[interest check] Traditional-style 1-on-1 pony battle RP

Lovinity

Greetings ponies!

This is an interest check to see if anyone would be interested in traditional style 1-on-1 pony battle role plays. By "traditional", I mean that each pony will have a mini profile of their abilities and spells/attacks. During the 1-on-1 battle, the outcome of each attack is determined using logic and random numbers, which the Game Master keeps track of.

Each pony will have a basic ability profile, which would work like this:

*Each of 5 abilities will have a number, 1 to 10, with 1 being that ability is very weak and 10 is the ability is very strong

*The total of all 5 ability numbers when added up shall not exceed 30, unless consent by both RPers is agreed on for a higher or lower total.

*The abilities will be as follows:

> Speed and Agility - On the offensive side, the higher the number, the less likely it is for your attack to miss the other pony. On the defensive end, the higher the number, the more likely it is for the other pony's attack to miss your pony.

> Strength - On the offensive end, The higher the number, the more damage is possible with your pony's attacks. On the defensive end, the higher the number, the less chance your pony has of taking heavy damage.

> Immunity - The higher the number, the less chance there is of a manipulation spell (such as sickness) from the other pony working on your pony.

> Health - The higher the number, the higher the life cap is for your pony (your pony can handle more damage).

> Energy - The higher the number, the quicker your energy points regenerate each turn, allowing you to more quickly cast more advanced spells and attacks.

*Each pony will have a max of 5 different spells and attacks (combined) that he/she can use in battle (excluding the "mystery amulet"). They will each also have a max of 3 different potions they can use on themselves.

Attacks almost solely do nothing more than damage to the other pony. However they require less energy points than spells. Spells however can do many things, such as damage, reduction in speed / strength / immunity / energy / etc., manipulation, and so on. However they require more energy points than attacks typically.

> Players are allowed to choose what attacks, spells, and potions they will have for their pony. However, the amount of energy points required for the attack / spell, and the number of times each potion can be used, is determined by the game master with the agreement of the player.

> The more damage an attack or spell is capable of, the more energy points it requires.

*There will be a "mystery amulet" that both ponies can use during battle. Basically, it's an extra spell/attack available for use to both ponies. The spell/attack is determined by the game master and is announced before battle begins.

*Unicorns can use their horn for spells. However if a pegasus or Earth Pony wishes to cast spells, he/she must use an amulet, which can be snatched away by the other pony via. the use of a specific attack.

Tell me what you think and if you have any suggestions. If this has interest, I may begin a one-on-one in the FFA for two ponies who sign up. I may do more in the future.

This is no random belief. I roll 1 a minimum of 4 times a session at least once per encounter, or twice in town. I also seem to jinx dice that roll for or against me.

So anyone that challenges me will have the odds in their favor.'

I actually wanted to ask you about the moves. Specifically if knives are allowed.

Anything that Canterlot.com would permit would typically be allowed given it is not too over-powering for the role play and it can work in role play. If a weapon is used, it is not to be portrayed in a graphic way.

As far as dice goes, I'm not quite sure I'll use dice. Given the outcome will be more logic-based (aka. depending on the pony's profile numbers in relations to each other), random number generator might be used instead.

Example. For speed, I was thinking of doing something where the minimum miss rate would be ~13%[10%] and the maximum miss rate would be ~46%[50%].

Suppose a pony has a speed 1, and the other pony has a speed 10.

The logic would be:

Both speed numbers are added together. so in this case, 1 + 10 = 11. When a pony launches an attack, the speed number of the other pony is divided by the total, and then multiplied by 40 (because max miss[50] - min miss[10] = 40), and then 10 is added (the minimum % miss). This will determine the % chance that the attack missed the other pony.

So in this example, say pony with speed 1 attacks pony with speed 10. 10/11 = 0.909... . Multiply by 40 and that's 36.363... . Add 10 and that's 46.363.... That is the chance the attack will miss the other pony. So a random number generator will generate a number between 0 and 100. If it is <= 46, the attack missed. If it is > 46, the attack succeeded.

Now on the flip side, say if the speed 10 pony attacks the speed 1 pony. 1/11 = 0.090... . Multiply by 40 and that's 3.636... . Add 10 and that's 13.636... . That is the % chance the attack will miss the speed 1 pony. So if the random number is <= 13, the attack missed. If it's > 13, the attack succeeded.

