping across the city, considering he's never done this before.

The stallion's cheeks burned a brighter red as Morning Glory seemed to be getting a little bit too into his miniature fashion show! Clearing his throat again the work horse kept his composure as best as he could, turning that large stetson down to cover his face.. lips making the ever telling wiggling, bashful motion. "Ah-ah think we're all better off with me not doing that, miss Glory.." he commented quietly.

Thankfully the conversation seemed to switch away from his newly acquired attire and back to the matter at hand, to which Dusty raised his head again to peer around the group from the rims of his hat. That -was- until Morning Glory once again began to speak about a topic that most seemed unfamiliar with.. terms and names that flew straight over the farmer's head.

"...well either way, just tell me what yall need me to smack down. I can get you yur facts on spice farming for hints on this Kaffa stuff, but.. well that's about all I'm useful for intel wise." a simply pony for sure.. but what he did practice, he was ****ed good at. Taking his staff and resting it upon his back once more, Dusty approached the group on all fours, gaze hidden behind the red mask upon his face, "Ah'm ready to go when yall are."

And it seemed he wasn't the only one.. as when the group was preparing to leave the thespian Curtain Call suddenly pulled a handy trick; grapple swinging out from the theatre and over the rooftops until he was out of sight.. huh.

What did she say? I mean... I played hoofball some, but that sounded professional... I think I would have heard of an alicorn playing professionally though... he just glances to the group and shakes his head.

Which before he can try to translate after her speech, Masquerade had already exited, making it up to the stage he sees the pony's exit, further cementing into the guards mind that pony has lost his mind "You... just had to call him the striker." he sighs a moment "Okay. You guys know your position. I have right here the single best potential I've had for a team in assault. Which is funny as covert would be best. Heh, if wishes were bits. But when things go south... it's simple." he points at Pagemaster "Shield," he saw how he took a full hit by an alicorn with little damage. He points at Stone Heart "Sword," the pony has proven to be willing to face anything and attempt to strike it down if necessary. He points at himself "Lancer," he has the range and mobility to be in any fight he needs to be in. He points at Morning Glory, then waves his hoof a moment, searching for a good word "aaaaaahhhh... Demolitions. When you notice trouble... I want you coming in with all the force that Luna, Celestia, and all the Royal Canterlot Guard has when coming down for Sombra's head. All of you know where to be... we shouldn't let our dagger go without us. He'll be ready to teleport us in."

He looks about the room as he opens his wings wide, locking them in place with a click, then announces with a grin riding on his voice "See you all in the fray!" and with a swirl of aurora Captain Nightguard jets straight up to one of the empty luxury boxes, landing long enough to angle through the door, using the momentum to slide into the hallway, activating his jets on full burn and flying out of the second story hole in the wall. While he said the idea was to circle around, his circle is less around and high arcing over, flying at full climb into the night sky until way over the target building before starting his descent, landing on a rooftop and turning around, running back to the target, using his jets only sparingly now to keep him out of site, just allowing him to make jumps -just- a little to far for him until he gets to the planned rendezvous.

• 3 weeks later...

MorningGlory.png

Morning Glory blinked in surprise at everypony's reactions. Was ... was she in a group of superhero nerds, or something? NONE of them had ever watched a hoofball game? Not even listen on the radio in the background a little? Doc's giggle in the back of her mind wasn't helping. "Ummm... right. So ... " It was a good thing hoofball wasn't the only thing in her life. Just was central to getting her cutie mark. Or ... well, she supposed not entirely. She had a second cutie mark moment. Stop getting distracted! Focus! Bad guys!

"Right, then, I'll just-"

Curtain Call's kiss came along with a shrill squee of delight in the back of Morning Glory's mind, and her face turned red and flushed. She stammered out a little bit, feeling decidedly surreal about all of this. She shook her head to try to clear it. This was ... going to take a LOT of getting used to. Morning Glory didn't usually hang around long enough for anyone to hold a conversation with her! "I'll meet you all there." She stammered hurriedly, "Good luck, everypony."

She funneled up the stairway with the rest, and followed Captain Nightguard for a short time, her wings spreading and keeping up easily with him - but where he arced back down, she kept upwards so she could perch atop that construction site again, where she'd stopped the last time. It had been a good perch, and she wanted to make sure she didn't miss anything.

It really shouldn't have come as a surprise that Masquerade's exit from the theater took the form that it did, given that the pony's entrance had been of a precisely similar manner. And while it was unusual, Pagemaster had to admit, it was very far from being impractical under the circumstances. "Perhaps, Miss Glory, there might be room for another on your... 'sky team,' as it were."

Whether there was or no, he didn't push the point. He himself was very much the ground team, and thus he was with Dusty. "Well, so much for flash exits; I suppose we're going to have to walk... or possibly catch a cab." It seemed rather artistically inappropriate, and he wasn't looking forward to having to explain to a cabbie what two masked ponies wanted with his vehicle. No, without natural or articifial wings, they'd have to hoof it. And so they did, right out the front door, and down the streets towards the warehouse...

Everypony seemed to have some fancy form of leaving.. well, save for him and Pagemaster it seemed. The worker stallion huffed a little as the rest of the group literally flew on ahead, leaving him and the be-robed stallion to hoof to the meet up sight. Two ponies in masks and bright, colorful outfits (well, at least in the farmer's case) wouldn't exactly be the text book definition of subtle.. so this would be an odd night to be sure.

"Well.. ain't nopony gettin' anywhere bah standin' here." he commented before following out the front door, staff on back, ready to traverse the town toward the warehouse.. this was going to be interesting.

The collective hunch of the five heroes was spot on; the fixer-upper of a warehouse they suspected was abuzz with life. From the sky lights on the roof he crept about on, The Masquerade could see many a pony wide awake and making merry. At first glance the get-together seemed innocent, but among the party goers were off duty police officers, still in uniform but with their neckties finally loosened after a long day of work. Others were in suits, cleaned and pressed and looking far too expensive to be worn in this part of the neighborhood. Among the suits was a solitary Unicorn, white with a bowl cut green mane. He was wafer thin, a stark contrast to the corrective lenses he wore. Seriously, you could crack rocks with those things. He was busying himself with the counting and sorting of the largest pile of bits Curtain Call had ever laid eyes upon.

Though he would never admit it, the actor’s mouth watered a little as he imagined all that pile of gold could do; the renovations and repairs to the theatre, the players he could book, the meals he could eat … No! To succumb to such temptations would be unthinkable. Except he'd already thought of it. NO! He admitted to being a sly one. You had to be in this city. And yes, he had committed a theft here and there. But to entertain those kinds of thoughts would make him the biggest heel he knew. There were wrongs being done, and not just to him, so he swallowed his pride (and his greed, though they made an even worse meal than popcorn) and went to work righting them.

With his mask, the shadowy figure up on the roof willed himself invisible. He swirled his cloak around himself, and when it passed, there was no pony. And then there was no cloak. Within the walls of the warehouse, he first observed how little had actually been done to the place since its purchase - only a few tables and lamps dotted the place, almost exclusively for playing cards. Other than that, the place was empty. They hadn’t even swept! But that smell ... what was that smell? It was everywhere. It was appetizing. A rich aroma, sweet and nutty and completely unlike anything the struggling stallion had ever given whiff to before. His stomach could not help but rumble a message - loosely translated from rumblese: <Investigate that heavenly scent!>

A trio of bushes, each as tall as he, were potted in a row behind the busy accountant’s desk. Among those bright green leaves were clusters of … well, Curtains did not recognize the plants so he had no idea. They looked like grapes, plump and colored a blush red if they were ripe. He assumed ripe, as each tree had its own wicker basket full of the little beauties, all freshly harvested. Several disappeared unseen into the pockets of an invisible tuxedo, as the farmer would want to be getting a look at these. Set up safely away from the foliage was an elaborate multistage cooking process complete with incredibly detailed instructions written and left behind by one ‘Dr. P'. The rogue attempted a quick study but ... wow. Complicated. He gave up after the subsections of step 2, 'size of the grind'. He suddenly wished syrup for the house soda fountain was still in the budget.

But there, spread out on a separate table buffet style was the result. Kaffa tea. A muddy black beverage that was stinking up this room so beautifully, and was apparently valuable enough to turn Thoroughbred into a cesspool. While it was definitely the star of tonight's show, this drink shared the spotlight potluck style, as the police had brought their own accompaniments. Cream and sugar and a few other assorted spices personalized each pony's mug, while a rainbow of pastries came in bags and take-out boxes. Curtain's stomach rumbled in agony, unable to remember the last time he had a beignet.