Yes, two high-speed ponies will negate each other. Reason being is because a fast-speed pony can not only avoid attacks quickly but can also give attacks quickly.

For energy points, each pony starts off in battle with 50 energy points. The cap is 100. Each spell / attack will require a certain amount of energy points. The more advanced / stronger the attack or spell, the more energy points it requires.

Basically, if you don't have enough energy points for a certain spell, then you can't cast it.

For a pony with a 1 energy, that pony will gain 12 energy points per turn. A pony with a 10 energy will get 30 energy points per turn. (So 2 X energy number, + 10 is how many energy points you'd get per turn). Do you think that's too fast of a regeneration rate? Too slow?

Energy is only affected by spells / attacks cast by that pony. It will not be affected by attacks / spells endured, unless the attack / spell specifically has the ability to affect energy.

The players will create their own attacks, spells, and potions. However I determine how much energy points it will cost to use that spell or weapon.

This would be discussed among the player because I'd want to come to a fair agreement.

I am very much interested in this. I actually tried to post a discussion to see about creating a fighting RP a little while back, but all I got was interested ponys, but no discussion. I would very much like to aid you in making this an active RP. I do hope we get interest beyond just me and you, but if you wish to test the game out. I would be happy to try a fight using this system.

Name: Grey Scion

Race: Earth Pony

Weapon/spell of choice: Knives

Combat Style: Grey uses quick precise strikes with knives he has hidden all over his coat. He is typically not a front line fighter as he specializes in manipulation, but his earth pony strength and durability, although not as high as other earth ponies, allow him to hold his own. his resistance to magic is very low due to having no real way to use it. All his attacks are physical or psychological, but not magic.

> Speed and Agility - 10

> Strength - 5

> Immunity - 1

> Health - 6

> Energy - 8

Attacks: (Due to my limited imagination. I'm going to list these much like one would list pokemon attacks and leave all values ambiguous. I would specify the method he goes about these attacks based on my opponent. I do intend to RP this out, but these moves are generic so I can play with the details.)

1. Quick Slash. He uses his high dexterity to swiftly draw and simultaneously slash with one of his blades. The attack is meant to catch his opponent by surprise and give them less time to react.

2. Critical Strike. At the cost of some speed, he takes time to more carefully aim at an opponent’s vitals.

3. Counter. Relying on his higher speed and agility, he will wait to strike just before his opponent does, and attempt to interrupt their attack and render it null.

4. Psyche Out. He attempts to rile up his opponent in various ways. Whether it is through inspiring fear or just pissing them off, in an attempt to cloud their judgment and allow him to get the upper hand.

5. Relentless Attack. He puts all his energy into a constant barrage of attacks in an attempt to back his opponent into a corner and wear them down.

Grey Scion's CC app can also be found here:

// Speaking of CC, I'm checking in with a staff to see if such RP here would also be permitted in CC. I'm not entirely sure it would be, but I'd just like to check.

For experimental purposes to see how the game goes, would you like to battle my combat OC, Passion Flower?

http://www.lovinity....sionFlower.html

Speed - 4

Strength - 6

Immunity - 8

Health - 4

Energy - 5

(Total is 27, which is fine. The max is 30)

No weapons for Passion Flower. Spells:

*Basic laser - Deals a max of 10 damage. Requires 5 energy points.

*Quick attack laser - Deals a max of 10 damage. Increases his speed to 9 only during this attack. Requires 10 energy points.

*Empathy Spell - This spell replicates the previous attack of the other pony and deals it back at him/her, but only with half the maximum damage of that attack. Requires 25 energy points.

*Affirmation spell (cast on himself) - Increases Speed and Strength to 10 for the next 2 rounds. Requires 50 energy points.

*Insecurity Spell (this is a manipulation spell and is affected by immunity number) - Causes insecurity in the other pony, making his spells and attacks only half as effective for the next 2 rounds. Requires 50 energy points.

Potions:

*Regenerate health - Recovers 50 health points. There are 3 of this.

---

As for your attacks and spells, this is the energy points that would be required:

Attack 1: 5 energy points. Max damage 10.

Attack 2: 20 energy points and subtracts 5 speed (only for that attack). Max damage 30.

Attack 3: Doubles the chance of the other pony to miss his next attack. This attack cannot be used with other ones in the same round, as normal. Requires 25 energy.