Your average beat cop doesn't need much to keep Thoroughbred streets clean. Wisdom, courage and the occasionally call for back-up suffice most of the time. For the stickier situations, one good bop on the brainbox from a trusty baton brings down even the burliest of baddies. Then the cuffs are on and the day is saved. It's not fancy. It's not magic. So why in Celestia's name is Curtain Call seeing magic - real and true Unicorn nonsense - sparking off of a copper's billy club like it was a cloud spitting lightning? And why did each of these off duty police have one of their very own? The phantom investigated further, eavesdropping in on a few conversations.

“Ain't gonna have any problems on the street no more!”

“You see what this thing did to that one guy's skull?”

“No way the chief can find out about this.”

“Oh boy. I am so sick of running. I don't care who this Doctor is.”

“How much are we getting paid again?”

Curtain Call had heard enough. He was already losing faith in this burg without the thought of these fiends being the ones to defend the streets he called home. Wait. No. That wasn't fair. These mares and stallions deserve the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they were just like him; backed into a corner. They're only in this because the 'Doctor' is making them an offer they can't refuse. These are not bad ponies. They just made a bad decision.

Right? He hoped so.

He took a quick headcount of twelve off duty officers, four larger ponies in suits and one accountant. He took note of their inventory; in that only the officers seemed to be armed with this new technology. And finally, he took his leave-

Invisibility is a nice trick, isn't it?

What? Who said that?

Suddenly Curtain Call was a blank flank all over again. Just a stagehoof. A dumb kid who should not have been on stage when the drapes decided to finally give way and tumble to the floor, suddenly exposed to hundreds of ponies and their judging eyes. His heart stopped then and his heart stopped now. The difference being now; he couldn't tap dance his way out of trouble.

Bet you thought you were being pretty sneaky, huh! Don't know how you got in without my crew spottin' ya. But it don't matter! I could smell the two bits you have on you the minute you popped inside!

The shrimpy Unicorn's horn began to glow a shimmering gold. The heaping piles of money in the room did the same. There was a low rumble and a high pitched jingle as what was probably over a thousand pounds worth of coinage moved as fluid as water, as unified as a swarm of bees. Their command was to stack, to become one solid mass, to build a great wall of wealth to surround and ensnare the Masquerade. Impressive. Intimidating. But not precise, Curtains noticed. Trying out a hunch, he hugged the wall.

The name is Maxie Million and that move just cost ya”, he quipped, his voice sounding like he needed desperately to blow his nose.

Ugh. Boss. That's not going to be a catch phrase, is it?”, one of the suits chimed in, a short but stocky mare in a chestnut coat and bright copper mane who could probably knock down that steadily growing wall with just her forehead.

SHUT IT, Penny!” He was blushing. “Y-you and the girls get the eavesdropper and smash him! Now! What am I paying you for! Hmph!

He commanded more than gold, it seemed. The four sisters, all powerful looking mares, began to scour the encirclement in search of their invisible target. To demonstrate their might, occasionally one would stomp a factual hole into the concrete floor or slam a hoof into the golden cage, a cascade of coin flying everywhere. When the boss said 'smash', he wasn't kidding. Pity they didn't begin their search behind the boss. Or they might not have wasted those few minutes looking in all the wrong places.

She's right, you know. The catch phrase does need work.

Maxie turned in disbelief. There was no way this creep could get by him, magically hidden or otherwise. But sure enough, there was the ghastly white pony in opera regalia, sitting casually in the accountant's chair. He was flipping one of the two coins that first betrayed his position but then allowed him to gain a new one. Easy come, easy go. He tossed them both against Maxie's skull.

The Ma- The Masq-” If there was color in Maxie's coat, he would have lost it just now.

I have heard, but not believ'd, the spirits of the dead may walk again~

THE MASQUERADE! IT'S HERE! A thousand bits to the pony who gets rid of it!

The thought of fighting more than a dozen naughty ponies was an unappealing one. Though a private rough-and-tumble with those four sisters, on the other hoof... Nevermind. With a twirl of his cloak, he was gone again, stepping into the space that occupied that convenient little miniature stove, still lit and hot after a long night of berry roasting. That fire, while big enough to heat a cast iron skillet, was still just a baby. With complete disregard for warning labels, he traded the pan for a spare can of cooking oil, still sealed. In no time at all, Curtain Call made a bomb. It probably woke up a city block.

How's that for a signal, Captain?

That'll do, pony. That'll do.

At the signal being so obviously set off (rather hard to miss a bang that loud), the hooves of the workerstallion brought himself up to a bi-pedal stance once more; forehooves gripping about the great, iron endowed staff and brought one end to point in front of and upward before him.

"I ain't no actin' stallion, but.. I reckon that's our que." his words were simple, to the point, and perhaps laced with a tad bit of eagerness. After all the only thing he had gotten to bash ths evening was an eroding brick wall that felt more like a mass of wet paper to his strike.. perhaps a concrete wall that was freshly renovated would suffice a better challenge, as well as whatever lay beyond it of course.

The search of the four sisters within the warehouse and their battle against the newly revealed Masquerade (Curtain Call... the show boat) was abruptly interrupted by what could only be described as a song of metal crashing through the hard labor and potential dreams of construction crews and revitalizing architects echoing throughout the block as with a swipe of that massive staff the wall shattered and crumbled.

Stetson on head, eyes hidden behind its rims, pancho flowing in the light wind and staff perched upon his shoulder the stallion hobo-turned-vigilante trudged slowly through the crumbles debris and clouds of dust and crushed stone. His head raised slowly as he peered toward his opponents.. Four mares all looking powerful and tough and a stallion standing in stark contrast with a frail, almost pittiable looking fasique.. Well at least the former four could prove interesting.

With one fore leg holding that staff the other free hoof raised to push the rim of his hat upward just enough to make his narrowed, soft eyes visible. "Not a bad place y'all got here... though, seems tuh be missin' some'uh the foundations now." he commented in as smarmy a way he could muster through that thick southern accent. With that, his free hoof clung to the mass of wood and iron and brought the mighty weapon before him... And its heavy metal ends sung against the air as he brandished it around his form, locking himself into a defensive stance.

"...care ta tangle with someone yur own match, ladies?" he addressed the four, preparing for a brawl..

((Envoking the Rule of 2-Cool-4-School to bust down the wall and entering that Defensive staff power before initiative is rolled next post!))

Captain Nightguard sat on top of the building overlooking the warehouse. He had already looked over the outside to best he could for its structure and closed his eyes to patiently wait for Masquerade to teleport him inside. That's when the explosion happened. The Captain just simply let out a long long sigh and muttered something about o-plans surviving initial contact and looked to the building for his entry. While looking to the windows, he saw the familiar pony decide to make his own entrance and lets out a small impressed whistle "Okay... I appreciate his direct approach."

Matching thoughts of entry the Captain locks his wings into open position, running to leap off the building, aiming directly at one of the open windows he fires his cannons to at the windows, letting the crackle of lightning to shatter the glass before he lands in the opening, taking long enough to find the densest pocket of ponies and firing the cannons near them for all the sound and fury to catch their attention and calling out to the warehouse "Any pony who wishes to be able to walk away tonight had best leave NOW!"

((This post is brought to you by the sound of thunder. If you REALLY need to get someones attention, always look to using thunder for all your intimidation needs. Please contact the weather service for more information.

Going for the intimidate check which should be a +10 without any situational modifiers))

Dramatic entrances hardly suited Pagemaster; his serious and stoic nature could have suited a much more tragic backstory than he possessed. As it was, this was only just another part of his job. He took care of Memos in the morning, and megalomaniacs at night.

"I ain't no actin' stallion, but.. I reckon that's our que."

With a smile an 'after you' gesture, the paper-wielding unicorn replied, "Break a leg. Ah, but not yours." That was about the only bit of theater slang he could clain familiarity with, but he couldn't deny that Dusty's entrance was suitably dramatic. In fact, pretty much everypony's entrance was accompanied by some kind of explosion or yelling. Masquerade had his impromptu bomb, and the Captain called down the thunder!

As mentioned before, this wasn't Quill Pusher's style. While everypony inside was still reeling with bleeding eardrums, the masked civil servant bustled in with the cool politeness of the tax pony. "Excuse me, pardon me, coming through. Hello, Swing Beat, how's the foals?" Nodding to one officer who's face he recognized, and tipping his hat politely to one of the four mares, "Appointment with your boss," he simply trotted along as far as he could before everypony realized what was up. The cloud of paper rustled behind him, ready at an instant to be drawn into a protective shield if need be.

But it was likely that the others, when they arrived, would be prioritized as the greater threats; although Maxie looked like the sort that would fear auditors more than any other creature in Equestria...

Force-field power readied. I suppose that his just walking through would be a Bluff check at +0, with 14 charisma.

MorningGlory.png

Morning Glory clung to the girders of the construction site, looking down into the facility patiently. One needed a lot of patience in college ... though as she clung, she started thinking of all that wonderful sleep she was missing. How long had it been since she had a decent night's sleep? Sigh. Meanwhile, Doc was very, very excited.