Attack 4: Decreases each of the 5 abilities of the other pony by 1 during his next 3 turns. If the ability goes below 1, then it is 1. The attack can be used again before 3 rounds is up, further intensifying it. Requires 50 energy points.

Attack 5: (Since this is an OP attack, I have to add an additional condition to it). Causes the pony to be allowed to cast multiple attacks of his/her choosing, all in the same round, until all energy is drained. However, it drops his/her energy and speed by 3 for the remainder of the battle.

---

Does this sound fair? Want any changes made?

Passion would have 120 life points. You'd have 140.

Miss rate for my pony: 38%. Yours: 21%

Your pony gains 18 energy points per round. Mine gains 15.

OK recreating the character sheet with the proper filled in feilds.

Name: Grey Scion

Race: Earth Pony

Weapon/spell of choice: Knives

Combat Style: Grey uses quick precise strikes with knives he has hidden all over his coat. He is typically not a front line fighter as he specializes in manipulation, but his earth pony strength and durability, although not as high as other earth ponies, allow him to hold his own. his resistance to magic is very low due to having no real way to use it. All his attacks are physical or psychological, but not magic.

> Speed and Agility - 10

> Strength - 5

> Immunity - 1

> Health - 6 (140)

> Energy - 8 (18 regeneration)

Attacks:

1. Quick Slash. (5 energy points. Max damage 10)

He uses his high dexterity to swiftly draw and simultaneously slash with one of his blades. The attack is meant to catch his opponent by surprise and give them less time to react.

2. Critical Strike. (20 energy points and temporarily subtracts 5 speed for that attack. Max damage 30.0

At the cost of some speed, he takes time to more carefully aim at an opponent’s vitals.

3. Counter. (Doubles the chance of the other pony to miss his next attack. This attack cannot be used with other ones in the same round, as normal. Requires 25 energy)

Relying on his higher speed and agility, he will wait to strike just before his opponent does, and attempt to interrupt their attack and render it null.

4. Psyche Out. Decreases each of the 5 abilities of the other pony by 1 during his next 3 turns. If the ability goes below 1, then it is 1. The attack can be used again before 3 rounds is up, further intensifying it. Requires 50 energy points)

He attempts to rile up his opponent in various ways. Whether it is through inspiring fear or just pissing them off, in an attempt to cloud their judgment and allow him to get the upper hand.

5. Relentless Attack. (The pony to be allowed to cast multiple attacks of his/her choosing, all in the same round, until all energy is drained. However, it drops his/her energy and speed by 3 for the remainder of the battle.)

He puts all his energy into a constant barrage of attacks in an attempt to back his opponent into a corner and wear them down or finish them off.

Potions - (Forgot to choose these) 2 stamina and 1 heal.)

I wanted to ask about Counter. Since I am stalling my attack to try to counter the attack of the opponent. Can the condition be if the opponent misses I deal a small attack to them for the counter, but if they hit I miss the counter strike and get dealt slightly more damage because I screwed up the timing for the counter attack

Also I would be happy to battle Passion Flower

I just noticed your strength is slightly higher then mine, but are damage looks to be the same. May I ask what roll does strength play in the damage rolls, or more specifically. How does it affect the numbers?

We could do it like this: If the other pony "attacks" yours, and you use a counter spell, there is a (your speed) out of (speed of both ponies summed up) chance that it negates the previous attack. And thus say it did damage on your pony, that damage no longer applies if your counter negated it.

So if your pony has a speed 10 and mine has a speed 4. I throw an attack that deals 10 damage. If you use Counter on your next turn, there is a 10/14 chance the attack gets negated (I'm going to make it higher since the chances of a negation spell succeeding would naturally be higher than the chance of an attack missing), and therefore the 10 damage is nullified. However, Counter counts as your turn, and therefore it is the other pony's turn after that.

What do you think?

---

Now, as far as damage is concerned, that is the maximum damage. The max has no relations to strength. What does have effect, however, is the chance that more damage is done. So for example, an attack with a max 10 damage is cast by a pony with 8 strength on a pony with a 2 strength. The 2 strength pony will have a higher chance of getting close to, or right at, the max possible damage, than say if that pony had a strength 8, or if the pony casting the attack had only a strength 2.