Did you see him? Wasn't he dreamy?

Bravado wasn't even sure which 'him' Doc was talking about. He wasn't sure she was staying on one of them, either.

Do you think they'll want to do more stuff together after we're done here? Maybe we should suggest it. No, Bravado, you're good at this! You suggest it! Perhaps some team-building exercises, like dinner and a movie? No, no, that's too ... augh! What are we going to do?

Doc, settle. We're going to help Masquerade repair the theatre, and we'll see who else wants to help.

Oh. Oh! That's a great idea! Bravado, tell me the truth, do you think he likes me?

Morning Glory was never so grateful for an explosion in her life. Well, there was the signal for the rest of the team! She watched their entrances enviously, and then spread her great wings and glided down to the building, perching just outside of the Captain's skylight entrance and staying in the dark night while peering carefully into the room. OK, crooked cops, check. A few nice looking mares, nothing special about them. Had the mares been building play castles out of bits? And for the flame's sake, why? Masque was talking with some skinny dweeb. Well, nothing that everypony else couldn't handle. She'd sit here and wait for something dangerous to happen... She would show them she could follow a plan! No jumping in without knowing what's happening this time!

Oooo, look how sleek Masquerade looks. Like he's got everything handled. Keep an eye on him. Oh, no, check out Captain Nightguard! Ooo, what power and tech! He's so handsome! Love it when colts have such nice toys ... No, wait, look at how cool and collected Pagemaster is! Now there's a pony with some pizzaz! Gotta love a stallion who can handle his paperwork... No, wait, look at Dusty! He sure cleans up nicely. And look at those muscles flexing. Rowr.

Doc, the things I didn't need to know about what goes on in your head all the time...

• 2 weeks later...

Did you know that ponies with guilty consciences are more easily startled by loud noises? It’s just a fun little science fact that the Thoroughbred police department have discovered for themselves just now. Without warning, there was fire and thunder and a rumbling Earth. Judgment has come for these ponies who would abuse their power and privilege for personal gain. These ponies who, as the dust settled around a quartet of invaders, felt like their hearts would leap from their chests and skip town. Most had only seen these characters from a rooftop away or heard rumors from a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy who knew a guy. Never once did they imagine being on the receiving end of vigilante justice.

“Care ta tangle with someone yur own match, ladies?”

“Any pony who wishes to be able to walk away tonight had best leave NOW!”

The thought of not having one’s legs broken and then dragged helpless before Internal Affairs was a tempting one. So, with a resounding ‘NOPE’, they all took the Captain’s advice and made a break for the exit.

Fifteen hundred! No, two thousand bits! Each! That’s two thousand bits to all of you if you break every bone in these heroes’ bodies!

The smug in Maxie Million’s voice could clog a sink. He was also unimpressed by such a vulgar display of power. He stood defiant and proud. In his mind, he was commanding an unbeatable army. One that marched on its wallet. From behind his impenetrable fortress called the gold standard, there was nothing he could not accomplish. The officers who were on their way out, already practicing their “Maxie Million? Who’s that?” speech were suddenly back on the wrong side. Some were uneasy and others downright terrified but still, arms were raised against the four capes. Maxie was right. He was commanding an army. One that marched on its wallet.

I’m so sorry, Quill”, spoke Swing Beat, grieving. He could barely keep his baton straight. “But two thousand bits… I need to feed my foals.

Forgive my improvisation, Captain”, spoke the Masquerade as he faded into existence besides by the Bat-pony, making it clear to everyone in the room just whose side he was on. “But it is not often that a ruse I've crafted is found to be so transparent.” He paused for a second and, behind the mask anyway, rolled his eyes, cursing his luck as of late. “Though admittedly, it's becoming more and more frequent.” For the slightest of seconds, the phantom was shrouded in a light fog, just enough to disappear in. When it cleared, a dead ringer for Maxie Million stood there instead.

Invisibility is a nice trick, isn't it?”, he repeated. The impression was perfect. Nonpareil. The original, meanwhile, was taking all sorts of offense to the mockery. The blush on his face was slowly becoming a shade of red rarely found in nature. “But it don't matter. I could smell the two bits you have on you the minute you popped inside!” The disguise faded after that, in another puff of smoke. And, while on the topic of expanding gases, Maxie's head was not unlike a tea kettle: boiling hot and under a great deal of pressure.

Boss? You alright? Lookin' kinda red there? You want I should get one of yer antee-histameens?”, said Farthing. She was the biggest of the four sisters, with a light bronze coat and a speckled mane of white and black and a darker brown. “I got 'em right here somewhere...”, she added, fumbling around inside her jacket pockets seeking a bottle of pills.

NO!”, he screamed. He would suffer this mockery no longer! “I MEAN YES! LATER! LISTEN YA MOOKS! I SAID GET RID OF THEM SO WHY IN THE BUCK AREN'T THEA-AH-AAAAAH-CHOO!” To be fair, Dusty did kick up a lot of his namesake crashing through masonry like that. “Pills, please. Kill them. Pills first.

(( Initiative time! The post order is as follows: Captain rolls a 19. Morning Glory rolls a 17. The Quarterhorse Sisters, who will be treated as a single character for the sake of keeping things tidy, roll a 15. The dozen cops, also a single entity, minion rules apply, roll a 14. The Masquerade rolls an 11. Dusty Roads 10. Maxie Million 6. Pagemaster 4. ))

The Captain lets out a snort when Maxie Million calls out what he's willing to pay, and seeing the police return back. He had hoped to get rid of some of them to make this fight so much easier. The level of smug that he uses in his declarations, and that look on his face just is inspiring the bat pony's anger. Swing Beat saying such about his foals makes him frown, because he's putting them in more danger about him coming back.

He only blinks a moment when Masquerade appears next to him "I see. Well, no operation plan ever survives initial contact." he voice just enough so that he may be heard by the show pony, smirking at the anger of the unicorn down below, his wings spreading wide and locking in position "You're going to have to be the one to keep us from getting ganged up on. Become something of these police ponies night terrors. But do remember, you're fighting the monsters... do not become the monster."

He starts to take aim on Swing Beat, to prove to those listening to the excuse wrong and wanting to break moral until he hears the exchange between the mare and Maxie, how he quickly goes from ordering their deaths to asking for the pills. I see, so he's going to have issues without them. And she's the one to help. His sights change for who the target is.

He lets out a loud declaration aimed at Maxie "So, you seem to have an army..." and with a step, his jets come on, zooming straight down to the warehouse floor in that empty point from where the police had started out, his horseshoes sparking when he makes contact with the ground and slides, turning sideways to aim at Farthing and unleashes both cannons at her before turning and taking off with a blast of aurora to move away from all combatants and land before the wall away from them, a smirk in his voice he finishes his thoughts "We have an alicorn." and he hopes Morning Glory takes that as the signal.

((Fly-by action to allow for move-shoot-move and I -LOVE- improved initiative =D ))

MorningGlory.png

Morning Glory peered cautiously in through the skylight of the warehouse, keeping an eye on the situation without giving away her presence. So, according to The Masquerade, that little shrimp over there could see through invisibility by detecting ... coins? Glory's experienced Hoofball eye was keeping watch on the whole field - avenues of movement, possible plays ... meanwhile, Glory's analytical mind was studying the structure. Primary supports, secondary supports, load-bearing walls ... disposable walls ...

Wait. Captain Nightguard had said he wanted her to come in like the princesses after Sombra. But how had the princesses entered? She didn't remember that detail. She'd assumed he meant full-forward assault, but what if he meant making a regal entrance and demanding surrender? Or some sort of diplomacy? Her mind raced over possibilities.

Doc, how did the princesses first approach Sombra?

I dunno, I don't really keep up on current events.

Doc ... that was years and years ago. I remember learning about it in secondaries.

Kid, when you get to my age, 'Current Events' is rather a broad category.

Luckily, that was cut short by Captain Nightguard's actions. Doc squealed in the back of Glory's mind about how heroic Captain Nightguard looked, snarking off to the villains that way. Bravado's observation was more along the lines of noting that the Captain was designating Glory's primary targets and point of entry as he fired upon Farthing.

Glory's broad wings spread and backflapped, sending her back off of the rooftop and into the air. She twisted in mid-air and, with a couple quick strokes of her wings, a couple blocks away and looping around in a quick one-eighty, her shield tucked close to her to reduce its wind resistance. While her broad wings moved mightily to send her flying down the street, her galloping hooves reached down to lightly touch over the earth. At the slight touch, she could feel the surge of strength rush up into her, and had a faint sense of the earth magic flowing out of her at the same time, the subtle new earth pony magic she didn't fully understand yet.