This sounds reasonable. The only reason I brought up damage was because a counter attack is an attack that interrupts another attack. Where this is more akin to a dodge so, I would change the name to Evasion to better reflect the action. On a side note. This would be a maneuver rather than a spell.

3. Evasion: (Requires 25 energy. Using your speed and agility verses your opponent’s speed and agility. The pony gains a chance to circumvent an opponent’s previous attack.)

He spends all his effort on avoiding his opponent’s attack instead of making one of his own.

I see. So that's what strength does.

If this looks good, then I don't have any further questions. We can start if you'd like.

Equations for determining outcomes of battle/attacks:

Miss rate: Pony X casts an attack on Pony Y. The chance of the attack missing is the speed of pony Y divided by the total speed of X and Y. That is then multiplied by 40, and then add 10. If a random number between 0 and 100 is less than or equal to the resulting number, the attack missed. Otherwise, it was a success.

Ex: X has speed 4. Y has speed 8. 8/12 = 0.66... . X 40 is 26.66... . Add 10 and it's 36.66... . So there is a ~36% chance the attack will miss. If the random number is 0 to 36, the attack missed. Above 36, it succeeded.

---

Damage determination (rounded up):

X = (random float between 0 and 1) * (random float between (strength of attacking pony / total strength of both ponies) and 1)

Y = Maximum possible damage * X

So example. Pony 1 has strength 1. Pony 2 has strength 10. Pony 1 deals an attack with a maximum 25 damage. The equation would be:

X = (random float between 0 and 1) * (random float between 0.09... and 1)

Y = 25 * X

Add in some random numbers:

X = 0.7199310669 * 0.225320680677 (which equals 0.1622153580344268)

Y = 25 * 0.1622153580344268

The attack dealt 5 damage. Notice it was low because pony attacking only had a 1 strength, whereas pony 2 had a 10 strength. This equation hopefully ensures that not only will a lower strength equate to a lower damage, but also it is still possible to deal a max damage.

---

Now, considering the equation, I think we should double the max damage our attacks can cause, unless you're okay with a long battle RP.

---

What do you think? I think otherwise things are good besides thinking maybe we should double the max damage all our weapons and attacks can cause. And if you're good, we can begin.

I suppose an increase in damage may be nedded. Since health postions do up the healing factor quite a bit. I am fine to start. We just need a field and maybe an epic introduction. Though since this is the first test battle. I suppose we could limit it to we just don't like each other.

I must add the detail that I am not going to be on much longer. In 2 hours I have a meeting that will last 3 to 4 hours. Just a fair warning incase this takes beyond the time I have left. However, because of this I will be heavily monitering the thread for the next two hours.

Oh it's no problem. The battle may take multiple days honestly :P

I will begin the thread here shortly, but may take 15-30 minutes to write up the intro and etc. (Lovinity will be the announcer ^^). When it's ready, I'll post a link here.

In the mean time, Quick slash has max damage of 20. Critical strike has max damage of 60. Basic laser and quick attack laser deals max 20 damage. They all will still require same energy.

Side note, as it wouldn't really work in RP, Passion will not be able to use the Empathy spell if your pony uses Counter. It just wouldn't work logically. XD

That;s fine.

Also I can see how Evasion wouldn't really copy well as a game machanic. I also see that Empathy may not work correctly with Psyche Out either.

Could I get a link to your characters? I would love to read up on them in the mean time.

Sure! Passion Flower is at http://www.lovinity.org/ponysquare/PassionFlower.html

Lovinity is at http://www.lovinity.org/ponysquare/Lovinity.html

As far as the Psyche attack, I can see how Empathy would work on it. The only set-back is it'd downgrade 3 random abilities by 1 instead of all 5, because of that limitation with the spell.

Yeah because I wondered how 1 divided by 2 would work, but the three divide is fine

Oh my god. Grey has so many reasons to attack your Ponies it's not even funny. Lovinity is a walking incarnation of love and harmony the two things Grey has made his life goal to reduce in this world, and then Passion Flower is a "want to be a hero" type. That is another type of pony that Grey seeks to currupt and destroy. This is the villain verses the protector, and I am so running it that way.

Whether or not Grey's true motive is known by the other two. Well that may make for an unfortunate surprise for poor Lovinity.

Only Passion Flower is. Lovinity's not battling Grey :P She's only announcing.

And Storm I sent you a PM too if you wanted to battle in a separate RP ^^

Archived