Ba-da-da-thump

Her hooves beat a quick four-part staccato against the ground as she sped along the street towards the warehouse, tiny sprouts erupting from the cobblestones every time her hooves touched down. All the flower boxes in the windows along the street suddenly burst into full bloom.

ba-da-da-thump

She grinned despite the grim situation to feel the power in her wings. She would never grow tired of being able to fly like this. Half a mile away, a freshly cute, neatly trimmed front yard suddenly surged with growth, the blades of grass growing to two feet tall in moments.

ba-da-da-thump

Even further away, a small vegetable garden tucked away in somepony's back yard suddenly had a whole crop of tiny green budding tomatoes swell to full size and ripeness. Glory turned the shield at her shoulder towards the front, hiding behind it as she approached the non-load-bearing (she hoped) wall of the warehouse. Just like checking in hoofball, except no refs calling unneccessary roughness.

ba-da-da-thump

Inside the warehouse, Captain Nightguard had only had few seconds since his words had rung clearly over the starting battle. To his left, the wall suddenly erupted inwards. On the far side of the warehouse, the wall suddenly erupted outwards. And somewhere in the middle, the second largest of the mares, Penny, suddenly disappeared - and only a trail of floating flower petals, pulled along after Glory's charge, marked where the two mares had been moments ago.

Action: Charge + Rush.
Feat: Accurate Attack: -3 to saves, +3 to hit.
Attack: +3 melee +3 accurate attack = +6 to hit.

Rush bonus:
Strength 32: + 11
Super Strenght 6: +6
Movement Power: +5
Total: +22
(This is basically the bigger sibling to the attack done on Pagemaster earlier. I didn't use a strategy to have her at full strength, then.)

Morning Glory, fluffy juggernaut that she is, continues to channel far more Earth Pony magic than she realizes, even as she makes a Quarterhorse disappear. Within the warehouse itself, the three Kaffa trees drink up her blessing. They go from modest shrubbery to towering tree in no time at all, their massive roots demanding more than small pots can provide, ripping through the masonry and digging into the Earth below. Maxie is the most fascinated by this.

I need to see the Doctor”, he whispers.

(( It's definitely a hit. I'm not even rolling that. Sheesh. Strength check time. In one corner, a D20+22=36. In the other corner, D20+5=23. That's a failure of 13. Some math and arguing happened. Approx. 1250 feet in some direction. It's Penny you hit, by the way. ))

((Meanwhile, on other things that are hits, an attack roll of 16 for the Captain vs a 13 Defense. The resulting toughness save is a failure too, by 8. Stunned and bruised. ))

I know they're in here somewhere... Dumb jacket. Dumb pockets. Who needs this many pockets anyWAY!” If you felt like being generous, you would call Farthing diligent, focusing more on the health and well-being of her employer than the building crumbling around her. Others would simply say she's just a little slow. Her sisters sure do.

Really, squirt? Really?” Penny was certainly having a laugh at her baby sister's expense. Perhaps she was enjoying herself a little too much. Did she care at all for the now sizzling sibling with stars in her eyes? Maybe. But we don't get to find out right now. Rather, in the blink of an eye, she's gone.

(( I think I hate Knockback rules and how they apply damage. Concrete is going to equal stone for these calculations. That first wall Penny hits is Toughness 5, which beats hers. Three damage done and the bruised condition. But wait, there's more. Some two city blocks down, she hits the pavement as well. Same 5 toughness concrete but a -1 to Penny. As it turns out, yes, you can have multiple Bruised conditions. I learned that just now. ))

Ray's Pizzeria, which has been open for twenty some-odd years, has been a good friend to the impoverished off the city since Nightmare Moon. As many citizens could not afford the two Bits for a whole pie, Ray has been instead selling his delectable dish by the slice instead, for as much as each patron could afford. There have been days where a foal could wander in with just a farthing to her name and walk out with a full belly. So it's no surprise that Ray's often has a line going around the block. Tomorrow, when Ray opens up shop tomorrow, he will see a crater in the asphalt just outside his door. He will respond by setting up his “Watch your step!” signs, usually reserved for slippery floors.

For right now, two mares lie in the dirt, one on top of the other. (Settle down, Curtain Call.) The one on the bottom was groaning in pain. Assuming this would be the worst thing to happen to Penny tonight, she would wake up tomorrow sore as the dickens but still functioning. Let's work towards that, she thought.

Get OFFA me, you clumsy ox!” She pulled back her hind legs, like a coiled spring, then let all that strength go. Right into the Alicorn's gut.

(( Power Attack, moving 2 from Attack to Damage. Rolling... 20! The damage is.... a big honking goose egg. That Toughness check.))

If it was not an Alicorn gut, Morning Glory would have suffered from broken ribs and ruptured organs. Such was a blow that could put dents in steel. Fun fact though: Morning Glory is apparently tougher than steel.

So...” she said with a nervous chuckle. “About that whole... clumsy ox thing. You know that was a joke, right? We cool?

Shilling and Sterling were left speechless for just a moment. Getting out-muscled was not something this family was used to. The two little ones (Sterling being the oldest, shortest and topped with a luxurious long blonde mane and Shilling just a wee taller and a wee older, her mane split down the middle, half gray and half a muddy orange) looked to each other for reassurance, offered a hoof-bump then picked their targets.

If you think you can take this bull by the horns” said Shilling as she approached Dusty, mocking his southern drawl in the process. “Y'all better be ready for a ride.” She gave her neck one good pop before she changed right before his eyes. The autumn coat and colorful mane became a glittering silver and there was suddenly more of a thud to each of her steps. Much like her sister, she put her thick hindquarters to use and attempted to buck the Hobo Pony into next Tuesday.

(( Attack roll is 9. Which isn't hitting anything. ))

A massive CLANG rings out in the warehouse, as the Twin Iron Staff takes the blow in its entirety. The weapon is perfectly fine afterward but it's pretending to be a tuning fork for a minute or two. Experience tells Dusty about the other times his dear friend has behaved like this: when striking other metals.

Here, handsome”, Sterling said to Captain Nightgaurd, digging through her pockets for a single Bit, which she offered to the hero as a sign of good faith. “Go easy on me, kay? Go on. Take it.

(( Oh. How fun. A Bluff score of +6 vs a Sense Motive of +6. Highest roll wins. Sterling with an 18! Captain with... 11! Oh, too bad. Might as well slip that coin in your pocket. No reason not to. Hey, it's free money. ))

(( The cops meanwhile, struggling with the imposing threats of the Captain and the mere presence of the Masquerade versus two-thousand bits? I'm going to say that's a dozen officers with the Shaken status. ))

Two. Thousand. Bits. That's what Swing Beat is focusing on as he and his fellow officers raise their magical weapons against these four ponies. Two thousand Bits is worth this. Two thousand could keep his two fillies in school and his wife off the assembly line. But, still, he didn't like this. Letting these thugs run the streets and threaten good ponies wasn't right. Maxie Million was a jerk. The Doctor, he's never even seen, and yet was somehow excellent at barking orders. As he swung with the magic weapon, he could not remember a worse day of his life.

(( Okay. Not sure how to divvy up twelve cops. Let's try, one roll for a group of three. Each group is tackling one of the four heroes still in the building. Against Masqurade, they roll... 10. Misses all around. Against Dusty, 15. Very close. Not enough. Against the Captain, also 15. Also not enough. Against Page, 12. Which IS enough to hit. Good news and bad news. The weapons aren't strong enough to break your shield but Ablative does kick in. An attack each from three cops, your Force Field is broken but you're completely safe. ))

Dusty Roads feels his weapon begin to warm when struck with this glowing baton the cops are using. Pagemaster is not so lucky, as the heat these nightsticks are radiating is burning away at the paperwork he's using to hide behind. It's not long before the office worker is standing on a pile of ashes.

I appreciate the advice, Captain”, the Masquerade growled, casually dancing around those who would try to smash his noggin. “But you're too late.

There's a subtle fog coming from his mask again. And slowly this time, he begins changing again, for the worse. His muzzle warps, suddenly unable to contain all the dagger-like teeth filling and overly long tongue filling his maw; which is contorting into a slobbering and hungry grin. He licks those massive chops, snarling, eying each officer like they were his next meal.

I ALREADY AM A MONSTER!

(( Morph is the free action. That's a +42 to Disguise into your worst nightmare. Assuming your nightmare is ripping off Venom. Fearsome Presence is the standard action. Do the three officers make their Will saves? No. Collectively, they roll a 1. I wish I had more range on this thing. ))

Were Morning Glory here, she would appreciate somepony else being on the receiving of Curtain Call's more potent deliveries. The three who thought they could fight such a thing have realized the terrible mistake they have made. Two thousand bits was not worth this. Two million was not worth this. But maybe, just maybe, it's not too late to escape. They each drop their weapons and run, as fast as their hooves will carry them, howling into the night and praying for Celestia to deliver them from evil.

Archived